Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? (9052 Views)

Grow Your Hair In Only 3 Months (here Is How I Did It) / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ / What Hair-style Do You Have On Now And How Long Did It Take To Fix It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 9:42am On May 08, 2013
[size=13pt]What do you mean by you want to keep both?[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 9:52am On May 08, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]What do you mean by you want to keep both?[/size]

The new growth is still short, until its like 1 yr old before I cut the old relaxed hair smiley..
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 10:25am On May 08, 2013
Vikin: The new growth is still short, until its like 1 yr old before I cut the old relaxed hair smiley..

[size=13pt]Oh okay. Just wanted to make sure lol.

What I heard that works best in terms of treatments/methods is frequent deep conditioning and treating the entire head of hair as if it's natural already. For products, you'd probably want something that's strengthening considering that you'd be working with two textures. ApHogee has great protein products like their 2-minute reconstructor. They have another product that's extremely fortifying and you have to balance moisture properly when using it. I've forgotten the name of it, but it'll help with your transition.

Moisturizing products are always easy to find lol. Neutrogena's really good.

I hope these things are available to you sha. I don't remember where you stay.[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 10:30am On May 08, 2013
It's a work load, getting the french version of the product..stay in Toulouse....google translator is not helping matters and friends here are not african cry
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 10:37am On May 08, 2013
[size=13pt]Oh wow, you stay in Toulouse? I'm studying French smiley

That'll be difficult. I did a quick search and found a natural hair blogger who went to Toulouse. Maybe try shopping at Monoprix?

The funny thing about hair products is that while there are "white hair" products and "ethnic hair" products, often times, they're under the same company. Even if they're not, their products are similar.

If I were you, start shopping according to ingredients and what the product is supposed to do, rather than the name.[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 10:44am On May 08, 2013
Thanks a lot, this will help.

Most times I wear braids....almost through out my adult life, changing environment where I know few people is not helping matters...

My french is ok, I can find my way around! Trust it's better than yours. smiley

Nice article by the way
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 08, 2013
^^
How can get Brazilian/Peruvian weave? cry
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 08, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
How can get Brazilian/Peruvian weave? cry

I will feel stupid with weaves....ppl around me have natural oyibo hair, I come wear weave?
I better rock my African hair cos we seem. To do lots of beach and swim this season..when they them jump enter water, me too follow tongue

I don't want to sit looking at them catching fun just because I don't want to wet my weave undecided

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 08, 2013
Vikin: Thanks a lot, this will help.

Most times I wear braids....almost through out my adult life, changing environment where I know few people is not helping matters...

My french is ok, I can find my way around! Trust it's better than yours. smiley

Nice article by the way

[size=13pt]Lol. I've studied French for five years now. I wouldn't say mine is weak lol.

That's part of life, new adaptations and changes. Luckily it's temporary. I'm sure with time and meeting new people, you'll discover products and places better suited for your needs. wink[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Sissy3(f): 12:41am On May 09, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]Lol. As the years have gone by, I thought it would get easier. Instead, it hasn't gotten easier and it takes even longer lol.

And LOL! How on earth does it take him longer? Whenever I go, it takes 2.5 hours for everything, which is far less than me. Stylists are annoying though. They complain and charge ridiculously. I don't go often at all, especially for the money reason lol.[/size]

He takes his sweet time. He washes, dries and then treatment and more under the dryer. The longest part is the blow drying and flat iron, he just has to make sure it looks like a freshly relaxed hair undecided

ogugua88:
[size=13pt]Yeah, I can imagine. Talk about low maintenance. As summer dey approach, maybe I'll try it. It's hard to find the mask o. Whenever I go they're either out of stock or have one left lol. I've never tried ApHogee leave-in. I'll look into it.

I've heard about that "relaxer". I'm not exactly sure about the chemistry of it though, I'll have to research it. I've heard the same about yogurt too. Na wa lol. I wouldn't mind trying it though.

The flat iron I have is from FHI but I hardly use. If I could get any flat iron, it'd be a GHD. Very costly but they last long and have a lifetime warranty I believe.[/size]

I probably order it online next time. I think maybe you should try the twist-kinky or senegalese, much easier than sitting 8+ hrs on a seat trying to keep your head straight when sleep keeps pulling it and ur butt wants to sue you for seating so long embarassed. The "relaxer" i believe is a mixture of coconut cream, coconut oil and a yogurt. the small protein in the yogurt is what gives it the small "straightening" effect while the coconut cream and oil softens the hair. I will try it when the braids come down. I will definitely look into the GHD. I was also thinking about the CHI brand one. It is better than getting "cheapies" grin every time that more cost more money and damages hair
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 12:45am On May 09, 2013
How much is a blow dryer?
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Sissy3(f): 12:51am On May 09, 2013
@ Vikin

I didnt cut my relax ends. It has been a few years now. The only thing is just learning how to manage the two textures "gently", I was mostly on protective styles-braids. And wearing it out flat ironed. youtube has helpful infos on styles and products and like ogugua88 said, the ingredients is what matters

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Sissy3(f): 12:52am On May 09, 2013
CFCfan: How much is a blow dryer?

