Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,970 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (31713 Views)

How Segun Awolowo Has Ruined The Nigerian Export Promotion Commission. / Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir / Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
dayokanu:

I get it now, The killing of Akintola, Bello, Balewa etc should be behind us now but the retaliatory killings that happened a few months after should still be in public discussion. I love how you have different standard for issues.

The People who lost loved ones to Ibo soldiers should get over it, But the Ibos who lost loved ones should not get over it.

Thats where you got it wrong, Akintola was never a man to hide his opinion about issues, He does not like Ibos and he said it openly. I have heard youtube audio where he spent almost an hour talking about it. That could be one of the reasons Ibos saw him as an obstacle that needed to be killed. Thankfully Akintola has a "nephew" in Adekunle who would revenge in the ratio of 1 to 100,000

Omode tobu iroko to bojuwo eyin se komo pe oojo ko ni oluwere npani

Are you aware of the fact (according to Nzeogwu's interview, 3 days after the coup) that Akintola had started an unnecessary romance with the Sardauna on his Jihad mission and gun-running business (where large cachment of ammunitions were been smuggled into the country. Why is Akintola involved in the game of learning how to shoot with AK-47? Was he a soldier man? he paid dearly with his life because of his betrayal, that serves him right, a traitor of the deepest dye!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 8:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
tomakint:

Are you aware of the fact (according to Nzeogwu's interview, 3 days after the coup) that Akintola had started an unnecessary romance with the Sardauna on his Jihad mission and gun-running business (where large cachment of ammunitions were been smuggled into the country. Why is Akintola involved in the game of learning how to shoot with AK-47? Was he a soldier man? he paid dearly with his life because of his betrayal, that serves him right, a traitor of the deepest dye!

What kind of stupid question is this. Akintola started unnecesary Romance with Sardauna was enough reason to be killed but Azikwe and okpara who had been in a 6yr plus romance with Sardauna were not killed. Akintola NNDP went into alliance with NPC and that was the reason he was killed but NCNC that had been in alliance with NPC for donkey years did not lose its leaders?

Gun running which gun running and after they were killed where was the guns smuggled into the country or the guns suddenly dissappeared once they were killed

Akintola learning to shoot? is there a law that prohibits anyone from learning to shoot? Soyinka probably knows how to shoot Was he a soldier man? Maybe some Ibo soldiers should go and kill him because why should he learn how to shoot when he wasnt a soldier.

Are you intentionally trying to sound stupidd?

3 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by jidestar: 8:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
Monkey, just say yes or no, Have you read Prof Achebe's memoirs recently published by Penguin?.

IS UR PAPA BE MONKEY. BIG HEAD!!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 8:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
dayokanu:

What kind of stupid question is this. Akintola started unnecesary Romance with Sardauna was enough reason to be killed but Azikwe and okpara who had been in a 6yr plus romance with Sardauna were not killed. Akintola NNDP went into alliance with NPC and that was the reason he was killed but NCNC that had been in alliance with NPC for donkey years did not lose its leaders?

Gun running which gun running and after they were killed where was the guns smuggled into the country or the guns suddenly dissappeared once they were killed

Akintola learning to shoot? is there a law that prohibits anyone from learning to shoot? Soyinka probably knows how to shoot Was he a soldier man? Maybe some Ibo soldiers should go and kill him because why should he learn how to shoot when he wasnt a soldier.

Are you intentionally trying to sound stupidd?

I guess I must have struck a chord there! Well, dayokanu let's box the whole issue, we are here to debate intellectually but with the way is going now I am afraid it may lead to 'personal squabbles' which i am not prepared for. Oh! I never knew you are related to chief S.L Akintola, I hereby withdraw my statement on that, PEACE!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 8:25pm On Oct 12, 2012
tomakint:

I guess I must have struck a chord there! Well, dayokanu let's box the whole issue, we are here to debate intellectually but with the way is going now I am afraid it may lead to 'personal squabbles' which i am not prepared for. Oh! I never knew you are related to chief S.L Akintola, I hereby withdraw my statement on that, PEACE!

Once again as typical of the poster, throw in stuff and cant back it up even though they were extremely illogical. Personal squabbles? guess who started personal squabbles?

tomakint: Are you a 'born psychopath' or a 'trained psychopath'?

