Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,888 members, 7,828,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds (10101 Views)

HELP:: How Do I Make This Long Distance Relationship Work! / Men,will You Allow Your Wife Work When You Earn 500k Per Mth? / Can A Relationship Between Two Lovers Work When They Dont Have Alot In Common? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 11, 2012
lekibraky:
You have already taken your stand u don't need him anymore because you have now gotten rich go ahead God can not create who he cannot catch pompous and arrogant thing
I don't know. Maybe i phrased my opinion wrong because alot of people are seeing this money money thing. Wow i was with him from begining the way i was and the way he was. I did not suddenly get rich nor did he suddenly got poor. I never even said he was poor. The main concerns i had was answered by the people who understood what i was trying to say but thank you. You are a very good example of the kind of guys that i thank God my bf is not. Try not to be so bitter in life. life is too short
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2012
misreal: De best tin to do is to go To God in prayer nd de reason why u r confused is because u av choosed to trust in human intelligence.remember any relationship dat was nt planted ny God must crumble.

Thanks this is by far the best answer. I know we are so quick to seek human advise/intelligence yet God is the one who will be able to settle my confusion. Thank you so much smiley
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Just take it easy when you guys talk, talk to him with love, don't give him ultimatums ok?

Good luck.
Thanks will do smiley
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 11, 2012
esere826: He's a great guy. Yeah
Hurt it will, but you might need to let go of this guy

The reason is simply that you both don't seem to share similar or complimentary goals
That is one of the resons u might be finding it hard to commit to him

Stylishly ask him to share a vivid picture of both of you in 2, 5, 10 or 30 years time
and see if you can relate with the picture he shares

Very true will keep that in mind. thanks smiley
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by totalbaby(f): 5:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
IF HE IS NIGERIAN THEN DUMP HIM, HE IS PROBABLY CHEATING ON YOU. NIGERIAN MEN ARE USELESS AND STUPID. OLD VILLAGE MENTALITY. IT'S BETTER YOU GET A WHITE. THEY DO NOT MIND DOING WORK AND HELPING THEIR WIFE'S AND SPOUSES AT HOME. AM SOWI BUT I CANNOT DATE SOMEONE WHO IS NOT ON MY LEVEL. I WANT A REAL MAN AT HOME, DON'T WANT TO BE THE MAN. OYA, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR. GO AND GET YOURS grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by totalbaby(f): 5:20pm On Nov 11, 2012
solidbroda: The fact is, same background or not, challenges will always come. That's not an issue and I think you are being egocentric. if he is ambitious, I'm sure he will travel out one day. Even, dstv and social medias have all made it unnecessary to travel and see what's happening around u. You can see everything all over the world in your room.
What I think is wrong with you is that you have many offers from guys which you probably think they are nice too. (I won't be surprised if u cheating doh). And you might be making comparison between ur guy and those guys. You are only trying to give urself an excuse to break up and fill relieved. What should The Prince of England say, who got married to Kate, from a non royal family? If you truly love him, you won't be saying all this sh*ts
LOOK AT THIS MUMU PIG. KATE MAY NOT BE ROYAL BUT SHE HAS THE CLASS. WHY DON'T YOU COMPARE A LOCAL HOUSEMAID AND A DOCTOR? WOULD THEY BE COMPATIBLE IN THINKING, ETC. WOW AM SURE YOU ARE LIKE THE MUMU(LOCAL FOOL) SHE IS TALKING ABOUT.

1 Like

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by totalbaby(f): 6:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
Miss_3v3: I have been dating my boyfriend for about 2,5years and even till now am not sure if he is the one. He seems very sure about me but sometimes i feel like the real reason apart from the fact that i love him, that i am still with him is he is such a nice guy and am afraid that i may not find a guy like him again.

We have different backgrounds(grew up abroad while he has never left the country, different thoughts( am more "westernized and he is kinda local undecided). Sometimes i feel we are too incompatible like i am the type of woman who believes in a relationship, all should be equal. i don't want a man that thinks it is just a women's place to be in the kitchen just like i don't think it's only a man's job to pay bills or buy everything just because it is a "man's" job.

When i get married i have no problems with sharing cost's equally our bills etc just like when we both come home from work. The least he can do is help out perhaps with dishes etc not expecting him to cook but if he did it once in a while to surprise me then i would not mind kiss. But my bf is more of a women's place is this and a man's place is that. Another potential problem which i just realised could be a problem is am going to be earning way more than him.

Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop[/color] dnt be a fool[color=#000000]

I am currently doing my articles towards chartered accountancy and he is currently working in real estate business he got a new job. I am afraid that i may become the boss of the house because if am paying bills and he is not even willing to help me with some of the things at home, i think there will be a problem.

Another issue is we are currently in different countries, we have been having a long distance relationship and i see him during holidays. Now am not sure if i want to relocate and give up everything because i can have more opportunities here then there especially for a man am not sure of.

I don't think he is willing to relocate because all his friends are there and family and job wise he may not get a job here. He seems indecisive about his future as he wants to go back and study and i don't know am very confused. Sometimes i find him childish and not mature enough even though he is 2 years older then me.

Should i hang in there or call it quits?
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
totalbaby:
LOOK AT THIS MUMU PIG. KATE MAY NOT BE ROYAL BUT SHE HAS THE CLASS. WHY DON'T YOU COMPARE A LOCAL HOUSEMAID AND A DOCTOR? WOULD THEY BE COMPATIBLE IN THINKING, ETC. WOW AM SURE YOU ARE LIKE THE MUMU(LOCAL FOOL) SHE IS TALKING ABOUT.
seriously boi, since there is no one in your family who has passed primary school (primary 6), arguing with u is a mere waste of time. I would suggest you commit suicide if you don't like whatever I wrote
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 2:53am On Nov 12, 2012
post.email:
I'm beginning to realize the obvious -too many kids on NL. The young lady poured her heart out, seeking an advice from you guys. But some folks here are already labeling her egocentric, etc. she said it as it is for her. If you think she's the problem, then advice her. How would feel airing your thoughts, only to get comments like shut the f*ck, sh*t, egocentric blah blah blah?
It's haughty!

So u are the one that's not sounding insulting here right.... Do u know the meaning SH*T u labeled the previous posters?? What will u class the type of woman like the poster?? Nice,loving,kind,nice or what?? They both have the same problem of not compromising. Both are evils but one is a lesser evil. The gal is just too high class and that will fall her flat if care is not taken.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 3:10am On Nov 12, 2012
I'm not judging you and I'm not perfect enough to do so. Look u have the greater chance of making it down here if u can come down so if u really want to make things work and if u think your marital life will mean anything to you then u need to level up with the guy to make things works out. Most of goals oriented women don't really make a happy only very few who can make the balance between their goals and family goals beat the task. U sounds a lot older than i but I'm speaking from my own perspective i once have the opportunity to travel but because i just met my girlfriend i decided to stay back and sacrifice the stay for us to grow with me having the positive outcome of things and thank God we've been in relationship for more than 2 years. Just be supportive to him and before u know it your goals will be accomplish and he will be happy with and u will also have a wonderful marital life but if keep looking down on him well you might achieve your career goals but my sister the marital goals will be a lost tale left untold. U know what i mean . I wish u luck
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by Nobody: 3:14am On Nov 12, 2012
totalbaby: IF HE IS NIGERIAN THEN DUMP HIM, HE IS PROBABLY CHEATING ON YOU. NIGERIAN MEN ARE USELESS AND STUPID. OLD VILLAGE MENTALITY. IT'S BETTER YOU GET A WHITE. THEY DO NOT MIND DOING WORK AND HELPING THEIR WIFE'S AND SPOUSES AT HOME. AM SOWI BUT I CANNOT DATE SOMEONE WHO IS NOT ON MY LEVEL. I WANT A REAL MAN AT HOME, DON'T WANT TO BE THE MAN. OYA, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR. GO AND GET YOURS grin

Lol u are confused
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by True2myself24(f): 5:35am On Nov 12, 2012
vivian chinaza: Ok. The issue here is not your different background.....rather both of you are very uncompromising. Have a heart to heart chat with him, both of you should find a common ground.........if you can't compromise in a relationship.....I'm sorry you are wasting your time.

I totally agree. A relationship can only last if you both give a little (or a lot) to gain more of each other. You both need to be willing to make compromises on certain issues because you're not going to agree on everything all the time. So the question is, is he worth the compromise to you. How much would you sacrifice to be with him? Would you sacrifice anything at all?

