Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,203 members, 7,811,545 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage (19811 Views)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour Interviews Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by bodejohn(m): 11:37pm On Feb 05, 2013
It is quite easy to understand the divergent views of Nigerians on the power situation in the country.
A story was once told of four blind men, they were asked to feel an elephant and afterwards describe was they think it is. One touched the leg and said it was a tree, another touched the trumpet and said it was like a snake.

The power situation in the country is so sensitive and I believe Nigerians commented based on their experiences.
There is a lot of enlightenment that is required, for example, Nigerians who are connected to 33kv lines will receive better and reliable power supply if compared to others on the 11kv line which is most common. Also consumers who live in areas where VIPs live will also receive better power supply at the expense of other citizens.

Thee are many developing communities of recent and with the lopsided distribution of transformers, many homes are deprived of power even when it is available. I leave in a community of more than 300 houses, the nearest transformer to my abode is about 2km. Even when there is power, it is useless until I combine multiple stabilizers to bring it to a reasonable voltage for use.

I will not shout on the government for not providing power, this is not to say that I am not disappointed, but I know above all that is been generated, I first of all need a transformer in my community. I can only begin to talk about stable power supply when it can get to my mouse.I will care more when my government, both state and federal, begin distribution of transformers than generating more power because at my level I need a transformer badly.

Since I cannot wait for the government I have gone into providing green and renewable energy for my use.
It is expensive though but I got my peace back with no more noisy neighbors, ops I mean generators!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by tantita(m): 11:57pm On Feb 05, 2013
y is dis anampour girl so keen on tkin down gej..wre thy both high schl sweet hearts?...lol(jst a tut)..gej tell her dis tin didnt start with ur regime go on tell her!/..lol gej ur a finished man jor pls resign before ur name strt being use interchangbly with stupidity!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by talktimi(m): 12:25am On Feb 06, 2013
I asked a simple question here yet these racist, tribalistic and biased moderators decided to hide my post. Which kind nonsense be this ne ? If they know they can't tolerate different views then they should simply close down this site.

Tinubu as a governor signed a contract with Enron in America for an independent power project for Lagos state, the first of such in Nigeria but this was before Enron as a company fell. What happened to the money/project ? We as residents have a right to know.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ocelot2006(m): 12:42am On Feb 06, 2013
Eko Ile:

The fact that she featured just 3 people doesn't mean she didn't interview more than 3 people. it's all about what she can fit into her show because of time limitations.

So she just picked 3 people from A SINGLE STATE, because their opinions represents that of most, if not all, Nigerians? Really?! This is just plain wrong!

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by KokoBeware: 12:56am On Feb 06, 2013
Eko Ile:

The fact that she featured just 3 people doesn't mean she didn't interview more than 3 people. it's all about what she can fit into her show because of time limitations.

My point exactly... and you as a reporter or put your self in her shoes.. which stories will you put to support the Superbowl thing.....
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by adconline(m): 1:25am On Feb 06, 2013
talktimi: I asked a simple question here yet these racist, tribalistic and biased moderators decided to hide my post. Which kind nonsense be this ne ? If they know they can't tolerate different views then they should simply close down this site.

Tinubu as a governor signed a contract with Enron in America for an independent power project for Lagos state, the first of such in Nigeria but this was before Enron as a company fell. What happened to the money/project ? We as residents have a right to know.

So because Tinubu wasted LASG money with ENRON's IPP, we should continue on the same wastage spree?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Eziachi: 1:53am On Feb 06, 2013
naptu2: In Lekki I would love to say that the power situation has improved, but I'm holding out. Two weeks ago we had almost 24 hrs electricity for 3 days.

Why am I holding out?

In 2007 we had almost 24 hours electricity for two weeks! The battery of the diesel generator ran down. But after a while normalcy resumed. We had similar spurts and starts during the Obasanjo era.

Two weeks ago we had almost 24 hours electricity for three days. That week power supply improved considerably. Yesterday we had no power all day (they brought it late in the night and took it early this morning).

