Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30105 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 11:39am On Dec 15, 2012
nitrogen:
You are not far from the truth, for real, there are many companies in Ibadan, I once argued with someone about this, but I was disproved of my assertions when we visited only Oluyole Estate.
Are you for real? Please i will like to know the companies/industries that are located in Ibadan if you are!
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 11:46am On Dec 15, 2012
Paul John:

1. Lagos(special consideration been the old FCT)
2. Rivers(Oil)
3. Delta(oil)
4. Oyo, Ibadan(productivity & industrialization without any special consideration from the top government)

Haters, bad belles think again.
height of mischeif! Why did you remove Imo? What is the difference btw Oyo and Imo, with all the industries, population and what have you in Oyo?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 11:50am On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: Are you for real? Please i will like to know the companies/industries that are located in Ibadan if you are!

You're ignorant. Historically this has never served you.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 11:56am On Dec 15, 2012
1forall: I wager many of these haters haven't even been to Ibadan city before.

I no blame them na wetin dem dey see for express. I had many of their type as friends while studying in Ife - Lagos boys whose only knowledge of Ibadan was what they saw between the toll gate and Iwo Road, on their to Ife from Lagos. When we started attending parties in Ibadan, actually going into town, UI (esp Queens/Idia cheesy) and visiting other cool places, these guys begin talk another story oh, na to find any excuse to go to Ib from Ife whether na rave oh, houseparty oh or even boredom. So I won't blame the ignoramuses.
I can only imagine what Ibadan would be like if Oyo State could have a governor in Fashola's mould.
Fallacy! I traversed Ibadan myself, right from the gate of UI to other parts of the and i stand tall to say that Ibadan is not fit to be called a city, it is actually the worlds biggest slum!
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 11:58am On Dec 15, 2012
demmy:

You're ignorant. Historically this has never served you.
Can you simply answer the question posed to you and stop being daft!
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 15, 2012
demmy:

You get a life you tribal warlord. Why can't you just be happy that different parts of Nigeria are finally enjoying progress after years of incompetent governments?? We are happy for you and your industrialized East but you're bitter because Ibadan is finally moving forward Why

far be it from me to be bitter about anything in d west,both good and bad. Am inert. Or wat points can u use to support ur allegations? None. U see, i only write on dese threads only when yoruba ppl see a plain thread but will like to add something eastern to it. Read d posts above u will see dat your brodas started n always start d tribalistic rubbish. N dont misunderstand me again, u hear?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 12:11pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: Can you simply answer the question posed to you and stop being daft!

Ignorant troll, the city have three industrial estates. What do you suppose they are doing there? What do you supposed over 3 million residents are doing Despite the neglect Ibadan still remains the publishing center in Nigeria. There are industries in confectionaries, edible-oil processing plants, soft drinks, bottling and food factories, feed mills, tobacco factory and flour mills, sawmills, paper mills, foam products, concrete poles and block making, chemicals, paints and petroleum oil depot.

Stay ignorant and Confused.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 15, 2012
ngozievergreen:

far be it from me to be bitter about anything in d west,both good and bad. Am inert. Or wat points can u use to support ur allegations? None. U see, i only write on dese threads only when yoruba ppl see a plain thread but will like to add something eastern to it. Read d posts above u will see dat your brodas started n always start d tribalistic rubbish. N dont misunderstand me again, u hear?
Madam, I disagree, the first tribalistic comment ' Can you please go to http://
www.nairaland.com/1132455/enugu-
vs-ibadan-old-western
If you wanna talk about Ibadan.
Stop propagating myths' is from an easterner.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 1:00pm On Dec 15, 2012
ngozievergreen:

Yet not "inert" enough to prevent you from putting your mouth to this southwest topic. Can you say inferiority complex!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 1:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
Recent foreign investment in Ibadan:

‘We Are Committed To Changing The Face Of Packaged Juice Production In Nigeria’

Johan Voight is the General Manager, Clover West Africa. Clover Industries, the largest manufacturer of dairy products in Africa are the manufacturers of Tropika, a uniquely refreshing drink made from dairy skimmed milk and fruit juice. Voight speaks with BUKOLA APATA on the Tropika brand

When did Tropika join the fruit juice market in Nigeria?

TROPIKA was introduced in September 2010, and it has been enjoying tremendous acceptability across the country as we have a robust network of distribution channels facilitated by our partners

Since entering the Nigerian market space, how has the sales return been?

