Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,229 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds (10088 Views)

HELP:: How Do I Make This Long Distance Relationship Work! / Men,will You Allow Your Wife Work When You Earn 500k Per Mth? / Can A Relationship Between Two Lovers Work When They Dont Have Alot In Common? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Nov 10, 2012
Miss_3v3: I have been dating my boyfriend for about 2,5years and even till now am not sure if he is the one. He seems very sure about me but sometimes i feel like the real reason apart from the fact that i love him, that i am still with him is he is such a nice guy and am afraid that i may not find a guy like him again.

We have different backgrounds(grew up abroad while he has never left the country, different thoughts( am more "westernized and he is kinda local undecided). Sometimes i feel we are too incompatible like i am the type of woman who believes in a relationship, all should be equal. i don't want a man that thinks it is just a women's place to be in the kitchen just like i don't think it's only a man's job to pay bills or buy everything just because it is a "man's" job.

When i get married i have no problems with sharing cost's equally our bills etc just like when we both come home from work. The least he can do is help out perhaps with dishes etc not expecting him to cook but if he did it once in a while to surprise me then i would not mind kiss. But my bf is more of a women's place is this and a man's place is that. Another potential problem which i just realised could be a problem is am going to be earning way more than him.

I am currently doing my articles towards chartered accountancy and he is currently working in real estate business he got a new job. I am afraid that i may become the boss of the house because if am paying bills and he is not even willing to help me with some of the things at home, i think there will be a problem.

Another issue is we are currently in different countries, we have been having a long distance relationship and i see him during holidays. Now am not sure if i want to relocate and give up everything because i can have more opportunities here then there especially for a man am not sure of.

I don't think he is willing to relocate because all his friends are there and family and job wise he may not get a job here. He seems indecisive about his future as he wants to go back and study and i don't know am very confused. Sometimes i find him childish and not mature enough even though he is 2 years older then me.

Should i hang in there or call it quits?

@Poster, all you have listed here are reasons why you should not go ahead with this relationship. Compatibility is not the issue. No two human beings are even 70% compatible . . . we are all raised in different homes, different environments, with different ideologies and develop different mnindsets for a good reason. Again, no two human beings on this planet are 100% or even 70% compatible. When you see the differences more than you see similarities, it is red flag that you should move on to someone else.
However, two human beings can chose to work to meet each other at some level, and it seems you have made up your mind already that it is not going to work with this guy so why are you wasting your time, and ours?

1 Like

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 10, 2012
esere826: @OP

Do urself a big favour
When folks advice you on Naraland, and it gets u thinking
simply check their profiles pages on NL to weigh their level of intelligence or stewpidity

Then u know the best companies to keep wink

*But that rat infested fella 'solid whatever' should not have used that word 'ode'*
*Well let him pass, do not go down that pit* grin
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2012
esere826: @OP

Do urself a big favour
When folks advice you on Naraland, and it gets u thinking
simply check their profiles pages on NL to weigh their level of intelligence or stewpidity

Then u know the best companies to keep wink

*But that rat infested fella 'solid whatever' should not have used that word 'ode'*
*Well let him pass, do not go down that pit* grin
Go dip ur head inside Mith Romney's a*s, I don't give a sh*t
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by adaemetu(f): 9:40pm On Nov 10, 2012
IMHO, I think you should break up with him. He is not the only nice guy. It's obvious both of you are not compatible
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by DExplorer1: 9:46pm On Nov 10, 2012
The OP is selfish!