Depends on brands
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 1:03am On May 09, 2013
~Sissy~:

Depends on brands
Noted. If I grow my hair, I may need one to dry it up.
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 7:32am On May 16, 2013
CFCfan: Noted. If I grow my hair, I may need one to dry it up.

[size=13pt]I think you're better off air-drying your hair. smiley[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 7:40am On May 16, 2013
~Sissy~:
He takes his sweet time. He washes, dries and then treatment and more under the dryer. The longest part is the blow drying and flat iron, he just has to make sure it looks like a freshly relaxed hair undecided

[size=13pt]Lol lucky you. I think I'd rather have a slow and meticulous stylist than a fast and impatient one. The only thing is that you sacrifice your bum lol.[/size]

~Sissy~:
I probably order it online next time. I think maybe you should try the twist-kinky or senegalese, much easier than sitting 8+ hrs on a seat trying to keep your head straight when sleep keeps pulling it and ur butt wants to sue you for seating so long embarassed. The "relaxer" i believe is a mixture of coconut cream, coconut oil and a yogurt. the small protein in the yogurt is what gives it the small "straightening" effect while the coconut cream and oil softens the hair. I will try it when the braids come down. I will definitely look into the GHD. I was also thinking about the CHI brand one. It is better than getting "cheapies" grin every time that more cost more money and damages hair

[size=13pt]I like the Senegalese one. LOL! There's something about fingers working on your head. It's so relaxing, too relaxing sef. I'll have to research into it. I haven't relaxed my hair in 6 months and I'm not feeling the need to. My hair's quite tame actually. Maybe the coconut relaxer can help me stretch even longer or give it up altogether.

I haven't owned a GHD. It's been on my wishlist for like 5-6 years now lmao. I owned a CHI Nano before. It did okay on my relaxed hair. I used it on my cousin who's natural. Her hair reverted almost immediately. The iron didn't get hot enough. That one didn't have a temp adjuster. undecided[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Sissy3(f): 7:12am On May 17, 2013
I did the kinky twist with a reddish burgundy color. I liked it. A lot easier than braids grin

LOL @ "been on my wishlist for like 5-6 years now". I remember when i will go in to flat iron after months of relaxer break, the first question the stylist always ask is "are you going natural"? every time angry. I just want to flat iron biko grin grin. You should try it if you can get the coconut cream
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 8:07am On May 17, 2013
~Sissy~:
I did the kinky twist with a reddish burgundy color. I liked it. A lot easier than braids grin

LOL @ "been on my wishlist for like 5-6 years now". I remember when i will go in to flat iron after months of relaxer break, the first question the stylist always ask is "are you going natural"? every time angry. I just want to flat iron biko grin grin. You should try it if you can get the coconut cream

[size=13pt]Really? If it's easy, then I like lol.

Lol, it's a heavy investment! As much as I want one, I'm having a hard time dropping that much for a flat iron. undecided

My stylist asks the same lol. Have you done the coconut "relaxer" before? I've been reading comments about it on blogs and youtube. A lot of people aren't noticing much of a difference. I didn't see one either to be honest. It seems like a really good conditioning treatment, but I don't know if I want to go through all that fuss for a conditioner. Not when I have good conditioners now lol.[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 10:02am On May 17, 2013
Mehn, still cannot locate the leave in conditional , I just washed, blow dry and flat ironed my hair!

Looks great by the way, I didn't know flat iron works on Afro hair!

I guess the texture won't last, and yes, am tempted to relax the hair! My dark and lovely kit is still staring at me, hoping to be used embarassed!
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by DollyParton1(f): 4:14pm On May 17, 2013
Vikin: and yes, am tempted to relax the hair! My dark and lovely kit is still staring at me, hoping to be used embarassed!

Me too, its taking all the will power in me not to use that relaxer... embarassed embarassed
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 17, 2013
[size=13pt]Lol. Yeah it gets hard sometimes. I'm flat ironing my hair today in hopes of resisting the urge of relaxing again.

How long has it been for the two of you?[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 17, 2013
Vikin: Mehn, still cannot locate the leave in conditional , I just washed, blow dry and flat ironed my hair!

Looks great by the way, I didn't know flat iron works on Afro hair!

