Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,636 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award (48127 Views)

FIFA Ballon D'or 2014 Awards On 12th January 2014 / PICTURES: PROUD WINNER ... Lionel Messi Shows Off The Ballon D'or Award / Messi Wins Ballon D'or (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Enoyoh: 7:38am On Jan 08, 2013
HOW MANY GOALS DID FABIO CANAVARO SCORE THE YEAR HE WON?

Oahray: Is it even debatable? The FIFA Ballon d'or award is for best individual performance.

Messi had the best individual performance last season. He was exceptional when many of his team mates (pedro, sanchez, villa with injury, tello, cuenca etc) were out of form and squandered so many chances.
Was always involved in Barca's build-up to goals. Scored like crazy, yet assisted superbly.

Here's the stat, Messi was directly involved in 102 goals (scored 73 and assisted 29) about 54% of Barca's total (190) goals in all competitions.
Barca won only 3 of the 12 laliga games in which Messi failed to find the net.

Ronaldo scored a total 60 goals with 15 assists. That means he was directly involved in 75 goals, about 43% of Madrid's total (174) goals.

Contribution to total amount of
team goals
Messi - 54% of Barcelona goals
Van Persie - 49% of Arsenal goals
Huntelaar - 48.7% of Schalke goals
Ibrahimovic - 45% of Milan goals
C. Ronaldo - 43% of R. Madrid goals
Gomez - 40% of Bayern goals

Yet they say Ronaldo should win for 'singlehandedly' winning laliga for Madrid. Smh. If its about the trophies, then Casillas, Iniesta, Aguero, Pirlo and Didier Drogba all deserve the award.

The stats never lie.
Messi all the way!
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Enoyoh: 7:46am On Jan 08, 2013
IN 2010, Wesley Sneijder was the favourite for the award considering his performance, but the blind people who voted gave it to Messi. what are you talking about?

Oahray: In my opinion, Zidane should have won it that year, cos he was by far the best player in the world cup in a season without any exceptional player in club football.

I think Cannavaro had this world cup medal to thank.

If this is your argument, it doesnt help the Ronaldo cause.

Ronaldo won only the La liga, which is not more important than the EPL which players Aguero and Yaya Toure helped win, or Serie A in which a Pirlo-inspired Juventus went unbeaten for the whole season to win it.

Didier Drogba was Chelsea's best player and they won European clubs' biggest prize that season.

Now lets go international football. Messi didnt play in the Euros. Ronaldo put in lack-lustre performances in his first two games in the Euros. He shone in the next two.
However it would be a sacrilege to even mention Ronaldo's Euro performance in the same sentence with that of Pirlo or Iniesta (who happens to be a contender). I apologize for just doing so.

In the Euros, Ronaldo was only as good as Balotelli.

In any individual part of last season, or the whole, Ronaldo didnt come out tops in the world.

The facts (including the one you quoted) supports this.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by tomakint: 7:51am On Jan 08, 2013
Messi is like a Vintage wine, he keeps getting better every year! The next question should be; 'Is he heading for a 60-goal mark in the league?' Like Guardiola would say, "JUST WATCH HIM"! OluwaMessi, o ti daaju. (OluwaMessi, is too good). cool
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Youngzedd(m): 7:53am On Jan 08, 2013
Pergrace: Messi wins the award ....but the guy for try speak english nah grin grin grin grin grin

No be only English, na pidgin.
How many dey there last night fit speak english.

Messi all the way............
Barca all the way.......................
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by montelik(m): 8:00am On Jan 08, 2013
In reality and stats wise.

1. Iniesta won the EuropeanCup and was on of the best there, Casillas could have been there also.

2.Single handedly put Portugal threw into the semifinals

3.Ronaldo won the league,

3. Ronaldo won the Supercopa with his goals against Barca

4. Ronaldo scored only 4 goals less than Messi in the League, 46 to 50

5.Ronaldo assisted 12 in the league. Messi 15.

6. Finished the competition as the joint best scorer with three goals in Euro’s

7. Messi scored 91 goals

8. Messi won a spanish cup

9. Messi Went out in the same manner as Ronaldo in the CL.

10. Iniesta won a spanish cup

messi is the best, but this is the same as with Sneijder, he won the CL, won a treble in Italy and reached the finals of World cup. NOTHING.

