Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,331 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? (9948 Views)

Elderly Nigerian Couple On A Romantic Date At A Park / My Step-father Sneaked Into My Room And Made Love To Me / What Kind Of Woman Would You Love To Marry- Choose (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by coogar: 9:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
for me, romantic love is not love but a complex of attitudes about love....
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 9:15pm On Nov 15, 2012
coogar: for me, romantic love is not love but a complex of attitudes about love....

What is love then?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 15, 2012
I can't say I understand where this discussion is going but if I were to summarize true romantic love IMO, I would say it is the one that endures. You can't say for sure that it is true love until you can look back with the passage of time and it's still there. And by time I mean the time it takes to get to know all about them and all or most aspects of the relationship. Whether it is reciprocal is another matter. Whether you end up together or not is also another matter.

In a way it is selfish, it depends on being with the right person/compatibility issues and the absence of major blunders. So it starts selfish but should continue mostly selfless; if that makes any sense. Ok I think I'm rambling, gosh this is a hard question!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 9:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
ileobatojo: I can't say I understand where this discussion is going but if I were to summarize true romantic love IMO, I would say it is the one that endures. You can't say for sure that it is true love until you can look back with the passage of time and it's still there. And by time I mean the time it takes to get to know all about them and all or most aspects of the relationship. Whether it is reciprocal is another matter. Whether you end up together or not is also another matter.

In a way it is selfish, it depends on being with the right person/compatibility issues and the absence of major blunders. So it starts selfish but should continue mostly selfless; if that makes any sense. Ok I think I'm rambling, gosh this is a hard question!

It is not really meant to go anywhere, it is open-ended.

The aim is to learn, collate and guage what people understand about the commonly brandished word called love and the intangible mental state called love that many people seek.

Another aim is to throw questions that make people challenge their own ingrained belief and perception about love.

There is no right answer, it is a philosophical session. It is suppose to be a hard question. cheesy

Looking at yours, it appears you perception of love is achieveable with multiple different partners and there is nothing like soul mate.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

Nah! Love is not a choice.

Companionship is.

Hmm...

I think u should tell us what love is now.

Sagamite:

So you are basically saying lower the intensity and keep it simple but genuine?

I agree with dis simple summary. D more intense, d more it hurts.grin
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by coogar: 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:
What is love then?

love is far deeper - when one is in love, it's a feeling of completeness....there's a feeling that something one has missed all his life has suddenly returned, the feeling makes one levitate above the ordinary world....there's a difference between "true love" and "limerence"(romantic love or whatever they call it)...

romantic love on the other hand is a fairy-tale: it's a feeling of what we want our partner to be rather than accepting them for who they truly are.....women have been cooked up with this myth that there's a prince in a shiny armour waiting for them out there....and it makes them place an unrealistic demand on their romantic partner.

romantic love never produces human relationships as long as its "romantic" because we are in love with our own fantastical creations rather than the other person for who they really are.....all we keep doing is expecting our partners to make us happy like the fairy tales described it but ask people who have been married to their partners half of their lives and they would tell you it's not the adrenaline rush kinda love today's women crave that has sustained them!

1 Like

Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

Looking at yours, it appears you perception of love is achieveable with multiple different partners and there is nothing like soul mate.

Hmm, I don't think it excludes the possibility that it could only be found with just one person.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 9:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
coogar:

love is far deeper - when one is in love, it's a feeling of completeness....there's a feeling that something one has missed all his life has suddenly returned, the feeling makes one levitate above the ordinary world....

Sho! shocked

Are you sure it is not the hallucinating impact of weed you are describing here. grin

The one that makes one blur out "Oh la la laa! Johnny, I am on cloud fcking NINE"! grin

coogar: there's a difference between "true love" and "limerence"(romantic love or whatever they call it)...

romantic love on the other hand is a fairy-tale: it's a feeling of what we want our partner to be rather than accepting them for who they truly are.....women have been cooked up with this myth that there's a prince in a shiny armour waiting for them out there....and it makes them place an unrealistic demand on their romantic partner.

romantic love never produces human relationships as long as its "romantic" because we are in love with our own fantastical creations rather than the other person for who they really are.....all we keep doing is expecting our partners to make us happy like the fairy tales described it but ask people who have been married to their partners half of their lives and they would tell you it's not the adrenaline rush kinda love today's women crave that has sustained them!

Blame their useless girl/women's magazines. cool
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by coogar: 10:08pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:
Sho! shocked
Are you sure it is not the hallucinating impact of weed you are describing here. grin
The one that makes one blur out "Oh la la laa! Johnny, I am on cloud fcking NINE"! grin

exactly....

Blame their useless girl/women's magazines. cool

the cinderella stories are the cause....
all these women grew up listening to the prince/princess stories that ends with "and they lived happily ever after".....happily ever after? most of the characters in play came from broken families but the fairy tales still fooled each and everyone of us with this happily ever after delusion.....

years after, these girls grew up envisioned with what " love" is supposed to be and the delusion keeps them thinking that "true love" is still out there waiting for them! a lot of women are still stuck in this wash&rinse cycle of romantic love because they are deluded fiery romantic love must be everlasting!

