Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,141 members, 7,842,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

#DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ - Romance (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ (19538 Views)

What Is The Ideal Number Of Rounds Of Sex A Man Should Go? / Things Every Man Should Learn To Do / Weekend Debate: A Man Is Right To Assert His. . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 15, 2012
Good morning judges, moderators and debaters. Dont8's original openng statement is in blue while my rebuttal is in red.

I'll start with the cliche that says, give a woman an inch and she will take a mile, in that regard, the man has to assert his authority/superioty in the relationship, if that relationship is to work. We all know that two captains cannot be in a ship or else, it turns Titanic and it will capsize and hit a brickwall.

am not here to respond to that cliche as my team mate mrs chima has done justice to that. So I would be addressing the ship issue.
I wasn't in titanic so I couldn't have been able to tell if it was only a captain that sailed the ship.
But one thing am sure of is, a big and large ship such as titanic would never have been sailed or controlled by just one captain.
I believe that if a ship has two captains it will row to safety and not capsize and hit a brickwall as you have stated .
Why Where one captain sails a ship and encounters any difficulty he might not know how to attend to such situation but when they are two, one captain uses the others experience and TOGETHER they sail the ship safely through the storms and obstructions.
Afterall as they say "two heads are better than one"

What baffles me nowadays is that the church is condoning what the bible frowns /teaches concerning women in the church, because they're not even allow to talk in places of worship, but remain silent and if need be for them to talk, they have to talk to the man she's sitting with, this shows how God views the importance of man's authority towards women generally.

I wouldn't want to delve so much into the bible says and all that but I want to enlighthen us that 1 corinthians 11: 9 &10 says
Neither was the man created for the woman ; but the woman for the man.
For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

I want to bring to your notice that it didn't say that the man had power over the woman's head.

But I must say, asserting authority is not same as, bullying, harrassing or intimidating towards women, but to control her exccesiveness and must be submissive for her own good.

this is not actually true but how does one even determines a woman excessiveness
I would say that you are being judgemental by not facing the real facts.
Here is a thesaurus definition of excessiveness
Synonyms: excessive, exorbitant, extravagant, immoderate, inordinate, extreme, unreasonable
These adjectives mean exceeding a normal, usual, reasonable, or proper limit. Excessive describes a quantity, amount, or degree that is more than what is justifiable, tolerable, or desirable

I would like to ask when does a woman exceed her normal limit?
What is even the said normal limit a woman can attain before a man becomes being authoritative??

You don't expect a man to be decisive over a woman and then she sees it as an issue and then you term her attitude as excessiveness

Yes its undisputed that a woman ought to be submissive in all of her doings but not to an authoritative man who lords over her life and tells her what to do and what not to do and bosses her around.
I would also add that authoritative men will abuse their women becuse such men would lack being polite in relating to their women.
authoritative is effective with your followers, whether you’re a business man, a teacher, or a religious figure.

But authoritative is off-putting to those who view you as a friend and equal. Keep that in mind, and be wary of who you come off as authoritative around, and you should be able to use this tone to your advantage, and limit its negative effects upon your relationship.

By being authoritative, what I mean is a man tells others what to do, and gives very blunt, direct advice.
I await your rebuttal
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by MrsChima(f): 1:54pm On Oct 15, 2012
goofie: hey guys.sorry i disappointed u but i ws a little ill. but i dont kno if i'l be allowed to join in now. Sexkillz pls i need ur response ASAP

am feeling u guys.Mrs Chima u r making us proud.

Thank you baby. kiss

I want to make another contribution but not sure if its too late.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by ayobase(m): 2:38pm On Oct 15, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Thank you baby. kiss

I want to make another contribution but not sure if its too late.

Go ahead, ''3 posts'' as said by Mr. Moderator!
Still contemplating working on my third cos of my busy schedule!
This is no more weekend debate. Today is Monday.
Gez ur day has been cool and unfolding as opted!
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 2:41pm On Oct 15, 2012
Plz my arguments are ready. Once i power my lappy I'll post them successively. Thanks
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by goofie: 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2012
lets hear it Mrs Chima
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by dont8(m): 3:42pm On Oct 15, 2012
Mine is in blue as usual, while that of my opponent will be in red below.

Thanks.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by dont8(m): 4:29pm On Oct 15, 2012
---
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by dont8(m): 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2012
Protocol duly observed...
Good afternoon NLanders, I'm here to counter Candygosh's argument.

Without wasting time, my opponent said "It is right for a man to assert his superiority in a relationship
because he was created to be stronger, decisive, wise and firm by God" am not a religious type but if God created man to be stronger and decisive then why was the woman created??

Do I start by telling you that God that is omnipresent, omnipotent and all the adjectives you can use to qualify him, do have angels as helper that he delegate duties unto, talkless a mere mortal.

I want to say that the woman was created so she could be his helper
-she was created so he would have a companion.

And a companion is someone you can share your everything with.

You're so on point, a man will definitely share his EVERYTHING with a submissive wife anyday, anytime and anywhere.

A companion is not someone you should assert your authority on.

A companion is someone that you both mutually agree on decisions together in a relationship.

To assert authority is simply to bring control, sanity and orderliness in the home, nevertheless, I strongly believe the woman should have a say/opinion, but it's left to the man to evaluate her suggestion(s).
It seems my opponent doesn't understand the meaning of the word "assert" and what it means to be assertive.

To assert means to to declare positive and often forcefully or aggresively.
Now tell me mr B ; why should a man want to forcefully and agressively pronounce his authority on a woman.

You said to ASSERT means forceful, that is not true in the context of a relationship, but can be true depending on the context to which you're using the definition i.e in dictatorial and military setup and the likes.

Check out the synonyms of Assert from the Merrian Webster dictionary you quoted from-Affirm, Avow, Guarantee and Profess. Do you also know that a child can assert his/her right?

Even biblically, it was written that for this reason shall a man leave his mother and father and be united to his wife and they will become one flesh. It didn't say he will leave his mother and father and begin to assert authority on his wife and make her his slave.

I will not even quote from the Bible because it's anti-feminism, but I believe it's a common sense to have a leader in a union who'll sail the ship.

Again my opponent said that
"why do Real men show their superiority
in a relationship?
But excuse me mr B, how do one define a real man in a relationship??
Does enforcing superiority show being a real man??
What man calls himself real by not valuing his partners opinion, by ignoring her emotions, by making her his pet??
As also said by my opponent "The truth is, a
man will only assert or show is superiority in a relationship when the woman in question is
not cooperative, stubborn, and disobedient.

Everyman as what he believes in, therefore it is highly important for a woman to share in
the hopes and aspiration of a man in order to have a successful relationship. Behind every
successful man, there's a supportive, Obedient, cooperative woman"

Yes, a man will assert his authority over the bolded, but a man will likely not enforce or assert authority over a submissive woman dat knows her duty as wife/partner.

I want to say that my opponent is just viewing this arguement from one angle and its wrong for him to have said a man will only assert his authority when the woman is not coperative, stubborn and disobedient. No woman will ever be happy with an abusive and assertive relationship where a man tells her dat she must not do this and must not do dat!
So also every man is to share in what his woman believes.

Why wont a woman be submissive to her man, even the Bible you quoted from admonished you to!

Behind every sucessful relationship is a listening man who doesn't jettison the counsel of his woman

Reading between the lines of my opponents post Has also made me come to a only a self centered man that exerts his authority in a relationship and also disrespect her opinions.

A wise man will assert his God's given authority over a woman, A wise man
will not jettison the opinion of his woman, A wise man will not disrespect his woman.

PS: A wise woman at the bolded!

“Real magic in relationships means an absence of judgment of others.” - Wayne Dyer

Asserting an authority does not literally translate to being judgemental of others, but bring sanity.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 4:58pm On Oct 15, 2012
This is my response to MBJ’s opening argument.

