Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,546 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage (19812 Views)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour Interviews Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:29am On Feb 05, 2013
Okija_juju: Watched the darn thing live yesternight on CNN

Why would CNN choose some retards to film?! That Okoko girl was just speaking fhune and overly excited to be filmed by CNN. She even claimed they had 4 generators at home.

IMO, Light situation in my area has improved. I havent had need to put on my generator at night in over a month. I have an inverter but between the Inverter and NEPA light, I always have power all night when I am home.
NNA ask me oh angry angry angry Arrant nonsense.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by blackbeau1(f): 9:30am On Feb 05, 2013
The social Media has made the world a small place.beautiful piece of information but it doesn't make a difference in Nigeria.in other countries,this little fact makes the leaders accountable because they are afraid of world wide disgrace and condemnation and because they have a conscience but in Nigeria,our leaders thrive on condemnation and disgrace.so,if Amanpour likes.let her tweet about it from now till eternity.it doesn't a change a thing
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by nusetron(m): 9:33am On Feb 05, 2013
@taqhara,@tchalk no 1 is saying power situation hasn't improved slightly, but why must a president pay millions of naira 4 cheap publicity when he knows d improvement isn't a marked 1. Obviously he bragged on air about lagos and amanpour decided 2 visit lagos. Leave ur sentiment aside n please 4get abt benin 4 now and think abt d general populace, evaluate their thoughts and u will know Jonathan just made a mockery of the nigerian populace. 2 cap it all I grew up in lagos and power wasn't this bad prior 2 now, so if lagosians say jona no try, ABEG TAKE IT FROM THEM. Cos its simply d GOSPEL TRUTH
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by dridowu: 9:33am On Feb 05, 2013
Ds is d handwork of buhari and tinubu, dy liase wit amanpour to bring down my lovely perish destruction party, i will have to set up committee to investigate d matter and abati and okupe will reply amanpour.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by igbsam(m): 9:33am On Feb 05, 2013
If the western Media wants to know the truth on how the govt of Nigerian is being runned. They should go out to the street and asked the angry, hungry and discomfort Nigerians out there. Then they will know the truth and not the huge painted lies being told by the govt on medias just to make them look like they are doing a good job making Nigeria heaven on earth. Good thing Christina Amanpour did. We need to see more of this. Next is the state of the Nigerian Roads!

I hope Jonathan will not raise another committee to look into what Amanpour just said to confirm if she's the person who said it. grin
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Artistree: 9:34am On Feb 05, 2013
tchaik:

have you had Power for straight 24 Hrs #uninterrupted?
And where exactly do you reside in Benin?
Abeg help me ask am o! Maybe e be PHCN staff, stage-managing d whole fing! My area for Benin na 5mins per day dem dey bring light & d voltage be like candle flame.
There is no area in d country that has 24hr uninterrupted power supply, except ofcos...Aso Rock Villa!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: I reside in d Ugbowo and Upper Mission areas; and power has very very significantly improvd in those areas and MOST parts of Benin, except for d FEW things when there are national systems issues like I said. THIS IS FACT. They interruptd light about 20mins ago and just restord it now- this is not unusual to us here where I stay for almost a yr.... NO body talkd about 24hrs CONSTANT supply, dat is not even possible for MANY parts of Nigeria even b4 2015; am talking of significant improvements and real work done. GEJ inheritd a DEAD power sector for Goodness' sake, and only a complete IJIOT wud expect him (or anybody for that matter) to clear d decays of decades in 2yrs. WHAT THA FUVK IS WRONG WITH US

I thought you lived in Enugu....Oh I forget that is your other I.D.called insinseregoat.

-Tip-
(sorry,try edit ur Enugu/Sincere posts so they are different from your Benin/Taharqa posts) But good job,my man.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 05, 2013
Okija_juju: Watched the darn thing live yesternight on CNN

Why would CNN choose some retards to film?! That Okoko Yoruba girl was just speaking fhune (with 'How' being pronounced as 'ow') and she was overly excited to be filmed by CNN. She even claimed they had 4 generators at home.

