Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? (33852 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 5:25pm On Jan 05, 2013
ignis:
Bro, we all know that the western culture is bastardized and highly indecent.
imagine this scenario, when you go to most official and social gathering in America, most of the ladies dress almost nude exposing their private parts. Thr religious gathering is not even an exception. The fact remains that what might be decent in their culture might not be decent in ours. Am not saying that we should incoporate culture into religion. The fact is we all have concience and know when we are doing what is right and what is wrong. Though often times, we tend to justify our wrong actions either by comparison or excuses. These does not make the wrong action right in anyway.
Heavenly race is a personal race and not a collective race, so let's not compare our actions with that of others.

This same corrupt Western people were the ones that brought Christianity to us.
Thier traditions you still observed till date yet you claim to be more decent than them... shocked
Didn't the west initiated all the world feast you celebrate today? or can you find them in the Scripture?

I tell you, if the West had go against crossing of legs in the Church, this could have been world wide traditions, sadly, they did not.

You people will do better droping all sort of unscriptural traditions and focus on Christ only.

Matt 15 7-9 “Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

This was true of the religious leaders Jesus confronted and quoted the passage from Isa to.
This apply to us today. We can appear to draw near to God, all the while having our heart far from Him.
It is easy to want and be impressed by the image of "being" near to God without really doing it with our heart.

4 Likes

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 5:34pm On Jan 05, 2013
ignis:
Sure, its scriptural, the scripure says in the book of 1 Corinthians 14:40 and I quote
'Let all things be done decently and in order'
Common sense will tell us what is descent and orderly.
And I believe that every human being with a good upbringing knows that crossing of leg in the public is highly undecent and unethical.
I stand to be corrected.

You cannot impose your traditions to others, if crossing of leg is indecent to Nigerians, this may not be indecent to the Japanese!

There are some things the Japanese may consider as indecent, that may not appear indecent to Nigerians. Why because, these are self traditions
They have no scriptural support.

You have to generalise ur argument on this issue, if you do, you will see that you do err!

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by kisibo: 6:21pm On Jan 05, 2013
@OP...are you referring to crossin leg like dis ladies?

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Image123(m): 7:00pm On Jan 05, 2013
Oahray: why harp on her needing it when you know we all need it? Why call me a judge when you just judged the op with the bolded statement?

So the op asking a question about something she doesnt understand means she lacks the fruit of the spirit?
Mehn... I am done talking to you and your likes.
The hypocrisy in some christians is sickening. Smh.
get well soon then mr.judge. You called me a self righteous pretender, a liar and a selfish person and even refused a chance for me to defend my statement. You hardly know the meaning of 'harp' and you're here implying that I'm an hypocrite. You can't take 1% but you feel good giving 50%. i adviced that the op seek to grow in those areas of the fruits of the spirit, you should mind your business instead of poking your posts into what you can't take.
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by ignis: 7:05pm On Jan 05, 2013
plappville:

@ignis: is the biggest dreamer of 2013.....waoh!!!

I don't have your time.
If you don't have what to write, why not relax. Must you post? People like you makes one's IQ to fall abruptly.

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Image123(m): 7:07pm On Jan 05, 2013
plappville:

What makes you think that crossing of leg disqualifies one from having the fruit of the spirit? shocked
it doesn't. Inability to obey simple instructions show a deficit. Same also is lack of awareness and self control.

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Nov1ce(m): 9:02pm On Jan 05, 2013
I usually don't comment often here because it's full of narrow minded people who can't prove from the bible IN CONTEXT some of the trash they spill from their mouth.
Enough already with all the cultural crap we call religion, the OP asked a question and someone like 'tipia@' cldnt even give a reason for the comment and said it didn't deserve one forgetting that the bible also say we should be ready to answer any one who asks for the reason for our belief, it being an apologetic!!!
Not just releasing crap that was imbibed in a church for organizational convinience and calling it a rule!
Am not against what your church lays down as'house rules' so as to maintain order, just don't pass it on as a standard from God!!!
Sheesh...

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by tpia5: 9:33pm On Jan 05, 2013
Crossing legs is not a "belief", o arrogant one.

Channel your rebellion into a war against indiscipline- thats far more relevant to you and everybody's life.

2 Likes

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by chegson: 10:07pm On Jan 05, 2013
Crossing of legs in church especially during prayers is wrong. As a Christian, you are not expected to
cross your legs or even your hands when praying (even when you are praying alone inside your closet).
When you cross your legs, you formed letter "X" with your legs. Letter X is used for cancellation or
to indicate that something is wrong or unacceptable. Your crossing of legs during prayers therefore
indicates that you are cancelling, or saying NO to the prayers being offered. when you have been told
that a particular habit is wrong, especially in the church, is it not better you obey and take to correction
instead of being stubborn?. Read 1 samuel 15, Verses 22-23 about disobedience.

