Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story (68386 Views)

5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / Fictional Story - Broken By Dharmie Lisa (@dharmielisa) / Road To Fame (A Fictional Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by glowingscenes(f): 7:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww this was so sad and beautiful at the same time!!! sarah, you did well
as for Mr Gbenga!!! na wa fr him oooo...what kind of love is that?!!! has he never sinned or couldnt he just be patient and listen to her side of the story> if God shd begin to count iniquity, who will stand ehn?!!!!
it is well
how i wish you would update a new chapter soon!!! cry
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by princesa(f): 11:23pm On Jun 10, 2013
cry nomore glowingcheesy

@aunty Sarah,
the transition in the scene were abrupt and not in synergy. from the veranda, to Gbenga's car and unto her sofa, then to her room, how she moved to them wasn't clearly stated. unless, she vanished in between
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 6:18am On Jun 11, 2013
Nice writeup. Weldon ma
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by oyestephen(m): 11:08am On Jun 11, 2013
Some people cant just accept the past of their 'fiancees' both male and females. The break up was better than a broken marriage.......but someone get me a whip, gbenga needs to be flogged

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 11, 2013
You can't blame gbenga entirely, (though, am not in support of wat he did 2 promise). But if you had listened 2 his mind, it was written that *he had issues with married men and ladies who fall 4 their lies* if aunty serah can just go back 2 gbenga's past. We might not blame him. Glowingscenes take my handkerchief 2 wipe ur tears.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by AnnNini(f): 2:49pm On Jun 11, 2013
Please update ooooo. Nice story,Promise did the right thing by letting him know her past. I respect her for that.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by onmymind: 7:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
wow!what more can i say...serah,u're a captivating writer.More ink to ur pen
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 11, 2013
@glowingscences... I will try and update soonest *winks*

@princesa... Noted *winks*

@Candis009... Thanks!

@oyestephen... I have bought the cane already. Oya take...

@Damex333... Nice observation *winks*

@AnnNini... I will try and update soonest.

@onmymind... Thanks! I appreciate *hugs*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 12:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
onmymind: wow!what more can i say...serah,u're a captivating writer.More ink to ur pen
TRUTH!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by tundunlola(f): 2:31pm On Jun 13, 2013
Nice story u've here,its breath takin,can't help d tears dat rolled tru ♍Ɣ cheek cry,I'm feeling her pains,though its better to ve a broken relationship dan a broken marriage,better offer ahead,aunty serah,pls keep it up,u're a very gud writer
wink

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 13, 2013
@adebayo201, @tundunlola... I thank God 4 His gift which He deposited in me. I will continually use it 4 His glory. *Hugs*

@All... Next update loading!

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 14, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 19

Gbenga sat at the dining lost in thoughts. He pushed away his plate of half eaten white rice and chicken stew, almost knocking down the glass of water on the table. He didn't sleep a wink the other night. The ache in his heart seemed to intensify with each passing minute. He had thought he had found the woman he could spend the rest of his life with, but, her past had shattered his dreams. Unfortunately, he was back to square one.

What was he going to tell his mum and siblings? They were expecting to see his fiancee.

"God! What kind of problem is this?" He placed both hands on his head.

He wondered how Mr. And Mrs. Daodu felt. Were they angry at him? Was his position at the company stable or would the break-up earn him a sack letter? He folded his hands across his chest. All the years he had been working for them, he had never seen them act partial, even towards family. They were role model Christians who had enviable integrity.

He loved Promise, but, he couldn't live with her past. He admired her for her honestly. It would have been disastrous if he had found out the whole truth about her past after they had gotten married.

He glanced at the wall clock. It was exactly eleven a.m. It was too late for him to prepare to go to church. He wouldn't have been able to concentrate during the Sunday service if he had gone. He might as well drive down to the beach and take a walk, in hope that it would clear his mind.

Gift knocked and walked into her sister's room. Her mum had asked her to stay at home and check up on Promise, while they attend the church service. Her father had informed them during breakfast that Gbenga had called off the wedding. She had sensed that something was up when he left their house on Saturday looking like a zombie. Her sister must be devasted. She felt so sorry for her.

She found her sprawled on the bed in her pyjamas staring at nothing in particular.

"Morning Promise, hope you slept well," she sat at the side of the bed. Her sister remained motionless. Her heart beat quickened. Was she all right? She reached out and placed the back of her palm on her forehead. Her temperature was normal. She sighed with relief.

"Why are you not in church?"

A smile brightened her saddened face. Her sister spoke! That was a good sign.

"I will go to church next week Sunday," she drew closer.

Promise pulled herself to a sitting position and eyed her sister who was clad in a blue tee-shirt and matching blue jeans trouser.

"You were asked to stay at home because of me. I am not a baby. I can take care of myself."

