Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,075 members, 7,811,014 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage (19806 Views)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour Interviews Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by deletrue: 4:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
ypzilanti:

Let me ask you this question: At what point did the people who voted for Jonathan become the people who hate Jonathan. I did not vote for him, but many of his critics on NL and those I know personally did. People are dissillusioned with his pace of work and his penchant for awarding frivolous sums to himself and his crew for rubbish. They are also not pleased with his hands off approach to corruption. Those are the issues. GEJ should address the issues to improve his popularity and stop chasing shadows. as things are, he already lost 50% of those who voted for him in 2011.
Your comments has indicated how low your reasoning level is. You are blaming and complaining about a persons you did not vote for. Now, what has come over you that you are complaining since you did not vote for him because you knew he will make a bad leader! Honestly you and your likes should attend some medical centre for proper brain examination. If you had voted in his favour, then it is different issue. Am sure you are highly confused as a result of your incomplete or shaky nuts upstairs.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by occam(m): 4:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
ballabriggs: Jona is a known fraud. A man who lied stupidly on the $67 billion reserves, what do you expect again.

Back then in Lagos early 2000s, I used to get close to 18 hrs power supply daily and so I find it strange that the same level of supply is called "improvement" by Jona and his gang.

There is no improvement if it does not go round. Nigeria's population is increasing and it still seems at the same level per capita as it was in the 1980s. Improvement?

Thanks for this. The reason why this constant reference to 4,000 MW output is just hollow. Besides the pop. then was around 130 million.

Now we know the privatization process is ongoing and have been told to expect great changes when completed. Well, we'll wait
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Ngwakwe: 4:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
Man, wise up and stop ranting. If you have a superior argument as per any debate on the thread state them.

Abusing your opponent doesn't necessarily earn you a point.

We are all here to learn and get informed. Tell us your side of the story stating all available facts within your disposal plus your intelligent analysis and allow others to oppose or support your argument. Allow Nairaland Users to judge.

Name calling, insults and abuses makes this section and forum look childish. Thanks you for your understanding

Kamanda:

He is Reno Omockery,AKA Beaf,insincere9gerian,the last pope and many other I'd's(You'll easily identify them cos they say the same lame things daily)
He is a morally bankrupt man,a liar and a demented twig of the highest order.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by yeddy99: 5:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
GEJ did himself in when he suggested that the man in the street should be asked.he never banked on amanpour doing just that.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Akainzo(m): 5:21pm On Feb 05, 2013
Artistree:
Abeg help me ask am o! Maybe e be PHCN staff, stage-managing d whole fing! My area for Benin na 5mins per day dem dey bring light & d voltage be like candle flame.
There is no area in d country that has 24hr uninterrupted power supply, except ofcos...Aso Rock Villa!

Do not despair, even Aso Rock budget 300 Million for generators (and other related items) in the 2013 budget!
So much for "light has improved" that the state house budgets for generators, fuel and general maintenace. Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 5:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
Nigerians are always ranting and GEJ bashing on twitter. It is pretty obvious a lot of people don't even want the government to succeed. I am Nigerian and i live in port harcourt, the power situation has vastly improved and it is improving. Most of the children on twitter are not or were not even eligible to vote when their parents voted GEJ yet they reign abuses on the man like he is the cause of all our problems. smh. with all these happening these days, i'm beginning to like GEJ cos of the way he's handling slanders from the media. No other past president was this democratic towards the media.
FACTS: 1. Most Nigerians who do GEJ bashing do not watch local news, so in there opinion, things are not changing
2. A lot of nigerians live in inappropriate locations bereft of the city plan and still expect power transmission to be smooth.
3. Most nigerians haven't even lead a small play group yet they insult people who make an attempt
4. A lot of nigerians tweak their power meters and try not to pay bills.
5. Nigerians mostly posit this 'holier than thou attitude.' Just before you call him an idiot/mumu/retard/ just look inward. The Leaders are the reflection of the majority of the people. Few lions cant preside over a multitude of goats (say 160 million) or vice versa.
6. Finally, the large majority of CLUELESS nigerians voted for GEJ after about a year of incompetence, and will still vote for him in 2015 when offered money. A TERM LASTS FOUR YEARS, SO LIVE WITH YOUR DECISION!!!!

