Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (142698 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 12:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Are you a Christian? If the answer is no, then disregard whatever I said but if the answer is yes then do what our Lord Jesus Christ said.

I am not under the law but under grace. For people like you who chose to remain under the law as a result of the love for filty lucre, this message is for you:

Galatians 3:
10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”
11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.

4 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:06pm On Feb 18, 2013
JIL:

I am not under the law but under grace. For people like you who chose to remain under the law as a result of the love for filty lucre, this message is for you:

Lawless one. Does this Scripture apply to you seeing that it's in the NT?

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city"
(Revelation 22:14).

It surely takes faith to give your tithes and offerings.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 1:43pm On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

@fraudster
And does the commandments of Jesus include collecting or paying of tithes by christians? Even the jews that were asked to give tithes never gave tithes of money but of farm produce. But today rogues and charlatans like you are demanding tithes of money from those whom God never required tithe of.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 1:47pm On Feb 18, 2013
Image123: God is not a respecter of persons,is He? Even if He was addressing house flies, it would be wisdom for you to pay attention (and pay tithes tongue). Go to the ant thou sluggard, consider her ways and be wise.

I am not suprised you consider yourself a house fly after all you are still under the curse of the law. tongue some of us have been adopted into the kingdom and are now joint heirs with christ and house flies like you are at best irritants.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 1:48pm On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

"Righteous" man, if Galatians 3:10-11 does not apply to you, these verses do.

Jude 1:11
Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

2 Corinthians 2:17
At least we are not commercializing God's word like so many others. Instead, we speak with sincerity in the Messiah's name, like people who are sent from God and are accountable to God.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
frosbel:

If the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do?

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 2:08pm On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do?

This is the least of things I ever expected from you. Even your very own cartoon supports what we've been telling you since the beginning of this thread. grin
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 2:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
Goshen360:

This is the least of things I ever expected from you. Even your very own cartoon supports what we've been telling you since the beginning of this thread. grin

When Olaadegbu doesn't have anything else to say, he resorts to uploading cartoons that ironically speak against what he represents.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
Goshen360:

What have you been saying other than that we should ignore the OT from which our Christian principles emanate from? Most biblical doctrines in the Christian faith today flow from Genesis especially chapters 1-11 and yet you are here together with your fellow atheists, satanists and cultists campaigning against the very foundation which our Christian ethics flow from.

Look carefully at the cartoon below. Do you see the guy shooting himself in the foot? Could that be you?

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 2:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
where did your comprehension go? The cartoon shows the folly of separating from the OT. The OT is the root, the foundation. It is unwise to run away with only the cross.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Goshen360:

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 3:13pm On Feb 18, 2013
Image123: where did your comprehension go? The cartoon shows the folly of separating from the OT. The OT is the root, the foundation. It is unwise to run away with only the cross.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

So what about the other 612 laws? It is only when it comes to tithes that you realise the OT exists. When last did you offer burnt offerings?

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 4:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
Image123: where did your comprehension go? The cartoon shows the folly of separating from the OT. The OT is the root, the foundation. It is unwise to run away with only the cross.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, [size=30pt]but to fulfill.[/size]

Oga, another scriptures staring at you in the face.....The law of Moses as a whole was pointing to Christ and NOW that Christ has come and FULFILLED it.....why are you still teaching people to follow the law of Moses? Huh? No make me vex for you.....as I don dey vex already.

New International Version (©1984)
And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.
New Living Translation (©2007)
Then Jesus took them through the writings of Moses and all the prophets, explaining from all the Scriptures the things concerning himself. - Luke 24:27

AND NOW, THIS....

Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
For Christ has already accomplishED the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God. - Romans 10:4

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 5:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
JIL:

So what about the other 612 laws? It is only when it comes to tithes that you realise the OT exists. When last did you offer burnt offerings?

