Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,366 members, 7,864,694 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 01:42 AM

Breach Of Promise To Marry - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Breach Of Promise To Marry (3502 Views)

Is It Advisable To Marry A Non Virgin Girl? / Who's That Nlander You've Secretly Had A Crush For And I Promise I Won't Tell / [poll] Would You Prefer to Marry a Virgin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by dmcdad: 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
mondi_cheeks: if you have a relationship with someone for a few years, you get engaged, you both maintain each other even where there is no obligation to do so.you sell your own property with the intention to buy new property with your fiance/fiancee. some of the money you use it or wedding preparations, you bought the wedding rings, you paid for the honeymoon. a month before the wedding he/she breaks off the engage because he/she fell for someone else...would u sue for breach of promise to marry or would u just let it go without a fight? if so, give grounds u would base it on

I'd let it go of course.. I believe if we are gonna be there should be a mutual agreement and if along the line u dont feel the spark anymore or the chemistry is not there, then it's a free world. Bottom line is, if u want out anytime and for any reason, then it's ur life. The last thing I will want to do is make u change ur mind let alone charge u for whatever...
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by RudySmith(m): 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2012
mondi_cheeks:
this is where i was saying u made an error...its not if she wanted to...its if conditions to do so were not given!

If u had read everything written in my post, it would have been clear 2 u. Here, let me post again what u failed 2 focus on:

As stated by this article:
The gift of an engagement ring shall be presumed to be an absolute gift; this presumption may be rebutted by proving that the ring was given on the condition, express or implied, that it should be returned if the marriage did not take place for any reason.

Although it seems unfair, this means that unless there was an agreement to return the engagement ring if the wedding is cancelled -- which a court could imply if the ring is a family heirloom -- a cheating fiancé/fiancée is under no obligation to return the ring.
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2012
Will I get a certificate from ACCA for answering this?
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2012
but still the statement u made and what the legislation say are 2 different things
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 21, 2012
blink182: Will I get a certificate from ACCA for answering this?
has any one ever recieved a certificate from ACCA for answering anything on NL angry
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by RudySmith(m): 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2012
mondi_cheeks: but still the statement u made and what the legislation say are 2 different things

I replied ur post and attached a statement to corroborate my claim, u should have added 1+1 to make it a beautiful 2, instead u got stuck @ 1, and blaming me for that, kai!
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 21, 2012
nvm
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by sweetcheecks(f): 6:47pm On Nov 21, 2012
mondi_cheeks: if you have a relationship with someone for a few years, you get engaged, you both maintain each other even where there is no obligation to do so.you sell your own property with the intention to buy new property with your fiance/fiancee. some of the money you use it or wedding preparations, you bought the wedding rings, you paid for the honeymoon. a month before the wedding he/she breaks off the engage because he/she fell for someone else...would u sue for breach of promise to marry or would u just let it go without a fight? if so, give grounds u would base it on

SUE HIM FOR EVERY CENT PLUS DAMAGES!!! IF the law allows it, then there is nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2012
sweetcheecks:

SUE HIM FOR EVERY CENT PLUS DAMAGES!!! IF the law allows it, then there is nothing wrong with it.
Smart move

1 Like

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by DExplorer1: 7:17am On Nov 22, 2012
It's only in western nations people make huge money from things like this. Sueing in that context isn't a Nigerian thing. Just let go, get healing and move on.
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 7:20am On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:
It's only in western nations people make huge money from things like this. Sueing in that context isn't a Nigerian thing. Just let go, get healing and move on.
Well, if you had an option of suing, would you?
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by DExplorer1: 7:25am On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
Well, if you had an option of suing, would you?
I won't! I detest revenge but if i wanna be mad i'd set her up, she's doom!!!
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by chronique(m): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2012
....*yawns*.... Think I need to go back to bed. #Boring....
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 7:36am On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:

I won't! I detest revenge but if i wanna be mad i'd set her up, she's doom!!!
Well that's you. I would rather have fun with the court case

1 Like

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by DExplorer1: 7:45am On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
Well that's you. I would rather have fun with the court case
I understand man but i just won't waste my time hitting back at a lady that's gone. The court thing could be to "punish" her but what if you got a turn-tables grin
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 7:48am On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:

I understand man but i just won't waste my time hitting back at a lady that's gone. The court thing could be to "punish" her but what if you got a turn-tables grin
I am on the assumption that I did not cheat, and she just saw her old BF and left.

