Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage (19813 Views)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Christiane Amanpour Interviews Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by PEREP: 12:12pm On Feb 05, 2013
GARRI (x7):
Bwahahaha!!!

Yet some eediiots on NL run about from thread to thread like demon-possessed drunkards lying about how they now have light 36 hours every day...

Such ones are evil their lies have a terrible stench which surpasses that of a mixture of decaying corpse and freshly discharged fecal matter. Such ones are collective children of darkness, sons of disobedience, advocates of deceit and self-aggrandisement. For such vessels which are already marked for decimation, the judgement of the lord shall come very swiftly!!

Hon. Garri (x7)
Over 18 million people live in Lagos and a journalist interviewed less than 15 Lagosisans with about 500 tweets and Facebook messages, what percentage is that?
As for me, I have seen improvement in my area and it is undisputable.
Moreover, GEJ NEVER said light is stable in Nigeria but that it has improved and Government is committed to further improvements before the end of the year.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
No be small thing today oh!!!!!
Armanpour versus JONATHAN
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Yaya6: 12:14pm On Feb 05, 2013
JONATHAN: We are not quite where we should be, and of course you know the power infrastructure is
one investment that you must complete the (inaudible) before the ball collides. You must generate, you
must transmit, you must (inaudible), and even if you have the money and the political will to do so, you
cannot do it overnight. And we are working very hard and I promise you that, before the end of this
year how I will be reasonably stable in Nigeria. This is something that has been a problem for years, for
years. So, you cannot correct it overnight. It takes time, even if you have the money.

The fact here is that Nigerians except so much to happen in seconds...personally i must commend GEJ efforts towards resuscitating the power sector of the country. it is definite that the improvement cannot be at once rather a gradual process which might take a while to achieve. We should all know that Rome was not built in a day, so we should not expect an overnight turnaround in the sector. GEJ should be allowed to work and Nigerian should learn ignore external influence on our polity.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by CohenJane: 12:21pm On Feb 05, 2013
jmaine: never knew sampling an extremely negligible niche is requisite enough to arrive at a conclusive inference cheesy . . . .

Lolz . . . .The rabid anti GEJ crew need to always do better than erupt in needless and fault rigged glee. . . .

Kids on the prowl embarassed . . . .

what about if this "extremely negligible niche" had confirm you hypothesis that 'there is improvement in the light situation in Nigeria', what would you have said
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Oxone(m): 12:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
What some people don't get is that there are Places that has been enjoying Premium power supply from the same NEPA/PHCN long before Yaradua came into power due to the caliber of people residing there. They are given preference by NEPA/PHCN due to one reason or the other to the detriment of the Average Joe. they also enjoy quality & prompt maintenance service cos of the amount of money they can shell out n bribes or otherwise. places like Asokoro, Maitama & even wuse 2 in ABJ enjoy more power supply than most places in Nigeria. i was in Asokoro for a week and i could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we experienced power failure which didn't even last for more than 10 mins. so i don't blame the rich for saying power has improved cause it has never been that bad for them.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by KwoiZabo(m): 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
ypzilanti: www.nairaland.com/attachments/976424_nig_jpgfbd82b66978de15cd0977ce420039f36
www.nairaland.com/attachments/976425_nig2_jpgfa3390c3bc85d0e8c05be99b518ae97a
www.nairaland.com/attachments/976426_nig3_jpg0c65ad29b8ce874072fd3846fbec47ff
www.nairaland.com/attachments/976427_nig4_jpgb5a925c88f3a6be88fbc381bdbffe61f

Christine Amanpour slammed GEJ claims that power supply has increased in Nigeria. The Amanpour show today featured tweets from disgruntled Nigerians complaining about the light situation. Most of the tweets were jokes about the power failure at the USA Super Bowl, yesterday. The Nigerians who sent the tweets compared the power failure at the Super Bowl to NEPA's penchant for taking light in Nigeria. The show also focused on mangled electric lines in Lagos State, and featured the purring generators that constitute noise pollution in Nigeria. Finally, Nigerians were interviewed on the streets of Lagos, and they all gave the government a thumbs down on the light issue.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size]

It was an expertly executed journalistic response from Amanpour. She first started with a clip of GEJ claiming to be performing wonders in the power sector, then followed up with the hostile tweets of Nigerians who claimed otherwise. After that was the damning verdict of ordinary Nigerians on the streets...taking up GEJ's challenge that she ask Nigerians on the streets about his power reforms.

