Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,097 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10890444 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (7753) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by otokx(m): 4:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
nice thread
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chukyjones(m): 8:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
hello guys, what do you think of AIICO at the current price?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Rawar: 11:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
how to coll operation requires stock broking firms to fund their Trading Accounts in anyone of the designated banks before going to the trading floor. This also ensures that a seller of shares is assured that money for payment has been kept in the Trading Account. This is a departure from the pre-CSCS era where some brokers sold stocks they could not deliver or bought stocks without t ect company diviend .pls
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 8:44am On Feb 06, 2013
Available
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 8:46am On Feb 06, 2013
chukyjones: hello guys, what do you think of AIICO at the current price?

Aiico is one of the insurance stocks that i can invest in anytime....but make sure u study this sector thoroughly as dead insurance are coming to life....
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by eaglevader(m): 9:13am On Feb 06, 2013
Good work you doing friend, please add me to your mailing list : airsupremacyy@yahoo.com
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 9:33am On Feb 06, 2013
AIICO is a good buy. The fundamentals are sound and the financials are promissing.
More so some insurance stocks are now close to and above N2. I think 50% of the current price of AIICO is achievable.

Have a wonderful day.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 10:10am On Feb 06, 2013
Good morning peeps,

Spoke to someone today and i wasnt happy that his stockbroker is delaying his paying after sale of a good stock that has given him good returns..

This situation has happened to several people every time, so i made a little research on how To Find A Good Stockbroker And Get The Best Results:

Tips On What To Focus On Before And After Choosing A Broker

To invest in the stock market in Nigeria, you need the services of a stockbroker, mainly for two reasons:

it's in the Nigerian Stock Exchange's operational procedures that only licensed stockbrokers can buy or sell shares on the floor of the exchange;
investing has a lot of technical content. While you're free to take your own decisions, you're likely to benefit a lot from the experience, access to market information and technical know-how of a good stockbroker.

You Need An Honest and Diligent Partner
Because you will be placing hard-earned resources at the disposal of the stockbroker at certain points, there is need to exercise care in making a choice. Recorded cases of abuses by stockbrokers are not rare. Falling victim to an unscrupulous stockbroker could be a terrible setback for your wealth-building effort, especially if you are ignorant of the abuses you are subjected to over a long period. A responsible, honest, diligent, knowledgeable and experienced stockbroker will be an invaluable partner in your quest for stock-market success. When you need a personal doctor, accountant, lawyer or other key professional, you definitely want someone you can entrust with important resources or decisions and still have peace of mind. It's so too for a stockbroker. Don't begin a relationship with a broker because he marketed you or somehow chanced on you. It's more serious than that. Do yourself some good by deliberately defining your choice-criteria and searching out a broker that meets them.

First, Get Your Act Together
Before you turn your fortunes over to a stockbroker, it is proper you organise yourself a little. While the stockbroker can provide a lot of hand-holding and guide you through the processes, you will be doing yourself a lot of good by obtaining some basic knowledge of how things work. Read up a few things if you can (print media, internet sites, etc are rich with relevant materials) or ask questions from people you know who have some market experience. You also need to take some basic decisions as to what you want:

your investment goals (so you can judge which broker can best help you to meet them
the level of services you will need: just trades or with investment advisory services?; full portfolio management?; cash management with deposits that you need to negotiate rates for?; frequents trades or just occasional orders?; market research capability?

Short-listing Brokers To Evaluate
The number of licensed stockbrokers dealing on the Nigerian Stock Exchange is relatively large and you hardly need to evaluate or interview all. You probably need to look closely at a handful of them to choose which to operate with. Some ways you can narrow down include:

Ask friends, relations, colleagues or anybody who has been in the business of investing in the stock market. Your banker or other financial sector professional may also have some recommendations. Most wealthy people you know will probably be investing in the stock market and may be familiar with major stockbrokers. Ask people you have confidence in and you will likely get good references . But don't take referrals lightly. A referral from an undiscerning investor may be of little worth if that investor is not critical or has no serious expectation from a broker.
A share offer prospectus will usually list stockbrokers who are receiving agents. If you look at a recent one, it could provide a guide. If the issuing house (a key market operator) will appoint them to receive issue proceeds, it is some vote of confidence. The danger is that some of these lists may be reprinted without discrimination, making it an all-comers affair.
The Securities and Exchange Commission has a listing of Capital Market Operators (including stockbrokers) with current licenses, which you can access at their web site. Being the regulator that lists and delists, suspends or re-instates operators, you will do well to crosscheck that any broker you are considering is currently licenses to operate in that capacity
Many of our financial institutions, particularly banks and discount houses, have stockbrokerage firms as subsidiaries. Considering the financial backing, corporate-governance standards and managerial capacity advantages that this portends, I'll always suggest a look-in at those houses backed by these big corporates.

