Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship (6216 Views)

Where Is Your Relationship Headed? Tell Yourself The Truth!!! / When Parents Oppose Your Relationship? / Your Parents Oppose Your Engagement ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by goosebumps: 10:12am On Dec 03, 2012
Ur dating a guy who means the world to u, everthing u ever want in a man and from all indications he feels the same way about u.

But ur family does not accept him cos of the part of the country he comes from, given their experiences with people from that area.

His people do not accept u based on looks, and status.

Would u let go of the relationship because maybe God is using this people to save u from a life of misery or would u keep at it cos its ur chance at being happy?

1 Like

Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by k2039: 10:24am On Dec 03, 2012
It's pointless going into marriage when both families involved do not agree with the relationship.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Onegai(f): 10:40am On Dec 03, 2012
Sometimes, it might be instinct making both families say no and it's best to let it go. But sometimes, it's just pride and prejudice causing wahala. You should pray about it, both you and the guy and try seek God's will. I've seen both sides of the coin, and you can never tell. But don't do anything stupid to force anyone's hand, like get pregnant.

3 Likes

Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Atandav: 12:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
Wetin remain again?
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by DANILSA(m): 12:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
IF BOTH FAMILIES DISAGREE THEN RUN FOR YOUR DEAR LIFE, IF NOT UR PLANNING YOUR EARLY EXIT ON EARTH.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by ikachi1: 12:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
The words of our elders are words of wisdom. They have seen something you may not have seen but the onus is on them convince you. I would be all ears to what they have to say.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by mrrock: 12:56pm On Dec 03, 2012
It all depend on who you are and how old. I for one wouldn't allow my family to have a say on who I marry cause the mariage is for myself not them.

1 Like

Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by adora4u1: 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
RUN!!! Keep walking, keep moving, keep going, don't stop, just RUN!!!
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by salafiyy: 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
DANILSA: IF BOTH FAMILIES DISAGREE THEN RUN FOR YOUR DEAR LIFE, IF NOT UR PLANNING YOUR EARLY EXIT ON EARTH.
you're rite
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
The only reason why I would quit a relationship is if I don't like him anymore. Aside from that, hmmmm
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
Its hard, but u just have to let go.

If d hubby dies..... D woman becomes lost wit her kids....

If d woman dies, d man is called a kidnapper/murderer.

This is because, he hasn't performed marriage rites.. Due to his parents not backing him, or her parents not suPporting/consenting!
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
ikachi1: The words of our elders are words of wisdom. They have seen something you may not have seen but the onus is on them convince you. I would be all ears to what they have to say.
What did they see? They have to give me an authentic reason. Not just "we don't like him because he is from......"
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by 3direct: 1:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
Run cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by nairalady(f): 1:02pm On Dec 03, 2012
mrrock: It all depend on who you are and how old. I for one wouldn't allow my family to have a say on who I marry cause the mariage is for myself not them.
i agree with u 100%
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by djeezy(m): 1:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
This case is usually frustrating expecially when both families are opposing and you're both in love. Sometimes this situation leads the parties with two choices, to part ways or to elope. So you need to ask yourself some introspective questions like, what does these people see that I do not? Is this marriage bound to fail? There's an old adage which says that " what an elder sees while sitting, a child cannot see it while standing''. Some people may say "our marriage will prevail against all odds, no matter what sayest our families or the gods" hmmmmn, obviously in love. So my point is, never go ahead with a marriage you have no blessing or support from your families.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Mynd44: 1:08pm On Dec 03, 2012
k2039: It's pointless going into marriage when both families involved do not agree with the relationship.
Is it the family that are getting married or the guy and the girl? Get your head out of the fix, the business of marriage is between the husband and wife everyone else is an outsider, a baggage

1 Like

Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Aafulenu(f): 1:14pm On Dec 03, 2012
its not adviseable to get married without ur families concent. the best tin to do here is to part ways.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Abali1(m): 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2012
It's quite painful, but if you do think you both can weather the storm hang on... but if one person is reluctant to dig in and fight... then you let go.

