Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo (37542 Views)

Why Nigerians Hate Igbo, By Chinua Achebe / See How Nigerians Hate Asari Dokubo (pics) / 'fashola Doesn't Hate Igbo People In Lagos' -chief Obinna Ezenwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bittyend(m): 4:45pm On Oct 20, 2012
We assess a man's superiority based on his assets, qualifications, and achievements.

We assess a group's superiority based on its abode.

I'll accept that Ibos are superior, if any Ibo on this thread can sway me over with pictures of the beautiful and majestic Ibo land. cheesy

I've seen pictures of Enugu, and it's subpar; I want something different.

Who will take the offer and win me over?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2012
EzeCanada: Fellow Nairalanders - including lovers and haters of truth, in this 21st century I think it is better to sit down and analyse what outsiders think of us and the reasons behind the civil war.

Since major ethnic groups in Nigeria are all involved, there are tendencies for people to biased in their judgement. He

I can also understand people can go against their conscience to support evil and try to distort history. Majority of Nigerians - especially the past Nigerian leadership are haters of truth.

Now can we cool our tempo to digest what a fact finding group by the UN have to say about the cause of the civil war and now relate it with what Achebe has said....Please enjoy the link below...cubbed from www.igbofriendsofisrael.com

http://www./1968_Biafra%20_Report_By_American_Jewish_Congress.htm
Providing original source links would do us all good. Neutrality you are bringing in should be the right source being the UN with link from their website.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by blasterman(m): 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2012
I didnt even read it but if it makes u happy so be it. How does awolowos life affect me he had lived his life and he is gone. I have my own life to live i dont live in the past neither do i have any complex. Most of the ppl writng here were nit even born when there was civil war. Ojuwuku was even pardoned by idk which govt and even contested for president. Na una know another bagger will say something tommorrow

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 20, 2012
Chei! See hw truth dey pinch them like cocroach wey dem spray insecticide! shocked

Alh haram don nearly hang himself!(tribal haemophrodite -yoruba 2day, kanuri ystday, igbo 2moro, gwagi nxt 2moro)

blazay (enemy within)don almost drown ha self for atlantic ocean!

Truth is realy biter!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bittyend(m): 4:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
'Superior' Ibos let us see where you live.

Are you scared? cheesy

Post again

We assess a man's superiority based on his assets, qualifications, and achievements.

I'll accept that Ibos are superior, if any Ibo on this thread can sway me over with pictures of the beautiful and majestic Ibo land. cheesy

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by sammyjay3(m): 4:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
chief batiatus: This is the plain truth;
1) There is nothing exceptional or special about Ibos except for their false sense of superiority which has no basis in anything. That is why its normal in Ibo culture to dream anything no matter how inordinate, hence the reason for the vices in Ibo society or wherever they are
2) Been a graduate I have schooled for at least 19 years across different schools in the country along with many ethnic groups, I have not seen any proof of Ibo intellectual or academic superiority as claimed by achebe. In all other ethnic groups have exelled where many many Ibos have failed before. So what are you talking about?
3) Now even in callings like workmanship, Ibos are among the worst technicians in this country. Ibo mechanics are only smart in cheating their customer, they hardly fix a car sufficiently. In Abuja the worst houses are built by Ibos. All the crappy houses and estates in Abuja like Trademore estate, AMAC/Aco estate, Efab estate, etc plus the numerous shopping plazas built by Ibos are totally useless buildings that are just modern slums. You can almost point out a house built by Ibos and the one by Yoruba or others. All they know is use tile, flashy paint and POP to embellish their obviously poor job and surprisingly they expect others to be deceived
4) Ibos are also short-sighted which is one of the main reason for the suffering of the Ibos (and us identified as their brother) today, go to europe, US, asia, the Ibos have made a mess of our name due to their shortsightedness. An Ibo due to his inate dumbness does not know it is shallow to cheat or steal where others like you (or even you possibly) are soon to come in the future. It is a lack of basic intelligence to steal or cheat where others like you will go to. Recently Indonesian govt say there are 500 nigerians on death row there and 480 are from anambra state! So is that intelligence?
5) Ibos due to their immaturity are also quick to drawing conclusions. Get an Ibo trainee to learn a trade under you for say 2 yrs, by the 2nd month the chap is already having the conclusion that he can do better than you and is ready to start making money now so he has to be on his own! The word on the street can confirm the level of havoc these chaps have wreaked on this country.

