Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage (19810 Views)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour Interviews Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by takedat(m): 12:12am On Feb 05, 2013
KokoBeware:

But she left out this part which I think justified his statement

JONATHAN: We are not quite where we should be, and of course you know the power infrastructure is
one investment that you must complete the (inaudible) before the ball collides. You must generate, you
must transmit, you must (inaudible), and even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you
cannot do it overnight. And we are working very hard and I promise you that, before the end of this
year how I will be reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for
years. So, you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time, even if you have the money.
If this was what he said without challenging her boastfully to go on the streets of Lagos to confirm, it would have been fair but he made a blanket statement of a general improvement, hence the public uproar after the interview.

Hope the privatisation solves the problem though, because Nigerians will still take him up if the promise of the year ending doesn't materialise!

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by jaymichael(m): 12:25am On Feb 05, 2013
idiot
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 05, 2013
Whether HATERS like it or not, the fact on ground is that public power supply has improved. The last time there was a survey of power supply situation in different parts of the country on this same NL, the VERDIT was unambiguous.
https://www.nairaland.com/1144376/public-power-supply-continues-improve

If we repeat the same survey today, the verdict will remain same. Only haters and fools will regard an interview of 3 or 4 persons by CNN as an assessment of power supply situation in the country.

That power has improved does not mean EVERY PART of the country now has stable power. It means MANY parts of the country now has stable power, unlike before.

Mr president said this much during the interview- that power has improved but we'r not there yet.

Thanks to @kokobeware for helping us with the text of relevant parts of that interview:

"We are not quite where we should be, and of course you know the power infrastructure is
one investment that you must complete the (inaudible) before the bulb can light. You must generate, you
must transmit, you must (inaudible), and even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you
cannot do it overnight. And we are working very hard and I promise you that, before the end of this
year power will be reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for
years. So, you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time, even if you have the money.....President Jonathan (during the latest CNN interview)

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by fabianblaise: 12:36am On Feb 05, 2013
Prof Corruption:

They might just call her ACN's witch or CPC's bi.tch.
lol...ahhhh!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by fkaz(m): 12:36am On Feb 05, 2013
ypzilanti: Christiane Amanpour:

https://www.facebook.com/amanpourabc

Na wah. Just went to her facebook site and Nigerians were bashing GEJ left and right. Wow! No wonder she was dismissive of GEJ at some point during the interview.

After visiting Amanpour FB and read comments. I feel sorry for Azikiwe Jonathan, those who advise him to grant that interview, are his enemies.
The bashing is 2 much
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 12:45am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: I reside in d Ugbowo and Upper Mission areas; and power has very very significantly improvd in those areas and MOST parts of Benin, except for d FEW things when there are national systems issues like I said. THIS IS FACT. They interruptd light about 20mins ago and just restord it now- this is not unusual to us here where I stay for almost a yr.... NO body talkd about 24hrs CONSTANT supply, dat is not even possible for MANY parts of Nigeria even b4 2015; am talking of significant improvements and real work done. GEJ inheritd a DEAD power sector for Goodness' sake, and only a complete IJIOT wud expect him (or anybody for that matter) to clear d decays of decades in 2yrs. WHAT THA FUVK IS WRONG WITH US
Nothing is wrong with us. Many of these persons are HATERS, who simply HATE the person of the president because of one sentiment or the other. Some are paid to criticise and find faults. The later category of persons are just doing their job.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by takedat(m): 12:52am On Feb 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Nothing is wrong with us. Many of these persons are HATERS, who simply HATE the person of the president because of one sentiment or the other. Some are paid to criticise and find faults. The later category of persons are just doing their job.
How many people were you expecting to be interviewed to get a more balanced perspective on the state of power supply? Are those tweets and facebook comments not from Nigerians? Or were they sent by Tinubu and Buhari? It is people like you that express frivolous primordial sentiments that the people who voted in GEJ hates him because of one sentiment to another. I do not blame you because you seem to benefit from government largesse so everyone who says contrary to the view you hold about GEJ are termed Haters.

