Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (7336) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10966129 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7333) (7334) (7335) (7336) (7337) (7338) (7339) ... (7780) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by kolaish(m): 1:31pm On Nov 06, 2023
Tpharell:
Apart from one mr Nonam Awu (something like that), the man in blue native and white hair who spoke dispassionately about the real issues, nothing more than praise singing by persons who clearly did not understand how the proceedings should go. If there are 20 of his likes at the AGM shareholders would not be holding the wrong end of the stick. Unfortunately, alone he cannot stop a moving train.
And that electronic vote is a real joke! Very easy to manipulate and Wale and the board will be relying on that for the scheme buy out voting
He is Mr Nornah Awoh. He used to present a program "STOCKS & SHARES" on MITV by 7pm on Tuesday since 2008 or thereabout, though for about 2 weeks running now, the program has not been on air.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2023
ebuka1997:
Thanks, I bought earlier before the announcement, I will wait abeg. I hope they payout a slightly higher price
Ok Sir.
That's why I said it totally depends on you and your pocket size possibly.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Tpharell: 1:58pm On Nov 06, 2023
kolaish:
He is Mr Nornah Awoh. He used to present a program "STOCKS & SHARES" on MITV by 7pm on Tuesday since 2008 or thereabout, though for about 2 weeks running now, the program has not been on air.
Thank you for this. He is the only one that addressed issues without sugar coating, wish we have many more like him

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by essentialone(m): 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2023
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Hedgefunds: 3:56pm On Nov 06, 2023
IF YOU HAD TO BUY AND HOLD JUST 1 STOCK FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

cc
emmanuelewumi

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by essentialone(m): 3:57pm On Nov 06, 2023
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megawealth01: 5:09pm On Nov 06, 2023
veecovee:

Waow !! So you be uga indigene?
No but from Anambra
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by essentialone(m): 5:58pm On Nov 06, 2023
Hi, are there any Naija brokers that have stock scanners?

"I would never spend a lot of time trying to value a declining business that I call a cigar butt (one last free puff out of the business). I can spend the same amount of energy and intelligence analysing a growing business and am going to get a better outcome."

- Warren Buffett
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2023
Hedgefunds:
cc
emmanuelewumi
Hhmmm.
Will also be waiting for the elders reply to this. smiley

You should have copied Oga WanajO in this type of question too. smiley
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:06pm On Nov 06, 2023
Hedgefunds:

cc
emmanuelewumi

Which kain Jamb question be this?

You can't buy a stock and go to sleep for 5 years,

You need to keep on monitoring the profitability, earning quality, growth, value creation and sustainability of the business.

We go discuss the rest for the other side

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mfunkynation(m): 7:36pm On Nov 06, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

Which kain Jamb question be this?

You can't buy a stock and go to sleep for 5 years,

You need to keep on monitoring the profitability, earning quality, growth, value creation and sustainability of the business.

We go discuss the rest for the other side
Which other side be that ooooo....
pa Emma said something here oooo...
I go shout oooo
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by kolaish(m): 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2023
Hedgefunds:

cc
emmanuelewumi
Just like others have remarked, I doubt if there is any stock you can buy and go and sleep for 5 years, not only in NGX but in other clines because any event either by commission of omission can affect its operations. However, just like I stated some months back, there are stocks that have shock absorbers that you can buy for now, that may not give you any reason to panic in the next 2 years. This is because their is a lot of potentials in their line of business. Example is UCAP & NAHCO.

I would have added PRESCO and OKOMU, but you can wake up tomorrow and hear that fire has burn down their palm plantation grin (God forbid)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 8:06pm On Nov 06, 2023
kolaish:
Just like others have remarked, I doubt if there is any stock you can buy and go and sleep for 5 years, not only in NGX but in other clines because any event either by commission of omission can affect its operations. However, just like I stated some months back, there are stocks that have shock absorbers that you can buy for now, that may not give you any reason to panic in the next 2 years. This is because their is a lot of potentials in their line of business. Example is UCAP & NAHCO.

