Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. - Religion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. (22715 Views)

How Long Does The Salvation Of The Soul Take? / Inesqor On The Salvation Of The Non-christian / For The Salvation Of Your Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 6:49am On Feb 10, 2013
ezicat: And after this, I'll be ignoring you henceforth Slave because you are like a child with an itch...

How does one argue that the earth is NOT flat when the person they are arguing with keeps pointing to the drop in the horizon? They can throw all the evidence in the world at them and all their focus will be on the horizon, nothing else. You're saying atheists need to have proof i.e. "better excuses" before they can challenge believers. I'm saying that they can choose to believe in something with a little bit more evidence than Creation (which has NONE at all) without having all of the answers. For example, there is evidence of mutations - they can be created in the lab.

Right - the Bible doesn't say anything along the lines of..."Therefore do not be anxious, saying, `What shall we eat?' or `What shall we drink?' or `What shall we wear?' 32 For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well." I guess it applies to the individual and not the entire society. I guess that kind of thinking is beyond the realm of traditional Christianity.

No, that's YOUR argument. And deary - I'm not simple minded, like you. MY argument goes like this: when Nigerians are faced with endemic societal issue or problem, their only recourse is prayer. When they are faced with corrupt leaders, they only pray about it; When they have to get in that plane knowing the horrid safety standards, they only pray about it; when they get on those poor roads with robbers and kidnappers and potholes that can swallow you whole, they only pray about it. Did I not say Nigeria's VERSION of religion? Did I not give the example of other societies who have been able meld religion and initiative? Am I not advocating melding the two - yes, pray, but if you want results DO as well.

You problem, Slave, is that you believe that the black man is inferior, and something given to him by the benevolent white super beings couldn't possible be harmful to his pysche. Well it is - unless we start making it work for us.

Now goodbye and good riddance. You are dead to me!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Having realized you firmly stuck your foot in your mouth you're back to the tried and tested fig leaf - christian bashing? Opari!

Hey bro... is the US total GDP still $14bn? shocked cheesy cheesy We get that a month in tax cuts to the rich alone! shocked shocked

Cant even define GDP per capita and he is typing long long tomes... these are the same morons who come here bleating about how being an atheist makes them "critical thinkers"! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Ezicat, you fall my hand oh chai! Ordinary google you cannot read... the total GDP of a whole Canada is $2bn? shocked cheesy

On a more serious note, lay of the idiotic long tomes, obviously you not an intelligent person by any means... you simple hate religion. Sit at the back and let your more learned colleagues post here. this is not a section for people who didnt pass WAEC. See the dude who cant even define GDP talking about mutations... they just drop big big grammar trying to impress us that they know anything... expose their dearth of knowledge and they start spraying saliva everywhere like angry little boys. grin Of course why wont you be ignoring me? cheesy
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by ezicat: 6:56am On Feb 10, 2013
Damn it - I'm going back on my word by addressing you - I've corrected the bn to tn. You are so very stoopid!
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 6:57am On Feb 10, 2013
ezicat: Damn it - I'm going back on my word by addressing you - I've corrected the bn to tn. You are so stupid!

huh? Figured out how to define GDP now? shocked grin grin grin

Lets humor you a little... even if you did correct the US total GDP to $14tn, that makes nonsense of your first post because that is a good 2 orders of magnitude more than what the Barbados can muster. The US GDP is way higher than that of Canada because the US produces more goods and services period. Secondly it has nothing to do with population... Canada has far less people than India and yet their total GDP's are virtually the same.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 10, 2013
davidylan:
Ok? So how does the above remove eba from your mouth?
Lol. It's not about the eba in my mouth, its about the conewebs in your skull. I see there's no reasoning with you. You had nothing to offer, your religion has nothing to offer like you've previously noted.
You're officially TJ-certified (TJ - Troll for Jesus). Congrats...

davidylan:
This is an illogical leap based on no evidence at all
Define illogical. Define leap. Define based. Define evidence. Take a look at Nigeria. Read your sentence again.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 7:13am On Feb 10, 2013
musKeeto:
Lol. It's not about the eba in my mouth, its about the conewebs in your skull. I see there's no reasoning with you. You had nothing to offer, your religion has nothing to offer like you've previously noted.
You're officially TJ-certified (TJ - Troll for Jesus). Congrats...

