Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30092 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by nnachichi(f): 8:44pm On Dec 14, 2012
grin
uihebom: I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan from the picture.
grin

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 8:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
asala1: RankStatePPP GDP (2010;
in millios
of USD)
1Lagos StateUS$33,679
2Rivers StateUS$21,073
3Delta StateUS$16,749
4Oyo StateUS$16,121

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

1. Lagos(special consideration been the old FCT)
2. Rivers(Oil)
3. Delta(oil)
4. Oyo, Ibadan(productivity & industrialization without any special consideration from the top government)

Haters, bad belles think again.

4 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:47pm On Dec 14, 2012
phemi01: All these troublesome & stubborn haters criticising ibadan now will still run away from their hopeless villages to go and constitute a nuisance ibadan when we mke progress. just the way they are all flooding lagos and making a mess of d beautiful lagos.

Stay in ur villages n develop it n allow d south west be.
very soon some of them would come there to push omolanke,rob and dupe people. Awon oloshi alakori omo ale jati jati.

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2012
The report was from Frontier Strategy Group as it was reported in This Day earlier this year

http://blog.frontierstrategygroup.com/2011/08/capturing-africa%E2%80%99s-transformative-urban-growth/

From the report:

"Names like Ouagadougou, Lubumbashi, Ibadan and Douala may not yet rank alongside Chengdu, Wuhan or Zhengzhou in consumer goods’ companies expansion planning but they should definitely be on the radar. Fortune favors the brave, and the well-informed."

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Check more photos here

https://www.nairaland.com/1132455/enugu-vs-ibadan-old-western/2

Cool shot.
I'll take my time to visit IB somedays and show these shallow minded haters how far behind their region is.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PeterKbaba: 8:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
Igbo and bad belle, chai.... see as all of them dey rush to discredit a giant state already. Cant you people just leave us alone aba....Very soon igbo man go say Ibadan na their own or no man land (as they wan use 419 theif Lagos).

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dsolo(m): 8:57pm On Dec 14, 2012
Aigbofa:

Don't mind him. This is about where you can invest, not where you are likely to get kidnapped.

Can't laugh ooo #irepibcity
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by elopee3000(m): 9:02pm On Dec 14, 2012
Tusky44: Determinants of a city with potential include but are not limited to the following:

Skill pool of talents NOT Yoruba, Alakija, Oluwole, Agboro, Baba Ijebu, Juju man etc.

World-class infrastructure NOT useless road and railway, dirty corner shops (kiosk), no electricity, poo infested hospitals etc.

Decent housing for immigrants NOT rusty roof sheets on old buildings, and mud houses with babalawo inside.

Good & healthy food for residents NOT Amala & ewedu with one gallon of oil, ewa and gbegiri, eforiro with sand and leaf.

So can someone tell me why any investor would want to head for Ibadan? Clean up that state and then we can have a conversation but until then, dream on undecided
this guy ur the funniest person on this planet and ur right u got it hundred percent

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by 1forall: 9:02pm On Dec 14, 2012
I wager many of these haters haven't even been to Ibadan city before.

I no blame them na wetin dem dey see for express. I had many of their type as friends while studying in Ife - Lagos boys whose only knowledge of Ibadan was what they saw between the toll gate and Iwo Road, on their way to Ife from Lagos. When we started attending parties in Ibadan, actually going into town, UI (esp Queens/Idia cheesy) and visiting other cool places, these guys begin talk another story oh, na to find any excuse to go to Ib from Ife whether na rave oh, houseparty oh or even boredom. So I won't blame the ignoramuses.
I can only imagine what Ibadan would be like if Oyo State could have a governor in Fashola's mould.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 9:02pm On Dec 14, 2012
Investment destinations in Nigeria 2012

Nigeria is a tale of two regions as city-level opportunities in the south overshadow widespread insecurity in the north. Companies must overcome corporate HQ fears regarding operational risks to position for long-term success in Nigeria, which remains the most attractive long-term investment destination in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Last month ethnic conflict ravaged northern Nigeria, leaving 150 dead and 100 injured. This continues a troubling trend of violence in 2012. From an investment perspective, this has rattled foreign companies that are wondering if Nigeria is becoming too risky. However, halting or drastically scaling back investment plans would be a mistake for senior executives.

Much of the violence is isolated in the economically underdeveloped north. The total GDP of 7 attack locations between April 5 and May 4 is US$25 billion, which represents less than 10% of Nigeria’s economy. On the other hand, the total GDP of 7 top investment destinations in the south is US$80 billion. This represents more than 30% of Nigeria’s economy.

Nigeria’s five largest cities, all of which are located in the south, have a combined GDP exceeding US$75 billion. This is surpassed only by Angola and South Africa. City GDP in Nigeria’s south is set to expand significantly this quarter, even if only on paper, because the government is shifting the base year for real GDP to 2009 from 1990. The result will be an overnight gain of 40% that closes the overall economy size gap between Nigeria and South Africa to only 10%.