So before we start this debate, we should all understand that to ASSERT anything, you have to possess that character/faculty. So let's look at how we (men) automatically got that authority/superiority in marriage, before we could ever think of asserting it. To do so we have to look at MARRIAGE. Marriage is the union of two individual who want to grown and share their lives together, build a strong bond/unit, in order to strive for the future as a family. Like anything else out there, marriage can only function PROPERLY, if all the participants UNDERSTAND and ACCEPT their duties in that said unit, and fulfill them to the best of their abilities. There is no need to dwell on WHAT these duties are, as it is irrelevant to this debate. What is important here is to understand that both participants want to achieve the best for that said union.

You are right in saying that the purpose of marriage is to form a strong bond/unit and that each partner wants what is best for that union. But then again, for this union to function properly there need to be an understanding of what the roles of the man and woman should be and the dedication in carrying out said duties will determine the strength and/or weakness of the bond bearing in mind that a duty is not shoved on a partner since it is a mutual union; instead duties are apportioned after discussions by both party.

Just like any partnership/organization, we all know that in order to avoid mayhem and chaos, you need to have a dedicated person who will have the ultimate say on any disagreement. There can be NO PEACE in any partnership/organization/union if a dedicated "leader" is not chosen. To have a leader DOES NOT mean that this person is better than others, it simply means that this dedicated person would be the one who who has the ultimate say on all the necessary important decision, bring order and control to the unit, "if" some disagreements should arise. Sadly, it is socially inadequate/wrong (in most of the world that we live in today), to have a woman in charge in matrimony. She may be the silent leader inside the home, but to the outside world, she must submit and let that man be viewed as the leader. A marriage with a woman being in charge will AUTOMATICALLY be viewed as abnormal by society (unless you live in some Scandinavian countries etc)

My opponent needs to understand that being a ‘leader’ and being ‘superior’ are two different things. A superior believes he is more important than others; a leader on the other hand carries his unit along. A leader listens to opinions and actually considers them; a superior by definition does not really care about your input instead he goes on to do whatsoever he desires. What society thinks of your marriage is of little importance, the outside world does not run a home. To have a woman as the leader in a home and then pretend to the society that the man actually makes the rules is nothing short of hypocritical. If a man feels inadequate enough to carry a small unit along and his spouse has the capability to do so, are you suggesting that the man in all his inexperience still make decisions? If the answer to that is yes, how does that decision reflect on the need to form a strong bond and proper development to the family?

So do men really have authority?! No, but this is how great marriages have been portrayed through generations and generations. Society wants it to look that way.....and many of us grew up under such school of thought (daddy went to work and put food on the table, while mommy took care of the children/home). Many are conditioned to believe that this is how a good home should be; how a "real" man is pictured; how a great family function.
Let's all remember that just because daddy has the ultimate say, DOES NOT mean mommy cannot put her input in the family affairs. so really, when people want to assert their Authority/superiority, they simply want to put a certain foundation in marriage that we all know has been successful for centuries. the important question IS: is that such a bad thing? can there really be two cooks in one kitchen?!

Of course men have no authority in marriage, but you’re supporting this motion which means you agree with the proposition. To assert superiority means that mommy has little or no say in what daddy desires. All you have succeeded in doing here is contradict yourself. You are either in support of the motion or you are against it; you are simply seeking a middle ground.

The sad fact of this matter is that many people mistakingly believe that being the "leader" in matrimony means to have power over another, to dismiss whatever comes out of their brain etc....which is not true. It simply is a way for women to show devotion to their union (although the points they may bring to the table will always be evaluated). Just because a wife allows her husband to be in charge of the union, does NOT mean that this person has power over her, it simply means that you trust that person's judgment, and let them be the ultimate say in the affairs of that said family, in order to not have chaos in this partnership/organization/union. A submissive wife can still give her opinion/say in a marriage, and bring great points to the table to make the union better, so long as she understands who will have the ultimate say if disagreements were to come about. This is one of the main characters sought after by most men looking for a good wife......to be submissive.

Men want women who submit to them in humility, women want men who respects their opinions. That is what an ideal marriage should look like. Asserting authority or superiority however does not reflect an ideal marriage; instead it means that the man thinks his opinion should always supersede his spouse’s because society expects a man makes the rules.

So, now that we understand where men AUTOMATICALLY got the authority/superiority status in marriage, lets look at WHY someone would want to assert it:

- It could also be because of power.
Due to the fact that a man bring much more to a union (financially), he may believe that he has the upper hand and can decide on what’s best for
this r/ship (or not). This is a common occurrence when men don’t see the value of women who care for the home, raise children, cook and clean, instead of bringing a pay check.

Bringing home a paycheck does not give one the upper hand. The economic situation of the country today makes it absolutely necessary for women to work and generate additional income for the family. Following this trend can I then say that a woman who earns more than her husband does, and still takes on the traditional role of taking care of the family can be the superior? I’m sure that will be seen as a taboo! Any man that thinks a housewife is not contributing equally to the relationship can explain how he feels not finding food on the table, his children looking unkempt, and a dirty home when he returns from work. The simple fact that she ensures a serene environment for him is a mighty task.

- it could be that this man paid his bride price, therefore believes that he owns his wife.
Sadly, we have to blame society for this, and all the parents who gladly sell off their daughters, like she is some commodity via "bride price". here is how some men think: IF I BUY SOMETHING; I OWN IT! therefore if i pay bride price, i own that women. Any person who owns something automatically has authority over it.

Paying of bride price has always being an African tradition. In other countries like India where a woman pays dowry, can it be said that since she paid for him he is her puppet? Again, amongst the monarchs in England a man chooses a bride he is sure has enough money to add to his wealth. So can it also be deduced that since she contributes more financially he is her property? Paying of bride price has always been a means for a man to thank the family of the bride for raising such a remarkable female. If a man didn’t think it necessary having a wife that would complete him, the mere idea of a payment would chase him away.

-
It could be that his wife is doing something that is UNACCEPTABLE in marriage.
Many women may want to do things that is regarded as unacceptable behaviors for married women (such unacceptable behaviors should be discussed BEFORE marriage). So, a man needs to step in and take the bull by the horn, and set this lady straight so she doesn’t forget who she is. If after asserting his authority, this lady still wants to live her unacceptable lifestyle, then this man needs to separate himself from such lady, and go find a lady that fits his requirements.

Let us a look at some ‘unacceptable behavior’ for married men instead. A man who leaves his wife at home with his kids and goes on a trip with a young lady is most certainly deemed acceptable in a marriage. Society always says ‘don’t fight your husband because if you do, he’ll leave you’; this is a clear depiction of double standards; this is the kind of thing that happens when you let society run your marriage. A man is allowed to be unfaithful but a woman isn’t. A man who asserts superiority and authority in a marriage will never think about his spouse’s feelings; man who is a ‘leader’ does.

- And last but not least, RELIGION also has a big part to play in this matter, because it is clearly written in the Bible/Qur'an that a man should always have authority over women.

It is also written in the scriptures that a woman was made out of necessity for man to have a partner. A man by scriptural values is to love his wife and not take her as a property, or an inferior being.

Like I stated earlier, it is obvious my opponent is against the notion of a man asserting authority over his wife but instead he expects them to be leaders. A leader does not assert superiority, instead guides by example.
Thank you.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 5:15pm On Oct 15, 2012
This is my response to MBJ’s argument in the second round.

Right from the start, we can see that Acidosis is on the wrong track, calling such notion a gross misinformation, without asking or listening for the WHY of such action....... A clear point that we have to understand here is that the reason why some men today MUST assert their authority, while our forefathers didnt have to do so, is because some women of today want to be equal with men, while back in the days women knew their place in matrimony, and had no desire to challenge men's authority in marriage. Nowadays, since some women are different, some men MUST assert their authority....something that men back in the days didnt have to do.