IMO, Light situation in my area has improved from the norm. I havent had need to put on my generator at night in over a month. I have an inverter but between the Inverter and NEPA light, I always have power all night when I am home. Infact, at night, if the light goes out, its always turned back on in under 30 minutes..

I have 3 generators baby mummy daddy and inverter to boot.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:45am On Feb 05, 2013
nusetron: @taqhara,@tchalk no 1 is saying power situation hasn't improved slightly, but why must a president pay millions of naira 4 cheap publicity when he knows d improvement isn't a marked 1. Obviously he bragged on air about lagos and amanpour decided 2 visit lagos. Leave ur sentiment aside n please 4get abt benin 4 now and think abt d general populace, evaluate their thoughts and u will know Jonathan just made a mockery of the nigerian populace. 2 cap it all I grew up in lagos and power wasn't this bad prior 2 now, so if lagosians say jona no try, ABEG TAKE IT FROM THEM. Cos its simply d GOSPEL TRUTH
Who made you spokesperson for Lagosians? My friend speak for yourself.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Asis(m): 9:45am On Feb 05, 2013
4va3sa22na: cheesy

Don't tell me Tinubu forcks that lady!!!

cheesy
lolz
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by MahatmaGhandi: 9:45am On Feb 05, 2013
Ngwakwe: Nobody on this board is an I'd.iot or monkey.

Let's argue for or against Amanpour's assertions while being civil and respecting each others opinion without insults and name calling or abuse.

We have the transcript of her interview with GEJ, let's analyze/ decrypt the dialogue with the information on the ground.

Let there be no blind support for GEJ or criticism spur by hatred against GEJ.

thank you jor, Some comments are just irritating
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by vlove1: 9:49am On Feb 05, 2013
i think dis should not be the issue, we agree that power has improved but why cant we have uninterrupted power supply after so much billions has been spent and presently on going.

Nigeria is one of the richest countries where the cbn governor can be paid 25,000 a day for just an allowance of whatever he calls it saying that the president approved his allowances and income, where the entire nigerian airspace is filled with private jets jettying off and fro different destinations, where a man that stole the sum of 23billion naira can be given a fine of 750,000.00 or a jail option of 2year in jail while cant we can uninterrupted power supply.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by mikewills(m): 9:50am On Feb 05, 2013
For those that complain that only 3 people were interviewed in Lagos by CNN, the fact is this.
1. Interview 3 people in London about power, the answer will be positive
2. Interview 3 people in Kuala Lumpur about power, the answer will be positive
3. Interview 3 people in Houston about power, the answer will be positive
4. Interview 3 people in Accra about power, the answer will be positive
5. Interview 3 people in Cape Town about power, the answer will be positive
These are cities I've lived in and power is awesome.

Interviewing 3 people for a 1 minute interview on prime time TV is "a lot" of people. Moreover, they can only interview in cities whose name rings a bell with the audience.
Forget that Ikpoba Hill/Benin nonsense. That place no dey map of mentionable cities.

That being said, the main culprit(s) for our lack of power is not GEJ but Babangida, Abacha, Abdulsalam and 2nd Version Obasanjo who failed to invest in the power sector even with the massive sums of money allocated to the sector.

GEJ's crime is his lack of public speaking skills to properly frame the issues in a context that would have been advantageous to him.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by oddy4real(m): 9:50am On Feb 05, 2013
AjanleKoko: $60,000 to expose yourself in the eyes of the world?
How dumb can a president get?
he is as dumb as your father grin grin grin
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by romanlaw(m): 9:51am On Feb 05, 2013
GEJ DID NOT SAY THAT THERE IS 24HRS LIGHT IN LAGOS BUT THAT LIGHT HAS IMPROVED UNLIKE WHAT IT WAS BEFORE HE CAME TO POWER. AND THAT IS JUST THE TRUTH. LET US JUST BE SINCERE FOR ONCE. LAGOS IS JUST ONE OUT OF 36 STATES AND FCT IN NIJA, SO AMAPOUR IS WRONG TO ADJUDGE THAT STATEMENT WITH FEW COMMENTS FROM LAGOSIANS WHOM ARE GENERALLY ACN"S PUPPETS.EVEN IN NIARALAND HERE PEOPLE HAS CONFESSED TO IMPROVEMENT IN LIGHT THAN BEFORE.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 05, 2013
I remember Amanpours interview with Jona where he refered her to ask Nigerians for the power situation in their country rather than sounding unfactual. Jona think say na Naija tuesday live where they no go get time run checks, but it took him by surprise when CNN Amanpour took his comment for serious.

