Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,806 members, 7,831,630 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? (14903 Views)

What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch / Jonathan - I Can't Solve Nigeria's Problem Alone / Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by olawalebabs(m): 6:45pm On Dec 16, 2012
rafhell: islam
islam
islam
islam
islam
this is clearly one of them, people who can't think straight.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by 360command: 6:46pm On Dec 16, 2012
Our problem is IMF and our black mentality .What do we as black men love to do, we love to eat, drink , phuck girls.. We just love to enjoy naturally without doing critical analysis, thinking, knowledge or research etc.

Now, look at countries of the world borrowing money from IMF, most especially the third world countries, how are they fairing? its very bad. The fact still remains that as we continue to borrow money from IMF, they will continue to dictate on us , dictate on the economy, dictate on the people.

The IMF will never give you money to fix your refineries, they will never give you money to build your factories of your own, they will never give you money to do what what is right. Cause they want you to be indebted to them, they want you to send your raw materials to them, they want you to be enslave to them. This is why they dictate on our leaders which are been forced to dictate on us.

As we continue to borrow from IMF or any world financial bodies, you will continue to be indebted to them, you will continue to pay back the interest with dollar rate - which becomes an increase to what you borrowed in the past causing inflation in your economy. You are left with no money to invest on and then you will seek for IMF to borrow money again and this keeps re-occuring.

Its all leadership, if we have credible leaders who can forfeit money borrowed from IMF at a certain moment, create an internal revenue taxing system that can bring money to the govt so as it can be used to improve on some vital sectors of the economy like Energy, Agriculture, Education and minerals resources we can be the next China in africa.

China today, does not care about IMF, China is the only country of the world that are on a step to be an independent nation without depending on any country. Whatever sector of the economy , it is been run and managed by the Chinese. They do not need foreign intervention.

Merci mon frere,
Dieu bénisse l'Afrique(God bless africa)
360command.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by FindOut(m): 6:46pm On Dec 16, 2012
Noswaa:

u want to re-sensitize almajiri right,u are not serious

Oh, yes. EDUCATION and EMPLOYMENT can be provided for Almajiri. Afterwards, strengthen the security forces and WARN the Al-majiri that having provided the two above, any break down of law and order will be firmly resisted and promptly dealt with. of course, the stubborn ones will think you are just bluffing and may decide to test the new waters. When they do so, make a few delicious scape goats.

If this is done BY A SERIOUS GOVERNMENT, I assure you, no further sensitization will be necessary.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by tawa89(f): 6:50pm On Dec 16, 2012
onila: yoruba girls
pls go back to the romance section. We are serious here

3 Likes

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Ninilowo(m): 6:52pm On Dec 16, 2012
1914 amalgamation and discovery of oil.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by olaolaking: 6:53pm On Dec 16, 2012
ORIENTATION! ORIENTATION!! ORIENTATION!!!
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by ypzilanti: 6:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
Our problem is that we keep allowing people that are dumb, corrupt, bereft of ideas, and lacking in character to rule us.

A few of the better run states in Nigeria shows us that leaders with vision can impact on the lives of the people...even in Nigeria.

The average USA citizen is not a genius, but they do not elect dunces to rule them. Majority of their presidents are Ivy league graduates with a pedigree of past achievements.

Nigerian elites will always look for the dumbest person that will not interrupt the status-quo, and market or foist on the Nigerian people.

4 Likes

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by phadat(m): 6:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
claremont: 1. Religion
2. Corruption
Different ethnic groups all these aforementioned are the root cause of Nigeria,s problem if they are resolved this country will be a better place
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Vansnickers: 6:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
Cassius: The Fault, my dear Brutus, is not in the stars but in ourselves.

Shakespeare( Julius Caesar).