Let me remind you that this topic is but a mere proposition. If it were a statement of fact, we will not have a need to debate on it.
The reason men think they have to assert authority/superiority today is because they feel threatened by women’s blossoming indeoendence. It is usually said among psychologists that men love when women are dependent on them; maybe it makes them feel macho, and that the moment they notice an independent streak they feel threatened. The simple truth is that we are in an enlightened age; the worls has clearly passed the stage where sexism was the order. Back in the days a woman wouldn’t dare speak about an abusive marriage because society didn’t see anything wrong with the way men treated their spouse, needless to say it was a man’s world. But today things are different and thanks to the men who were in power, women have been empowered to speak out.

The fact that Acidosis believes that a person who asserts his authority DOESNT love his partner, is where he is again not looking at this issue the RIGHT way, and obviously misunderstanding this notion. Asserting your authority has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with LOVE, and ALL to do with the mechanics of a union. You assert your authority for the betterment of your union, to make sure that both of you will love one another stronger, and the FAMILY even more, to make sure that both of you will work towards making the FAMILY better, and to make sure that the family is at its optimum....... And sadly, to do that, you sometimes have to give up on some few things that were available during the dating period
.You are absolutely right, this is what people should do when they enter a relationship, BUT, as this relationship develops into MARRIAGE, then the concern should be about the well-being of the FAMILY (aka unit as "ONE" ), rather than the sole needs of your partner. The partner is no more the focus here (aka #1), the FAMILY/UNIT is, and therefore some things may have to change.

What love isn’t is arrogant. A man who asserts superiority in marriage is certainly arrogant. How then can you say that a superior man actually loves his wife? Asserting authority and/or superiority has everything to do with love. Since my opponent has quoted from the bible I’m sure he is conversant with the book of 1st Corinthians 13; this chapter clearly states the characteristics of love. A man who loves his wife will ensure to make her happy and comfortable in that union; if not, why then do you describe her as ‘your other half’. It is important that a man knows that if his wife is not happy with the marriage then he can never be happy in it.

How can Acidosis (or any person out there) expect to have the same union in relationship, as you have in marriage? That's a different ball game entirely.
In a romantic relationship, a man DOESN'T have to assert his authority because the participants are still TWO separate entities who are dating and getting to know one another. So the man cares for the direct personal needs of this woman, and vice versa, and if they like what is provided to them, they happily continue in this relationship. On the other hand, in marriage they care for the family FIRST, therefore the sole personal needs of one of the participant may be overlooked (or put aside) to make sure that the union run smoothly. This is a very small price to pay in order to have a successful union.
A man in a romantic relationship DOES NOT see himself as an absolute monarch/boss, but when a man and a woman decide to take their relationship to the next level then there is a need for understanding that FAMILY would comes first, and this will supersede any personal needs that may be required by one of the participants. Most people in matrimony understand that and work in tandem to achieve such harmony, but sadly many dont and still want to have their personal needs satisfied over the needs of that said family........ And this is the reason why many men have to assert their authority in marriage.

A family is started by both man and woman. Like I mentioned they are both halves that make up a whole. For a relationship to wax strong then both need to be satisfied in its working. The first duty a man has is to his wife, likewise a woman’s duty is to her husband first; these two make up the family at its foundation and once there’s dissatisfaction on either side it affects the whole.
When the family’s well being is talked about, we need to understand that both man and woman each share an equal stake; since they started it together it means they both have a say in what goe on in it. Now in this decision making process, there may crop up some disagreements in how certain affairs should be run, the question is how these disagreements should be resolved. Does the man go on to assert authority even when it seems like the woman may be on the right path instead? Many a marriages have failed in the past simply because the men in a bid ti assert superiority refused to listen to their wives. Men’s a natural instinct to conquer and possess have sometimes led families to bankruptcy; whereas the natural instinct of the woman to nurture coupled with her intuition have saved most families.

The liberation of men from the assertive call in relationship will only happen when all women decide to be submissive for the betterment of their marriage. Please, do not take MBJ's words as an invitation to have men treat women badly, but simply as an invitation to love women properly, in a safe family environment, in order to make marriages function at their possible best, and in harmony.

My opponent has based his argument on the assumption that a woman is exceeding her limits in the marriage. What then is the measurement of a woman’s marital limits? Is he then saying that when a woman is submissive then the man may not assert superiority?
I can also then say that in an ideal union a man will not be right to assert superiority and authority in a relationship.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by ayobase(m): 5:17pm On Oct 15, 2012
Mr. Moderator, Im still pleading.
Don't let the Judges take my ONE POST (A REPLY COUNTERING A POST) but being divided into TWO POSTING BOXES as TWO POSTS due to limit of number of characters.
I tried SQEEZING, but not WORKING!
Im trying to work on my 3rd POST countering Mrs. Chima FINAL REPLY.
Thank you!
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 5:19pm On Oct 15, 2012
I still oppose the motion “A Man Is Right to Assert Superiority/Authority in a Relationship”

It is imperative to remind us as earlier stated that for an action to be deemed right it needs to have evidence of fact and moral acceptance.
Every relationship consisting of willing companions is usually founded on a mutual understanding and respect for each other. Therefore, it will be wrong for a man to suddenly think that he has the right to be the boss of a woman just because he has the physical advantage and the benefit of creation. An action like this is frowned upon by religion and by way of reason.

Marriage as an institution based on ‘necessity’ refers most importantly to the complementing values. Most often we hear sentimental statements like ‘she is the perfect woman’ and in religious circles ‘my God given woman’. Now a perfect spouse wouldn’t mean one exactly like you are as some people tend to assume, it would a mean a perfect embodiment of everything you are not. Since marriage is two people becoming one, we can call it getting a perfect match for a jig-saw puzzle. Now picture a scenario where a complete hot headed man incapable of rational thoughts believes he is superior to his wife who possesses common sense? Can you see how downhill that relationship is going? Marriage ensures that for everything we lack in our personality, we have a partner that possesses it.

Again following biblical tradition (for those who subscribe to it), the woman was created out of necessity of man to have companionship and help as earlier stated in the book of Genesis. Now taking a look at the popular book of Ephesians we will note that a man is expected to love his woman. A characteristic of the word love according to the book of Corinthians is the absence of arrogance and arrogance translates to an exaggeration of one’s importance. The book of Philippians also admonishes against considering oneself high above others within a relationship. So I may conclude that religion as a rule does not support this proposition. People have often misinterpreted the bible’s take on marriage, a trend set in a time when sexism was the order.

If we take a close look at most successful relationships, we will find that the secret lies in the ability for the couple to view each other as equal instead of inferior. On the other hand, recent studies carried out by psychologists have shown that relationships with superiority and inferiority complexes most often than not have traces of violence, this is because the man sees his wife as a property and the wife sees her husband as an owner.
No woman will be content in a relationship where her opinions are viewed as less important. Marriage is not a tyrannical institution but a democratic one fully equipped with the added principles of checks and balances. An institution where both are allowed independent contributions on matters arising and in a situation of opposing opinions they both strike a compromise without the man exercising veto power.

Marriage has never been about strength and position but about how well you are willing to work together to achieve a common goal; each one knowing his place without taking unfair advantage of the other. In this institution stubbornness gives way for rationality and cooperation to come in; it’s often said that a kingdom divided against itself will surely fall. Therefore a woman should know her place as helper and a man know his place as the head and not a superior.

Therefore any man wishing for the good old days when men were men and women were women obviously long for the days when homosexuals were ensconced in their closets and women were demure and subservient. A world well lost in my opinion and rightly so.

It is my submissive opinion therefore that a man should not assert authority or superiority over his partner but should love her as himself by being a leader and a woman should not take the position of enslavement but should humble herself before her man. There should exist a mutual respect and understanding in a relationship.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by UjSizzle(f): 5:20pm On Oct 15, 2012
I'm done with my posts.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 15, 2012
Judges, pls treat ayobase''s case as special.

Thank you Uj sizzle.

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by MrsChima(f): 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2012
I would like the opportunity to respond to Ayobase's final argument whenever he post them.

Thanks in advance.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by greedie1(f): 7:14pm On Oct 15, 2012
sexkillz: Judges, pls treat ayobase''s case as special.

Thank you Uj sizzle.

