Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,984 members, 7,828,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (5960) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10943050 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5957) (5958) (5959) (5960) (5961) (5962) (5963) ... (7773) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Lion123: 4:32pm On Sep 03, 2020
onegentleguy:

Maybe u haven't come accross or read it but we have always stated it here.

The reason is in the word; EFFICIENCY... which is the ability of management to generate more(net income) from less asset(mainly cash in this case)
GTB does more with fewer asset than ZENITH with a higher asset base.
The interpretation of this is that GTB as an entity can generate(NPM/RoIC) a little more Naira than ZENITH assuming they were given an equal asset base.
...put differently, assuming u gave an equal amount of fund(say N10) to both banks, the former can erk out more profit(say 20k) at a faster pace than the latter, ceteris peribus.
So by implication, if GTB can generate more in lesser time, then they are clearly more EFFICIENT !!(time value for money in view)
Thats why GTB has historically had a better ROE, AER and CGPR than ZENITH BANK !!

There's a strong level of belief attached to that part in bold. which explains why as an investor, u would likely be inclined to take up an equity stake in the former at higher pricing.
...hence the price premium between both coys.

Things might change in future though. But for now, it is what it is !! wink cheesy grin

Regards

Thanks a lot for this explanation sir.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 03, 2020
S & P VIX is now at 30.

Please leave US, EU, Asian equities now. Please.

This is an exit call to abandon foreign stocks, bitcoin, gold, oil.

VIX will need to spike to 95 ultimately.

The assets (equity, bitcoin, gold, oil) fall has started.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 03, 2020
holm:

You have sense.

And history has repeated it self today.

Black Thursday.

Asia should not open. Because there will be commotion.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 4:46pm On Sep 03, 2020
RabbiDoracle:
S & P VIX is now at 30.

Dem go hear !!

There are clear signs that when it begins to rain, it will likely pour. wink cheesy grin
Unfortunately, advise when most needed is least headed.

Btw, I will exclude BTC and Oil amongst the assets u mentioned, for good reasons though.
...the probability that both will fall with the others is nearer to 0 than 1.
The current drop in BTC was expected. But I don't see it going below the March low or even the $9-10,000 level in the near term.
As for Oil, the gradual turn in global events including increased economic activities from fewer restrictions, post covid-19 is ur friend naw. wink cheesy grin
I see oil price trending gently upwards from here.

It is well.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 03, 2020
onegentleguy:

Dem go hear !!

There are clear signs that when it begins to rain, it will likely pour. wink cheesy grin
Unfortunately, advise when most needed is least headed.

Btw, I will exclude BTC and oil amongst the assets u mentioned, for good reasons though. wink cheesy grin
...the probability that both will fall with the others is nearer to 0 than 1.

It is well.

Once there is a selloff and the algos join to intensify the sell, there are usually no buyers. At that point, there is liquidity issues. Because money isn't exchanging hands anymore. Hence the freeze.

In order for investors to settle their margins trading, they sell anything that can be sold. Gold, bitcoin, oil. Just to free up cash.

That is why when equities fall and a freeze occurs, they face other safe haven to unload them for cash.

That was why I told nosa2 that Gold will first fall massively before it will stage a comeback.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by nosa2(m): 5:06pm On Sep 03, 2020
RabbiDoracle:

Once there is a selloff and the algos join to intensify the sell, there are usually no buyers. At that point, there is liquidity issues. Because money isn't exchanging hands anymore. Hence the freeze.

In order for investors to settle their margins trading, they sell anything that can be sold. Gold, bitcoin, oil. Just to free up cash.

That is why when equities fall and a freeze occurs, they face other safe haven to unload them for cash.

That was why I told nosa2 that Gold will first fall massively before it will stage a comeback.

I'm trying to understand how gold take fall
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Tvegas(m): 5:07pm On Sep 03, 2020
I smiled when I saw some newbies trashing the NSE while hiping the NYSE. The move into the NYSE was a very risky one for investors as at July/August 2020 for two reasons.

1. Foreign exchange risk: For Nigerian investors who bought dollar at N483 in August in order to invest in NYSE, Naira has gained within one week. The losses are real.

2. The market is Overbought: It was obvious to the blind that the market was overbought as investors were just buying everything and anything. The burble will burst at some point.