2 Likes

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 10, 2012
After 2.5 years of courtship and you are still searching for common grounds. Doesn't look too good to me.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by sandrahot(f): 10:40pm On Nov 10, 2012
This happens a lot it seems. I have a lot of my friends who live in the US who seem to look down on their men a lot. angry Why did it take you 2.5 years to figure out he was not your type that you go for initially? Haven't you been wasting your time? I suggest you break it up quickly so you can find your type of man & allow him find a woman who thinks the world of him. As a woman,I have found it is important to look up to your man. If you don't, find someone else, at least there are lots of men in the US/West
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:41pm On Nov 10, 2012
U are trying to create a problem where there is none maybe u secretly believe there is someone “better“ out there......babe don't do anyting u will regret..ur relationship is owk
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Anavami28: 10:46pm On Nov 10, 2012
No, it cannot work
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by tpia1: 10:51pm On Nov 10, 2012
cant make head or tail of the original post. . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by DExplorer1: 11:15pm On Nov 10, 2012
The OP is an embodiment of egoistical species.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by CHIMSKY(m): 11:24pm On Nov 10, 2012
Good talk!U just dey form like say u be Angel.Please do not mess with this guy"s head by leading him on.It is obvious that you are used to a higher class of guy.If u don't appreciate him,some other "local" girl will.Carry ur wahalav dey go!!! v
alexsamjnr: Rubbish. If you don't want him.......pls let him go
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Mckybarf(m): 11:39pm On Nov 10, 2012
Miss_3v3: I have been dating my boyfriend for about 2,5years and even till now am not sure if he is the one. He seems very sure about me but sometimes i feel like the real reason apart from the fact that i love him, that i am still with him is he is such a nice guy and am afraid that i may not find a guy like him again.

We have different backgrounds(grew up abroad while he has never left the country, different thoughts( am more "westernized and he is kinda local undecided). Sometimes i feel we are too incompatible like i am the type of woman who believes in a relationship, all should be equal. i don't want a man that thinks it is just a women's place to be in the kitchen just like i don't think it's only a man's job to pay bills or buy everything just because it is a "man's" job.

When i get married i have no problems with sharing cost's equally our bills etc just like when we both come home from work. The least he can do is help out perhaps with dishes etc not expecting him to cook but if he did it once in a while to surprise me then i would not mind kiss. But my bf is more of a women's place is this and a man's place is that. Another potential problem which i just realised could be a problem is am going to be earning way more than him.

I am currently doing my articles towards chartered accountancy and he is currently working in real estate business he got a new job. I am afraid that i may become the boss of the house because if am paying bills and he is not even willing to help me with some of the things at home, i think there will be a problem.

Another issue is we are currently in different countries, we have been having a long distance relationship and i see him during holidays. Now am not sure if i want to relocate and give up everything because i can have more opportunities here then there especially for a man am not sure of.

I don't think he is willing to relocate because all his friends are there and family and job wise he may not get a job here. He seems indecisive about his future as he wants to go back and study and i don't know am very confused. Sometimes i find him childish and not mature enough even though he is 2 years older then me.

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by CHIMSKY(m): 11:39pm On Nov 10, 2012
10 years down the line ,"picky","big girls" like you will be back here on Nairaland disturbing everybody with the fact that you are still single and lamenting how unfair life has been to you.

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Mckybarf(m): 11:39pm On Nov 10, 2012

i dont think the problem with you two has anything to do with background: its about how much you both are willing to sacrifice in order to make your relationship work. You are completely different people and until you both are willing to compromise a little for each other, it will be difficult to exist as a couple.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Theblessed(f): 11:50pm On Nov 10, 2012
[size=16pt]It is possible.

It can work if both of your truly love each other and are prepared to put-in 110% effort to make it work and that calls for tolerance of each others chronic pitfalls as well as ignoring insinuations and gossips of the in-laws and friends.

Focus on your happiness together - that way you will win.
[/size]
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by iv4real(f): 12:10am On Nov 11, 2012
Just because someone does not see things the way you do, does not make dem local. This thought is very common with women abroad, he is not exposed, he is local.You should learn how to be open minded and be open to other peoples views. I am very sure someone like you will talk down at d guy or frown at anything he says because to you, you are very western and exposed.Is d guy lazy? What makes you think he won't make more money than you someday. My dear come down from your high horse and start thinking straight.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by damola1: 12:18am On Nov 11, 2012
when a girl start using words like '9ice '... oh boy na voice mail be dat... a man is a man.. which one come be he's 9ice... u never see tony's payne be dat...
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Angel778(f): 2:29am On Nov 11, 2012
tpia1: cant make head or tail of the original post. . . . . .
thnk d OP has a superiority complex. Thnk she shld let go of d poor guy, so dat he can find 'A TRUE LOVE'.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by kemifemi: 5:13am On Nov 11, 2012
My cousin married a guy who had just OND.It took about 9 months for her parents to accept the guy.
She's a financial analyst, has a masters in finance and works in a very good place.
But she knew d dude was smart and intelligent but didn't have funds to continue his education.
Thankfully, he got a Job with his OND and got promoted cos he just completed his degree.
Everyman has a potential to be great if he's not the lazy type. You can help refine him. That's why some men don't joke with their wives cos they stood by them all the way.
Background is not the issue, living abroad is also a flimsy excuse cos I got friends who are abroad and still married their boyfriends "who have never been out of Nigeria".What I think is, you don't love him as much as you claim, so just let him go. You see him as an option you can fall back on
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by malontee(m): 5:16am On Nov 11, 2012
iv4real: Just because someone does not see things the way you do, does not make dem local. This thought is very common with women abroad, he is not exposed, he is local.You should learn how to be open minded and be open to other peoples views. I am very sure someone like you will talk down at d guy or frown at anything he says because to you, you are very western and exposed.Is d guy lazy? What makes you think he won't make more money than you someday. My dear come down from your high horse and start thinking straight.
. 110 likes
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by postemail: 6:03am On Nov 11, 2012
I'm beginning to realize the obvious -too many kids on NL. The young lady poured her heart out, seeking an advice from you guys. But some folks here are already labeling her egocentric, etc. she said it as it is for her. If you think she's the problem, then advice her. How would feel airing your thoughts, only to get comments like shut the f*ck, sh*t, egocentric blah blah blah?
It's haughty!
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 11, 2012
Miss_3v3:

Thank you for the response. Yes you are very right. We have had many talks and infact i have compromised so much. Truth is my bf is not the type of guy i usually go for but i gave it a try because he was such a nice guy etc. I plan to talk to him face to face when i go and see him for the holidays and if we are still not on par then i guess it may be best to break up. Its really is hard because we do love each other but i believe it is not just about love but other things example compatibility as that is someone i will be with for the rest of my life so we need to be on same level
You have already taken your stand u don't need him anymore because you have now gotten rich go ahead God can not create who he cannot catch pompous and arrogant thing
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Freezle(m): 8:09am On Nov 11, 2012
Hi friend,
Really nice for you to express what you going through, I want to tell you to take your time in analyzing your relationship, because you don't know tomorrow.... He might chance his mind toward relocating and for me since his loves for you is authentic and you reciprocate that's all for know. Just keep it in prayers and all would work out. All the best my dear friend.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by mbourie(m): 10:06am On Nov 11, 2012
From my on own point of view-u dont wish dis guy u called ur "bf" well,are you God? Your premonition about this guy's destiny is too bad. The fact that God has shown you mercy does not mean things might not go wrong 4u 2morrow-i dnt wish u jinx-but I hope u are aware the author who wrote d book titled:"rich dad, poor dad" is undergoing some financial meltdown. My advise 4u-Mind3v3,please leave d meek,sincere,whizzkid guy alone,because if u get married to him, you will make him look inferior subconsciously. There is a quotable quote dat goes like this, "a woman who equates himself with a man, has no ambition," u did not even equate urself with dis guy, u placed urself above this guy-my dear, you are not God!
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nnekacherry: 10:40am On Nov 11, 2012
Well i think you should free that guy..
You are only with him because he is a 'nice' guy, not particularly because you love him.. A relationship built on pity will never work no matter how much you try..

