Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,258 members, 7,836,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (143619 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by shdemidemi(m): 5:43pm On Jun 18, 2013
JesusisLord85:

matthew 5:17 " Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Matthew 5:18 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

So, what do you think happened on the cross, Christ fulfilled the law on the cross. Since it has been fulfilled, the latter verse can be done away with-

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth

JesusisLord85:
What is the will of the father...To simply believe? I think not!!
It seem too simple but that is what the scripture says, why do you want it hard on yourself?

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JesusisLord85: 5:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
shdemidemi:

So, what do you think happened on the cross, Christ fulfilled the law on the cross. Since it has been fulfilled, the latter verse can be done away with-

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth

It seem too simple but that is what the scripture says, why do you want it hard on yourself?

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Eh, is that so. I this why Paul worried?

1 Corinthians 9:27 "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

He was worried he would not believe again? grin

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by shdemidemi(m): 6:01pm On Jun 18, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Eh, is that so. I this why Paul worried?

1 Corinthians 9:27 "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

He was worried he would not believe again? grin

The man was not talking about his salvation. He was talking in retrospect to false teachers that have perverted the gospel. He said he discipline his body so he does not lose focus on what he has been sent to do. In the previous verse he said he does all he does 'I do it so that I can share in the blessings of the Good News'.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 18, 2013
shdemidemi:

The man was not talking about his salvation. He was talking in retrospect to false teachers that have perverted the gospel. He said he discipline his body so he does not lose focus on what he has been sent to do.
have you read other translations to actually understand what Paul meant? SMH
Re: Tithes And Offerings by shdemidemi(m): 6:15pm On Jun 18, 2013
Bidam: have you read other translations to actually understand what Paul meant? SMH

What other translation, read it from the top of the chapter, he wasn't doubting his salvation if that is what you think. I can give you countless quotes to show he is sure him alongside all believers of the gospel would share God's glory.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by ikemofepo(m): 7:13pm On Jun 18, 2013
This is very unfortunate. Some guys here are still canvassing for circumcision as a prerequisite for salvation or for continuation in salvation. Like I said earlier, the new covenant is not understood, except of course some people are just deliberating trying to win an argument here. Galatians 3, Romans 8 and 10, 1 Corinthians 3 and many more chapters in the bible are more than enough to go against this rubbish. You want to keep the Laws of Moses? They Laws of Moses were written in our hearts? God gave you 1 Terabyte of Memory to store the Laws of Moses and obey them till you're finally found guilty of one and denied entrance into heaven. This is just plain silly!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JesusisLord85: 7:20pm On Jun 18, 2013
ikemofepo: This is very unfortunate. Some guys here are still canvassing for circumcision as a prerequisite for salvation or for continuation in salvation. Like I said earlier, the new covenant is not understood, except of course some people are just deliberating trying to win an argument here. Galatians 3, Romans 8 and 10, 1 Corinthians 3 and many more chapters in the bible are more than enough to go against this rubbish. You want to keep the Laws of Moses? They Laws of Moses were written in our hearts? God gave you 1 Terabyte of Memory to store the Laws of Moses and obey them till you're finally found guilty of one and denied entrance into heaven. This is just plain silly!

That is not an intellectual argument. Funnyy the passages you mention are often misunderstood. Which shall I start with. I will explain them in order you brought forward. Gal 3 coming soon, let me come back from the gym brother.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JesusisLord85: 11:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
JesusisLord85:

That is not an intellectual argument. Funnyy the passages you mention are often misunderstood. Which shall I start with. I will explain them in order you brought forward. Gal 3 coming soon, let me come back from the gym brother.

Greetings ikemofepo, and all. Ok, so Galatians. What I will do this evening is give you the context then we will move into explaining the passages, if that is ok.

It is important for us to know who Paul is talking to in this letter. We know it is written by Paul, a Jewish teacher, sent to teach the gentiles the good news.

1, Who is Paul talking to?
Allow me to go to 1 Peter to fetch the answer brother.
1 Peter 1:1-2 "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.”

So they are strangers, and yet they are the elect- two opposing terms. They are also said to be 'scattered'

Now, remember that when these letters were sent, the only word of God they knew was the old testament. In 2 Timothy 3:16, Paul could only have been referring to the word of God, old testament: " All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"

So let's go into OT to see who these elect, scattered, strangers are smiley
As I said before, 722 BC God divorced the northern Kingdom (10 tribes) of Israel for their idolatry and allowed them to be carried into captivity in Assyria.
Later, in 586 BC Judah also went into captivity into Babylon. After 70 years in captivity, Judah was able to return to Israel and rebuild the temple. (a remnant was scattered from Egypt across Africa - and these are probably my ancestors grin

According to the law, if you divorce your wife, you cannot marry them back. So it would seem strange to the prophets that, after divorcing Israel, God would suggest he will take her back. Examine these prophecies brothers:

Jeremiah 50:17 “Israel is a scattered sheep; the lions have driven him away: first the king of Assyria hath devoured him; and last this Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath broken his bones.”
Micah 2:12 “I will surely assemble, O Jacob, all of thee; I will surely gather the remnant of Israel; I will put them together as the sheep of Bozrah, as the flock in the midst of their fold: they shall make great noise by reason of the multitude of men.”
Ezekiel 11:16 “Thus saith the Lord GOD; Although I have cast them far off among the heathen, and although I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them as a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall come.”