Tips On What To Look For
Don't just enlist a broker. Your hard-earned money, which you should be in no hurry to lose, deserves a careful choice of a broker to entrust it with. Screen the options thoroughly (I'm sure you aren't in any big hurry), taking into account the following criteria:

1. Check out the broker's background, in particular as to whether he/the house has been involved in any official disciplinary process of the Stock Exchange or Securities And Exchange Commission. Many brokers have records of past misdeeds or involvement in investigations, whether found guilty or not. With many brokers to choose from, I would, if I were you, steer clear of those that have past records. Also, if you have access to the opinion of past or existing clients of the broker, it may help you in forming your own opinion.

2. You should be much interested in the skills and experience of the broker you are considering. The broker should be able to prove his worth. Look, you are trying to engage his services and it isn't too much to require him to demonstrate his capacity to perform. Is he prepared to show you a client's list which you can evaluate and indeed verify.

3. Especially if you intend to rely on the broker for advice, decisions or to manage your portfolio, his research capability and system should interest. For all you know, a lot of brokers are simply going by the drift of the market with little or no capacity to research the stocks or market and make independent judgment. For long term success, you need more than following the crowd and a broker that inherently has something to offer will better serve your interest.

4. Find out what the add-on services the broker will provide. Some brokers today will, for instance, provide you daily market updates (the official list, their in-house analysis and top picks, company results and other information) which are very valuable, even at no cost to you. So, why settle for a broker that hasn't the capacity to deliver this resource?

5. Your statements and transaction documentations will be important in monitoring your account and portfolio. Investors' stocks have been sold without their knowledge and the statement will highlight this, especially if it was done in error. Don't take it for granted that every broker regularly delivers these without a struggle from you. While the Trade Alert and Special Accounts at the CSCS are other safeguards to protect your investment, you're better off with a broker who is diligent to provide statements, contract notes and other relevant documents to help clients keep a tab.

6. Check if the broker has any specialty or is a jack-of-all-trade. If a broker has special focus and strength and this agrees with your investment goals and aspiration, you will gain more mileage working with him.

7. Accessibility of your broker is also important to your success. Find out if the broker has good client service disposition. If your broker will not be accessible when you need information, clarification or advice, you will possibly have a hectic time relating with him and could miss important investment or exit opportunities. Determine early that a good system is in place to meet this need.

8. The transaction commissions and charges may make a significant impact, especially when you trade frequently. Beyond the statutory fees, nothing stops the broker from negotiating his commissions with you, especially if volume commitment justifies it. While you wouldn't engage a broker just because he is cheap (he could cost you dearly in other ways), not being sensitive to your costs could deplete your resources. So, if a broker meets other tests and is also good on rates, you have a better bargain since you will be encouraged to trade more frequently. Also, if you are to leave cash floats with the broker for investment, you deserve a reasonable return (interest payment) which he should readily offer. Watch out for the one that will want to take advantage. He will do so in other respects when he has the opportunity

9. The financial muscle of the broker is important as well. We earlier alluded to the inherent strength of brokerage houses with major financial institutions as parents. There are other financially sound brokers. Since they simply buy and sell stuff for you, is this really important? I'll say somehow. If the broker sells your stock but cannot pay you because his account at the bank is overdrawn beyond limit, what happens? What if it becomes a terminal development? A strong parent company or proven financial strength, will always be an advantage.

The bottom line is that your hard-earned money should be nurtured to grow and not rather frittered away by a broker you've entrusted it with.

Source: http://www.smartnigerianinvestor.com/articles/Investing/stocks-bonds/stockbroker.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ihedioramma: 12:40pm On Feb 06, 2013
THANK'S. WHAT OF INVESTMENT CENTRE LTD, IS IT A GOOD ONE? WHO OWN'S IT?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 12:51pm On Feb 06, 2013
Also, here are some likely questions you should ask a stock broker/ broking firm when scouting for a good one:

1. What sort of operational online facilities do you offer?

2. Will I be able to transfer monies directly from my bank account to yours via e-banking? If yes, who are your bankers?

3. How often or frequently do you update the information on your site, particularly, information pertaining to my portfolio?

4. What is the minimum required to open an account with you?

5. Can the minimum you require include a transfer of my existing shares, and how long does it take to get the account operational?

6. Will I be able to receive contract notes and other relevant documents in hard copy and also as email attachments if possible?

7. In order for me to effect buy/sell orders effectively, I would appreciate a comprehensive and complete list of all Statutory and other charges you have, connected with buying and selling of shares, as this influences my decision to open an account with any broking firm. (What are your commission charges for buy/sell orders, does this change with the number of units being bought or sold?)

Enjoy.