1 Like

Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
coogar:

a lot of women are still stuck in this wash&rinse cycle of romantic love because they are deluded fiery romantic love must be everlasting!

That's rich coming from someone who's love is based on the firmness of his spouse's breasts. angry

Sorry, not trying to derail thread.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by coogar: 10:25pm On Nov 15, 2012
ileobatojo:

That's rich coming from someone who's love is based on the firmness of his spouse's breasts. angry

Sorry, not trying to derail thread.

my love is not based on boöbs...it thrives because of böobs otherwise i would be a flaming faggöt!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
coogar:

my love is not based on boöbs...it thrives because of böobs otherwise i would be a flaming faggöt!

But doesn't this make you 'deluded that fiery romantic love must be everlasting'?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by coogar: 10:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
ileobatojo:

But doesn't this make you 'deluded that fiery romantic love must be everlasting'?

preferring a woman with boöbs isn't a fiery romantic love....
preference comes before everything....even before i hit puberty.....my mum said i have always been fascinated with boöbs - it took me 3 yrs to leave her böobs alone so the result of who i am today has nothing to do with romance - it's an innate obsession! tongue

romantic love is a wonderful way to start - who doesn't like the buzz attached to a new relationship(gifts, dinner dates, frequent calls, wild sex, etc) but that relationship would not get anywhere unless both parties are willing and able to see each other as who they truly are....

the basis of any lasting relationship is founded on the love that springs not in spite of but
because of the other person's weaknesses and imperfections, because without a doubt, it's our flaws that make us human! we can only seek an everlasting romantic love with angels - you won't achieve that with mere mortals!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by ronkebp(f): 11:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
What is love especially between two people?

I will say it is first and foremost a feeling that cannot be explained. This feeling can either grow or diminish depending on how it has been watered, example of such watering processes include, individual attitudes, personalities, ambition, spiritual make-up, emotional make-up, and so on.

Love between two people should be such that, it is not selfish, there is mutual respect, excellent communication, humility, you tend to allow those things you will not allow on a normal day, you want that person to be successful, you want that person to be great, hence you want the best for that individual. you care about that person, you want to know everything about this 'wonderful person' and you want to grow together. And not forgetting how the two handle conflicts is also an important aspect of love.

The issue of 'soul mate' is beyond the physical, it is usually a spiritual connection, but it is a feeling that cannot be erased, no matter where you are that person will always be a part of you. Now, just because you have a soul mate does not mean, when you get married it will be problem free and it will all be about love, NAh!!!!!! there is more to the issue of soulmates, only very few make good partners, the maturity level of the individuals involved will help them oversome any form of conflict, when understanding is absent, then there is an issue.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by baby124: 12:11am On Nov 16, 2012
Lofu nwantintin cheesy. <---- Meaning of love. grin
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 2:01pm On Nov 16, 2012
Something tells me "Love" is the oldest and biggest recycleable industry.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by pendo89(f): 4:11pm On Nov 16, 2012
Sagamite: Let me hear people's views especially the people that are married and those that advocate love.

How do you see love? Romantic love is conditional and lasts as long as you both decide.

What is it? It's an emotional feeling which causes people to make stupid or smart decisions.

How is it embodied? in actions

How should it work? No formula.It's supposed to work anywhere,anytime,anyhow under any temperature or pressure.

Is it important in a relationship? Very. Love is an emotion which plays a vital role in relationships. Without Love,one fails to maximise their full potential.To me, it's the grease in relationships which stops the creaking sounds.It's impossible to give your all and be your best when in a dry relationship.

Is it sustainable? As long as you are BOTH working on it.

Can marriage be good if it is weak? Never! A single crack is enough to bring down a tower.Erosion works on weak points.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by kilokeys(m): 4:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
Romantic love is relative.
Love to me and most guys is good sex, good communication, humor, my space (when i need to be alone i need to be alone) then care ( i enjoy spending on my lady, its a man thing..)
i think ladies are the most confused when it comes to love. If u dey bleep them wella, they wld interpret true love as a bleepless relationship with the care ( cash time ). If u no bleep at all.. Then true love wld likely be interpreted as being around a manly guy , that knows how to bleep plus care plus time plus cash.
The point is , we all chase what we dont have , and never appreciate anything given for free.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by jaywee(m): 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2012
carefreewannabe:

You're very polite kiss

What a coincidence you have just opened this thread. I discussed the question with a friend JUST yesterday.
I told her what I have just said to you.

I said: 'I love you' is a sentence that begins with the personal pronoun 'I' and in fact it is all about 'I' and 'ME'. I, in the first place, you follow but you're just " a means to an end".
People say they love others because they get something out of it or at least hope to get something and even expect to get something.
Ask people why they love their partners and you'll get answers like:

"He / she takes care of ME."
"He / she makes ME smile."
"He / She takes ME places I have never been to."
"He / She satisfies ME in bed".
"He / She completes ME."
"He / She makes ME a better person."

The list goes on and on and on.
Note: People have a combination of the reasons mentioned above and some others that are about 'I' and 'Me'.

