Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,385 members, 7,812,135 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? (26098 Views)

Why Are Ladies Uncovering Their Heads In Church Nowadays / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan / Why Do Pentecostal Pastors Prefer Expensive things (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 6:28pm On Jan 13, 2013
Bidam:

God is coming out of the boxes we have placed Him in and doing what He wants to do - God is God and we're not!
God will choose to offend our minds in order to reveal what is in our hearts.

Manifestations:

1. Falling on the floor - (being slain in the Spirit)- Resting in the presence of God. Something tremendously important is being done within you (deep inner healing, preparation for ministry, physical healing, receiving of visions, feeling the love of God. )

2. Laughter - The medical profession has discovered health and wholeness comes through laughter. Healing can come through laughter.

3. Shaking ( head, hands, feet, and body ) - Sign of a much deeper happening. Not just the body is shaking, but there is a Prophetic shaking. This is often a type of intercessory prayer. People who shake are often used Prophetically. God will shake the status quo and our agendas, plans, complacency, and the theology that says God only works "this way." Everything built on sand will be shaken.

4. Deep bowing - The Jewish people who worship at the wailing wall do so with deep bowing. This manifestation is usually seen in intercessors.

I can't comprehend this my brother. I'm sorry. You need to talk in scriptures - that's the only language I understand. I don't want to start analyzing your statement one after the other. Talk scriptures please. God cannot contradict His word. When you say things outside scripture, I don't have obligation to respond to you.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Pangea: 6:30pm On Jan 13, 2013
Goshen360:

First, I have placed your own words side by side. You appear to know what you're saying but messed it up in between. Now, if prayer is communicating WITH THE SPIRITUAL, how then does it became PHYSICAL....by shaking of one's head VIGOROUSLY? How do you interpret physically shaking of one's head to SPIRITUAL communication? Please explain yourself.

See, this is the problem with religion - it imports extra-biblical meaning into the text. Now, you are the one saying such prayers are not ordinary and it MUST HAVE BEEN PHYSICAL. Why the heck did you get that from scriptures? You mean Jesus had to engage in PHYSICAL exercise (such as shaking his head vigorously) to communicate to the spiritual in order for his sweat to be described 'like' blood? And since these people had been shaking their heads like lizard, why hasn't their sweat be described 'like' blood?

And Elijah has become examples for Christains Paul said, follow me as I follow Christ - following my (Paul's) examples is as though following Christ's example. We do not have such thing as Christ shaking his head vigorously and such shouldn't be Christian examples.

Again, this is your own assumption sir. There are people (Christians) all over the world that does great things for/with God by praying WITHOUT SHAKING THEIR HEADS.

What are you on about?
Normally I don't respond to people that believe that they are the master of all things scriptural, I allowed them to stew in their ignorance!
But in this case I will make an exception for the benefit of the simple minded folks here in this place who are impressionable.

Like I said previously, Prayer is communication with the spiritual, and you asked how you can do that by getting physical? The question you asked actually betrayed your ignorance if you are a christian, I will answer it too by asking you these questions:
Do you pray at all?
If you do, how do you do it?
Do you turn yourself to a ghost to do it, or you do it with your physical mouth?

You mentioned the issue of Jesus sweat as thick as blood, and you made allusion to it, my friend don't say what you dont know, the word of God with the help of the Holy spirit brings illumination, I'm amazed you don't know these! The scripture is filled with truths that will astound you if you allow the Holy spirit to minister to you. The bible says in 2 Corinthians 3:6 “who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life"
And concerning Elijah, are you now saying he is not relevant in the matter under discussion?
Smh
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 13, 2013
Goshen360:

I know very well you are vast in SPIRITUAL WARFARE. How did I know that? From many of your post. Now, when scripture says we 'wrestle' does it says it is PHYSICAL? and does it say your legs are inlvolved Where the heck did you get that imported into scriptures Sometimes you say things that I begin to question 'some' things about you. How do you fight a SPIRITUAL warfare with LEGS, HEAD, HANDS AND EVERY PART OF YOUR BODY MUST FIGHT. Okay, now lemme take you into the Spiritual warfare stuff - when you engage in warfare which the Bible says its SPIRITUAL, meaning the forces you fight against are NOT SEEN by the natural eyes and yet, it is called SPIRITUAL warfare, then it follows that it is with your spirit that you engage in such warfare. Why? Because the deep calls unto the deep. In that case, you walk in the Spirit and by faith (SPIRITUAL FORCE) and NOT by sight (PHYSICAL SENSES).