Jona get luck say they no ask me. Well Cnn dey look for worwor ppl to potray there Vision for africa POVERTY
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by idlaw2k3(m): 9:52am On Feb 05, 2013
I moved to where I am currently staying because the electricity supply is quite constant. However outside the estate where I stay there is very little power.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by k2kay(m): 9:52am On Feb 05, 2013
If memory serves me right, it was gej that challenged her to ask anybody in the streets of either Abuja, Lagos or any other city in nigeria and she chose Lagos! U get wat u ask for in life u knw!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by mysticgal(f): 9:55am On Feb 05, 2013
what's with this amanpour girl sef
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Whether HATERS like it or not, the fact on ground is that public power supply has improved. The last time there was a survey of power supply situation in different parts of the country on this same NL, the VERDIT was unambiguous.
https://www.nairaland.com/1144376/public-power-supply-continues-improve

If we repeat the same survey today, the verdict will remain same. Only haters and fools will regard an interview of 3 or 4 persons by CNN as an assessment of power supply situation in the country.

That power has improved does not mean EVERY PART of the country now has stable power. It means MANY parts of the country now has stable power, unlike before.

Mr president said this much during the interview- that power has improved but we'r not there yet.

Thanks to @kokobeware for helping us with the text of relevant parts of that interview:

"We are not quite where we should be, and of course you know the power infrastructure is
one investment that you must complete the (inaudible) before the bulb can light. You must generate, you
must transmit, you must (inaudible), and even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you
cannot do it overnight. And we are working very hard and I promise you that, before the end of this
year power will be reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for
years. So, you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time, even if you have the money.....President Jonathan (during the latest CNN interview)
Christina Amanpour is BOKO HARAM,The Nigerians interviwed on the ground were CPC and ACN supporters,the ones on the blogs have a hidden agenda agAinst GEJ..now sleep like an angel,CHILD.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 05, 2013
but realistically-sentiments aside, power has stabilized better in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by taharqa: 9:58am On Feb 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

^^^

Does stupidity comes to you naturally? This is what he said

Thinking CNN is a place where heavy ediots congregate to appease their monumental failure with wild dream and high stories.

Yeah, she was in the street of LAGOS and guess what? Next time, don't lie to CNN and expect to go free.

By the way, am still running my generator. Fool.
Exactly. That's what a CHRONIC LIAR does when: when caught at a Lie, try anoda one. You said previously dat He said to CNN that there was 24/7 uninterruptd power in Lagos, so I gave u d FULL uncut transcript of d interview so you cud point it out. You left that and postd part of what he said (and true to d ACN propagandist you are, didnt post d remaining part of his full statement), thereby DELIBERATELY distorting what he said to serve yr agenda. I askd previously if sm of u do not hv even d slightest SHAME when lying or spreading propagand??.... And you guys shld stop this lie that you guys 'appreciated' Barth Nnaji when he was power minister. When many persons were commending him here, a few of you were casting him and calling him a LIAR and even a Thief; he only became an emergency 'HERO' to u guys when he was sackd (or was it, resignd) cos then it provided an opportunity to do what u Scums always wantd doing: Bash GEJ. While he was there and performing, he was insultd by a few of u cos doing otherwise wud hv rubbed off positively on GEJ which of course is impossible; when he left and many real Nigerians were complaining for good reasons, Nnaji suddenly became a 'HERO' and d 'best power minister eva' cos it can be usd to bash GEJ. Its same reasons why u guys' No 1 enemy, OBJ, suddenly became a 'HERO' and a 'STRONG Leader'- Nigeria's best in a long while- cos he critizd GEJ a few times. If d DEVIL himself pens an article straight from helll, sm of u guys wud immediately open a thread with d article and with d help of sm MODS push it to d FP, as long as d Devil has smthing evil to say about GEJ. Suddenly, d Devil too becomes a 'HERO'!!!.... *smh*
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 05, 2013
mikewills: For those that complain that only 3 people were interviewed in Lagos by CNN, the fact is this.