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Tandem(m): 6:57pm On Dec 16, 2012
who will bell the cat we have identified our problem, how do we solve it...........
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by mimifonwon(f): 7:01pm On Dec 16, 2012
Slizbeat: Apart from the boko haram menace that has claimed most of the deaths in 2012, that of crashes has also joined. Just the last half of the year 2012, nigeria has recorded 4 crashes. That of DANA airline killing 158 on board and over 40 on ground, Oil company Helicopter killing some foreign Investors and Oil Mogul, private jet of taraba state governor Danbaba Suntai leaving him Brain-damaged and yesterday's air mishap at bayelsa killing former NSA rtd. Gen. Andrew Owoye Azazi and Executive and first christian governor of kaduna state, Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa among Others. Now in your own views, what actually is the problem? Is it PDP? Is it ACN? Is it the North? Is it the South? Is it the East? Is it the West? Is it 1914 Amalgamation? Is it 1967 civil war? Is it the sins of the Nation? Is it GEJ? Is it OBJ? Is it Buhari? Is it Me? grin Is it the Pastors(those in disguise) and the judges? But on a serious Note, is much, what do you think?

In my opinion more death of public officials are to come, the God of our ancestor is finally taken their pound of flesh, and i will not cry for any of them and like the youths in north i celebrate their death. Yes its hard to hear, but that is how i feel. The problem with nigeria is the people we put in power and how they have no ethics or morals, and how our people from a child to a grown adult are morally corrupt. For politicians they perpetuate evil to make sure they stay in power and God always tajes who he wants when their time comes. I am currently in naija and though lagos is changing infra structurally for the better, the youths of our country are corrupt beyond help, even the youngest of them. I am not saying all nigerians are this bad, but it was sad to see a family involved in such acts, let alone using their young children. We have horrible leaders and its filtering into our families.

Just arrived nigeria for xmas vacation friday, and as luck will have it i took air france. While i was at the airport, I left my iphone 4 by a spring coat i bought from one of the shops on our lay over in @ charles de gaulle, I went to use the restroom, told my sister to watch my stuff, but her dumb butt fell asleep, but there was a young black boy sitting by us so i just went to the restroom. When i came back the young man about 10 walked up to me and handed me my phone,wallet and jacket and said my sister had left it and went to board the plane, i was amazed.. and i tried to dash him twenty dollars, but he said he cannot take money from strangers and went to sit back down waiting on his flight back to houston. I was amazed, i told my sis what happened and she said try it in murtala muhammed airport and see if you will get it back. so i took to the dare and what happened next amazed me. I found a group of family sitting together waiting to be picked up at the airport and went to sit with them while my sister brought our luggage. my sister sits down and i told her, watch and see, i get up, tell my sis to watch my stuff, she pretends to fall asleep, i left my iphone out in the open and my wallet and went to the restroom. When i got back everything was there including my wallet and i didnt open my wallet and just sat down until my sister texted me, check your wallet, and so i did. As she tells me through text, one of the kids was a watch out while his elder brother went and sat by by stuff and pretended like he dropped something pushing my stuff on the floor "accidentally." He then called one of the other kids to go under the chair and get his phone he dropped and to my sis surprise the boy picked his brothers phone and also my wallet and went through it taking 400 dollars out of the five hundred i had in there and then took my driver's license and two of my debit cards. My sister said she didnt say anything because she wanted to know if the parents will raise and alarm and tell them to put it back, but to her surprise they didnt, rather the mother started a conversation with my sister about how much nigeria is changing for the better. So when i sat down i picked up my wallet and immediately one of the little boys patted his brother and his brother looked in shock, i looked up at them, my sister texted " call the police," i decided not to, for am sure am not the first they did it to, the older brother started to get up as if to go somewhere and immediately i rose, stood in front of him. I told him to give me all they took all i would call the police and they will all be searched. The older brother looks at me and then the mother comes up to me asking me why i am falsely accusing her children. That i should ask the lady sitting by me that maybe she took them. And that is when i told them that the lady was my elder sis and she saw them, and at that moment the older brother started apologizing saying his little brother brought it to him and told him someone dashed him that he didnt know he stole it. And so i collected my stuff back and my bro came to pick us up. As i left the airport all i could do was shake my head, imagine i almost got robbed in my own country. So