That's to show their cherry-picking. They will say one is abolished and another one remains but scriptures always prove them wrong. Those who quote these verses below don't even understand what Christ was saying. Hence, they shipwreck scriptures. Look at what they quote,
Image123:
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, [size=20pt]but to fulfill[/size].
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, [size=20pt]till all be fulfilled.[/size]

And since we just showed them that ALL things in the law of Moses WAS POINTING TO CHRIST, from here below,
Goshen360:

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.
Then Jesus took them through the writings of Moses and all the prophets, explaining from all the Scriptures the things concerning himself. - Luke 24:27

Therefore, Christ's word would NEVER mean that the law of Moses is to remain AFTER he would have FULFILLED the purpose for which the law of Moses was given. Hence, this statement (below) will be TRUE,
Goshen360:

Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
For Christ has already accomplishED the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God. - Romans 10:4

My mission or purpose is, say for instance to get to point B from A. If I fulfill that mission or purpose, then it MEANS the mission and purpose IS ENDED. The mission and purpose of the law of Moses was to lead or be a schoolmaster UNTIL Christ would come and fulfill it. Now that Christ has come and fulfilled it and since everything in the law of Moses was a shadowing pointing to Christ, when Christ came and fulfilled the shadows, then the mission and purpose of the law of Moses is ENDED. This scriptures testifies to that truth,

by abolishing in his flesh the law [size=20pt]with[/size] its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, - Ephesians 2:15

My brother, let them continue or go and start practicing the remaining of the 612 regulations contained IN the law of Moses. Until they start doing that, they are guilty of cherry-picking scriptures. We believe, when the law is gone, everything is gone. What the church is governed by today is the 'law of the Spirit of life' IN CHRIST JESUS. That's the law we have today that applies to both Jews and Gentiles altogether.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Boomark(m): 5:16pm On Feb 18, 2013
Pastor Kun:

@fraudster
And does the commandments of Jesus include collecting or paying of tithes by christians? Even the jews that were asked to give tithes never gave tithes of money but of farm produce. But today rogues and charlatans like you are demanding tithes of money from those whom God never required tithe of.

Hahaha! @fraudwetin? Nke star abi artist?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Boomark(m): 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2013
Perhaps they don't know what it means for the law to be fullfied. They don't understand what the new covenant with Christ is all about.

Ola, Image123 and co still believe the laws has not been fulfilled by Christ. They are practicing some part of the law as they wait for Christ to fulfil them.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by brilapluz(m): 7:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
Galatians 5:3..no handpicking 4 all tithers,observe ALL!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 8:25pm On Feb 18, 2013
Boomark: Perhaps they don't know what it means for the law to be fullfied. They don't understand what the new covenant with Christ is all about.

Ola, Image123 and co still believe the laws has not been fulfilled by Christ. They are practicing some part of the law as they wait for Christ to fulfil them.

Don't be deceived by these people. They know Christ has fulfilled the law. These are guys who quote the bible as if they penned it themselves. Satan also quotes the scriptures and appear as an angel of light. But they chose to deliberately ignore it because of their love of mammon. They have never offered burnt offerings on behalf of anyone but want to collect tithes.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 18, 2013
JIL:

Don't be deceived by these people. They know Christ has fulfilled the law. These are guys who quote the bible as if they penned it themselves. Satan also quotes the scriptures and appear as an angel of light. But they chose to deliberately ignore it because of their love of mammon. They have never offered burnt offerings on behalf of anyone but want to collect tithes.
on the contrary, we give our tithes to God because the ability to earn the money is God's gift in the first place( ecc 5:18). 2. We give to God becos the ability to enjoy the wealth is a gift from God( ecc 5:19-20). 3. But on the other hand you guys are tight fisted becos..1. the more you have the more your want the unrighteous mammon(ecc5 :10). 2. The more you have the more you spend(ecc 5:11).3.the more you have the more you worry(ecc5 :12) and lastly the more you have the more you loose (ecc 5:13-14)..abegi make una read ecc5 :14-17 and learn a thing or two why money shuldn't be taking seriously but should instead be invested in God's kingdom...Jesus said it loud and clear in scriptures..you can't serve me and money..so don't hide in hypocrisy quoting NT when you have not yielded your entire being to the Lord as a living sacrifice including your purse(romans 12:1).
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 10:36pm On Feb 18, 2013
Bidam: on the contrary, we give our tithes to God because the ability to earn the money is God's gift in the first place( ecc 5:18). 2. We give to God becos the ability to enjoy the wealth is a gift from God( ecc 5:19-20). 3. But on the other hand you guys are tight fisted becos..1. the more you have the more your want the unrighteous mammon(ecc5 :10). 2. The more you have the more you spend(ecc 5:11).3.the more you have the more you worry(ecc5 :12) and lastly the more you have the more you loose (ecc 5:13-14)..abegi make una read ecc5 :14-17 and learn a thing or two why money shuldn't be taking seriously but should instead be invested in God's kingdom...Jesus said it loud and clear in scriptures..you can't serve me and money..so don't hide in hypocrisy quoting NT when you have not yielded your entire being to the Lord as a living sacrifice including your purse(romans 12:1).