We are the cause of our problems NOT GEJ

4 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Feb 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
O men! Go to her page and see finishing! Choi!! Jonathan thought Christie is another Thisday news paper reporter that could easily be bought and lied to. Nigerians are all out, resolved to put the lying dolt to the rightful place he belongs i.e. Hall of Shame.

Again, is sincerefool and other 40 laptop crew members on vacation? smh!
Can i have a link to this page.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Afamdman(m): 6:19pm On Feb 05, 2013
I have read stuff from some govt nitwits here(the 40 man laptop crew) shame on you, say the truth for once so there will be improvement in our country. As am typing this, there is no light. How can there be light when the friends of the government sell desiel and generators, how? My friend, tell ur boss the people are angry at his statement because there is no light. If you should take a poll of the people who have commented here, you'll get a true picture of the light situation in our dear country. Let's call a spade a spade there is no improvement in light in Nigeria. Plus stop insulting people we r all entitled to our opinion you can't claim to love nigeria more than us. I stay in festac there is no light improvement here. We can't all hate GEJ and be lying, besides have u asked the question why do people hate him, what has he done to them. Multitude of people can't all be mad at the same time nowwwww. He is failing the people he has the power to do right let him do right and the people will applaud him.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by SKYQUEST(m): 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2013
Those interviewed and those tweets cannot be a representative of the populace, the spread of the sample of those interviewed also will not give a resonable position of the power situation in the country. That said, except your area or location have particular unrssolved issue with PHCN, generally, I do believe the power situation in the country has improved, let's be objective here; ignore the hatred you have for GEJ for now. I live in a part of Isolo LGA, on the average, we have about 16 hours of power everyday. There is improvement of power in the area my company is in VI, although most time we still run on generator because the power is not good enough to efficiently power our offices.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by stupor(m): 7:25pm On Feb 05, 2013
Nairaland Mods surely work for Jonathan !

Several times when i write about PHCN erratic power supply,the write-up never see the light of the day as it never gets front page view and each time the Mods see a non-liberal support for GEJ claims about PHCN,it quickly gets to Front page.

@ seun ! Some of yours are taking and slowing down Nigeria's revolutionary growth and development as all they represents seems very cheaply and political.

As Amanpour has opened up their 'yansh' I wonder whose interview they would be gunning for next.

*Oprah's ?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by stupor(m): 7:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
Nairaland Mods surely work for Jonathan !

Several times when i write about PHCN erratic power supply,the write-up never see the light of the day as it never gets front page view and each time the Mods see a non-liberal support for GEJ claims about PHCN,it quickly gets to Front page.

@ seun ! Some of your MOds are slowing down Nigeria's revolutionary growth and development as all they represents seems very cheaply and political.

As Amanpour has opened up their 'yansh' I wonder whose interview they would be gunning for next.

*Oprah's ?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
J12: Is lagos the only state in Nigeria?
It is.. why do you think the population is increasing by the hundreds every day - all from other states
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by occam(m): 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]I am not doubting that people do indeedhave as much as 4 generators in their houses and offices..

My dad has 4 Diesel generators as well and an Inverter. But that babe was just talking for the sake of it. Now I wonder why you felt insulted by the presidents comment. Here is an extract of the transcript from that CNN interview with the president;

Christiane Amanpour: Alright, well the United States Assistant Secretary of State has said that the method of the crackdown is inflaming the population and inflaming the situation.

Let me move on to the issue of corruption. When I interviewed you three years ago now, in your first interview as you assumed power, you said that the main issues for the people of Nigeria are corruption and even electricity, power you talked about. Well today those are still the same issues. Some 60% of the people of Nigeria don’t have enough or regular power, regular electricity. There’re constantly shortages and outages. Three years later, what do you have to say about that?

GEJ: I would have loved that you asked an ordinary Nigerian on the streets of Lagos, Abuja or any other city the situation about power.