"Fantastic news. Why don't you take a shower, dress up and let's bounce to the beach? I am bored already."

She slumped on the bed with a thud, "I am not going anywhere."

Gift eyed her, "Then you are a baby," she pointed an accusing finger at her.

She threw a pillow at her and she ducked.

"Get out of my room Gift! Leave me alone!"

She threw back the pillow.

"You are the one who needs to leave this room, this house. You need fresh air," she tried to cajole her.

She hissed, "You just want to go to the beach."

"True. You need to go too. You need the fresh air," she laid beside her sister.

"There is fresh air in here," she stuck out her tongue.

"The air at the beach is fresher," she winked at her.

Promise raised an eyebrow, "Hmmm... "

"It is going to be all right."

"I know, but it hurts so much," her eyes smarted with tears.

"I feel you," she felt so sorry for her sister, "Come, let me hug you," she sat up and pulled her up.

"Thanks," her voice trembled.

They both hugged. Promise started to cry. Gift tried to console her but ended up crying too.

Gbenga parked his Prado Jeep at the open space close to Kuramo beach. He paid some boys hanging around a sum to look after his car. They thanked him and promised to watch over it.

He walked down to the beach. The cool moist breeze greeted him. He inhaled it and exhaled, feeling refreshed. A group of young men and women, numbering five, circled him and offered to get him a good seat and whatever he wanted to eat or drink. He declined their offer and took a stroll.

There were not too many people at the beach. Some people stood at the mouth of the ocean while a few daring ones swarm comfortably, despite the fierce waves. He walked past a group of youngsters having a picnic and dancing to the music blasting from one of the speakers of one of the bars.

Most of the bars at the beach were filled with young girls who traded their bodies for money. He pitied the men who patronised them.

He heard a woman screaming. He turned towards the direction of the noise and saw a man chasing her. He caught up with her, lifted her and spinned her round. The coupled made him to remember the love he shared with Promise.

He sighed and went on walking. He had been here with her on a few occasion. He shouldn't have driven to the beach. It brought back memories he was trying not to indulge in. He took a u-turn and headed out.

Gift and Promise found a comfortable spot and sat on the semi-white sand.

"What do you think?" She used her shoulder to nudge her.

"I agree, the air is fresher than the one in my bedroom."

Gift started to laugh and Promise joined her.

Two young men walked up to them and asked if they wanted to buy drinks and roasted fish or chicken. They declined and watched them as they went after another potential customer.

Promise sighted a fair tall figure walking past them and recognition hit her. She sucked in a deep breath and squeezed one of her sister's hand. Gift saw her sister's ghostly expression and followed her gaze. Her brows came together in a frown when she saw Gbenga.

"Talk about the devil."

"We shouldn't have come here."

Gift eyed her, "Kuramo beach is a public place."

"You don't understand," her voice shook.

"Yes, I do. The fact that both of you frequent here often doesn't mean that you have to avoid this place."

She let go of her hand and folded hers.

"You need to replace your memories and build new ones, or else your past will forever hunt you."

She eyed her, "It is easier said than done."

"Regardless... "

"Promise!"

They both turned towards the sound of her name. They saw Gbenga walking towards them.

"He has seen us," she whispered.

"And so what? Do you want to run?"

She took a good look at her younger sister. She hoped she wouldn't start a fight.

"Good afternoon ladies," he greeted them, but his hazel eyes were fixed on Promise's averted face.

Gift and her sister refused to respond.

He couldn't believe that she was here. He knew they would run into each other once in a while, but it had not crossed his mind that it would be so soon.

"Can we help you?"

He glanced at Gift and noticed the way she was staring at him. She must have thought he was the devil himself for calling off the wedding. If only she knew the years of pain and anguish that laced his decision, she might not be quick to judge him.

"I believe you are not dumb. As you can see, you are disrupting our peaceful relaxation."

She gapped at her in surprise. Her sister had a very big mouth and was quick to lash out at whoever crossed her part.

"Gift... " She used her eyes to caution her, but, her sister was past caring.

He decided not to take offence, after all, the young lady was only coming to her sister's aid. Who could blame her?

"Please, can I have a word with you?"

She looked back at him and saw the concern in his eyes.

"Why? Haven't you caused enough harm?" Gift tried to get up, but, her sister held her back.

"Give us a minute," Promise pleaded.

She glared at her and turned to eye him.

"Please."

"As you wish," she got up and walked away.

Gbenga shook his head, "Your sister is something else."

"What do you want?"

He fell on his knees and sat opposite her.

"I need you to hear me out."

"I am listening."

"Thank you. Two years before I graduated from the university, my father started cheating on my mum."

Her shocked gaze met his sad ones.

"Nobody knew, until I saw him at one of the girl's hostel in my school, picking up babes with a few friends of his. I approached him and he told me point blank that it was known of my business. I was sad, distressed and confused.