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107656:we-are-committed-to-changing-the-face-of-packaged-juice-production-in-nigeria&catid=31:business&Itemid=562

We are satisfied with our sales as it increases on a monthly basis; and with our ever-widening distribution links, we believe it would continue to soar. Our target consumers have also embraced our brand since introduction and have continually picked Tropika at every identifiable sales point and this has moved sales and also allowed us to do more for our esteemed consumers.

Given the seeming saturation in the market space, how difficult has it been gaining acceptance?

Our brand is not like other juices; it is a fruit and dairy blend. This feature has helped the product greatly in standing up to competition, as consumers like products that would add more to them generally. On our part, we would keep the standards high to ensure that we sustain our consumers’ interest, especially as we approach the festive period.

Competitors are initiating rewards for their teeming consumers, what is Tropika doing in this regard?

We are constantly running trade promotions to reward our customers. We recently took a select few of our consumers, our media partners and other partners to the beach in Lagos to give them a true Tropika experience. Such quality time with our stakeholders will, however, not be limited to Lagos as we would soon be in your city; this move is also endearing this product to numerous consumers across the country.

How close is the Tropika brand to its Nigerian consumers; do you now have a fully operational office?

Tropika is manufactured in Ibadan and distributed by our sole distributor FMCL to 39 cities across Nigeria and dedicated Clover staff to support the brand. So we are penetrating far and wide. Given the peculiar terrain of the country, we are presently putting in place plans and actions to see that we exclude no part of Nigeria in our distribution as we appreciate the fact that our consumers grow by the day and are present in all nook and crannies. So I would say, wait as Tropika journeys to you.

How soon would it take the brand to have a physical presence in Nigeria?

As I said earlier, we also have Clover people in Nigeria running the daily marketing and sales function all across. We are currently looking at premises to build manufacturing facilities to introduce more categories like milk and many more. When we get our plan up and running, Nigerians should expect a whole 360 juicy experience from us.

It is the yuletide season; brands do a lot in celebrating with their consumers. Does Tropika have any package for its teeming consumers?

We have many marketing activities currently running to promote the Tropika brand as we go into the Christmas holidays and we are also looking at avenues to reward our faithful consumers with products to celebrate the holidays with. So Nigerians should stay tuned to the Tropika stations.

In some quarters, it is quite a challenge getting Tropika in the market or at nearby stores. This brings the distribution network to question?

We are increasing our numeric distribution every month to bring it closer to consumers. In this way, in a short while, our product will be everywhere in the country, where consumers can access them easily. So, all those who constantly long for the smooth taste of Tropika, you have but a little more time to wait. We promise we would get to you sooner than you think or expect.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2012
demmy:

Yet not "inert" enough to prevent you from putting your mouth to this southwest topic. Can you say inferiority complex!!!
an easterner cant feel inferior to any oda person in Nig,so dont impose dt one on me. Again, u mustnt reply my posts.
My only point on dis thread(since u are too blind to see) is dat its unecessary to link wat financial times said to d east,dat d easterners r nt d source of ur problems. Period. Ur brodas started dis. N bragging abt industries in d west is nothing, yorubas dont own much dere. Aside d foreigners, igbos r next(agree if u r nt dumb). Come to d east n see what indigenous industries are.we r talkin abt car assemblies n u are stl on foam n plastics wch is nothing here. Stop making me laf. N dont reply me cos i wont send.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Afam4eva(m): 2:30pm On Dec 15, 2012
Paul John:

May be you visit oluyole estate to understand how industrious Ibadan is. Believe me, the whole thing you call industry In your Enugu is not up to half of what's in IB. Wonder why she's the fourth most productive state in the federation, behind Lagos, Rivers(oil) and Delta(Oil)
I can't remember ever calling Enugu an industrial town.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 2:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: height of mischeif! Why did you remove Imo? What is the difference btw Oyo and Imo, with all the industries, population and what have you in Oyo?

Because Imo is not in Top 4
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 2:49pm On Dec 15, 2012
ngozievergreen:
an easterner cant feel inferior to any oda person in Nig,so dont impose dt one on me. Again, u mustnt reply my posts.
My only point on dis thread(since u are too blind to see) is dat its unecessary to link wat financial times said to d east,dat d easterners r nt d source of ur problems. Period. Ur brodas started dis. N bragging abt industries in d west is nothing, yorubas dont own much dere. Aside d foreigners, igbos r next(agree if u r nt dumb). Come to d east n see what indigenous industries are.we r talkin abt car assemblies n u are stl on foam n plastics wch is nothing here. Stop making me laf. N dont reply me cos i wont send.