2 Likes

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by mimifonwon(f): 7:01pm On Dec 16, 2012
Slizbeat: Apart from the boko haram menace that has claimed most of the deaths in 2012, that of crashes has also joined. Just the last half of the year 2012, nigeria has recorded 4 crashes. That of DANA airline killing 158 on board and over 40 on ground, Oil company Helicopter killing some foreign Investors and Oil Mogul, private jet of taraba state governor Danbaba Suntai leaving him Brain-damaged and yesterday's air mishap at bayelsa killing former NSA rtd. Gen. Andrew Owoye Azazi and Executive and first christian governor of kaduna state, Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa among Others. Now in your own views, what actually is the problem? Is it PDP? Is it ACN? Is it the North? Is it the South? Is it the East? Is it the West? Is it 1914 Amalgamation? Is it 1967 civil war? Is it the sins of the Nation? Is it GEJ? Is it OBJ? Is it Buhari? Is it Me? grin Is it the Pastors(those in disguise) and the judges? But on a serious Note, is much, what do you think?

In my opinion more death of public officials are to come, the God of our ancestor is finally taken their pound of flesh, and i will not cry for any of them and like the youths in north i celebrate their death. Yes its hard to hear, but that is how i feel. The problem with nigeria is the people we put in power and how they have no ethics or morals, and how our people from a child to a grown adult are morally corrupt. For politicians they perpetuate evil to make sure they stay in power and God always tajes who he wants when their time comes. I am currently in naija and though lagos is changing infra structurally for the better, the youths of our country are corrupt beyond help, even the youngest of them. I am not saying all nigerians are this bad, but it was sad to see a family involved in such acts, let alone using their young children. We have horrible leaders and its filtering into our families.

Just arrived nigeria for xmas vacation friday, and as luck will have it i took air france. While i was at the airport, I left my iphone 4 by a spring coat i bought from one of the shops on our lay over in @ charles de gaulle, I went to use the restroom, told my sister to watch my stuff, but her dumb butt fell asleep, but there was a young black boy sitting by us so i just went to the restroom. When i came back the young man about 10 walked up to me and handed me my phone,wallet and jacket and said my sister had left it and went to board the plane, i was amazed.. and i tried to dash him twenty dollars, but he said he cannot take money from strangers and went to sit back down waiting on his flight back to houston. I was amazed, i told my sis what happened and she said try it in murtala muhammed airport and see if you will get it back. so i took to the dare and when we landed for naija what happened next amazed me. I found a group of family sitting together waiting to be picked up at the airport and went to sit with them while my sister brought our luggage. my sister sits down and i told her, watch and see, i get up, tell my sis to watch my stuff, she pretends to fall asleep, i left my iphone out in the open and my wallet and went to the restroom. When i got back everything was there including my wallet and i didnt open my wallet and just sat down and told my sis, told ya so.. laughing.. until my sister texted me, check your wallet, and so i did. As she tells me through text, one of the kids was a watch out while his elder brother went and sat by my stuff and pretended like he dropped something pushing my stuff on the floor "accidentally." He then called one of the other kids to go under the chair and get his phone he dropped and to my sis surprise the boy picked his brothers phone and also my wallet and went through it taking 400 dollars out of the five hundred i had in there and then took my driver's license and two of my debit cards. My sister said she didnt say anything because she wanted to know if the parents will raise and alarm and tell them to put it back, but to her surprise they didnt, rather the mother started a conversation with my sister about how much nigeria is changing for the better. So when i sat down i picked up my wallet and immediately one of the little boys patted his brother and his brother looked in shock, i looked up at them, my sister texted " call the police," i decided not to, for am sure am not the first they did it to, the older brother started to get up as if to go somewhere and immediately i rose, stood in front of him. I told him to give me all they took all i would call the police and they will all be searched. The older brother looks at me and then the mother comes up to me asking me why i am falsely accusing her children. That i should ask the lady sitting by me that maybe she took them. And that is when i told them that the lady was my elder sis and she saw them, and at that moment the older brother started apologizing saying his little brother brought it to him and told him someone dashed him that he didnt know he stole it. And so i collected my stuff back and my bro came to pick us up. As i left the airport all i could do was shake my head, imagine i almost got robbed in my own country. So
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by rash47(m): 7:02pm On Dec 16, 2012
olawalebabs: this is clearly one of them, people who can't think straight.