This doesn't take away the fact that the NYSE is a grandpa to our own NSE but I believe timing the entry into any market is the key thing. I may not make 100% in one day in NSE but the 10% I will make in one month gives me peace.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by PharmAlfred: 5:12pm On Sep 03, 2020
Look out for FBNH. It will shock a lot of people

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 5:15pm On Sep 03, 2020
Tvegas:
I smiled when I saw some newbies trashing the NSE while hiping the NYSE. The move into the NYSE was a very risky one for investors as at July/August 2020 for two reasons.

1. Foreign exchange risk: For Nigerian investors who bought dollar at N483 in August in order to invest in NYSE, Naira has gained within one week. The losses are real.

2. The market is Overbought: It was obvious to the blind that the market was overbought as investors were just buying everything and anything. The burble will burst at some point.

This doesn't take away the fact that the NYSE is a grandpa to our own NSE but I believe timing the entry into any market is the key thing. I may not make 100% in one day in NSE but the 10% I will make in one month gives me peace.

Just choose btw 1 of these 2 names; SOLOMON and WISDOM. I have given it to u. wink cheesy grin
U might as well adopt both names. grin grin grin

Well said dear !!
Time and again, I mentioned that 1st point as one of the carrying risk with playing the intl mkt.

Unless the CBN sells more than enough fx to clear previous backlog and monitors the operations of the BDC folks to avoid arbitrage plays, I do not forsee any likely trigger for a sharp drop in Fx rate(gain in N). ...maybe it will average out at a slight premium(20-30%) to the NAFEX window rate.
However, the problem is that most folks rushed into these foriegn mkts when the exchange rate was @ near and above N470/$, on the herds projection of a N550/$ rate. ...so they'll have to pay an even higher price(risk) associated with any drop now.
For context, a person resident in Nigeria who invested $10,000 would've lost or had at least N500,000 taken off his EXPECTED RETURN following a N50 fx gain(N420/$) post investment.
By the way, that is still an expected return, as we are yet to factor in other likely risk.

Before the news that the CBN will resume dollar sales to BDCs, some folks didn't even know that it was a dangerous play buying into foreign equities while the Naira was falling against the dollar and oil price turning back up following the gradual resumption of economic activities post covid-19.
Perhaps they didn't understand the relationship btw how rising oil price and a falling Naira(especially from fx restrictions/management) could negatively impact their real return in Naira terms post an investment in a $ denominated asset.
Just wait until the country gets the $1.5B dollar world bank loan. wink cheesy grin

Again, what was of even more concern was that most of the said foreign assets lacked worthy fundamentals to justify their price rise.
We have always said that the recent surge in the stock markets of most advanced and EM economies was purely liquidity-driven pushed by the chase for yields above the negative real returns therein, and NOT the result of any fundamental stance.

U see this bubble; when it will rain, it'll surely pour.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by thesilentone(m): 5:17pm On Sep 03, 2020
RabbiDoracle:
S & P VIX is now at 30.

Exit calls for those who only know how to make money in a rising market.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mills55: 5:47pm On Sep 03, 2020
onegentleguy:

For the purpose of clarity, its important to note that the price of GTB is also UNDERVALUED at the current mkt price, so that part in bold should not take away that fact.
For context, it(that part) was only intended to compare both coys in view of their prospects at delivering returns(ROI in view)

Selah

please OGG, when is Gtb paying the interim? i mean date?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by dipoolowoo: 5:58pm On Sep 03, 2020
Zenith Bank Offers 30 Kobo Interim Dividend, Grows H1 2020 Earnings
https://businesspost.ng/banking/zenith-bank-offers-30-kobo-interim-dividend-grows-h1-2020-earnings/

FRC Tackles R.T. Briscoe Nigeria Over Auditor’s Opinion
https://businesspost.ng/economy/frc-tackles-r-t-briscoe-nigeria-over-auditors-opinion/

Guinness Nigeria to Focus Less on Lager Brands
https://businesspost.ng/economy/guinness-nigeria-to-focus-less-on-lager-brands/

Nigeria Suffers Third Consecutive Quarterly Trade Deficit
https://businesspost.ng/economy/nigeria-suffers-third-consecutive-quarterly-trade-deficit/

PZ Cussons Shareholders to Meet September 24 for Sale of Nutricima to Friesland
https://businesspost.ng/economy/pz-cussons-shareholders-to-meet-over-sale-of-nutricima-for-20-3m/

