Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality (13421 Views)

Does Driving With The AC On Actually Use More Fuel? / Driving With Or Without Shoes / Driving With Or Without Shoes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by coogar: 12:28am On Nov 18, 2012
abiL:

I've had to take a speed awareness course in the past.

The car vibrates sometimes, when the road isn't as smooth, there's wind blowing, or if there's a slight curve/ bend to the road.

I'm used to long distance high speed driving, so I rarely notice the car shaking, when it does shake. If it shakes too much, I just ease off the accelerator.

I drive a Mini Cooper Convertible.. 2010 one

take it easy on the pedal.....life is precious!
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by abiL(f): 12:32am On Nov 18, 2012
coogar:

take it easy on the pedal.....life is precious!

I know.. Thanks.

I only drive really fast on the motorway when there isn't much traffic.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by manny4life(m): 12:40am On Nov 18, 2012
All of you doing 100mph on the highway, I will continue to pray for yall that none of you are EVER involved in a motor crash. After my accident, the highest I've come close to doing is 80/85 mph worst, that's it. Anything more than that, is literally suicide mission, because your car begins to vibrate at that point, you can feel the pressure on your tires against the road surface, the steering wheel becomes a lil loose and dancing around while you're holding onto it, because the car is gradually losing traction balance. At that point, unless your car is designed and equipped, so many things can go wrong. We all know that not all highways are super smooth, unless your brakes can react in 1/10th of a second less than 100ft from an obstacle, hmm, it's dangerous.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by barikono(m): 12:55am On Nov 18, 2012
my fist time commend on nairaland. everyone has a way of doing things do yours and forget about others
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Nobody: 1:07am On Nov 18, 2012
I think it's just a style... I drive with my left hand and use the other for bad habit ( i won't tell wink) and I go up to 140km/hr ,

but since Monday the snow has been nonstop and the roads are very icy and many cars just skid with a lot of screeching here and there...nobody taught me to use my two hands ..lol

this is the time I wish I'm in Naija sad
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by barikono(m): 2:03am On Nov 18, 2012
My fist time to commend, depend on how you view it, the most important thing is driving safe.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Umamman1(m): 6:03am On Nov 18, 2012
I drive with one hand but my dad will shout on me anytime he sees me do so.He says its a bad driving habit but I can't help it,its d most comfortable way for my driving.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by noblegas2(m): 6:53am On Nov 18, 2012
ItsModella:
Didn't you see the 80-100 mph? mph not km/h.

No! I didnt see it!
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by jaymdee(m): 7:21am On Nov 18, 2012
Dopefiend:

We gat a tranny here guys

LOL!!! Cos he sips juice? Na wa for NLders.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by souleymon(m): 9:45am On Nov 18, 2012
Act of Professionalism
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:59am On Nov 18, 2012
Nah, its not abnormal. I do drive with one hand when I am in a relaxed mood and only when I'm driving along a pretty straight road. I switch to two hands immediately I need to negotiate around a curve though. The thing is, if u aren't comfortable doing it, then don't try it simply because it looks cool. No point risking ur life and that of other road users.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by donmelinga(m): 11:11am On Nov 18, 2012
Its not style or abnormality. Its called "driving made easy".
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by dilbert100: 11:20am On Nov 18, 2012
its lazy, and dangerous.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Slizbeat(m): 11:43am On Nov 18, 2012
I drive with 1 hand, accelerate n brake with 1 leg. On a manual, I use d oda hand 4 transmission noni. Highest speed ever driven by me is 140km/hr on a toyota Tundra V8 vehicle along kaduna-zaria road. Ah cun dy feel lyk jason statham 4 transporter, hehe. Pls dnt try it o0, speed really kills xcept u r fast n steady.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by abrahkyn: 2:57pm On Nov 18, 2012
Driving with one hand is a style to showcase pride. It tantamounts to doing a wrong thing with confidence. It is a characteristics of people that learnt driving in a hard way-not passing through Driving School.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by manny4life(m): 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2012
abrahkyn: Driving with one hand is a style to showcase pride. It tantamounts to doing a wrong thing with confidence. It is a characteristics of people that learnt driving in a hard way-not passing through Driving School.

FAT LIE.

Driving school teaches you the basics, most instructors are there to guide you with courage and independence. After you leave driving school and start driving, you'll find your comfort zone. For instance, I learned driving years back in in my young teen, YET, there are actions I still perform till today, years later. Does it mean I don't drive with one hand? The ONLY time I drive with both hands is in bad weather such as rain, fog, etc where visibility is really low, and the ground surface is wet. Abeg, it's all about comfort and has nothing to do with driving school.