But in a typical fashion, Lets forget one stone thrown but trump up the response to the initial stone thrown
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 8:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
dayokanu:

Once again as typical of the poster, throw in stuff and cant back it up even though they were extremely illogical. Personal squabbles? guess who started personal squabbles?

But in a typical fashion, Lets forget one stone thrown but trump up the response to the initial stone thrown

He's got you there Tomakint.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by EkoIle1: 8:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
Monkey, just say yes or no, Have you read Prof Achebe's memoirs recently published by Penguin?.

The question is, is the snippet about Awolowo and Yoruba people we've been reading about not in the book? You are too old to be trolling with this nonsense about reading the book especially when the argument has nothing to do with all the other horse tails in the book. This is simply about that one or two paragraphs.

Asking us to read the book before commenting on what we've read means he really didn't mean anything about what he said about Awolowo in that paragraph and he changed his mind later in the book so we really should ignore the insane and tribalistic lunacy in the paragraph about Awolowo.

I tell you, ibo logic is nothing but shalanga logic...

2 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 8:29pm On Oct 12, 2012
Katsumoto:

He's got you there Tomakint.

typical of katsumoto!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 8:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
tomakint:

typical of katsumoto!

How so?

You threw the first salvo but Dayo ignored it. But when he threw his, you complained.

He then demonstrated that you threw the first salvo and I made my comment.

Anyway, your posts have revealed a lot about you.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 8:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
Katsumoto:

How so?

You threw the first salvo but Dayo ignored it. But when he threw his, you complained.

He then demonstrated that you threw the first salvo and I made my comment.

Anyway, your posts have revealed a lot about you.

Of course he would come back and say we are the retrogressive yorubas. When he did his own he was ok with it and everyone should be cool with it, when I responded in kind he is now complaining

Is that not similar to "I think by now that should be behind us" when we are talking about the first coup, But when discussing about the Biafra war, he thinks its a justified claim.

Back to the issue, Maybe some other people can enlighten us about the supposed guns Sardauna and Akintola were bringing, the guns that suddently dissapeared on january 16 1966 after they were killed.

Why its an offence punishable by death for Akintola to "romance" with Sardauna, But not enough to kill Azikwe, Okpara, Osadebey and other NCNC people who have been in this romance with Sardauna for a decade.

And on the question of asking why Akintola was learning how to shoot, i think thats the limit. And I asked when Soyinka another civilian who knows how to shoot would be killed

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 8:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
dayokanu:

Of course he would come back and say we are the retrogressive yorubas. When he did his own he was ok with it and everyone should be cool with it, when I responded in kind he is now complaining

Is that not similar to "I think by now that should be behind us" when we are talking about the first coup, But when discussing about the Biafra war, he thinks its a justified claim.

Back to the issue, Maybe some other people can enlighten us about the supposed guns Sardauna and Akintola were bringing, the guns that suddently dissapeared on january 16 1966 after they were killed.

Why its an offence punishable by death for Akintola to "romance" with Sardauna, But not enough to kill Azikwe, Okpara, Osadebey and other NCNC people who have been in this romance with Sardauna for a decade.

And on the question of asking why Akintola was learning how to shoot, i think thats the limit. And I asked when Soyinka another civilian who knows how to shoot would be killed

Akintola was the Aare Onakankafo and it should have been expected of him to know how to shoot. After all, Africans had been using guns for a few centuries. In any case, there wasn't any law prohibiting civilians from owning guns. Many civilians in fact owned guns at that point. Despite my views about Akintola's role in the the issues of the West between 1963-66, I have to note that he was the only one to fight back on that fateful night.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
Tomakint is not Yoruba. How can a Yoruba person say it serves Ademulegun, Col. Shodeinde etc. right for getting killed by Igbos. But Yorubas should apologize for the death of Igbo civilians who rejoiced after the coup?

Tomakint is either Igbo, came out of his mother with his legs, or fell from his mother's back. Useless dolt!

4 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha: 10:40pm On Oct 12, 2012
Eko Ile:

The question is, is the snippet about Awolowo and Yoruba people we've been reading about not in the book? You are too old to be trolling with this nonsense about reading the book especially when the argument has nothing to do with all the other horse tails in the book. This is simply about that one or two paragraphs.