Now, what is even more interesting is that people "love" their partners AS LONG AS they meet / fulfill their expectaions and needs. BUT what happens if the partner stops doing so? The person you called baby, honey, boo becomes a b.itch, an a.sshole and so on and in many cases bitter feelings and hatred evolve.

Bottom line: We "love" people because they do something for us, something we want and / or need, something that makes us feel good. Take it away and "love" will die, sooner or later.

Not in all cases.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Delfino: 4:15pm On Nov 28, 2012
L.O.V.E -- Come in different ways and can be ingnited by different reasons.

It could be a function of seeing what you really cherish, like, fancy, adore, want, in a person or a thing.
We all have fantasies and sometimes we unexpectedly meet these things that we fantasize about and then a fire is ignited.
You become so attached and obsessed with that particular thing or person just because they satisfy some feelings or emotions in you.

It now does not matter if those feeling you exhibit are reciprocated, NO!
As long as you satisfy your feelings, emotions, by just beeing encapsulated by the thought of that thing or person, you are just OK.

Most times it doesn't make sense and the truth is --- It does not really have to make sense !
It is hard to explain sometimes but if you have been there and done that, you will simply understand.

True love is all about giving and expressing yourself for something without wanting anything in return.
Just as long as it makes you happy.

You can die for something or someone --- it is because doing so satisfies a feeling inside you.
You can sacrifice or give your last dime to save a situation or someone --- just because doing so makes you happy and you feel good doing that.

Where true love is being expressed, consequences are damned and prices can not be negotiated.
You will be ready to give it all it takes at just any cost and in the end, no regrets however it turns out.

Be it -- past, present and future, you will always cherish the moment with fond memories.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 5:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
Delfino: L.O.V.E -- Come in different ways and can be ingnited by different reasons.

It could be a function of seeing what you really cherish, like, fancy, adore, want, in a person or a thing.
We all have fantasies and sometimes we unexpectedly meet these things that we fantasize about and then a fire is ignited.
You become so attached and obsessed with that particular thing or person just because they satisfy some feelings or emotions in you.

It now does not matter if those feeling you exhibit are reciprocated, NO!
As long as you satisfy your feelings, emotions, by just beeing encapsulated by the thought of that thing or person, you are just OK.

Most times it doesn't make sense and the truth is --- It does not really have to make sense !
It is hard to explain sometimes but if you have been there and done that, you will simply understand.

True love is all about giving and expressing yourself for something without wanting anything in return.
Just as long as it makes you happy.

You can die for something or someone --- it is because doing so satisfies a feeling inside you.
You can sacrifice or give your last dime to save a situation or someone --- just because doing so makes you happy and you feel good doing that.

Where true love is being expressed, consequences are damned and prices can not be negotiated.
You will be ready to give it all it takes at just any cost and in the end, no regrets however it turns out.

Be it -- past, present and future, you will always cherish the moment with fond memories.

I like this part.

This where I fault part of Jenny's definition because people can be in love without it being reciprocated.

But I think love has to be reciprocated before people would be willing to die for the other person.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sike(m): 5:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
This LOVE again!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by bumtos(m): 5:52pm On Nov 28, 2012
As for me, I entered labour room with my wife when she delievered our first daughter.
If you come to Ajayi Hospital in Ikorodu. If u are around within lagos by the time ur wife wanted to deliever. It is must for you to enter with ur wife. Infact, women are trying o no be small.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by SisiKill1: 6:01pm On Nov 28, 2012
bumtos: As for me, I entered labour room with my wife when she delievered our first daughter.
If you come to Ajayi Hospital in Ikorodu. If u are around within lagos by the time ur wife wanted to deliever. It is must for you to enter with ur wife. Infact, women are trying o no be small.

Now THIS is love!! cheesy tongue
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Tgirl4real(f): 6:23pm On Nov 28, 2012
What r u talking bumtos I think u posted on the wrong thread.

@ Post, what I can deduce from what most defined 'romantic love' as is that marriage shouldn't be built on it. Else, u will get a divorce each tym u stop loving ur partner.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
Tgirl4real: What r u talking bumtos I think u posted on the wrong thread.

I think it is more likely he ran out of his medicated pills. undecided
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
They say food is the way to a mans heart and I say good seex is the express way to my spirit body and soul.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Elefida(f): 3:36am On Nov 29, 2012
smileyHmm..
Interesting thread!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by joe4christ(m): 2:23pm On Nov 29, 2012
Putting my interest at heart when about taking any decission while i reciprocate same is the most romantic means of showing me love.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by kilokeys(m): 10:35pm On Nov 29, 2012
i go love o.. I pray o.. Smh.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by baby124: 1:03am On Nov 30, 2012
joe4christ: Putting my interest at heart when about taking any decission while i reciprocate same is the most romantic means of showing me love.

Your own love is very selfish. "Me me me love". Smh. I think the bible defines love the best. Joe4christ obviously is not familiar with that part. Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pls Help Me, My Wife Is Killing Me. Helpppppp! / Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals / A Family Budget That Works - updated with spread sheet.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.