Shareholders of Mobil Oil to Get N8.50 Dividend Payment Alerts October
https://businesspost.ng/economy/shareholders-of-mobil-oil-to-get-n8-25-dividend-payment-alerts-october/

Buhari Releases 30,000 tons of Maize to Tackle High Food Prices
https://businesspost.ng/economy/buhari-releases-30000-tons-of-maize-to-tackle-high-food-prices/

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by eziokwunwoko(m): 7:54pm On Sep 03, 2020
OGG: Please what went wrong with UBA as regards drop in PBT,PAT.
What is your verdict, under/ over VALUE.
Analysis of H1 results
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Princkez: 8:14pm On Sep 03, 2020
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 8:30pm On Sep 03, 2020
E Ku Fidelity Bank result o. grin
As expected, Fide performed well.
Q2 2020 EPS : 39
Q2 2019 EPS of 29
PAT: over 34% increase.

E Ku Q2 results ooo.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by dinyelutochukwu: 9:15pm On Sep 03, 2020
RabbiDoracle:
S & P VIX is now at 30.

The streets are red.

1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by currentprice: 10:07pm On Sep 03, 2020

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by TLAX: 10:26pm On Sep 03, 2020
currentprice:
Ekuu Mkt o

http://www.nse.com.ng/Financial_NewsDocs/31376_ACCESS_BANK_PLC.-_QUARTER_2_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_.pdf

grin grin grin grin

Okay. EPS dropped about 9% from 190k to 173k. They maintained their 25 kobo dividend.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 10:41pm On Sep 03, 2020
onegentleguy:

Sorry dear,
I forgot that its half yr reports that we are expecting. wink cheesy grin

3k drop in interim divided compared to previous yr distribution.
Looking at the report, we might as well pass some of the blame on covid-19 !! Apparently, the bank had to make donations in that line as part of its CSR.
That donation of over N4.7B was indeed one of the key contributors to the higher expense line(other OPEX in view) ...the other was the surge in remittance for contract services by over N4.8B YoY.
Those 2, together with the mark-up on impaired assets and higher admin expense, explains the ~21.7% drop in NET MARGIN despite increased NII and NFCI.
Good that NIM retains a positive track though.

Drawback? Yes, but earnings trajectory remains stable.

UBA still remains UNDERVALUED at the current mkt price.

Selah
eziokwunwoko:
OGG: Please what went wrong with UBA as regards drop in PBT,PAT.
What is your verdict, under/ over VALUE.
Analysis of H1 results

The post above was in reference to UBA.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DexterousOne(m): 10:46pm On Sep 03, 2020
Tvegas:

Well said
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ukay2: 10:46pm On Sep 03, 2020
TLAX:

Okay. EPS dropped about 9% from 190k to 173k. They maintained their 25 kobo dividend.

Very good......but drop in EPS is to be considered
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 10:47pm On Sep 03, 2020
currentprice:
Ekuu Mkt o

http://www.nse.com.ng/Financial_NewsDocs/31376_ACCESS_BANK_PLC.-_QUARTER_2_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_.pdf

grin grin grin grin

Relatively flat result, but with a slight drawback.
Better than UBA though !! wink cheesy grin

While both coys(ACCESS and UBA) remain underpriced, I will score the former slightly better than the latter.
Portfolio allocation: I'd say 65/35% or 60/40% respectively.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ukay2: 10:52pm On Sep 03, 2020
onegentleguy:

Relatively flat result, but with a slight drawback.
Better than its UBA though !! wink cheesy grin

While both coys(ACCESS and UBA) remain underpriced, I will score the former slightly better than the latter.

Regards

What are the reasons you prefer ACCESS to UBA?

NB: Am in UBA bus...
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DexterousOne(m): 10:54pm On Sep 03, 2020
onegentleguy:

Just choose btw 1 of these 2 names; SOLOMON and WISDOM. I have given it to u. wink cheesy grin
U might as well adopt both names. grin grin grin

Well said dear !!
Time and again, I mentioned that 1st point as one of the carrying risk with playing the intl mkt.

Unless the CBN sells more than enough fx to clear previous backlog and monitors the operations of the BDC folks to avoid arbitrage plays, I do not forsee any likely trigger for a sharp drop in Fx rate(gain in N). ...maybe it will average out at a slight premium(20-30%) to the NAFEX window rate.
However, the problem is that most folks rushed into these foriegn mkts when the exchange rate was @ near and above N470/$, on the herds projection of a N550/$ rate. ...so they'll have to pay an even higher price(risk) associated with any drop now.
For context, a person resident in Nigeria who invested $10,000 would've lost or had at least N500,000 taken off his EXPECTED RETURN following a N50 fx gain(N420/$) post investment.
By the way, that is still an expected return, as we are yet to factor in other likely risk.