1 Like

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by ewizard1: 11:32am On Nov 11, 2012
Branding of T-shirts/Gift items for Organization use,Events,Product promo, etc
Contact 08090989821, khalsconnect@gmail.com
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 11, 2012
D-Explorer:
The OP is an embodiment of egoistical species.
Wow i don't understand why some people feel the need to insult me. How can you say am egoistical when you don't even know me. I don't think am better than anybody else and i don't think i am better than my boyfriend. firstly when i said my bf is not the type of guy i usually am attracted too. my bf is very skinny and i looked past it because i did not want to miss out on a good guy because of that so if you usually prefer skinny girls will that make you egoistical. To be honest i met my boyfriend and at that time i honestly was not looking for a boyfriend and he was very persistent and he "played" the christian card and that is the main reason i gave him a chance. We got to know each other better and the more i got to know him i liked him and even though it is a long distance relationship i still gave it my all. I am not going to go into all the nitty gritty stuff but something happened which kinda made me not trust him completely. Secondly i don't have much dating experience so i guess that's why i wanted to find out if maybe it's just the way i am or my concerns are really genuine. I am a type of girl who does not take nonsence and i guess some people call me tough and am straightforward. Anyways the reason i said he is local is because he kind of does stuff in public that is kind of embarrassing and people stare so if that makes me a bitch or egoistical then i dunno. I have never been rude to him, have never asked him for money and am not materialistic. The reason why i said he may not get a job easily where i am is the fact that he is a foreigner and unfortunately it will not be easy for him to get a job as also his profession is that in demand. I would get more exposure and experience here then going straight to go and work back home. He does not really want to come abroad so i feel like it should be a two way stream. He should be willing to sacrifice as much as me. A big reason i would prefer for him to move here is because of the extended family drama honestly i have had enough from my own family side and all his family live in same area and there is also always drama and i kind of want to a peaceful place to stay. that the money could be an issue is because a women does not want to feel undervalued. My bf told me he does not want a housewife and he is glad that i have a career etc and obviously we will both contribute towards the household. however he has old school mindset that women belong in kitchen and this and that while men are this and that. but i feel like he would have to help around as am also working but now that is just one of our differences in opinion. Now i will be earning more than him so will probably be contributing more (sorry but it's a fact due to my career) and he won't help me at home, this would be a problem. Thannks to all the nice and helpful replies. I am new to this site so i did not know a topic like this was already on so sorry for the repetition.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
mbourie: From my on own point of view-u dont wish dis guy u called ur "bf" well,are you God? Your premonition about this guy's destiny is too bad. The fact that God has shown you mercy does not mean things might not go wrong 4u 2morrow-i dnt wish u jinx-but I hope u are aware the author who wrote d book titled:"rich dad, poor dad" is undergoing some financial meltdown. My advise 4u-Mind3v3,please leave d meek,sincere,whizzkid guy alone,because if u get married to him, you will make him look inferior subconsciously. There is a quotable quote dat goes like this, "a woman who equates himself with a man, has no ambition," u did not even equate urself with dis guy, u placed urself above this guy-my dear, you are not God!

I know i am not God. if i felt that way i would never have even dated him because from beginning i knew what he did etc and i am not a materialistic person so i dont need a "rich man" or whatever you are insinuating. All i went is someone who is a Christian like me, someone honest, faithful and open-minded. I don't want a village minded person who see's only black or blue so please try not to "judge" as only God can judge. Unfortunately am trying to think of the bigger picture what our difference in opinon could result
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2012
Freezle: Hi friend,
Really nice for you to express what you going through, I want to tell you to take your time in analyzing your relationship, because you don't know tomorrow.... He might chance his mind toward relocating and for me since his loves for you is authentic and you reciprocate that's all for know. Just keep it in prayers and all would work out. All the best my dear friend.
Thank you so much, wish more people were like you grin
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 11, 2012
iv4real: Just because someone does not see things the way you do, does not make dem local. This thought is very common with women abroad, he is not exposed, he is local.You should learn how to be open minded and be open to other peoples views. I am very sure someone like you will talk down at d guy or frown at anything he says because to you, you are very western and exposed.Is d guy lazy? What makes you think he won't make more money than you someday. My dear come down from your high horse and start thinking straight.
You are very sure? Hun, you don't know me and i have never looked down or him or anyone or have been rude. i did not say he was stupid or has no sence. He is an intelligent young man and hardworking and i"m sure he has a bright future ahead of him. When i mentioned income is due to career. IF you are a nursery school teacher and i say doctors earn more does it mean i am not thinking straight? Please really instead of falsely accusing me of rubbish(no offence). Why don't you come down from your high horses and realise that a lady was just asking about what viewpoints such as for example i don't think a man should do everything(finally) just like a women has more to her than just the kitchen. if it was just about money then i would not have even dated him to begin with but am not shallow
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
post.email:
I'm beginning to realize the obvious -too many kids on NL. The young lady poured her heart out, seeking an advice from you guys. But some folks here are already labeling her egocentric, etc. she said it as it is for her. If you think she's the problem, then advice her. How would feel airing your thoughts, only to get comments like shut the f*ck, sh*t, egocentric blah blah blah?
It's haughty!
Thanks so much. I was expecting good and bad but to insult someone just because you are sitting behind a computer, now that speaks volumes about people's character. Can't people bring their opinions across without insulting others smh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Myra Hills,the Woman With The Largest Fake Boobs / 10 Reasons Why Introverts Are So Good At Sex / If I Tell You Im A Virgin, We Get Married And You Find Out I Lied.reactions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.