I ask a second time... what has the religious sunday activities of a christian to do with your ability to eat? There is no reasoning with the one who is determined not to see the opposing point. If christianity has nothing to offer then why are you here? surely there are other threads you can be spending your time on?

musKeeto:
Define illogical. Define leap. Define based. Define evidence. Take a look at Nigeria. Read your sentence again.

Daft. Read your own sentence and try to make sense out of it. you said religion didnt make Nigeria backward... well what did and shouldnt that be the first thing to tackle if we are serious about finding our way back from the abyss? Where is your evidence that religion is what is holding us back? Because some choose to say a prayer you do not like?

My friend park well.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 10, 2013
davidylan:
I ask a second time... what has the religious sunday activities of a christian to do with your ability to eat?
And I repeat: we aren't talking about a black man, but the black race. Not an individual, but a group of people. So the right question should be: What does the religious activities and mindset of a majority have to do with the well-being of a society? Indeed, as you've rightly pointed out, there is no reasoning with the one who is determined not to see the opposing point. Though in your case, it's more about being true to your religion rather than any sort of independent thiking, do not engage with the infidels things...

davidylan:
well what did and shouldnt that be the first thing to tackle if we are serious about finding our way back from the abyss? Where is your evidence that religion is what is holding us back? Because some choose to say a prayer you do not like?

My friend park well
Talking about parking, let me use a car analogy.

If a public bus you're on suddenly starts moving backward while climbing a hill, and stepping on the accelerator yields no results whatsoever, what do you do?

a. sit in the bus and wait for it to crash
b. pray to God for a miracle
c. jump out the window and hope for the best.
d. ensure the driver hasn't put the gear on neutral?
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by cheleku(m): 10:02am On Feb 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

Most atheists here are ex-christians.

Dont flatter yourself

sounds like the post of someone who is embittered. That you dumped your christian faith is no reason why we should also follow in your foot steps. You've made your decision, allow us to abide by ours. Can all you atheists leave Christians alone to 'foolishly' worship God.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

Can all you atheists leave Christians alone to 'foolishly' worship God.

But your actions are affecting us as a nation. Religious conflicts, complacency towards the state of affairs in this country, prosperity messages which has led to a lot of vices, eg corruption, theft etc. Need I go on.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by cheleku(m): 10:18am On Feb 10, 2013
Heatblast: Me sef tire, one would expect that people who believe in a ultra rich sky daddy would be richer/ better than those who don't, but its the exact opposite, Aficans believe in a god more than the rest of the world combined(that's just me guessing) yet poverty rules unchallanged. We are always waiting for aid form the godless nations(compared to us) Take Nigeria for example, every friday and sunday, continious disturbance, yet no change. angry sad undecided
You know not much son. I'd recommend you study the book of proverbs. The so called rich godless nations youre referng to were once steeped in christianity. Most of the foundng fathers of those nations were ardent christians. Let me not even talk about the 18th and 19th century scientists that made ground breakng scientific discoveries. These guys were Christians. Yes they were. That you have criminals and megalomaniac as leader in Africa is no fault of christianity or of any other religion for that matter. My bible upholds those moral principles that advance any society. From helping they needy to being selfless and altruistic. From not being covetous to being contempted. Yes, all these are in the bible. So, when atheists whine over christianity a find it a little befudlng. Live and lets live. Simple.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:
My bible upholds those moral principles that advance any society. From helping they needy to being selfless and altruistic. From not being covetous to being contempted. Yes, all these are in the bible. So, when atheists whine over christianity a find it a little befudlng. Live and lets live. Simple.

Show me one christian, just one christian practicing the things you listed above and I will convert to christianity.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by ooman(m): 10:23am On Feb 10, 2013
kmcutez:

But your actions are affecting us as a nation. Religious conflicts, complacency towards the state of affairs in this country, prosperity messages which has led to a lot of vices, eg corruption, theft etc. Need I go on.

