Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30103 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PeterKbaba: 7:32pm On Dec 15, 2012
garri_gangster:
Mungo Park, you dont get it do you? When your grandfathers were still living under trees and thatched houses at Afikpo, Ibadan people were already living in storey buildings with iron roofs. Those brown roofs you see are a result of Ibadan's early civilization.
We cant demolish such houses to satisfy numbskulls like you. Even in London, u would still see 11th century houses and they are the most expensive.

God bless you...... 80% of all the civilized and educated igbos during the 1950s/60s all studied free education in Yorubaland (Including Achebe)
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 7:42pm On Dec 15, 2012

To: ak47mann, afam4eva
Cc: BiafraMailingList

Subject: Oyo State in Five Years

Dear Biafrans,

It is worthy of note that Oyo state currently has a higher GDP than any state in the entire SE. I know this may hurt and will get you wondering but Ibadan, the state capital has several fully functional industrial estates and industries.

The state will also in the near future be an industrial hub of WestAfrica as confirmed in a recent report by the Financial Times.

After reading the report by the FT, you will observe the following symptoms:

Sweating
Nausea
Sleeplessness
Delirium
Fever
Headaches
Constipation
Chest pain
Dizziness
Incoherent posts on Nairaland

Just know that whether or not you get hurt, Oyo state and the SW will continue to develop and even faster than you can ever imagine

Best Regards
Geez

Yorubaland o Ni baje

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 7:49pm On Dec 15, 2012
^And also this:
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 7:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
This thread is still alive!!!

Haters must be having nightmare over Ibadan's development grin

291 posts of nine pages(still counting) just because they heard Ibadan is progressing. shocked

It's now official that Ibadan is a city to watch.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Tolexander: 8:49pm On Dec 15, 2012
dayokanu:

Andre uweh Kedu.

You are now a graduate of OAU?

Abeg which department you finish from in OAU and what year did you graduate
do u mean he is exhibiting polymorphism on nairaland?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 8:56pm On Dec 15, 2012
demmy:

What an imbecilic troll. Asking me for names of manufacturing industries in Ibadan!!! The i.d.i.ot was told there are 3 industrial estates yet he is asking me for names. Stop wasting my time with your inferiority complex. Go play your tribal war games somewhere else I am busy.

Now you have confirmed to me that you have a very low IQ indeed. Does it make any difference to you that Aba has 5 functional industrial estates without folks there coming online yap and hype over it? I can mention up to 100 medium and large scale enterprises operating in Aba, ditto Nnewi and Onistha if you ask me. So i ask you again, can you name the plethora of firms that made Ibadan so industrialized?

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 8:58pm On Dec 15, 2012
demmy: ^And also this:
Who contrived this nonsense?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 9:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: Now you have confirmed to me that you have a very low IQ indeed. Does it make any difference to you that Aba has 5 functional industrial estates without folks there coming online yap and hype over it? I can mention up to 100 medium and large scale enterprises operating in Aba, ditto Nnewi and Onistha if you ask me. So i ask you again, can you name the plethora of firms that made Ibadan so industrialized?

You're an i.d.i.ot and as such I leave you. bur bye troll.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 9:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
geez*:

Well Oyo state's GDP is higher than the GDP of any state in the SE. Doesn't this tell you that the state produces a lot more more than any SE state?
I hate bland statements like the one above, please for the umpteenth time, what is Ibadan producing? petroleum? Manufacturing firms like PZ? Good i know about Ewedu, block industries, pure water industries, Gbegiri, Babalawo et al as Dhemmy listed but are they what makes Ibadan industrialized?

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 9:22pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: I hate bland statements like the one above, please for the umpteenth time, what is Ibadan producing? petroleum? Manufacturing firms like PZ? Good i know about Ewedu, block industries, pure water industries, Gbegiri, Babalawo et al as Dhemmy listed but are they what makes Ibadan industrialized?

