Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,006 members, 7,953,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:04 AM

Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? (14851 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Urgent advice needed; Which Course Should I Do BOSIET OR IWCF? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by ZE: 10:10pm On Dec 19, 2012
djeezy: A lawyer is not paid to know the truth. A lawyer is paid to defend his client(s). This is done through conciliation, findings of fact and findings of law. Both counsels canvasses the law vis-à-vis the case at hand and this is done before an impartial arbiter who is the Judge who presides over the case. I'm a lawyer and I see nothing wrong in the profession. @topic, any course I don't want my kids to study, I'll give them my reasons why I don't want them to study it and if they are still obstinate and recalcitrant as to that effect, then I'll let them study whatever they wish forthwith and let them exercise their volition. There's a misconception I'll love to address, it is forsooth as a result of sheer ignorance, NOT all lawyers are LIARS, we have true christian lawyers.. saying that all lawyers lie will amount to a fallacious statement.

As long as you appear in the law court and practice the legal profession. fully, you must lie. its just the nature of the profession. christian or not. stop deceiving yourself.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by babeface3: 10:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
If I had been left to study journalism that I wanted, I know I would have been greater than I am as a lawyer smiley but God be praised above. However, I would have been very miserable if I had read medicine grin One good thing about law is the versatility; its a great noble profession where you can even work as Engineer, ask me how
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
Wallie:

I surely have no doubt that such people do exist but they're few and far between; however, I can't speak to Kalu's wealth in particular. I think I read an article awhile ago that said he got his start from commodities just like Dangote?
Pls,its aint true at all! But lets not derail d thread.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by dejijohns(m): 10:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
My Mum wanted me to study medicine nd surgery, why ma Dad want'd me to study Computer Engr. Buh I tld dem its eida Chem. Engr or Industrial Chemistry, xo glad dey allowed me. Xo I'l allow ma kids 2mak dir own choices...
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Vincent41(m): 11:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
KiksAsso: Hi Nairalanders,

I was discussing with my Hubby few days ago and the above question cropped up. He just smiled and said any course apart from Law. When I probed further, he said most Lawyers tend to be great liars by profession even when the truth is very glaring, they still keep manipulating and turning issues around all in the name of defending their clients.

Share yours and let's know the reason(s).

chemical science....lol
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Bj5all(m): 11:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
there are some courses that u have passion for but are irrelevant in labour market in nigeria while there are odas that u have to develop passion for 4 u 2 b relevant. nigeria is becoming more dynamic and some courses need rebranding for their service to b relevant in naija, trust me, naija university ain't ready for the rebranding. so why follow ur passion that will make u irrelevant to the world when u can develop passion for relevant courses. BE wise.

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by IdiAmin2(m): 11:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
None at all, if they have passion for anything and have the desire and drive, I will encourage whatever, fashion designing, arts, whatever as long as it is what makes them happy.

I studied medicine, because both my parents are doctors. I have it with a passion, practised for less than 2 years and dumped it, can't see myself doing that all my life.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 12:11am On Dec 20, 2012
Messilo: go back to ss1 and change to science. after secondary school read medicine in order to secure job with good pay easily bye
You and i know that it aint possible am besides i dont have scientific mind.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 20, 2012
fellowben:

Candid advice! do go and re-write your SSCE or GCE ensure you make your maths give it all your best, you could also improve in the other subjects. go for the Accountancy of your choice, losing a year is no big deal, you'll understand after you graduate and in the labour market. it's not who graduated first that makes it first in life, at a point it will not matter anymore. avoid the temptation of reading just any course.
I've been there and worn the shirt! after my secondary school, I couldn't bear not gaining admision imediately so I put in for Pub Admin/Pol Science so I would avoid maths. did some arts courses. God mercifully did not grant me the admision even when I tried the second time. at the third trial I angrily put in for Accountancy and got it. I added ICAN and ACIT to it. and today I am very well, mind you, many folks who rushed in to read some irrelevant courses and graduated quite early are very much in the labour market. to God be the glory, I've never really searched for jobs, as I make my pick and choice. be wise. write your GCE again.
Thanks for the advice. but my main purpose of going to school is to get my B.sc just to join the elites in the society. i have great plans but i just want to be educated thank once again.

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by hypergig(m): 1:09am On Dec 20, 2012
FOR THOSE THAT AV INCLUDED PHILOSOPHY AS THE MOST APPALING COURSE THEY WUD'NT WANT THEIR KIDS STUDYING...AM QUITE SURE THAT THEY ARE IGNORANT OF THE FACT THAT IT'S D BEDROCK OF ALL ODA COURSES.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 20, 2012
all i can say is none, if people maximally utilize the knowledge gained from whatever they studied, they will never be stranded in their respective careers both financially and otherwise.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by adefash(m): 2:38am On Dec 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Yes, really.
It's their life to live, not mine. I am already living mine.
So long as I am able to teach them how to be responsible and make something of their lives. How they go about it is going to be entirely up to them.
you know sometimes you apreciate ur parents for forcing into doing something u did not ordinarily want to do? Your children,@ a particular point in time,do not know as much as they think they know. You have to drive them with coresponding force needed SOMETIMES. They are our future.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by adefash(m): 2:39am On Dec 20, 2012
hyper gig: FOR THOSE THAT AV INCLUDED PHILOSOPHY AS THE MOST APPALING COURSE THEY WUD'NT WANT THEIR KIDS STUDYING...AM QUITE SURE THAT THEY ARE IGNORANT OF THE FACT THAT IT'S D BEDROCK OF ALL ODA COURSES.
na so den teach u for school na!