I think all in all, the Ibos think there is something about themselves and that they deserve better, please get this into your skulls that there is nothing, absolutely nothing special about Ibos. The only thing is that you are eagar to display that you are smart which in itself is the first sign of dumbness. Also you have lack the real sense of dignity which normally gives you the opportunity to cheat others first, which you however still pay back. You can see how Ibo 'smartness' has dealt with your chance of becoming president in nigeria? That is to tell you that displaying smartness too early is actually the first sign of cluelessness
u mae a nice point i also wonder at times what they have that made them superior than others guilty conscience is isturbing you folks called igboo abi na cocaine i know knowoooo
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 20, 2012
greateros: Chei! See hw truth dey pinch them like cocroach wey dem spray insecticide! shocked

Alh haram don nearly hang himself!(tribal haemophrodite -yoruba 2day, kanuri ystday, igbo 2moro, gwagi nxt 2moro)

blazay (enemy within)don almost drown ha self for atlantic ocean!

Truth is realy biter!
This is one of the arrogant behaviors Igbo exhibit. No other ethnic tribes intend insulting the Igbo not until the talk of superiority which they want them to accept because the Alzheimer-suffering prof said so.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bittyend(m): 4:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
Freaking lousy clowns.

Just pray Nigeria don't break-up, because that would be the end of Ibos.

Tired of wasting my bandwidth on you guys.

I dislike Ibos, save this!

Phuck Ibos and phuck NL!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Asiwaju9ja(m): 4:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
This CA matter pain me sha. The man fall my hand. All the rubbish he is writing. As a learned man how can? e pain me well well. Maybe old age and personal Bad belle for the country naim cause this kind scattter yarns. By the way where d man for get accident self? E fit join d Bad Belle o!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by kaaycee(m): 4:56pm On Oct 20, 2012
I guess the truth is bitter in dis country, its operation kill d spiller.
why do we blame the house of rep for asking dat Aruma oteh be sacked for saying d truth wen we can`t accept truth irrespective of whom its pointed at?
Which way NAIJA?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Shaw007(m): 4:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
And why will Ghana,malawi and all other mushroom countries nOt lOok down On you. . .cos u can't even HOLd your fu*cking selfs 2geda and act Like a country for Once 4b God sakes!!! Mtcheww. .Nonsense!!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by EzeCanada: 4:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
all4naija: Providing original source links would do us all good. Neutrality you are bringing in should be the right source being the UN with link from their website.

If I were you, I would zero my mind...digest the article. Then if I feel it is fallacious, I would post a link from another external International group to back my facts.

I want to believe you are a scholar..if so, then act as one otherwise you cannot subdue truth for so long...Have you not heard that there is nothing hidden under the sun?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by frederal(m): 4:58pm On Oct 20, 2012
All the way from east, we enter the west, and took over the markets. And d north, was not left behind. Take away everything, we have, and we will still survive. We bring developments and booms to all part of d nation. Abukam onye amam ihe na west, bu abukam onye nzuzu na east. Truth is bitter, why d hates.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
Policewoman: Achebe is merely stating the obvious. Germany was roundly defeated inthe 1st and then 2nd world wars and subsequently occupied by their victors, U.S and USSR. But instead of the U.S continuing to hold them down, they actually exploited their ingeniousness. It is to the credit of the german rocket scientists who were hitherto NAZIs, that America was able to beat the soviet union in the race to put a man on the moon. U.S did nothing to interfere with the German industrialisation after the war. The result is that since the unification of Germany after the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989, d country has since moved from a conquered territory to a great European power. Now back home, Gowon and Nigeia failed to tap into the great innovations witnessed in Biafra which enabled them withstand the Nigeria-UK onslaught for 3 years. They instead relegated them to the background. They instead resorted to exploitation of their crude oil resources. The result is there for us to see. Has Nigeria fared any better? Karma has a way of coming back. If you hold a man down, you are invariably holding yourself down too. Just a food for thought.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by CARLISTO77(m): 4:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
bittyend: Can Ibos survive without Nigeria? I really doubt that because they need others to survive. I have never seen any other prominent Nigerian from the other ethnic groups make noise about the success story by comparing their achievements or lack thereof with others; only Ibos do that. Which means, the average Ibo man feeds off the energy of the other ethnic groups.