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 10:06pm On Dec 15, 2012
[s]
tolulinks: I get rather fed up with Igbos and there rivalry with the YORUBAS much like Achebe fancies himself better than Soyinka ( Pipe dream). I believe the only recognisable igbo city is enugu with their highest storey building, a government house! Don't be deluded igbos-PH and Calabar are not urs. An igbo student oF UI FRom eNUGU once remarked dumbly "
Ibadan fine oh after a trip to New Bodija. I laughed pitifully at him. Ogun is more industrialised than the entire east! No sane person wants to go to the east except the nomadic igbos themselves. Ibadan has potentials to develop into a Lagos and this is coming from someone who shuttles between the two cities. Ibadan is still the largest city in WA...correct me if I'm wrong. Igbo will always be in the shadows of yorubas! If you don't like it pack ur bags like fasholas subtley telling you and go to ur villages!
[/s] Your ridiculous write up does not merit a reply but the sake of the uninformed ones, i will dissect your naive post.
Enugu is not the only great city in the SE, in terms of population and industries, Onitsha and Aba is ahead but Enugu is the political capital and Owerri as the summer capital.
Fact 2; Onitsha has the largest concentration of high rise buildings of 4,5 and 6 storeys in west Africa.
Fact 3; Aba has more industries than any SW city bar Lagos.
Fallacy; Ibadan is the largest city in WA! gosh are you an illiterate?
Fact 4; Lagos, Kano, Abidjan etc are far more populous than Ibadan.
Fallacy; You concluded that Ibadan is fine because you went to Bodija estate? Now its either you are a kid or you possess a very low IQ.
Fallacy; Igbos are under the shadow of Yorubas! Igbos are actually ahead in many spheres of life.
Please don't insult our sensibility with your ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ufeolorun(m): 10:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
Progressive politics has kept Lagos alive and there's a direct correlation between the retrogression of ibadan and its politics.
Probably,when Lagos was out of reach for our fathers at the beginning because it was designated fed. capital,they sought to recreate it in Ibadan and they did to an extent:while there was no tv station in lagos, Ibadan already had one but when Eko fell back into our hands we left ibadan to ibadan people.
Ibadan is a Western asset,the Western government invested a lot of money in there hence re-energising the city should be an SW agenda,it should not be left in the hands of the indigenes alone,just like Lagos isn't.The way an average SWner of today feel a sense of bond and ownership of lagos was the same way most of our parents felt about Ibadan. Lagos was frittering away but Tinubu, to his credit brought life back into it,we can do same for ibadan.

i pray the present state government see this enormous asset.In fact, rebuilding Ibadan should be one of the core goal of the ACN .This should be the starting point for integration.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 10:53pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: [s][/s] Your ridiculous write up does not merit a reply but the sake of the uninformed ones, i will dissect your naive post.
Enugu is not the only great city in the SE, in terms of population and industries, Onitsha and Aba is ahead but Enugu is the political capital and Owerri as the summer capital.
Fact 2; Onitsha has the largest concentration of high rise buildings of 4,5 and 6 storeys in west Africa.
Fallacy; You concluded that Ibadan is fine because you went to Bodija estate? Now its either you are a kid or you possess a very low IQ.
Fallacy; Igbos are under the shadow of Yorubas! Igbos are actually ahead in many spheres of life.

This whole Ibadan progress thing is really troubling you I see. Pẹ̀lẹ́. Have heart.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Tolexander: 10:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: [s][/s] Your ridiculous write up does not merit a reply but the sake of the uninformed ones, i will dissect your naive post.

this your comment made me to remember what JINGO taught us in fallacy in OAU, argumentum ad ignorantium!
Congrat bro, u gave me the best definition of ignorance than any google search and dictionary definition.
But try to pursue knowlegde. My advice!

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 10:56pm On Dec 15, 2012
Well well

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 11:09pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: I hate bland statements like the one above, please for the umpteenth time, what is Ibadan producing? petroleum? Manufacturing firms like PZ? Good i know about Ewedu, block industries, pure water industries, Gbegiri, Babalawo et al as Dhemmy listed but are they what makes Ibadan industrialized?
Guy, leave dese ppl, dey only feel inferior. I was trying to tell dem dat referring to d east abt dis topic was unecessary but dey kept on typing like cows. @first, no igbo person commented on dis, but all of a sudden, some bigots started relatin d topic to d east.same thing dey wil do if d post is abt Aba. Dey dnt knw Aba, nnewi n Onitsha(wch are nt state capitals) have been on d watch since years n here dey are, making a fool of demselves cos ibadan is yet to b watched. Live with it: igbos,foreigners n fed govt own more tnz in Lagos(n west) dan yoruba individuals.
2) poverty is relatively unknown in d SE.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Desola(f): 11:13pm On Dec 15, 2012
ngozievergreen:
Guy, leave dese ppl, dey only feel inferior. I was trying to tell dem dat referring to d east abt dis topic was unecessary but dey kept on typing like cows. @first, no igbo person commented on dis, but all of a sudden, some bigots started relatin d topic to d east.same thing dey wil do if d post is abt Aba. Dey dnt knw Aba, nnewi n Onitsha(wch are nt state capitals) have been on d watch since years n here dey are, making a fool of demselves cos ibadan is yet to b watched. Live with it: igbos,foreigners n fed govt own more tnz in Lagos(n west) dan yoruba individuals.

do you feel better now that you have got it off your chest?

