Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,838 members, 7,862,750 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:38 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (2396) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (11078429 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2393) (2394) (2395) (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) ... (7818) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 20, 2017
Everywhere OFFER!is the market correcting!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Intendy: 1:18pm On Jun 20, 2017
ihedioramma:
Access Bank has now taken over
the management of telecommunication company, Etisalat Nigeria.
Besides Access Bank, other local
and foreign banks are said to be part of the takeover of the telecommunication company which takes effect from June 15. The take-over came as a result of
a futile effort by Emerging Markets Telecommunications Services, EMTS, promoted by- one time Chairman, United Bank for Africa, UBA, Hakeem Bello- Osagie, to reach agreement with the banks on debt restructuring plan in the protracted $1.72 billion (about N541.8 billion) debt impasse. However, EMTS Holding BV, established in the Netherlands, has up to June 23 to complete the transfer of 100 percent of the company’s shares in Etisalat to the United Capital Trustees Limited, the legal representative of the consortium of banks.
Etisalat Group, the parent company of Etisalat Nigeria, announced the takeover on Tuesday in a letter filed to the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirate .

for the present bull run it is bad
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by rahjan: 1:24pm On Jun 20, 2017
Intendy:

so far you bought after qualification pls take your mind off the #417.12k.
Then you are with a spoon they are with a shovel eating from the same plate.
if you can endure no wahala but they'll dictate the way you eat even with your small size spoo
Thank you very much
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ExLaidback: 1:32pm On Jun 20, 2017
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stcool(m): 1:33pm On Jun 20, 2017
Intendy:

for the present bull run it is bad

It would have been a perfect opportunity for the government to take over and list the company on the NSE, but greedy banks would not let it go forward. Watch how they would mess up the company and start diverting contracts and fill in positions for their selfish benefits.

Where is NCC when you need them the most?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Intendy: 1:42pm On Jun 20, 2017
stcool:

It would have been a perfect opportunity for the government to take over and list the company on the NSE, but greedy banks would not let it go forward. Watch how they would mess up the company and start diverting contracts and fill in positions for their selfish benefits.

The bank have no expertise to run the telecom company like you've rightly said.
but let's watch.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Princkez: 2:01pm On Jun 20, 2017
some one is busy loading Transcorp... shocked
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by makashava(m): 2:04pm On Jun 20, 2017
sellydion:
There was cause for celebration Monday, when the federal government issued its first diaspora bond in the international capital market, raising the sum of $300 million at coupon rate of 5.625 per cent for a tenor of five years.

The Director General of the Debt Management Office (DMO), Dr. Abraham Nwankwo, explained in a statement Monday that the diaspora bond, which was 130 per cent subscribed, was targeted principally at Nigerians abroad, to provide them with the opportunity to contribute to national development.

According to Nwankwo, the bond was structured as a retail instrument to appeal to a wide range of investors and was offered through private banks and wealth managers, rather than institutional investors, which normally deal in large volume transactions.

He revealed that there was considerable interest from investors from all over the world, with the issue attracting initial orders of about 190 per cent of the offered amount.
Final subscriptions were about 130 per cent of offer at the final price for the transaction.
“The diaspora bond has opened a new source of financing for the Federal Government of Nigeria for funding projects for the development of the country.

“This new window further enhances funding liquidity and flexibility of the Nigerian economy, which are necessary characteristics as the country gathers momentum towards the attainment of advanced economy status,” he said.
Nigeria is the first African country to issue a bond targeted at retail investors in the United States, a market highly regulated by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (U.S. SEC).

The only previous U.S. SEC registration for an African country was targeted at institutional investors.
The issuance of a bond registered by the U.S. SEC provides an opportunity to access a wide range of investors, Nwankwo explained.
With this development, Nigeria can now routinely access funds from private banks and wealth managers in the U.S. and European markets: this opportunity is not available to other developing countries that have only issued Eurobonds.

Reacting to the successful debt raising, the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, said: “To have received the approval of the U.S. SEC was indicative that the highest level of transparency and accountability in the economic process has been attained.”
She explained that the bond should positively impact the country’s credit rating, transparency rating and financial market development index rating.

“The Diaspora Bond is the first bond issued by an African sovereign registered with both the U.S. SEC and the United Kingdom Listing Authority (UKLA) and targeted at retail investors,” she stressed.

With the successful issuance of the debut Diaspora Bond, Nigeria will establish a programme for raising funds from Nigerians and Friends of Nigeria in Diaspora, as an avenue for continuous participation in the development of the economy.
Market experts also hailed the move by the country, pointing out that Nigeria was able to raise the sum under the very restricted U.S. retail market.