Asking us to read the book before commenting on what we've read means he really didn't mean anything about what he said about Awolowo in that paragraph and he changed his mind later in the book so we really should ignore the insane and tribalistic lunacy in the paragraph about Awolowo.

Monkey, this your moronic posts goes a long way to show how the yoruba apes here are different from the Yorubas of awolowo generation.
I WEEP FOR THE MODERN DAY YORUBAS. Why can't they read the book before commenting about a book they have not read. This is stupidity at the highest level.
You are free to criticise Prof Achebe's book, it is normal in the literary world, but not when you haven't read it. Oh my God, where is the common sense of yorubas nowadays?. God, please help, these your children need help, i mean the apes here.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by EkoIle1: 10:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
Monkey, this your moronic posts goes a long way to show how the yoruba apes here are different from the Yorubas of awolowo generation.
I WEEP FOR THE MODERN DAY YORUBAS. Why can't they read the book before commenting about a book they have not read. This is stupidity at the highest level.
You are free to criticise Prof Achebe's book, it is normal in the literary world, but not when you haven't read it. Oh my God, where is the common sense of yorubas nowadays?. God, please help, these your children need help, i mean the apes here.

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha: 11:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
kindabigg: Tomakint is not Yoruba. How can a Yoruba person say it serves Ademulegun, Col. Shodeinde etc. right for getting killed by Igbos. But Yorubas should apologize for the death of Igbo civilians who rejoiced after the coup?

Tomakint is either Igbo, came out of his mother with his legs, or fell from his mother's back. Useless dolt!
Monkey, you think there are no yorubas who knows the truth. You think every yoruba is a liar like you. Bastard.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 11:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
Thanks, no one reckons with his silly posts anymore.

I thought u were gone!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 11:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
Katsumoto:

There are many points that I can bring to debates on NL but I leave out because they are hearsay or points shared in confidence....

Pls, bring them on Katz....they will do more good!
Im tired of what are publicly available!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 11:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
jidestar:

IS UR PAPA BE MONKEY. BIG HEAD!!

Jide, u for answer this question first na.
Me sef never read the book...no biggie!
Abeg, lets not bring in trivial issues here!

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by JudgeLaski: 8:39am On Oct 13, 2012
EVIL MUST BE CONDEMNED. But I doubt if the tribes annihilated by Israelites will see good in their fate. So, what is evil to one man is good to another in fact it is divine goodness to some. We can only use a utilitarian calculus of jurisprudence to determine which is better "evil" or "good". In this calculus, anything that satisfies the greatest number of people is adjudged as better even though some may see it as evil. Unfortunately, Prof. Chinua Achebe, for reasons best known to him, left too many things unsaid (apologies to the critique of Chimamanda). If the case is just as the eminent Prof. presented it: Awo starved millions to death for his own ambition. then Awo was a demon. However, if Awo could controvert this claim of Achebe with evidence that he or his own people were in jeopardy hence he refused to support any cause that will consummate their jeopardy then Awo was not a demon but an angel - at least for his own people and for anyone who could do the same to salvage a race. Invariably, we cannot get anywhere by half truths and full blown lies. Prof. Achebe, understandably an ambassador of Biafra, should let us know the following: (1) The facts that fueled the fear of ethnic domination from 1950 to 1960. (2) The political equilibrium/ judicial conviction that kept Western leaders in prison and kept north and east in northern leaders in power. (3) The coincidence that led to killing of Western Northern leaders and the elevation of Easter leaders to power. (4) The right of secession in federalism (5) Human rights to self governance (7) The terms of settlement, if any, offered to Biafran leaders and whilst war was preferable to those terms. (cool The specific provisions of Geneva Conventions on the laws of warfare that prohibits economic sanctions or food blockade in armed conflict. (9) Whether in the Opinion of the Prof. starvation could have been prevented if Biafran leaders conceded earlier than when they did (10) If secession is an absolute truth what should be done now to ensure its success this time or in future? (11) Will Prof Achebe’s book compel indicted ethnic groups to see Igbos as genuine partners in the Nigerian Enterprise? (12) If the Nigerian Enterprise is worthwhile what can be done to ensure its success?
13) Drawing inference from African faultiness, (Liberia, Darfur-Sudan, Somalia, etc) would a break-up make ethnic nationalities better or become mutually hostile groups in a permanent theater of war? Support your answer with pre-colonial peace/wars.
Personally, as a human being, I cannot say Awo was infallible. Nor were the other actors in that unfortunate war. That Prof Achebe chose to say his own side of the story clearly demonstrate the kind of attitude that led to the war in the first instance: we were right, they were wrong! If Achebe could not see any significant imperfections in the attitude of Biafran leaders as well. then, am afraid other ethnic groups, can become frenzied (as per his claim against Awo) when they are confronted by a Holier-Than-Thou-Army. Hence, civil war. I hope Prof. Achebe will not be disappointed that his book nudges us towards the brink again.
Prof. H J Laski memorably notes in his book A Grammar of Politics.
…The glamour of war is as unreal as the bought affection of a prostitute; it exists only in the imagination of those who have not known it deadly furies. For the few to whom it comes to as an occasion of chivalrous exploits, there are the millions to whom it means death and disease and maimed lives. Its agonies do not touch in any realistic way, those that direct its operations; and for the actual combatants it is the organized and deliberate destruction of all that make humanity a precious thing…We must not forget its mental legacies: fear and hate, envy and revenge.
All chief actors in the theater of civil war never died as a result of the war. Achebe himself is aging peacefully in the warm embrace of his family. How about the millions of grassroots and foot-soldiers of the war?
N.B Proportionality, cautions and distinction are rules of engagement under the laws of warfare. See Geneva conventions. Conditional Economic sanctions or food blockade has not been adjudged as war crimes under the Rome Statute or in the Nuremberg Trials in Germany. At least it has to be proved that civilians died or Prisoners of War died as a result of denial in spite of their surrender to the army.

