Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,769 members, 7,831,475 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo (37531 Views)

Why Nigerians Hate Igbo, By Chinua Achebe / See How Nigerians Hate Asari Dokubo (pics) / 'fashola Doesn't Hate Igbo People In Lagos' -chief Obinna Ezenwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Ayoobscom(m): 4:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
I don't blame the proff those painting of self culture is only parochial and pardonably biased
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 20, 2012
cristog120: can anyone imagine how many years it took the igbos to recover from the ravages of the civil war which the yorubas and hausas didnt witness? just a few years.but today they are way ahead of the rest economically,educationally and otherwise.compare biafra and other war torn african counties and relate it with the thoughts of achebe.what an igbo man is suffering from today is envy emanating from our co associates in this fake enclave called nigeria.they all know it. go to any major market around this coutry,major schools around the world,all countries of the world, from east to west,north to south, you will tell the tales yourself.
Nonsense! War is always like that. We have seen it happened to Germars, Japanese, Israelis, Angolans,etc. It always make the loser to strive hard to build something unique yet Igbo lack uniqueness in this area.

They are mere arrogant and trouble-making individuals who think others hate them from their guilty consciences.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ba7man(m): 4:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
cristog120: can anyone imagine how many years it took the igbos to recover from the ravages of the civil war which the yorubas and hausas didnt witness? just a few years.but today they are way ahead of the rest economically,educationally and otherwise.compare biafra and other war torn african counties and relate it with the thoughts of achebe.what an igbo man is suffering from today is envy emanating from our co associates in this fake enclave called nigeria.they all know it. go to any major market around this coutry,major schools around the world,all countries of the world, from east to west,north to south, you will tell the tales yourself.
Since the Igbos feel this is the case, why do u guys keep bombarding us with all this "They hate us" talk What better payback is there than to surpass your enemies??
Since you're better we shuld b the ones complaining.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ektbear: 4:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
KENESAGA: @EKT_BEAR THERE'S NOTHING LIKE SUPERIORITY COMPLEX HERE, U AR D ONE FEELING INFERIOR, HE JUST SAID D TRUTH ABOUT IGBOS. SO IF I SAY THAT YEROBAS HAS THE HIGHEST NO. OF PROF WILL IT IMPLY THAT THEY AR SUPERIO.U & UR KIND SHUOLD STOP OVER BLOWIN ISSUES

My point is simple. But since you are unable to understand it, let me repeat it in a slightly different manner.

There are two separate issues here:
a) The hypothesis that Igbos truly are superior to every other group in Nigeria.
b) Igbos acting as if (a) is true.

You keep focusing on (a). But my point is that (b) is what has caused everyone to hate you. And arguably, that they are justified in hating you.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by nwabobo: 4:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
Onlytruth: And this is the point I leave the thread.

Signing off,

Onlytruth, Ndu di n'eziokwu 1 of Igboland, Eze Ndigbo Nairaland. cool cool cool

Haba Eze Ndigbo, are you abandoning us in the thick of battle? Hope you are not going to Ivory Coast in search of peace sha grin grin

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by chiefbatiatus(m): 4:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
This is the plain truth;
1) There is nothing exceptional or special about Ibos except for their false sense of superiority which has no basis in anything. That is why its normal in Ibo culture to dream anything no matter how inordinate, hence the reason for the vices in Ibo society or wherever they are
2) Been a graduate I have schooled for at least 19 years across different schools in the country along with many ethnic groups, I have not seen any proof of Ibo intellectual or academic superiority as claimed by achebe. In all other ethnic groups have exelled where many many Ibos have failed before. So what are you talking about?
3) Now even in callings like workmanship, Ibos are among the worst technicians in this country. Ibo mechanics are only smart in cheating their customer, they hardly fix a car sufficiently. In Abuja the worst houses are built by Ibos. All the crappy houses and estates in Abuja like Trademore estate, AMAC/Aco estate, Efab estate, etc plus the numerous shopping plazas built by Ibos are totally useless buildings that are just modern slums. You can almost point out a house built by Ibos and the one by Yoruba or others. All they know is use tile, flashy paint and POP to embellish their obviously poor job and surprisingly they expect others to be deceived
4) Ibos are also short-sighted which is one of the main reason for the suffering of the Ibos (and us identified as their brother) today, go to europe, US, asia, the Ibos have made a mess of our name due to their shortsightedness. An Ibo due to his inate dumbness does not know it is shallow to cheat or steal where others like you (or even you possibly) are soon to come in the future. It is a lack of basic intelligence to steal or cheat where others like you will go to. Recently Indonesian govt say there are 500 nigerians on death row there and 480 are from anambra state! So is that intelligence?
5) Ibos due to their immaturity are also quick to drawing conclusions. Get an Ibo trainee to learn a trade under you for say 2 yrs, by the 2nd month the chap is already having the conclusion that he can do better than you and is ready to start making money now so he has to be on his own! The word on the street can confirm the level of havoc these chaps have wreaked on this country.