10 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Dibiachukwu: 12:54am On Feb 05, 2013
Amancunt has no business delving into Nigeria's business. Then CNN devils should mind theirs. Where were all these foreign media and concerned Nigerian friends, when OBJ was massacring whole villages in ODI. They interviewed him numerously but never asked him about that. To me, the fact that all the western devils are all up on their toes against Jonathan, should tell all intelligent Nigerians that Johnathan my be doing something right. Have we all forgotten how BBC faked an interview with yaradua, when the man was dead. Have we forgotten that these people are the same people pushing against the PIB bill. Do you think they would let go, without a bit of winching. Look out they have set up a base in Niger. From there, they would disguise themselves as alqueada, and equip boko haram with the most sophisticated terrorist weapons. Niger - Nigeria border is the most porous. Keep these people away from your country, or they would turn you into refugees. Watch out for the escalation of boko haram activities in the coming month. CHUKWU DUO ALAIGBO, CHUKWU DUO NAIJIRIYA. Tough times ahead. Ihejirika CHUKWU GA EDU GI. JOHNATHAN CHUKWU KUZIE GI.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by jmaine: 1:15am On Feb 05, 2013
never knew sampling an extremely negligible niche is requisite enough to arrive at a conclusive inference cheesy . . . .

Lolz . . . .The rabid anti GEJ crew need to always do better than erupt in needless and fault rigged glee. . . .

Kids on the prowl embarassed . . . .
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by taharqa: 1:33am On Feb 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Abeg help me ask Jonathan that boasted and blatantly said Christie should go to the street of LAGOS and enquire about how they are enjoying lights 24/7. Why did he made reference to street of LAGOS in the first place? Abi, the sapele water way im drink no allow am see front?

Next time, tell Jonathan to put his mouth where his lies can reach.

You are a IJIOT and a LIAR!! Where did GEJ ever say that Lagosians now enjoy 24 hrs power. Don't you pips have even the slightest SHAME when spurning your PROPAGANDA?? You lots DISGUST me. Lawd!!!

This is the TRANSCRIPT of that interview:

I would have loved that you asked an ordinary Nigerian on the streets of Lagos, Abuja or any other city the situation about power.

That is one area that Nigerians are quite pleased with the government, that our commitment to improve power is working. So if you are saying something different I am really surprised. That is one area, one area that even civil society members agreed that government has kept faith with its promise

Just immediately after this, he added:

GEJ: We have not got to where we should be and of course you know the power infrastructure is one investment that you must complete the chain before the, th.., the bulb can light. You must generate, you must transmit, you must distribute. And even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you cannot do it over night. And we are working very hard, and I promise you that before the end of this year power will be really, reason…, reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for years. So you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time even if you have the money.

These were his EXACT WORDS- point out exactly where he was wrong Or said a lie??

IJIOT..

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 1:48am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa:

You are a IJIOT and a LIAR!! Where did GEJ ever say that Lagosians now enjoy 24 hrs power. Don't you pips have even the slightest SHAME when spurning your PROPAGANDA?? You lots DISGUST me. Lawd!!!

These were his EXACT WORDS- point out exactly where he was wrong Or said a lie??

IJIOT..

Dont mind them. Even Buhari, their lord, promised in 2011 that if given opportunity to rule this country, he'll not stabilize power until 2019.
https://www.nairaland.com/1166955/buhari-intended-stabilize-electric-power
But Buhari and his apostles want GEJ to solve the power problem in 2days.
Hypocrisy!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 3:20am On Feb 05, 2013
How is dat my buz?Does Amanpour wants me 2 leave my IJEBU GARRI coupled wit d lack of electricity?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 6:50am On Feb 05, 2013
Those lap-top crew who are criticizing Amanpour should note that GEJ was the one who issued the challenge to CNN.