A Shepherd is first a sheep before he becomes a Shepherd; that way he understands the Sheep and their actions. When I was a young Christian, I attended a church where in prayer warrior, we do such things as shaking heads. When I began to look into the mirror of the word, I realized it has nothing to do with the Spiritual warfare, it's just a religious sentiments. Well, I'm not saying people shouldn't shake their head when they pray but does it align with scriptures and it is make it a right prayer practices? They can shake their heads for all I care, it's not my head, it's theirs. Don't just make a case for it proving that is the right thing to do.

Manifestations of God's Power

When observing, ask yourself:

1. Is Jesus being lifted up?
2. Are the Scriptures being elevated as the truth and pure Word of God?
3. Is the Spirit manifested bringing truth and greater Spiritual values?
4. Is the Spirit manifested destructive to satan and his kingdom?
5. Is the Spirit manifested leading people to love God and each other more?

God is coming out of the boxes we have placed Him in and doing what He wants to do - God is God and we're not!

Manifestations:

1. Falling on the floor - (being slain in the Spirit)- Resting in the presence of God. Something tremendously important is being done within you (deep inner healing, preparation for ministry, physical healing, receiving of visions, feeling the love of God. )

2. Laughter - The medical profession has discovered health and wholeness comes through laughter. Healing can come through laughter.

3. Shaking ( head, hands, feet, and body ) - Sign of a much deeper happening. Not just the body is shaking, but there is a Prophetic shaking. This is often a type of intercessory prayer. People who shake are often used Prophetically. God will shake the status quo and our agendas, plans, complacency, and the theology that says God only works "this way." Everything built on sand will be shaken.

4. Deep bowing - The Jewish people who worship at the wailing wall do so with deep bowing. This manifestation is usually seen in intercessors.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by sammyrollo: 6:45pm On Jan 13, 2013
KINGwax: since i biliv d OP: zidik, is a muslim, then the answer u seek lies in the same reasons all muslims knock their head on the floor in form on bowin. No wonder they loose their senses and become realistic brain-shaken terrorists.
Chei....zidik in hot soup...
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 6:54pm On Jan 13, 2013
Pangea:

What are you on about?
Normally I don't respond to people that believe that they are the master of all things scriptural, I allowed them to stew in their ignorance!
But in this case I will make an exception for the benefit of the simple minded folks here in this place who are impressionable.

Calm down and discuss scripturally, maturely and like a Christian. Nobody is master of all except Christ and the complete word of God we have with us now. Let's get into the word.

Pangea:

Like I said previously, Prayer is communication with the spiritual, and you asked how you can do that by getting physical? The question you asked actually betrayed your ignorance if you are a christian, I will answer it too by asking you these questions:
Do you pray at all?
If you do, how do you do it?
Do you turn yourself to a ghost to do it, or you do it with your physical mouth?

Okay, I asked a question and you asked me question in return. That's okay by me even though you didn't answer. Don't get too emotional now, okay.

Do you pray at all? - Yes, I do pray.

If you do, how do you do it? - I do by talking to God, with my heart and with my mouth. That's being physical right? Yes, shaking my head to get answers? NO

Do you turn yourself to a ghost to do it, or you do it with your physical mouth? - Answered in (2) above....and you read my answers doesn't include SHAKING MY HEAD because it doesn't speed up my answers to prayers.