I think all in all, the Ibos think there is something about themselves and that they deserve better, please get this into your skulls that there is nothing, absolutely nothing special about Ibos. The only thing is that you are eagar to display that you are smart which in itself is the first sign of dumbness. Also you have lack the real sense of dignity which normally gives you the opportunity to cheat others first, which you however still pay back. You can see how Ibo 'smartness' has dealt with your chance of becoming president in nigeria? That is to tell you that displaying smartness too early is actually the first sign of cluelessness

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Asiwaju9ja(m): 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2012
I used to respect this Man alot and I now have reservations. I respect the igbo race for their ingenuity,resourcefulness, never-say-die attitude and commerce. However, Mr. Achebe has not extricated himself from the Biafran Mentality, which I think our leaders are helping to foster(including Achebe) The igbo race like other ethnic groups in Nigeria has lost its ideals. The whole Qualities I mentioned earlier has been given negative perspectives from the action of their kinsmen. A particular example was when the Senate Presidency was zoned to the east. You and I know what transpired, how many senate presidents did we have within that short time? I expected a colossal icon like CA to work for the unification of Nigeria, instead of writing novels that will further speed us apart. I am sorry to say, Mr. Achebe has left the country for long, he does no know what his average kinsman is ready to do to make money at the expense of his fellow igbo man. Please sir, you opinion of the igbo race has long been overshadowed by GREED.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bittyend(m): 4:34pm On Oct 20, 2012
Before I move on to better thing and leave these lousy chest-beating Ibos/Igbos/eboes to their grandiose delusions.

Allow me to post what the European missionaries said about Ibos/Igbos/eboes(I saw this on a thread), since Achebe said the arrival of the Europeans is the source of their chest-beating and noisemaking.

Enjoy

Among The Ibos Of Nigeria, GT Basden, London, Seeley, Service & Co, 1921

…The appearance of a crowd of carriers, with their spare frames, spindle-legs and cucumber
calves, often prompts the thought that the men must have recently experienced a period of famine. On the western side this is not the case. There the people are shorter and are of a stocky, thick-set build. They are disposed to be lazy yet they are passionate, and of a rash and fiery temperament, the result probably of an over-abundant supply of rich food……The shape of the skull repeats itself with astonishing regularity, this pecularity[b][/b], perhaps, being accounted for by the process of moulding the shape of the head during infancy……Every town, and, incidentally, every family or household, stands by itself. There is no combination between town and town. Although speaking the same language, and in times of peace intermarrying with one another, the nearest neighbours are still regarded as strangers, e.g., the people of Onitsha and those of Opusi do not reckon themselves as of one tribe, though a distance of less than five miles separates the two towns.

Pg 33-34

Nor were these fears groundless[b]. Cannibalism, human sacrifices and other savage customs were real fact[/b]s,and flourished within five miles of the outskirts of Onitsha, and no one would dare swear that the inhabitants of even that town were all entirely innocent !

pg 37
…It was in close proximity to this place that, as was well known, a cannibal feast had lately been held. Amongst our lads there was a small boy whose father had been a servant to the Niger Company. Whilst carrying a message to Obushi, the father was murdered and his body disposed of according to time-honoured custom.

https://www.nairaland.com/1069237/igbos-nigeria-british-missionaries
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by sammyjay3(m): 4:34pm On Oct 20, 2012
dis Igbos on come again with their crase chai igbo man don sufferooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by jayM: 4:35pm On Oct 20, 2012
Drugdealaz sndin money 4rm diaspora.lol
Onlytruth:

How can we take out Lagos, when about 20% of Igbo investments and assets are there?
You also want us to forget Delta and Rivers states?

