Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,205 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo (37541 Views)

Why Nigerians Hate Igbo, By Chinua Achebe / See How Nigerians Hate Asari Dokubo (pics) / 'fashola Doesn't Hate Igbo People In Lagos' -chief Obinna Ezenwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 20, 2012
mrperfect: When a man like this writes or speaks attention should be paid to glad much information as much as one can, as isn't writing to get contract from any body or win award from Nigeria.

What I observe here is Nigeria as a country isn't really moving forward, what is the cause, isn't our obligation as a young nigeria to search the cause of this malady.One of ways to get this insight is through a man like this who has be in and out Nigeria.
You just believe without scrutinizing what you say is much information because he's old. We are in a modern world and change is the only thing that works best not some old mentality called Achebe. I disagree with him on that. This superiority element is already putting that particular ethnic group into some bad light.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Onlytruth(m): 3:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
bjdon: Feelings of ethnic superiority has been the downfall of many 'great' empires and nations. It is a real shame that a many of Achebe's intellect could stoop to such a lowe level. Then again there were many intellectual titans in both the Nazi and South African white govt. I am not a Yoruba or Hausa, but I must say in this case I totally stand with them. What we don't need in Nigeria of 2012 is any kind of ethnic superiority claims.
How we would feel if a well known and influential white writer came out to make claims about white's being superior to blacks? We would be up in arms and full of rage and disgust. In this case all right thinking people must feel no less. Shame on you Prof Achebe

Err, this is what he said. Let's analyse.

He observed that the Igbo culture’s emphasis on change, individualism and competitiveness gave his ethnic group an edge over the Hausa/Fulani man who was hindered by a “wary religion” and the Yoruba man who was hampered by” traditional hierarchies.”

The whole world know that change, individualism and competitiveness are agents of development. They are also empowering in many ways.

The whole world also know that Igbo in Nigeria are dominated by this culture.

Has Islam been good to Nigeria?

How can you develop if you lie flat on the ground to greet a fellow human being?

These are the simple truths. Embrace it or die.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ichidodo: 3:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
all4naija: So that now explains morality? Academic education is not an exchange for common sense. That Igbo are arrogant in all areas of life is a fact.
NO BUT IT IS A FUNCTION OF COMMON SENSE AND IF NIGERIA CANNOT HARNESS OUR PRIDE,INDUSTRY AND SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE THEN TOO BAD FOR HER. BUT IF THE YERIBAS HATE ON THE IGBOS BECAUSE OF THEIR ATTRIBUTES THEN THEY SHOULD THEIR SHYTTY AWO-OLE AND COMMIT SUICIDE. BUNCHOFT**TS

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by dayokanu(m): 3:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

Err my statistics say we actually respect and advance them more than you can ever dream of.

We:
We marry ONE wife.
We send females to school more.
Advance our females careerwise -corporate, politics, etc.

YOU:
You marry >3 wives.
You use your wives for gbomo gbomo
You block your females from holding political offices (actually you kill them if they try)

Actually You are scared of women! cheesy cheesy

You mean after all these you rape them?

First female Speaker in Nigeria is a yoruba woman (Highest Political post ever held by a woman)

Lagos State has a female Deputy, Ekiti has a female deputy, Osun has a female deputy

Tell us about the fate of female in NdYibo Politics

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by dayokanu(m): 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
one.east:
Does that explain why AWOLOLO committed suicide..?

Why did AWOLOLO commit suicide if the greatest African celebrity Achebe is lying..

That must explain why Ojuku a coward fled warfront

www.nairaland.com/attachments/802017_biafra_jpgf3d3a620f7ff9d88dee9cdd90e6987a3

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
alj harem:

And she is edo as well. I am a lagosian as well thus you can consider me as a neutral if you like. You uncalled hate for the northerners is uncalled for.

Everyone have their short comings and I am not removing even mine but this superiority complex Achebe is displaying here is the dum.best thing a man as Old as him would do. He has no respect from himself and the people writing his article.

WTF! Did I jst hear you say uncalled hate?? It's obvious u re jst a nymph. Do you know how many igbos dat hav been massacred in the north by your darling northeners??
Do you think they can bear it if it's them? Jst shut up if you don't hav meaninful comments.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Elebiju: 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
okosodo: Wether you like am or not, na true. It can be seen clearly. I am a BINI guy so i am speaking from a point of neutrality. Nigeria is still marginalising ibo till today, and the result is backwardness for every body because the wrong hausa goats will take their position. We are going nowhere in this country
I don't know we still have wise people like u on nairaland,ehn but kindly answer this question,will u trust a tribe that doesn't believe I̶̲̥̅̊n unity?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

Err, this is what he said. Let's analyse.

The whole world know that change, individualism and competitiveness are agents of development. They are also empowering in many ways.