I will only heave a sigh of relief when the system is completely liberalised! When I know that investment is pouring into the distribution system, so that we don't experience blackouts when power generation increases, because the transformers cannot cope with the increase. When the transmission lines are able to effectively evacuate generated power and deliver them to the distribution centres. And when there's adequate gas delivered to our power plants and we are investing in alternative sources of energy.

I will only praise the person that can deliver consistent improvement in power supply, rather than the one step forward and one step backward we've been experiencing since 1999.
Take the ferry across Cameroon one of your neighbours, you will see how most people there is their 20s had never experience a power cut ever, and here you are killing goat for 24hrs of power you paid for and you are supposed to be the giant of Africa.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Eziachi: 1:58am On Feb 06, 2013
SKYQUEST: Those interviewed and those tweets cannot be a representative of the populace, the spread of the sample of those interviewed also will not give a resonable position of the power situation in the country. That said, except your area or location have particular unrssolved issue with PHCN, generally, I do believe the power situation in the country has improved, let's be objective here; ignore the hatred you have for GEJ for now. I live in a part of Isolo LGA, on the average, we have about 16 hours of power everyday. There is improvement of power in the area my company is in VI, although most time we still run on generator because the power is not good enough to efficiently power our offices.
This is 21st century,counting the hours of power, no longer conforms with modern age, that belong to the dark ages. Uninterrupted supply of light is one of the least basic right of many people around the world, even in Benin republic. No wonder your leaders take you people for a ride.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by KokoBeware: 2:15am On Feb 06, 2013
Eziachi:
This is 21st century,counting the hours of power, no longer conforms with modern age, that belong to the dark ages. Uninterrupted supply of light is one of the least basic right of many people around the world, even in Benin republic. No wonder your leaders take you people for a ride.

Yea its the 21st century but it doesnt happen overnight... whats the population of Benin republic?? one "i pass my neighbour" myt just be able to power the whole country.....think about only the land pass of Nigeria and lets be a little realistic it cannot physically happen in 2years.....
Power is one aspect that i closely follow and even though am not a great GEJ fan.. i can say the progress so far especially compared with the road map is quite on point..

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by adconline(m): 2:41am On Feb 06, 2013
Do you know the population of Indonesia and Brazil? They all have stable power
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 2:51am On Feb 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: Man, wise up and stop ranting. If you have a superior argument as per any debate on the thread state them.

Abusing your opponent doesn't necessarily earn you a point.

We are all here to learn and get informed. Tell us your side of the story stating all available facts within your disposal plus your intelligent analysis and allow others to oppose or support your argument. Allow Nairaland Users to judge.

Name calling, insults and abuses makes this section and forum look childish. Thanks you for your understanding

Tell that to yourself and like minds in the 40 Lappy crew.Fraudulent folks focused on conning Nigerian will not have room to operate freely.Its gonna be Fire for Fire to reclaim our land.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 3:06am On Feb 06, 2013
Eko Ile:

Which of his programs do you like or the ones we've benefited from? Cassava bread program? I can't shout jare..lmao

The one that goes into his personal account monthly.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 4:30am On Feb 06, 2013
no deceive yaself. This is not that useless type of journalism you think. It's called Investigative Journalism, Not BROWN ENVELOPE JOURNALISM that we know some popular Naija journalists/advisers for.

taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by hotwax: 5:26am On Feb 06, 2013
_babyshaQ: Nigerians are always ranting and GEJ bashing on twitter. It is pretty obvious a lot of people don't even want the government to succeed. I am Nigerian and i live in port harcourt, the power situation has vastly improved and it is improving. Most of the children on twitter are not or were not even eligible to vote when their parents voted GEJ yet they reign abuses on the man like he is the cause of all our problems. smh. with all these happening these days, i'm beginning to like GEJ cos of the way he's handling slanders from the media. No other past president was this democratic towards the media.
FACTS: 1. Most Nigerians who do GEJ bashing do not watch local news, so in there opinion, things are not changing
2. A lot of nigerians live in inappropriate locations bereft of the city plan and still expect power transmission to be smooth.
3. Most nigerians haven't even lead a small play group yet they insult people who make an attempt
4. A lot of nigerians tweak their power meters and try not to pay bills.
5. Nigerians mostly posit this 'holier than thou attitude.' Just before you call him an idiot/mumu/retard/ just look inward. The Leaders are the reflection of the majority of the people. Few lions cant preside over a multitude of goats (say 160 million) or vice versa.
6. Finally, the large majority of CLUELESS nigerians voted for GEJ after about a year of incompetence, and will still vote for him in 2015 when offered money. A TERM LASTS FOUR YEARS, SO LIVE WITH YOUR DECISION!!!!

We are the cause of our problems NOT GEJ
Are you A̶̲̥̅​ nigerian at all? Since when has NEPA start using meters?
They just allot any figure to anybody at anytime they want.
For two months we travelled and close down our house. When we came back, we saw NEPA bill of 30,000. Who used this 30,000? Our ghost abi?
So much for meter tweaking?

Why can't Nigerians be sincere for A̶̲̥̅​ seconds.
All you people claiming PHCN has improved are from benin and portachot South south.
This is not about supporting our tribe man. PHCN is not improving.
Not for A̶̲̥̅​ minute in Lagos, I was in Osun last week. Kwara state last week. I travel A̶̲̥̅​ lot. Power is d same everywhere.
People in that your Benin are even complaining too.
Even if Jonathan generate 6million megawat, how are they gonna distribute it? Increasing megawatts is not the iSsue. Do PHCN have the facility to distribute power. Most transformers always bursting in flames. Once NePa get this distributing right, even if we 1 megawat, Nigerians will appreciate it.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by hotwax: 5:34am On Feb 06, 2013
SKYQUEST: Those interviewed and those tweets cannot be a representative of the populace, the spread of the sample of those interviewed also will not give a resonable position of the power situation in the country. That said, except your area or location have particular unrssolved issue with PHCN, generally, I do believe the power situation in the country has improved, let's be objective here; ignore the hatred you have for GEJ for now. I live in a part of Isolo LGA, on the average, we have about 16 hours of power everyday. There is improvement of power in the area my company is in VI, although most time we still run on generator because the power is not good enough to efficiently power our offices.

Based on the stability of power in the area you live, we can conclude that other 35 states and other areas in your state has unresolved power issue.
Waoooow. A̶̲̥̅​ typical liar.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by talktimi(m): 5:58am On Feb 06, 2013
adconline:

So because Tinubu wasted LASG money with ENRON's IPP, we should continue on the same wastage spree?
my brother, I can never suggest we continue on any wastage spree except you'll be the one fuelling my generator grin I'm only asking for accountability by our rulers. During OBJ's tenure, over $16 billion was expended on power generation projects across the country, we all know how those projects went to voicemail and we also know how the contractors are strolling all over abuja as free men, one is even a sitting governor now. I've said it many times on this forum, let's hold our politicians/leaders accountable to us. Let's drag them back to our constituences and question them if not we shall not have any reasonable thing to tell our children in the future which will be a shame.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Bolan123: 7:45am On Feb 06, 2013
Eko Ile: I don't know why the useless I.diot lied to the world when the same world is not oblivious about the pathetic power situation in Nigeria.

Many around the world think we are crooked, corrupt and liars, but this dullard picked the most popular media platform in the world to confirm...

Smh...
The fact that you don't have a father does not mean u should sound so stu.pid. A human mistake, if at all u can be categorized.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Pergrace: 7:52am On Feb 06, 2013
Common guys over 52 years of independence we are still talking about Power supply cry cry cry cryThe truth still remains that the issue of power stability across the nation is yet to be dealt with.....When by now we would have moved to other needs.... cheesy
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Afam4eva(m): 8:51am On Feb 06, 2013
I don't know if any of you noticed but the girl in the first picture is a sound city presenter.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 10:06am On Feb 06, 2013
Afam4eva: I don't know if any of you noticed but the girl in the first picture is a sound city presenter.