So the Messiah had to die and resurrect so he could marry his bride, Israel.

Think Romans 11:25 "For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

This is why Jesus said in Matthew 15:24 "But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

And who are the elect? The only people known as the elect according to OT is Israel. Elect means chosen:
Isaiah 45:4 "I do this for my servant, Jacob. I do it for my chosen people, Israel..."

So those in Galatia Paul is talking to are those from the northern Kingdom of Israel (10 tribes) who became scattered, and lived among the gentiles.
These are Israelites that became gentiles, because they were out of the covenant hitherto.

consider this, in Ephesus, over 100,000 people accepted the gospel. You really think a Jewish rabbai would roll into a city and speak to pagan gentiles (not the scattered sheep) and they would suddenly accept this Jew? The exile occured in 722BC so relatively recent enough for them to maintain their identity.

The good news for them is that they are no longer out of covenant, and the words of the prophets of old are being fulfilled. They can now come back into covenant via the gospel.

That is the into and background. I will return to you tomorrow or day after to give you the meat brothers and sisters.

Shalom
Re: Tithes And Offerings by shdemidemi(m): 9:54am On Jun 19, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Greetings ikemofepo, and all. Ok, so Galatians. What I will do this evening is give you the context then we will move into explaining the passages, if that is ok.

It is important for us to know who Paul is talking to in this letter. We know it is written by Paul, a Jewish teacher, sent to teach the gentiles the good news.

1, Who is Paul talking to?
Allow me to go to 1 Peter to fetch the answer brother.
1 Peter 1:1-2 "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

So they are strangers, and yet they are the elect- two opposing terms. They are also said to be 'scattered'
You have missed it from the beginning, Paul's letter is not directed ted to the same audience as Peters. Paul would never write without stating who he is writing to. He wrote Galatians to the church in Galatiia and not to the Jews.
1 1 Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead), 2 and all the brethren who are with me, To the churches of Galatia:

Paul writes all his letters to believers(Gentiles and Jews) . Peter, James and John wrote their letters to Jews.

JesusisLord85:
Now, remember that when these letters were sent, the only word of God they knew was the old testament. In 2 Timothy 3:16, Paul could only have been referring to the word of God, old testament: " All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"'

The letters to Timothy were the last letters he wrote, Paul was not just referring to the Old Testament here cos the church in Galatia was a predominantly gentile church, they knew nothing about the old, all they knew was what Paul presented to them. Paul was speaking about everything we know as the word of God today(scripture), not just the old.

Every other thing you wrote originated from the wrong foundation and understanding you have.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JesusisLord85: 10:03am On Jun 19, 2013
shdemidemi:
You have missed it from the beginning, Paul's letter is not directed ted to the same audience as Peters. Paul would never write without stating who he is writing to. He wrote Galatians to the church in Galatiia and not to the Jews.
1 1 Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead), 2 and all the brethren who are with me, To the churches of Galatia:

Paul writes all his letters to believers(Gentiles and Jews) . Peter, James and John wrote their letters to Jews.

The letters to Timothy were the last letters he wrote, Paul was not just referring to the Old Testament here cos the church in Galatia was a predominantly gentile church, they knew nothing about the old, all they knew was what Paul presented to them. Paul was speaking about everything we know as the word of God today(scripture), not just the old.

Every other thing you wrote originated from the wrong foundation and understanding you have.

You are incorrect. As if to say the gentiles believers and Jewish believers did not fellowship together. Did Paul not rebuke Peter for not eating with the gentile believers because he feared what the 'circumcision group' would think. Eating with gentiles was forbidden according to the 'trdition' of the elder, not the law.

Anyway I will proceed to exlain the rest of the book later. I used scripture. You can be there making wrong connections.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JesusisLord85: 10:11am On Jun 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

I should also mention, Peter called them "strangers". To the Jews (the word Jew comes from Judah - the northerners were scattered among the gentiles, and to the Judeans, they were indeed gentiles, no longer in covenant).