Stick to your east then and stop having bad belle about development in the southwest. Leave us with our "foam and plastics" and concentrate on your "car assemblies". Its all good. No need for bitterness. You do you we do us. bur bye, troll.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by tomakint: 3:00pm On Dec 15, 2012
veraponpo:
The reality you dont want to face is that Ibadan is not in the class of any eastern cities. Ibadan is well industrialized I believe after Lagos and Ogun or better than Ogun state but far better than any Eastern state. It is big, With over 3 milion people
It is a good market for Foreign direct investment, small scale companies as well as agriculture. If you dont like Ibadan, you can go and hug power plant.

I don't intend to join issues with you, have you been to any major cities in the eastern part before?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by AndreUweh(m): 3:07pm On Dec 15, 2012
tomakint:

I don't intend to join issues with you, have you been to any major cities in the eastern part before?
They hardly step out of their natural habitat.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2012
demmy:

Ignorant troll, the city have three industrial estates. What do you suppose they are doing there? What do you supposed over 3 million residents are doing Despite the neglect Ibadan still remains the publishing center in Nigeria. There are industries in confectionaries, edible-oil processing plants, soft drinks, bottling and food factories, feed mills, tobacco factory and flour mills, sawmills, paper mills, foam products, concrete poles and block making, chemicals, paints and petroleum oil depot.

Stay ignorant and Confused.
You sound so unintelligent. I asked you to name the manufacturing industries located in Ibadan but instead of doing so, you went about yapping like a child. I want names not bland statements like block industries and pure water factories! What nonsense, are you a kid?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by tomakint: 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2012
Andre Uweh:
They hardly step out of their natural habitat.
My brother, you wonder why my people commit the 'fallacy of hasty generalizations' most times on this forum? undecided
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 3:21pm On Dec 15, 2012
dayokanu:

Because Imo is not in Top 4
So top 4 is now a yard stick but not top 5?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 15, 2012
tomakint:

Are you the mouth piece for the east?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by tomakint: 3:39pm On Dec 15, 2012
Josh090:
Are you the mouth piece for the east?
...and in what way has my post made me one? Just asking and I need your response asap! undecided
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 3:43pm On Dec 15, 2012
Josh090: Are you the mouth piece for the east?

He is Yibhoe as well, He is the same as Andre Uweh.

Most of the comment of Tomakint are always quoted or liked by his other ID andre Uweh. He thinks he is Yoruba because he attended University of Ibadan and can speak basic Yoruba
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Biafrarep(m): 3:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
Black Buddha: Ibadan has got potentials, of that there is no doubt. I mean, do we even need "financial times" to tell us that. If anything, that city is very big plus it's got an equally large population(3 million) to match. And what is more, for a city of that size its very safe; what else do investors look for.
Someone was even comparing IB to some cities in the SE. Its obvious u guys don't know how big the city really is. I can bet its has big as some states(no pun intended).
3 million people indeed, when you remove the 2.9 million slum dwellers, with very little purchasing power, actually around 50 cents a day, then you know that you have no market at all, except the investor wants to produce ewedu and gbegiri.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by tomakint: 3:51pm On Dec 15, 2012
dayokanu:

He is Yibhoe as well, He is the same as Andre Uweh.

Most of the comment of Tomakint are always quoted or liked by his other ID andre Uweh. He thinks he is Yoruba because he attended University of Ibadan and can speak basic Yoruba
Dayokanu is that you? Oh my goodness, I can't believe you are still here, wao ...merry christmas and a happy new year in advance ***tomakint giggles to himself*** I thought by now your dementia would have healed up, stop your character assassination of me, I am tomakint, (and not Andre Uweh, Ngodigha1, Abadaba that you were aimlessly propagating all around) a Yoruba man, who studied in OAU, Ile ife, stop the lying it is not going to help your case and for once in your life be civil when conversing with me stop peddling those innuendos against me! How is your family? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 15, 2012
tomakint:
...and in what way has my post made me one? Just asking and I need your response asap! undecided
It's not about this thread really, it's just that you are mostly pro Igbo (which is not bad in itself) but you always claim Yoruba, it doesn't match.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 3:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
If you are living in Ibadan,eating our food,drinking our water,breathing our air,walking on our soil and you come here to abuse us and the town,may you not take home anything you make in Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 3:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: 3 million people indeed, when you remove the 2.9 million slum dwellers, with very little purchasing power, actually around 50 cents a day, then you know that you have no market at all, except the investor wants to produce ewedu and gbegiri.