Pangea:

You mentioned the issue of Jesus sweat as thick as blood, and you made allusion to it, my friend don't say what you dont know, the word of God with the help of the Holy spirit brings illumination, I'm amazed you don't know these! The scripture is filled with truths that will astound you if you allow the Holy spirit to minister to you. The bible says in 2 Corinthians 3:6 “who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life"

Thank God you desire to talk scripture and not just talking scripture; you want to the Spirit and life realm of the word for the letter kills but the Spirit gives life. I'm happy with this part.

Pangea:

And concerning Elijah, are you now saying he is not relevant in the matter under discussion?
Smh

You see why I laugh at people like you. You should have understood that during the time of Elijah, the revelation of God's word was IN PARTS or PIECES. The complete REVELATION is in CHRIST. Elijah called fire, NOT Spiritual fire now we talking about o, but physical fire. The fire was visible according to scriptures not spiritual fire. Does the NT tells you to call fire on people physically today and the NT has a scriptural way to bring FIRE ON YOUR ENEMIES.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Pangea: 6:54pm On Jan 13, 2013
Bidam:

Manifestations:

And may I add, concerning the shaking of hands, legs and head.
We are tripartite being i.e we are physical beings having spirit and soul in the inside,
The spiritual warfare is done with our physical body, I.e ur mouth etc
Actively involved is the soul and the spirit, as your breaking bondages with your hands in prayers, the soul and the spirit is doing same, since its the soul most of the time that is in bondage, it can break itself free!
Herein lies the principle of violent prayers.
I rest my case!
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Pangea: 7:05pm On Jan 13, 2013
Goshen360:

Calm down and discuss scripturally, maturely and like a Christian. Nobody is master of all except Christ and the complete word of God we have with us now. Let's get into the word.

Okay, I asked a question and you asked me question in return. That's okay by me even though you didn't answer. Don't get too emotional now, okay.

Do you pray at all? - Yes, I do pray.

If you do, how do you do it? - I do by talking to God, with my heart and with my mouth. That's being physical right? Yes, shaking my head to get answers? NO

Do you turn yourself to a ghost to do it, or you do it with your physical mouth? - Answered in (2) above....and you read my answers doesn't include SHAKING MY HEAD because it doesn't speed up my answers to prayers.

Thank God you desire to talk scripture and not just talking scripture; you want to the Spirit and life realm of the word for the letter kills but the Spirit gives life. I'm happy with this part.

You see why I laugh at people like you. You should have understood that during the time of Elijah, the revelation of God's word was IN PARTS or PIECES. The complete REVELATION is in CHRIST. Elijah called fire, NOT Spiritual fire now we talking about o, but physical fire. The fire was visible according to scriptures not spiritual fire. Does the NT tells you to call fire on people physically today and the NT has a scriptural way to bring FIRE ON YOUR ENEMIES.
Alright you pray, good,
May I correct you that prayer is not talking to God alone?
Prayer can be vertical, like you mentioned, that is talking to God, you can do that within your
heart, without your lips moving, etc
Prayer can also be horizontal, that is prayers of spiritual warfare, that can't be done quietly!
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by reckwan: 7:18pm On Jan 13, 2013
Mandesz: I dont know wy u muslims will just want 2 compare ur ways of worshipin wit dat of d xtains. But u said u ar all ordinary slaves to God! Imagine a slave want 2 compare himsef 2 d king's son in d palace...that must b like putin ursef 2 where u can neva belong.
Xtains ar one in Christ when u ar in God's santuary no matter ur health,sex,or status.
You av abuse ur religion 2 d extnt dat a new born baby will not want 2 b a muslim. So wy not put ursef in order instead of tryin 2 make other religion 2 fade like urs.
I realise even d xtains dnt do dis comparism cos a prince will never put himsef so low to d level of a slave!