That is one area that Nigerians are quite pleased with the government, that our commitment to improve power is working. So if you are saying something different I am really surprised. That is one area, one area that even civil society members agreed that government has kept faith with its promise.

Christiane Amanpour: So, so what should I tell people that keep contacting us and say they hope they have electricity just to be able to watch this interview on their televisions? Clearly it is still a big problem. Is it still a big problem, despite, you say, the progress you say you’ve made?

GEJ: We have not got to where we should be and of course you know the power infrastructure is one investment that you must complete the chain before the, th.., the bulb can light. You must generate, you must transmit, you must distribute. And even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you cannot do it over night. And we are working very hard, and I promise you that before the end of this year power will be really, reason…, reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for years. So you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time even if you have the money.[/i]

What exactly did the president say that was wrong or remotely infuriating about his statement?!

The president said that Nigerians are happy with the current improvement noticed in electricity, I concur. Many Nairalanders also concur. Its evident in our homes. He also pointed out that we havent reached the pinnacle or even close, but without a doubt, there is an improvement. [/b]

I cringed when I watched that interview. He appeared very unsure and pitiful. He seems not to understand the problem and rambled incoherently. Why didn't he mention the privatization process?

He dared Amanpou to ask Nigerians and she did. Most Nigerians aren't seeing the improvement in power and that’s the truth. A few, perhaps

C’mon over 5 years (as VP, Acting President & President) this guy still can’t articulate the issues about power sector in Nigeria.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ocelot2006(m): 7:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
tchaik:

have you had Power for straight 24 Hrs #uninterrupted?
And where exactly do you reside in Benin?

Yes I have (Jalingo, Taraba state). Including today.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ocelot2006(m): 8:21pm On Feb 05, 2013
I've always had a lot of respect for Amanpour. But she is DEFINITELY wrong on this one. Is Lagos the only state in Nigeria? Of course there's been an increase in power generated. Over here in Jalingo, Taraba state (at least from Mile-6 to road block), we enjoy btw 22-23hrs of light on a normal day, and straight 24hrs of light in the past few days.

Back home in PH (Ada-George), power supply is a bit erratic, but our neighbours along the same street connected to a different lineand some areas within the adjacent Federal Housing estate enjoy way more hours of light.

But I guess the 3 individuals interviewed and tweets from a few Nigerians (including some in diaspora) represent the opinions of all Nigerians.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Afam4eva(m): 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
ocelot2006: I've always had a lot of respect for Amanpour. But she is DEFINITELY wrong on this one. Is Lagos the only state in Nigeria? Of course there's been an increase in power generated. Over here in Jalingo, Taraba state (at least from Mile-6 to road block), we enjoy btw 22-23hrs of light on a normal day, and straight 24hrs of light in the past few days.

Back home in PH (Ada-George), power supply is a bit erratic, but our neighbours along the same street connected to a different lineand some areas within the adjacent Federal Housing estate enjoy way more hours of light.

But I guess the 3 individuals interviewed and tweets from a few Nigerians (including some in diaspora) represent the opinions of all Nigerians.
So, are you suggesting they go and interview 150 million Nigerians to get the true story? Was it not Jonathan that told her to go to lagos and ask people annd that they will testify to the improvement in power. He never thought she would do that. The people CNN interviewed are Nigerians living in Nigeria and their sentiments reflects the sentiments of majority of NIgerians. Are the comments on her page not an evidence to that fact?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by EkoIle1: 8:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: You are terribly, terribly terribly WRONG; just cud not overlook dis... I SUPPORT GEJ cos I bliv in his programmes, and frankly also cos of d UNREASONABLE virulent criticism (really, Hostility) of a few of his critics basd entirely on hatred and/or political/ethnic sentiments. I realise though that MOST of d peeps who criticize the govt and GEJ do so cos they really want d best for themselves and Nigeria esp afta bn lied to for a very long time and cos sm of dem rili bliv for good reasons that if they begin to praise GEJ's govt now, he may not perform again- I honestly undastad that and in fact support it. I love d way MOST of us, esp d Youths, are now more ENGAGE- which is what I personali always wantd. However, there are dis tiny set of people whose aim for virulent, completely unhelpful criticism is fuelld primarily by d quest to acquire POWER and a strong sense of HATE towards d PERSON of d President and they wud stop at nothing to get at him including employing PROPAGANDA; if you followd me here on NL, those are d persons I 'detest' and tackle wit little patience and I mk no Apologies about that. I criticize d govt at times, though not as much as I wud like to Or as I hv always done to previous govt, cos of these twigs; I howeva completely support constructive criticisms and d esp new ENGAGEMENT by very many youths these days asking questns, as long as they are done FAIRLY and the ONLY PURPOSE IS THE FURTHER PROGRESS OF THE NATION and not sm narrow selfish interest..