This, according to experts, opened new window for programmed sourcing of diaspora funds.
“Unlike the Eurobond which restricts you to only institutional investors, to be authorised by U.S. and European regulators to issue a retail product means you can now approach wealth managers and private banks. In short, you have no more real restrictions,” one analyst who preferred not to be named, explained.

The international Joint Lead Managers to the issue were Bank of America Merrill Lynch and the Standard Bank of South Africa Limited.
The Nigerian Joint Lead Managers were First Bank of Nigeria Limited and United Bank for Africa Plc.
Prior to its issuance, the presidential aide for foreign affairs and diaspora, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, had urged all Nigerians to take advantage of the first ever diaspora offer by buying into the bond.

She said her office and Nigerians in the diaspora were excited about the offer, adding that it was a unique way of lubricating the interest of Nigerians abroad to participate in the development projects being carried out by the Muhammadu Buhari administration.

Preparatory to the debt issuance, Nwankwo had led the federal government delegation, comprising officials of the DMO, Ministry of Finance, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), and the Budget Office of the Federation on investor roadshows that took place in major cities of the world, including London, New York, Miami and Geneva.
this is a postive news pronouncement to cause uptrend in the economy. Fundamentals will determine what next.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stokfrick: 2:08pm On Jun 20, 2017
this bear is good for business undecided
it should be more serious than this!! undecided
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by zendi: 2:08pm On Jun 20, 2017
stcool:

List a loss spinning company?

Will NCC give the banks their money?

Public money is not for flushing down into corporate cesspits.

They should quickly sell the network to Mike amd his glo.

Or if Access Bank chooses to 'ruin' it themselves, we'll still have glo and mtn to make our calls.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ExLaidback: 2:08pm On Jun 20, 2017
ExLaidback:
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/234571-breaking-n541-billion-debt-access-bank-others-take-over-etisalat-nigeria.html

&

This is a big win for the lenders in this case and so reasonably good for their mid to long term stock price. I'm speaking as an outsider.

This is simply because, Etisalat didn't run into a blind spot because of bad profitability or operations per se. It found itself in this bind primarily because it was unlucky to have taken a dollar denominated loan shortly before the dollar was devalued. Right? So the company by and large is profitable - especially now that they no longer have to pay interest on the loan since it has been converted to equity.

So in the interim the lenders have a source of cash flow while they scout around for new buyers (note that they are not likely to hold onto Etisalat since they don't necessarily have the expertise to manage it). They're also likely to sell it at a profit. (since as i said above, I believe that Etisalat is still a profitable company).

The point I'm making in essence is this would have been an entirely different story IF Etisalat's indebtedness was due only to poor management and not unfortunate circumstances.

So the major losers in this deal are the previous owners who've lost hold of the company.

However my take as outlined above only holds if the new owners allow the current management to manage the business without undue interference and so on, unfortunately this is Naija...So I might be wrong

Update: Apparently Etisalat has been declaring losses over the last few years. Shocking. Bad management?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Bianco1: 2:14pm On Jun 20, 2017
stcool:

This is excatly my anger with most of this CEO'S, investors go through hell with them and when light starts to show up they start unbundling the company gradually for their selfish benefits. Leaving the empty can to small investors.

Look at what WALE is doing @Oando after raising so much from investors he keeps diluting their shares and divesting major revenue generating businesses. Why on earth would Oando divest its downstream assets to Helios

The least I expected them to do was sell to existing shareholders at the same price Helios was willing to pay, and list it as a separate entity on the stock exchange. You can't quantify what Oando share holders has gone through in the last 5 years.

If Tony is towing the same line, time will tell.

Yes really annoying...sorry to say but this makes it sometimes frustrating to invest in companies with our people as CEO's as instead of making money for shareholders they make people lose their hard earned money and really don't care about it! Check Japaul, RT Briscoe, UTC, etc promising companies but been milked dry.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stcool(m): 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2017
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/202746-panamapapers-secret-assets-of-etisalat-chairman-hakeem-belo-osagie-uncovered-in-tax-haven.html

Mr. Belo-Osagie’s father, Professor Sunmonu Belo-Osagie, was the gynecologist to the family of former Nigerian military president, Ibrahim Babangida. His family’s connections with the military in the 1980s was a springboard for his appointments as a Special Assistant to the Presidential Adviser on Petroleum and Energy and later as Special Assistant to the Minister of Petroleum and Energy, positions he admitted in interviews opened for him his first road to fortune.