@Mandesz
First of all u hv to know that there is nothing like 'xtains'. I don't know if u wr refering to 'christians'. If u wr then u hv to put a stop to it for God sake. Because it is a way the devil is swaying the children of God away by misrepresentation. The pagans use the letter 'x' implacement of Christ. Same as 'Xmas'. The pagans do so to qualify that day into their own. n soo many christians also follow ignorantly. It is sad but it about time the truth got preached.

Finally let put a stop with the habit of speaking agaist our fellow Muslims. If u r a true Christian u wld understand what I'm talking about. Don't do what Christ wouldn't do.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by reckwan: 7:19pm On Jan 13, 2013
Mandesz: I dont know wy u muslims will just want 2 compare ur ways of worshipin wit dat of d xtains. But u said u ar all ordinary slaves to God! Imagine a slave want 2 compare himsef 2 d king's son in d palace...that must b like putin ursef 2 where u can neva belong.
Xtains ar one in Christ when u ar in God's santuary no matter ur health,sex,or status.
You av abuse ur religion 2 d extnt dat a new born baby will not want 2 b a muslim. So wy not put ursef in order instead of tryin 2 make other religion 2 fade like urs.
I realise even d xtains dnt do dis comparism cos a prince will never put himsef so low to d level of a slave!
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 8:08pm On Jan 13, 2013
Pangea:

Alright you pray, good,
May I correct you that prayer is not talking to God alone?

What! Where did you get this from? You mean NOT ONLY God we talk to in prayer? You will need to show us from scriptures where prayers are directed to men/man.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
O you that hears prayer, unto you shall all flesh come. - Psalm 65:2

Pangea:

Prayer can be vertical, like you mentioned, that is talking to God, you can do that within your
heart, without your lips moving, etc

This is scriptural BUT you didn't mention shaking heads inclusive because I believe it's nowhere to be found in scripture.

Pangea:

Prayer can also be horizontal, that is prayers of spiritual warfare, that can't be done quietly!

Where did you get this from? Did you import this into God's word or what? If prayer can ALSO BE HORIZONTAL, then God alone is NOT to answer prayers. Besides, how does casting out demons by the word of God and authority of God/Christ's name EQUAL horizontal prayer of spiritual warfare? When you engage in spiritual warfare, you TALK to them BY THE WORD OF GOD, NOT PRAY to them; you command them out; you rebuke them and you cease their operations. That's spiritual warfare, you can't pray to spiritual forces. Shouting and shaking head can't speed up results, it is not shaking head that guarantees our victory in spiritual warfare - it is effect use of the weapons of our warfare listed in Ephesians 6.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Emylexray(m): 8:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
Goshen360:

First, DO NOT look unto me as a man, look unto Christ and If I teach what aligns with scriptures, follow it but if I err, follow Christ. In all, study the word for yourself to learn the truth for yourself.

Second, being Spiritual doesn't make you loose your mind especially when it comes to things of God. Like I said earlier, one of the fruit of the Holy Spirit is SELF control. You control yourSELF which includes your body and parts of your body. The Nigerian version of Christianity, actually its churchianity not Christianity because the early Christians prayed and got extra ordinary result and we're told shaking their heads were part of their prayer exercise.

When you say Jacod 'wrestled' with a man, what was it? Physical or invisible man? Today, our warfare is NOT physical but spiritual (Eph. 6:12). How do you wrestle with invisible forces if it is physical? Jacobs' case is a type of the NT spiritual warfare. In Jacob's case, it was physical but in the NT, it's spiritual and the Apostle say, our warfare is NOT with FLESH AND BLOOD but against SPIRITUAL wickedness....

You said, ""Wrestled" in that context connotes "violence". So what are we saying? Shaking the head while praying indicates violence or "holy anger" as some may term it".