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by mpumalanga: 9:13am On Oct 13, 2012
" ... How correct is Chinua Achebe in his criticism of Obafemi
Awolowo for acclaiming starvation as a weapon in a war? Even if Awolowo was not in the position to effect his belief in starvation as a weapon during the war, the fact remains that he (Awolowo) publicly took that position and was widely reported in the media in Nigeria and abroad. In fact, years after the war, critics of Awolowo, understandably from the Biafran side, so accused him and he could not deny as the evidence was there."
- Duro Onabule
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 10:39am On Oct 13, 2012
[quote author=dayokanu]

What kind of stupid question is this. Akintola started unnecesary Romance with Sardauna was enough reason to be killed but Azikwe and okpara who had been in a 6yr plus romance with Sardauna were not killed.

maybe you need to invoke the spirit of nzeogwu to explain to you why akintola was part of those penciled down for eliminations. ibadan already had gone chaotic as a result of frictions between akintola's thugs vs action group's thugs. the soldiers must come in!

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by WilyWily5: 1:21pm On Oct 13, 2012
dayokanu:
Yoruba were killing/burning each other to dead because of Akintola, they want him to die by all means, the majors heard their pleads and killed Akintola. To show how Yorubas hated Akintola, immediately he died peace returned to Yorubaland.
To all Yoruba, Benii or beko (yes or no)

2 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2012
The same spirit of Nzeogwu should be held responsible for the death of 2million Igbos who were collateral damage.

Kudos to Benjamin Black Scorpion Adekunle who evened the scores on his own term
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by amor4ce(m): 9:32pm On Oct 13, 2012
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by joeyfire(m): 10:09pm On Oct 13, 2012
Funny how you lot sing about igbos "not respecting their hosts" and how they "provoke" their hosts and so on bla bla bla. But you never identify any particular way you are supposedly being provoked. If you are natural bigot you should accept it and stop clutching at straws

amor4ce: Prior to the January 1966 coup the Igbo people had been provoking the Hausa-Fulani who in turn dealt severely with them. Yet, the Igbo went ahead with their very biased coup d'etat. On May 29 1966 these northerners had a bloody revenge and the Igbo declared a secession. Many northerners would still have harboured grievance against the Igbo for killing their revered leaders, and these northerners would have seen the declaration of war as an opportunity to really get their revenge with the probability that a sizable number joined the military for this purpose. Thus, many of the alleged 2-3 million Igbo victims of the civil war may have been fallen at the hands of Hausa-Fulani soldiers. The Igbo boast exceedingly and do not learn. They provoke others who react. What would this country have been like if the Igbo did not foolishly and continuously seek to dominate others instead of seeing them as equals? What would this country have been like if the Igbo never staged the January 1966 coup?

