Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (454599 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by Elando(f): 7:13pm On Jul 23, 2008
thank you kaycee. al check out the CIC website. do you have the address for the closest cic office to naija? also, do u know how much the application fee is? at least this forum has saved pple like me from loosing $409.
thanx nairaland!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 7:55pm On Jul 23, 2008
Elando:

thank you kaycee. al check out the CIC website. do you have the address for the closest cic office to naija? also, do u know how much the application fee is? at least this forum has saved people like me from loosing $409.
thanx nairaland!
Elando, the application is straightforward and you can do it yourself. You can download the forms at www.cic.gc.ca. Another good forum to visit on Canadian immigration is www.immigration.ca (click on the Canadian forum link). Unfortunately, you'd have to apply to the Canadian Consulate in Accra as they are the ones that handle the Permanent Residency applications in West Africa. Their info can be obtained from http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/accra/
Lastly, one thing you have to keep in mind is the timeline. I hear that it could take up to 3-4yrs or even more in some cases to get throught he application process in Ghana when going through the skilled workers category. Regardless, goodluck!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Elando(f): 10:03pm On Jul 23, 2008
thanx, i nid the gud luck oh! now, if the skilled worker category is going to take so much time, can u suggest a faster way of migrating? as in a faster option.
thanx smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 10:19pm On Jul 23, 2008
dats da only legal way, or do u wanna come as a refugee? embarassed
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 10:33pm On Jul 23, 2008
Elando:

thanx, i nid the good luck oh! now, if the skilled worker category is going to take so much time, can u suggest a faster way of migrating? as in a faster option.
thanx smiley
Marry Debosky. U'd be good in about a yr grin
Re: Travelling To Canada by Ezinwannem: 1:15am On Jul 24, 2008
lol@Delta, I 4get about dat way
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 4:43am On Jul 24, 2008
Hi everyone, igbo, a pretty lady and myself were at the Canadian embassy yesterday and we got different info. Igbo was told his was still being processed. I was however told to go for a medical test at one of two designated hospitals. One in Yaba, the other in VI. I was also asked to come for an interview with police report which I had submitted when making application.they also asked for additional financialevidence.I had submitted my scholarship letter covering over $40, 000, my CSCS statement and share certificates worth over 2 million naira and my personal statement of account of over a million.Glory be to God and tanx to evryone. I would however need advice on the the stuff I was told to submit and on what to expect at the interview. Note that my fees, accomodation and other expenses are not even up to $30000 because the fees are about 13000; accomodation around 5000 and others around 9000. Still have about 15000 left from the over $40K scholarship.please advise.
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbonla(m): 9:13am On Jul 24, 2008
Elando:

thanx, i nid the good luck oh! now, if the skilled worker category is going to take so much time, can u suggest a faster way of migrating? as in a faster option.
thanx smiley

Don't know your field of practice but the Provincial Nomine Program is faster than the skilled worker route. You need to google that for more details.
Expect to spend up to 6 years if you go the skilled worker way!

aydewale:

Hi everyone, igbo, a pretty lady and myself were at the Canadian embassy yesterday and we got different info. Igbo was told his was still being processed. I was however told to go for a medical test at one of two designated hospitals. One in Yaba, the other in VI. I was also asked to come for an interview with police report which I had submitted when making application.they also asked for additional financialevidence.I had submitted my scholarship letter covering over $40, 000, my CSCS statement and share certificates worth over 2 million naira and my personal statement of account of over a million.Glory be to God and thanks to evryone. I would however need advice on the the stuff I was told to submit and on what to expect at the interview. Note that my fees, accomodation and other expenses are not even up to $30000 because the fees are about 13000; accomodation around 5000 and others around 9000. Still have about 15000 left from the over $40K scholarship.please advise.

God's Name be praised! Now we can calm down; I think you will agree that the Canadians were just being thorough.