Do you even know what Christianity is all about and what Christ has done for the church? Genesis to Revelation is Christ. If you understand that truth and revelation, then you would have SEEN Christ in those Ecclesiastes verses you're quoting because you will understand the GREATER THAN SOLOMON IS CHRIST...... cool.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:18pm On Feb 18, 2013
Goshen360:

Do you even know what Christianity is all about and what Christ has done for the church? Genesis to Revelation is Christ. If you understand that truth and revelation, then you would have SEEN Christ in those Ecclesiastes verses you're quoting because you will understand the GREATER THAN SOLOMON IS CHRIST...... cool.

I trust you with your diabolical ways of diverting the topic when you grasping at straws. Was it not you in the thread below collaborating with atheists against the word of God?

Keeping The Law

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10)

The law of God, centred in the Ten Commandments, is "holy, and just, and good" (Romans 7:12) and expresses perfectly the will of God for holy living. "The man that doeth them shall live in them." (Galatians 3:12).

The problem is that no man can possibly do them all. A man may keep most of the commandments most of the time, but he will inevitably fail in some of them some of the time. Since the law is a divine unit, breaking any commandment—as our text reminds us—breaks the whole law, bringing the guilty one under God’s curse of death. "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them" (Galatians 3:10). "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight" (Romans 3:20).

All men, having sinned against God’s law, are therefore lost and in urgent need of salvation. This is where God’s wonderful grace comes in. "But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, . . . Even the righteousness . . . which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe" (Romans 3:21,22), "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us" (Galatians 3:13). He kept the law for us, and bore its curse for us: Thus we are saved through trusting Him.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid" (Romans 6:1,2). We now desire to keep His commandments, because we love Him. "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous" (1 John 5:3). We are now able to keep them, because His Spirit now lives in us, and we are "strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man" (Ephesians 3:16). HMM

For more . . . .

https://www.nairaland.com/898276/gods-perfect-moral-law-explained
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:26pm On Feb 18, 2013
And this was one of the articles I posted regarding the subject you are now trying to divert us to.

The End Of The Law

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." (Romans 10:4)

The necessity of adherence to the Mosaic Law is no longer in effect. It was "glorious" for its time and purpose (2 Corinthians 3:11), but that which replaced it (i.e., the grace of Christ) is far better and will last for eternity. The law was simply unable to bring about justification of a sinner, as can belief in Christ’s finished work. "And by Him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses" (Acts 13:39).

However, many of the commandments given in the Mosaic Law are repeated in the New Testament. Even the Ten Commandments are restated (Romans 13:9; 1 Timothy 1:9,10; and elsewhere). Jesus taught, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God . . . and . . . thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:37,40). Clearly, the law remains in some aspects. We are not free to live a licentious, sinful lifestyle. How then does Scripture teach that "Christ is the end of the law?"

The solution lies in the recognition of the fact that the Mosaic "code," the scheme by which God related to Israel has passed. There have been several other Biblical "codes" which have also passed (see Genesis 1:28–30; 9:2–6), and while specific aspects and/or commandments are different in each, many provisions are common in all. God's desire for holiness does not change, and those deeds of men which violate His holy, unchanging nature are forbidden in each of the "codes" He has given.

We are now blessed to be under "the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2), elsewhere called "The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus (which) hath made (us) free from the law of sin and death" (Romans 8:2). JDM

For more . . . .