I tell ya,he is a ca.veman
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Rexious(m): 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2012
tawa89: We need to go back to regionalization .This system of government has failed us but we keep trying to make it work wit no or negligible success.Decongest the centre, make the members of our National Assembly to be on part time and be given allowance per sitting each region will develop their region and remit some percentage to d centre wit all these development will be competitive and even . We have to change our system of government if we don't do this even if u put pope benedict xii as commander in chief he will still fail us
I agree with u. The current system has failed us. Give resource control to states n see competition in development. Remove immunity from prosecution for any individual be it govt or otherwise.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2012
360command: Our problem is IMF and our black mentality .What do we as black men love to do, we love to eat, drink , phuck girls.. We just love to enjoy naturally without doing critical analysis, thinking, knowledge or research etc.

Now, look at countries of the world borrowing money from IMF, most especially the third world countries, how are they fairing? its very bad. The fact still remains that as we continue to borrow money from IMF, they will continue to dictate on us , dictate on the economy, dictate on the people.

The IMF will never give you money to fix your refineries, they will never give you money to build your factories of your own, they will never give you money to do what what is right. Cause they want you to be indebted to them, they want you to send your raw materials to them, they want you to be enslave to them. This is why they dictate on our leaders which are been forced to dictate on us.

As we continue to borrow from IMF or any world financial bodies, you will continue to be indebted to them, you will continue to pay back the interest with dollar rate - which becomes an increase to what you borrowed in the past causing inflation in your economy. You are left with no money to invest on and then you will seek for IMF to borrow money again and this keeps re-occuring.
but almighty USA is also heavily indebted,they also faring very well. infact they even have a giant clock that reminds them of their debt status

Its all leadership, if we have credible leaders who can forfeit money borrowed from IMF at a certain moment, create an internal revenue taxing system that can bring money to the govt so as it can be used to improve on some vital sectors of the economy like Energy, Agriculture, Education and minerals resources we can be the next China in africa.

China today, does not care about IMF, China is the only country of the world that are on a step to be an independent nation without depending on any country. Whatever sector of the economy , it is been run and managed by the Chinese. They do not need foreign intervention.

Merci mon frere,
360command.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2012
The national cake. Crude oil
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 16, 2012
360command: Our problem is IMF and our black mentality .What do we as black men love to do, we love to eat, drink , phuck girls.. We just love to enjoy naturally without doing critical analysis, thinking, knowledge or research etc.

but almighty USA is also heavily indebted,they also faring very well. infact they even have a giant clock that reminds them of their debt status