We accept, you'r di.ck is bigger than ours.

Hope that makes you sleep better tonight. wink
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
Ufeolorun: Progressive politics has kept Lagos alive and there's a direct correlation between the retrogression of ibadan and its politics.
Probably,when Lagos was out of reach for our fathers at the beginning because it was designated fed. capital,they sought to recreate it in Ibadan and they did to an extent:while there was no tv station in lagos, Ibadan already had one but when Eko fell back into our hands we left ibadan to ibadan people.
Ibadan is a Western asset,the Western government invested a lot of money in there hence re-energising the city should be an SW agenda,it should not be left in the hands of the indigenes alone,just like Lagos isn't.The way an average SWner of today feel a sense of bond and ownership of lagos was the same way most of our parents felt about Ibadan. Lagos was frittering away but Tinubu, to his credit brought life back into it,we can do same for ibadan.

i pray the present state government see this enormous asset.In fact, rebuilding Ibadan should be one of the core goal of the ACN .This should be the starting point for integration.

U are d most mature of ur brodas. Infact,dis is how i expected dem to comment on dis post(if dey want o) but dey kept on disgracing demselves talking wat dey cant defend and foolishly thinking sb hates dem. Nicest piece frm d west. N d odas, u wont learn from it now, if it is.........
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 15, 2012
Desola:

yes,thanks. Sweet dreams to u too
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by tomakint: 11:21pm On Dec 15, 2012
dayokanu:

Andre uweh Kedu.

You are now a graduate of OAU?

Abeg which department you finish from in OAU and what year did you graduate
the day u tell me the numbers of tribal marks on ur cheeks I will tell you my course of study i tot u said u knew me at U.I undecidedOponu so 'we nu, omo eran now u know my alma mater, can u tell us urs? *Greatest Ife* cool
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by redsun(m): 11:28pm On Dec 15, 2012
They are always talking about africans cities as if they are not expected to be developed.They talk about africans as those that can never do better,like a people that are curse and always predictably failures.

Of course cities are main to develop,carve out by man with hands and brains in the cause of his evolution.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
No matter what you bigots say on this thread, it doesn't change the fact the Ibadan is one of the African cities to watch and no matter how bitter you are, Oyo state has a bigger economy than any state in the SE. These are verifiable facts that I've posted too many times over on this forum but here's to serve you dinner again

Rank State PPP GDP (2010;
in millios
of USD)
1 Lagos State US$33,679
2 Rivers State US$21,073
3 Delta State US$16,749
4 Oyo State US$16,121
5 Imo State US$14,212
6 Kano State US$12,393
7 Edo State US$11,888
- Federal Capital Territory US$11,448
8 Akwa Ibom State US$11,179
9 Ogun State

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

If you have any facts to disprove my post, kindly post without ranting bitterly like sore losers and include a credible link. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
Desola:

That individual's obsessive need to tell us that her southeast cities are better than Ibadan is just simply baffling. No one brought up the east. We are just happy that Ibadan is finally enjoying some development after years of doldrums yet here they are with their obsessive chest thumping.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 11:33pm On Dec 15, 2012
From the GDP of states I posted earlier, the total GDP of the SW is $78.8bn and that of the SE is $36.9bn. If you take the GDP of Lagos away from that of the SW, the GDP of the region will be $45.1bn. Still way higher than the GDP of the whole of the SE.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ezeagu(m): 11:34pm On Dec 15, 2012
Using GDP to asses human development means little in a country dominated by the black market.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 11:38pm On Dec 15, 2012
ezeagu: Using GDP to asses human development means little in a country dominated by the black market.