I can't believe this! Well, you said it all as you rightly said..."as some may term it", NOT what scripture says neither did scriptures term it so. wrestled doesn't = violence and shaking head while praying is just a religious add up to the things of the Spirit, it does not indicate violence. Jesus cast out demons BY HIS WORDS, not shaking his heads and screaming and sweating. Well, you may not buy into my teaching but study the scriptures for yourself and in the mirror of the word, let God show you how Spiritual things are done. Things of the Spirit are done in the ways of the Spirit not in Nigerian way.
bro, i've observed most of your posts and teachings carefully and i can say you base your explanations solely on the NEW TESTAMENT thereby undermining the teachings and doctrines of the OLD TESTAMENT. I can remember vividly when you said "tithing" had been abolished in the old testament, are you implying that the doctrines of the OLD TESTAMENT are no longer valid in the mordern day christainity? That aside

you said spiritual battles can only be fought spiritually, how do you mean? Are you implying that the physical man must turn to a spirit before he can tackle spiritual things? I believe the physical controls the spiritual. When we pray in the physical, it affects the spiritual.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 8:10pm On Jan 13, 2013
Bidam:

Manifestations:

Again, I don't want to start analyzing your statement because God doesn't contradict his word. Go straight to the point bro.

Goshen360:

I can't comprehend this my brother. I'm sorry. You need to talk in scriptures - that's the only language I understand. I don't want to start analyzing your statement one after the other. Talk scriptures please. God cannot contradict His word. When you say things outside scripture, I don't have obligation to respond to you.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by HIV1: 9:23pm On Jan 13, 2013
First and foremost Ose ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba (Ose baba) grin Ope ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba (Ope baba) cool. Si ra pa pa pa siro nairalanders (The holy spirit phoned me to tell you nairalanders). Ma koto si keke ma koto si (Leave my anointed people alone cheesy
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 9:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
Emylexray:
bro, i've observed most of your posts and teachings carefully and i can say you base your explanations solely on the NEW TESTAMENT thereby undermining the teachings and doctrines of the OLD TESTAMENT.

My teachings are MOSTLY, NOT SOLELY on the New Testament. I teach and quote from the Old. I just quoted from the Old Testament now up there from the book of Psalms. Now, many people don't understand me nor my teachings 'probably' because of denomination syndrome. I'm not saying that's the only reason but perhaps.

What you called the teachings of the Old Testament ARE ALL REVEALED and FULFILLED in the New Testament. How did I know this? Let's get into the word because that is our standard of interpretation and explaining scriptures with scriptures.

New Living Translation (©2007)
Then Jesus took them through the writings of Moses and all the prophets, explaining from all the Scriptures the things concerning himself. - Luke 24:27

From this scriptures, we can explain that the Old Testament - Moses and ALL the prophets are ALL pointing to Christ. We can also explain that the NT was buried in the OLD? How? Using scriptural equation as follows:

Moses = Genesis to Deuteronomy........equation (1) For law was given by Moses. (John 1:17)
Prophets = Joshua to Malachi..........equation (2)
Jesus = Grace and Truth...............equation (3) Grace and Truth came by Jesus. (John 1:17)

Now flip your bible to Hebrews 1:1-2, to solved the equation:

Before that, don't forget Jesus already explained in Luke 24:27 things that were buried from Moses to ALL the prophets concerning him, that is all pointing to him. Now, Hebrews 1:1-2 confirms that with Christ's word,

In the past [Long ago] God spoke to our ancestors [forefathers; fathers] through the prophets [/b]many times [or [b]in a fragmentary/partial way;  in many parts] and in many different ways.

But now in these last days God has spoken to us through his Son [or a son; 1:3] God has chosen [appointed] his Son to own [be heir/inheritor of] all things, and through him he made the world [universe; ages;  comprising both space and time; John 1:3].