Merci mon frere,
360command.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by virgie(f): 7:10pm On Dec 16, 2012
It is deep rooted greed.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by mamatino99: 7:12pm On Dec 16, 2012
smileywhat is the problem with nigeria is the judicially and institution.we do not have a good institution in nigera infact we don't evem have that at all.is better for the fg to open an indipendent judicial system that can handle the outgoing leaders and other criminals we have in the system.with this nigeria will be a better place in near future. [b]what is the problem with nigeria is the judicially and institution.we do not have a good institution in nigera infact we don't evem have that at all.is better for the fg to open an indipendent judicial system that can handle the outgoing leaders and other criminals we have in the system.with this nigeria will be a better place in near future. [/b]what is the problem with nigeria is the judicially and institution.we do not have a good institution in nigera infact we don't evem have that at all.is better for the fg to open an indipendent judicial system that can handle the outgoing leaders and other criminals we have in the system.with this nigeria will be a better place in near future.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 16, 2012
In addition to the structural problem I mentioned earlier, several other problems have arisen from previous CLUELESS, INEPT, VISIONLESS, and INCOMPETENT leadership, which had caused SEVERE DAMAGES that are either IRREVERSIBLE or difficult to reverse.
1) How many Nigerians know that the FIRST petroluem refinery in Nig was established by a private company(shell)? But today(5 decades after) Nig imports refined petrol products, NO single privately owned refinery, while the publicly owned ones are dilapidated. What happened to the shell refinery? Why didn't other private companies establish more refineries considering the HUGE market? The reason is simple? Previous inept, incompetent and clueless govts, FORCEFUL took over the shell refinery in an unnecessary populist move. That action scared away other private investors. To add SALT TO INJURY, fuel subsidy and petroluem equalization schemes were created. All of these silly acts combined to COMPLETELY DESTROY the down stream sector. Today, it is more profitable to import petroluem products than waste your time in building local refinery. Everybody is interested in importing fuel and collecting subsidy. PEF on other hand made it more attractive to use tankers to transport petrol locally than use pipelines.
This is why I'm against govts that overtly play to the gallery and concentrate too much on populist policies like Rochas. Some of those populist policies may appear to give immediate benefit but they cause long term irreparable damages
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by anishe(m): 7:17pm On Dec 16, 2012
caseless: PDP

PDP

PDP

PDP

LEADERSHIP: this we lack at all level of gov't in this country

MILITARY HEAD OF STATES: IBB takes the larger share here, infact, he was the architect of our 'modern day nigeria's problem'

OBJ:he contributed alot to our problems cos he knew our problems and solutions , but refused to solve them

GEJ:he dosn't know what is the problem and cannot identify solution when he sees one(cluelessness).

PDP: this defines, dictates and carries all the problems....it is an embodiment of our problems.

You are on course.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 16, 2012
freakcin: The youths!!! grin

Walahi, we're worse than the leaders we're criticizing. No moral values! Shortcut to wealth, ignorance, pettiness and idiotic westrnized mentality seems to be common place. No real real agenda of moving the country forward asides coming on nairaland to bemoan the terrible state of the nation and cursing each other's tribe 2/4/7.

Some stupid ones even have the effontery to berate (dangote drivers applicant) those who intend to better their lots without indulging in illegality. Granted, most of y'all inherited these silly traits from your parents, but shey dem swear for una ni? Can't you sieve truth from lies, abi why did you go to school? Oooooh school's messed up, I think we can blame our leaders for that one, but for how long are we going to keep blaming our leaders?

Some present leaders blamed their leaders years ago, are we to continue the blame circle?

As for the leaders, hell will definitely reject some people.
bro dont mind them, if one person from nairaland by chance becomes Nigeria president, nigeria would be boiling with crisis and would pack up within a week! grin grin
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by dejialam(m): 7:20pm On Dec 16, 2012
religions and the forces of the unknow
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by olumidazz: 7:22pm On Dec 16, 2012
Democracy is our biggest problem.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by ALOYIKCCC: 7:23pm On Dec 16, 2012
Nigerian problem is dat Nigeria as a Country is founded on deceit. Our colonial masters forced us 2geda inorder 2 actualize their aims 4 coming 2 our land. Hw can u merge or join tins wich re nt meant 2 be 2geda nd xpect peace ?
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Noswaa: 7:23pm On Dec 16, 2012
Find Out!:

Oh, yes. EDUCATION and EMPLOYMENT can be provided for Almajiri. Afterwards, strengthen the security forces and WARN the Al-majiri that having provided the two above, any break down of law and order will be firmly resisted and promptly dealt with. of course, the stubborn ones will think you are just bluffing and may decide to test the new waters. When they do so, make a few delicious scape goats.