In 1998, he acquired a controlling stake in UBA and became the bank’s Chairman. But the businessman, who is one of the sponsors of a new $120 million shopping mall currently being developed in Jabi Lake Abuja, was in 2004 forced out of UBA by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) following a complaint by US authorities.
In 2002, UBA, under Mr. Belo-Osagie, became the focus of a CBN probe over money laundering and foreign exchange abuses.

This Bello seems to be a bad business Man, but going by news available we need to find out what Etisalat did with the loan. Nigerian Mangers are very funny set of people.

Am I shocked hearing Adenuga is interested in Etisalat... grin You can point to the single denominator.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by fxuser: 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2017
Livestock
- 90 kobo support held for days
- SP above 50dma
- weekly RSI breaking to 3 yr high
- growing bids
- daily looks like ascending triangle
- needs to test recent high and brk with volume

dis:
not a fan of the liquidity behaviour

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by fxuser: 2:27pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nbrew
- we remain bullish
- posted the inv H&S prev wt d brk above 150 entry !
- SP broke 52 week highs
- more to come

Note:
this stock is very slow and defensive.
Good for buy and hold type of investors for ''now''
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by OBAGADAFFI: 2:28pm On Jun 20, 2017
ExLaidback:

This is a big win for the lenders in this case and so reasonably good for their mid to long term stock price. I'm speaking as an outsider.

This is simply because, Etisalat didn't run into a blind spot because of bad profitability or operations per se. It found itself in this bind primarily because it was unlucky to have taken a dollar denominated loan shortly before the dollar was devalued. Right? So the company by and large is profitable - especially now that they no longer have to pay interest on the loan since it has been converted to equity.

So in the interim the lenders have a source of cash flow while they scout around for new buyers (note that they are not likely to hold onto Etisalat since they don't necessarily have the expertise to manage it). They're also likely to sell it at a profit. (since as i said above, I believe that Etisalat is still a profitable company).

The point I'm making in essence is this would have been an entirely different story IF Etisalat's indebtedness was due only to poor management and not unfortunate circumstances.

So the major losers in this deal are the previous owners who've lost hold of the company.

However my take as outlined above only holds if the new owners allow the current management to manage the business without undue interference and so on, unfortunately this is Naija...So I might be wrong

Can banks run the Telecoms business well ? NO.

Access bank, might looking for a strategic investor to buy Etisalat .

Adenuga ? Hell no

Dangote probably.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by fxuser: 2:30pm On Jun 20, 2017
FO
- still long term bearish
- watch for support ard 45'ish region
- short term players be patient #wait
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by fxuser: 2:34pm On Jun 20, 2017
Zenith
- support ard N20 -N22
- lets see how fri closes

Access
- break below N10
- long over PB ! (same with penny banks and transcorp et al )
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by fxuser: 2:34pm On Jun 20, 2017
Zenith
- support ard N20 -N22
- lets see how fri closes

Access
- break below N10
- long over due PB ! (same with penny banks and transcorp et al )
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Manonamission: 2:46pm On Jun 20, 2017
ExLaidback:

This is simply because, Etisalat didn't run into a blind spot because of bad profitability or operations per se. It found itself in this bind primarily because it was unlucky to have taken a dollar denominated loan shortly before the dollar was devalued. Right? So the company by and large is profitable - especially now that they no longer have to pay interest on the loan since it has been converted to equity .

Only the parent company (Etisalat) converted to equity. Other investors are not forthcoming. Mubadala wants out. Nigerian investors group probably don't have money for bailout. Banks are not interested in the equity option, hence the reason for the take over. They want their money back.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by UkwuAmu: 2:54pm On Jun 20, 2017
Hello All
I have been going back and forth with NSE and SEC to get clarity on this Mobil/Nipco take over . I had issues in the fact that investors were misinformed and didn't make sense how a cut off date is determined before the offer period is set . I have written to SEC and they are going to commence investigation on the matter . It wasn't until i wrote that it dawned on the NSE that the information should be public notice and they only put up the information yesterday on the website . I also thought as a matter of necessity, the acceptance forms for those who qualified should have been on GTL registrars website . Apparently this whole scheme is to create some overnight millionaires at the expense of the undiscerning investor
I would advise all those who qualify to make sure they get their acceptance forms from GTL . Its just 9 days away . I am aware some people have got theirs . Do not be left out. The regulation of our market leaves much to be desired and its a shame that we reward failures with second term
A lot of malpractices have been taking place in that market for the benefit of certain people . We have old and misinformed people who represent shareholders whose main duty is to ask for bonus shares and jolly rice instead of asking serious questions. I REPEAT THE ACCEPTANCE FORM IS BEING SENT TO SELECTED INVESTORS . Be informed

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ExLaidback: 2:58pm On Jun 20, 2017
Manonamission:

Only the parent company (Etisalat) converted to equity. Other investors are not forthcoming. Mubadala wants out. Nigerian investors group probably don't have money for bailout. Banks are not interested in the equity option, hence the reason for the take over. They want their money back.