NOTED
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2012
My response to dont8 reply on the argument between bennyraz and I.
To assert authority is simply to bring control, sanity and orderliness in the home, nevertheless, I strongly believe the woman should have a say/opinion, but it's left to the man to evaluate her suggestion(s)
My opponent here is just trying to shy away from the truth and building a wall of fantasy around himself.
He said to to assert as in forceful as I had said previously is not true in the context of a relationship.
Now what does assert as a word means in the context of a relationship

Doesn't it mean "to use" often forcefully and mostly resulting to aggression.
I want to make it known to us that there is a big difference between these two words
- i don't think you should be hanging out with your friends again
And
- I don't want you to hang out with your friends again

Need I tell us that one if those words show force while the other seeks understanding.

You said to ASSERT means forceful, that is not true in the context of a relationship, but can be true depending on the context to which you're using the definition i.e in dictatorial and military setup and the likes.

Check out the synonyms of Assert from the Merrian Webster dictionary you quoted from-Affirm, Avow, Guarantee and Profess. Do you also know that a child can assert his/her right?

Affirm, avow, guarrantee and profess as you have stated as the synonyms. And yes affirm can also replace assert. But does guarrantee replace affirm in this context
Nay! I don't think so!

Now replace those two words as you've written and see if it fits the contexual meaning of the discourse.
A man is right to GUARRANTEE his authority in a relationship.

It doesn't look the same.

A wise man will assert his Gods given authority over a woman, A wise man
will not jettison the opinion of his woman, A wise man will not disrespect his woman.

My opponent has laid claims that the bible supports authority.
In my years of studying the bible I haven't come across the place where it is been stated that God has given the. man authority over a woman.
Even if it were to be so, which I suppose. not
When two people in love go to a church. to be solemnized in holy matrimony.
The pastor says "do you take her as your LAWFULLY WEDDED WIFE, to love and to cherish her, in sickness and in health, to love and to hold, till death do you part"
The vows never said "do you take her as yor PET , to scold and to boss and be superior over her"

Am sorry for having digress a little but the discourse says "a relationship" not marriage.
So it beats my imagination where you got marriage from.
Because I feel thats where the issue of authority or superiority might even be applicable.
My belief is a relationship could be marriage, dating, coutship, friendship and even proffessional sometimes.

Asserting an authority does not literally translate to being judgemental of others, but bring sanity.

Does this mean that asserting authority could be as a result of insanity?
How do one even tell insanity in a relationship?
Does trying to make my opinion count as a woman before the man am dating means am insane?

To wrap it all up, I want to bring to our understanding that a relationship can be likened to a business enterprise.
How
Going down memory lane in business studies. We were told and we grew up to know that there were two kinds of business enterprise in business studies.
- the sole propietorship and
- the partnership

As we learnt then that in a sole business which is run and managed by one person, he makes the decision alone and bears the risk, losses and profits alone
While in partnership, which is run by 2 people or more, the decision making process is joint, so is the risk, losses and profit.

This has brought me to say that since no man is an island and can't stand alone and evidently needs his partner to make it out through the storm of life as in the case of the two controllers in a plane.
He shouldn't exert his authority but should rather seek mutual benefit and understanding with his partner.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 15, 2012
my opponents brought some great points to the debate which were:

- Men want authority because they feel threatened by women's independence
We can all conclude that Uj-sizzle is not focussing on FAMILY, but rather on INDEPENDENT WOMEN. Having authority has all to do with THE FAMILY, if anyone wants to be independent then they should certainly NOT get married.

- A man who assert superiority in marriage is arrogant
NO he is not, he is simply doing what he believes is best for the FAMILY, as we all know that having two heads is counter productive for the union. So as much as a head MUST be designated, chances are he may not have to use his "veto power" EVER.

- The Bible says that A man who loves his wife will ensure to make her happy and comfortable in that union.
And again, Uj-sizzle automatically assumes that having authority will make a wife unhappy/uncomfortable....... I guess that's how "independent" women of today will feel.

- Many marriages failed in the past because men wanting to assert superiority didn't listen to their wives
Should we now use the little few failures in marriage as model for what is RIGHT in marriages today? For every failure that Uj-sizzle talks about, I can find 100K marriages that worked due to the authority that men had in marriages.

- THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT BACK UP THE CLAIM THAT IT IS RIGHT FOR MEN TO HAVE AUTHORITY OVER WOMEN
So should we dismiss/disregard the centuries of happy marriages where men were given authority by their wives? this is all the evidence needed to understand that it's best for men to have authority in marriage.

- It is wrong for a man to have authority because he will be the boss of a woman
NO HE WON'T, he we still be her loving husband who will be in charge of making the important decisions for the family (after considering her input), a duty like any other in marriage. Sadly this is a clear indication that Uj-sizzle selfishly think about WOMEN's need, instead of thinking of THE FAMILY. the focus should NOT be about him or her but about the FAMILY/UNIT, this is the most important thing to focus on here, NOT WOMEN.

- Some hot headed men are incapable of rational thoughts therefore it is wrong for men to have authority in marriage.
This is so laughable, it's painful!!!!
My opponent is saying that some men out there are inadequate in marriages, therefore we should dismiss a model that has worked for centuries, because of these few bad eggs. Most men out there are NOT the way she mentioned above and therefore it is pointless to argue such example, as there are gazillions of men out there who are very capable of making the right decision for their family (and these are the men we should focus on). What she wrote is as wrong as saying that people shouldn't get married because a few are clueless in marriage.

Instead of picturing such negative union, why doesn't she picture a family with an understanding husband who cares for his wife and children and make the proper decisions for the good of that family?

- Religion doesn't support the proposition that men have authority over women.
I guess Uj-sizzle is again reading the Bible with her bias mind, and may have missed the following VERY IMPORTANT verses that contradict directly what she is writing about:
EPHESIANS 5:22-23
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

COLOSSIANS 3:18-19
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

1TIMOTHY 2:12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man. She must remain quiet.

From these above verses, we can firmly conclude that the Bible DEMANDS that women submit to their husband or specifically demands that men be the head of women (something that Uj-sizzle is adamant is not RIGHT), if this is not a clear indication that the Bible believes that men have authority over women, then I don't know what is.

- The secret to most successful relationship lies in both participants being equal.
I guess the centuries of recorded marriage were all failures then? just because aman is the head doesnt mean people are NOT equal, it simply means that someone will be the head. Unfortunately, the above is what women of TODAY say, while forgetting that divorces are at an all time HIGH, because these same women want to be INDEPENDENT while married (what a contradiction).

- Marriage is a democratic institution where both participants are allowed independent contributions
there are NO democratic institution in this world without a designated leader, NONE. without a head, there will be chaos!

- A woman should know her place as helper and a man know his place as the head and not a superior.
Shouldnt that head decide for the body? As the head, shouldnt a man have the last say? The above is the whole issue, some women DO NOT want to recognize the man as the head of the family, or automatically assume that being the head means enslaving the body, while it is simply normal for the head to control the body. Sadly, the head will always be in control of the body, and thats a biological fact!

- A man who has authority/superiority status over his wife doesnt love/respect her.
What has authority got to do with LOVE?! the opposing team are claiming that a man with authority cannot love OR treat his wife with respect.....and we all know that is NOT true.

2 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2012
So for my closing statement on this debate, the supporting team and I would like to say that today, in 2012, divorce rate is on the increase, marriage has no more value in the eyes of people, people have no foundation as to how a great marriage should be, people marry for the wrong reasons but still expect to have the same +50years union like our forefathers, women want to be married AND independent at the same time etc. It's a mess, and it doesn't look like it is going to change because people have changed, times have changed, life has changed and most importantly, the laws of marriage have changed. Fortunately, something that will NEVER change is the notion that in order to have a steady, stable and strong union, you have to designate a head that will make sure that there is no chaos, and restore order if needs be.