Good investigative journalism. Now, what is her name and phone number? grin
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by otokx(m): 10:50am On Feb 06, 2013
The university of Port Harcourt and environs are connected to a 33 grid line but yet darkness reigns supreme.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by paulharry: 11:05am On Feb 06, 2013
thanks so much for your observations and if you watch very well she interviewed them in the same area and gave a general statement about the whole country . most people are happy cos they thought this was a disgrace on GEJ not knowing that the president of Nigeria is not just a name. it is even bigger than GEJ, thats why GEJ can leave tomorrow but the president of Nigeria remains . that documentary was a joke on all of us as Nigerians

taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by blackbeau1(f): 11:42am On Feb 06, 2013
ypzilanti:

This is a really dumb post. Power went off once for 30 minutes in how many years and you say she was ashamed? Power goes off occassionally in every developed country in the world. Once a year, maybe twice...electric errors and overloading maybe. Sometimes for maintanance issues.

If I was the one that employed you to the 40 lap top squad, I would fire you today. is this really the quality of reasoning that comes from your brain?
but she is right. America just turned our attention from their mess up @ d super bowl game and we couldn't even catch up with their trick.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by olajide8(m): 2:12pm On Feb 06, 2013
adconline:

We need to go back into history, and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Tinubu ran lagos with zero allocation from federal government (taxes from the people, tenament rates and all types of bills - foreign loans where even declined for lagos state because the federal government did not guarantee these loans), if I can remember well, lagos state funds were seized by the federal government, for the establishment of local council development area's LCDA, because in PDP mind it would amount to more allocation to the LCDA's, it was until Yar adua took the mantle-ship of power and fashola was paid, the funds, that had been seized, by the federal government of OBJ, that finance were available for more capital projects, less I forget Enron was supposed to be a state government project were the state gave enron the structure they repaired and distribute power to the lagos state grid and charged based on production cost that the F.G claimed that it would be to expensive for the people and they scuttled the MOU, if I am not wrong now, the project was the first of its kind and the federal government wanted monopoly of power to use as a tool, they stood against that project *my thought- then*
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 06, 2013
hotwax:
Are you A̶̲̥̅​ nigerian at all? Since when has NEPA start using meters?
They just allot any figure to anybody at anytime they want.
For two months we travelled and close down our house. When we came back, we saw NEPA bill of 30,000. Who used this 30,000? Our ghost abi?
So much for meter tweaking?

Why can't Nigerians be sincere for A̶̲̥̅​ seconds.
All you people claiming PHCN has improved are from benin and portachot South south.
This is not about supporting our tribe man. PHCN is not improving.
Not for A̶̲̥̅​ minute in Lagos, I was in Osun last week. Kwara state last week. I travel A̶̲̥̅​ lot. Power is d same everywhere.
People in that your Benin are even complaining too.
Even if Jonathan generate 6million megawat, how are they gonna distribute it? Increasing megawatts is not the iSsue. Do PHCN have the facility to distribute power. Most transformers always bursting in flames. Once NePa get this distributing right, even if we 1 megawat, Nigerians will appreciate it.
We are having over 20hrs of power everyday and i'm in portharcourt Nigeria grin. Its not the same everywhere but generally IT'S IMPROVING

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
occam:

I cringed when I watched that interview. He appeared very unsure and pitiful. He seems not to understand the problem and rambled incoherently. Why didn't he mention the privatization process?