My conclusion: With social media, the world is a small place now. The blatant lies of government cannot withstand the scrutiny of professional western media.Our media in Nigeria is giving politicians a free ride.

watch the video: http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/04/what-nigeria-and-the-super-bowl-have-in-common/
Nigerians verdict is thet the government is performing
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by omenka(m): 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.
Shatap there!! U and ur paymasters should be thankful for her modesty. Had she interviewed more pple, the virdict wldave been more damning! Besides, was it not the Dumbotard himself that sed Amanpour shld rather 'meet ANY ORDINARY Nigerian in the streets of Lagos or Abuja to find out the truth about the power situation'? Now she has and u guys want her to interview every man, woman and living creature to get a fair virdict. Smh. The most anoying part of that interview is when the Dumbotard asked that the US inteligeance agencies should 'FIlTER THE TRUTH'!!! What manner of retarrd is dis guy??
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by inspbado(m): 12:38pm On Feb 05, 2013
“I promise you before the end of this year, power outages will be reasonably stable in Nigeria.” can u imagine our president was quoted as saying this in the anmanpour interview!!! Smh for GEJ. How the heck can our president say "power OUTAGES will be reasonably STABLE in Nigeria". I seriously question that man's PhD. The way he expresses himself,he's no better than a bus conduct when communicating.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by abolyem(m): 12:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
see the way u talk? bird of the same feather fluck together. Can you pray that your life be ran the way GEJ is running nigeria?
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by vislabraye(m): 12:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
Funny thing is that some Nigerians still said that power had improved.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by vislabraye(m): 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
abolyem: see the way u talk? bird of the same feather fluck together. Can you pray that your life be ran the way GEJ is running nigeria?

GEJ has been of the hot seat more than any president. OBJ didn't go through so much humiliation or criticism.
But his govt has not done any thing significant.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Saintp(m): 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: You are terribly, terribly terribly WRONG; just cud not overlook dis... I SUPPORT GEJ cos I bliv in his programmes, and frankly also cos of d UNREASONABLE virulent criticism (really, Hostility) of a few of his critics basd entirely on hatred and/or political/ethnic sentiments. I realise though that MOST of d peeps who criticize the govt and GEJ do so cos they really want d best for themselves and Nigeria esp afta bn lied to for a very long time and cos sm of dem rili bliv for good reasons that if they begin to praise GEJ's govt now, he may not perform again- I honestly undastad that and in fact support it. I love d way MOST of us, esp d Youths, are now more ENGAGE- which is what I personali always wantd. However, there are dis tiny set of people whose aim for virulent, completely unhelpful criticism is fuelld primarily by d quest to acquire POWER and a strong sense of HATE towards d PERSON of d President and they wud stop at nothing to get at him including employing PROPAGANDA; if you followd me here on NL, those are d persons I 'detest' and tackle wit little patience and I mk no Apologies about that. I criticize d govt at times, though not as much as I wud like to Or as I hv always done to previous govt, cos of these twigs; I howeva completely support constructive criticisms and d esp new ENGAGEMENT by very many youths these days asking questns, as long as they are done FAIRLY and the ONLY PURPOSE IS THE FURTHER PROGRESS OF THE NATION and not sm narrow selfish interest..

Thank you. You made sense unlike ifihearam who was amking a fool of himself when i did not direct the question to him. I notice there are three groups of people on this site when we talk of the president.
1. People who dont like the president and will never appreciate him or whatever he does even if he does any good thing that worths commendation.They are they die-hard anti- GEJ
2. People who are blind follwers of the president. The will support and defend him even if he commits genocide. Everything is good with the president.Anybody who says otherwise is a fool.They are they die hard pro- GEJ
3. People who remove sentiments in thier analysis. The bash the president when they feel he goofed and they applaud him when he makes the right move. They are not pro or anti GEJ. All they want is good governance.

But unfortunately , there are few people in group 3 on this site. TOO BAD
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
taharqa: Just watched the programme Now and am DISGUSTED at the extremely 'bad Journalism' that she put together in that short clip.

She gathered just 3 persons in Lagos and asked them to say something about their power supply, and all of them said that power had not increased and that they had not had light for 3 weeks!!! Those are the views of an average Nigerian, right? *smh*.

I stay in Benin and Power has improved on my end for many many months now except for some few times when there are National issues, like last Friday till Wednesday this week when we had a terrible supply probably cos of the new Benin-Onitsha Transmission Line repairs. THIS IS FACT.