1 Like

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by mej67: 7:58am On Nov 22, 2012
mondi_cheeks: point of correction an engagement is an AGREEMENT entered into by 2 people to conclude a civil marriage or partnership within reasonable time. it can be CONTRACTED orally or verbally. but the payments would not have been made if there was not reasonable belief that a marriage would be entered into on a determinable future date...

Point correction Mondi (due respect), above is yet a contract. Still an offer to deal. Reason: offer (to marry) and acceptancee =engagement and will only become a contract when the neceessary condition of consideration is fulfilled. In africa, d bride price plus other condiments, in modern world -signing d dotted lines (following delivery of all u both agreed to bring into d union -mortgage, car, bank acct, etc.)
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by DExplorer1: 8:00am On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
I am on the assumption that I did not cheat, and she just saw her old BF and left.
We don't always win in court. One thing about cases like that is the "unheard" revelations that accompany it even when it's false yet with evidence(s) and if you dealing with a girl that likes to play-it-dirty, the mud gonna be sinking the supposed victim at the end. Just hope your lawyer is good because you'd wish you never started. But for me, i'd let it slide not for fear but she aint worth my days in court.
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 8:10am On Nov 22, 2012
mej67:

Point correction Mondi (due respect), above is yet a contract. Still an offer to deal. Reason: offer (to marry) and acceptancee =engagement and will only become a contract when the neceessary condition of consideration is fulfilled. In africa, d bride price plus other condiments, in modern world -signing d dotted lines (following delivery of all u both agreed to bring into d union -mortgage, car, bank acct, etc.)
In some countries, an engagement is an agreement to marry, and thats what the OP is using....

In some countries too, if you live with a partner for more than six months, that person has the right to half your properties just as though you were married and it is an AFRICAN country
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 8:11am On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:

We don't always win in court. One thing about cases like that is the "unheard" revelations that accompany it even when it's false yet with evidence(s) and if you dealing with a girl that likes to play-it-dirty, the mud gonna be sinking the supposed victim at the end. Just hope your lawyer is good because you'd wish you never started. But for me, i'd let it slide not for fear but she aint worth my days in court.
As I said earlier, I will do it just to have fun, it is not a criminal case, its a civil one and I can decide to drop it at anytime.
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by DExplorer1: 8:18am On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
As I said earlier, I will do it just to have fun, it is not a criminal case, its a civil one and I can decide to drop it at anytime.
*thinking aloud* Mynd no one have fun with court cases o
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 8:24am On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:

*thinking aloud* Mynd no one have fun with court cases o
When it stops being fun, you know its time to let go.
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by DExplorer1: 8:31am On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
When it stops being fun, you know its time to let go.
Hahaha, something like out-of-court settlement or "he's no longer interested in the case" grin She wins
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 8:48am On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:

Hahaha, something like out-of-court settlement or "he's no longer interested in the case" grin She wins
As I said earlier, its not about winning, but ruffling some feathers
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by vivianc(f): 9:25am On Nov 22, 2012
This is possible in Nigeria as well, just that we are ignorant of it. Nigeria practice Received English Law.........it is made up of Common Law, Doctrine of Equity and Statute of General Application. And the principles of law that deal with this case is common law which is also a source of Nigerian law.

This is a good case, all you need is a good lawyer......it is all about who presents a better argument to the jury.

@Mej67: Immediately the promisor made the offer and the promisee accepted, a contract has come into existence and it is biding.

1 Like

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by DExplorer1: 9:46am On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
As I said earlier, its not about winning, but ruffling some feathers
Nah! Ego is in question here, you both gonna be spending on court issue and who opted seem the coward.
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:

Nah! Ego is in question here, you both gonna be spending on court issue and who opted seem the coward.
lets say the gift was in form of property. if u guys bought a house and u moved in together, then the engagement is broken. she insists on keeping the house since her name is also on the deeds (without paying u your half), you wouldnt take the matter to court?

1 Like

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 7:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
D-Explorer:

more like ruffle some feathers
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by BlackBaron: 7:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
Dragged to court because one refused to marry...? shocked grin
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
You can sue.
On one hand I would want to - just to teach him a lesson, but eeep...
On the other hand, I wouldn't bother and would thank my lucky stars I found out who he is before marrying the nuisance.
Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Mynd44: 7:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
BlackBaron: Dragged to court because one refused to marry...? shocked grin
Yes ke

1 Like

Re: Breach Of Promise To Marry by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
arrgggg i pray it does not happen to me. to answer the question, i would sue him to court ASAP undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Relationship With Women Pls Help / Photo: Meet The Nigerian Lady That Slept With Over 600 Men In One Year / Groom Cries During Wedding Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.