Interviewing 3 people for a 1 minute interview on prime time TV is "a lot" of people. Moreover, they can only interview in cities whose name rings a bell with the audience.
Forget that Ikpoba Hill/Benin nonsense. That place no dey map of mentionable cities.

That being said, the main culprit(s) for our lack of power is not GEJ but Babangida, Abacha, Abdulsalam and 2nd Version Obasanjo who failed to invest in the power sector even with the massive sums of money allocated to the sector.

GEJ's crime is his lack of public speaking skills to properly frame the issues in a context that would have been advantageous to him.
To late for that now,you think Amanpour doesnt have any other thing to do than to prove you right?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 10:00am On Feb 05, 2013
mikewills: For those that complain that only 3 people were interviewed in Lagos by CNN, the fact is this.

Exactly! I think GEJs best hope at improving anything in Nigeria is the power sector. The privatization process is ongoing and we are watching.

Unfortunately GEJs speaking skills is not advanced enough to properly frame the issue to Amanpour. His handlers should please coach the man on how to argue using figures. Example: 'Prior to my election, we had so so number of power plants operating at so so level. Since then we have added so so number of plants and generated additional so so megawatts of power'.

That is how the leaders of major countries speak...they always have the figures ready showing that they follow progress reports daily. Even in Nigeria we have some governors that do that too. If I call Fashola now, they will call me opposition...but even the performing PDP governors such as Duke (during his time) and Akpabio always have the figures ready at interviews.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 10:03am On Feb 05, 2013
The girl in the first pic is stunning oh!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Symphony007: 10:03am On Feb 05, 2013
What a stupid journalist amanpour has turned into. Take a trip to port harcourt and see how power supply has improved. Most buiness and amazed how much money they spend less on generators. Some states are effectively improving their power supply. Rivers state has enough power to feed the state, it just need federal permission to distribute. Cnn should go and ask fashola what he is doing about power in his "mega city"!!!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by adconline(m): 10:03am On Feb 05, 2013
Dibiachukwu: Amancunt has no business delving into Nigeria's business. Then CNN devils should mind theirs. Where were all these foreign media and concerned Nigerian friends, when OBJ was massacring whole villages in ODI. They interviewed him numerously but never asked him about that. To me, the fact that all the western devils are all up on their toes against Jonathan, should tell all intelligent Nigerians that Johnathan my be doing something right. Have we all forgotten how BBC faked an interview with yaradua, when the man was dead. Have we forgotten that these people are the same people pushing against the PIB bill. Do you think they would let go, without a bit of winching. Look out they have set up a base in Niger. From there, they would disguise themselves as alqueada, and equip boko haram with the most sophisticated terrorist weapons. Niger - Nigeria border is the most porous. Keep these people away from your country, or they would turn you into refugees. Watch out for the escalation of boko haram activities in the coming month. CHUKWU DUO ALAIGBO, CHUKWU DUO NAIJIRIYA. Tough times ahead. Ihejirika CHUKWU GA EDU GI. JOHNATHAN CHUKWU KUZIE GI.

What a display of idiocy?! Always blaming foreigners but Nigerians
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 10:07am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: Exactly. That's what a CHRONIC LIAR does when: when caught at a Lie, try anoda one. You said previously dat He said to CNN that there was 24/7 uninterruptd power in Lagos, so I gave u d FULL uncut transcript of d interview so you cud point it out. You left that and postd part of what he said (and true to d ACN propagandist you are, didnt post d remaining part of his full statement), thereby DELIBERATELY distorting what he said to serve yr agenda. I askd previously if sm of u do not hv even d slightest SHAME when lying or spreading propagand??.... And you guys shld stop this lie that you guys 'appreciated' Barth Nnaji when he was power minister. When many persons were commending him here, a few of you were casting him and calling him a LIAR and even a Thief; he only became an emergency 'HERO' to u guys when he was sackd (or was it, resignd) cos then it provided an opportunity to do what u Scums always wantd doing: Bash GEJ. While he was there and performing, he was insultd by a few of u cos doing otherwise wud hv rubbed off positively on GEJ which of course is impossible; when he left and many real Nigerians were complaining for good reasons, Nnaji suddenly became a 'HERO' and d 'best power minister eva' cos it can be usd to bash GEJ. Its same reasons why u guys' No 1 enemy, OBJ, suddenly became a 'HERO' and a 'STRONG Leader'- Nigeria's best in a long while- cos he critizd GEJ a few times. If d DEVIL himself pens an article straight from helll, sm of u guys wud immediately open a thread with d article and with d help of sm MODS push it to d FP, as long as d Devil has smthing evil to say about GEJ. Suddenly, d Devil too becomes a 'HERO'!!!.... *smh*

