Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30060 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by kingingkinging: 2:09pm On Dec 14, 2012
Financial Times lists Ibadan as one of 5 African cities to watch!

In an article published by the Financial Times, Ibadan is listed as one of the “next 5” cities in Africa. According to the article, the city possesses a “rapidly growing economy but serious business climate deficiencies – that offer some of the biggest potential rewards – provided multinationals can stomach the risks.”

Other African cities on the come up include Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, Dar es Salaam in Tanzania, Kinshasa in Congo and Mombasa in Kenya.

Some of the world’s largest companies have already made inroads into these economies. Diaego, one of the world’s largest brewing companies, paid $225m for Ethiopia’s state-owned brewer Meta Abo last year, to tap into Addis Ababa’s growing consumer market. What’s more, the African Union is headquartered in the city, making it the political capital of Africa, Frontier says. That’s a bit of a stretch, but the business buzz in Addis is undeniable.

Fellow beer group Heineken is spending $325m in Kinshasa, Congo’s capital. Frontier says: “while poverty and an underdeveloped infrastructure reduce market size in Kinshasa, staggering population growth and consistently higheconomic growth means the city of 10 million cannot remain ignored by many MNCs.”

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania’s largest city, arguably offers the best investment prospects of all. Taking into account its size, short-term stability and growth, Frontier ranks it as the third best risk-weighted business opportunity in all of Africa by 2015.

An emerging trade hub in east Africa, it is increasingly handling more cargo than Mombasa, the region’s other sea trade centre. And Japanese carmaker Honda Motor has recently shown an interest, teaming up with a Tanzanian company and preparing to build an assembly plant to expand sales in the city.

There are risks to expanding in all of these markets, of course – Frontier highlights the usual concerns about infrastructure, corruption, and regulation. But Africa is the fastest growing and most rapidly urbanising region in the world. The risks of staying out could be greater still.

The article also forecasts that the economy of Lagos, which is listed as one of the “Big 5”, will by 2015, outweigh that of it’s nearest competitor, Johannesburg, which has the biggest economy in Africa. Johannesburg has a nominal GDP output of $51billion, while Lagos has a GDP of $40billion but that of Lagos is predicted to jump when Nigeria rebases its economic statistics next year.

The Big 5′ - cities are said to be broadly politically and economically-stable, and already major FDI destinations. They are: Accra, Ghana; Johannesburg, South Africa; Lagos, Nigeria; Luanda, Angola; and Nairobi, Kenya.

It would seem fate has quite the sense of humour, with this article declaring Lagos as “economically-stable” just as the state has been declared insolvent by the Revenue Commision.

http://www.ynaija.com/thenextbigthing-financial-times-lists-ibadan-as-part-of-african-cities-to-watch/
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by kingingkinging: 2:27pm On Dec 14, 2012
[

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by bushwailo: 2:41pm On Dec 14, 2012
Can you please go to https://www.nairaland.com/1132455/enugu-vs-ibadan-old-western
If you wanna talk about Ibadan.

Stop propagating myths

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by kingingkinging: 2:47pm On Dec 14, 2012
Is it a fight?

What is propaganda in the fact that I saw a good news about my place and I have decided to post it.

If you have a problem with that please open up.

Ibadan is one of the big things with over 5 industrial estates, FDI's, etc.

Haters go and die.

South West O ni baje ooo

22 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 14, 2012
kingingkinging: Is it a fight?

What is propaganda in the fact that I saw a good news about my place and I have decided to post it.

If you have a problem with that please open up.

Ibadan is one of the big things with over 5 industrial estates, FDI's, etc.

Haters go and die.

South West O ni baje ooo

Don't mind him. This is about where you can invest, not where you are likely to get kidnapped.

30 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Willywilly9: 3:58pm On Dec 14, 2012
kingingkinging: TheNextBigThing? Financial Times lists Ibadan as one of 5 African cities to watch!

In an article published by the Financial Times, Ibadan is listed as one of the “next 5” cities in Africa.
Continue making mistake, Financial times listed Ibadan as one of 5 African old Zoo to watch

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by veraponpo(m): 4:34pm On Dec 14, 2012
Willy+willy:

Continue making mistake, Financial times listed Ibadan as one of 5 African old Zoo to watch
The reality you dont want to face is that Ibadan is not in the class of any eastern cities. Ibadan is well industrialized I believe after Lagos and Ogun or better than Ogun state but far better than any Eastern state. It is big, With over 3 milion people
It is a good market for Foreign direct investment, small scale companies as well as agriculture. If you dont like Ibadan, you can go and hug power plant.