I agree
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by cheleku(m): 10:32am On Feb 10, 2013
kmcutez:

Who are the biggest philantropists in this nation? Arent they mostly christians and christian organizations. How many of the religious conflicts have christians instigated? Arent christians often accused of being pacifists. How many hospitals have been builts in this nation by atheists organization of Nig? My point is this, Christianity has done so much for this nation, and I in no way deny that are bad people who disguise themselves as christians. Such people are every where even amongst atheists.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by ooman(m): 10:42am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

Who are the biggest philantropists in this nation? Arent they mostly christians and christian organizations. How many of the religious conflicts have christians instigated? Arent christians often accused of being pacifists. How many hospitals have been builts in this nation by atheists organization of Nig? My point is this, Christianity has done so much for this nation, and I in no way deny that are bad people who disguise themselves as christians. Such people are every where even amongst atheists.

It is not xtianity that has done so much for this country, it is simply people, good in heart but afraid of hell.

If you want to talk about what "Christianity" as a religion has done, then you can talk in terms of the hold xtianity has on people who profess it. Does it stop corruption? nope, then xtianity has done nothing for us.

Dont think that we are out to attack xtians only, it is just that the muslims are damaged beyond repair, therefore, we have left them in the dustbin.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by cheleku(m): 10:42am On Feb 10, 2013
kmcutez:

Show me one christian, just one christian practicing the things you listed above and I will convert to christianity.
Actually there are too many to mention. You see only if you want to see. We shouldnt let our despondency make us lose faith in God.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 10:46am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

Who are the biggest philantropists in this nation? Arent they mostly christians and christian organizations.

Nope, they are too busy buying private jets, building mansions, building private universities to reap more profit etc.

cheleku:
How many of the religious conflicts have christians instigated? Arent christians often accused of being pacifists.

Muslims and christians, same thing, worshipping sky daddy. Have you heard of boko haram. Not even going to touch all the wars christians have fought in the past.

cheleku:
How many hospitals have been builts in this nation by atheists organization of Nig?

Have no idea

cheleku:
My point is this, Christianity has done so much for this nation

Lie from the very pit of hell, if not we will not be in the sorry state of affairs we are in
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by MrKinkey: 10:48am On Feb 10, 2013
davidylan:

what difference does it make?[/color]

The difference is quite simple. An atheist utterly rejects the concept/existence of God. I however accept the theory of first cause but reject its perversion by religion, as is.

[color=#990000]
That is very true. The problem however is that atheists and gnostics like you have consistently used this trick to hide the fact that you really have no alternative explanation to how the first life form appeared outside of the God hypothesis. You cannot mock others for depending on myths when you yourself wrap yourself in the arms of assumptions that have no proof... when your hypocrisy is pointed out to you, you twist yourself into a pretzel telling us how science is an assumption that requires others to prove anyway.[/color]

What is this God hypothesis you keep going on about?
Provide a simple explanation.

As to assumptions without proof - that is the very definition of religion. Science eloquently proves and improves itself everyday, even in your life. Science is an eclectic mix of provable theories ranging from the simple about how your own very body works to the complex abouy how life began.
It makes no requirement of you, if you feel its unproofable but you ignore it at your peril. For example try stepping off a tall/high building and say to yourself that the theory of gravitation is only an assumption...or deny your body oxygen while insisting that science is only assuming the integral role of oxygen in the Process of respiration!!

[color=#990000]
While the above is perfectly true... there is no objective reason why you are not prepared to leave others alone to make the rational choice to hold unto religion. Its not like that choice is a problem to you.[/color]

As i said to Prairie, it is fundamental to respect everyone's right to practice the insanity called religion. But for the growth of out society, the proselytizing of religion by appeal to emotions should not be allowed. Belief or disbelief should be a reasoned personal decision made by every one not something indoctrinated or coerced. (the rationality of holding on to religion is arguable though)

[color=#990000]
Depends on who is doing the "criticism". Lab scientists i have worked with allow robust and objective criticism. Atheists here though are not objective but rather blind followers of a science they CANNOT EXPLAIN! cheesy[/color][color=][color=#990000][/color]

Explaining principles like evolution is not like telling the comical Genesis myth, these scientific theories are far more complex to be described in a few words. That is why i said 'read up'...