1 Like

Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by 5much(m): 6:00am On Nov 12, 2012
The fact is, same background or not, challenges will always come. That's not an issue and I think you are being egocentric. if he is ambitious, I'm sure he will travel out one day. Even, dstv and social medias have all made it unnecessary to travel and see what's happening around u. You can see everything all over the world in your room.
What I think is wrong with you is that you have many offers from guys which you probably think they are nice too. (I won't be surprised if u cheating doh). And you might be making comparison between ur guy and those guys. You are only trying to give urself an excuse to break up and fill relieved. What should The Prince of England say, who got married to Kate, from a non royal family? If you truly love him, you won't be saying all this sh*ts

u'r on point
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by ideee03(f): 7:43am On Nov 12, 2012
solidbroda: yea, far from it bro. I don't wanna be on your Village radar. Not now, and won't be anytime soon
ghen ghen...
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by DExplorer1: 10:34am On Nov 12, 2012
Miss_3v3: Wow i don't understand why some people feel the need to insult me. How can you say am egoistical when you don't even know me. I don't think am better than anybody else and i don't think i am better than my boyfriend. firstly when i said my bf is not the type of guy i usually am attracted too. my bf is very skinny and i looked past it because i did not want to miss out on a good guy because of that so if you usually prefer skinny girls will that make you egoistical. To be honest i met my boyfriend and at that time i honestly was not looking for a boyfriend and he was very persistent and he "played" the christian card and that is the main reason i gave him a chance. We got to know each other better and the more i got to know him i liked him and even though it is a long distance relationship i still gave it my all. I am not going to go into all the nitty gritty stuff but something happened which kinda made me not trust him completely. Secondly i don't have much dating experience so i guess that's why i wanted to find out if maybe it's just the way i am or my concerns are really genuine. I am a type of girl who does not take nonsence and i guess some people call me tough and am straightforward. Anyways the reason i said he is local is because he kind of does stuff in public that is kind of embarrassing and people stare so if that makes me a bitch or egoistical then i dunno. I have never been rude to him, have never asked him for money and am not materialistic. The reason why i said he may not get a job easily where i am is the fact that he is a foreigner and unfortunately it will not be easy for him to get a job as also his profession is that in demand. I would get more exposure and experience here then going straight to go and work back home. He does not really want to come abroad so i feel like it should be a two way stream. He should be willing to sacrifice as much as me. A big reason i would prefer for him to move here is because of the extended family drama honestly i have had enough from my own family side and all his family live in same area and there is also always drama and i kind of want to a peaceful place to stay. that the money could be an issue is because a women does not want to feel undervalued. My bf told me he does not want a housewife and he is glad that i have a career etc and obviously we will both contribute towards the household. however he has old school mindset that women belong in kitchen and this and that while men are this and that. but i feel like he would have to help around as am also working but now that is just one of our differences in opinion. Now i will be earning more than him so will probably be contributing more (sorry but it's a fact due to my career) and he won't help me at home, this would be a problem. Thannks to all the nice and helpful replies. I am new to this site so i did not know a topic like this was already on so sorry for the repetition.
Dear young woman, your first post was addressed duly. In as much as i understand your drift, i think you've a "standard" you don't wanna lose. It's obvious from all your listings in a man and a home, he's not qualified except been "nice". Permit me to say you both are not compatible in every measure. Haven said that, to put you two on the same page, you have to talk him into doing many things and as well loosen some of your "self-expectations" on him and a home. Let me make this clear, the more you exalt your kind/type of a man and a home, the more you see reasons to complain about him. Note that we all don't always have what we want. You just might win him over on the long run and if you can't "manage" all along, you'd better look around.
Re: Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds by totalbaby(f): 9:01pm On Nov 12, 2012
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmtttttttttttttttttccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww undecided
5much: The fact is, same background or not, challenges will always come. That's not an issue and I think you are being egocentric. if he is ambitious, I'm sure he will travel out one day. Even, dstv and social medias have all made it unnecessary to travel and see what's happening around u. You can see everything all over the world in your room.

u'r on point

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guys Friendzoned In Most Hilarious Way!!! +pics / 11 Funny Things You Can Do To Solve Premature Ejaculati0n(Don't Laugh Oooo)(Pix) / 10 Reasons Why Introverts Are So Good At Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.