Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30090 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by omobadan(m): 7:59pm On Dec 14, 2012
I don't know what they see before making Ibadan one of 5 African cities to watch. But what a lot of Nigerians don't see when it comes to any Nigerian cities beside Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt is the enormous potential other States/Cities have. Ibadan, the sleeping giant of Africa is gradually waking up from her slumber. Do people actually think the Financial Times will just pluck any city from thin air? Ibadan is building secretly and if people think the aesthestics of the city right now is the reason why they're dismissing the report, then they don't know anything about their own country. Most of the negative response is from people who can't see past their noses. This should be treated as a bit of good news but what I see is silliness. Typical of Nigerians. Keep seeing brown roofs on your way to Lagos and when foreigners start making billions off you, you go dey complain. Open your eyes people!

7 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 14, 2012
uihebom: I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan.
Can a comment be more moronic than this?

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:04pm On Dec 14, 2012
kingingkinging: Is it a fight?

What is propaganda in the fact that I saw a good news about my place and I have decided to post it.

If you have a problem with that please open up.

Ibadan is one of the big things with over 5 industrial estates, FDI's, etc.

Haters go and die.

South West O ni baje ooo
omo ibadan kini so?so o suo grin grin
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 8:04pm On Dec 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Even Abuja is not a city to watch out for because unlike Lagos, it's not a commercial but a political city. The guy is right, Ibadan was probably named because of it's close proximity to lagos.

Why wasnt Abeokuta named or it isnt closer to Lagos than Ibadan?

Is Kano not a commercial city? So we should expect katsina too to be a City to watch out for

Is Aba or Onitsha not a political city why were they not named
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Can you list reasons why these cities should not be rated ahead of Ibadan? Ibadan is just one big residential city. That's what it is.
Dude we've posted enough pictures of Ibadan on this thread for you >www.nairaland.com/1132455/enugu-vs-ibadan-old-western
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Afam4eva(m): 8:07pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Why wasnt Abeokuta named or it isnt closer to Lagos than Ibadan?

Is Kano not a commercial city? So we should expect katsina too to be a City to watch out for

Is Aba or Onitsha not a political city why were they not named
The development from lagos is heading towards Ibadan through the Lagos-Ibadan route. Unfortunately, AB is not in this route but that's not to say it won't benefit one way or the day from Lagos.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Eltonluigi(m): 8:08pm On Dec 14, 2012
The publication was paid for by Ibadan Local govt.(pun intended).
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:09pm On Dec 14, 2012
Willy+willy:

Continue making mistake, Financial times listed Ibadan as one of 5 African old Zoo to watch
keep hating oponu ode
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 8:11pm On Dec 14, 2012
afam4eva:
The development from lagos is heading towards Ibadan through the Lagos-Ibadan route. Unfortunately, AB is not in this route but that's not to say it won't benefit one way or the day from Lagos.

Are you not tired of getting flogged intellectually today?

is Otta, Agbara that are developing cities also along the Lagos-Ibadan express way?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ice4jez(m): 8:12pm On Dec 14, 2012
cray country with crazy citizens always hating each other.the indirect rule dey use on u pple will remain for generations till u wake up.if u want to attach ibo use yoruba n hausa n if its yoruba use ibo n hausa n the list goes on.a country in which no matter how educated dey re dey re filled with hate for other tribe.a house divided among it self will never stand.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
veraponpo:
The reality you dont want to face is that Ibadan is not in the class of any eastern cities. Ibadan is well industrialized I believe after Lagos and Ogun or better than Ogun state but far better than any Eastern state. It is big, With over 3 milion people
It is a good market for Foreign direct investment, small scale companies as well as agriculture. If you dont like Ibadan, you can go and hug power plant.
above all ibadan is a very peaceful place with very accomodating people

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:16pm On Dec 14, 2012
uihebom: I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan.
omo ale ni e,ko de ni da fun awom molebi e

4 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 14, 2012
Bad mouthing of Ibadan must stop!
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by AKMoney1(m): 8:19pm On Dec 14, 2012
uihebom: Before ibadan will develop like Festac town it will be in 20years time with serious funding from world bank. with up to 100,000 Chinese labourers.

Oponu omo ale, where are u from? What is festac town compare to Oluyole estate, Agodi GRA and a lot of places in Ib city. You think with ur anus and people like u grew up in mushin, ajegunle, ebute metta etc. Oloshi enemy of progress *spit*
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 8:21pm On Dec 14, 2012
Josh090:
Can a comment be more moronic than this?

Don't mind him jare, his grand father probably studied and worked in Ibadan.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by nitrogen(m): 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2012
IYA NGBALI: omo ale ni e,ko de ni da fun awom molebi e
Yeeeeepaaaaahhhh! See curse! Mama ngbali, take am easy o.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2012
IYA NGBALI: omo ale ni e,ko de ni da fun awom molebi e
ekwensu mi kwa gi aka ni Ike.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by alaoeri: 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2012
Wetin be Financial Times again.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:27pm On Dec 14, 2012
uihebom: ekwensu mi kwa gi aka ni Ike.
same to you million times. Fokn baaaaaaastard,omo ajaokuta ma mu omi,oloshi ode alakori
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 8:27pm On Dec 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Can you list reasons why these cities should not be rated ahead of Ibadan? Ibadan is just one big residential city. That's what it is.