I would have added PRESCO and OKOMU, but you can wake up tomorrow and hear that fire has burn down their palm plantation grin (God forbid)
It's growth stocks that renders services, collects "free money"and consistent with dividend payout that I think can be considered in this situation,like Telecoms stocks.........but then, one cannot just go to sleep and believe all is going to be well at all times...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 8:30pm On Nov 06, 2023
Hedgefunds:

Bonds are the closest to what one can buy and go to sleep while getting a very good yield over a long term. With current yields above 14%, a lot of stocks will not perform more than a bond with a coupon yield of +14% in the long term. For example, Dangote Sugar has not performed better than a 14% bond over the last 15 years.

Thus with this objective of HOLD, plus an assumption of not really monitoring over the next 5 years (perhaps busy with work). A +14% bond yield investment may be the better option than a stock at this point in time.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Shalom428: 9:18pm On Nov 06, 2023
Hedgefunds:

cc
emmanuelewumi
My bet will be on Dangote Sugar / Nascon ( Dangote Food ). Food will always be a necessity and Dangote will enjoy economies of scale.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by EconFinance: 9:40pm On Nov 06, 2023
Hedgefunds:

cc
emmanuelewumi
Dangote Cement

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by phadriz(m): 10:33pm On Nov 06, 2023
Transcorp

Hedgefunds:

cc
emmanuelewumi
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by unite4real: 11:37pm On Nov 06, 2023
BabsO2:

Bonds are the closest to what one can buy and go to sleep while getting a very good yield over a long term. With current yields above 14%, a lot of stocks will not perform more than a bond with a coupon yield of +14% in the long term. For example, Dangote Sugar has not performed better than a 14% bond over the last 15 years.

Thus with this objective of HOLD, plus an assumption of not really monitoring over the next 5 years (perhaps busy with work). A +14% bond yield investment may be the better option than a stock at this point in time.

Are you for real. Let's look at these scenarios like you claim.

Both of us had 10M to invest 14 years ago

Scenario 1
15 years ago you put your money in a bond investment of 14% interest per annum

Let's compound 10M at 14%, assuming a reinvestment of the coupons at same rate at all payment dates which is not even possible.

Total investment on maturity is N76M

Scenario 2
Let me be modest

As a patient investor, I waited for 4 years after you started your bond and in 2012, I got dangote sugar for N3.50 per share. I launched in with my 10M. Let's save the charges here.
I secured a total share of 2,857,143
Now share price today is average N63
that's about 1700% growth from N3.50

Total value is N180M
It doesn't end here

Now let's look at the dividend

Total dividend paid from 2012 to date including interim is 10.85

Total dividend is 2,857,143 x 10.85 = N31M

Remove withholding tax from dividend and you are still at N28M

Everything is still over 200M naira

My investment will be almost 3 times in value than yours without factoring in reinvestments of my dividends along the way

Remember that you started the race earlier than me.
Let both of us hold our investment for the next 5 years, you might envy what will about to happen to me. Do u know what is?

Dangote food would have launched and soon dividend will be around N3.50

This will give me dividend payment of 100%.
Meaning that I will get 100% of N10M as my payment since my unit price is 3.50 which is same as the dividend per share.

By the time I continue holding and dividend rises to N5, e go be like say na blood money

Even a third scenario where a guy converted the N10M to dollar and didn't even invest the dollar and decides to change it now, he is still better than yours but not mine

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Adinije(f): 12:17am On Nov 07, 2023
unite4real:

Scenario 1

Let's compound 10M at 14%, assuming a reinvestment of the coupons at same rate at all payment dates which is not even possible.

Scenario 2
Let me be modest

As a patient investor, I waited for 4 years after you started your bond and in 2012, I got dangote sugar for N3.50 per share. I launched in with my 10M. Let's save the charges here.

Total value is N180M
It doesn't end here

My investment will be almost 3 times in value than yours without factoring in reinvestments of my dividends along the way

Let both of us hold our investment for the next 5 years, my figure should amaze you.

Even a third scenario where a guy converted the N10M to dollar and didn't even invest the dollar and decides to change it now, he is still better than yours but not mine

What if na wapco u buy nko cool

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Ginalex(f): 12:32am On Nov 07, 2023
Adinije:
What if na wapco u buy nko cool
grin grin Another Angle

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:08am On Nov 07, 2023
unite4real:

Scenario 1

Scenario 2
Let me be modest

Total value is N180M
It doesn't end here

Let both of us hold our investment for the next 5 years, you might envy what will about to happen to me. Do u know what is?