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 10:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
Image123:
it doesn't. Inability to obey simple instructions show a deficit. Same also is lack of awareness and self control.

Ok bro...

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by tpia5: 10:26pm On Jan 05, 2013
Its very interesting the two moderators who decided to " grace" the thread condescendingly with their presence, are the same people who, if seun the site admin tells them to jump, will only ask "how high?".

When you refuse to submit to church, you'll definitely submit to another master elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 10:34pm On Jan 05, 2013
ignis:
I don't have your time.
If you don't have what to write, why not relax. Must you post? People like you makes one's IQ to fall abruptly.

The bitter truth is what you hate in my qouting you? ....how will you have time for me, after making yourself approved/more respectful than others.
Just read yourself....I think You need advise more than the OP..

ignis:
Bro, we all know that the western culture is bastardized and highly indecent.
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 06, 2013
Will you guys let the sleeping dogs lie? OP sef don run commot undecided

1 Like

Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 06, 2013
Oh please give me a break, most of the church goers in 9ja would have been among the pharisees. Always concentrating on the non important things when Jesus clearly stated that the things that come out of your heart are the most indicative. They will be here all the time insulting and cursing people but would be more worried about who is crossing her legs or not. Jesus hated hypocrites, concentrate your energy on the real things that matter not cultural nonsense.
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 1:13am On Jan 06, 2013
jidegirl12: Will you guys let the sleeping dogs lie? OP sef don run commot undecided

Abi oooo....what a thread though, am out.... grin
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by tpia5: 1:53am On Jan 06, 2013
@ kisibo

is that your church?
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by tpia5: 2:06am On Jan 06, 2013
Oahray:
that was why I put up the pic.. At least you just agreed that ethics is subjective.

ok, let me break it down for you, since you posted a picture you yourself dont understand.

obama was on the view, with a group of women who are known to be very influential, hard hitters, and mostly the strong, independent type who dont take any nonsense from any man.

would YOU be comfortable not crossing your legs in that situation, when everyone else was crossing theirs?

you totally missed the meaning of context, and you posted a picture which completely trashed your point.

was this intentional, or?
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by sunnyt1(m): 10:47am On Jan 06, 2013
The major issue wit our generation is evryone believes his/her logic shd over-rule evryoda tin. Crossing of legs is not wrong in itsef, yea, bt the ethics of the environment you find ursef shd be put into consideration. Pls ask ursef, will u cross ur legs while ur proff is delivering a lecture? In a polite or a formal environment crossing of legs, chewing of gums, etc is considered rude and impolite. You can do it in ur room, in d club, at a bar or any other devil glorifying place, bt in d presence of God or any matured place, its nt allowed, it simply means u dnt regard d people around, u dnt care wat anybody tinks, it cud also be viewed as a sign of pride. Shd u even argue wit ur mum wen she tells u somtin is wrong? Going forward, evrytin must nt be scriptural b4 it can be considered wrong, smoking of cigar wasnt stated in d bible, how wud u feel if ur child argue wit u abt it?
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by ignis: 12:59pm On Jan 06, 2013
jidegirl12: Will you guys let the sleeping dogs lie? OP sef don run commot undecided
Am sure the OP knows the answer to the question she is asking.
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 9:59pm On Jan 06, 2013
After preaching today, My pastor sat down in the congregation crossing His legs, and some members sat crossing thiers while He was preaching.. grin
I laughed and thought of this thread...These people had just disrespect God according to some comments here.... grin grin
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Image123(m): 10:26pm On Jan 06, 2013
plappville: After preaching today, My pastor sat down in the congregation crossing His legs, and some members sat crossing thiers while He was preaching.. grin
I laughed and thought of this thread...These people had just disrespect God according to some comments here.... grin grin
well, you should have learnt that its a contextual and cultural thing. I believe if your pastor visited a place where he knew his action will offend others, he wouldn't do it.
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by tpia5: 10:29pm On Jan 06, 2013
plappville: After preaching today, My pastor sat down in the congregation crossing His legs, and some members sat crossing thiers while He was preaching.. grin

are you catholic?
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 10:50pm On Jan 06, 2013
Image123:
well, you should have learnt that its a contextual and cultural thing. I believe if your pastor visited a place where he knew his action will offend others, he wouldn't do it.

You have not provided why crossing of legs should offend others undecided

We have all kind of people with different culture/tradition in our church, But everyone can not bring his/her tradition and impose it on others.