Amanpour just behaved as badly as that other CNN presenter (the Kenya Guy- I have forgotten his name) who presented an extremely wrong programme on the Niger Delta crisis some years ago, and just like this programme also gathered FAKE persons to conduct his interviews. Nigeria protested, He was SACKED and that ended his International career. She ought to know better.
guy, power supply has not increased in Nija. Just don't try to defend a lier. Stay on your lane.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by juman(m): 12:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by kutchs: 1:02pm On Feb 05, 2013
abolyem: see the way u talk? bird of the same feather fluck together. Can you pray that your life be ran the way GEJ is running nigeria?
If ur life has been messed up (as I assume it is) by ur parents, siblings and peers who had care over you previously you dont expect it to be turned around in a yr or two by ur wife who recently entered ur home and life.
She needs time and patience to fix u up and the little gains made while the work in ongoing must be appreciated.
I neva heard GEJ anywhere or anytime say he was going to fix Nigeria in 2 yrs he neva said the soln we all seek will be found overnight, he did admit that fixing up Nigeria will be a gradual process. So pretending otherwise is folly of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by baysun2000: 1:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
I also watched the short clip and was totally sad with the whole story. Truly we have power problems but truly there has been an improvement (great one) in the country, especially at Ogun state where I stay.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by 2goodbobo(m): 1:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan has forgotten that the world is now a global village where by no matter how hard his government tries to hide under the canopy of lies, there is a world microscope that uncovers every single lies been told.

Globalization has some good advantages, and one of them is the media and social media. I believe Mr president was thinking CNN so daft that they won't go for background check? See how his Citizens have contradicted the lies he told about the state of power in the Nation.

My sadness in all of these is that, instead of the government to retrace it steps, they will want to find a way of doing damage control via its PR. Hence try to paint to CNN that what the citizens are lamenting about is not true and in the light of this, they will end up making mockery of them selves because CNN knows who is saying the truth and who is not.

I just wish the so called Cabal in the power sector who have rendered our economy backward due to shortage or ineffective power supply, can be ousted. Any time I think about the gigantic amount of money been budgeted for Power, tears run down my chicks because the monies are nothing but colossal lost to the Nation. Instead of it been used accordingly, is been diverted to the bank account of some corrupt politicians.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Demdem(m): 1:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
Saintp:

3. People who remove sentiments in thier analysis. The bash the president when they feel he goofed and they applaud him when he makes the right move. They are not pro or anti GEJ. All they want is good governance.

But unfortunately , there are few people in group 3 on this site. TOO BAD

The truth is many are in this group. All we want is good and responsive governance and thats all and not excuses upon excuses as if he never knew the challenges the seat carries before he made himself available for the job.
His many goofs also overshadows his right moves which to me are negligible and that explains the numerous criticisms. besides he has proven himself so far to be part of the status quo as regards corruption which is among our primary challenges as a nation. Nigerians of today cant be compared to yesterday. we are much more exposed and enlightened. Gone are the days of praying for thieving politicians, the era of stoning them has commenced. Retardeen should simply wake up.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by chreldb(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
ypzilanti:

Exactly! I think GEJs best hope at improving anything in Nigeria is the power sector. The privatization process is ongoing and we are watching.

Unfortunately GEJs speaking skills is not advanced enough to properly frame the issue to Amanpour. His handlers should please coach the man on how to argue using figures. Example: Prior to my election, we had so so number of power plants operating at so so level. Since then we have added so so number of plants and generated additional so so megawatts of power.

That is how the leaders of major countries speak...they always have the figures ready showing that they follow progress reports daily. Even in Nigeria we have some governors that do that too. If I call Fashola now, they will call me opposition...but even the performing PDP governors such as Duke (during his time) and Akpabio always have the figures ready at interviews

You are so onpoint @ bolded. GEJ is not presidential material. Sorry to say
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by jmaine: 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
CohenJane:

what about if this "extremely negligible niche" had confirm you hypothesis that 'there is improvement in the light situation in Nigeria', what would you have said

Won't still suffice as a verifiable conclusion . . . .If anyone should bring that fact out . . .It stands valid in the face of proof . . .
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by solelymade: 1:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
In as much i don't believe in Mr jonathan and his cabinet: i must confess d supply of power as improve tremendously in my area say 22/24 hrs a day. However, dat won't make me vote him in 2015 even if there isn't any credible opposition i will prefer not 2 vote.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Orikinla(m): 1:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
GEJ thought by appearing like Baba Suwe on CNN and lying through his teeth would make the international community take him important other than the circus clown he is. Another shaming of these useless men of today.

By the way, is sincerefool on vacation? The marked person should come up with another bogus claims. . .Like Buhari bribed CNN and what not.