What do you think the parable of the prodigal son was about jare?
God inviting his lost sheep back into covenant with him. The Judeans didn't recognise the scattered people as one of them. They lived among gentiles, and that made them, according to the traditions of the elders, gentiles too.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JesusisLord85: 11:07am On Jun 19, 2013
I realise this is off topic from original thread. Shall I create a new thread and we discuss from there?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 19, 2013
JesusisLord85: I realise this is off topic from original thread. Shall I create a new thread and we discuss from there?
I think it will be better.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JesusisLord85: 11:48am On Jun 19, 2013
Bidam: I think it will be better.

Ok, the new thread is called 'Bible Study - Galatians... Has The Modern Church Misunderstood? '

Please follow and I will be going though this book in my leisure.

God bless you all
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 19, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Ok, the new thread is called 'Bible Study - Galatians... Has The Modern Church Misunderstood? '

Please follow and I will be going though this book in my leisure.

God bless you all
thanks i would love it.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2013
Things We Ought to Do
June 20, 2013

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).

This sharp rebuke by Jesus to the legalists of His day should also be taken seriously by us today. Although we are saved by grace alone, there are many things we ought to do, not as a matter of credit toward salvation, but as gratitude for our salvation. Surely judgment, mercy, and faithfulness are high on such a list.

Other "oughts" of the born-again Christian life would include the following incomplete listing:

Prayer: "Men ought always to pray, and not to faint" (Luke 18:1).

Obedience to God as Priority: "We ought to obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29).

Working and Sharing: "So labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35).

Gracious in Speech: "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man" (Colossians 4:6).

Walking with God: "As ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more" (1 Thessalonians 4:1).

Heeding God's Word: "We ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip" (Hebrews 2:1).

Sanctified Behaviour: "What manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness" (2 Peter 3:11).
HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 20, 2013
^^^^

Don't you think it is time to follow JESUS and not Henry Morris, Ph.D.?

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by shdemidemi(m): 7:52am On Jun 22, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Things We Ought to Do
June 20, 2013

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).

This sharp rebuke by Jesus to the legalists of His day should also be taken seriously by us today. Although we are saved by grace alone, there are many things we ought to do, not as a matter of credit toward salvation, but as gratitude for our salvation. Surely judgment, mercy, and faithfulness are high on such a list.

Other "oughts" of the born-again Christian life would include the following incomplete listing:

Obedience to God as Priority: "We ought to obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29).

Working and Sharing: "So labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35).

Gracious in Speech: "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man" (Colossians 4:6).

Walking with God: "As ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more" (1 Thessalonians 4:1).

Heeding God's Word: "We ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip" (Hebrews 2:1).

Sanctified Behaviour: "What manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness" (2 Peter 3:11).
HMM

For more . . . .

oladegbu makes biblical sense today although I don't know if he really understands the bolded statement, you have done well all the same.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 8:19am On Jun 22, 2013
shdemidemi:

oladegbu makes biblical sense today although I don't know if he really understands the bolded statement, you have done well all the same.

But as usual it is copy and paste na, he can't think for himself and from his antecedents on the forum, he clearly doesn't understand the bolded you highlighted.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by SincereBigot: 9:59am On Jun 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Things We Ought to Do
June 20, 2013

HMM

For more . . . .
u havent answered my question sir.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 10:13am On Jun 26, 2013
Sincere Bigot: u havent answered my question sir.

He never answers any question.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by SincereBigot: 10:34am On Jun 26, 2013
Pastor Kun:

He never answers any question.
thats too bad.. and i really wanted to learn from him.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 10:51am On Jun 26, 2013
Sincere Bigot: thats too bad.. and i really wanted to learn from him.

You can't learn any truth from him, he would at best lead you into bondage.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
Sincere Bigot:

u havent answered my question sir.

Jesus will answer your questions here:

Re: Tithes And Offerings by shdemidemi(m): 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2013
You can't proudly and confidently answer questions. You are definitely not fit to be a disciple of your demonic institution, called deeper life.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus will answer your questions answered here:

Are you sure Jesus would be at that cult gathering?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2013
shdemidemi:

You can't proudly and confidently answer questions. You are definitely not fit to be a disciple of your demonic institution, called deeper life.

What were the questions if I may ask you?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Are you sure Jesus would be at that cult gathering?

Come and see. cheesy
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 2:35pm On Jun 26, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Come and see. cheesy

I am sorry I would have to decline as my bible tells me to flee all appearances of evil tongue
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
Pastor Kun:

I am sorry I would have to decline as my bible tells me to flee all appearances of evil tongue

That is understandable.

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved"
(John 3:19-20)

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Boomark(m): 7:30pm On Jun 26, 2013
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Boomark(m): 7:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
Where did they command Christians to pay tithe in the bible?

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (141) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's House And Jeeps (Picture) / Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / List Of Gods Born By A Virgin On 25th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.