Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,101 members, 7,811,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" (9751 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by CrazyMan(m): 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2012
Seun: Please, let this be a female only affair. No male judges or officials or contestants.
Good idea oga...but the debate is a week from today

How do we come up with females who would judge under such short notice...most of them never replied the messages we sent for them to debate.

What's the probability that they judge if we invite them.

I would suggest we still retain the ones we have...and then replace the ones that no longer have interest to participate.

This way, the job would be much easier on us, and the debate would be a success.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by CrazyMan(m): 7:38pm On Nov 17, 2012
Mynd_44:
Not supported. Plans have been made since and it was okay till some people could not take jokes.
Exactly...
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Mynd44: 7:43pm On Nov 17, 2012
CrazyMan:
Good idea oga...but the debate is a week from today

How do we come up with females who would judge under such short notice...most of them never replied the messages we sent for them to debate.

What's the probability that they judge if we invite them.

I would suggest we still retain the ones we have...and then replace the ones that no longer have interest to participate.

This way, the job would be much easier on us, and the debate would be a success.
Why are we bothered about what Seun said? He just voiced his opinions and that has been noted. If the opinions would ge followed now depends on the organisers of this and what they have planned.

I say go ahead with the debate. You have gone too far to be dropping all the judges now. If anyone wants to opt out, fine. It should not affect the rest.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by EfemenaXY: 7:46pm On Nov 17, 2012
Seun: Please, let this be a female only affair. No male judges or officials or contestants.

Excellent suggestion!

At least that would nicely eliminate the issue of sexism and sexists "jokes".

Definition of Sexism:

1. Attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of s/e/x.ual roles.

2. Discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; especially, such discrimination directed against women.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Mynd44: 7:52pm On Nov 17, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Excellent suggestion!

Definition of Sexism:

2. Discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; especially, such discrimination directed against women.
That will mean re-organising the whole thing. I don't think you realise how much stress this involved. If you are not comfortable, opt out. Its easy
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Cuddlemii: 7:54pm On Nov 17, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Excellent suggestion!

Definition of Sexism:

1. Attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

You know I refrained from replying you with all the losses you have caused us in this debate but I think you should be told the truth.
You are the architect of all the issues we have been having from day one. We did everything in our power to accommodate your excesses.
You drove all the female debaters away and I had to appeal to all of them to return.
This issue has been ongoing long before seun made any suggestions about having female judges.
Judging from your character so far, efe, even if a pope is used as a judge, you will still find faults.

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by CrazyMan(m): 7:55pm On Nov 17, 2012
Efemena_xy: Excellent suggestion!

Definition of Sexism:

You've opted out of the debate...so please stay out of this thread.

Your gibberish is already becoming irritating...go find something else to do with your time, and leave us to put our house in order.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Seun(m): 7:58pm On Nov 17, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Seun, we have passed that stage.
The organizers & officials comprises of both men and women. Everything is set and we have very good ideas. How do you want us to tell off people that gave up a lot to make this a success. We can consider that suggestion in the next edition.
The issue is not about having a female affair but adults learning to act matured. Thanks
I'm sorry that I didn't come up with this suggestion earlier. If most women are in agreement with this suggestion, I can use my access to the home page to help with the female moderator recruitment effort. We can probably get good female moderators and officials within the next 3 days. It won't be a female contest if you have men involved in any direct capacity. We will hog the spotlight, because that's how we we have been socialized.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Cuddlemii: 8:06pm On Nov 17, 2012
Seun:
I'm sorry that I didn't come up with this suggestion earlier. If most women are in agreement with this suggestion, I can use my access to the home page to help with the female moderator recruitment effort. We can probably get good female moderators and officials within the next 3 days. It won't be a female contest if you have men involved in any direct capacity. We will hog the spotlight, because that's how we we have been socialized.

Seun, a lot has been put into this and it will be unfair to everyone involved. I suggest you organize an all female debate to accommodate all what you have suggested. We have gone far and most of the incentives came from my project team. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by HighChief4(m): 8:17pm On Nov 17, 2012
All this because of one female debater. Nigerians. After all the passion and handwork exhibited by the organizers.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Pharoh: 8:22pm On Nov 17, 2012
I am in support of the debate going ahead with the present composition and no need for any further changes.female only contestants was the idea and not female only judges or organizers. Thank You.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by DonaldGenes(m): 8:23pm On Nov 17, 2012
ItsModella: This is definitely serious, I mean for Cuddles to have created a video. I have to start my research tongue tongue
How can I download the video
am tired of waiting! I go shout for this house oo,small time una go dey fight,next mins una go flex grammatical muscles,abeg if I hear any feisty arguement again ehhhhhhhh
Continues eating my fried rice and salad
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Mynd44: 8:24pm On Nov 17, 2012
Pharoh: I am in support of the debate going ahead with the present composites and no need for ay further changes.female only contestants was the idea and not female only judges or organizers. Thank You.