If this is done BY A SERIOUS GOVERNMENT, I assure you, no further sensitization will be necessary.

my brother you have vision but it will not work.Islamic religion will never allow it happen,any body who dont value life is completely an animal and their religion doesn't value life,so you cant train an animal to be human,is better for animal to be in the animal kingdom and that is exactly what they want

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 16, 2012
[/b]failed justice system is Nigeria's problem. There is no nation that is crime free, punishment serves as a deterrent to other criminals. In Nigeria some people are above the law. Nepotism, favourtism, tribalism should all be punished.[b]
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 16, 2012
There was NEVER a country - how can you claim you're a country when the foundation was built on tribalism and tribal domination??

You need to renegotiate the "marriage" and preach mutual respect...

Restructuring and a change in mentality - till then, enjoy your godfathers and goodfellas holding you to ransom...

1 Like

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by collins123(m): 7:28pm On Dec 16, 2012
Nigeria is the problem. Being a nigerian has been so branded that it is synonymous with corruption, scam, bigotry, poverty, hatred, terrorism, illetracy, idiocy, cowerdice, stupidity, and a knack for tribalism.

We hate each other!

This in turn has caused resulted to deadly tribalism. The root of everything is hate.
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by collins123(m): 7:29pm On Dec 16, 2012
Nigeria is the problem. Being a nigerian has been so branded that it is synonymous with corruption, scam, bigotry, poverty, hatred, terrorism, illetracy, idiocy, cowerdice, stupidity, and a knack for tribalism.

We hate each other!

This in turn has caused resulted to deadly tribalism. The root of everything is hate.

I will update later!!!
Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 16, 2012
General Ibrahim B. Babangida (rtd) - aka IBB, Military Head of State Aug 1985 - Aug 1993.
Overthrew Buhari in a palace coup, that many believe was sponsored by western nation countries and M.K.O. Abiola,. It is believed that his coup was motivated by the fact that he learnt that Buhari may have planned his retirement after it came to light that he was involved in drug smuggling. It is also believed that he was funded by MKO Abiola and Western Nations who did not like Buhari's patriotic stance and his refusal of IMF Loans.

IBB devalued the Naira by a wreckessly massive 2,300% rendering the Nigerian currency worthless and plunging the Nigerian masses into hardship and poverty that is still being suffered today.

He was chased out of the presidency when Nigerians started roiting and became ungovernable in the aftermath of his annulment of the 12th June 1993 elections.

Estimated Looted several billion of dollars (trillions of Naira)

It is widely believed that he was behind the poisoning of Sani Abacha in June 1998 and the installation of first his cousin, Abdusalami Abuabakar as transitional leader and the selection of Obasanjo lead Nigeria after fruadulent and rigged elections.

It is also believed that he consipired with Obasanjo back in 1976 in the covert coup that assassinated Muritala Mohammed; Col Dimka was presented as the coup planner and Obasanjo told Nigeria that he foiled the coup attempt thus he and Obj escaping suspicion of involvement in plot that assassinated Muritala Mohammed.
He attempted to run for the presidency in 2007 and 2011 but pulled out of the race at preliminary stages.

General Olusegun Obasanjo (rtd) - aka Obj, Military Head of State 13th February 1976 - 1st October 1979 also Civilian President May 1999 to May 2007
Came to power after an apparent abortive coup that resulted in the assassination of the then Military ruler Muritala Mohammed, to whom Obasanjo was the deputy, however many suspect he insitigated a palace coup, and used the abortive coup story as a smoke screen.
Obasanjo executed 32 military Officers who he claims were involved in the coup attempt. Obasanjo escaped suspicion of involvement in the coup by saying he was hiding in a friend's residence during the "abortive" coup and that it was sponsored by ex-ruler Y. Gowon.

As a civilian Head of State 1999 -2007, he presided over the most corrupt and irresponsible adminstrations in the countries history.