Are you for real?

This is what I call lying to oneself.

BTW I didn't add our investments in the North because of strategic reasons. wink

We diaspora Igbo send more money into Nigeria than you can ever dream of.

I personally hate bragging about stuff like this, and I totally agree with Achebe that we Igbos should operate silently. wink
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by frederal(m): 4:35pm On Oct 20, 2012
chief batiatus: This is the plain truth;
1) There is nothing exceptional or special about Ibos except for their false sense of superiority which has no basis in anything. That is why its normal in Ibo culture to dream anything no matter how inordinate, hence the reason for the vices in Ibo society or wherever they are
2) Been a graduate I have schooled for at least 19 years across different schools in the country along with many ethnic groups, I have not seen any proof of Ibo intellectual or academic superiority as claimed by achebe. In all other ethnic groups have exelled where many many Ibos have failed before. So what are you talking about?
3) Now even in callings like workmanship, Ibos are among the worst technicians in this country. Ibo mechanics are only smart in cheating their customer, they hardly fix a car sufficiently. In Abuja the worst houses are built by Ibos. All the crappy houses and estates in Abuja like Trademore estate, AMAC/Aco estate, Efab estate, etc plus the numerous shopping plazas built by Ibos are totally useless buildings that are just modern slums. You can almost point out a house built by Ibos and the one by Yoruba or others. All they know is use tile, flashy paint and POP to embellish their obviously poor job and surprisingly they expect others to be deceived
4) Ibos are also short-sighted which is one of the main reason for the suffering of the Ibos (and us identified as their brother) today, go to europe, US, asia, the Ibos have made a mess of our name due to their shortsightedness. An Ibo due to his inate dumbness does not know it is shallow to cheat or steal where others like you (or even you possibly) are soon to come in the future. It is a lack of basic intelligence to steal or cheat where others like you will go to. Recently Indonesian govt say there are 500 nigerians on death row there and 480 are from anambra state! So is that intelligence?
5) Ibos due to their immaturity are also quick to drawing conclusions. Get an Ibo trainee to learn a trade under you for say 2 yrs, by the 2nd month the chap is already having the conclusion that he can do better than you and is ready to start making money now so he has to be on his own! The word on the street can confirm the level of havoc these chaps have wreaked on this country.

I think all in all, the Ibos think there is something about themselves and that they deserve better, please get this into your skulls that there is nothing, absolutely nothing special about Ibos. The only thing is that you are eagar to display that you are smart which in itself is the first sign of dumbness. Also you have lack the real sense of dignity which normally gives you the opportunity to cheat others first, which you however still pay back. You can see how Ibo 'smartness' has dealt with your chance of becoming president in nigeria? That is to tell you that displaying smartness too early is actually the first sign of cluelessness
The Abuja you mentioned, did u also observe †̥hα̲̅†̥ most of the hotels and clubs are owned by Ibos. Truth is just bitter.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by mystikal(m): 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2012
Still won't diminish my love for my Igbo wife anyway.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Balkan(m): 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2012
Coldfeet: Yesterday it was Elechi Amadi today it is Chinua Achebe! Why are the elderly of today not choosing their words with wisdom? Am IGBO by the way and I don't see myself as superior to others neither do I see others as superior to me! Things have indeed fallen apart.