The seeming staunch arguments we make is not because we reject criticism but because religion has made absolutely no objective critism that science does not already implicitly accept. Such criticisms include

- Science is grounded on ever-changing assumptions. Yes, and that is its beauty, it refuses to cloak itself in conceited certainty but accepts our relative ignorance while continually improving its evidence-backed, logical, replicable assumptions.

- Science does not respect religion. Yes, it doesn't, nor does it respect any other disingenious human myths. Religion jas offered little to respect. Is it its strong exception to enlightened criticism we should respect? Or its Crazy, genocidal God who's partiality is legendary, pettiness is ridiculous and wickedness unrivalled we should respect?

Religion is a choice. Feel free to ignore it.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by cheleku(m): 10:48am On Feb 10, 2013
ooman:

It is not xtianity that has done so much for this country, it is simply people, good in heart but afraid of hell.

If you want to talk about what "Christianity" as a religion has done, then you can talk in terms of the hold xtianity has on people who profess it. Does it stop corruption? nope, then xtianity has done nothing for us.

Dont think that we are out to attack xtians only, it is just that the muslims are damaged beyond repair, therefore, we have left them in the dustbin.

Yes I attribute this deeds to Christianity. Isn't man an animal with the most selfish of intentions. What religion does is to serve as a moral comapss that guides the deeds and activities of man. Remove religion and other agents of moral enforcement (judiciary and law enforcement agents) and see if the world doesnt relapse into the stone ages.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

Yes I attribute this deeds to Christianity. Isn't man an animal with the most selfish of intentions. What religion does is to serve as a moral comapss that guides the deeds and activities of man. Remove religion and other agents of moral enforcement (judiciary and law enforcement agents) and see if the world doesnt relapse into the stone ages.

Most western countries eg Norway, Sweden etc are atheist nation but they have not relapsed into the stone age. They have the best HDI. Meanwhile african countries who are religious are the ones living in the stone age.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 10:58am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

Most western countries eg Norway, Sweden etc are atheist nation but they have not relapsed into the stone age. They have the best HDI. Meanwhile african countries who are religious are the ones living in the stone age.

Why would you want to remove judiciary and law enforcement. Even stone age people had them. We are talking of religion. Abi your christianity encourages you to play ojoro. And stop the plagiarism
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by cheleku(m): 10:59am On Feb 10, 2013
kmcutez:

Nope, they are too busy buying private jets, building mansions, building private universities to reap more profit etc.

Muslims and christians, same thing, worshipping sky daddy. Have you heard of boko haram. Not even going to touch all the wars christians have fought in the past.

Have no idea

Lie from the very pit of hell, if not we will not be in the sorry state of affairs we are in

I guess you wouldnt have an idea. Actually, the answer is nothng. Just nothng. The so called atheists that constantly chastise christians have done just nothng. If you say christians dont give enough, then put them to shame by giving. Again, you are keen to mention pastors that fly around in private jets, but youre so quick to forget those that are renderng great humanitarian services; those that put railments on the naked, and give scholarships to poor nigerians. Yes, you'd of course forget.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by ooman(m): 11:05am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

On the other hand, Judicial laws was written by roman secularist who thought that the catholic church ruled by the pope were being biased in the medieval period, therefore, you cannot remove judiciary from the secular man. Judiciary is the invention of the atheists.

You said religion serves as a moral compass, but what has it led africa into? death, disease, poverty and most importantly, corruption.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

I guess you wouldnt have an idea. Actually, the answer is nothng. Just nothng. The so called atheists that constantly chastise christians have done just nothng. If you say christians dont give enough, then put them to shame by giving. Again, you are keen to mention pastors that fly around in private jets, but youre so quick to forget those that are renderng great humanitarian services; those that put railments on the naked, and give scholarships to poor nigerians. Yes, you'd of course forget.