Let me ask you this question: At what point did the people who voted for Jonathan become the people who hate Jonathan. I did not vote for him, but many of his critics on NL and those I know personally did. People are dissillusioned with his pace of work and his penchant for awarding frivolous sums to himself and his crew for rubbish. They are also not pleased with his hands off approach to corruption. Those are the issues. GEJ should address the issues to improve his popularity and stop chasing shadows. as things are, he already lost 50% of those who voted for him in 2011.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by yomip3t(m): 10:07am On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.

Shut ur dirty mouth up ! Power has been the worst aspect they've been unable to tackle yet he promised to and didn't do anything and went on CNN saying false things about it. It seems you don't go out at all. Go to some local government in the east, you will see transformers and power lines that has never tasted power since they've commissioned it.

We are talking about having full power everywhere in the country you F.ool talking about Benin.

So, you expect her to interview millions of Nigerians before people can believe abi ! When your president told her to ask a common man in Lagos which she did.
White get brain pass us now.

F.ack U ....

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by rman: 10:07am On Feb 05, 2013
@ The pro GEJ group on nairaland.

A lot of tweets, and negative comments could not have been due to GEJ haters.

How come the few people interviewed have similar opinion?

The truth of the matter is that the conditions of living of Nigerians have not improved at all. We can not come online all the time because of political affilitions and gains to say GEJ has tranformed the country to eldorado.

All governments will have positives achievement not matter how terrible they may be, so GEJ will definately have a few positives no matter what.

Is the current situation in Nigeria what was promised 13yrs ago by democratically elected governments? The answer is NO.

Has GEJ done enough since he was sworn in 3yrs ago? NO

Like someone said in one of the comments on this thread? " when the country has truly been transformed, IT WILL BE THERE AND SO OBVIOUS FOR ALL TO SEE"

All the so called "haters" will have to say is move onto other parameters.

The fact that politicians still use roads, bridges, power, water supply as achivements shows clearly they are not doing much.(the ones in the 70's and 80's promised exactly the same stuffs)

A good example of a sector that has been transfromed is the TELECOMs SECTOR. GSM revolution is there for everyone to see. No hater can deny that.

When POWER SECTOR has truly been tranformed,generators will naturaly disappear at thESE small scale businesses: barbers, welders, carpenters, business centers, etc. The fact that all these samll scale businesses rely on generators majorly across the country shows we stiLl have a very long way to go.

3 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Joeadamu86: 10:08am On Feb 05, 2013
The problem of power in Nigeria is not a new thing,you don't expect a problem that has been there for years to be solve in a day.Meanwhile, the yardstick with which Amapour compared our power with the Super bowl is very wrong considering the improvement of power supply in some many places.Agreed the there are some areas that are experiencing power problems but we must admit that there is improvement,it baffles me when some Nigerians don't see anything good about their country is so sad,that programme was a big joke...as for me Naija for life.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by ypzilanti: 10:08am On Feb 05, 2013
ehie: The girl in the first pic is stunning oh!

Hot chick. But you are a woman, na.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

APC Governors Plot To Oust Oshiomhole Before 2023 Primaries / Iwolo Police Division Attack: Ugwuanyi Visits Scene, Condoles Officers' Families / Osinbajo, Atiku, Governors, Family, Celebrate Pa Okowa’s Legacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.