Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,598 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times (30102 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:31am On Dec 15, 2012
bandiejay:

One of my best reply today now imagine Ibadan with these same Old roof turning to a source of tourism for the state where people all over the world want to have the old feelings business now come's in for Real Estate, hotels,which means baba mulika the bricklayer go see work..welder go see work banks go dey well well others go come Ibadan city come find work the must buy food,pay for house rent and my grandfather house wey dey empty go dey occupied....hmmn! i love that old roof die
a da fun e omo iya mi
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:37am On Dec 15, 2012
And to d rest of d ofemmanus thinking dat dis is a fertile ground to envy d east as if d easterners r d problems of d yorubas, shame on u. What group of humans are u? If dey say anything good abt d igbos, all ur bodies will go haywire. Just dat financial times asked u ppl to watch Ibadan, dey started comparing demselves to easterners. But,i want u ppl to know dis, 'poverty is almost unknown in d east'.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ikwerefistson: 8:44am On Dec 15, 2012
kingingkinging: Is it a fight?

What is propaganda in the fact that I saw a good news about my place and I have decided to post it.

If you have a problem with that please open up.

Ibadan is one of the big things with over 5 industrial estates, FDI's, etc.

Haters go and die.

South West O ni baje ooo
nw i knw wer ds sentiment is cmg frm.u jst wnt 2 roll out d gbedu drums 4 a city characterisd wit thatchd houses nd acient dirty buldngs.ya sw baje gon

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ikwerefistson: 8:46am On Dec 15, 2012
Aigbofa:

Don't mind him. This is about where you can invest, not where you are likely to get kidnapped.
neidr would anyone invest in wer dy wil be robed by amala swalowing lazy citizens

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:49am On Dec 15, 2012
shymexx:

I'll jump in for the guy...

Why do you think it's impossible?? If without oil and all the miscellaneous(seaports, airport, huge population etc.) that Lagos has, Ibadan's GDP is about half Lagos' GDP - I believe it can definitely surpass Lagos with good management, to be honest... The potentials are there...

I just saw some interesting stuffs about the old city - Ibadan is grossly underrated...
pls tell them
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:50am On Dec 15, 2012
Ikwere fist son: neidr would anyone invest in wer dy wil be robed by amala swalowing lazy citizens
were alaso,what do you know?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by matrixme(m): 8:51am On Dec 15, 2012
Well, apart from the fact that dirt lives in Ibadan comfortably, I personally see no reason why it cannot compete favourably with that proud Lagos! After all it has a prestigious university that could churn out more professionals at post-graduate level easier than UNILAG (oops! My bad. MAULAG). Besides, things are quite cheaper in IB than it obtains in probably any other city in Nigeria. So given an easy access to professionals and cheaper production costs (arguably) plus other potentials, why won't any sensible investor be tempted soon enough?
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:52am On Dec 15, 2012
ngozievergreen: And to d rest of d ofemmanus thinking dat dis is a fertile ground to envy d east as if d easterners r d problems of d yorubas, shame on u. What group of humans are u? If dey say anything good abt d igbos, all ur bodies will go haywire. Just dat financial times asked u ppl to watch Ibadan, dey started comparing demselves to easterners. But,i want u ppl to know dis, 'poverty is almost unknown in d east'.
no wonder all your people do not travel and live in other parts of nigeria. Oponu ni e walahi
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ikwerefistson: 8:54am On Dec 15, 2012
veraponpo:
The reality you dont want to face is that Ibadan is not in the class of any eastern cities. Ibadan is well industrialized I believe after Lagos and Ogun or better than Ogun state but far better than any Eastern state. It is big, With over 3 milion people
It is a good market for Foreign direct investment, small scale companies as well as agriculture. If you dont like Ibadan, you can go and hug power plant.
i nw undastnd dat u kan se beyund ur nostrils.apart frm lagos wic is nt d glory of u ofemanus.dias is no city in d west u kan compare wit d east.enugu is far more betar dan ibadan,anambra is betar nd wel developd dan d entire sw states.osun nd ondo no se owere bk.so go nd jump in2 d lagon haters

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ikwerefistson: 8:55am On Dec 15, 2012
nifemi01: Ibadan d next big thing? Ibadan was once d big thing,not anymore though.
If ibadan is d next big thing in africa then we are in trouble. I don't see any meaning progress dat town can make within d next one year than can be spectacular
ya ibadan,big 4 noting

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 8:55am On Dec 15, 2012
ba7man: While some are creating a Condusive atmosphere to attract investors, some are creating an atmosphere of Chaos in their locations. Classic example of "shooting oneself in d foot". Ibadan is a calm, peaceful location to reside in,what's not to like?? I'm sure some people are in shock that their location aint included. Lol!!!
that is just the bane of the bad belle
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ikwerefistson: 9:01am On Dec 15, 2012
Tusky44: Determinants of a city with potential include but are not limited to the following:

Skill pool of talents NOT Yoruba, Alakija, Oluwole, Agboro, Baba Ijebu, Juju man etc.