He was boastful where he should have been humble. The truth is that power has not improved for most Nigerians. Many Nigerians are passionate about the power issue in the country, hence the annoyance.

Until GEJs reforms begin to work, he should stop repeating the same lies he said on his Nigerian Media chat to foriegn media. He's embarassing us.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by confusion247(m): 7:31am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.
Too bad. The truth remains that light is still a promise not fulfilled in majority of Nigerians. More over, be informed that depending on the axis you live and the type of power line that supplies light in your area you might end up having light up to 18 hours in a day but not up to 1% of Nigerians are on this axis.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by karlmax2: 7:58am On Feb 05, 2013
I live in ajah lagos and anybody that lives in this area knows that power has improved so CNN and their crew can eat shit
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 05, 2013
Open season on aso rock drunkard! Next stop who are the real beneficiaries of oil theft?

No more hiding place for jona.

Okupe, abati, omokri and the army of laptop monkeys- u can't keep pushing foul fart as fresh air

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 05, 2013
confusion247:
Too bad. The truth remains that light is still a promise not fulfilled in majority of Nigerians. More over, be informed that depending on the axis you live and the type of power line that supplies light in your area you might end up having light up to 18 hours in a day but not up to 1% of Nigerians are on this axis.
That your 1% only exist in your ACN jaundiced imagination.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Demdem(m): 8:46am On Feb 05, 2013
The truth is the vast majority of the populace simply avnt felt the so called little achievement the retardeen talked about. Considering amount spent so far, in relation with the return on investment, I think retardeen has failed so far. I hope with a new minister now on board, we will see improvement.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 8:54am On Feb 05, 2013
karl max: I live in ajah lagos and anybody that lives in this area knows that power has improved so CNN and their crew can eat shit

Development does not have anywhere to hide. It's only in Nigeria that we have people asking others to look under rocks for on-going 'development'.

When power briefly improved about mid 2012, everyone agreed that it has indeed improved. Those of us who are always suspicious of F.G. agreed that it had improved too. Even opposition parties agreed it had improved, but cautioned ominiously about being in hurry to celebrate. Eventually, the opposition was proven right: Barth Nnaji was sacked, and we went back to square one. Now the megawatts are all being 'generated' in the pages of the newspapers.

Summarry: GEJ should accelerate the privatisation process. When we have 10,000 megawatts, then he can crow. For now all the boasting and bravado is hollow for people who are watching his interviews with generators purring outside.

5 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Ngwakwe: 9:01am On Feb 05, 2013
Nobody on this board is an I'd.iot or monkey.

Let's argue for or against Amanpour's assertions while being civil and respecting each others opinion without insults and name calling or abuse.

We have the transcript of her interview with GEJ, let's analyze/ decrypt the dialogue with the information on the ground.

Let there be no blind support for GEJ or criticism spur by hatred against GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Rhino5dm: 9:01am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa:

IJIOT..

^^^

Does stupidity comes to you naturally? This is what he said

I would have loved that you asked an ordinary Nigerian on the
streets of Lagos, Abuja or any other city the situation about power.

Thinking CNN is a place where heavy ediots congregate to appease their monumental failure with wild dream and high stories.

Yeah, she was in the street of LAGOS and guess what? Next time, don't lie to CNN and expect to go free.

By the way, am still running my generator. Fool.

4 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Rhino5dm: 9:10am On Feb 05, 2013
Yeah, Barth Nnaji was thrown out to pacify cabals like Otedolla.

Ironically, my area felt this absence and haven't recovered back to the marginal improvement we enjoyed.

ypzilanti:

Development does not have anywhere to hide. It's only in Nigeria that we have people asking others to look under rocks for on-going 'development'.

When power briefly improved about mid 2012, everyone agreed that it has indeed improved. Those of us who are always suspicious of F.G. agreed that it had improved too. Even opposition parties agreed it had improved, but cautioned ominiously about being in hurry to celebrate. Eventually, the opposition was proven right: Barth Nnaji was sacked, and we went back to square one. Now the megawatts are all being 'generated' in the pages of the newspapers.