"My father was a born-again Christian. He was a Deacon in church. He was a happily married man with four male children. What led him to such atrocities?"

"Hmmm.... " She began to understand why he had issues with unfaithful married men.

"He came home one day with one of his mistresses and ordered us to move out of the main house and move into the boys' quarters. We were upset, but, my mum decided not to fight him. She fought her battles on her knees in prayers.

"The mistress that moved in with my dad was a choir mistress in her church. She was a so called born-again Christian. Yet, she lived a double life."

"Wow!" She realized that he must have compared her to his father's mistress.

"My father had an accident a year later. His mistress died instantly, but, he survived. He apologised us and asked for our forgiveness. He passed away some months later due to the infection that had taken over his wounds. I have issues with married men and the women who fall for their lies. I hope you can now understand why I cannot marry you and accept your past."

Promise returned his gaze and wondered if he had truly forgiven his father and the mistress who took his mother's place for sometime. No wonder he couldn't accept her past.

"Your father made mistakes. His mistresses made mistakes. We all make mistakes. We are not perfect. As Christians, what counts is the fact that we decide to repent, re-dedicate our lives to God, endeavour to learn from our mistakes, and move on. God's grace is sufficient for us all."

He sighed heavily. He knew she was right, yet, these were issues he couldn't come to terms with, regardless of what he had to let go.

She brushed a hand over his fair face and their eyes locked.

"It is okay. I understand where you are coming from. My prince charming is out there somewhere and your damsel in distress is also out there. We will find them soon."

He smiled and blinked back the tears threatening to burst forth from his eyes.

"I enjoyed every moment we spent together. I believe we are still friends."

He nodded in agreement.

"Take care of yourself, Gbenga Lewis," she lifted herself and walked away, in search of her sister.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 14, 2013
cry
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 4:43pm On Jun 14, 2013
ooowwww ,eyah ,
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by AnnNini(f): 5:07pm On Jun 14, 2013
Is this the end? If no then its so short after waiting for so long
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 15, 2013
Wow, i talk am, he has his reason 4 doing dat.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by practicalclass: 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2013
Nice story. Once I started I couldn't stop. But who says Gbenga would find his lady in distrest. I think the story continues
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by practicalclass: 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2013
Nice story. Once I started I couldn't stop. But who says Gbenga would find his lady in distrest. I think the story continues.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by oyestephen(m): 6:43pm On Jun 15, 2013
Who needs an handkerchief ?
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by glowingscenes(f): 7:12pm On Jun 15, 2013
oyestephen: Who needs an handkerchief ?
i do cry cry thanks hun for the hanky
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jun 15, 2013
@candis009... Kpele.

@Tovot... Abi o.

@AnnNini... U r an oliver twist! D story hasn't ended jor *winks*

@Damex333... *winks*

@practicalclass... Am glad u were captivated. Yes, d story continues.

@oyestephen, @glowingscences... Smh... Lol... *winks*

@All... The story has not ended. There is so much more to keep you glued to this thread *winks* Next update loading.

2 Likes

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Holumayor: 3:50pm On Jun 16, 2013
Nice story,i realy njoyd it,more update pls
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Emeraldz(f): 2:29pm On Jun 18, 2013
More! I want more. Its a lovely story.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by MumZ(f): 9:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
Its been a while u updated o, still waitn patiently 4 d nxt update.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by AnnNini(f): 10:04pm On Jun 20, 2013
a wa o. What's happening? Taking too long to update. Hope U re ok?
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by AnnNini(f): 10:05pm On Jun 20, 2013
Na wa o. What's happening? Taking too long to update. Hope U re ok?
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 21, 2013
We hope she s owkay, but to me e neva long reach o, since she gave ur two update at in close range. Lyk yoruba will say (ama mu garri e). grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by konklushun(f): 12:03pm On Jun 21, 2013
Oga damex, e don long reach na. Av been refreshing dis page since yesterday
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Jumizie13(f): 4:07pm On Jun 21, 2013
Oh my *sobs*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 21, 2013
konklushun: Oga damex, e don long reach na. Av been refreshing dis page since yesterday
boss, i know say e don tey, but wetin i dey talk be say we don dey use to am.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by tundunlola(f): 8:09pm On Jun 22, 2013
Aunty serah try n update n,u're keepin us waitin,the update is takin too long
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 24, 2013
@All... Serah apologizes for the long delay. It is due to some unavoidable circumstances. She will update the story as soon as it is retified. Thanks for your admirable patience. She sents her *winks* and *hugs*. She also promises to post more than one update on the same day.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Ijeoma Oluo's "So You Want To Talk About Race" Is New York Number 1 Bestseller / The Corridor of Hell / Tales Of Abigail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.