World-class infrastructure NOT useless road and railway, dirty corner shops (kiosk), no electricity, poo infested hospitals etc.

Decent housing for immigrants NOT rusty roof sheets on old buildings, and mud houses with babalawo inside.

Good & healthy food for residents NOT Amala & ewedu with one gallon of oil, ewa and gbegiri, eforiro with sand and leaf.

So can someone tell me why any investor would want to head for Ibadan? Clean up that state and then we can have a conversation but until then, dream on undecided
dnt mind d empty barels of a noise making people.alwas wnt 2be in d news nd yet as dry nd landlockd lyk d desert.ofeamanu,make una change ds una i 2 knw artitude o

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ikwerefistson: 9:03am On Dec 15, 2012
Jarus: Ibadan has always been underrated. I wonder why places like Kano, Kaduna and PH get better rating and attention than Ibadan.
shoe get size na

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Ikwerefistson: 9:05am On Dec 15, 2012
omodapson: I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan from the picture. I can even count how many upstairs in ibadan from the picture.

How myopic can you be?
or ure blind

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by IYANGBALI: 9:06am On Dec 15, 2012
Kzinne: local champion
leave am,he beta pass you wey no be champion at all at all
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Peter8(m): 9:11am On Dec 15, 2012
I like Ibadan because it is one of d peaceful cities.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by jaybee3(m): 9:32am On Dec 15, 2012
Ibadan here i come
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by EkoAtlantic2(f): 9:36am On Dec 15, 2012
Erosion ridden village akpku choper omo Igbo don release virus for this thread. Already on page 6 and still counting. grin cheesy grin

Nairaland owner give thanks to the village minded omo Igbo for increasing you income. grin grin

Time to create my own site.
Visit www.Biyafuraforomoyibo.com

Okoros you'll be the moderators wink grin

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 9:40am On Dec 15, 2012
Heritage Mall coming soon

BY the last quarter of 2012, the bubbling,rustic landscape of Ibadan Central Business District will witness a dramatic change with the opening of N1.4 billion Heritage Mall project owned by Odu’a Investment Company Limited.

Prompted by a paradigm shift in shopping habit of residents and a strategic focus on real estate investment both as a hedge against inflation and a major growth sector in the economy with premium returns, the Heritage Mall is a landmark construction that has provided jobs for over 725 people in addition to anciliary services.

Tribune Business tour of the complex now 70 per cent completed indicated a range of facilities including; banking halls, branded restaurant, children’s play area escalators and panoramic lifts, fitness gym and health club, food court, over 200 car parking lot, specialized retail shops and ultra-modern cinema halls.

Conducting Tribune Business round the site, Mr Hakeem Gbadamosi, the project engineer, said the construction began two years ago, and added that the mall is a configuration of two buildings, woven together by intricate metals, structures and steep rooflines with variation in style occupying 8,000 square metres and 6,000 square metres respectively. Essentially, the Heritage mall is linked with the Cocoa Mall also located within the same stretch of the premises. With a concrete frame structure made of beams and structural steel member, the building is intended to service retail outlets, industrial businesses and recreational endeavour such as cinema.

In an exclusive interview in his office, Group Managing Director, Odu’a Investment Company Limited, Mr Adebayo Jimoh disclosed that the project is in two dimensions.

“We have the Heritage Mall which is fully built and financed 100 per cent by Odu’a Investment Company. The total cost of the Mall on completion is about N1.4 billion. We financed this project almost 90 per cent. It is a four-flour building. The ground floor is the basement with a parking lot for 200 vehicles. The first floor is the major shopping mall for our anchor tenants. On this floor is a banking hall with ATMs,” he stated.

According to him, “the second floor is for international brands like British Homes Stores pharmacy, bookstore, children toys and games and store for basic have needs. The third floor is for cinema. The cinema also combines the food court which consists of six brands of international standard. This cinema is a digitalised one, while the escalators have been fixed.”