Which of his programs do you like or the ones we've benefited from? Cassava bread program? I can't shout jare..lmao
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by kutchs: 9:03pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, are you suggesting they go and interview 150 million Nigerians to get the true story? Was it not Jonathan that told her to go to lagos and ask people annd that they will testify to the improvement in power. He never thought she would do that. The people CNN interviewed are Nigerians living in Nigeria and their sentiments reflects the sentiments of majority of NIgerians. Are the comments on her page not an evidence to that fact?
Is he not a Nigerian? He‘s telling you that power supply has significantly improved in Jalingo where he stays and u‘re questioning him. If you believe the three interviewed by Amanpour what stops u from believing him?
The problem with most of u is that you have sworn not to believe in Jonathan no matter how hard he tries.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by delvinmaya(m): 9:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
_babyshaQ: Nigerians are always ranting and GEJ bashing on twitter. It is pretty obvious a lot of people don't even want the government to succeed. I am Nigerian and i live in port harcourt, the power situation has vastly improved and it is improving. Most of the children on twitter are not or were not even eligible to vote when their parents voted GEJ yet they reign abuses on the man like he is the cause of all our problems. smh. with all these happening these days, i'm beginning to like GEJ cos of the way he's handling slanders from the media. No other past president was this democratic towards the media.
FACTS: 1. Most Nigerians who do GEJ bashing do not watch local news, so in there opinion, things are not changing
2. A lot of nigerians live in inappropriate locations bereft of the city plan and still expect power transmission to be smooth.
3. Most nigerians haven't even lead a small play group yet they insult people who make an attempt
4. A lot of nigerians tweak their power meters and try not to pay bills.
5. Nigerians mostly posit this 'holier than thou attitude.' Just before you call him an idiot/mumu/retard/ just look inward. The Leaders are the reflection of the majority of the people. Few lions cant preside over a multitude of goats (say 160 million) or vice versa.
6. Finally, the large majority of CLUELESS nigerians voted for GEJ after about a year of incompetence, and will still vote for him in 2015 when offered money. A TERM LASTS FOUR YEARS, SO LIVE WITH YOUR DECISION!!!!

We are the cause of our problems NOT GEJ

All u have said is true, bro, what brand do you drink?
Nigerians, putting all the blame on GEJ, but if anything that make us repugnant is the fact that we aid and contribute towards the rot we all scream against. When we have that father, mother,siblings or family members who are actively engaged in ruining nigeria. We are the worst hypocrite ever. And those who willfully insult the person of the president, how would you feel when your own child describes you in worse words?

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by KokoBeware: 9:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
occam:

I cringed when I watched that interview. He appeared very unsure and pitiful. He seems not to understand the problem and rambled incoherently. Why didn't he mention the privatization process?

He dared Amanpou to ask Nigerians and she did. Most Nigerians aren't seeing the improvement in power and that’s the truth. A few, perhaps

C’mon over 5 years (as VP, Acting President & President) this guy still can’t articulate the issues about power sector in Nigeria.

DO you really think those where the only people Amanpours crew Interviewed on the streets??... i could stake a lot that they screened out those that said power has improved and is improving.... she needed to package her story and that she did.....

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ocelot2006(m): 9:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:

I'm not saying she should interview 150 million plus Nigerians. But just 3 people within a single state?! Cmon! What the opinions of those from other states? Even a poll would have been way better than what they did.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by EkoIle1: 9:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
ocelot2006:

I'm not saying she should interview 150 million plus Nigerians. But just 3 people within a single state?! Cmon! What the opinions of those from other states? Even a poll would have been way better than what they did.