Southern cities represent great opportunities for companies targeting emerging consumer classes, public sector projects, and other private sector companies flocking to urban areas. Companies should establish good relationships with distributors that know the southern part of the country well. Much of your sales opportunities are likely to be concentrated in this region for the foreseeable future.

http://blog.frontierstrategygroup.com/2012/05/a-tale-of-two-regions-southern-investment-northern-insecurity-in-nigeria/
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dsolo(m): 9:04pm On Dec 14, 2012
uihebom: I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan.

That means you are from Nembe in bayelsa state

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by dsolo(m): 9:11pm On Dec 14, 2012
Willy+willy:

Continue making mistake, Financial times listed Ibadan as one of 5 African old Zoo to watch

U must be an ibo boy #beef

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
Good development.

Anything to set off Nigeria.

Let the haters hate. cool
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by opeoluwa2(f): 9:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
Willy+willy:
Dirtiest Africans, Dirtiest ZOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I'm dumbfounded at this statement,lets imagine this state is dirty and a "zoo"
But some people have found it economically viable and a place to watchout for .

why do you find it difficult to accept?

Now,ibadan is a civilized city,with
strong presence of a world class university,worldclass companies like P&G,BATcompany and others.

IB has the highest second telecomms subscribers base in Nigeria.

IB is not an oil producing state,has no sea port but it is very peaceful and lifestyle is very cheap and affordable.

What are the perimeters for measuring an emerging economy?
1)Population
2)Security
Ibadan has got these and many more.
The only problem it has are the shortsighted leaders that has plagued every political realm in Nigeria.
For those of you looking at the redroof,
Its a sign of history dipicting the various stages of development .

5 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Elmojiid(m): 9:15pm On Dec 14, 2012
Willy+willy:

Continue making mistake, Financial times listed Ibadan as one of 5 African old Zoo to watch
c ur mouth,wre r u 4rm slf,u con dey cal ibadan a zoo.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 14, 2012
opeoluwa2:

I'm dumbfounded at this statement,lets imagine this state is dirty and a "zoo"
But some people have found it economically viable and a place to watchout for .

why do you find it difficult to accept?

Now,ibadan is a civilized city,with
strong presence of a world class university,worldclass companies like P&G,BATcompany and others.

IB has the highest second telecomms subscribers base in Nigeria.

IB is not an oil producing state,has no sea port but it is very peaceful and lifestyle is very cheap and affordable.

What are the perimeters for measuring an emerging economy?
1)Population
2)Security
Ibadan has got these and many more.
The only problem it has are the shortsighted leaders that has plagued every political realm in Nigeria.
For those of you looking at the redroof,
Its a sign of history dipicting the various stages of development .

You're wasting your time trying to drill knowledge into these mofos lol.

You think your enemies want you to succeed? My sister, forget that one.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 14, 2012
FG to sue financial times for mocking ibadan and Nigeria at large. ibadan should compare them self with zamfara first.i wonder if they realy collect their yearly allocation complete sef.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by adeara(m): 9:16pm On Dec 14, 2012
d pic is wat is given u headache. but dat pic only show new developing outskirt part of d city, which to me is just 1 of 30 part of ibadan if not more. i think many of u have not been to ibadan lately to see how once comercial city is rapidly turning 2 industrialized city. may be u dont know dat nigeria brewer 2nd bigest fact is in d city, BAT. Nampack ultra modern factory, d biggest biscuit company in nig is operating in there, biggest poultry farm. recently nig flour mill is in d city. scores of quarrie

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 14, 2012
demmy: The report was from Frontier Strategy Group as it was reported in This Day earlier this year

http://blog.frontierstrategygroup.com/2011/08/capturing-africa%E2%80%99s-transformative-urban-growth/

From the report:

"Names like Ouagadougou, Lubumbashi, Ibadan and Douala may not yet rank alongside Chengdu, Wuhan or Zhengzhou in consumer goods’ companies expansion planning but they should definitely be on the radar. Fortune favors the brave, and the well-informed."

Ibadan looks quite nice from this angle.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by elopee3000(m): 9:23pm On Dec 14, 2012
[b][/b]ibadan ibadan no investor will like to see peoples like adebibu or alhaji tokyo,i remember when ike nwosu was governor of oyo state then ibadan indignes were afraid of sat guru maharaji when this news got to ike nwosu hearing he layed ambush for sat guru maharaji ,one saturday morning on enviromental sanitation day while every body in ibadan re cleaning thier houses sat guru was driving around there he fail into the waiting hand of ike nwosu he was arrested taking to goverment house there he was caned very well by ike nwosu ,that made ibadan indignes to believe that igbo people re not afraid of any fucking person only GOD,