Maybe the atheists are practicing the biblical saying "do not let the right hand know what the left is doing", while the christians are busy blowing their trumpets on every little help they render compared to how much they are stealing from the gullible. Tsk tsk
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by ooman(m): 11:08am On Feb 10, 2013
kmcutez:

Maybe the atheists are practicing the biblical saying "do not let the right hand know what the left is doing", while the christians are busy blowing their trumpets on every little help they render compared to how much they are stealing from the gullible. Tsk tsk

i agree
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by cheleku(m): 11:08am On Feb 10, 2013
kmcutez:

Why would you want to remove judiciary and law enforcement. Even stone age people had them. We are talking of religion. Abi your christianity encourages you to play ojoro. And stop the plagiarism

I laugh at your prevarication. Did you just say norway is an atheist nation? Go get your facts right. See, the internet is there for you. Atleast make a little research before you spew out your ignorance.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Kay17: 11:09am On Feb 10, 2013
davidylan:

Most of the theories you hang your hat on are unproven neither do you have the means to prove them... but you believe away anyway.

You didn't define blindness into your faith definition. So you should probably redefine it
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Kay17: 11:12am On Feb 10, 2013
Mr davidlyan pls what do I have to prove as atheist
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by nep2ra(m): 11:17am On Feb 10, 2013
[quote author=all4naija] Can you tell us about the source of everything in your belief?

I'm not ashamed to say I don't know the name of this Source or who this Being is. Every race and society has a name for this Source or pretend to know this Being. That is the problem of religion. It creates dissenting voices. Everybody claims to know about this Being and promotes their literature above the rest. The end result is intolerance, hatred, myopia and every evil you can associate with religion.

Let me also add by saying there is nothing religious about the Creator of Everything. Humans are unnecessarily making a mountain out of a molehill. My desire is to see science accurately prove the existence of a Creator but I fear that may be an exercise in futility.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

I laugh at your prevarication. Did you just say norway is an atheist nation? Go get your facts right. See, the internet is there for you. Atleast make a little research before you spew out your ignorance.

Stop the nitpicking and use your intelligence for once at what I was trying to point out. Most atheist nation are the top dogs while most religious nation are at the bottom of the rung. Get it now.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

Norway is actually a very atheistic antion. It has one of the highest rates of atheism in Europe

http://www.impactlab.net/2006/03/26/the-50-countries-with-the-highest-percentage-of-atheists/
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 10, 2013
cheleku:

What religion does is to serve as a moral comapss that guides the deeds and activities of man.

Remove the fear of hell and see how many christians will be guided by this so moral compass you speak of.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by MrKinkey: 12:41pm On Feb 10, 2013
[/color]
kmcutez:

Why would you want to remove judiciary and law enforcement. Even stone age people had them. We are talking of religion. Abi your christianity encourages you to play ojoro.
[color=#990000]

Kmcutez, as much as i'll love to agree with you, the relationship between development and religion is more nuanced.

1. Religion does not cause or increase development, it is in many ways an hindrance. It is a freeing of the mind and acceptance of responsibility for oneself encouraged by clear-headed reasoning and scientific innovations that do so.

2. Some religions are more of an impedance than others. Of the Abrahamic religions, Judaism is the least impedant at the moment and Islam the most (Islam used to be better some centuries after its founding when it pioneered important innovations, but it has now taken a more fundamentalist, reductive tone). Also within Christianity, Roman Catholicism (and its allied belif systems) is more development impendant than Protestanism (thanks to its Calvinistic leanings). However pentecostalism is a bastard child of that more solid pedigree with its selfish, charlatanish tendencies.

Also a religion-culture mix like that of the Japanese is not much of an impedance as they have honor as an imporrant element of their belief system; hence the concepts of Hara-kiri and kamikaze. Yet, such system has also bred nepotism, cronyism and governmental corruption (not as much as ours though)

3. Many times religion is only a symptom masking the real problems as we see happening in Mal and Northern African nations. And in being a very virulent symptom religion usually inhibits finding a solution.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by nep2ra(m): 12:52pm On Feb 10, 2013
kmcutez:

Remove the fear of hell and see how many christians will be guided by this so moral compass you speak of.

Exactly! How many so-called Christians would worship God if there were no (material) benefits dangled in front of their faces. Our Nigerian Christians claim to worship this Jewish God because of the perceived material gains promised them and not out of love or a moral philosophy. Many of them have the fear of hell embedded in their hearts hence the hypocritical show of piety.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Did Pope Benedict Convert To Islam? / How To Be Sexually Pure / 10 Kinds Of Christians That Put A Smile On God's Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.