Seconded
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by coogar: 8:30pm On Nov 17, 2012
this is the most hilarious thread ever.....

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 17, 2012
DonalĂ° Genes:
am tired of waiting! I go shout for this house oo,small time una go dey fight,next mins una go flex grammatical muscles,abeg if I hear any feisty arguement again ehhhhhhhh
Continues eating my fried rice and salad
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by ifyalways(f): 8:34pm On Nov 17, 2012
Wow. . . undecided
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by greatgod2012(f): 8:41pm On Nov 17, 2012
Hhhmmmmm
**sighs**
**yawns**
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Seun(m): 8:41pm On Nov 17, 2012
I can see that all the men are in favour of allowing men to participate in a female contest. That shouldn't count. The decision isn't mine either.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by SisiKill1: 8:43pm On Nov 17, 2012
Thanks Seun but no thanks. . .we want this to be all inclusive. I haven't spoken to Cuddlemi yet but I have no doubt there would be a "unisex" debate in the near future. Considering how quickly guys tend to dismissive of "women's things". . .kicking them out now will be detrimental to future plans.

There were females on the panel of judges when the men debated and it is only proper for there should be men here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by kpolli(m): 8:44pm On Nov 17, 2012
At this 11th hour, I don't think its feasible to change the judges and organisers. . . After working on this debate, I don't think its wise to allow an over grown babies unprofessionalism to spark unrest on what we have strived hard to get so far. . . An innocent joke was misjudged by an illiterate and cos of that the structure should be changed? I don't agree. . . It took us more than a month to gather contestants, how much longer wud it be to get females ready to judge and organize this. . . The panel was sent up for a reason. . . So pls let's not allow a contestant who is already fearing defeat to spoil our plans. . . Good day

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by tirtimy: 8:45pm On Nov 17, 2012
This debate will turn out to be very successful because challenges alway make One to grow and i employ the organizers to go up with the nice topic because I'm an addicted fan of debate. Thanks all, its successful.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Mynd44: 8:46pm On Nov 17, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Thanks Seun but no thanks. . .we want this to be all inclusive. I haven't spoken to Cuddlemi yet but I have no doubt there would be a "unisex" debate in the near future. Considering how quickly guys tend to dismissive of "women's things". . .kicking them out now will be detrimental to future plans.

There were females on the panel of judges when the men debated and it is only proper for there should be men here.
You spoke well. Thanks.

I have no stake in this but I see the effort thru panel has put in and I think it will be unfair to change the rules
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by DonaldGenes(m): 8:50pm On Nov 17, 2012
Seun: I can see that all the men are in favour of allowing men to participate in a female contest. That shouldn't count. The decision isn't mine either.
Seun where have you been jor?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by EfemenaXY: 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2012
kpolli: At this 11th hour, I don't think its feasible to change the judges and organisers. . . After working on this debate, I don't think its wise to allow an over grown babies unprofessionalism to spark unrest on what we have strived hard to get so far. . . An innocent joke was misjudged by an illiterate and cos of that the structure should be changed? I don't agree. . . It took us more than a month to gather contestants, how much longer wud it be to get females ready to judge and organize this. . . The panel was sent up for a reason. . . So pls let's not allow a contestant who is already fearing defeat to spoil our plans. . . Good day

Well then, maybe you should "strive" harder to make sure you don't have "literate" men make sexist jokes here.

I understand it's difficult for the Neanderthals here to understand that some women don't take underhanded rigging, demoralizing and s/e/x.ist "jokes" funny. Shebi it would have been a whole lot better for you if Efe had just shut up and borne it like the typical Nollywood woman? Or you think because you're Nigerian men the Nigerian women don't have a say?

Educate me pls!

Seun: I can see that all the men are in favour of allowing men to participate in a female contest. That shouldn't count. The decision isn't mine either.

Spot on Seun.

A leopard can hardly be blamed for not changing it's spots can it? Same thing with the men shouting foul.

The desire to beat an outspoken lady over the head with a club and drag her into the cave (for you know what), runs deep in their veins.