May be you visit oluyole estate to understand how industrious Ibadan is. Believe me, the whole thing you call industry In your Enugu is not up to half of what's in IB. Wonder why she's the fourth most productive state in the federation, behind Lagos, Rivers(oil) and Delta(Oil)
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 8:28pm On Dec 14, 2012
IBADAN

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by bristol201(m): 8:29pm On Dec 14, 2012
omobadan: I don't know what they see before making Ibadan one of 5 African cities to watch. But what a lot of Nigerians don't see when it comes to any Nigerian cities beside Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt is the enormous potential other States/Cities have. Ibadan, the sleeping giant of Africa is gradually waking up from her slumber. Do people actually think the Financial Times will just pluck any city from thin air? Ibadan is building secretly and if people think the aesthestics of the city right now is the reason why they're dismissing the report, then they don't know anything about their own country. Most of the negative response is from people who can't see past their noses. This should be treated as a bit of good news but what I see is silliness. Typical of Nigerians. Keep seeing brown roofs on your way to Lagos and when foreigners start making billions off you, you go dey complain. Open your eyes people!

Thanks you. You have said it all.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by solomonkane(m): 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2012
I am reading the comments on here and I am amazed but not surprised by the level of idiocy being displayed which seems to have ethnic undertones. Ibadan like every other part of Nigeria has been affected by poor leadership but to say it has no potential or judge it by the zinc roofs is beyond idiotic. Bar Lagos, it has a large number of industries that only Kaduna, Kano and Onitsha can match. Here are some reasons why I think the Financial Times may be spot on:

1. Large land mass which at the moment is underutilized.
2. Established agrarian culture with its attendant attractiveness to agro allied industries.
3. Centralized location between the South West & the North like Onitsha is between the Niger Delta and the South East.
4. Proximity to Lagos; When rail services between Lagos and Ibadan become operative, commuting will become less stressful leading to massive developments in industrial and residential infrastructure as a result of large migration of people from overcrowded tiny Lagos to Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by phemi01(m): 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2012
All these troublesome & stubborn haters criticising ibadan now will still run away from their hopeless villages to go and constitute a nuisance ibadan when we mke progress. just the way they are all flooding lagos and making a mess of d beautiful lagos.

Stay in ur villages n develop it n allow d south west be.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Are you not tired of getting flogged intellectually today?

is Otta, Agbara that are developing cities also along the Lagos-Ibadan express way?

You even forgot Sagamu.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 8:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
phemi01: All these troublesome & stubborn haters criticising ibadan now will still run away from their hopeless villages to go and constitute a nuisance ibadan when we mke progress. just the way they are all flooding lagos and making a mess of d beautiful lagos.

Stay in ur villages n develop it n allow d south west be.

Abi ooo.

The Igbo cannibalistic leeches would come from their accursed caves and kidnapping haven to desecrate our land

Ati oko wa ba Ile je gbogbo

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by nitrogen(m): 8:33pm On Dec 14, 2012
Paul John:

May be you visit oluyole estate to understand how industrious Ibadan is. Believe me, the whole thing you call industry I your Enugu is not up to half of what's in IB. Wonder why she's the fourth most productive state in the federation, behind Lagos, Rivers(oil) and Delta(Oil)
You are not far from the truth, for real, there are many companies in Ibadan, I once argued with someone about this, but I was disproved of my assertions when we visited only Oluyole Estate.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by asala1: 8:33pm On Dec 14, 2012
RankStatePPP GDP (2010;
in millios
of USD)
1Lagos StateUS$33,679
2Rivers StateUS$21,073
3Delta StateUS$16,749
4Oyo StateUS$16,121
5Imo StateUS$14,212
6Kano StateUS$12,393
7Edo StateUS$11,888
-Federal Capital TerritoryUS$11,448
8Akwa Ibom StateUS$11,179
9Ogun StateUS$10,470
10Kaduna StateUS$10,334
11Cross River StateUS$9,292
12Abia StateUS$8,687
13Ondo StateUS$8,414
14Osun StateUS$7,280
15Benue StateUS$6,864
16Anambra StateUS$6,764
17Katsina StateUS$6,022
18Niger StateUS$6,002
19Borno StateUS$5,175
20Plateau StateUS$5,154
21Sokoto StateUS$4,818
22Bauchi StateUS$4,713
23Kogi StateUS$4,642
24Adamawa StateUS$4,582
25Enugu StateUS$4,396
26Bayelsa StateUS$4,337
27Zamfara StateUS$4,123
28Kwara StateUS$3,841
29Taraba StateUS$3,397
30Kebbi StateUS$3,290
31Nassarawa StateUS$3,022
32Jigawa StateUS$2,988
33Ekiti StateUS$2,848
34Ebonyi StateUS$2,732
35Gombe StateUS$2,501
36Yobe StateUS$2,011

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by phemi01(m): 8:36pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Abi ooo.

The Igbo cannibalistic leeches would come from their accursed caves and kidnapping haven to desecrate our land

Ati oko wa ba Ile je gbogbo

No mind them. They will run to ibadan when it develops n then claim they developed it wit their dubious biz sense. And claim they own 90% of the houses in ibadan. Awon weerey oshi!

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 8:39pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu: IBADAN

Dayo you took your time.
Was around that femi johnson(if I'm right about the name)glass house close to cocoa house, I was like wow!
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dayokanu(m): 8:40pm On Dec 14, 2012
Paul John:

Dayo you took your time.
Was around that femi johnson(if I'm right about the name)glass house close to cocoa house, I was like wow!

Check more photos here

https://www.nairaland.com/1132455/enugu-vs-ibadan-old-western/2

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Paris Fund: Adamawa Government Replies Nigerian Who Asked How It Was Spent / Adeleke Was Robbed, Nigeria Is Finished – Fani Kayode Declares / DSS Raids Headquarters Of EFCC, Carts Away Sensitive Documents- SaharaReporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.