Dangote food would have launched and soon dividend will be around N3.50

This will give me dividend payment of 100%.
Meaning that I will get 100% of N10M as my payment since my unit price is 3.50 which is same as the dividend per share.

By the time I continue holding and dividend rises to N5, e go be like say na blood money

Why waiting for another 4 years before buying Dangote sugar at N3.50k.

Why not consider the performance of Dangote Sugar when it was listed at N18 in 2007 till date

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:19am On Nov 07, 2023
If you have CSCS online, go to price history.

Presco sold for N4.90k on 6th November 2009 and now selling for N190.

Meaning N1 million invested is now worth N38 million. Assuming exchange rate to dollar was N150 in 2009 and N1000 in 2023.
$6700 invested is now worth $38,000.

Whereas on that same day Oando sold for N99.50k and now selling for roughly N10.

Meaning N1 million invested is now worth 100k.
Or $6700 is now worth $100.

Most times na boring businesses dey create long term wealth

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:26am On Nov 07, 2023
BabsO2:

Over a period of 20 years, less than 20% of stocks on NGX have been able to deliver a compounded annualized return of 14%

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:39am On Nov 07, 2023
There is a reason why more than 70% of most Nigerian workers Retirement Savings are invested in Fixed Income investments, yet a major percentage of an average worker networth is tied to the value of their Retirement Savings Account

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:56am On Nov 07, 2023
@ 14% annualized return for the past 20 years. It means an investment of N1 million in 2003 is worth N13.7 million, based on bonuses, dividends and current price of the investment.

Very few stocks have been able to give this type of return, in most cases the investors have lost money

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by essentialone(m): 5:55am On Nov 07, 2023
I have a feeling which is sentimental anyway . I believe many of the Banks might not want to pay the huge Company Tax of 30% from the humongous profit that will run around half a trillion by year end 2023. In my personal thinking they will buy more of their shares , then declare a huge dividend to escape the huge tax liability of 30% . The money will come back to them via dividend payment. The tax liability would have been reduced from company income tax of 30% to 10% of withholding tax .

My personal thinking anyway , so we are likely to see more purchases from them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:00am On Nov 07, 2023
essentialone:

I have a feeling which is sentimental anyway . I believe many of the Banks might not want to pay the huge Company Tax of 30% from the humongous profit that will run around half a trillion by year end 2023. In my personal thinking they will buy more of their shares , then declare a huge dividend to escape the huge tax liability of 30% . The money will come back to them via dividend payment. The tax liability would have been reduced from company income tax of 30% to 10% of withholding tax .

My personal thinking anyway , so we are likely to see more purchases from them.

Share buy back must be registered and approved by SEC and will lead to a reduction in the outstanding shares of the business.

Share buy back are best done when share prices are very cheap

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by unite4real: 6:13am On Nov 07, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

Why waiting for another 4 years before buying Dangote sugar at N3.50k.

Why not consider the performance of Dangote Sugar when it was listed at N18 in 2005 till date

He mentioned performance from 15 years ago so I took a few years after 2008 while taking out the economic meltdown of 2008 and waiting a few years to start the investment
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:26am On Nov 07, 2023
unite4real:

He mentioned performance from 15 years ago so I took a few years after 2008 while taking out the economic meltdown of 2008 and waiting a few years to start the investment

On 7th November 2008, Dangote Sugar closed at N14.80k.

6th November 2008 was a Sunday and no record for the stock price.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:32am On Nov 07, 2023
From CSCS price history record, Dangote Sugar was listed on 8th May 2007 at N18.00, the price closed at N18.90k.

Check the stock performance from when it was listed 16 years ago till date.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:39am On Nov 07, 2023
Looking at inflation and currency devaluation in the last 15 years most investors have underperformed.

It is even worse with penny and dead stocks that have lost 80% of their stock price in the last 15 years and have not been able to pay dividends for 5 years and above

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 7:38am On Nov 07, 2023
emmanuelewumi:
From CSCS price history record, Dangote Sugar was listed on 8th May 2007 at N18.00, the price closed at N18.90k.

Check the stock performance from when it was listed 16 years ago till date.

You got my reference. It was the listing price. I.e. N18. That's 16 years ago to be more precise. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7333) (7334) (7335) (7336) (7337) (7338) (7339) ... (7780) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: boerzem, awesomeJ(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.