The whole world also know that Igbo in Nigeria are dominated by this culture.

Has Islam been good to Nigeria?

How can you develop if you lie flat on the ground to greet a fellow human being?

These are the simple truths. Embrace it or die.
You speak as if Igbo are actually technologically better than other tribes. You comment as if the Igbo are organized in all ramification. How has petit trading, faking products to money crimes amount to good change, individualism and competitiveness is challenging to me in this your comment.

You are just blinding yourself to the reality of a modern world!

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ba7man(m): 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
Let me simplify it this way...
Someone comes to start living in your house and everything is fine....soon enuff, u walk out of d bathroom and there he is in front of you saying "You hate me". You tell him "I don't hate you,why shuld I?? 1 let you stay in my house". He knocks on your door at night and tells u d same thing and he keeps it up 4 d next 1month.
Sooner or later you're bound to hate dat dude and you'll end up throwing him out.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by blasterman(m): 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
Awolowo was just a civilian in a Miltary government. Gowon was the military commander while muritala
Was vice during the war the way ppl are talking one would think awolowo was the military ruler.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bittyend(m): 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
Achebe and noise making Eboes again?

Questions for Ibos

“I have written in my small book entitled The Trouble with Nigeria that Nigerians will probably achieve consensus on no other matter than their common resentment of the Igbo,” he wrote under the heading, A History of Ethnic Tension and Resentment. He traced the origin of “the national resentment of the Igbo” to its culture that “gave the Igbo man an unquestioned advantage over his compatriots in securing credentials for advancement in Nigerian colonial society.”

Why didn't Ibos use this advantage during the war? Biafra has to be the only country in history that declared a war and fought on its back foot throughout the duration of the war.lmao

He observed that the Igbo culture’s emphasis on change, individualism and competitiveness gave his ethnic group an edge over the Hausa/Fulani man who was hindered by a “wary religion” and the Yoruba man who was hampered by” traditional hierarchies.”

Is Achebe telling us what some of us already know that Ibos lack a definitive culture, hence, why the arrival of the white man was their only claim to success?

He therefore described the Igbo, who are predominantly Catholic, as “fearing no god or man, was “custom-made to grasp the opportunities, such as they were, of the white man’s dispensations. And the Igbo did so with both hands.”

Suffice to say catholicism and white man saved Ibo, right?

He delved into history with his claim, asserting that the Igbo overcame the earlier Yoruba advantage within two decades earlier in the twentieth century.

How can you overcome a genuine civilisation when you never had any?

“Although the Yoruba had a huge historical and geographical head start, the Igbo wiped out their handicap in one fantastic burst of energy in the twenty years between 1930 and 1950.”

How can you wipe out something that's ingrained in the annals of history??

He narrated the earlier advantage of Yoruba as contingent on their location on the coastline, but once the missionaries crossed the Niger, the Igbo took advantage of the opportunity and overtook the Yoruba.

Ibos also had access to the coastline with Ibibios through Arochukwu and Yorubas built their biggest civilisation far away from the coastline. At the peak of Yoruba civilisation, they never needed the coastline. This shows that Ibos were not intelligent enough to build anything with the white man, right?

‘The increase was so exponential in such a short time that within three short decades the Igbos had closed the gap and quickly moved ahead as the group with the highest literacy rate, the highest standard of living, and the greatest of citizens with postsecondary education in Nigeria,” he contended.

How can Ibos be the greatest of citizens with post-education in Nigeria when there's no Ibo in the top-10 list of the most successful/richest Nigerians?

In conclusion, Achebe has a crippled brain, tell him to stick to fictional tales about Okonkwo. He rode on Okonkwo's back in "Things Fall Apart" to the top whilst praising the arrival of the white in the same breath. What a useless, white man azz kisser Achebe of man is.

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Onlytruth(m): 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
dayokanu:

You mean after all these you rape them?

First female Speaker in Nigeria is a yoruba woman

Lagos State has a female Deputy, Ekiti has a female deputy, Osun has a female deputy

Tell us about the fate of female in NdYibo Politics

Igbo female is your de facto "Prime Minister".
If she were Yoruba, she'd been killed by political enemies who fear her rise.
Nigeria has produced more female Igbo ministers (pure technocrats) than you can ever dream of.

You know what, the longer I try to teach you, the more I realize that I should heed Achebe and just keep quiet.
Action speaks louder than words. wink

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by kpozite(m): 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2012
though I respect the Prof but these are obviously symptoms of senility
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Noiseless2: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2012
Eze Onlytruth igadi o! And yet you still maintain we remain in this cursed niggaria, please we need you all to support Biafra there is no place like home.
Onlytruth:

WHY ARE YOU STILL MARRIED TO AN IGBO MAN, since we are the worst humans on earth.