Summarry: GEJ should accelerate the privatisation process. When we have 10,000 megawatts, then he can crow. For now all the boasting and bravado is hollow for people who are watching his interviews with generators purring outside.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by oraclefemi(m): 9:14am On Feb 05, 2013
Truth hurts right?

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by AjanleKoko: 9:15am On Feb 05, 2013
$60,000 to expose yourself in the eyes of the world?
How dumb can a president get?

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by kamuzu(m): 9:19am On Feb 05, 2013
who is Amanpour to tell us we dont have power. We do have power..........via generators grin

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by naptu2: 9:24am On Feb 05, 2013
In Lekki I would love to say that the power situation has improved, but I'm holding out. Two weeks ago we had almost 24 hrs electricity for 3 days.

Why am I holding out?

In 2007 we had almost 24 hours electricity for two weeks! The battery of the diesel generator ran down. But after a while normalcy resumed. We had similar spurts and starts during the Obasanjo era.

Two weeks ago we had almost 24 hours electricity for three days. That week power supply improved considerably. Yesterday we had no power all day (they brought it late in the night and took it early this morning).

I will only heave a sigh of relief when the system is completely liberalised! When I know that investment is pouring into the distribution system, so that we don't experience blackouts when power generation increases, because the transformers cannot cope with the increase. When the transmission lines are able to effectively evacuate generated power and deliver them to the distribution centres. And when there's adequate gas delivered to our power plants and we are investing in alternative sources of energy.

I will only praise the person that can deliver consistent improvement in power supply, rather than the one step forward and one step backward we've been experiencing since 1999.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by mastelbiz: 9:25am On Feb 05, 2013
Power has improved, if you do not have light take a trip to your nearest PHCN office and ask why. Really ashamed of the video, it clearly shows our ignorance as a nation. We should learn to ask the right questions, what are we as an individual doing wrong and how do we change it? I took a trip to the PHCN office two weeks ago to speak with one of the business managers and He categorically told me they have a lot of issues that needs to be addressed,for them to function better. Am sure someone will say that is for the government to resolve, but you what have you done to make things better?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25am On Feb 05, 2013
Watched the darn thing live yesternight on CNN

Why would CNN choose some retards to film?! That Okoko Yoruba girl was just speaking fhune (with 'How' being pronounced as 'ow') and she was overly excited to be filmed by CNN. She even claimed they had 4 generators at home.

IMO, Light situation in my area has improved from the norm. I havent had need to put on my generator at night in over a month. I have an inverter but between the Inverter and NEPA light, I always have power all night when I am home. Infact, at night, if the light goes out, its always turned back on in under 30 minutes..

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ojiefi: 9:26am On Feb 05, 2013
we have had light for over 24hours here in Abuja but that doesnt mean it is the same in all parts of Abuja. Mr. president should have exercised caution in that very bogus statement. if you listen to area report on WAZOBIA FM most of the cmplaints are on power and PHCN. so Mr. president wake up and face reality. shocked
tchaik:

have you had Power for straight 24 Hrs #uninterrupted?
And where exactly do you reside in Benin?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:27am On Feb 05, 2013
This is total bullshit Journalism!! angry angry angry angry

Power supply has improved in Nigeria, if where you stay is exempt, sorry and wait small.

These pfocking Neo imperialists angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by oddy4real(m): 9:29am On Feb 05, 2013
but EVERY SENSIBLE person who isnt unduely antagonistic should know that POWER SUPPLY HAS IMPROVED but it isnt regular yet.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.

Insincere9gerian, you are a LIAR.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

APC In Solidarity Rally For Police In Rivers, Demands Probe Of Leaked Wike Video / Restructuring: We’re Not Afraid, But Won’t Be Stampeded — Northern Elders / Ekiti Beer Sellers Hail Fayose As He Empowers Them With N10m(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.