Agains, Messi is the best, but achievement wise, WRONG decisions.

This is the same thing they did when denying Sneidjer and Henry. Honestly I wish they would separate the Ballon Dor from WPOTY, at least it would give more variety and opinions. FIFA's WPOTY award for me is too open to politics and campaigning for me.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by seankay(m): 8:04am On Jan 08, 2013
CR7 is just unlucky to play at the same time with this...(Dunno what to call him) the lyks of zidane,figo,ronaldo must be thanking der stars by now because they wouldn't have won anything had they played together.the guy is just unbelievable as if they installed football software in his brain cos as a normal footballer,u can't av all his attributes at the same time(dribbling,scoring,passing,freekicks,teamwork,assists...)And he keeps getting better.Messi d best footballer ever to grace the pitch.but I dey fear d day he go catch my dear team,chelsea

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by logica(m): 8:09am On Jan 08, 2013
montelik:

This is the same thing they did when denying Sneidjer and Henry. Honestly I wish they would separate the Ballon Dor from WPOTY, at least it would give more variety and opinions. FIFA's WPOTY award for me is too open to politics and campaigning for me.
Yes, it is politics. It is a popularity contest more than anything. And it keeps showing that even with the number of Nigerian haters (very high because Nigerians usually hate anything good or successful), world-wide this wonderful work of art is generally loved; even more by those closest to the game (reporters and team captains). And not just the fans.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 08, 2013
They should just the award "the Messi award" or the "Messi D'Or", because I don't think he has any serious contender even for the next three years.
Messi Winning the award for the next three years will be the death of football.
Sneijder was robbed in 2010, he didn't even make the top three finalists, while Xavi's name was among the three. Is there anything that Xavi does in a midfield that Sneijder doesn't do? Or better still, is there anything that Xavi did in a football team in 2010 that Sneijder didn't do?
This award is purely ridiculous!

And the Fifa 11?
Cassilas

Alves Pique Ramos Marcello

Alonso

Xavi Iniesta

Messi Ronaldo

Falcao

This list is very very subjective.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by deletrue: 8:21am On Jan 08, 2013
coogar:

chelsea have won in europe, so have nottingham forest and aston villa. apart from barcelona and real madrid, which other club in spain have won in elite europe? none!!! that's the problem with spain. the top 2 clubs pack the best players in the league and left the others with nothing. how would it look if 80% of the quality players in the premier league all play for man utd and chelsea?
Am convinced that you are getting it wrong. I think it is not a matter of packing the quality player that is the case with barca. That club has special quality. There are many other powerful spanish players. But when you join barca, you become wonderfull. Just like the nigerian police, once you join them, that persons changes for bad immediately.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by mukoloAndy(m): 8:28am On Jan 08, 2013
[/quote][quote author=ddippset]he won the pichichi, ehen? who won the champions league golden ball? who was copa del rey top scorer? who had 53 goals and more assists? pls dont twist facts here just to suit yourself.

#am glad u admit tu d fact dat d event "ronaldo scorin more goals dan d GENIUS in a competitive la liga season" happened.. grin
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by mukoloAndy(m): 8:35am On Jan 08, 2013
[/quote][quote author=seankay]CR7 is just unlucky to play at the same time with this...(Dunno what to call him) the lyks of zidane,figo,ronaldo must be thanking der stars by now because they wouldn't have won anything had they played together.the guy is just unbelievable as if they installed football software in his brain cos as a normal footballer,u can't av all his attributes at the same time(dribbling,scoring,passing,freekicks,teamwork,assists...)And he keeps getting better.Messi d best footballer ever to grace the pitch.but I dey fear d day he go catch my dear team,chelsea

In my opinion, Chelsea work very hard each tym dey face him.. #truth, buh dey jus have dis "luck" dat helps dem escape his wrath #bigger truth!
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 08, 2013
Messi is fortunate to be playing in a very compact team like Barca for a very long time. This helped him alot, he can't outshine other attackers in the world if he played in another team. He has been able to develop and improve on his overall performance rapidly because of the barca system.
If C. Ronaldo was in Barca for a long time like messi, he would've been at messi's level (although messi will still be better). If a player of Ronaldinho's quality was in this Barca squad, Messi won't win the award. I bet my life on that.
This goes to show the football world is lacking in rare talents, the ronaldinhos, da limas, del pieros, maradona, okocha's etc
There are better tactics and strategies now than before, but the talents to compliment the system is lacking. Only messi, neymar and a few others.
Messi is what he is today because of barca, he's really fortunate.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by IyfeNamikaze(m): 8:41am On Jan 08, 2013
ekwah:

Oga think before you type na?
'but was he better than Ronaldo in 2012? Hell nO!!!!
Messi was only scoring goals and[color=#990000] won nothing last year??,
while Ronaldo was scoring goals too,but he won la liga and super cup.
Iniesta even won uefa nations cup with spain.'[/color]

Do you have the statistics to back up you silly claim?? What exactly do you have to back up your argument? goals? assists? overall qaulity of both players? Calm down joor grin

[s]Am a barca fan incase u want to throw tantrums at me[/s]. Mtcheew! Think before you Lie!!

Ask yourself if La liga and super cup are the same as the World Cup! Why don't you face the truth for once atleast? How can an intelligent man say Ronaldo was better than Messi in 2012!!! angry How?
U must be a fool. have u asked your silly self why canavaro won this same award? He didnt even score up to 10 goals,yet he won it..why? zidane nko? Did he score up to 40 gaols? No! Even ronadinho,figo and baggio.
Am a barca fan, but this award was sentimental and biased. And don't forget those were the time when shevchenko was reigning supreme in goals,but he never won it.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 08, 2013
seankay: CR7 is just unlucky to play at the same time with this...(Dunno what to call him) the lyks of zidane,figo,ronaldo must be thanking der stars by now because they wouldn't have won anything had they played together.the guy is just unbelievable as if they installed football software in his brain cos as a normal footballer,u can't av all his attributes at the same time(dribbling,scoring,passing,freekicks,teamwork,assists...)And he keeps getting better.Messi d best footballer ever to grace the pitch.but I dey fear d day he go catch my dear team,chelsea

Messi's got nothing on ronaldo da lima, ronaldinho, zidane and figo when they were in their prime. He's what he is today because he's a barca player. That's all
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by dainamo90: 8:44am On Jan 08, 2013
Merciless Messi merited it. All hail d king of futball.....
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Makasamson(m): 8:45am On Jan 08, 2013
J12:

Messi's got nothing on ronaldo da lima, ronaldinho, zidane and figo when they were in their prime. He's what he is today because he's a barca player. That's all
dose u mentioned got wat dey had den cos dey were playin 4 d current best team and dats wat messi is doin nw
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by eriegua83: 8:46am On Jan 08, 2013
jonex70: IAM NOT MESSI OR ROLADON FAN, BUT ONE THING AM CERTAIN OF IS THAT ALL THE GREASTES FOOTBALLER IN THE ONE HAS ONE THING IN COMMOM WHICH IS THE WORLD CUP. UNTIL MESSI WIN IT FOR NOW PEOPLE WILL REMEMEBER HIM BUT AFTER HE HAS RETIRED NOBODY WILL REMEMBER HIM AGAIN UNLESS HE WIN THE WORLD CUP WHICH IS THE ULTIMATE AWARD IN THE WORLD OF FOOTBALL. RONALDO DELIMA, ZINADE, MARADONA, PELE AND MOST OF THE GREATES FOOTBALLER IN THE WORLD ARE REMEMBER FOR ONE THING WORLD CUP. RONALDO DELIMA NEVER WON THE CHAMPION LEAGUE NEITHER PELE OR MARADONA. FOR BE I BELIEVE THE SPANISH LEAGUE IS TOO SIMPLE AND EASY FOR BOTH MADRID AND BARCELONIA. VERY SOON THE SPANISH LEAGUE WILL NOT EVEN HAS A SPONSOR because NOBODY WANT TO WATCH BORING LEAGUE AGAIN. ALL THE GREATEST RECENT FOOTBALLER HAS ONE THING IN COMMON THEY EITHER PLAY IN BOTH SERIA I OR LA LIGA OR ATLEAST THEY WON THE WORLD CUP. EG ,,,MARODANA. RONALDO, ZINADE,AND RODADINHO.MESSI HAS PLAY AGAINST CHELSEA 8 TIMES AND HE HAS NEVER SCORE A AGO. AM NOT CONVINCE ABOUT HIM. I THINK THE DEFENDER IN LA LIGA ARE TOO SOFT AND WEAK AND THEY GIVE HIM TOO MUCH SPACE.
HAS C.RONALDO WON THE CUP?
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by seankay(m): 8:53am On Jan 08, 2013
J12:

[quote author=J12]

Dat guy s d best player ever,let's just admit it.Use c.ronaldo as a case study,d guy s d best 4 now but only bettered by d genius messi.And dat he s a barca player adds nofin to this.he wud shine even if he plays for tottenham
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by ceah(m): 8:55am On Jan 08, 2013
May you not be a Ronaldo in Merci's Generation...Can I hear a loud Amen!!! ... ***coming from a Ronaldo fan*** :p
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Oahray: 9:04am On Jan 08, 2013
Enoyoh: HOW MANY GOALS DID FABIO CANAVARO SCORE THE YEAR HE WON?

Typical Nigerian. We always know how to single out a tiny point from a whole, overflog it while conviniently ignoring the others.

Nowhere in my post shows that I think scoring goals is the sole criteria for the award.

A literate person would see that I was comparing Messi and Ronaldo performance-wise, and talked of their involvement in their teams' goals. They are both attackers, so what's wrong with comparing goals and assists?

IMO, Cannavaro won cos Zidane's headbutt worked against him. Many voters didnt see his act as befitting of someone who was to be the face of football for that year.
That said, you cannot compare Ronaldo with someone like Zidane. Zidane does not have to score to have a great game. Messi too.

Unlike them, goals is all Ronaldo has going for him as per performance. Without scoring in most matches, he looks average at best cos he hardly initiates attacks or sets team mates up for goals. Even in goal scoring, Messi is better.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by GOZILLA(m): 9:05am On Jan 08, 2013
ActiveMan:

ABEG RONALDO IS THE BEST. MAKE MESSI GO ANOTHER CLUB MAKE HE COME BECOME WORLD BAST MAKE WE SEE..
Exactly! Landlord (Messi) travel and see!
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by django59(m): 9:08am On Jan 08, 2013
The federal ministry of health warns that haters(badt belle people)are liable to die young

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by SimplySEA(m): 9:11am On Jan 08, 2013
Enoyoh: HOW MANY GOALS DID FABIO CANAVARO SCORE THE YEAR HE WON?

hahahahahaha....! I laugh in spanish! No mind them. U know wat, i tink torres should have won it. He won d champions league and was given d golden boot award in d european cup! What do u tink people...?
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by merengue: 9:12am On Jan 08, 2013
Too many idiots on this thread. If you feel Messi needs to leave Barcelona to prove himself, tell SAF, Casillas, Totti, Giggs, Terry, Scholes and co to also go prove themselves elsewhere. Also tell your fathers to go bang some other chicks and get them pregnant, after all, they have proven themselves worthy by getting your mothers pregnant and begetting you dummies.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Oahray: 9:21am On Jan 08, 2013
Enoyoh: IN 2010, Wesley Sneijder was the favourite for the award considering his performance, but the blind people who voted gave it to Messi. what are you talking about?

Yeah, the 'blind people' who gave it to Messi happen to be team coaches and journalists, experts who would easily drown you with stats.

Sneijder was in an inter team that performed excellently from attack to defence. Google his stats (passes, assists and whatever else a midfielder is supposed to do) for that season, compare with his team mates both in country and club, and judge for yourself.

If it were solely based on how many trophies you win, Casillas won both spanish league and Euro;
Iniesta won Copa del Rey, Club World Cup and Euro (along with two supercups, spanish and UEFA);
Juan Mata won Champions' league, FA cup and Euro.
Torres won the UCL, FA cup and Euro and even won the golden boot in the Euro.
Let me stop there.

And Ronaldo won just one trophy. Just one!

If it were solely based on trophies won, your Ronaldo would not even appear in the top 3. Keep crying.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Dee60: 9:21am On Jan 08, 2013
So many people here that have no understanding of football.

At any rate, the coaches, managers and captains who understand football have voted MESSI the winner. That settles it.

History has shown that Nigerians are never good voters. They refused to vote AWOLOWO and later called him the best president that never was. They refused to vote Buhari, Utomi, Ribadu and they are now lamenting everyday on NL for voting GEJ. Poor folks. Always getting it wrong and admitting it later.