Born 2be rich
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 1:01pm On Feb 06, 2013
ihedioramma: THANK'S. WHAT OF INVESTMENT CENTRE LTD, IS IT A GOOD ONE? WHO OWN'S IT?

To know if a stock broking firm is a good one kindly read my previous posts.

However, click on this link: http://www.cscsnigerialtd.com/

Then click on market information and then click on dealing members to view all the stockbrokers and the ones not to use..
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 1:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
I am not a sales agent, but from my experience I have used 3 brokers, the best is IBTC stock brokers- please note that is my experience.
I have used 2 big names and 1 small name.

You can see that Sterling bank stock is having problem crossing N3, that is why i issued that alert..At N3 there should be a lot of profit taking that will drive down the price. The margin btw the call for buy and N3 is too little, else you work for broker charges. For me to follow sterling bank stock it must break N3 convincely then i buy on a pull back.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2013
sellydion: I am not a sales agent, but from my experience I have used 3 brokers, the best is IBTC stock brokers- please note that is my experience.

You can see that Sterling bank stock is having problem crossing N3, that is why i issued that alert..At N3 there should be a lot of profit taking that will drive down the price. The margin btw the call for buy and N3 is too little, else you work for broker charges. For me to follow sterling bank stock it must break N3 convincely then i buy on a pull back.

ok boss grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by feelamong(m): 2:00pm On Feb 06, 2013
sellydion: I am not a sales agent, but from my experience I have used 3 brokers, the best is IBTC stock brokers- please note that is my experience.

I think its the time to buy! You dont buy while a stock is going up!

Pick a good stock foundamentally and buy while its on its way down! That way you will be well seated for the next rally!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 2:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
feelamong:

I think its the time to buy! You dont buy while a stock is going up!

Pick a good stock foundamentally and buy while its on its way down! That way you will be well seated for the next rally!

Oga feelamong you too much cheesy
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 2:45pm On Feb 06, 2013
@feelamong, I gained a lot from your picks. Our approach to buying may be different due to our background and exposure.
I do not buy when a stock is going down (never will I), neither do I average down. I buy when a stock is going up using my parrameters
and of course I only buy stocks with fundamentals.

@toberich, You have been wonderful but obviously like everyone there is always somethings to benefit from one another. I have read virturaly all your posts, thank you, it is always good to keep mind opened and asked questions when you see something different. I am here to get something from every one.

Happy Invest ;Ding
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 2:58pm On Feb 06, 2013
sellydion: There was an old successful stock trader who was asked about the secret of his success. He said,
" I buy when they are going up and sell when they are going down" He always missed the bottom and miss the top.

Imagine how many people do the opposite.

I still perfecting the old successful stock trader.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by jamace(m): 3:07pm On Feb 06, 2013
My own style is to look for sleeping giants and pick them while they are still sleeping. grin

With the market makers on the NSE, in which shares can gain up to 10% in a trading day, it is glaringly more difficult for me to jump EARLY into a moving stock, because I am not a stockbroker. I hate picking a stock at the commencement of bull and my broker will tell me it is not available or that he can't get it. By experience, I have known that TIMING is very important in getting a stock and "rushing" has not favoured me.

So, I will rather wait inside the bus and move with it any time it is moving than try to jump unto an already moving bus.

How I wish I were a broker, trading for myself. sad
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by feelamong(m): 3:39pm On Feb 06, 2013
jamace: My own style is to look for sleeping giants and pick them while they are still sleeping. grin

With the market makers on the NSE, in which shares can gain up to 10% in a trading day, it is glaringly more difficult for me to jump EARLY into a moving stock, because I am not a stockbroker. I hate picking a stock at the commencement of bull and my broker will tell me it is not available or that he can't get it. By experience, I have known that TIMING is very important in getting a stock and "rushing" has not favoured me.

So, I will rather wait inside the bus and move with it any time it is moving than try to jump unto an already moving bus.

Nice strategy!! To time any stock most times is a very difficult thing!

To find the sleeping Giants is where the hard work is and also to ignore the rumblings in the market is not an east virtue!

In all if one can find a foundamentally good sleeping giant, that person is already made, cos the money in the stock market is made in the buying and not in the selling cos 'Well bought Stocks are already Half sold'!!!

Happy Investing All
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by feelamong(m): 3:44pm On Feb 06, 2013
sellydion: @feelamong, I gained a lot from your picks. Our approach to buying may be different due to our background and exposure.
I do not buy when a stock is going down (never will I), neither do I average down. I buy when a stock is going up using my parrameters

@toberich, You have been wonderful but obviously like everyone there is always somethings to benefit from one another. I have read virturaly all your posts, thanks you, it is always good to keep mind opened and asked questions when you see something different. I am here to get something from every one.