Why is everybody claiming Ibo in this Nairaland. Well you cannot be Ibo mere saying it. Igbo runs in the blood.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Proxytalk: 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2012
Achebe is saying the obvious, but im still surprie that non igbos of nigeria are yet to see this truth or are they pretending? achebe mentioned change, individualism and competitiveness as been igbo advantage. where were yorubas when igbos crossd river niger edo to come and take advantage of wharf installd by colonial masters. why are goods moving from onitsha to nig instaed of lagos to nig. lf you talk abt economy de sectors that has witness real change telecom- engr ernest ndukwe next pge
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by cristog120: 4:39pm On Oct 20, 2012
the mans write up is a clear depiction of what is playing out here. hatred for the igbos.its been there but not in prints.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by FreeGlobe(f): 4:39pm On Oct 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

My point is simple. But since you are unable to understand it, let me repeat it in a slightly different manner.

There are two separate issues here:
a) The hypothesis that Igbos truly are superior to every other group in Nigeria.
b) Igbos acting as if (a) is true.

You keep focusing on (a). But my point is that (b) is what has caused everyone to hate you. And arguably, that they are justified in hating you.
you seem to dwell too much on this your people's hatread for igbos even Achebe has told you clearly its a because of envy and jealousy. We dont care if you hate us, it doesnt stop us from breaking feats or taking over Lagos for instance. We have seen people die of bitterness while the bittered contunue to flourish cool
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Daluuzor(m): 4:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
what an old man sees sitting down, u can never see it, even when u climb d iroko tree. None of us fighting here saw d 60's or 70's so pls, let sleeping dogs lie.
Prof Achebe saw d 60's, and he is narrating his own views. I dont really think its everything we should react to, hauling abuses at him doesnt change what he has said.
We as individuals and learned people, we learn from past mistakes and move on. Saying that a tribe is inferior to the other does not make us less of what we are. Most people are confessing their hatred for the igbos, but they must av in one way or the other benefitted form them or done businesses with them. I do not hate any tribe, i take them the way they take me.
Pls, that few persons from a tribe is bad does not imply that the whole tribe is bad. Lets be rational and show love to one another.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bittyend(m): 4:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
Proxytalk: Achebe is saying the obvious, but im still surprie that non igbos of nigeria are yet to see this truth or are they pretending? achebe mentioned change, individualism and competitiveness as been igbo advantage. where were yorubas when igbos crossd river niger edo to come and take advantage of wharf installd by colonial masters. why are goods moving from onitsha to nig instaed of lagos to nig. lf you talk abt economy de sectors that has witness real change telecom- engr ernest ndukwe next pge

Took advantage in committing crime and kidnapping.

Can you post pictures of Ibo land, so that we can use that to assess your superiority?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
shocked shocked shocked
Proxytalk: Achebe is saying the obvious, but im still surprie that non igbos of nigeria are yet to see this truth or are they pretending? achebe mentioned change, individualism and competitiveness as been igbo advantage. where were yorubas when igbos crossd river niger edo to come and take advantage of wharf installd by colonial masters. why are goods moving from onitsha to nig instaed of lagos to nig. lf you talk abt economy de sectors that has witness real change telecom- engr ernest ndukwe next pge
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Shaw007(m): 4:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
okosodo: Wether you like am or not, na true. It can be seen clearly. I am a BINI guy so i am speaking from a point of neutrality. Nigeria is still marginalising ibo till today, and the result is backwardness for every body because the wrong hausa goats will take their position. We are going nowhere in this country
Brother. . .this is just Bad,plain bad,No other explanatIon,i mean. . .this is One of the Ppl that shud be trying 2 Keep this country a country,No matter what he Might have suffered from the war,Turning tribes against each other is just plain Bad

Of what Use will this be Now,all this Hate for what?? Old Man Like Him(a supposed 'Elder')

And this is One man i used 2 really really respect,i mean RESPECT!!! But Now with his false awolowo accusation,which The Un(or Us) showed with fact was outright false,,all that respect is just down d ocean,sad. . .its really sad

And like someone said,it is this same kind of attitude that makes others hate them,i'm jst Glad i'm Edo,rubbish!!

This sucks BIG TIME!!!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by fio(m): 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2012
[quote
author=obo_man]I would have to disagree with Achebe again on these
wrong claims because the facts doesn't support his claims.......