Personally, I'll like to see a divided Nigeria, where everyone returns to their region, and build a nation based on their intelligence. I think Ibos would struggle to build a nation state!

Basically, I think the Edos are the biggest achievers in Nigeria due to their size and the quality of people they have produced. However, you will never see them make noise about it. And their culture is the richest.

My guy, you're miles' lot, too savvy.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Noiseless2: 4:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
The ones who are being excessively arrogant are the likes who find it very easy to jump in to attack Igbos for lamenting about injustice meted to them by your niggarios government, and yet would crawl back to their caves when your hausa/fulani husbands would say anything against them (Yorubas,including forcing their fellow war criminal awolowo to commit suicide and refusing to accept that abiola won the election in 1993,imprisoning and went ahead to murder him.
ekt_bear: The issue many will have is not whether the statement is true or not. Heck, perhaps it even is.

But...in my own personal life, I have learned that excessive arrogance is dangerous.

Despite the fact that I think myself superior to 99% of humanity, I certainly have learned (the hard way) not to openly show this.

Now, imagine if I not only openly displayed and belittled all those around me, but also transferred my personal success to say my ethnic group.

It would make no sense to complain of the hatred of others.

This is just a basic aspect of learning to live with other human beings. If you are arrogant, people will work hard to take you down and even destroy you.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
all4naija: This is one of the arrogant behaviors Igbo exhibit. No other ethnic tribes intend insulting the Igbo not until the talk of superiority which they want them to accept because the Alzheimer-suffering prof said so.

cry me a river cry cry
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by buffny: 5:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
chiboy11: I don't want a bifran nation, but I tink d igbos made a long head way during d war dat d country Nigeria ve nt achieve till 2day,local refinery ,bomb n amunition production n co,secondly if u look at d igbo dey re industrious n every were in dis country n word but u hardly find d yorubas or hausa dat way,a yoruba man at his 50 yers prefers to stay in his fathers house marry n ocupy a room, an hausa man wil prefer dey re 50 stayin in a shop were eva dey re,take a look @lagos 4example d numbers of igbo dat own a house outnumba wen combine a hausa n yoruba, so tumbs up 4d igbo

is this based on verified fact or are u just pulling numbers out of you ass.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by mimifonwon(f): 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
alj harem:

And she is edo as well. I am a lagosian as well thus you can consider me as a neutral if you like. You uncalled hate for the northerners is uncalled for.

Everyone have their short comings and I am not removing even mine but this superiority complex Achebe is displaying here is the dum.best thing a man as Old as him would do. He has no respect from himself and the people writing his article.

Al i have noticed something about you, you are a green snake, and sadly a tribalist. What achebe writes is true, even other historians have written it, it has nothing to do with tribe. And yes am yoruba by the way. So dont try to come at me with any tribalistic bull sh!t. I dont blame you though, i blame our parents generation that passed down these tribalistic thinking to some of us. I have read accounts from international bodies, even the colonizing body, the british affirms the same conclusion achebe is simply rehashing. The yorubas had the advantage for over 50 years for they were the first people to be colonized and get western education,while eastern nigerians, especially the igbos were the last frontier as they tried to resist everything western until they no longer can. But you have to admit ( that is if you choose to do unbiased research and read other historical accounts) the igbos in a short period of time economically surpassed their northern and southwestern counterparts, and even caught up in education in the whiteman's tongue with the west. So before you start abusing a man and a history you know nothing and looks like you care nothing about, please do your research and try and see if you can find any historical record or written work that is contrary to what achebe writes. And you cannot in honest truth not say that since the civil war that the north and southwestern nigeria have not tried to keep any igbo man from becoming a president or even vice president for the fear that he might create another biafra or even worse keep the resources in eastern nigeria to the east. Please dont come at me with, ummm north has this, southwest has that, the truth is that the bulk of nigeria's wealth has always been in the lands that were curved as biafra. Yes i understand you will point out that igbos are not the only tribe in eastern nigeria, and true, but some of those tribes that trusted in nigeria, had their traditional homeland dashed off to another country, so there are consequences to everything we do in life. My dear brother tell the truth, infact accept the truth, swallow it and shame the devil. You know sometimes good medicine can be extremely bitter, but at the end it helps cure the disease of ignorance and lies we have accepted due to tribalistic sentiments. Btw i will not be responding to any of your rude comments, and yes my mother is igbo and so what. All I have to say to you is read other outside historical accounts before you respond to things written by a credible man, who in his old age would not try to ruin his life works with lies. So please always do you research and dont let your emotions lead you, rather allow unbiased un-tribalistic reasoning to guide you. HAPPY SABBATH EVERYONE!!