High_Chief: All this because of one female debater. Nigerians. After all the passion and handwork exhibited by the organizers.

Don't be so short sighted!

Was it this so called female who started the fracas??

Cuddlemii:

You know I refrained from replying you with all the losses you have caused us in this debate but I think you should be told the truth.
You are the architect of all the issues we have been having from day one. We did everything in our power to accommodate your excesses.
You drove all the female debaters away and I went to appeal to all of them to return.
This issue has been ongoing before seun made any suggestions about having female judges.
Judging from your character so far, efe, even if a pope is used as a judge, you will still find faults.

And I love you too angry angry

Pls don't get the pope involved in this.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by SisiKill1: 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Excellent suggestion!

Definition of Sexism:

I'm sorry Efe but I am gonna have to disagree with you on this. . .making this an all female thing IS the definition of sexism. We want to be on the same playing field with the men yet we ask for special treatment and allowances to be made based on our sex?! Who don't want them on the judges panel because they might say something that will hurt our feelings? Nah, that's not gonna work.

I am aware that my stance could be easily dismissed because I didn't get to read what caused this brouhaha but honestly it still won't matter because at the end of day no man's opinion of me defines who I am. . .he can call me an airhead, call me dumb, call me whatever other sexist name men call women. It won't stop me from doing and being whatever it is I want to be.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by HighChief4(m): 8:58pm On Nov 17, 2012
Seun's suggestion is not bad but it is the timing. Those of us that have been following the progression of this debate, know the efforts that was put into it. Seun suggested it during the heat with Efemena which made it even worse, no one will want to change things to suit her.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by EfemenaXY: 8:59pm On Nov 17, 2012
CrazyMan:
You've opted out of the debate...so please stay out of this thread.

Your gibberish is already becoming irritating...go find something else to do with your time, and leave us to put our house in order.

Your opinion man, not that I care much for it anyway.

As long as you guys can't refrain from shouting and dissing my name from the rooftops, I'll respond as I see fit.

I would not be intimidated by the likes of you! angry
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by SisiKill1: 9:00pm On Nov 17, 2012
DonalĂ° Genes:

http://www.zamzar.com/
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by EfemenaXY: 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
I'm sorry Efe but I am gonna have to disagree with you on this. . .making this an all female thing IS the definition of sexism. We want to be on the same playing field with the men yet we ask for special treatment and allowances to be made based on our sex?! Who don't want them on the judges panel because they might say something that will hurt our feelings? Nah, that's not gonna work.

I am aware that my stance could be dismissed because I didn't get to read what caused this brouhaha but honestly it still won't matter because at the end of day no man's opinion of me defines who I am. . .he can call me an airhead, call me dumb, call me whatever other sexist name men call women. It won't stop me from doing and being whatever it is I want to be.

True that.

But would you laugh about it though? Especially if it has the tendency to undermine your efforts?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Roland17(m): 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2012
If no one is courageous enough to address these seeming autocratic tendencies of Seun, i think i would and i care less if am banned.

Seun u have succeed in diffusing the already tensed atmosphere with your comments which many conformist agree with, where were u 3 months ago when this idea was conceived? where were u when this thread was created? where were u when all the females invited turned down cuddles request to be either judges or debaters for varied reasons which are respectable?

You are the owner of the website would u claim u never had an idea about this thread before today? not a single comment from u all through the developing process, cos u never thought this thread/ section can create a buzz/ traffic for your business like some of the silly topics that have graced the front page of NL(Like pictures of 2face's poo etal) now the moderator and the hard working organizers become creative by taking this to you-tube you are suddenly trying to hijack this debate diplomatically.

You are the owner yet you could not even confide with the moderator and her crew before making sensitive comments about the structure and organization of the debates yet you claim its not your decision to make, knowing fully well that 85% of NL are conformists with no minds of their own, speaks loud of your man management skills.

This is not an attempt to insult your personality, but a sincere attempt to set the records straight and encourage the Hardworking crew to continue to give their best.

15 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by greedie1(f): 9:03pm On Nov 17, 2012
with all that is going on here, i hope the debate still remains a debate and not a battle of words, i ain't interested in any battle
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Female Edition - "Battle Of Wits" by Mynd44: 9:04pm On Nov 17, 2012
This is just nuts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

Romantic Story : - My Boss (18+) Episode 1 / Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! / {gandhi Jayanti Kavita} Gandhi Jayanti Kavita, Gandhi Jayanti Poem, Hindi Poems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.