The NT is the Old fulfilled. The Gospel was buried in the Old. My teachings doesn't mean or say anywhere that we can't quote or teach from the Old Testament - I never said anything of such because ALL scriptures (old and new) are given by the inspiration of God and it is used for teaching, correction etc. So, don't misunderstand my teachings, it's good you asked. My emphasis on the NT is simple on Christ and Paul's teaching,

Expanded Bible (EXB)
He made us able [adequate; competent] to be servants of a new agreement [covenant] from himself to his people [covenant; Jer. 31:31–34; Luke 22:20]. This new agreement [covenant] is not a written law [ of the letter], but it is of the Spirit. The written law [ letter] brings death, but the Spirit gives life. - 2 Corinthians 3:6

If Christ ALREADY MADE us ministers of the NEW and the New is already fulfilled in Christ, it therefore means the purpose of the Old had been completed. ALL TRUTH and REVELATION is NOW completed in Christ. Remember, Moses and ALL the Prophets ONLY gave fragment/portion/partial of God's revelation according to Hebrews 1:1 as quoted above BUT the COMPLETE truth and revelation are NOW in Christ. I hope I'm not confusing you here.

Emylexray:

I can remember vividly when you said "tithing" had been abolished in the old testament, are you implying that the doctrines of the OLD TESTAMENT are no longer valid in the mordern day christainity?

Actually I said, tithe had been abolished in the New Testament, NOT in the Old. It's a simply equation deduced from the word of God and here is it but I don't want to derail this thread into tithing thread but since you asked,

Hebrews 7:5 says

Now the law says [authorizes; commands] that those in the tribe [ of the sons/descendants] of Levi who become priests must collect a tenth [tithe] from the people—their own people [ brothers (and sisters)]—even though the priests and the people [ they] are from the family [are also descendants;  have come from the loins/body] of Abraham.

This verse simply says, the tribe of Levi have authorization or COMMANDMENT or COMMANDS to RECEIVE TITHE, right. Okay. Please bear this in mind.

Now, verse 18 of Hebrews 7 says,

The old [former] rule [commandment; regulation] is now set aside [nullified; abolished], because it was weak and useless [ineffective].

Now the question is, does this old or former rule/commandment/regualtion include tithe or not? Does it include the commandment or authorization to take tithe by the tribe of Levi according to verse 5 of same chapter 7 This question need answer and you be the judge.

Emylexray:
That aside you said spiritual battles can only be fought spiritually, how do you mean? Are you implying that the physical man must turn to a spirit before he can tackle spiritual things? I believe the physical controls the spiritual. When we pray in the physical, it affects the spiritual.

No, it does not imply we should turn to spirit. When scriptures says,

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. - Galatians 5:16

Does it mean we should turn into spirit and start walking? NO! It means live by the Spirit of God; be guided by the Spirit etc. Spiritual warfare are fought in our human body, we don't turn spirit to fight spiritual warfare but we do it in the spirit and by the Spirit of God and one of the manifestations or fruit of same Spirit of God is SELF control. When everybody begins to shake their heads like lizard, we are out of control and not be in the Spirit. It is not the Spirit that makes people shake their heads uncontrollably but religious spirit.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Lovine: 9:40pm On Jan 13, 2013
Pentecostal means speaking tongues, right? But Jesus is not a Pentecostal, Evangelical, Fundamentalist, Catholic or Methodist, then why all these confusion? Jesus has nothing to do with all these hypocrites and man made religion.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Enenu1(f): 9:42pm On Jan 13, 2013
sunny t: Thats the trend, U know d saying "go with d flow, go wia d wind blows"

Wait a minute, is dia a particular way to pray? Are u suppose to lie down, kneel down or . . . . . . ?

There's no particular way to pray. As the spirit leads my dear
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Lovine: 9:45pm On Jan 13, 2013
There's no particular way to pray. As the spirit leads my dear

But not as if you are praying to the air, but not to a living God. Sometimes prayers can go like that but not a custom.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 10:12pm On Jan 13, 2013
Lovine: There's no particular way to pray. As the spirit leads my dear

But not as if you are praying to the air, but not to a living God. Sometimes prayers can go like that but [size=20pt]not a custom.[/size]
....of shaking one's head.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Zikdik(m): 10:20pm On Jan 13, 2013
KINGwax: since i biliv d OP: zidik, is a muslim, then the answer u seek lies in the same reasons all muslims knock their head on the floor in form on bowin. No wonder they loose their senses and become realistic brain-shaken terrorists.
Zikdik is a "pentecostal" CHRISTAIN.However,the way people gesticulate while praying is quiet amusing.I happen to have come across some very funny scenes and I tell you what:Gesticulation does not translate to Spiritual Agression....NA WASH!