You moronic "Naijerians" are just pathetic and lack shame.

[size=16pt]How can you hate what you cannot live without?[/size]

What type of animals are you?

Chineke ekwena ife ojoo! undecided angry
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by oneeast: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2012
blasterman: Awolowo was just a civilian in a Miltary government. Gowon was the military commander while muritala
Was vice during the war the way ppl are talking one would think awolowo was the military ruler.

Does that explain why AWOLOLO committed suicide..?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2012
I would have to disagree with Achebe again on these wrong claims because the facts doesn't support his claims.......

1.... he said, He observed that the Igbo culture’s emphasis on change, individualism and competitiveness gave his ethnic group an edge over the Hausa/Fulani man who was hindered by a “wary religion” and the Yoruba man who was hampered by” traditional hierarchies.

Rubbish......

Individualism doesn't make a society strong, no great civilization, past or present has thrived on individualism.... Great civilizations thrive on Cooperation, values and respect.

Great civilization are better off doing things together, speaking with one voice, standing together, and forming a great brotherly bond. From Ancient Rome to Modern civilization, you see cooperation at work...

2..... How can a form of Hierarchy impede growth? With civilization comes hierarchy, and an effective form hierarchy produces a great civilization. Ancient Rome had senators, Emperors, and courts.
So hierarchy isn't always a bad thing as Achebe claimed..

3....IF the Igbos are that progressive and advanced as he claimed, why can't we see its effects in the current South-Eastern states? Instead, what we see in Igbo States are dilapidated infrastructures, and towns riddled with crimes. Nigeria currently operates a federal system, and over a 12 year period, no igbo state is doing above average. How can Achebe make this bogus claim when Igbo governors aren't performing extraordinarily better than their counterparts in other states?

Achebe, if your people did embraced Catholicism wholeheartedly as you claimed, why OKIJA? A one time governor once killed a chief judge and his wife in cold blood, and nothing was done to apprehend him!!!

4....Igbo's massive participation in slavery in the 18TH century, what do you call that?

Prof Achebe, I will never say Yorubas are better either, because that would make me non-objective, but I think you are wrong to say Yorubas hate the Igbos because Igbos are advanced and progressive... I can't see any advancement and progress that they possess that no other tribe possesses...

If Yorubas and Fulanis hate the Igbos, It is because of your kinsmen's greed, selfishness, diabolical love for money, and their pride..... All these vile qualities I just
mentioned are quite alien to Yoruba communities, and the love of money shouldn't be mistaken for ambition.

If Yorubas hate the Igbos, why do you feel so much at home in south western states? You are allowed to own houses, set up businesses, and even enjoy privileges most Yorubas don't enjoy.

So Prof Achebe, get your facts right! Leave America, come down to Lagos, Ibadan and Ogun, and see how your kinsmen are having a good time. You will also find your kinsmen attending best private universities you find in Nigeria, in Yoruba states...

Prof Chinua, if you see that as hatred, then I'm sorry you are wrong!!

13 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by dayokanu(m): 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
Onlytruth:

Igbo female is your de facto "Prime Minister".
If she were Yoruba, she'd been killed by political enemies who fear her rise.
Nigeria has produced more female Igbo ministers (pure technocrats) than you can ever dream of.

You know what, the longer I try to teach you, the more I realize that I should heed Achebe and just keep quiet.
Action speaks louder than words. wink

What is de facto? Did you vote her into power? Iweala is an appointee.

We Yorubas gave Nigeria her highest Female Political office holder Speaker

We have 3 female deputy Governors

Tell us the fate of Igbos women in Politics

When the truth comes out lies runs for cover. Female Deputy in Lagos Osun and Ekiti. First female speaker

Tell us about Igbo women in Politic Eze wuruwuru

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by GenOrumov: 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by GenOrumov: 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
Elebiju: I don't know we still have wise people like u on nairaland,ehn but kindly answer this question,will u trust a tribe that doesn't believe I̶̲̥̅̊n unity?
@ okosodo, as a neutralist, it will be reasonable of you to answer this question from a neutral point with a Yes or No.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bittyend(m): 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
Summary:

Without the arrival of the Europeans, Ibos would still be living in forest fighting village community wrestling, with their women running around butt naked. That was what Achebe was trying to tell us.

Ibos need to start thanking the arrival of the Europeans for their rise to chest-beating and fame.

I rest my case. cool

6 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by oneeast: 4:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
Does that explain why AWOLOLO committed suicide..huh?

Also does that explain why ARM-ROBBERS YOROBBERS took bribe to hand over Abioala and his wife to be slaughtered by the ordinary almajiris..??
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by oneeast: 4:05pm On Oct 20, 2012
obo_man: I would have to disagree with Achebe again on these wrong claims because the facts doesn't support his claims.......