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by elopee3000(m): 9:24pm On Dec 14, 2012
[b][/b]ibadan ibadan no investor will like to see peoples like adebibu or alhaji tokyo,i remember when ike nwosu was governor of oyo state then ibadan indignes were afraid of sat guru maharaji when this news got to ike nwosu hearing he layed ambush for sat guru maharaji ,one saturday morning on enviromental sanitation day while every body in ibadan re cleaning thier houses sat guru was driving around there he fail into the waiting hand of ike nwosu he was arrested taking to goverment house there he was caned very well by ike nwosu ,that made ibadan indignes to believe that igbo people re not afraid of any fucking person only GOD,[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by barapistis(m): 9:24pm On Dec 14, 2012
Jarus: Ibadan has always been underrated. I wonder why places like Kano, Kaduna and PH get better rating and attention than Ibadan.

yeaa to add more ..ibadan is poo.may be sick..slow paced n all that but it a city in the west filled with brains .
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by deesnipes(f): 9:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
Don't mind aLl these pple hating on Ibadan, I bet most of them av neva been there before. Just keep on hating and leave ib alone , u r not needed to come and corrupt it.
And for someone to say 7lu can count d number of upstairs in Ibadan" really makes me laugh.for ur mind d picture u saw represents d whole of Ibadan abi? Just stay away and let us enjoy our brown roofs cos its a symbol of where we r coming from.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by opeoluwa2(f): 9:33pm On Dec 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

You're wasting your time trying to drill knowledge into these mofos lol.

You think your enemies want you to succeed? My sister, forget that one.

You have said it all.
Thanks
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by PaulJohn1: 9:34pm On Dec 14, 2012
I gave this illustration on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1106513/mokola-roundabout-bridge-construction-update/1

But no, these shallow minded bad belles won't code it

Paul John:

The planning of Ibadan is very funny, such that anywhere you're traveling from on you way to Lagos, it's the indecent area you'll pass through.
Imagine someone coming from Akure or the South/East, entering Ibadan through Gbagi through to Iwo road flyover, turning left to Lagos-Ibadan expressway. Your impression will be that the whole of Ibadan is made of ancient buildings with the buildings present in that area. Not knowing you're just seeing not up to 1/10 of the whole city.
The organised areas: challenge, mokola, bodija, ashi, iyana church and rest are not seen.

But I can say Ajumobi is doing fine, with the orderliess he has brought to that Iwo road flyover and other things I've seen around.
The second flyover you'll go through entering Ibadan from Lagos that intersects Ijebu-Ode road from Ogun is amazing, the landscaping and beautification is lovely.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by barapistis(m): 9:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
adding more again the few good looking city in north will make think the west is got nothing .been there n lived among them..but lol the west is got the hype in nigeria..lastly as a business guy,if you could blossom in business in ibadan you can do more anywhere in nigeria..give respect to the west abeg
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 14, 2012
I'm lagos based and I've been in ibadan for 3 yrs.

1.University of Ibadan -Arguably the best in Nigeria
2.UCH Ibadan -second best medical college teaching school in Ibadan
3.3 million plus population
4.Eruwa-A chain of mountain ranges about 20 in number.An unnoticed tourist haven.
5.Stable economy-due the production of agricultural products.
6.Ibadan polo club mokola-one of the best in Nigeria.
7.koko dome,411,Options,Premier hotel,O305 -night life intact
8.Liberty stadium Ibadan.
9.Splash Fm-broadcasting from Ibadan to lagos.reaching about 20million in the southwest.

Ibadan is a lagos of about 12yrs ago.p
Pre Tinubu Lagos,very dirty and full of thugs.It only need visionary leadership.
If U̶̲̥̅̊ have never been to Ibadan before ,or U̶̲̥̅̊ did not use up to one month,and ur saying trash about Ibadan,GOD GO PUNISH U̶̲̥̅̊ !!!

5 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by shooze: 9:40pm On Dec 14, 2012
Ibadan is a nice place to live. Peaceful and easy. It also has some major industries , P & G, sumal, seven up , bat just to mention a few . I have lived there for a while now and aside the sometime boring nature of the city I would not trade it for any other city

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by geez1: 9:40pm On Dec 14, 2012
Next thing some people will do is start posting pictures of the best places in their states which is like 20% the size of Ibadan and is far behind the economy of the booming south western state

Yourbaland o Ni baje
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 9:44pm On Dec 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Ibadan looks quite nice from this angle.

Of course. Sure the city have been neglected but the foundation is good and it can be awaken again. Lets hope the governor is serious.

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by billtommy(m): 9:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
Who says ibadan is a city? That person must be a dreamer, apart from being a peaceful village? Nothing else is good about that village
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by billtommy(m): 9:45pm On Dec 14, 2012
Who says ibadan is a city? That person must be a dreamer, apart from being a peaceful village? Nothing else is good about that village......5 years? Not even a millenuium.....dream on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Boko Haram Recaptures Gamboru / Pro-Biafra Supporters In London & Switzerland For Anniversary Of Biafra / Pro-Buhari Rally Staged In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.