7 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Willywilly9: 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
Are you from that Zoo
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ektbear: 5:28pm On Dec 14, 2012

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Willywilly9: 5:51pm On Dec 14, 2012
Picture of Ibadan shows that the place is a very big Zoo
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by nifemi01(m): 6:34pm On Dec 14, 2012
Ibadan d next big thing? Ibadan was once d big thing,not anymore though.
If ibadan is d next big thing in africa then we are in trouble. I don't see any meaning progress dat town can make within d next one year than can be spectacular

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by kettykin: 7:01pm On Dec 14, 2012
Possibily the Proximity of Ibadan to Lagos and the Populaton of Ibadan could make it a City to watch out for . but funny Enough even Lagos is under a very big threat as other formerly small villages in Nger Delta are turning into Cities with International Airports and some are planning Deep Sea Ports.i think the person who wrote this article must be a Journalist and not an Economist or a Surveyor/City planner

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
kettykin: Possibily the Proximity of Ibadan to Lagos and the Populaton of Ibadan could make it a City to watch out for . but funny Enough even Lagos is under a very big threat as other formerly small villages in Nger Delta are turning into Cities with International Airports and some are planning Deep Sea Ports.i think the person who wrote this article must be a Journalist and not an Economist or a Surveyor/City planner

Why should Lagos be in trouble because there is development in other parts of Nigeria? Isn't this what people said when the Capital of Nigeria was moved from Lagos to Abuja?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 7:09pm On Dec 14, 2012
kettykin: Possibily the Proximity of Ibadan to Lagos and the Populaton of Ibadan could make it a City to watch out for . but funny Enough even Lagos is under a very big threat as other formerly small villages in Nger Delta are turning into Cities with International Airports and some are planning Deep Sea Ports.i think the person who wrote this article must be a Journalist and not an Economist or a Surveyor/City planner

Following your argument, One would expect Nasarawas proximity to Abuja to also make them a state to watch

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2012
Aigbofa:

Why should Lagos be in trouble because there is development in other parts of Nigeria? Isn't this what people said when the Capital of Nigeria was moved from Lagos to Abuja?

The Federal Capital has been moved from Lagos to Abuja for over 20yrs now yet the economy of Lagos is booming and even more than it was in 1992.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

The Federal Capital has been moved from Lagos to Abuja for over 20yrs now yet the economy of Lagos is booming and even more than it was in 1992.

That's right. That is why I find it strange someone would believe Lagos is threatened by some seaport that is not even built yet.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Afam4eva(m): 7:36pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Following your argument, One would expect Nasarawas proximity to Abuja to also make them a state to watch

Even Abuja is not a city to watch out for because unlike Lagos, it's not a commercial but a political city. The guy is right, Ibadan was probably named because of it's close proximity to lagos.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by muktarl: 7:37pm On Dec 14, 2012
Willy+willy:
Picture of Ibadan shows that the place is a very big Zoo

To me the picture looks more like a disorganized, barbaric, stone-age era. No insult intended..
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 14, 2012
Before ibadan will develop like Festac town it will be in 20years time with serious funding from world bank. with up to 100,000 Chinese labourers.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2012
Determinants of a city with potential include but are not limited to the following:

Skill pool of talents NOT Yoruba, Alakija, Oluwole, Agboro, Baba Ijebu, Juju man etc.

World-class infrastructure NOT useless road and railway, dirty corner shops (kiosk), no electricity, poo infested hospitals etc.

Decent housing for immigrants NOT rusty roof sheets on old buildings, and mud houses with babalawo inside.

Good & healthy food for residents NOT Amala & ewedu with one gallon of oil, ewa and gbegiri, eforiro with sand and leaf.

So can someone tell me why any investor would want to head for Ibadan? Clean up that state and then we can have a conversation but until then, dream on undecided

10 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2012
I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 14, 2012
I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan from the picture.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by simdam500(m): 7:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
Where LAG they! Ehn
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
Ibadan people make una wisen up o, na strategy we Oyinbo go come give Una mirror collect all the remaining cocoa wey remain.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by greall1: 7:47pm On Dec 14, 2012
The larggest city.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by SamConquer(m): 7:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
Torino:my lord is it the ibadan i know??....Lord Jagara:are u askin me?i am shock also!is it the rusted zinc,dead road,poluted environment and archaic architecture!!!..are u sure financial times management are ok??*ful of suprises*
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
Ibadan has always been underrated. I wonder why places like Kano, Kaduna and PH get better rating and attention than Ibadan.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Afam4eva(m): 7:55pm On Dec 14, 2012
Jarus: Ibadan has always been underrated. I wonder why places like Kano, Kaduna and PH get better rating and attention than Ibadan.
Can you list reasons why these cities should not be rated ahead of Ibadan? Ibadan is just one big residential city. That's what it is.

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by omodapson(m): 7:55pm On Dec 14, 2012
I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan from the picture. [/quote]
uihebom: I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan from the picture.

How myopic can you be?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by manny4life(m): 7:58pm On Dec 14, 2012
Good development.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Judge Flees As Thugs Disrupt Proceedings Against Fayose / We’ll Be Happy If Father Mbaka’s Predictions Come To Pass – Senator Gamawa / 4 Personalities Who Inspired The Nation This Year, By Dr. Godwin Maduka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.