All the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 9:54am On Jul 24, 2008
@ Adewale

Yes oohh.
Re: Travelling To Canada by marydre: 10:09am On Jul 24, 2008
@aydewale congrats, at least your mind will be at rest now. Prepare very well for your interview. All the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 1:18pm On Jul 24, 2008
@Igbo, so you are a pretty lady, oya send me your CV sharp sharp grin grin

@AY, all the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 1:50pm On Jul 24, 2008
@ delta 007

eh eh. dont get so excited now. igbogolo is a 6.4 foot tall hunky man!!
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:02pm On Jul 24, 2008
igbogolo:

@ delta 007

eh eh. don't get so excited now. igbogolo is a 6.4 foot tall hunky man!!
Ahhh I reject you in Jesus Name  grin or better still, you can give your CV to AY so that u folks can travel and settle together. It seems he admires u.

See what he posted. . .
aydewale:

Hi everyone, igbo, a pretty lady and myself were at the Canadian embassy yesterday and we got different info.
Re: Travelling To Canada by megastu(m): 3:01pm On Jul 24, 2008
Adyewale,

Congrats, u will calm down now. One advice i have for you; Be calm during the interview, dont be arrogant ( we lawyers are known as arrogant people, and i have seen from your tone particularly that you are somewhat arrogant)so forget all that during the interview, no matter the temptation during the interview, let all your answers be geared towards, when you come back home, this is what and what you plan to become in Nigeria. This is very important.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 5:40pm On Jul 24, 2008
Tanx Mega, I would take your observations into consideration, be rest assured that am not arrogant just a very honest person, wish you knew me!! @ delta et al: I said Igbo, a pretty lady blah! Blah! Blah! sorry those are two different people. Igbo and then another lady.

@Igbo: It was really nice meeting you, will keep in touch and the other lady, nice meeting you, God bless you. However, no one answered my questions with regard to " I was also asked to come for an interview with police report which I had submitted when making application.they also asked for additional financialevidence.I had submitted my scholarship letter covering over $40, 000, my CSCS statement and share certificates worth over 2 million naira and my personal statement of account of over a million".[i][/i]. This is my concern because I had submitted all these the originals of the above requested documents earlier. Hope am not sounding arrogant o!?

Tanx, God bless.
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 5:44pm On Jul 24, 2008
Tanx Mega, would take your advice into consideration, God bless you. however, be rest assured that am not arrogant just a very honest person, wish you knew me!! @ delta et al: I said Igbo, a pretty lady blah! Blah! Blah! sorry those are two different people. Igbo and then another lady.

@Igbo: It was really nice meeting you, will keep in touch and the other lady, nice meeting you, God bless you. However, no one answered my questions with regard to " I was also asked to come for an interview with police report which I had submitted when making application.they also asked for additional financialevidence.I had submitted my scholarship letter covering over $40, 000, my CSCS statement and share certificates worth over 2 million naira and my personal statement of account of over a million".[i][/i]. This is my concern because I had submitted all these the originals of the above requested documents earlier. Hope am not sounding arrogant o!?

Tanx, God bless.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tobyyork(m): 5:45pm On Jul 24, 2008
Hello,
i need more information on Canada work skill

Thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 6:52pm On Jul 24, 2008
@ Adewale

It was great meeting you too. was with my 'lollipop''. so delta 007 back off her. u wont be getting any cv okay!!!!

Its funny the embassy still asks for more financial documents after the scholarship letter states everything. u might have to inflate ur account by a few thousands. like 800kfor example. then tell them u took a loan from the office or something sha.
I think thy are more comfortable with the liquid cash in ur account more than the shares. it means the money is more accessible than shares.
i think u should give them more liquid funds. thats my opinion sha,
Re: Travelling To Canada by yomex4ever: 7:22pm On Jul 24, 2008
aydewale, u have to add more cash to your bank account. Does your scholarship cover your travel expenses, rent and other miscellaneous expenses? You have to be able to prove that you can sustain yourself. I think the cost of living in Alberta is a bit higher than other provinces. Like igbogolo said, you need to show them you have liquid cash in your account.
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 7:47pm On Jul 24, 2008
Yeah! Tanx everyone.Igbo, u ve got a pretty babe. Am sure urs wd come out better than mine in Jesus Name. I appreciate all the advice. What do u think about this: in the firm where I work, people get huge bonuses, can I get a letter signed by one of the partners stating that I would be getting my study bonus end of August shorly before I travel and I go with a notarized copy of my last bonus cheque + the firm's statement of account. I got over a million last December as bonus and I made a photocopy of the cheque. Additionally, I have an official breakdown of the fees and my scholarship covers everything. Maybe I would hold that too.
What do you guys think. Also if I get say 1m from a friend, would it reflect in my account as the interview is next week wednesday or so when the month wouldn't ve ended. Yes! The letter stated shares, bank accounts etc. Would appreciate ur thots and note that I appreciate ur views. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 8:32pm On Jul 24, 2008
@ adewale