[size=13pt]Of course it works! Lol.

I've heard of using conditioner as a leave-in. I'll have to double check. Or you could try to make your own.[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 17, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]Lol. Yeah it gets hard sometimes. I'm flat ironing my hair today in hopes of resisting the urge of relaxing again.

How long has it been for the two of you?[/size]

Mine is7 months. It's the first time I tried the flat iron thing! Great btw!

Can you help with the customize leave in conditioner
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 17, 2013
Vikin: Mine is7 months. It's the first time I tried the flat iron thing! Great btw!

Can you help with the customize leave in conditioner

[size=13pt]Nice! I'm right behind you with five months. I think I said six earlier. I can't count lmao.

Anyway, yeah, let me see what I can find. BRB lol.[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 17, 2013
Thanks smiley
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Sissy3(f): 2:35am On May 18, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]Really? If it's easy, then I like lol.

Lol, it's a heavy investment! As much as I want one, I'm having a hard time dropping that much for a flat iron. undecided

My stylist asks the same lol. Have you done the coconut "relaxer" before? I've been reading comments about it on blogs and youtube. A lot of people aren't noticing much of a difference. I didn't see one either to be honest. It seems like a really good conditioning treatment, but I don't know if I want to go through all that fuss for a conditioner. Not when I have good conditioners now lol.[/size]

I havent tried it. I would have been the guinea pig if i werent in braids now sad but i plan to when i take them down. I dont think there should be any big noticeable difference in terms of the "relaxing" effect since it is basically nothing more than a really good conditioner with a little straightening effect grin

I'd rather invest more into a good one that works than be stuck rotating around cheapies lipsrsealed grin
Try it and add color to it!
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 6:13am On May 22, 2013
~Sissy~:
I havent tried it. I would have been the guinea pig if i werent in braids now sad but i plan to when i take them down. I dont think there should be any big noticeable difference in terms of the "relaxing" effect since it is basically nothing more than a really good conditioner with a little straightening effect grin

I'd rather invest more into a good one that works than be stuck rotating around cheapies lipsrsealed grin
Try it and add color to it!

[size=13pt]Lol. I don't mind trying. I don't know where I'll find coconut cream though. We have coconut milk in abundance but I've never seen coconut cream before. I'll have to keep looking. I think I saw on Black Hair Media that it does a good job strengthening the line of demarcation, so I'm sold lol.

True. The one I have is FHI. It was a limited edition model for less than $100 (that's plus shipping o), and it's lasted me three years or so.
I'm a chicken! Lol, I don't think I'd want to use extensions. I can't seem to find a video of it done on relaxed hair. Again, I'll keep looking lol.[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Sissy3(f): 5:55am On May 23, 2013
Yea, the coconut cream is harder to find. Whole food stores or Asian markets would probably have it. Or online. I'd imagine it would help at demarcation given the softening effect of it.

Lol, you dont like extensions? it probably wouldn't work then sad
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by dreses(f): 10:00am On May 24, 2013
I remember when my hair grew after I shaved it for the second time. I dyed it blonde and it took me over 3hours to flat iron. It was crazzzzy! I was always afraid to get it wet. It's harder straightening hair when it's curly than when it's an afro. I guess yours didn't take too long because it's permed.
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 9:30am On May 25, 2013
~Sissy~:
Yea, the coconut cream is harder to find. Whole food stores or Asian markets would probably have it. Or online. I'd imagine it would help at demarcation given the softening effect of it.

Lol, you dont like extensions? it probably wouldn't work then sad

[size=13pt]You're right. I went to Whole Foods and found some there, in abundance lol. I'm working all weekend. I wonder when I'll have time to try it. Maybe Monday.

I don't o. I've never worn them before, and my biggest fear is the twists are braids being done too tightly. They're so beautiful though lol. I'll keep looking for a way around it.[/size]
Re: How Long Do You Take To Do Your Hair? by Nobody: 9:32am On May 25, 2013
dreses: I remember when my hair grew after I shaved it for the second time. I dyed it blonde and it took me over 3hours to flat iron. It was crazzzzy! I was always afraid to get it wet. It's harder straightening hair when it's curly than when it's an afro. I guess yours didn't take too long because it's permed.

[size=13pt]African hair is hard work! Lol. That fear of wetting the hair is the biggest downfall of flat ironing.

Yeah, I'd assume that flat ironing relaxed hair is easier than natural hair... only freshly after a relaxer though. It's been 5.5 months for me. What's most time consuming is detangling though. Flat ironing never takes me more than 2 hours on its own.[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's Your Favourite Skin Beauty Product ? / Ghana Braids Styled In To Ponytail, See Photos / Fashion Police In The Sun News Paper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.