When we believe on Christ we are free from the law of sin and death and made free to choose to obey His commandments as opposed to your belief to taking liberty for licence to live a sinful lifestyle.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
Goshen360:

And so? What's your point? I am also greater than solomon cos Christ in me is the hope of glory.. I can do ALL THINGS THRU CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH....gosh you just like arguing for arguing sake.or is it a crime if i use my money that Christ has blessed me with to spread the gospel to as far as china, japan,india or jakarta?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
@ Ola,

Yes, I did that because you copy too many articles from the Internet and the end product is confusion - mixing truth with error. If I start to bring out the truth in that your article and APPLY it to this topic now, na run you go run again go copy another article to come defend it hereby leading to more confusion. grin My brother, there's nothing wrong with you. We don't fight because we disagree, okay.

Just take your time and sit down for yourself, empty yourself of what you have been taught in the past, examine them critically and sort out the truth from errors. One of your problem is that, you trusted another man to teach you scriptures to the point that you don't think that man can teach or make mistakes leading to errors. You need to examine again, all what you've been taught and put all those men you eat teachings from under scriptural examination. I say this to you with all sincerity. You'll do yourself a lot of good like the Bereans. It's not enough to quote scriptures but don't contradict scriptures.

Bless you!

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
Bidam: And so? What's your point? I am also greater than solomon cos Christ in me is the hope of glory.. I can do ALL THINGS THRU CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH....gosh you just like arguing for arguing sake.or is it a crime if i use my money that Christ has blessed me with to spread the gospel to as far as china, japan,india or jakarta?

Who said you shouldn't use your money to advance the kingdom and as you wrongly said before, what makes you think we, anti-tithe don't do the same? That's not the point here. The point is, your preachers collecting 10% of people's salary is UNscriptural. I will post one of my article for you soon - If only you will listen.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

I trust you with your diabolical ways of diverting the topic when you grasping at straws. Was it not you in the thread below collaborating with atheists against the word of God?

https://www.nairaland.com/898276/gods-perfect-moral-law-explained

I will debate you and this your so called 'moral' law this week or next. You'll see that what you call the 'moral' law, the TEN COMMANDMENTS is ALSO ABOLISHED. When the law (of Moses) is gone, it is gone. Christians ONLY live and operate by the law OF CHRIST. I'll debate and teach it this week or next, okay.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 11:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
Goshen360:

Who said you shouldn't use your money to advance the kingdom and as you wrongly said before, what makes you think we, anti-tithe don't do the same? That's not the point here. The point is, your preachers collecting 10% of people's salary is UNscriptural. I will post one of my article for you soon - If only you will listen.
another of your errors..10% is not for preachers..it is to God.....and what gave you the impression preachers don't tithe? We are all called to preach rememeber? A church is not a building do i remind you?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
Goshen360: @ Ola,

Yes, I did that because you copy too many articles from the Internet and the end product is confusion - mixing truth with error. If I start to bring out the truth in that your article and APPLY it to this topic now, na run you go run again go copy another article to come defend it hereby leading to more confusion. grin My brother, there's nothing wrong with you. We don't fight because we disagree, okay.

Just take your time and sit down for yourself, empty yourself of what you have been taught in the past, examine them critically and sort out the truth from errors. One of your problem is that, you trusted another man to teach you scriptures to the point that you don't think that man can teach or make mistakes leading to errors. You need to examine again, all what you've been taught and put all those men you eat teachings from under scriptural examination. I say this to you with all sincerity. You'll do yourself a lot of good like the Bereans. It's not enough to quote scriptures but don't contradict scriptures.

Bless you!

It will be good if you take that advice and put it to use because you really need it.

"And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your heart"
(Deut. 6:5)

"You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against your people, but you shall love your neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD"
(Lev. 19:18)

This is basically the summary of the decalogue which our Lord Jesus reiterated in the NT and its purpose is to teach the holiness of God, so that we will see the need for the Saviour. This is the real reason satan hates God's law and will use whoever makes themself available to fight it tooth and nail as you are now doing.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:55pm On Feb 18, 2013
Bidam: another of your errors..10% is not for preachers..it is to God.....and what gave you the impression preachers don't tithe? We are all called to preach rememeber? A church is not a building do i remind you?