MESSI, carry on. There is no one that has mastered football at this point in time like you have done.

GOD bless Messi. More caps and more records, please. And of course, more votes from people who know the game of Soccer.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by logica(m): 9:23am On Jan 08, 2013
J12: Messi is fortunate to be playing in a very compact team like Barca for a very long time. This helped him alot, he can't outshine other attackers in the world if he played in another team. He has been able to develop and improve on his overall performance rapidly because of the barca system.
If C. Ronaldo was in Barca for a long time like messi, he would've been at messi's level (although messi will still be better). If a player of Ronaldinho's quality was in this Barca squad, Messi won't win the award. I bet my life on that.
This goes to show the football world is lacking in rare talents, the ronaldinhos, da limas, del pieros, maradona, okocha's etc
There are better tactics and strategies now than before, but the talents to compliment the system is lacking. Only messi, neymar and a few others.
If this, if that. Blah blah blah. Deal with the realities. Ronaldo de Lima's era is gone. Ronaldinho's era is gone. This is Messi's era. Each of those Greats briefly had their era overlap; but they each dominated their era. Only de Lima had to contend with Zizou (Zidane).

Each of them had elements that built them up. de Lima was built up by playing Beach Football. That built up his stamina and pace. That's why the world had never seen a player dribble while running so fast.

Ronaldinho got his skills from playing Futsal from a tender age. That built up his close ball control and ability to use confined spaces. That's why you see him wriggle free from seemingly tight spaces when cramped by defenders.

Both de Lima and Ronaldinho were lucky to be in the same great Brazilian team that won the WC in 2002. That team of course also had the great Rivaldo! It would've been sacrilege if that team didn't win the WC. Teams win trophies, not individuals. By the way, de Lima's other "win" was in 1994 when he spent the entire tournament on the bench! How dare de Lima step on the pitch with the likes of Romario Farias controlling affairs!

They were all lucky one way or the other too; just like Messi.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Dee60: 9:26am On Jan 08, 2013
CR7 is already talking of abandoning Madrid just because their chances of winning the league is slim. If he does that, he may never get nominated for Ballon Dor again. His friend should advise him. Good players stay loyal, in thick and in thin. He should learn from Messi, Iniesta, Gerrard, Terry, Casillas, and others.

Stay where you are celebrated and not where you are tolerated. Basic rule of life. I wish you well.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Tinynita(f): 9:27am On Jan 08, 2013
i knw he deserves it..bt its kinda boring naw
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Dee60: 9:31am On Jan 08, 2013
J12: Messi is fortunate to be playing in a very compact team like Barca for a very long time. This helped him alot, he can't outshine other attackers in the world if he played in another team. He has been able to develop and improve on his overall performance rapidly because of the barca system.

Thank you for mentioning Maradona, the man who publicly admitted that Messi is greater than him (Maradona)! But I agree with you that Barcelona team has helped Messi. It is also true that Messi has helped the Barcelona team. He likes to assist his team mates, and may be that is why he always get the edge against CR7 when players vote!
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Oahray: 9:36am On Jan 08, 2013
Iyfe Namikaze:
U must be a fool. have u asked your silly self why canavaro won this same award? He didnt even score up to 10 goals,yet he won it..why? zidane nko? Did he score up to 40 gaols? No! Even ronadinho,figo and baggio.
Am a barca fan , but this award was sentimental and biased. And don't forget those were the time when shevchenko was reigning supreme in goals,but he never won it.
three things:

(1) You are not a Barca fan, stop lying.

(2) Messi was better than Ronaldo in everything, from goals to assists to completed passes.

(3) Ronaldo won the league cos Madrid was better than Barca last season, not because Ronaldo played better or was even as good as Messi.
Madrid had Benzema and Higuain who scored more than 20 goals each, and Ozil whohad the highest assist in Laliga. The league was team success.

Individually, Messi had the better season. The stats confirm this, and the football experts who voted endorsed it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (Reply)

PSG Vs Manchester City UCL (2 - 0) On 28th September 2021 / Chelsea vs Liverpool - ( 0 - 2) On 20th September 2020 / Manchester United VS Derby County: Carabao Cup (7 - 8 On Pens : 25-09-2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.