Happy Invest ;Ding

Bros.. I gbadun ur style! I have not been able to get my round round all these technical charts....maybe we go dey share small small info on the next stocks that are about to fly since you only deal on foundamentally strong stocks too!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by nereiskc(m): 3:51pm On Feb 06, 2013
jamace: My own style is to look for sleeping giants and pick them while they are still sleeping. grin

That's my style too...locate d sleeping giant, get in d bus and ride with it..what a fertile NSE. I Mentioned a stock in oil sector, guys wan chop me like tuwo shinkafa....based on what I call speculations.... All my guys using EPS as part of their tech analysis, is it working, d ans is NO. Better start using fundamental analysis 4 now, cos d market d vex.A word is enough 4 d wise! OANDO on point
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stockbull(m): 9:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
lovely posts
to be a good analyst ,you must not put likeness or love in any company. Judge with fact and remember there are more than you can understand .never predict or criticize any trend. Change your mind as the trend change hers. Stock can make lies to be truths and otherwise. Justify analysis and forcast with realities.happy investing. Not yet time to trade if you really want to make real profit. Market and investors psychologies are very important. React when majority do if not, you will have yourself to be blamed. Only big meat can go against the mind of average investor
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ihedioramma: 10:30pm On Feb 06, 2013
HELLO @ JAMACE & NEREISKC, WHAT ARE YOUR GIANT SLEEPING STOCKS NOW AND WHAT IS THERE BUSINESS?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by jamace(m): 2:46am On Feb 07, 2013
ihedioramma: HELLO @ JAMACE & NEREISKC, WHAT ARE YOUR GIANT SLEEPING STOCKS NOW AND WHAT IS THERE BUSINESS?

FTNCOCOA
You may wish to join me in this parked bus. grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ihedioramma: 8:39am On Feb 07, 2013
jamace:

FTNCOCOA
GOOD DAY EVERY BODY IN THIS ROOM ONE LOVE MY PEOPLE.@ JAMACE , I AM COMING, BOUT WHAT IS THE WORK OF THE BUS?(THAT IS WHAT IS THERE BUSINESS? HAS THEY PAY DIVIDEND OR BONUS BEFOR?)
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by nereiskc(m): 12:45pm On Feb 07, 2013
My attention have been drawn to d difficulties some of my friends here on dis forum is having with there brokers as regards to untimely buying or selling of stock orders....... Let me introduce u to d broking firm I use " CASHCRAFT". One thing of essence in life is time, cashcraft works with time, am not a staff of d company and neither am I promoting them for gains. Once u open an acct wit them (cscs), request for online account activation with d inhouse number they will give u. NOTE: make sure ur email, bank acct and all details abt u, u gave is 100% correct, pls. Once ur online acct is activated, they will send ur password to ur email, which u can change at will. U can view ur portfolio online, trade online (placing buy and sell orders online) and other useful statistics abt ur stock. Visit www.cashcraft.com for other info....... Finally, there may be other firms that render d above services too, but am talking of what I hv tested, done and seen. Goodluck friends
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 1:22pm On Feb 07, 2013
@ nereiskc,

What about execution of transactions - how many days?

payment on sale order, how many days?

conflict resolution?

Customer service?

Kindly give us more clues on the above.

Happy Investing
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by otokx(m): 2:49pm On Feb 07, 2013
i use cashcraft too
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by elubiazo: 2:49pm On Feb 07, 2013
@jamace: why recommend FTNCOCOA? Fundamentally, it is not sound company. Its 2011 FY result is just too negative and it hasnt released any quarterly result for 2012. I believe in good fundamentals before investing.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sellydion: 4:31pm On Feb 07, 2013
@ nereiskc,

What about execution of transactions - how many days?

payment on sale order, how many days?

conflict resolution?

Customer service?

Kindly give us more clues on the above.

Happy Investing[/quote]
otokx: i use cashcraft too

Please how about their services.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 4:49pm On Feb 07, 2013
sellydion: @feelamong, I gained a lot from your picks. Our approach to buying may be different due to our background and exposure.

@toberich, You have been wonderful but obviously like everyone there is always somethings to benefit from one another. I have read virturaly all your posts, thank you, it is always good to keep mind opened and asked questions when you see something different. I am here to get something from every one.

Happy Invest ;Ding

Everybody has his or her own approach in investing in the market and it is good as we all interract and share ideas with one another so that we can all benefit..
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Born2beRich1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 07, 2013
jamace:

FTNCOCOA

For now i think FTN cocoa is alittle bit risky due to their poor FYresult...The only thing i can phantom out is that the nigerian govt is making effort to revive the agricultural sector.....I dont really have much info on this but always put ur eggs in profitable baskets..

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (7753) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ginalex(f) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.