Judge Laski posed some serious questions but the Igbo as usual would ignore and/or try to deflect, not taking responsibility for their actions.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 10:13pm On Oct 13, 2012
joeyfire: Funny how you lot sing about igbos "not respecting their hosts" and how they "provoke" their hosts and so on bla bla bla. But you never identify any particular way you are supposedly being provoked. If you are natural bigot you should accept it and stop clutching at straws

For one How do you go to someone elses place and declare the place a no mans land?

The same reason they gave for killing other leaders and sparing theirs. While at the same time releasing song and calendars extolling the coupist and showing the Sardauna under the foot of Nzeogwu and ironsi

And they got what they deserved both from the Hausas and from a fellow Ogbomosho man, Benjamin Babamaja Adekunle during the Biafra war
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 12:38am On Oct 14, 2012
dayokanu:

For one How do you go to someone elses place and declare the place a no mans land?

The same reason they gave for killing other leaders and sparing theirs. While at the same time releasing song and calendars extolling the coupist and showing the Sardauna under the foot of Nzeogwu and ironsi

And they got what they deserved both from the Hausas and from a fellow Ogbomosho man, Benjamin Babamaja Adekunle during the Biafra war

typical of a psychopath that u re
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 2:34am On Oct 14, 2012
tomakint: typical of a psychopath that u re

No problem I learnt from the best Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Nwobosi Onwuatuegwu etc

When the hunter has learnt to shoot without missing the bird has learnt to fly without perching

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by amor4ce(m): 4:48am On Oct 14, 2012
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by joeyfire(m): 9:28am On Oct 14, 2012
At least somebody is trying to say something now. Amor4ce is hiding behind you but no wahala.

Abeg when did igbos declare your place a "no mans land" I would like to know the people and the time. As for what happened in 1966, is anybody still killing your leaders?

I've heard a lot about "provoking your hosts" and all that and I want to understand where you guys are coming from, when did igbos come together and announce that your land is no mans land? Also list the provocations abeg thanks
dayokanu:

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:35am On Oct 14, 2012
tomakint:

What else do I need to prove my identity to you 'bunch of Yorubacentric bigots' I have said many time here times without number that, "I am a Yoruba man, not a TYPICAL one like you". Omo ale ni n fi owo osi ju we ile Baba e (It's only a bastard that use his or her left hand to describe the house of his or her father)! Yoruba ro nu e (Yorubas let's think deeply), my friend, stop deceiving yourself by being Yorubacentric, it's a 'caveman mentality' grow up, we don't have to agree on the same thing all the time. Wole Soyinka and many other Yorubas were against their fellow Yoruba kinsmen during the war, does that make him (them) a less Yoruba man or men?
an awolowo spoke and advocated a neutral west wen d war started, but how did ojukwu pay back? He brought his army to yoruba land, that was the turning point, if ojukwu had took his army directly to d north and left d yoruba wu said they were neutral alone he would have had a leg to stand on. Ojukwu blew it, he removed d mat from under his own legs and had to bear d consequences.

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by joeyfire(m): 9:38am On Oct 14, 2012
Quit puzzyfooting around and answer my question jack. I ask how igbos provoke their hosts and you are reciting the sae 1966 story. How are igbos provoking your people. U haven't been able to outline the much touted provocation that is deserving of conflict. I believe that it boils down to xenophobia and orientation and nothing else. Like I said if you are bigot be proud of what you are. There are lots of bigots in the world so u should feel comfortable in your skin

amor4ce: He quoted my comment in which I mentioned one particular act of provocation, but he responded like he didn't see it. Is it that these people are so blinded by greed that they interpret any act of provocation on their part as normal, but when those they provoke react they cry marginalization? They cry for Biafra now whereas they benefit from Nigeria since they sell rice, beans, garri, panadol in various cities across the country. With Biafra and the their history of annoying other Nigerian ethnic nationalities, who would want to have anything to do with them?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

President Buhari Receives Governor Dave Umahi In Aso Rock (Photos) / Igbo Youth President Warns Obasanjo Over Anti-jonathan Comments / Ministries With Huge Shares In 2016 Budget (chart)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.