1.... he said, He observed that the Igbo culture’s emphasis on change,
individualism and competitiveness gave his ethnic group an edge over the
Hausa/Fulani man who was hindered by a “wary religion” and the Yoruba
man who was hampered by” traditional hierarchies.

Rubbish......

Individualism doesn't make a society strong, no great civilization,
past or present has thrived on individualism.... Great civilizations
thrive on Cooperation, values and respect.

Great civilization are better off doing things together, speaking with
one voice, standing together, and forming a great brotherly bond. From
Ancient Rome to Modern civilization, you see cooperation at work...

2..... How can a form of Hierarchy impede growth? With civilization
comes hierarchy, and an effective form hierarchy produces a great
civilization. Ancient Rome had senators, Emperors, and courts.
So hierarchy isn't always a bad thing as Achebe claimed..

3....IF the Igbos are that progressive and advanced as he claimed, why
can't we see its effects in the current South-Eastern states? Instead,
what we see in Igbo States are dilapidated infrastructures, and towns
riddled with crimes. Nigeria currently operates a federal system, and
over a 12 year period, no igbo state is doing above average. How can
Achebe make this bogus claim when Igbo governors aren't performing
extraordinarily better than their counterparts in other states?

Achebe, if your people did embraced Catholicism wholeheartedly as you
claimed, why OKIJA? A one time governor once killed a chief judge and
his wife in cold blood, and nothing was done to apprehend him!!!

4....Igbo's massive participation in slavery in the 18TH century, what
do you call that?

Prof Achebe, I will never say Yorubas are better either, because that
would make me non-objective, but I think you are wrong to say Yorubas
hate the Igbos because Igbos are advanced and progressive... I can't see
any advancement and progress that they possess that no other tribe
possesses...

If Yorubas and Fulanis hate the Igbos, It is because of your kinsmen's
greed, selfishness, diabolical love for money, and their pride..... All
these vile qualities I just
mentioned are quite alien to Yoruba communities, and the love of money
shouldn't be mistaken for ambition.

If Yorubas hate the Igbos, why do you feel so much at home in south
western states? You are allowed to own houses, set up businesses, and
even enjoy privileges most Yorubas don't enjoy.

So Prof Achebe, get your facts right! Leave America, come down to
Lagos, Ibadan and Ogun, and see how your kinsmen are having a good time.
You will also find your kinsmen attending best private universities you
find in Nigeria, in Yoruba states...

Prof Chinua, if you see that as hatred, then I'm sorry you are
wrong!![/quote]

this is true.......come to owode, offa, kwara state u'll see them smilling, selling, happy and safe. u'll se them everywhere, I mean everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by EzeCanada: 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2012
Fellow Nairalanders - including lovers and haters of truth, in this 21st century I think it is better to sit down and analyse what outsiders think of us and the reasons behind the civil war.

Since major ethnic groups in Nigeria are all involved, there are tendencies for people to biased in their judgement.

I can also understand why people go against their conscience to support evil and try to distort history. Majority of Nigerians - especially the past Nigerian leadership are haters of truth.

Now can we cool our tempo to digest what a fact finding group by the UN have to say about the cause of the civil war and now relate it with Prof Achebe's statement on this particular issue....Please enjoy the link below...cubbed from www.igbofriendsofisrael.com

http://www./1968_Biafra%20_Report_By_American_Jewish_Congress.htm
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Balkan(m): 4:44pm On Oct 20, 2012
KENESAGA: HE SAID D TRUTH, HATING IGBOS'LL CHANGE NOFIN, GO 2RU NAIJA ACHIEVERS, #1 INDEPENDENT FIGHTER, 1ST BLACK 2 HEAD COMMONWEALTH, BEST PERFORMING MINISTERS, MOST ACHIEVED FOOTBALLERS, 1ST AFRICAN 2 GO 4 WORLD BANK BOSS, AND OTHES, ALL ARE IGBOS. NO OFENC

1st Nig. To win Gold in Olympics, the list is endless

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode: IPOB's Sit At Home Order Has Brought The East To A Standstill / A Soldier Who Helped To Capture Camp Zero, Boko Haram's Converge Point (Pics) / Governors Akeredolu, Bello mourn TB Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.