And where does God command this 10% for CHRISTIANS. Is that too hard for you to show us in the NEW TESTAMENT? I've been asking you this same question more than only God knows how many times now. You're yet to show ONE single scriptures where God, Christ or the Apostles COMMANDED or INSTRUCTED CHRISTIANS to TITHE. Please, I'm waiting for one scripture BUT we've shown you and your group where tithing was abolished...NO?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04am On Feb 19, 2013
Goshen360:

I will debate you and this your so called 'moral' law this week or next. You'll see that what you call the 'moral' law, the TEN COMMANDMENTS is ALSO ABOLISHED. When the law (of Moses) is gone, it is gone. Christians ONLY live and operate by the law OF CHRIST. I'll debate and teach it this week or next, okay.

The Bible says that we should contend earnestly for the faith. It didn't say be contentious for the faith. But you should know that truth will always win at the end of the day no matter how long a lie persists.

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 12:07am On Feb 19, 2013
Goshen360:

First, you must understand from scriptures there're TWO kinds of lawS - of Moses and of Christ. The law of Moses was given to national Israel, the Jews. The law of Christ was given to Christian being established by Christ while on earth and takes effect AFTER his death for the New Testament church, the body of Christ. Hence, the Bible as a whole is written to the Jews (national Israel), the Gentiles (non Jews) and the church of God (Both Jews and Gentiles who have come to believe in Jesus Christ by faith). God, at these different times and dispensation spoke to people based on what God desires to accomplish on earth at a given dispensation BUT NOW, in this dispensation of Grace and the church, God is speaking to us, Christian or the church THROUGH Christ. (Hebrews 1:1-2) Why? Because, the law of Moses was given to the national Israel to guide them until Christ would come BUT Grace and truth came by Jesus. Now that Christ has come with Grace, there's no more need for the law of Moses. Hence, we say we are under the Grace not under the law (of Moses).

Two, you must understand the law of Moses in order to appreciate the law of Christ. Now, when you study the scriptures, you often find at times the law being referred to as SINGULAR and in another case as PLURAL as in with -s. The law is ONE package taken as a WHOLE when referred to as SINGLE and it is plural when referred to as parts BUT it is still ONE law package given to Moses. For instance,

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
For the law (SINGULAR) was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. - John 1:17

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And you shall teach them ordinances and laws (PLURAL), and shall show them the way in which they must walk, and the work that they must do. - Exodus 18:20

With the law AS ONE PACKAGE given to Moses, it contains what scriptures called COMMANDMENTS, ORDINANCES, STATUTES, DECREES AND INSTRUCTIONS etc. That's what you will find in the law. Also, commandments, ordinances etc are also sometimes referred to as plural or singular sometimes but will point you to the specific instructions from God.

Now, all that being said to lay a foundation for you, let's go over to the book of Hebrews 7 (I'll like you to read the whole passage and study it yourself to confirm if I speak the truth or lie) where tithing or titheS was abolished. I do not speak for myself but allow scriptures to speak for itself.

Hebrews 7:18 says, "For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.". You might not appreciate or understand this verse until you read many translations. The question every good bible study would like to ask is, WHAT COMMANDMENT is he talking about that is DIS-ANNULLED? Some translations have set aside, cancellation, abrogation, etc. Now, what 'commandment' is cancelled? We don't have to interpret scriptures out of context but within the context.

There're THREE usage of the word 'commandment' with the context of Hebrews 7 before this verse 18 and both usage have SPECIFIC INSTRUCTION they both point to and ALL the THREE usage ARE SINGULAR. One would expect the word 'commandment' to be in PLURAL since it is more than one commandment within the context. But like I said, it is taken AS A WHOLE with the law of Moses. Now, let's go to the reference to the word 'commandment' and the SPECIFIC instructions to it.

1. The first use of 'commandment' is in Hebrews 7:5,

And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Now, the COMMANDMENT here in context is SPECIFIC - to take titheS (plural). That means there're more than ONE type of tithe. So we bear in mind that TAKING tithes by the sons of Levi (those who ministers alongside with the priest) is our focus here. You see, the whole lies of tithe is scriptural flawed if carefully studied in scriptures. Under the law of Moses, IT IS NOT THE PRIEST THAT WERE TO TAKE TITHE BUT THE LEVITES. If we're to put the in our present day, the pastors will represent the PRIEST while the church workers will represent the LEVITES. So, the Levites TAKE tithes and give TENTH PART to the PRIEST. If tithe is even to be practiced today, it is the church workers who are to TAKE TITHE and then give TENTH part to PASTOR..... grin. Can you see the flaws of the false teaching? Lemme show it to you from scriptures.