Now that we understand that a head is needed in any union, let us all think very deeply and ask the important question here: "how having two heads in a partnership could ever work?" Can you ride a tandem with two people at the wheel? Can you drive a car with two different driving seat? Yes, all these example "could" be done, so long as the two heads think alike and go in the same directions in life, but the minute they disagree or think differently, is the minute they will crash without warning. So, what is better here? to have a union with two heads that could crash at any minute, without warning OR to have a union with one head maturely taking decisions for the union, while considering the input of both participants? you decide.

Although a head has to be designated, it doesnt have any impact on the union, so long as the family stays on the same life path that they both decided for themselves. The day they arrive at a crossroad, then someone MUST have the ultimate say in deciding which road to take. Having a designated leader is primordial to any union/partnership, and one of the necessary foundation of marriage.

We would also like to say that the dominant one is the one that will STAND for the marriage if anything endangers it, the representative of that said family, whether in peace or war. Albeit the dominant one has to be the voice of reason both in AND out of that said marriage, their job is also to DEFEND the family and its members by all means necessary, and sometimes even physically, if ever the union was attacked. The head has to be caring at all times, understanding at all times, fair at all times, BUT ALSO strong at times and willing to do whatever it takes to protect the family. This is the reason why the head position in marriage is better suited for the MAN, rather than the woman.

Sadly, even if the wife was the stronger one physically, due to the society we live in, it would also be improper to have a wife as the dominant one in marriage. It will undermine that said marriage/husband, and that will simply put strains in that union (due to the lack of respect from society, bullying, loss of self esteem, abuse, etc).

Now that we understand why a man is best suited as the head, the supporting team and I would finally like to say that just because a man is the obvious choice as the head, it does NOT mean that he is better than his wife, nor that he will treat her unfairly or like a slave. The simple reason for that is because we all know that treating someone unfairly, or like a slave, would make that person resent you, which is certainly not what a husband wants from his wife, or what a boss wants from his employees. So why would a man working to better his family do such a thing to their loved ones? The important point here is LOVE, because with love anything SHOULD be possible. therefore, as much as a man will treat his woman with kindness and care (while having authority), is the same way that a loving wife should accept to have her husband be the dominant person in marriage, since she fully well knows that he loves her and would never treat her badly........ if some individuals are married to people they DO NOT LOVE, then that's another subject completely.

It is normal for the dominant one to be viewed as the superior one by others, or for that dominant person to "believe" that they are superior, but their actions can never be portrayed as superior, its just a state of mind due to the duties involved when it comes to FULLY protect and care for the well being of a family.

We can clearly see that there is something really wrong with the society of today, if two people "supposedly" loving one another, yet do not trust that their partner would do what's right for the family, if that partner was the head. How can you marry someone, but yet not believe that they will treat you fairly if/when they will be in charge? It says a lot about the mindset of people of today, and what their aim is when getting married. If anyone is not ready to fully trust the guidance/decisions/maturity or mindset of their significant other then they certainly shouldn't be married to one another (maybe another reason why so many marriages end in quick divorce).

So, from the point I cited above, we can clearly understand that it can only be beneficial (aka RIGHT) for a family to have a man as the head (aka authority), and if a loving wife is not willing to naturally hand over such position to her husband, then that loving man should assert his head of family position (aka AUTHORITY) in that said union, as we can all conclude that it is what's best for any family.

I thank the moderator, judges, my teammates, opposing team members, and all the people who followed this thread, for joining me in this very enlightening debate.

1 Like

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2012
Closing statement

To the judges, moderator, my fellow red teammates , blue teammates and the wonderful viewers

Am still opposing the motion that " a man is right to assert his authority / superiority in a relationship"

Not taking much of our time as its almost nightfall. I just want to add a little fact to my previous statements. My statement shall be as short as possible.

It doesn't speak well when as a man you act superior over your women.
I strongly believe that when there's. mutual understanding, respect, and. great communication in a relationship there won't be issues such as asserting superiority /authority.
The people who are authoritarian are the people who are suffering from an inferiority complex. To hide their inferiority they impose their superiority. They want to prove that they are somebody, that their word is truth, that their word is law. But deep down they are very inferior beings.
Hence, my advice goes to both gender to strive in stricking a balance that would give room for a healthy , non-authoritative and successful relationship.

Change starts from me and you.
I faithfully remain candygosh

Thank you!
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by dont8(m): 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2012
Good evening Mr. Moderator, Panel of Judges and fellow NLanders.
This is my second post oppose Candygosh argument.

am not here to respond to that cliche as my team mate mrs chima has done justice to that. So I would be addressing the ship issue.
I wasn't in titanic so I couldn't have been able to tell if it was only a captain that sailed the ship.
But one thing am sure of is, a big and large ship such as titanic would never have been sailed or controlled by just one captain.
I believe that if a ship has two captains it will row to safety and not capsize and hit a brickwall as you have stated .
Why Where one captain sails a ship and encounters any difficulty he might not know how to attend to such situation but when they are two, one captain uses the others experience and TOGETHER they sail the ship safely through the storms and obstructions.

For your information, ship has only one Captain and co-Captains (just as we

1 Like

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 15, 2012
Actually I know tHis post won't be judged
But mr dont8 I would like to know why you said my arguement contradic
I said I wouldn't delve so much and you had to change it to I wouldn't even delve at all
Now you've left me with no choice than to say you did a very illogical reasoning there.
Its better to have ignored the post than give such response.
Just clearing that up so i hope u take note.
Nyt nyt mr dont8
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by dont8(m): 11:34pm On Oct 15, 2012
You misunderstood my point, didn't mean to change your words, cheers.

candygosh: Actually I know tHis post won't be judged
But mr dont8 I would like to know why you said my arguement contradic
I said I wouldn't delve so much and you had to change it to I wouldn't even delve at all
Now you've left me with no choice than to say you did a very illogical reasoning there.
Its better to have ignored the post than give such response.
Just clearing that up so i hope u take note.
Nyt nyt mr dont8
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by dont8(m): 11:59pm On Oct 15, 2012
It's a pity and very painful that my writeup that took a chunk of my time wiped off when I was trying to correct the impression created by Candygosh.
For this, permit me, Mr.Moderator and panel of Judges to replicate and summarise what I wrote earlier to be my third and last statement, thanks.
dont8: Good evening Mr. Moderator, Panel of Judges and fellow NLanders.
This is my second post oppose Candygosh argument.

[color=#000099]For your information, ship has only one Captain and co-Captains (just as we
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by ayobase(m): 1:10am On Oct 16, 2012
Good Morning Mrs. Chima.
Good Morning Nairalanders
Mr. Moderator and Panel of Judges, thanks for your time, and your unbiased sense of judgement.
Mrs.Chima:

Pardon me for being intrusive but you have mentioned that you asked three of your girlfriends for their opinions regarding this motion. I respectfully decline the offer to guess bearing in mind what can three single ladies (that you haven’t felt moved enough to propose to any them) tell me, a married woman who is not a newlywed about the experience of marriage? Exactly sir.

You are pardoned.
They are my female friends, if 'girl friends' was ambiguous. They are of course engaged. I know their fiancees. One big family we have been right from University.
Mrs.Chima:

Mr. Ayobase, your mother sounds like a lovely lady and allow me to eloquently address her statement regarding Lord, Husband, and not being godly. I asked a friend of mine who is a pastor of his church about what your mother said. He told me that God is a jealous God and it is specified in the tenth commandment that Christians shouldn’t worship any gods but the Almighty.

I asked him if calling husbands, lord is putting gods before God? He responded yes and in fact when breaking one commandment, you have caused transgressions of the law therefore committed an ungodly act. Hmm.

Thank you. She is lovely and beautiful from within.
Your friend is not wrong though, but he got it twisted. He should know that "Lord" in this context means "head of the home". Lord has meanings. Does it mean that a man is placing a Judge in the court of law above God when he says, "My Lord"?
Besides, you are not religious. Its obvious you only accept what suits your opinion. Is that not being biased and illogical!
Mrs.Chima:

You can only narrate dinner table conversations shared between your three girlfriends, non-religious mother, and unpublished rap album you were trying to articulate.