He stressed that the Cocoa Mall which is an offshoot of the former Head office complex of the investment holding company at Cocoa House was necessitated by the need to accommodate other prospective tenants of the mall.

“The Cocoa Mall is on a Public-Private partnership platform. We invited a private partner and, mark you, so far, international brands have indicated interest in the mall and the response is remarkable to the extent that we charge 100 dollars per square metre. All things being equal, we expect to open in September,” the Odu’a GMD said.

Speaking further on the rationale for diversification into the real estate project, Mr Jimoh continued: “When we talk about the real estate which is one of the five major growth sectors, the critical aspect of it is location. When I discovered that there was a paradigm shift in terms of the shopping habit of Nigerians because of our exposure, I started peeping into the area of space and I discovered the abandoned premises of the defunct Sketch which had not been used for the past 12 years.

“What I did first was to invite and address the press about two years ago. I told them we would turn the place around and that is the result of what we are seeing now. By the grace of God, the whole of the construction area would have become a cynosure of attraction.

“I must let you know that there is so much still coming. You will also see that we have also delved into residential properties because of our concept of location. It will be unforgivable for me as a chief executive to sit on an organisation and not allow your asset to sweat.

“Our assets were not sweating. They were not even working, let alone sweating. We had three bed-room bungalows on a 5,000sq meter of land that were not sweating. The whole place have now been turned around with massive apartments emerging. We are going to do more.”

“We are also providing shopping services at Idi-Ape, here in Ibadan. There is a shopping complex going on there beside Ibadan Civic Centre. I know that with the way government is handling things, there is definitely going to come to a time when there will be a call for urban renewal. Iwo road trading will not be the same again in another five years. Our shopping complex is already 70 per cent completed and people are already paying for it. Ibadan is a city of endless growth, but we have to entice people through the provision of facilities and entertainment, and that is what we are targeting.

“From here, we will reach out to other Odu’a states to begin do some real estate development, because I keep telling people that that is a critical growth sector,” said Mr Jimoh who revealed that tenancy occupation in the mall is already in full throttle and payment is denominated in dollars.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ijebuboy18(m): 9:55am On Dec 15, 2012
I was brought up by an ijebu man married 2 an igbo woman from arochukwu in abia state n was raised in ibadan and I will say this without mincing words. All the igbo states combined cannot compare wit Ibadan city. Even my mum knows dat n thanks God 4 d ijebu man dat liberated her from such backwardness. I currently work out of enugu/Imo n there is no igbo state I haven't been 2. Is it dat very dirty aba wit no roads ,dirty messed up n touted onitsha, backwards nnewi or underdeveloped umuahia n abakaliki dem wan take compare Ibadan. Abeg park well. Aside owerri n enugu, dere is no oda place worth anitin n dey knw dat. So don't come here n compare an industralized city to cities where all ur brothers do is sell,sell,sell.

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by EkoAtlantic1(f): 10:00am On Dec 15, 2012
How are you copping in that erosion ridden kidnappers den?
You sure say no be your spirit dey type? cheesy
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Tolexander: 10:11am On Dec 15, 2012
IYA NGBALI: were alaso,what do you know?
shocked
IYA NGBALI: were alaso,what do you know?
were alaso or what did i see? Mad woman in cloth on nairaland! That means i need to run outta here before she bites me.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by ijebuboy18(m): 10:28am On Dec 15, 2012
Lol,kidnappers den indeed ooo, been here for 5yrs plus but so long as u don't flash n show urself u shud b safe, but owerri city these days is mad n kidnappin is a day 2 day tin. @least 2kidnappings a day. No security n so d hoodlums hav easy access 2 d villages n outskirts where dey have their hideouts n kip their victims. A low profile will kip u safe.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by OsunIfe: 10:36am On Dec 15, 2012
You are trying
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by SamAfrik(m): 10:42am On Dec 15, 2012
Nothing wrong wit d rusty roof (those are d inner city). Many magnificient modern buildings sprawled across d city. Im sure u still find old buildings in historical palces like Prague, Rome etc.
Those old buildings in IB av their stories, blieve me.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by SamAfrik(m): 10:47am On Dec 15, 2012
You need to go ask d 'koras' - Lebanesse expatriates (notably d Zard family) controlling d economy of Ibadan how much dy are enjoying Ib and taking to their homeland annually.
Ibadan sure has what it takes to compete wit d best in Africa.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by jayjam(m): 11:00am On Dec 15, 2012
And some idiots here will be comparing Ghana to Nigeria,when in actual sense lagos,Nigeria'GDP is worth over $40b while the whole of Ghana's GDP is $35b
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 15, 2012
IYA NGBALI: no wonder all your people do not travel and live in other parts of nigeria. Oponu ni e walahi
Ok, I get it, u r dumb. To think d igbos r not one of the most travelled ppl in d world. Ur post above rminded me of wat An urhobo man has once told me 6yrs ago in Lagos, 'show me a place that isnt bubbling and i will show u a place uninhabited by an igbo man' . Sadly for u,its true n all of ur arguements on dis becomes inconsequetial. How many Yorubas can lay claim to enterprises in Lagos. How many non-foreign investments r dere in d western region(and dats because its close to Lagos) . In d East, there r more indigenous industries(and usu first of its kind in west africa). D rich ppl dere are self reliant unlike d westerners n d northerners dat will choose to shine shoes for dose in power so dat dier business will be sponsored. The igbos r yet to experience d poverty in all oda regions as i told u bfr.yes, dey dnt send d rest of Nigeria and dey wanted to break off,but u ppl refused,(i sense fear)
Well, dis is nt evn a thread for this, my original point is dat i dont get y d yorubas think this thread is a ground to continue dier tribalistic envy with d igbos. Get a life