1.... he said, He observed that the Igbo culture’s emphasis on change, individualism and competitiveness gave his ethnic group an edge over the Hausa/Fulani man who was hindered by a “wary religion” and the Yoruba man who was hampered by” traditional hierarchies.

Rubbish......

Individualism doesn't make a society strong, no great civilization, past or present has thrived on individualism.... Great civilizations thrive on Cooperation, values and respect.

Great civilization are better off doing things together, speaking with one voice, standing together, and forming a great brotherly bond. From Ancient Rome to Modern civilization, you see cooperation at work...

2..... How can a form of Hierarchy impede growth? With civilization comes hierarchy, and an effective form hierarchy produces a great civilization. Ancient Rome had senators, Emperors, and courts.
So hierarchy isn't always a bad thing as Achebe claimed..

3....IF the Igbos are that progressive and advanced as he claimed, why can't we see its effects in the current South-Eastern states? Instead, what we see in Igbo States are dilapidated infrastructures, and towns riddled with crimes. Nigeria currently operates a federal system, and over a 12 year period, no igbo state is doing above average. How can Achebe make this bogus claim when Igbo governors aren't performing extraordinarily better than their counterparts in other states?

Achebe, if your people did embraced Catholicism wholeheartedly as you claimed, why OKIJA? A one time governor once killed a chief judge and his wife in cold blood, and nothing was done to apprehend him!!!

4....Igbo's massive participation in slavery in the 18TH century, what do you call that?

Prof Achebe, I will never say Yorubas are better either, because that would make me non-objective, but I think you are wrong to say Yorubas hate the Igbos because Igbos are advanced and progressive... I can't see any advancement and progress that they possess that no other tribe possesses...

If Yorubas and Fulanis hate the Igbos, It is because of your kinsmen's greed, selfishness, diabolical love for money, and their pride..... All these vile qualities I just
mentioned are quite alien to Yoruba communities, and the love of money shouldn't be mistaken for ambition.

If Yorubas hate the Igbos, why do you feel so much at home in south western states? You are allowed to own houses, set up businesses, and even enjoy privileges most Yorubas don't enjoy.

So Prof Achebe, get your facts right! Leave America, come down to Lagos, Ibadan and Ogun, and see how your kinsmen are having a good time. You will also find your kinsmen attending best private universities you find in Nigeria, in Yoruba states...

Prof Chinua, if you see that as hatred, then I'm sorry you are wrong!!

Does that explain why AWOLOLO committed suicide..huh?

Also does that explain why ARM-ROBBERS YOROBBERS took bribe to hand over Abioala and his wife to be slaughtered by the ordinary almajiris..??

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by nwabobo: 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
AlJ_harem, can you put up a list from your state that can compete with the list from Anambra below. If you do that, I'll denounce my Igbo lineage;

ANAMBRA STATE

Odumegwu Ojukwu

Chinua Achebe

Emeka Anyaoku

Chimamanda Adichie

Cardinal Arinze

Philip Emeagwali

Alex Ekwueme

Dora Akunyili

Chinyelu Onwura (Labour Party MP, UK)

Chuka Umunna (Labour party MP, UK)

Charles Soludo

Oby Ezekwesili

Cosmas Maduka (Coscharis)

Cletus Ibeto

Emeka Offor

Nnamdi Azikiwe

Nwafor Orizu (Nigeria's 1st senate presido)

Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu (1st African multi millionaire)

Chike Obi

Kenneth Dike (1st Nigerian VC of a university UI)

Ben Enweonwu

Pius Okigbo

Chuba Okadigbo

Jerome Udoji

Cyprian Ekwensi

Augustine Ilodibe (Ekene DiliChukwu)

Prof. Samuel Okoye etc
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by tiwasiaife(m): 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
People find it difficult to comprehend english. He said that religion hindered hausa/fulani man frm dev. Cos they neva believd in educatn. And deprived the females opportunity to go to skul. 4 the yorubas. He said that the issue of obeying their chiefs and traditonal affliliatns irrespective of hw educatd he/she is has hindered their dev. 2.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Ajillo: 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
Guys have to think of what Achebe is saying. By the time the 1st preaching was done in Badagry, no single Igbo man in Igbo land had heard of any other religion other than their traditional ones. Today Igbos rock shoulders with the Yoruba in christianity. By the time Yourubas went to schools as Furabey college, no single Igbo man in Igbo land has know how to read and write. Today the igbo are neck to neck with the Yoruba in education. You must ask how they did it. This what Achebe is saying.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

2019: Non-indigenes Leave Kano Ahead Of Polls / My Sacking, Miscarriage Of Justice — Dino Melaye / Festus Mbisiogu, Igbo Man of the Year sets agenda for Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.