u may just unject funds into your account then go with additional documents from the office. but u need to increase the liquid cash at your disposal. maybe if u can make the money 1.8million or 2 million, that will be ok. u can just borrow the cash and pay it in in medium instalments.
yes, if u transfer cash into ur account, it will reflect by wed next week when u go for interview. so u have to start putting the money asap.

my opinion sha,
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 8:48pm On Jul 24, 2008
@ adewale

Congrats! Now you see my advice paid off eventually wink

I would suggest re-submitting the same financial documents again, only re-certified as up to date - i believe they simply want to verify that the amounts you claimed to have are still in your possession, along with updated CSCS statements. If you go and inflate your account, it may appear suspicious if your income could not have led to that sudden spike in your account. The letter indicating that you would be receiving a bonus soon with the photocopy of the last cheque would be more reasonable.

They will contact your bank directly to verify your account details, the 'letter' or whatever you submit is not very important, they will fax the statements to the bank to see if they are valid.

Just out of curiosity, on what basis were you awarded this scholarship?

Let me tell you now, realistically, you will definitely spend more than $5000 for accommodation for a year in Calgary, unless you get cheap campus housing, which in itself will cost at a minimum $6000. Housing is quite expensive in Calgary so I would budget closer to $10,000 for that. How long is your program? Is your scholarship 40k per year or for the entire duration of your course?

Take along the official breakdown you have as well. Take enough with you such that you will be able to show that you have ADEQUATELY considered possible expenses and have a plan to cover them fully.

Resubmit the documents you had earlier along with the bonus letter. If it were possible, I would say get an amount in your account sufficient to cover all your fees even without the scholarship, but that may look suspicious at this stage. A reasonable increase in your account will do, along with all the other financial documents re-submitted (current statements)

Wish you the best

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by igbogolo: 9:25pm On Jul 24, 2008
@ adewale
they would have paid salaries by the time u go right?
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 10:52pm On Jul 24, 2008
U guys are simply wonderful with your sublime advise and superb insight. I am takin down notes and would do everything legimately possible to be prepared. All would be set by Tomorrow/ Monday morning.

I shall give you good news in Jesus name. With my salary and a little from here and there, I should get at least another 500k. I would also buy a few more shares since prices are low, by tomorrow and get the print out and letter from my brokers and bank 2gether with letter and employer's letter and account statement.
Re: Travelling To Canada by megastu(m): 10:25am On Jul 25, 2008
adywale, you are a really sharp guy. No doubt, u will get it my brother, trust me. Pls send me your e-mail address.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by home1986: 3:18pm On Jul 28, 2008
wats takin their time to respond to us?i applied on 2nd of june and recievd my package on 20th of june wit a deficiency sheet statin why my aplication has not been procesd and wat they tick dat was delayin was my visa fee which was 15 thousand instead of 14thousand, i was told to corect d mistake and send my package bak to them if wud stil want to continue wit my aplication and i did adjust it and send it bak and avnt hear frm dem.wat do i do pls
Re: Travelling To Canada by debosky(m): 3:26pm On Jul 28, 2008
@ home1986

GO TO THE EMBASSY! aydewale did the same thing and got a response from them. You have about a month now before school starts in Canada, I'd suggest that you waste no time and go to the embassy immediately. You can't tell if they corrected the initial flaws in their files or not, or whether something else is holding back your application.

Sitting at home and waiting for the answer to come is not prudent in my opinion, given how much you have spent and devoted to get this process to this stage.

Go to the embassy with all the information you have, show them the document that highlighted the deficiencies in your application and how you corrected them. Wish you the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada by chijewel(f): 6:22pm On Jul 28, 2008
hi everyone

i hv really learnt a lot from this thread. can anyone let me know how much he visa appliaion fee is and where to ge the police clearance from.

thanks in advance
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 1:21pm On Jul 29, 2008
chi-jewel:

hi everyone

i hv really learnt a lot from this thread. can anyone let me know how much he visa appliaion fee is and where to ge the police clearance from.

thanks in advance

See http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/Nigeria/visa_intro-en.asp for the current fees.