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 11:13am On Dec 15, 2012
SamAfrik: Nothing wrong wit d rusty roof (those are d inner city). Many magnificient modern buildings sprawled across d city. Im sure u still find old buildings in historical palces like Prague, Rome etc.
Those old buildings in IB av their stories, blieve me.

I am even thinking how beautiful those old buildings would be if they are renovated along with the surrounding urban renewal.
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by demmy(m): 11:23am On Dec 15, 2012
ngozievergreen:
Ok, I get it, u r dumb. To think d igbos r not one of the most travelled ppl in d world. Ur post above rminded me of wat An urhobo man has once told me 6yrs ago in Lagos, 'show me a place that isnt bubbling and i will show u a place uninhabited by an igbo man' . Sadly for u,its true n all of ur arguements on dis becomes inconsequetial. How many Yorubas can lay claim to enterprises in Lagos. How many non-foreign investments r dere in d western region(and dats because its close to Lagos) . In d East, there r more indigenous industries(and usu first of its kind in west africa). D rich ppl dere are self reliant unlike d westerners n d northerners dat will choose to shine shoes for dose in power so dat dier business will be sponsored. The igbos r yet to experience d poverty in all oda regions as i told u bfr.yes, dey dnt send d rest of Nigeria and dey wanted to break off,but u ppl refused,(i sense fear)
Well, dis is nt evn a thread for this, my original point is dat i dont get y d yorubas think this thread is a ground to continue dier tribalistic envy with d igbos. Get a life

You get a life you tribal warlord. Why can't you just be happy that different parts of Nigeria are finally enjoying progress after years of incompetent governments?? We are happy for you and your industrialized East but you're bitter because Ibadan is finally moving forward Why

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by swift25(m): 11:30am On Dec 15, 2012
afam4eva:
Can you list reasons why these cities should not be rated ahead of Ibadan? Ibadan is just one big residential city. That's what it is.
thing is ibadan has potentials but it is d mindset of the average ibadan man dt prevents change. Change must begin in the minds of the people b4 there can be development on the outside
Re: Ibadan: One Of Five African Cities To Watch - Financial Times by rbjimoh: 11:36am On Dec 15, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
veraponpo:
The reality you dont want to face is that Ibadan is not in the class of any eastern cities. Ibadan is well industrialized I believe after Lagos and Ogun or better than Ogun state but far better than any Eastern state. It is big, With over 3 milion people
It is a good market for Foreign direct investment, small scale companies as well as agriculture. If you dont like Ibadan, you can go and hug power plant.
. Do you the haters? 99% of all FDIs that have come into Nigeria in the last 20 years were located entirely within the southwest. In Ibadan, most recently, Procta&Gamble, BritishAmerican Tobbaco Company and many more. And you'll wonder why? Well, nature had chosen the Yorubaland to be along the coastal line, politically stable, heterogeneous- religiously, accommodating, best educated than the rest. The list is endless

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Explosion Hits Senate Gashu, Yobe. One Feared Dead, Many Injured / Revealed: Seized 47 Suvs, 100 Motorcycles Bought For Jonathan’s Campaign / Oyo State Government Finally Reconstructing Yinka Ayefele’s Music House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.