You are wicked! grin
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Orikinla(m): 1:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
The only thing I liked about it is this chikito. She looks so forking sexy.
Look those lips.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by lekantruth: 1:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
I don't know of other areas in Akure or Nigeria, but I will tell you sincerely that light is a mirage here where I live. I got my accommodation in an estate very close to ALAGBAKA, the seat of Ondo state Government, but between me and you I can count the number of times we had light in a month for the past one year (probably 12 hours/month at most). The question is why can't we all enjoy the small improvement in the light supply as claimed by some people or is it a privilege to be enjoyed by only some few areas?

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Samxiulee: 2:03pm On Feb 05, 2013
The Americans had their biggest sport festival cum party,they had a partial power failure in their stadium,instead of them to cover their head in shame and admit no machine is perfect,they are using our situation to praise themselves,smh.
The truth is that power has improve mostly in the cities,I have my issues with GEJ,but when we don't acknowledged improvement in a sector how do we expect them to do anything,CNN got it all wrong,gone are the days when I can't have power for months,this days its like 20hrs a day,and you dnt Want me to call that improvement after decades of darkness?na wa for una ooooo.

2 Likes

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Hardfact: 2:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
Whatever may be the case, I personally am aware power situation has greatly improved, and the president seem to be trying to make some impact in that area albeit yet unimpressive. Sometimes, for eg, I experience almost 2days uniterrupted power supply.
Having listened to those responses from the street, it looks like just one side of the story. The power problems many experience are more/less localized and usually a creation of corrupt and wicked PHCN staff who know nothing but exploit the docile masses. Hopefully, healthy aggresive criticisms might push the weak presidency into producing better results in this area which they seem to have interest.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by OmoEziokwu: 2:24pm On Feb 05, 2013

Ought to know what? Oh yeah you are one of the children of darkness, sons of disobedience and advocates of deceit GARRI (x7) talks about.
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
lekantruth: I don't know of other areas in Akure or Nigeria, but I will tell you sincerely that light is a mirage here where I live. I got my accommodation in an estate very close to ALAGBAKA, the seat of Ondo state Government, but between me and you I can count the number of times we had light in a month for the past one year (probably 12 hours/month at most). The question is why can't we all enjoy the small improvement in the light supply as claimed by some people or is it a privilege to be enjoyed by only some few areas?
I think what happened is that the cities were prioritized, so, I bliv if this improvement continue, it will get to akure too.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by Dibiachukwu: 2:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
adconline:

What a display of idiocy?! Always blaming foreigners but Nigerians
Stay there and die of your stupidity. Those foreigners are your friends ke. Go and check their activities in the country. Continue to slumber till they come for your head. conspiracy with corrupt, no good politicians; by foreign media/government is enough to red flag that media/government. This is for any intelligent citizen of any human country. Their is no place for a foreign biased media, in any civilized nation.

1 Like

Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by OmoEziokwu: 2:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
oddy4real:
he is as dumb as your father grin grin grin

Very very uncultured.

GARRI (x7):
Bwahahaha!!!

Yet some eediiots on NL run about from thread to thread like demon-possessed drunkards lying about how they now have light 36 hours every day...

Such ones are evil their lies have a terrible stench which surpasses that of a mixture of decaying corpse and freshly discharged fecal matter. Such ones are collective children of darkness, sons of disobedience, advocates of deceit and self-aggrandisement. For such vessels which are already marked for decimation, the judgement of the lord shall come very swiftly!!

Hon. Garri (x7)

bibiking1: Of course in no time, Recluse O'mockery would label Amanpour a misguided half-sister!

Rhino.5dm:
GEJ thought by appearing like Baba Suwe on CNN and lying through his teeth would make the international community take him important other than the circus clown he is. Another shaming of these useless men of today.

By the way, is sincerefool on vacation? The marked person should come up with another bogus claims. . .Like Buhari bribed CNN and what not.

Eko Ile: I don't know why the useless I.diot lied to the world when the same world is not oblivious about the pathetic power situation in Nigeria.

Many around the world think we are crooked, corrupt and liars, but this dullard picked the most popular media platform in the world to confirm...

Smh...

Bless your souls!
Re: Amanpour Interviews Nigerians In Lagos About Power Outage by heavylaro: 2:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
If we are sincere to ourselves,we would know that the electricity situation has indeed improved generally in the country compared to the previous years and administration.Decades of power failure is not expected to overturn miraculously in 2 or 3 yrs.USA is over 200 yrs old and yet shamelessly they are still experiencing power outtage!we don't need Amanpour or America to come and invest in Nigeria...China is enough for us!!!PERIOD

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

RE-IPOB Names Jonathan Kurubo As Leader, Lists Soyinka, Gana For Talks With FG / APC Governors Plot To Oust Oshiomhole Before 2023 Primaries / Uzodinma Hosts Orji Kalu after Constitution Review Public Hearing In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.