P.S:What is the difference between you and a muslim?Its a forum,so please,let your consequent posts show less Religious Hostility and Aggression.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Lovine: 11:10pm On Jan 13, 2013
But why do the Muslims wash their heads, ears, eyes, even their privates before prayer? And also they shout every morning?
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 11:15pm On Jan 13, 2013
Lovine: But why do the Muslims wash their heads, ears, eyes, even their privates before prayer? And also they shout every morning?

...and Christians are instructed to do the same thing(s) in the manner/way If you are a female, (which I don't know anyway) don't tell me you don't go to worship place or gathering when you have your monthly discharge..... cheesy
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Lovine: 11:18pm On Jan 13, 2013
...and Christians are instructed to do the same thing in the manner/way? If you are a female, (which I don't know anyway) don't tell me you don't go to worship place or gathering when you have your monthly discharge.....
(Quote) (Report) (Like)

No Christians don't observe that law it was for Judaism, Judaism is not Christian
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by badassnigga(m): 11:18pm On Jan 13, 2013
to deceive their followers. they av to fake a person possessed grin...little do they know that they r doing damage to their heads
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Lovine: 11:20pm On Jan 13, 2013
The way you speak you seemed possessed before you don't love your neighbor and in any single provocation you can kill, are my speaking your mind?
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 11:28pm On Jan 13, 2013
Lovine: ...and Christians are instructed to do the same thing in the manner/way? If you are a female, (which I don't know anyway) don't tell me you don't go to worship place or gathering when you have your monthly discharge.....
(Quote) (Report) (Like)

No Christians don't observe that law it was for Judaism, Judaism is not Christian

Thank you! You have spoken the eternal truth. God bless you! In fact, you are already blessed!
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Pvictor10(m): 11:34pm On Jan 13, 2013
I gbadun u jare @mike. Even Elijah prayed, putting his head between his thigh facing heaven. Jesus also prayed to the extent that his sweat was like blood. Was that overzealous? OGA ADE wey start this trend,Think straight! Anyway ur BRAIN IS TOO SMALL TO UNDERSTAND THE DIMENSIONS OF PRAYER.
goodmike7: What is your business fool,idiot,why can't you people mind your business and leave christians or pentecostal churches alone,when muslims lick the floor and scrape their forehead everyday do we ask why

Get a life and mind your business,if you can't pray like that then keep your mouth shut while others pray however they choose.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by nagoma(m): 12:48am On Jan 14, 2013

Don't derail the thread , it's about Pentecostals . You can start another one on Muslims if you like, but answer the question asked by the OP or just pass. We want to know about the head shaking and Azonto dance.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by xwolverine: 2:47am On Jan 14, 2013
@Goshen360 you need to understand that for every prayer, there should be an element of faith which in turn enables the person praying to have personal conviction that the prayer is being answered.

If an individual believes that he needs to shake his/her head for them to attain the level of personal conviction that his/her prayers have been answered, who are we to question the person's mode of praying?

A person can pray in which ever way they choose to as long as it doesnt go against christianity.

the scripture says in
2 Corinthians 1:24 (MSG)
24 We’re not in charge of how you live out the faith, looking over your shoulders, suspiciously critical. We’re partners, working alongside you, joyfully expectant. I know that you stand by your own faith, not by ours.

Infact, some chose to pray that way to re-invigorate themselves and reduce the chances of sleeping off while praying. This is done especially during Vigils.