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by mummymax(f): 3:13am On Dec 20, 2012
I wouldn't oppose to a child choosing d course he wants but he must get his first degree then if he want to learn trade he can add that to the first degree. I av a friend who was force to study mathematics because they don't want to forfeit the admission she ended up with a pass after studying for 7 years she blames her parents for it. these are her words what can I do with a pass they made me waste these years for nothing they destroyed me. I wanted to study medicine
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by KoladeArow(m): 6:43am On Dec 20, 2012
Thats the mistake most parents are making now. The fact remains any course of study the young lad is having in mind just let him/her go for it. Gone are the days people have grudges against proffessions, THIS IS 20TH CENTURY FOR GOD SAKE WAKE UP!!!
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by ektbear: 6:48am On Dec 20, 2012
Kolade Arow: Thats the mistake most parents are making now. The fact remains any course of study the young lad is having in mind just let him/her go for it. Gone are the days people have grudges against proffessions, THIS IS 20TH CENTURY FOR GOD SAKE WAKE UP!!!

Some courses lead to poverty, unemployment, underemployment.

Has nothing to do with grudge

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Magicdon(m): 7:22am On Dec 20, 2012
How Do I Burn My Lost Phone With The IMEI Serial Number? I lost my phone I tried burning it by sending the serial number to the same serial the message refused to send. I sent it with mtn sim, it dint send, tellin me message failed. Then, I sent it wit my etisalat it got sent, but told me not delivered n they deducted 15naira from my etisalat airtime
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Mrskillz1(f): 8:04am On Dec 20, 2012
Any ART related course!
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by dharmzie18(f): 8:23am On Dec 20, 2012
I dnt see any reason why a parent should choose a course 4 his/her child...children AV a mind of dere own nd If u force any1 2 study wat he/she dosen't lyk,DAT child is going 2 end up resenting u nd I dnt see any reason why a child cannot study law,law is a noble profession nd I am a law student nd I enjoy every bit of it nd FYI,lawyers are not liars...without d law nd d judiciary(lawyers etc)dere wouldn't be law nd order..I REST MY CASE wink.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by ayandee: 8:47am On Dec 20, 2012
My children will study whatever catches their fancy. However, each of them MUST have a vocation in addition to any paper qualification- furniture work (interior decor) and fashion designing come to mind. I don't mind spending a fortune by sending them to d best vocational training school in the world.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by vanstanzy(m): 9:30am On Dec 20, 2012
Theater arts and hotel management. Theatre arts, because in the movie industry ladies especially have to sleep with all the directors before she makes a big break. Hotel management, cos of the rate of sexual immorality in that Tourism industry.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by vanstanzy(m): 9:34am On Dec 20, 2012
Magicdon: How Do I Burn My Lost Phone With The IMEI Serial Number? I lost my phone I tried burning it by sending the serial number to the same serial the message refused to send. I sent it with mtn sim, it dint send, tellin me message failed. Then, I sent it wit my etisalat it got sent, but told me not delivered n they deducted 15naira from my etisalat airtime

Eyaah sorry. Having ur phone stolen can be very painful. But all this cheap thieves wey dey steal phone, God dey watch una. This life or next, u must deliver the stolen phone to the owner.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 20, 2012
KiksAsso: Hi Nairalanders,

I was discussing with my Hubby few days ago and the above question cropped up. He just smiled and said any course apart from Law. When I probed further, he said most Lawyers tend to be great liars by profession even when the truth is very glaring, they still keep manipulating and turning issues around all in the name of defending their clients.

Share yours and let's know the reason(s).
Law for sure...cos I'm a lawyer and I have seen it all..its only the nobility in the profession that is outstanding...
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Andybaby: 9:55am On Dec 20, 2012
Philosophy and psychology. It almost made someone I know mental
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Uniquexty(f): 10:03am On Dec 20, 2012
Kolade Arow: THIS IS 20TH CENTURY FOR GOD SAKE WAKE UP!!!
wonderful. 20th century?
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by mysticgal(f): 10:14am On Dec 20, 2012
i was at home for 3 years, why no LAW NO UNIVERSITY,NO GO SCHOOL,DISOWNED.I MEAN SHARPALY
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Mightyify(m): 10:45am On Dec 20, 2012
please, can u guys help me name d courses that isnt in much demand in the labour market? Is English Language part of it?
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by debonair99: 10:55am On Dec 20, 2012
wengerjay: There is no future in any profession,the future is in the hands of an individual dat holds a profession.
EOD nice1 you definately nailed it sir.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by chessguru1(m): 11:03am On Dec 20, 2012
No Qualms:

That's unfair. You should have allowed the young man go for his choice.
We actually didn't pick any profession for him. J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ made him go for one with a less occupational hazard index
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by PromixTuhh(m): 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2012
Food Science and Technology
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by peeceelove(m): 1:47pm On Dec 20, 2012
A no! no!! no!!! for ISLAMIC ENGINEERING
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by since1914(m): 2:42pm On Dec 20, 2012
My candid opinion is that the Universities need to scale-down by at least 50 percent, the number of graduates she is churning out these days. Because as we speak now we have enough white collar graduates to fill-up the available job positions ten times and over.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said of 'Blue-Collar' or technical jobs. there is a huge deficit in technical manpower across diverse fields, from the building industry, to oil and even shipping. Naturally, we would have expected companies to step in by recruiting and training their own technical workforce, but unfortunately not all companies have the patience to take this route. That is why most foreign companies prefer to fly in their own set of technical workmen.

We permanently need to set aside the thinking that a University certificate is always superior to hands-on technical Education. What matters most is what you actually do with your acquired knowledge rather just the knowledge itself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

More Than 5000 Nigeria-trained Medical Doctors Practise In Us’ / My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? / Dilemma: Advise From Experienced Bankers Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.