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by FreeGlobe(f): 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
Shaw007: But Now with his false awolowo accusation,which The Un(or Us) showed with fact was outright false,,all that respect is just down d ocean,sad. . .its really sad
you must be a piece of jerk for saying the above. False accusation really.. You are even desperate to justify your false point with a cooked story from premium times of which the US does not know about.
keep drowning in denial.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
utumunta: I salute Achebe's courage 4 saying what Nigerians harbour in their minds.
1. Y do d hausa/fulani think dat they are naturally born to rule ds con3? They believe they are superior dan d rest of us.
2. Y do d yorubas alwaz align wt d hausa/fulani in politics? They thnk dat hausas are better positioned 2 wrest power 4rm d oda tribes(IGBOS) & hand over to them when they are tired
Check d success recorded in terms of inventions , scientific breakthrus , military tact n might during d Biafra war 2 knw if Achebe is wrong.
He ws right 2 say dat Nigerians cn only reach a consensus when such is targetd agenst d igbos. It is playing out on nairaland & it played out during d war.
Shame dat a ppl awo wantd 2 halt wt his £2
policy, own 60% of Lagos 2day.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by EkoIle1: 5:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
FreeGlobe:
you seem to dwell too much on this your people's hatread for igbos even Achebe has told you clearly its a because of envy and jealousy. We dont care if you hate us, it doesnt stop us from breaking feats or taking over Lagos for instance. We have seen people die of bitterness while the bittered contunue to flourish cool

The only thing you are doing in lagos is working your axss off and paying taxes for us to develope our state at the expense of your village. You people are like migrant workers.

When the time comes for everybody to bare their papas name, you are getting kicked out and you can't take anything back to your village. They say once bitten twice shy, but you clowns are like ileya goats, you don't learn because you spend your life underestimating other people.

See how dumb you people are? You think you are smarter than other people but you are and clueless.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by FreeGlobe(f): 5:08pm On Oct 20, 2012
bittyend: We assess a man's superiority based on his assets, qualifications, and achievements.

I take the offer, you may want to compare the subpar pictures of Enugu you saw with the entire south west joined together save Lagos. Your question answered.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ba7man(m): 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2012
I'm sure the Igbo people complaining on this forum are the ones with the reverse mentality. I know a lot of nice Igbo folks that aren't like any of these ones complaining here. I don't normally insult people but some of them sound like they're "boys" in a shop in either Alaba,Ladipo or computer village. These are not the Igbo progressives, these are probably their helps.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ektbear: 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2012
FreeGlobe:
you seem to dwell too much on this your people's hatread for igbos even Achebe has told you clearly its a because of envy and jealousy. We dont care if you hate us, it doesnt stop us from breaking feats or taking over Lagos for instance. We have seen people die of bitterness while the bittered contunue to flourish cool

I don't care if Nigerians hate Igbo or not. It doesn't affect my daily life in any way. I am just explaining why they do.