Don't make the mistake of judging an individual's beliefs based on their mode of prayer. What you should rather do is encourage them in their faith and recognise the importance of the content of the prayer rather than changing what they belief in.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Goshen360(m): 4:15am On Jan 14, 2013
^^^

First, your advice is Christ-like and matured. Thank for those words. However, I don't want you to see it from the perspective that I'm trying to change or judge what people believe in as it relates to this subject. My emphasis are crystal clear - correction! The corrective surgery sometimes doesn't go down well with us. Many of us will always want to react in some ways or the other. Either way, I will try see if I will adopt another way of teaching to make it look more of corrective than it looking like I'm judging. Thanks once again for your advice, God bless you bro.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by Nobody: 6:08am On Jan 14, 2013
Goshen360:

Again, I don't want to start analyzing your statement because God doesn't contradict his word. Go straight to the point bro.

i don't need to quote scriptures concerning this..since u guys are in the business of twistind scriptures to butress an argument..dnt bastardise scriptures by looking at the logos..becos the scriptures does not categorically state you use your head, arms and legs(body) while praying doesn't negate the fact that its not a possibilty...

Sometimes prayers(intercessory)activities is not done in an easy, relaxed prayer position..the propehtic and governmental dimension of prayer is aggressive and explosive in strength in order for for it to bring a direct heavenly response...people who pray in tongues would understand my point of view.

Lemme take you through a prayer school technology so as to open your eyes in warfare expressions of the apostolic and prophetic:
ACTS 12:1-17
IT was herod's intention to bind up peter so that there could be no escape. This single prisoner was guarded by 16 soldiers and was 'kept' in prison but the church entered into UNCEASING PRAYER OVER THE SITUATION. the word used here in the greek for "unceasing prayer" is made up of two words meaning "to stretch out". It is the word from which we get the english word "tension".

To strech out in prayer; to move with a tension in the prayer activity is not an easy, relaxed prayer position my broda...it is prayer that determines to make things happen and to change the parameters of the situation. THESE SAINTS KNEW THAT THEY COULD CHANGE PHYSICAL REALITY BY PRAYER AND BY STRETCHING OUT IN PRAYER INTENSITY..they were praying over a local situation not a distance one; over one of their own and not a foreigner.

They were totally unaware of the fact that God had already begun to move in the situation. There was no word of knowledge, no angelic activity to tell them to stop praying; no evidence came from heaven that God was on the move until peter actually turned up at the gate. It took peter, who was actually involved in the angelic deliverance,sometym to realize that what the angel did was Real(verse9).
Heavenly activity was actually creating a new reality on the earth, in response to the INSISTENT "STRETCHED OUT"(WITH THE ENTIRE FIBRE IN YOUR BEING) PRAY-ER OF THE SAINTS, SO THAT EVEN THE PRAYER WARRIORS WERE TAKEN BY SURPRISE(VERSE 15)...

This particular scripture always encourages me to continue to stretch out in prayer over the nations and the future purposes of God..i will continue to pray In The Spirit declaring prophetic utterances and apostolic decrees becos it truly declares to the principalities and powers of the camp of the enemy the heart of the apostolic impartation in the Church.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by KazaaUpload: 6:20am On Jan 14, 2013
Lol very funny points. It's an expression of passion.....one is having a desire and passion to be intimate with God at that moment. One isn't "faking" it, and also one isn't saying that they gotta do like that in order to have the rather answered. Each to his own.
But when the pastor tries to force you to do that way, I'm like "why"? In any case, I prefer to sit down and pray properly and orderly to God. od business is serious business and I prefer not to be screaming uncontrollably at him and then suddenly randomly stop when MOG decides to move on to next point.
Re: Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? by skak(m): 6:40am On Jan 14, 2013
this na new version of ''ALANTA'' dance...
Sunday meka come hurry oh! rock n roll de on church!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Seven Spots Satan Easily Entrap Christian Youths / If Weed Plant Is From God Then Why Will It Be A Sin If You Use It / Orji Orizu Sues Reverend-Father Chilaka For N5bn Over Prophecy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.