Hapiness is what I seek and hapiness is what I will fight for, family opposition or not.

I have been there and I can tell you letting go without that fight, will bring regrets of "what if"

1 Like

Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by greatgod2012(f): 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2012
Apply wisdom!
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
My life my choice. Those are dumb reason. More like my grandma disliking my ex Romanian gf because she refused to eat slummy soup aka okra soup thereby turning into overnight racist. Smh
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by gistme24(m): 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2012
I have a colleague who had a similar experience with yours, but she stood firm because her pastor told her the man in question was the man for her, else she would have bolted for her life, she said. She later found out that the fire was being fanned by some induviduals with vested interest. The husband's family later apologized and accepted her, they are married and expecting a baby girl right now.
SO : pray about this, it works; and its YOUR LIFE! I would rather make a mistake by my actions and learn from it, than have people lead me into one!

5 Likes

Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Wendyslim(f): 1:24pm On Dec 03, 2012
Just quit a better option is waiting
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Abali1(m): 1:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
gistme24:
SO : pray about this, it works; and its YOUR LIFE! I would rather make a mistake by my actions and learn from it, than have people lead me into one!

This is the best advice. Op, you are responsible for your actions. No one else will share the same amount of sorrow or happiness with you.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Abali1(m): 1:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Wendyslim: Just quit a better option is waiting

She should just quit, after meeting her soul mate. So that tomorrow, when things start going wrong she will start wishing "what if it had been this person that I got married to"

Op, you can quit... But why quit now.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2012
Bumps
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by hardbody: 2:00pm On Dec 03, 2012
goosebumps: Ur dating a guy who means the world to u, everthing u ever want in a man and from all indications he feels the same way about u.

But ur family does not accept him cos of the part of the country he comes from, given their experiences with people from that area.

Would u let go of the relationship because maybe God is using this people to save u from a life of misery or would u keep at it cos its ur chance at being happy?

On things of emotion such as this, follow your mind. You can never be wrong and if you ever think you are wrong, think again, because you can never go wrong. Its your joy or sorrow, in either case, you lap it up and live with it, Just you, NO ONE ELSE.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 03, 2012
It's difficult and painful especially after quitting and it's taking you so long to find another person you love like your Ex.

I would have asked you to hang on and fight but in your case it isnt one family that said NO rather both families said NO, so listen to them.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Kassidy90(m): 2:05pm On Dec 03, 2012
Is like this thread is for me, pls I av a similar issue @ hand nw, I love the girl very much n her family takes as if am their son, bt my parent especially my mum didn't want me to settle down with her because we are family friends n my mum said the girl was too stubborn when she was younger also she knew some guys she has dated b4, bt I dnt see all these as enough excuse, or mayb she's hiding something for me.... The funniest thing is that I jst recovered from similar scenario bt in a reverse state where my mum like d girl bt her family didn't want me, pls pple wat can I do coz am kind of tired of all dis relationship tinz....
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by Onasa22: 2:15pm On Dec 03, 2012
Please, wear canvass and run
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by uyiekpenm(f): 2:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
Op pls do not go into a marriage without the blessing of ur parents. Marriage is not a bed of roses. Its easier when ur dating. Reality sets in when u r finally married.
Listen to ur parents. Do not rush into marriage.
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by toriade: 2:34pm On Dec 03, 2012
Re: When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship by dasparrow: 2:42pm On Dec 03, 2012
goosebumps: Ur dating a guy who means the world to u, everthing u ever want in a man and from all indications he feels the same way about u.

If I were you, I will pray and let God tell me what to do. You do not want to marry into a family that does not want you, trust me. If tomorrow your husband begins to beat you, where will you run to in order to report him?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Friendship And Relationship? / 10 Hilarious Ways Ladies Behave When Guys Accidentally See Them Unclad / The Theory Of female Attraction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.