1 Like

Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by ironheart(m): 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
It depends on were u are n what your mood is. As for me its not a style. I put me hand outside when i feel sleepy on the steering wheel. When am driving from 120 to 140, i alternate between one hand and two hands. But trust me u are better off with two hands when you are doing 140 to 175 because everything will be going n coming so fast. U cant dodge pot holes safely with one hand. U cant at that speed u cant run past a tight corner with one hand. Trust me u cant drive a toyota hilux at 170 with one hand on kaduna abuja road becouse of the road. Please always use ur two hands mostly when u are doing hard acceleration n ur car does not hav traction control.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Thok(m): 6:44pm On Nov 18, 2012
Efizzy noni. cool
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by arisetayo(m): 6:44pm On Nov 18, 2012
Unconsciously dt was how I started learning driving,and its the most convenient way for me to drive,so comfortable and relaxin,even up till now.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by franklampard082(m): 6:45pm On Nov 18, 2012
I drive with one hand wen cruising at regular speed. Once I get to 100 km/Hr I start driving with two hands especially if am on a highway. I keep warning my friends that drive at high speed with just one hand that it's too risky. It's much easier to control a speeding vehicle wit two hands. Person no dey die wit style. Even Race drivers use two hands wen at high speed cuz they understand this logic. To be forewarned is to be forearmed
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by forkadict(m): 2:09pm On Nov 19, 2012
Okija_juju: When once I reach 100km/h I switch to driving wi two hands... I once sat in a car where the back tyre exploded at 120 km/h and if the driver didn't have both hands on the wheel, it would have been disastrous.

True talk. No mind all those LEARNERS wey dey form exper drivers. I no sabi when dem start to dey drive wey dem dey form louis hamilton.

@ALL, when driving at top speed, anything from 100km/hr and above, please learn to use both hands. It's best practice cos anything and i mean any forking thing can happen. When the unexpected happens, you'll heve the edge to better control the car unlike the driver who uses one hand under such circumstance.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by forkadict(m): 2:10pm On Nov 19, 2012
chucksbadt: Pls i know am gion off topic but am still learning how to drive and all the cars in my house are automatic.......i want to know if it advisable to use 2 legs while driving automatic?....or is one leg preferable....if yes..why?
LMAO. Omo na one leg o. the other leg (your left leg) should be idle all thru.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
I drive with both hands on the wheel - no exception.

I've done one hand driving in the past. However, this ended back in 1992 on the M4. I was on my way to Bristol, when I had a front nearside tyre blow-out. I was overtaking a coach when it happened, and the sudden explosion of the tyre actually spun the wheel wowards the coach! It took all my strength and skill to avoid slamming into the truck broadside.

When I managed to negotiate back to the hard shoulder, I realised the thumb on my left hand was broken. I didn't feel it when it happened, when the wheel spun in my hand, one of the spokes caught my thumb. I was really lucky, and ever since then, I've always driven with both hands on the wheel. It's good practice, and gives much more control in the event of an emergency.

Driving with one hand, to the point you feel "uncomfortable" using both is bad practice. Such driver's vehicles tend to "wander" when using both hands, as they have no idea how to keep their vehicles in a straight line. They grip the wheel way too tightly as a result. And when it's time to go for their driving test, it's often to see them fail, with "poor lateral control" cited as the main issue.

And before anyone says my car must have been old, defective, had no power-assisted steering, it had bad tyres etc, it was a 1990 BMW M3 E30 Cabrio, and was two-years-old at the time. And all tyres were fitted three weeks before the incident. It turned out two of the tyres had factory defects, which caused the tread to separate from the canvas.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 19, 2012
chucksbadt: Pls i know am gion off topic but am still learning how to drive and all the cars in my house are automatic.......i want to know if it advisable to use 2 legs while driving automatic?....or is one leg preferable....if yes..why?

Automatics are driven with just your right leg to switch between the brake and gas pedal. And to be honest, if you're asking what you've posted above, you need to register with a driving school, and take PROPER driving instruction.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by forkadict(m): 3:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena: I drive with both hands on the wheel - no exception.

I've done one hand driving in the past. However, this ended back in 1992 on the M4. I was on my way to Bristol, when I had a front nearside tyre blow-out. I was overtaking a coach when it happened, and the sudden explosion of the tyre actually spun the wheel wowards the coach! It took all my strength and skill to avoid slamming into the truck broadside.

When I managed to negotiate back to the hard shoulder, I realised the thumb on my left hand was broken. I didn't feel it when it happened, when the wheel spun in my hand, one of the spokes caught my thumb. I was really lucky, and ever since then, I've always driven with both hands on the wheel. It's good practice, and gives much more control in the event of an emergency.