Before the news that the CBN will resume dollar sales to BDCs, some folks didn't even know that it was a dangerous play buying into foreign equities while the Naira was falling against the dollar and oil price turning back up following the gradual resumption of economic activities post covid-19.
Perhaps they didn't understand the relationship btw how rising oil price and a falling Naira(especially from fx restrictions/management) could negatively impact their real return in Naira terms post an investment in a $ denominated asset.
Just wait until the country gets the $1.5B dollar world bank loan. wink cheesy grin

Again, what was of even more concern was that most of the said foreign assets lacked worthy fundamentals to justify their price rise.
We have always said that the recent surge in the stock markets of most advanced and EM economies was purely liquidity-driven pushed by the chase for yields above the negative real returns therein, and NOT the result of any fundamental stance.

U see this bubble; when it will rain, it'll surely pour.

Regards

You have spoken well too
However, there are some fundamentally sound stocks on the market tho
That will not sink as deep as the broad index will sink

It depends on the investment objective of the prospective investor sha
Some are in it for the long game
Just buying and loading ETFs and a few other "not so sexy stocks"

But for hit and run traders
Those ones have jammed one chance
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DexterousOne(m): 11:10pm On Sep 03, 2020
thesilentone:

Exit calls for those who only know how to make money in a rising market.

So you are staying in to weather the storm....

Very nice
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 11:52pm On Sep 03, 2020
DexterousOne:

You have spoken well too
However, there are some fundamentally sound stocks on the market tho
That will not sink as deep as the broad index will sink

It depends on the investment objective of the prospective investor sha
Some are in it for the long game
Just buying and loading ETFs and a few other "not so sexy stocks"

But for hit and run traders
Those ones have jammed one chance

Very true bro. ...that's why I used that line; "most of the said foreign assets lacked worthy fundamentals to justify their price rise." in the post u quoted. wink cheesy grin
Notice the use of the word "most", implying that there are also a few assets prices that were backed by fundamentals.
Of course the likes of Amazon, Apple, Zoom, Facebook and some select healthcare coys had good reasons to justify their price rise. ...though it can also be argued that the rise was way too much(asset price trailing surrounding risk ahead of FVs)

As for the part in bold, well... wink cheesy grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sincerelymine: 11:57pm On Sep 03, 2020
Why is ETI still dragging.....its being influenced by the elephant?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Zagee: 12:34am On Sep 04, 2020
dinyelutochukwu:

The streets are red.

All that money will find it's way to the oil sector. Winter is coming grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by lancee(m): 2:50am On Sep 04, 2020
TLAX:

25k ..Nice
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by nosa2(m): 6:17am On Sep 04, 2020
RabbiDoracle:
S & P VIX is now at 30.

Na now you go know say Ninjas dey this game. Nothing is happening to gold and silver. Oil may fall but believe me owning Exxon or Total will give you better returns over the NSE in the next 12 months

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 04, 2020
nosa2:

Na now you go know say Ninjas dey this game. Nothing is happening to gold and silver. Oil may fall but believe me owning Exxon or Total will give you better returns over the NSE in the next 12 months

I hold 1 of the stocks. Been holding for long.

But that doesn't mean it will not fall back.

Gold has just gone to the market to buy shovel. Digging continues today.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 04, 2020
RabbiDoracle:

Tesla needs to fall towards $278. What will cause it to fall this low will drag:

Dow : 16K
S & P : 1,800
NASDAQ: 5,800

And I truly don't know what will cause it. This is an early warning.

Then lots of EMs and FMs could have contagion effect from the developed market fall. The liquidity driven rally is about to come to an end in my opinion.

With 5 for 1 stock split done by Tesla, the $278 is now equivalent to $55.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5957) (5958) (5959) (5960) (5961) (5962) (5963) ... (7773) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Princkez, Pete002, Ibrahim505(m), ExpertDealer, smasher1(m), otomatic(m), readerschairman, kaykehin, 222Martins(m), KarlTom, drotba(m), tayejay(m), lexy2lexy, WestPB and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.