It wasn't a dinner table conversation my dear. I called them. Have you forgotten so quickly?
Mrs.Chima:

Are you certain that you understand Ephesians 5 thoroughly as a Christian male? Were you asleep when your Sunday school teacher elaborated Genesis and the creation of mankind? Do you understand Galatians’ definition of love? Did you read the information with thy own understanding or discernment of the Holy Spirit? It appears that I have bombarded you with indicative questions

Yes, I slept during the classes. But my quest for knowing the truth as I grew in wisdom, knowledge and understanding made me move closer to my Bible. I shared with you some insights discovered with the help of Holy Spirit and due to personal perusals, but you still decided to go with your Pastor.
Mrs.Chima:

however it is important to know if you are speaking from common sense or with a feeding spoon. Sometimes we have the tendency to repeat something spoon-fed without concrete knowledge of our consumption.

Like the way your Pastor spoon-fed you with his common sense interpretation?
Mrs.Chima:

A husband has moral right to enforce obedience in his marriage according to whom?

A man should walk with his legs, and see with eyes according to whom?
Mrs.Chima:

During the old days, non-traditional families were heard of and standard marriage consisted of a man, a woman, and future children. Nowadays, a typical relationship may have two women or men partnership. Who is the “husband” in a lesbian marriage? Who is the “husband” in a gay marriage?

Let me ask you a question also. In bestiality, who is the husband, the Man or the Goat?
We are talking about MORALLY sound relationship here!
Mrs.Chima:

I hope you are not talking from a biblical reference because even your religious book said Christians should follow the laws of the land and in some lands, homosexuality marriages are acceptable.

''You are in the world, but not of the world, do not conform yourself with the world.''
Mrs.Chima:

Women in some parts of India are allowed to have more than one husband and pay the groom price. It was mentioned on the supporting team, that men pay bride prices therefore should assert authority and superiority over the bride.

Should the woman in India that pay groom price assert her authority and superiority over her husband(s)? Some chauvinistic males and demure women would say “such absurdity nevertheless”, but I would no more absurd than a woman submitting to a religious man that treat his wife like a Nobel Peace ashewo.

So, she wants to assert authority over the man because she paid his groom price. LOL! Then she should be ready to go back to her parents' house.
How I wish this system can be adopted in Nigeria to make the unserious ones among the ladies sit tight.
It reminds me of what a mother said to her wife during wedding, ''......Please Omotola, make sure you please you husband. Obey and respect him. Don't argue with him. Prepare his food at the approriate times, always satisfy him....''
You tell me what the mother was simply saying!

3 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by ayobase(m): 1:28am On Oct 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

The adage, “Good child is for the father, and the bad one for the mother” is the funniest thing I have ever heard! There are single mothers and fathers all over the world and many of them came from failed marriages and spousal deaths. Do we hold them accountable for the behaviors of their children because they are not in a marriage?

You have a point there. I can't counter you on that. It is a basic truth, but not frequent as we both know.
Can you now see that we Men are civil in our reasonings?
Mrs.Chima:

Do you think children from martial relationships are superior to children in single parenting relationships? I have a friend who is married and she is submissive to her husband to the core. If her husband say “jump”, she say “how high sir” and she loves her children dearly to the point where she is willing to endure constant beatings and can die any moment now. She is teaching her daughters no matter what submit to this type of man to no fault and her son doesn’t respect her. The little boy is turning out to be like his father and abuse her as well. Is it the mother’s fault that her son is “bad”?

As you once said that some things happened behind the closed door. A man is not that wicked and heartless. Beating her without any reason, and you believed that? Hmm!
It still bothers me why you couldn't challenge your Pastor. Are you that easily manipulated?
Go have a heart to heart discussion with your friend to get to the bottom of her being beaten UNNECESSARILY.
You should know that questioning a LOVING, ROMANTIC, UNDERSTANDING and CARING man's authority always, will make him give up in order to please you. But for the ones that can't tolerate, then be ready to be dealt with, or flushed out, or having a rival (No time for jagbajagba)
Mrs.Chima:

Is this what a man of such authority and superiority asserts order in his home by creating voluntary chaos? An imperfect man who thinks that he is above the law and God that he can disobey the instruction of a Christian husband from your religious book.

Falsely accusing religion to make a point is becoming preposterous. Tell me where in the Bible a woman's submissiveness was abused. Those that were submissive were reckoned with, unlike the likes of Jezebel. Do you know about Abigail's former husband? Nabal was surly and mean in his dealings. Abigail was still submissive despite his attitude over the years. She applied wisdom, when she learnt that David was coming to destroy her household. She went quickly to plead with gifts on behalf of her household.
I trust you na, ''Nabal you are such a very stupid man. What the hell was wrong with you that you didnt attend to those peaceful men that came from David. Ehn, tell me, what were u thinking? You are such an idiot. Now, David is coming with his army to destroy our household........'' would have been the response of some typical disobedient women. That will surely cause chao. Chaos needs two opposing parties to manifest. There won't be chaos if the woman is submissive. A man that thinks he is higher than Law will be doing sentence(s) in prison (if he hasn't been sentenced to death by hanging) let alone of facing God wrath.
A wise and perfect man is submissive to God and the Law, but a foolish and imperfect man.
Mrs.Chima:

You stated that man came first and women follows, I presume you quoted the statement from your religious book. Now take a walk with me as I paint a visual picture for clarity. “Let there be light and night and day was formed on the first day, animals, water, vegetation, air, land, and man was created by the time HE rested. Man named all the creation before his eyes and was alone. “A man should never be alone”, a woman was created from the side. She became his helpmate and became one with man.

And has God rested since the day He created woman? Nope, He hasn't. He is been fixing woman's problem right from the beginning.
Even in our society today, women contribute more to the vicious circle.
Mrs.Chima:

I like math, do you? 1+1=2, 1+0=1, and 2-1=1. My husband and I were individuals that represent 1 before marriage, we joined forces as 1 after marriage, and if my husband decides to become superior and assert authority then we would become 2 minus 1.

I thought you said 1+1 in marriage equals 1.
Mrs.Chima:

There is a significant difference between authority and leadership. It is his role to assert leadership, but not his right to assert authority for he is not superior over me nor I am superior over him for we are one.

No let a Military man arrest you for this thing wey you yearn so o.
Authority is an embodiment of Leadership.
If it is his role to assert leadership as you agreed on , then it is simply his role to assert authority as a characteristic.

2 Likes

Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by ayobase(m): 1:44am On Oct 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

It was said by a member of your supporting team that a superior man isn’t imperfect if he is better or excellent. If God thought that man was superior in every sense, man would have been alone with his animals and vegetations. A superior man doesn’t need a partner or a helpmate. What is the difference between God and “superior” man? A superior man is an Earthling that needs God wholeheartedly.

The President also needs a vice for assistance. The Vice President will not act unless the President gives the green light. This is no different from Man and Woman. The Woman supports as directed by the Man when he is away from home. God is good planner and a perfectionist.
''A superior man is an Earthling that needs God wholeheartedly.'' While Woman is an Earthling that needs Man wholeheartedly. Interesting! We are really flowing together.
Mrs.Chima:

A wise woman will not allow her husband to suffer at the hands of his own foolishness. A wise woman will speak up and address issues with maturity and elegance. A wise man will acknowledge the present of his wife and take pride knowing that his wife has his back even if she assert her opinions that he disagree with.

You are on point here also. Just like Nabal and Abigail. The reverse would have been the case if she had confronted Nabal. I have not said that our Women are dumb or stupid. No man will want to marry a stupid woman either. Its like marrying a slave/servant!
Mrs.Chima:

Freedom of speech is given to individuals who want to express their opinions and shouldn’t be persecuted for their opinions. A wise man would accept that his wife has a mind of her own even if he doesn’t agree with her opinions; he should respect her as his wife not to belittle her with superior attitude.