Driving with one hand, to the point you feel "uncomfortable" using both is bad practice. Such driver's vehicles tend to "wander" when using both hands, as they have no idea how to keep their vehicles in a straight line. They grip the wheel way too tightly as a result. And when it's time to go for their driving test, it's often to see them fail, with "poor lateral control" cited as the main issue.

And before anyone says my car must have been old, defective, had no power-assisted steering, it had bad tyres etc, it was a 1990 BMW M3 E30 Cabrio, and was two-years-old at the time. And all tyres were fitted three weeks before the incident. It turned out two of the tyres had factory defects, which caused the tread to separate from the canvas.

Bro. Trust me, I dont impress easily. But I must commend your dedication to the auto section of this land and also your methods of answering questions. You always attack any topic in a deep manner and still making it easy for even a foool to understand. Big ups man! I guess you are an automobile engineer. Please confirm. Best regards bro.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 19, 2012
fork adict: Bro. Trust me, I dont impress easily. But I must commend your dedication to the auto section of this land and also your methods of answering questions. You always attack any topic in a deep manner and still making it easy for even a foool to understand. Big ups man! I guess you are an automobile engineer. Please confirm. Best regards bro.

Thanks bro, I'm glad my efforts on this section are appreciated.

Yes, I'm an automobile engineer, and run a small, but efficient garage here.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by jenny2007(f): 12:09am On Dec 30, 2012
Driving with one hand is something that has become a part of my driving life. But I notice I only do it when on a straight clear road with no traffic. Its fun atimes
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by BasseyJ(m): 12:29am On Dec 30, 2012
Hi, Mr Siena and other guru's in the Auto section, i drive with one hand, i actually taught myself to drive, at times when i'm driving Elder ones, i ''use'' both hands, but not really sha, my left hand does nothing, it just holds the steering for show, if i attempt to steer with both hands, the car wont be steady and would 'swerve'. My question is, is it a bad way of driving?? And how do i change it. Also, i use both legs when driving automatic, one for the brakes and one for accerelation, is there any harm in doing it?
Thanks
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by Abbott(m): 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2012
abiL:

I swear that song sounds so much better when you're speeding down the motorway grin

You sure know the feeling!
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by forkadict(m): 7:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
BasseyJ: Hi, Mr Siena and other guru's in the Auto section, i drive with one hand, i actually taught myself to drive, at times when i'm driving Elder ones, i ''use'' both hands, but not really sha, my left hand does nothing, it just holds the steering for show, if i attempt to steer with both hands, the car wont be steady and would 'swerve'. My question is, is it a bad way of driving?? And how do i change it. Also, i use both legs when driving automatic, one for the brakes and one for accerelation, is there any harm in doing it?
Thanks

LMAO. Pls no offence.

I will recommend you enrol at the nearest driving school to you or you get an able instructor to put you thru driving as you dont know nada about driving.

First of, steering should ideally be done with both hands. So for you to complain that your car swerves when you steer with both hands indicates that you still havent grasped fully the basics of driving.

Second, you drive an automatic car with both legs??
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by basisop(m): 3:07am On Jan 01, 2013
manny4life: All of you doing 100mph on the highway, I will continue to pray for yall that none of you are EVER involved in a motor crash. After my accident, the highest I've come close to doing is 80/85 mph worst, that's it. Anything more than that, is literally suicide mission, because your car begins to vibrate at that point, you can feel the pressure on your tires against the road surface, the steering wheel becomes a lil loose and dancing around while you're holding onto it, because the car is gradually losing traction balance. At that point, unless your car is designed and equipped, so many things can go wrong. We all know that not all highways are super smooth, unless your brakes can react in 1/10th of a second less than 100ft from an obstacle, hmm, it's dangerous.

Oga, 80kmph is dangerous on good highway. 90-100kmph is ok.
Re: Driving With One Hand ;style Or Abnormality by manny4life(m): 3:15am On Jan 01, 2013
basisop:

Oga, 80kmph is dangerous on good highway. 90-100kmph is ok.

Ok bro, I said mph aka Miles Per Hour, NOT Kilometers Per Hour. 100mph is equivalent to about 160kmph. That's dangerous speed even on good road. I've done 90/95 on highways for instance to NY, and after my near brush in with collision, had I not had full control of my car, it would have been history.

I DO NOT endorse 80mph let alone 90, and then 100, whoever is doing that is asking for death. I'm only speaking from experience. Yes, most of the roads are very smooth, but most cars are not designed for that dangerous speeds, and those that are designed, a lot can go wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition / MAZDA 6. To Buy Or Not To Buy / What Kind Of Car Can ₦1 Million Get Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.