I believe you can still obtain a police clearance from CID HQ in Alagbon.
Re: Travelling To Canada by damico: 3:04pm On Jul 30, 2008
good day to you all well please can anyone tell me tell me what i can do about my VISA STATUS PLEASE NIRALAND AM HAVING PROBLEM ABOUT MY APPLY FOR VISA WHEN I WANTED TO CHECK MY VISA STATUS THEY TOLD ME THAT MY VISA STATUS IS Decision Pending I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS PLEASE ANYONE TO REACH ME BACK AND TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO, AM NEW TO TRAVEL AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN BY Decision Pending I APPLY FOR APPEAL VISA, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THEY MEAN ABOUT THIS AM A LITTLE BIT AFFIAD ABOUT IT
Re: Travelling To Canada by aydewale: 5:49pm On Jul 30, 2008
Dear All,

I went for my interview today and the interviewer looked like a Nigerian sounded a bit Nigerian, a bit Janded but had a French accent  even though she was speaking English. Was a young female, no more than 28-29, in my estimation.

My interview went like this:

Interviewer: We asked you to bring additional documents where are they?

Me: Here they are maam!

Interviewer: There is no much difference in your account why? (Remeber I was supposed to get more money but I could not)

Me: Well I felt I should be honest and come along with what I had in my account.  My employers confirm that they would continue to pay my salary while am away. (I had prepared a letter from the office, signed by a partner that the company would continue to pay me salary while I am on leave, salary is in the range of $ 2, 000 a month).

Interviewer: I am not convinced. Why did you not submit this letter when you applied initially? I am not convince you have any financial capability and am not sure you are prepared to go to CVanada!

Me: The letters are not an afterthought, I only applied for leave formerly after I was called for an interview, as I did not think it was discreet to apply for a study leave when I was not sure if I even stood the chance of getting my visa. It may in my view amount to apprbaing and reprobating if I didnt get it.

Interviewer: I am not satisfied but your documents are authentic and you have a very good academic pedigree so I may grant you, but I need you to convince me you have funds, beyond your scholarship fund which is quite high but I still think you should have at least another $10-12k.

Me: I brought out the official breakdown of my fees, estimated living cost for a year. My scholarship covers it with so much extra.

Interviewer: What happens if you exceed one year, you can't survive on that amount. Your school says you have a maximum of three years to complete your study.

Me: I can finish in one year its just an LL.M

Interviewer: When I first looked at your application, I was impressed with your academic and professional records but am still not convinced with your finances.

Me:Well I also have shares!

Interviewer: Let me have evidence!

Me: Can I make a call out there?

Interviewer: yes! maximum of 30 minutes.

Me: Called my ever supportive fiancee and she got to my brokers whose offices are close to hers on the island and brought the CSCS.

Me: showed the CSCS statement print out.

Interviewer: (goes to get a Guardian Newspaper). Well I would give you your visa, your shares are worth more than a million.

Interviewer: You say you are a xtian what church do u attend?

Me: Daystar

Interviewer: can I study law,

Me: y not?,

Interviewer: you lawyers are sweet mouthed (Can't remeber exact use of words).

Me: Thank you.

Interviewer: please drop your passport.

GLORY BE TO GOD ALMIGHTY. I almost missed out. It was the Lord's doing,

I was not asked a single question on law on why I wanted to go to Canada. All she wanted was for me to convince her about my finances that she was generally satisfied with my application apart from the finances and she believes that lack of sufficient finances was a good reason for denial. 

I DID NOT INFLATE MY ACCOUNT. I think that also helped me because she might ve asked questions I could not answer,

Thank God and a BIG thank you to all Nairalanders, Igb, I know urs is on the way by God's grace, Delta, Ezin, Debosky, Mega and so on. God bless you all.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 7:16pm On Jul 30, 2008
AY, congrats. Please pad up your account before u cross the pond cos I'm the treasurer and I'd be collecting the relocation taxes upfront otherwise, na MMIA straight.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (189)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.