If he/she does, He should be able to prove it from the Scripture!
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 10:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
tpia@:

are you catholic?
Didn't you see where i said Pastor? abi Catholic dey use the word pastor? grin grin
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by tpia5: 11:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
^not sure why you're comparing your situation to the op's own when she clearly stated she is catholic and the issues happened at mass.

do nuns and catholic priests attend your church?
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Image123(m): 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2013
plappville:

You have not provided why crossing of legs should offend others undecided

We have all kind of people with different culture/tradition in our church, But everyone can not bring his/her tradition and impose it on others.

If he/she does, He should be able to prove it from the Scripture!
i don't need to. The point from the start has been that of bearing with others. When you bear/forbear, it's not about why are you offended since I'm not. You need to grow up enough to realise that one man's meat is another man's poison. The issue is to realize that it is Mr A or society A's poison. Even if it is your best food, respect that it is your 'brother's' poison, and stop serving him, quoting bible.
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 3:46pm On Jan 07, 2013
tpia@:
^not sure why you're comparing your situation to the op's own when she clearly stated she is catholic and the issues happened at mass.

do nuns and catholic priests attend your church?

I'm not comparing. Whatever doctrine/practice in the body of Christ, it has to be generalised.
The bible has no different rules for each nation/Race. Christ is one, so does His message.

Yes the OP is a catholic, but since this thread we have seen that not only in the Catholic church do they impose this rule!

Some comments here are prove, or am i the one seeing double?
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 3:50pm On Jan 07, 2013
Image123:
i don't need to. The point from the start has been that of bearing with others. When you bear/forbear, it's not about why are you offended since I'm not. You need to grow up enough to realise that one man's meat is another man's poison. The issue is to realize that it is Mr A or society A's poison. Even if it is your best food, respect that it is your 'brother's' poison, and stop serving him, quoting bible.

Than you guys should stop tagging God to it. He did not says It is wrong, neither did He expect such to offend any free human being! angry
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Image123(m): 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2013
plappville:

Than you guys should stop tagging God to it. He did not says It is wrong, neither did He expect such to offend any free human being! angry
who tagged it to God if not goshen? can you quote me tag it to God or you just assumed that i did?
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 8:55pm On Jan 07, 2013
Image123:
who tagged it to God if not goshen? can you quote me tag it to God or you just assumed that i did?

The OP was corrected in a church, several persons here too. And they told her it was wrong to do that in the Presence of God.. undecided

Are they not using God as a means to prohibite crossing of Leg? even when they have no scripture to back this up.. undecided
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by plappville(f): 8:59pm On Jan 07, 2013
Image123:

mama bear: Please I really need an answer 2diz...

Is it bad to cross your legs in church?

I'm a catholic,I noticed each time I cross my legs in church which I do unconsciously, the wardens always tell me to drop them... Was in church with my mum today and she told me the same,I asked her why and she said I was in the presence of God, that I know but could it be that bad
I obviously know that but for christsake I'm not sitting in front neither is my dress short undecided

How is it GOSHEN that did the tagging? the op mum and many comments here did before @Goshen came in!
Re: Crossing Your Legs In Church, Is It Wrong? by Image123(m): 9:35pm On Jan 07, 2013
plappville:

How is it GOSHEN that did the tagging? the op mum and many comments here did before @Goshen came in!
Well, you referred directly to me to stop tagging. Now you are saying its the OP's mum, like she's here to defend herself. i've continously hammered that it is a contextual issue, and each person and society's preferences should be respected as it does not contravene God. Goshen has been trying to tie the practice to salvation and to one's eternity. i never said crossing legs or not makes you saved or unsaved, or will make one get to heaven or miss heaven. But gosh keeps talking about 'the gospel' or 'scripture' like a kid. Its a matter of right and wrong in societal context. Like again, it is considered wrong to slam the door. If you did it in most premises here in lagos(church or no), you would likely be frowned at or corrected. What scripture says stuff about slamming doors. So, must we slam doors on everyone because the Bible didn't write thou shalt not slam the door? If you slammed the door in church, and someone mentioned something about not slamming the door in the presence of God, what is wrong with that correction? Must all correction in church premises be about heaven and hell, or sin? The FACT has been stated, and it is that most people consider crossing the legs wrong in this part of the world. The leg crosser in front of superiors is often considered as lazy or proud. It's similar to putting legs on the table, or even flatulence. It's general etiquette over here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Brothers, How Do You Cope Sitting Beside Ladies That Bare Cleavage In Church? / Spirit Boyfriend/Girlfriend & Husband/Wife: How True? / Police Shut Enugu Church As Pastors, Supporters Engage In Free-for-all

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.