Well Oyo state's GDP is higher than the GDP of any state in the SE. Doesn't this tell you that the state produces a lot more more than any SE state?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
IYA NGBALI: If you are living in Ibadan,eating our food,drinking our water,breathing our air,walking on our soil and you come here to abuse us and the town,may you not take home anything you make in Ibadan.

Amen and same for those who live in Lagos and abuse the state
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
IYA NGBALI: If you are living in Ibadan,eating our food,drinking our water,breathing our air,walking on our soil and you come here to abuse us and the town,may you not take home anything you make in Ibadan.

Amen and same for those Biafrans who live in Lagos and abuse the state
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 3:59pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: You sound so unintelligent. I asked you to name the manufacturing industries located in Ibadan but instead of doing so, you went about yapping like a child. I want names not bland statements like block industries and pure water factories! What nonsense, are you a kid?

What an imbecilic troll. Asking me for names of manufacturing industries in Ibadan!!! The i.d.i.ot was told there are 3 industrial estates yet he is asking me for names. Stop wasting my time with your inferiority complex. Go play your tribal war games somewhere else I am busy.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 15, 2012
@tomakint, I don't intend for you to be a tribal bigot o, whenever you want to defend the easterners you are free to do so, but in this case they are the aggressors and you should keep away if you don't have any positive thing to say about your homeland.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by tomakint: 4:02pm On Dec 15, 2012
Josh090:
It's not about this thread really, it's just that you are mostly pro Igbo (which is not bad in itself) but you always claim Yoruba, it doesn't match.

Well, I must confess, you talk like a wise guy who sound objective especially in your last post (the one I am quoting now). I would have loved it if you can point my attention to those ‘posts of mine’ that were somehow according to you. I don’t think you’ve ever stayed in the eastern part of Nigeria before. Most Yoruba-raised children are born to engage the Igbo-raised children in an ‘unnecessary innate rivalries’, which on the long run blossom into ‘games of hatred’ that is still prevalent till date. I was born with those traits and I live with those traits for many years until I was privileged to visit the Eastern part (Abia State) and lived there (Isuikwuato) for more than a year. After my departure from Isuikwuato, I was renewed; my hatred was replaced with a deep love for my Igbo brothers and sisters! I understood their positions, passions, ways of lives, ethics, traditions, dos and don’ts, merits and demerits, tastes about lives, beliefs and lastly their weaknesses.

Most of the tribes (particularly the Yorubas) have failed to understand the feelings of the Igbos toward the contraption called Nigeria. Up to now, they have not been integrated fully into Nigeria’s political mainstream, they are still being suspected after 42 years of an ill-fated Nigerian-Biafran war that crushed them and left them totally broken spiritually, financially and emotionally. After 42 years, some goons still deride them of what befell them in the Civil War! I thought I heard and read it in history that after the unfortunate war, the common slogan of the then Military Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, to the new unified country was ‘No victor, no vanquished,’ perhaps, I was wrong! They (the Igbos) have been the butt of jokes everywhere on Nairaland as if other tribes are better of on what we accused them of. I have realised that majorities who always poke fun at this progressive tribe have neither visited Igbo land nor have stayed there for a while even though they might have paid a visit. The Igbos may have made some costly political mistakes at the beginning of the journey called Nigeria through their leaders (especially the sly Zik of Africa, who wants to have it all) but that doesn’t make all IGBOS sly. Yorubas have bad leaders too; does that make all YORUBAS bad? No!

My position is; the N’digbos is a race who found themselves in a place where they have to chart their own course, regardless of the odds stacked against them! They took their own destinies in their own hands and today by dints of hard work, never-say die spirits and knack for commerce they are the better for it. President of Nigeria or not, Igbos have no cause to worry. I visited so many places while I was in Igbo land and I must confess I have to give it to them; the Igbo story is a unique example of dreams do come true!

Once again, I am not expecting you to believe me but I have to state my opinion about a race I will forever love for the rest of my life. For the records, I am a Yoruba man from Ondo State, if you are still being bamboozled by dayokanu's scams I am afraid I cannot help you, my point!!! wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Revealed: Seized 47 Suvs, 100 Motorcycles Bought For Jonathan’s Campaign / Atiku Pays 7-Year-Old Chimamanda's Surgery Bill, Sends Her Back To School / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala With Ahmed Mohammed Ali, President Of Islamic Bank (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.