After writing my opinion above, I contacted someone to help confirm their profitability and shockingly they've declared a loss for the last three years 2015, 2014, 2013 consecutively. Increasing losses. This is quite shocking because the same person confirmed that other telecoms providers have been profitable over the same period (which is why I assumed that they were also profitable) Besides they are a connectivity service provider to where I work and their services have been pretty reliable compared to their contemporaries hence my assumption...

So your statement about Mubadala wanting out must be right. Hmmmm...shocking...
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ExLaidback: 3:02pm On Jun 20, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Can banks run the Telecoms business well ? NO.

Access bank, might looking for a strategic investor to buy Etisalat .

Adenuga ? Hell no

Dangote probably.

Yeah I already stated that they'd be more interested in selling since they don't have the sector expertise to manage the coy
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DeRuggedProf: 3:12pm On Jun 20, 2017
Manonamission:

- The head is finally off the body. I cant shout.
- This Etisalat will make Access shareholders smile in the long run.
-Loans are not designed to make borrowers rich , ESPECIALLY by Access bank. A loan from Access is like a guaranteed Cardiac Arrest certificate.
Those who borrowed from access in the past are feeling me. Wigwe no dey hear stories... grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DeRuggedProf: 3:17pm On Jun 20, 2017
fxuser:
Livestock
- 90 kobo support held for days
- SP above 50dma
- weekly RSI breaking to 3 yr high
- growing bids
- daily looks like ascending triangle
- needs to test recent high and brk with volume

dis:
not a fan of the liquidity behaviour

grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by holm: 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2017
DeRuggedProf:

- The head is finally off the body. I cant shout.
- This Etisalat will make Access shareholders smile in the long run.
-Loans are not designed to make borrowers rich , ESPECIALLY by Access bank. A loan from Access is like a guaranteed Cardiac Arrest certificate.
Those who borrowed from access in the past are feeling me. Wigwe no dey hear stories... grin
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by OBAGADAFFI: 3:35pm On Jun 20, 2017
ExLaidback:

Yeah I already stated that they'd be more interested in selling since they don't have the sector expertise to manage the coy

From experience with CDMA coys, Banks don't have that expertise.

But nobody can tell me ETISALAT or Telecoms companies don't make profits, most of their incomes are usually diverted .

Ernest Ndukwe tried enforcing corporate governance when he was the NCC EVC.

The same man is a director in Access Bank. Ironic

http://www.accessbankplc.com/pages/about-us/board/Dr-Ernest-Ndukwe,-OFR.aspx
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DeRuggedProf: 3:42pm On Jun 20, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

But nobody can tell me ETISALAT or Telecoms companies don't make profits, most of their incomes are usually diverted .

Fly don follow food enter Oven... grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by dipoolowoo: 3:43pm On Jun 20, 2017
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ExLaidback: 3:50pm On Jun 20, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Well I can't say why but I can tell you for SURE that Etisalat posted losses for the last 3 or 4 consecutive years. It's privately owned so these figures are not in the public domain. The troubling thing however is that the losses were increasing considerably y-o-y. If the losses were coming down, it would have made a lil more sense to me cos there's a period required to break even after a business starts...Anyway that's it
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by OBAGADAFFI: 3:53pm On Jun 20, 2017
DeRuggedProf:

Fly don follow food enter Oven... grin
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Bianco1: 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2017
ExLaidback:

Well I can't say why but I can tell you for SURE that Etisalat posted losses for the last 3 or 4 consecutive years. It's privately owned so these figures are not in the public domain. The troubling thing however is that the losses were increasing considerably y-o-y. If the losses were coming down, it would have made a lil more sense to me cos there's a period required to break even after a business starts...Anyway that's it

Who was the CEO and who are the major investors? Find the answers and you will know why there were loses! #SAD

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2393) (2394) (2395) (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) ... (7818) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.