He dared Amanpou to ask Nigerians and she did. Most Nigerians aren't seeing the improvement in power and that’s the truth. A few, perhaps

C’mon over 5 years (as VP, Acting President & President) this guy still can’t articulate the issues about power sector in Nigeria.
You watch a lot of hollywood movies from your ramblings. We could actually count the eloquent past leaders of Nigeria and most of them were of the first republic. Don't you think you are overcritical of GEJ. It is just not fair. Concentrate on the message. At least He hasnt changed since he was acting president when majority of nigerians loved him. About conferences and public speaking he has also improved a great deal or maybe your 'i-beta-pass-my-neighbour' made your TV to show an inverted black and white interview grin

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Fellonigerians: 3:53pm On Feb 06, 2013
Nigerians just just complain and complain and complain. When OBJ was around, una no complain about power problem. From 1979 to 1999 there was no investment in the power sector, with the population boom and development. he cannot do magic overnight. Anyone that says that there has not been improvement in the sector is a liar. when he says improvement, he is looking at Nigeria and not one village or the other. The useless Amanpour did not just strike GEJ, the struck Nigerians and the country Nigeria. I hope Okupe interviews 4 people and the saw the light situation has improved, and we go wetin una go talk. WHETHER UNA LIKE AM OR NOT, THE FACT REMAINS THAT THE LIGHT SITUATION IN NIGERIA HAS IMPROVED AND CAN ONLY GET BETA AS LONG AS GEJ CONTINUES ON THIS TRACK, PERIOD. IF YOU NO LIKE AM, GO JUMP INTO A LAGOON!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, anyone that calls the President of Nigeria a fool is a bigger fool!!!

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Eziachi: 10:43pm On Feb 06, 2013
KokoBeware:

Yea its the 21st century but it doesnt happen overnight... whats the population of Benin republic?? one "i pass my neighbour" myt just be able to power the whole country.....think about only the land pass of Nigeria and lets be a little realistic it cannot physically happen in 2years.....
Power is one aspect that i closely follow and even though am not a great GEJ fan.. i can say the progress so far especially compared with the road map is quite on point..
Keep making excuses for your useless rulers. You guys tend to use your population index when it suits. Your country denied poor masses of the country the opportunity of watching the current AFCON because you claimed you are charged more than countries like Benin you are now using their size as an excuse.
When it was mentioned to you that your population viewing figure is much higher, you don;'t want to hear it, today you are using the same big population to justify you archaic power supply compared to your small and poorest neighbours around you.

When your rulers want to buy for themselves, the latest Jets, BMW, Merc with your money, they always go for the latest one without thinking how long it took nation like U.S to get to the stage where their rulers was able to use such luxuries, but when it comes to making sure that public amenities are in tune with the rest of the world, they will start telling how long it take to get there. I free sorry for some of you.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by naptu2: 4:45am On Feb 07, 2013
Eziachi:
Take the ferry across Cameroon one of your neighbours, you will see how most people there is their 20s had never experience a power cut ever, and here you are killing goat for 24hrs of power you paid for and you are supposed to be the giant of Africa.

But isn't that exactly my point? During Yar'Adua's era I had almost 24 hours electricity for two weeks, but before you can say Jack Robinson, we went back to darkness, so why should I celebrate now?

I can only heave a sigh of relief when the sector is fully liberalised, when there's investment in the distribution systems, so that transformers don't pack up because they can't handle constant electricity, when the transmission lines are able to properly evacuate power to the distribution centres and when there's adequate gas being supplied to the power plants and we are investing in renewable sources of energy.

At the moment, I won't hold my breath.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by lekkie073(m): 6:00am On Feb 07, 2013
Eziachi:
so any country with stable power supply is automatically better than Nigeria. dem dey chop light? I once visited Ethiopia and I started this comparison with naija. they have a steady power supply, good roads, but no economic development. u will marvel at how thousands of Ethiopians will each day sit outside the Bole airport wondering how come fellow blacks like them have so much income to travel out of their respective countries. I concluded from there that social amenities alone don't make a country developed. other strata too should follow. the only place naija is backward is social amenities. I live by a mantra, if the government cannot provide this for me, let me try to provide it for myself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ekiti Beer Sellers Hail Fayose As He Empowers Them With N10m(photos) / Ministers’ Aides Turn Executive Beggars / Shell’s 20km Gas Pipeline Connects Industrial Zones In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.