Yes, yes, yes!
But she must submit to the final conclusion drawn by her Man. Even God relates with man, but you dare not stand in His way when He concludes!
Mrs.Chima:

How can a husband expect his wife to respect him if he doesn’t respect her? How rude!

Respect is reciprocal. A man will respect the woman if she stays under his authority (i.e. she abides by rules and regulations governing marriage-submissiveness)
Mrs.Chima:

A man that beats his wife into submission and disregards her feelings as if she is irrelevant is a weak man in my book. You say that a man should teach his wife and assert authority but according to a religious verse, a man that doesn’t perform according to the word must be won over or turn by his wife’s actions.

And what is a disobedient woman in your book?
A wise woman that wants to get to her husband should be very submissive. Esther was a case study. Very humble and submissive. Nobody goes to see the King at that period, but she went in, and she found favour is his sight!
Mrs.Chima:

According to you, young, old, wild, and free lady fit for a submissive wife. How do you explain men that are marrying docile women that are submissive and whorish? A submissive woman does not mean she is pure, faithful, honorable, loving, and respectful. Have you ever heard of a submissive LovePeddler? Guess what, men around the world are marring these submissive whores and trying to make a housewife out of them.

I didn't say the young, old, wild, and free lady is fit for a submissive wife. Don't misquote me. She might be of course, but not for a man that wants submissive, wise and responsible wife.
Men marry docile woman for purpose of peace in the home. Man doesn't want a nag is his home!
In conclusion, Mrs. Chima, you should know that many of today's problems start from the family as a unit in the society at large. If the family is not put in order, then the society will suffer from a great setback.
Its like MrBrownJay, my team mate read my mind about the issue of Divorce.
Kudos brother!
The rate at which divorce increases in the world today as result of Women being not being submissive to their Men is very alarming, and this is weakening the system. Women, go back to your ancient path, and lets put things back in order. Civilization shoudn't be embraced in every aspect. That Mobile Phone, Internet, and Airplane are good doesn't make Nuclear Weapon, Gender Equality and Gay/Lesbian okay for embracement.
Believe me, there will be drastic and mind blowing transformation in families affecting the Society at large, only if Women would be submissive to the Authority of Men in their homes.
And my reasons for using scenarios in the Bible was because, the Bible contains no adulterated, controversial and compromising history, unlike controversial "Civil War in Nigeria" et al. The Bible's are accurate!
Thank you.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by ayobase(m): 2:06am On Oct 16, 2012
Mr. Moderator and the Panel of Judges, I am done with my 3 POSTS, but segemented into 5 POSTING BOXES.
Thank you for your understanding and time.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by MrsChima(f): 4:38am On Oct 16, 2012
ayobase:
The President also needs a vice for assistance. The Vice President will not act unless the President gives the green light. This is no different from Man and Woman. The Woman supports as directed by the Man when he is away from home. God is good planner and a perfectionist.
''A superior man is an Earthling that needs God wholeheartedly.'' While Woman is an Earthling that needs Man wholeheartedly. Interesting! We are really flowing together.

You are on point here also. Just like Nabal and Abigail. The reverse would have been the case if she had confronted Nabal. I have not said that our Women are dumb or stupid. No man will want to marry a stupid woman either. Its like marrying a slave/servant!

Yes, yes, yes!
But she must submit to the final conclusion drawn by her Man. Even God relates with man, but you dare not stand in His way when He concludes!

Respect is reciprocal. A man will respect the woman if she stays under his authority (i.e. she abides by rules and regulations governing marriage-submissiveness)

And what is a disobedient woman in your book?
A wise woman that wants to get to her husband should be very submissive. Esther was a case study. Very humble and submissive. Nobody goes to see the King at that period, but she went in, and she found favour is his sight!

I didn't say the young, old, wild, and free lady is fit for a submissive wife. Don't misquote me. She might be of course, but not for a man that wants submissive, wise and responsible wife.
Men marry docile woman for purpose of peace in the home. Man doesn't want a nag is his home!
In conclusion, Mrs. Chima, you should know that many of today's problems start from the family as a unit in the society at large. If the family is not put in order, then the society will suffer from a great setback.
Its like MrBrownJay, my team mate read my mind about the issue of Divorce.
Kudos brother!
The rate at which divorce increases in the world today as result of Women being not being submissive to their Men is very alarming, and this is weakening the system. Women, go back to your ancient path, and lets put things back in order. Civilization shoudn't be embraced in every aspect. That Mobile Phone, Internet, and Airplane are good doesn't make Nuclear Weapon, Gender Equality and Gay/Lesbian okay for embracement.
Believe me, there will be drastic and mind blowing transformation in families affecting the Society at large, only if Women would be submissive to the Authority of Men in their homes.
And my reasons for using scenarios in the Bible was because, the Bible contains no adulterated, controversial and compromising history, unlike controversial "Civil War in Nigeria" et al. The Bible's are accurate!
Thank you.

Good Morning Mr. Ayobase.

Thank you for the pardon, it doesn’t matter if your three girlfriends are engaged and unmarried, they can’t tell your mother and I anything about marriage from a personal standpoint. From your mismatched stories, I would get better advices from a virgin nun.

My friend, a pastor of his own church with a congregation of 1,000 + members or more got the bible twisted according to you? You basically called a man of God, confused! You just proved atheists could interpret the bible better than Christians!
Even if I were religious, it still wouldn’t change the pastor’s statement that contradicted your mother’s thwarted definition of ungodliness. I was prepared to hear the pastor support your mother’s statement but to my surprise he vehemently disapproved the theory. By your own admission, I am non-religious, but why would I accept any religious epistles regardless if the pastor agrees with your mother or not? Do that sounds logical to you or do you know the definition?

According to you, the bible helped you grow in wisdom and knowledge but you stated that superior is synonymous with head and supports your mother’s theory of ungodliness. I guess I am going to hell in gasoline basket because I refuse to call my husband Lord. Even the bible states that man shouldn’t put wife above God and woman shouldn’t put husband above God. I don’t agree with majority of my pastor friend’s theories but the insights between the pair of you, I would go with the jilted pastor any day! No offense.

According to you, “Lord” has many meanings and it means head. Do you call the pastor of your church, Lord since he is the head of the church? Be honest.

What is a morally sound relationship? Christian relationship? Are you rejecting other religious relationships as being morally unjust? Is Mr. Ayobase’s morality inclusive to all people? I am sure thousands of people will agree with me when I say that you are not God, Creator, Most High, Deity, and Lord and your definition/opinion of morality means nothing to the public. Try again.

So, she wants to assert authority over the man because she paid his groom price. LOL! Then she should be ready to go back to her parents' house

I guess you fell asleep when you read my statement regarding marital culture in India. It is acceptable in India for women to pay groom price and have several husbands. I mentioned nothing of Nigeria so what is she going home for?

As usual, you miscomprehended my argument again, I stated that is it okay for an Indian woman to treat and control her husband because she paid groom price?

A spouse doesn’t have any right to mistreat their spouse simply because they paid bride/groom price. Common sense.

[
color=#000099]I wish this system can be adopted in Nigeria to make the unserious ones among the ladies sit tight.
It reminds me of what a mother said to her wife during wedding, ''......Please Omotola, make sure you please you husband. Obey and respect him. Don't argue with him. Prepare his food at the approriate times, always satisfy him....''
You tell me what the mother was simply saying![/color]

The mother knew what type of husband her daughter was marrying and to keep her daughter from returning home and being homeless, she simply told her daughter how to survive in his home since in Nigeria everything belongs to the man. Let be realistic, if you have a house full of children to feed, you would plead your daughter to do whatever she can to survive. Thank you for sharing that message, I owe America a great deal of gratitude!

If I have to live in fear of being homeless or divorced simply because I wouldn’t allow my husband to treat me like a slave or Prisoner of War, I would rather live with Boko Haram!