The fact that she featured just 3 people doesn't mean she didn't interview more than 3 people. it's all about what she can fit into her show because of time limitations.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by adconline(m): 10:04pm On Feb 05, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Stay there and die of your stupidity. Those foreigners are your friends ke. Go and check their activities in the country. Continue to slumber till they come for your head. conspiracy with corrupt, no good politicians; by foreign media/government is enough to red flag that media/government. This is for any intelligent citizen of any human country. Their is no place for a foreign biased media, in any civilized nation.

It's your cretin way of thinking that makes u believe that it's OK to be treated as trash by ur so called and adored black leaders. Anyway, you have no idea of what it means to experience uninterrupted power cos u have never seen one and not going to see in ur lifetime. You will only hear promises..It's OK to be enslaved by our black leaders!
I pay 7500 every week to run my gen for about 5-6hrs everyday in the night. Daytime is far worse. Xmas I ran gen everyday. I have more orders from clients asking me to procure stand by gen sets for them and you are talking from useless brain.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by occam(m): 10:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
KokoBeware:

DO you really think those where the only people Amanpours crew Interviewed on the streets??... i could stake a lot that they screened out those that said power has improved and is improving.... she needed to package her story and that she did.....

You're only speculating; you don't know who was screened out.

Put aside her selection process and focus on the message. Fact is, as most people know: we no get light for Naija. All this he go come gan he dey go small na story. People that have stayed in African countries with constant power supply will just laugh at all this our light is improving thingy
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by olajide8(m): 10:12pm On Feb 05, 2013
I was going through the post of so many people on amanpours blog, claiming to be nigerians, God! it stinks with so much lies, some even claim that others, making statements about the poor power situation in Nigeria are lying, Nigerian- which way to go? Their is no power in-respect of the direct investment of this government, and its not as if theirs any check's and balance's that can gag the excesses of the president-i can't talk again, Jare! these foreign countries are those that help the common man jail Ibori, cecila ibru

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by bodejohn(m): 10:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
lovejo: In my area in Ibadan, Oluyole extension precisely, we got light of at least 18 to 20hrs daily, anyone living around this area can confirm it, I don't know about those having transformer problem.

You are on a 33kw power line, if you do not have stable power, then Nigeria should not be a country.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by bodejohn(m): 10:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
AK-ONE:
See Nigerians exposing the weakness of their Nation to the world. I wonder if Amanpour is the one that will solve the power problem in Nigeria. I have never seen critics like Nigerians, even calling their president "Retarded". Even if the President lied, calling him names is only creating a bad image for us as Nigerians? All Nations have their issues, even America but they keep their issues to themselves. America is Never our standard. Power supply is bad in Nigeria, but it is not what it used to be. Improvement is a process. We only wish it would be faster. GEJ can do better.

I am not sure you follow world politics. You mean citizens of developed countries cover up their governments?
Why then did we hear of the several presidential scandal gates in the US? Do you know that Americans went online to mock their crying parents after some kids were shot and killed? What was Berlusconi of Italy removed for sef? Constructive criticism of governments make them work better.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by talktimi(m): 11:19pm On Feb 05, 2013
What I understand by the comments on this thread so far is that all those who have experienced an improvement in their electricity supply should deny such improvement and claim to be in total darkness, I'm sorry but I'm not a liar. When Mr Jonathan decides to goof which he does regularly, I yab him well enough but i will never see white and call it black. Now the impression many people are giving on this thread is that the country is in COMPLETE darkness, such a shame.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 11:21pm On Feb 05, 2013
Power has improved in my area. We enjoy 24hrs supply, even if they take the electricity, at most 3hrs, power will be restored and it won't be taken again for like a week. I stay I Abuja but I think those in the rural areas might not be enjoying this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu, Amosun, Others At Dolapo Osinbajo's 50th Birthday Celebration / Adebo Ogundoyin's First Official Sitting As Oyo Assembly Speaker (Photos) / PDP Governors Mount Pressure On Wike To Drop Ayu-Must-Go Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.