If you also don't care and are comfortable with it, then that is fine.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
mimifonwon:
Al i have noticed something about you, you are a green snake, and sadly a tribalist. What achebe writes is true, even other historians have written it, it has nothing to do with tribe. And yes am yoruba by the way. So dont try to come at me with any tribalistic bull sh!t. I dont blame you though, i blame our parents generation that passed down these tribalistic thinking to some of us. I have read accounts from international bodies, even the colonizing body, the british affirms the same conclusion achebe is simply rehashing. The yorubas had the advantage for over 50 years for they were the first people to be colonized and get western education,while eastern nigerians, especially the igbos were the last frontier as they tried to resist everything western until they no longer can. But you have to admit ( that is if you choose to do unbiased research and read other historical accounts) the igbos in a short period of time economically surpassed their northern and southwestern counterparts, and even caught up in education in the whiteman's tongue with the west. So before you start abusing a man and a history you know nothing and looks like you care nothing about, please do your research and try and see if you can find any historical record or written work that is contrary to what achebe writes. And you cannot in honest truth not say that since the civil war that the north and southwestern nigeria have not tried to keep any igbo man from becoming a president or even vice president for the fear that he might create another biafra or even worse keep the resources in eastern nigeria to the east. Please dont come at me with, ummm north has this, southwest has that, the truth is that the bulk of nigeria's wealth has always been in the lands that were curved as biafra. Yes i understand you will point out that igbos are not the only tribe in eastern nigeria, and true, but some of those tribes that trusted in nigeria, had their traditional homeland dashed off to another country, so there are consequences to everything we do in life. My dear brother tell the truth, infact accept the truth, swallow it and shame the devil. You know sometimes good medicine can be extremely bitter, but at the end it helps cure the disease of ignorance and lies we have accepted due to tribalistic sentiments. Btw i will not be responding to any of your rude comments, and yes my mother is igbo and so what. All I have to say to you is read other outside historical accounts before you respond to things written by a credible man, who in his old age would not try to ruin his life works with lies. So please always do you research and dont let your emotions lead you, rather allow unbiased un-tribalistic reasoning to guide you. HAPPY SABBATH EVERYONE!!

Can you stop calling yourself yoruba?
Little girl, you are Igbo?
Just cos a yoruba man strayed his prick inside your Igbo mum
that doesn't make you yoruba.

you're a girl and you took after your mom.
you're Igbo. stop the nonsense!

Ashebe is still being haunted by the spirits of okonkwo,
don't take him seriously.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by omayyi: 5:11pm On Oct 20, 2012
I genuinely love the way the dumb ibos are making more enemies by the day, lol. Keep up the good job, fooooooools. Time will tell.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by chiefbatiatus(m): 5:12pm On Oct 20, 2012
frederal:
The Abuja you mentioned, did u also observe †̥hα̲̅†̥ most of the hotels and clubs are owned by Ibos. Truth is just bitter.

Did I say you don't own them? But they are crap! Infact most estates in abuja are owned by Ibos but what is their quality like? Let's go to your east where I lived and worked before, the same kind of buildings! Small rooms, low cement quality, rough finishing but fine painting and tile. Go to the west and see how houses are built.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Balkan(m): 5:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
cristog120: can anyone imagine how many years it took the igbos to recover from the ravages of the civil war which the yorubas and hausas didnt witness? just a few years.but today they are way ahead of the rest economically,educationally and otherwise.compare biafra and other war torn african counties and relate it with the thoughts of achebe.what an igbo man is suffering from today is envy emanating from our co associates in this fake enclave called nigeria.they all know it. go to any major market around this coutry,major schools around the world,all countries of the world, from east to west,north to south, you will tell the tales yourself.you can only be criticized by those u outshine in all things.any criticism is accepted by me.truth is very bitter when told in the public domain.

Onyem, you have said it all. You only can throw sticks to a fruitful tree. The one tree without fruit is always ignored.

Ibos have taken over the economy of Nigeria that is why they hate us. This country will not divide bc we need this mumu yorobbers to graze on.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply)

Festus Mbisiogu, Igbo Man of the Year sets agenda for Buhari / Emir Of Kano, Sanusi Meets Osinbajo Today (Photos) / Clinton Turns Down National Peace Committee’s Invite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.