[
color=#000099]As you once said that some things happened behind the closed door. A man is not that wicked and heartless. Beating her without any reason, and you believed that? Hmm!
It still bothers me why you couldn't challenge your Pastor. Are you that easily manipulated?
Go have a heart to heart discussion with your friend to get to the bottom of her being beaten UNNECESSARILY[/color]

Wow! A man beating his wife with reasons isn’t wicked or heartless? I hope your daughters will never have to experience domestic violence. It is sad to hear a man who claims to be religious supports such action. I guess all glitter in the bible isn’t gold. Hmm.

I don’t have a pastor and why would I challenge my friend when I simply asked of his opinion about your mother’s definition of ungodliness? I never said I support his disapproval and I think you need to upgrade your dictionary for the holidays. When did asking other’s opinions turn into manipulation?

And has God rested since the day He created woman? Nope, He hasn't. He is been fixing woman's problem right from the beginning.
Even in our society today, women contribute more to the vicious circle.

According to the bible, God rested on the seventh day and created woman when He saw that Adam was alone. Where did your bible say that God has been fixing women’s problems? What are women’s problems? Adam was dumb enough to let a talking serpent influence Eve to convince him to disobey God BUT YET God has been fixing women’s problems? Hilarity!

What vicious cycles are women contributing to? Prostitution? Abortion? Sexual Abuse?

A woman can’t prostitute without a male customer. A woman can’t commit abortion without having unprotected sex with a male and in many cases the hand of a filthy male sexually abuses these women. I guess according to you, these women deserve it because they are women! You speak well of your mother but spew misogynistic views. Strange.

I thought you said 1+1 in marriage equals 1.

I see math wasn’t your strongest subject. I said 1+1=2, 1+0=1, and 2-1=1 but I do apologize, I assumed word explanation would have helped you. Simple analogy does elude people at times.

A man has a right to assert authority on whose characteristics? Expatiate. A military man doesn’t have authority to perform arrest or did you meant police officer. I guess it is only applicable in Nigeria.

You finally agree that the President can’t function without the vice president. It wasn’t difficult to speak the truth huh? The vice president assumes the role when the president can’t carry on and successful husbands need strong wives to carry on. That’s fact!

[
color=#000099]I have not said that our Women are dumb or silly. No man will want to marry a silly woman either. Its like marrying a slave/servant![/color]

You didn’t say that women were dumb per se but you carried on as if the man needs to control the woman because she is unable to assist in decision-making and shouldn’t question her husband because man knows more than the woman. If that doesn’t sound like a dumb woman than I am a virgin! When treating a wife as if she is inferior to you is treating her like a slave/servant.

[
color=#000099]She must submit to the final conclusion drawn by her Man. Even God relates with man, but you dare not stand in His way when He concludes![/color]

Common sense will tell any woman not to disagree with a good decision or conclusion. Duh! If my husband enforces a decision that I disagree with, I will speak my mind and remind him that he is responsible for the consequences. Yes, the head is responsible for any decisions he make and should accept accountability without placing blame.

You contradicted yourself again, accordingly to you submission is a form of respect but you expect a woman to submit to a disrespectful husband? Rough day huh?

[
color=#000099]And what is a disobedient woman in your book? Esther was a case study. Very humble and submissive. Nobody goes to see the King at that period, but she went in, and she found favour is his sight!

A disobedient man or woman do not honor their parents and defile the laws of the land. Esther is his wife I presume, she should obtain favor in his sight REGARDLESS! My husband should be able to come to me at any given time as should I come to him. I am not his servant nor slave.

Men marry docile woman for purpose of peace in the home,

I didn’t misquote you and I am not responsible for your penmanship. It is your responsibility to ensure effective delivery of your argument. You stated that wild and free women weren’t fit to be submissive wives and I countered that whores aren’t fit to be good wives even if they are submissive.

In conclusion, Mrs. Chima, Its like MrBrownJay, my team mate read my mind about the issue of Divorce. The rate at which divorce increases in the world today as result of Women being not being submissive to their Men is very alarming.

Pardon me for being intrusive, as a single man what do you know about the cause of divorce? Have you asked every single divorced couple the reason why they are divorced? No, you didn’t so your statement regarding cause of divorce is flawed and ill stated. There are many possible reasons why divorces are high in today’s society. Infidelity, finances, sexuality, religion, health, infertility, hardship, family meddling, lack of communication, lack of love, lack of support, lack of compassion, and lack of maturity. A foolish man will only divorce his wife or something as microscopic as lack of submission. A man that wants his marriage will fight harder and with his wife to ensure family success. Only a foolish man will blame his wife for his lack of accountability in the marriage.

How do you tell a woman who is barren who receives news that her husband divorcing her because she can’t produce children? According to you submission is the main reason why divorces are so high then why are cheating wives being gut like a fish by their angry husbands? Are you saying submissive wives do not cheat? Absurdity! You and your teammate MBJ may need to update reading materials because if that is your conclusion of why a man should assert authority and superiority over a woman in relationship then I understand why infidelity amongst women is off the chain!

I rest my case.

Thank you.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 16, 2012
Judges, pls post scores.
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by Rocktation(f): 7:42am On Oct 16, 2012
Contestants' scores in the Final Round of the debate and laid out as previous results had been;

Mrbrownjay: 4- 4- 5- 4- 4- 3.5- 3.5- 3 = 31
Vs
Uj Sizzle: 4.5- 4.5- 4- 4.5- 4.5- 4.5- 4- 4 = 34.5

Mrs Chima: 4- 4- 4.9- 4- 4.5- 3- 3.5- 4 = 31.9
Vs
Ayobase: 3- 3- 3.5- 3.5- 4- 2.5- 3.5- 2 = 22

Candygosh: 3- 3- 3.5- 3.5- 3.5- 3- 2.5 - 2 = 24
Vs
Dont8: 3- 3- 3.5- 3.5- 3.5- 2.5- 1- 2 = 22
Re: #DEBATE: A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship.#~LIVE~ by DExplorer1: 8:10am On Oct 16, 2012
After the 3rd round on the debate and topic: "A Man Should Assert His Superiority/Authority In A Relationship". . . Here are the points as duly ascribed to debaters' contents.

THE RED TEXT (OPPOSING TEAM)

UJ-SIZZLE
* Content presentation - 4 Points
* Style/delivery - 4.5 Points
* Grammatical correctness - 4.5 Points
* Sentence construction - 4 Points
* Clarity/Fluency - 4.5 Points
* Sound Reasoning - 4.5 Points
* Logical Development of Argument - 4.5 Points
* Effective Conclusion - 4.5 Points
Total Points = 35

CANDYGOSH
* Content presentation - 3.5 Points
* Style/delivery - 3.5 Points
* Grammatical correctness - 3 Points
* Sentence construction - 3.5 Points
* Clarity/Fluency - 3 Points
* Sound Reasoning - 4 Points
* Logical Development of Argument - 3.5 Points
* Effective Conclusion - 3 Points
Total Points = 27

MRS. CHIMA
* Logical Development of Argument - 4 Points
* Effective Conclusion - 4.5 Point
Total Points = 34.5

THE BLUES TEXT (SUPPORTING TEAM)

MRBROWNJAY
* Sound Reasoning - 4 Points
* Logical Development of Argument - 4 Points
* Effective Conclusion - 3.5 Points
Total Points = 33

AYOBASE
* Grammatical correctness - 3.5 Points
* Logical Development of Argument - 4.5 Points
* Effective Conclusion - 4 Points
Total Points = 33.5

DONT8
* Content presentation - 3 Points
* Style/delivery - 2.5 Points
* Grammatical correctness - 3.5 Points
* Sentence construction - 3 Point
* Clarity/Fluency - 3 Points
* Sound Reasoning - 3.5 Points
* Logical Development of Argument - 0 Points
* Effective Conclusion - 3 Points
Total Points = 21.5

I remain your humble Judge D-Explorer. Thank you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

I Will Never Compel A Boyfriend Into Paying My Bills - Lady / Man Fakes Soldier Assault To Propose To His Girlfriend / See Boobs! Pretty Lady Remove Her Pants & Bra, Twerk, Exposing Her Private Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 226
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.