He mismanaged, looted and closed Nigeria Airways.

Gave away Nigeria's Oil-rich land - Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

Ordered whole scale killing of entire villages in Niger Delta and in Benue State.

Further impoverished Nigerian masses by devaluing Naira by 500% accepting IMF loans and dictates at a time when oil revenue were very high.

The collapse of power supply to entire nation

The massive hiking of fuel prices by 500% despite record levels of Oil export revenue.

He kept talking about fighting corruption, but is regarded by some, as the biggest looter in Africa's history with estimates of upto $200billion unaccounted for. Even the $16 billion he announce he had budgeted to improve power can not been accounted for. He appointed himself Oil Minister and had full control of the country's earnings from Oil exports and he has blocked all attempts to audit the accounts of his adminstration.

Obasanjo was imprisoned by General Sani Abacha for 3 years until Abacha's sudden death in June 1998.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfXtHYIXemidtUr6VWTX9Jr1pXhJ5d-md3yHK9Uzmv-2ZVeJIDDjhl3o0pdQ[/img]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.0.html

2 Likes

Re: In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? by deandavid(m): 7:30pm On Dec 16, 2012
mimifonwon:

Just arrived nigeria for xmas vacation friday, and as luck will have it i took air france. While i was at the airport, I left my iphone 4 by a spring coat i bought from one of the shops on our lay over in @ charles de gaulle, I went to use the restroom, told my sister to watch my stuff, but her dumb butt fell asleep, but there was a young black boy sitting by us so i just went to the restroom. When i came back the young man about 10 walked up to me and handed me my phone,wallet and jacket and said my sister had left it and went to board the plane, i was amazed.. and i tried to dash him twenty dollars, but he said he cannot take money from strangers and went to sit back down waiting on his flight back to houston. I was amazed, i told my sis what happened and she said try it in murtala muhammed airport and see if you will get it back. so i took to the dare and when we landed for naija what happened next amazed me. I found a group of family sitting together waiting to be picked up at the airport and went to sit with them while my sister brought our luggage. my sister sits down and i told her, watch and see, i get up, tell my sis to watch my stuff, she pretends to fall asleep, i left my iphone out in the open and my wallet and went to the restroom. When i got back everything was there including my wallet and i didnt open my wallet and just sat down and told my sis, told ya so.. laughing.. until my sister texted me, check your wallet, and so i did. As she tells me through text, one of the kids was a watch out while his elder brother went and sat by my stuff and pretended like he dropped something pushing my stuff on the floor "accidentally." He then called one of the other kids to go under the chair and get his phone he dropped and to my sis surprise the boy picked his brothers phone and also my wallet and went through it taking 400 dollars out of the five hundred i had in there and then took my driver's license and two of my debit cards. My sister said she didnt say anything because she wanted to know if the parents will raise and alarm and tell them to put it back, but to her surprise they didnt, rather the mother started a conversation with my sister about how much nigeria is changing for the better. So when i sat down i picked up my wallet and immediately one of the little boys patted his brother and his brother looked in shock, i looked up at them, my sister texted " call the police," i decided not to, for am sure am not the first they did it to, the older brother started to get up as if to go somewhere and immediately i rose, stood in front of him. I told him to give me all they took all i would call the police and they will all be searched. The older brother looks at me and then the mother comes up to me asking me why i am falsely accusing her children. That i should ask the lady sitting by me that maybe she took them. And that is when i told them that the lady was my elder sis and she saw them, and at that moment the older brother started apologizing saying his little brother brought it to him and told him someone dashed him that he didnt know he stole it. And so i collected my stuff back and my bro came to pick us up. As i left the airport all i could do was shake my head, imagine i almost got robbed in my own country. So
na lie abeg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aregbesola Compensates Farmers & Land Owners Affected By Road Construction / Adeleke Vs Oyetola: Osun Tribunal Delivers Judgement Friday / Wait For Four Years Before Judging Us- Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.