Even if you check the NBS, you will discover that poverty and unemployment in the SE is far higher than what obtains in the SW and human development without capital development isn't development. What I've realized about this forum is that people come here and say whatever they like but no matter what you say or refuse to acknowledge, it doesn't change how much I have in the bank, neither does it make the states, tribes or institution you come here to rubbish any less than they really are. So keep ranting, Ibadan will continue to be an investment haven as well as the SW. Your posts can't change that. They can only make you feel good about your illusions
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ezeagu(m): 11:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
geez*:

Even if you check the NBS, you will discover that poverty and unemployment in the SE is far higher than what obtains in the SW and human development without capital development isn't development

You can believe that if you want, but for me I've never seen a beggar from eastern Nigeria. The guys selling gala on the motorway, or even spare part dealers aren't listed in the GDP along with people who may be millionaires, and I don't even know if they (along with farmers) are listed as employed since these 50% figures are making question whether 50% of Anambara and the rest of the population of south east states are sitting at home starving (even when thousands start hustling at 10 years of age). But we all have our own beliefs.

geez*:

Even if you check the NBS, you will discover that poverty and unemployment in the SE is far higher than what obtains in the SW and human development without capital development isn't development. What I've realized about this forum is that people come here and say whatever they like but no matter what you say or refuse to acknowledge, it doesn't change how much I have in the bank, neither does it make the states, tribes or institution you come here to rubbish any less than they really are. So keep ranting, Ibadan will continue to be an investment haven as well as the SW. Your posts can't change that. They can only make you feel good about your illusions

I wasn't ranting against Ibadan, I was correcting incorrect evidence.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by EkoIle1: 11:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
ngozievergreen:

Ibo people are like migrant workers in Yorubaland. Working your azzzz off and paying taxes in other peoples land to develop other people's land while your own ibo land stagnate is nothing to beat chest with. What are you going to hand over to the next ibo generation? A bunch of slave workers working in Yorubaland like dogs and paying taxes to develop Yorubaland? You can not take Yorubaland back to your ibo villages.

You people need to bury your heads in shame because the joke is on you. You are once again the loser. Ibo people are dumb sha...

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 11:51pm On Dec 15, 2012
ezeagu:

You can believe that if you want, but for me I've never seen a beggar from eastern Nigeria. The guys selling gala on the motorway, or even spare part dealers aren't listed in the GDP along with people who may be millionaires, and I don't even know if they (along with farmers) are listed as employed since these 50% figures are making question whether 50% of Anambara and the rest of the population of south east states are sitting at home starving (even when thousands start hustling at 10 years of age). But we all have our own beliefs.

I wasn't ranting against Ibadan, I was correcting incorrect evidence.

Even if its incorrect just leave us to be deluded. I don't know why any post on any positive news or development in Yorubaland generates so much bitterness from you Biafrans. If it pains you that much, you can work hard enough to make those things happen in your region or you consider it impossible ni?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 11:53pm On Dec 15, 2012
Eko Ile:

Ibo people are like migrant workers in Yorubaland. Working your azzzz off and paying taxes in other peoples land to develop other people's land while your own ibo land stagnate is nothing to beat chest with. What are you going to hand over to the next ibo generation? A bunch of slave workers working in Yorubaland like dogs and paying taxes to develop Yorubaland? You can not take Yorubaland back to your ibo villages.

You people need to bury your heads in shame because the joke is on you. You are once again the loser. Ibo people are dumb sha...

To the average easterner, traveling to Lagos is like traveling to London. You need to see the excitement on their faces when they arrive their airports to board Lagos bound planes but if we should keep to the topic, I want to ask you Biafrans how many people from Oyo state live in Enugu compared to the number of people from Enugu in Ibadan. You keep dissing the land and your brothers never stop rushing and filling up spaces in buses heading for the SW. Isn't it ironic?

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 11:56pm On Dec 15, 2012
tomakint:
the day u tell me the numbers of tribal marks on ur cheeks I will tell you my course of study i tot u said u knew me at U.I undecidedOponu so 'we nu, omo eran now u know my alma mater, can u tell us urs? *Greatest Ife* cool

Everyone on this forum knows I am a graduate of OAU and I have people on this forum who knew me even while in School

Now tell us what you studied and the year you graduated
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by redsun(m): 11:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
geez*:

To the average easterner, traveling to Lagos is like traveling to London. You need to see the excitement on their faces when they arrive their airports to board Lagos bound planes

Sometimes you guys forget that lagos state was the federal capital of nigeria,a nigerian state,developed by nigerians,with nigerian resources.

Like new york to america.Triba primates.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Oyo State Government Finally Reconstructing Yinka Ayefele’s Music House / KWAM 1 Performs Live At APC Campaign Headquarters / Rivers Assembly Passes Motion To Derecognise Omehia As Former Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.