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, [even] a tenth [part] of the tithe. And [this] your heave offering shall be reckoned unto you, as though [it were] the corn of the threshingfloor, and as the fulness of the winepress. Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest. - Numbers 18:25-28

So, first, Pastors collecting tithe is UNscriptural and THIEFING because they are NOT the church workers of our days; they are like the priest BUT every believer is made kings and PRIEST unto God hence, there is nothing like priest and levites ANYMORE. That's just by the way. .........are you enjoying this lecture in the Spirit? grin Okay! We just established what Hebrews 7:5 says concerning sons of Levi HAVE THE COMMANDMENT TO TAKE TITHE right? That's the first use of the word 'commandment' and what is specified for? - TO TAKE TITHE....by the sons of Levi who were ministers in the Old Tabernacle with the PRIEST, Aaron. You get it?, Okay!

2. The second use of the word 'commandment' is in verse 16 of Hebrews 7.

Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

Now, to understand what this 'commandment' is pointing to, you need to read within context from verse 12 and you will understand verse 16. This 'commandment' is referring to the REQUIREMENT TO QUALIFY AS A LEVITICAL PRIESTHOOD - One MUST be of the tribe of Levi. Otherwise, you CANNOT qualify to function as a Levitical Priesthood. That's the reason verses 13-14 specified that Our Lord Jesus doesn't meet the legal (law) requirement for being MADE a Levitcal priesthood and hence, HE CANNOT COLLECT TITHE (only the Levites have commandment to take tithe) because Christ descended from the tribe of Judah and nothing was said in the law of Moses concerning Judah Priesthood. Again, DON'T forget, the commandment is NOW two. One in verse 5 and the second in verse 16 and yet, it is NOT PLURAL but SINGULAR....meaning both are taken as a WHOLE....as first explained.

Now, to the main eternal truth in verse 18 that cancelled the 'commandment'. Some folks here argue that it is ONLY the priesthood of verse 12 and 16 that is cancelled. I laugh when they make such claim in the face of scriptures. Let's even 'assume' it is the levitical priesthood that is cancelled BUT the same levitical priesthood HAVE WITH THEM COMMANDMENT TO TAKE TITHE.....so if they agree the levitical priesthood is cancelled, indirectly or directly, the tithe too is gone because they possess the commandment to TAKE TITHE. The Levitical priesthood can't be gone and the tithe remain? To whom then are you gonna take the tithe to if the 'commandment' is to the Levites? grin

The truth is, the 'commandment' that is nullified in verse 18 MUST include 'to take tithe' of verse 5 and also 'to be made a priesthood' of verse 16. To say that the Levitical priesthood is gone but tithe remains is cherry-picking scriptures. The 'commandment' in verse 18 is singular, so is the 'commandment' in verse 5 and 16. None is plural with -s. Hence, it MUST include both the 'commandment' to take tithe as well as 'commandment' to be made a levites AND NOT ONLY LIMITED TO THOSE TWO ALONE BUT TO EVERY OTHER COMMANDMENTS (plural) IN THE LAW OF MOSES.

Many pastors don't like to read the whole of Hebrews 7 to you because they know the truth that's where tithing was abolished. Pastors even go as far as telling non-income earners such as students, babies (when present with gifts at birth) etc to tithe and such is even against scriptures and nowhere to be found in the pages of the Holy Scriptures) Under the law of Christ that governs the New Testament, we're instructed to GIVE. Just like the national Israel were instructed to share their resources and income or increase with the Levites by bringing tithes to them, so also the church (you and I) are instructed to give, by sharing our income or whatever we have with ourselves in the worship places, our neighbours, our families, our friends, our community, etc. Tithe is NEVER money in the law; it was specific to be crops and animals BUT under Grace, giving is MONEY or could be anything including giving ourselves, time, talents etc. This is the instruction UNDER Grace of Christ, NOT according to the law of Moses. Tithe is 10% but your giving can be any percent.....AS YOU PROPOSE IN YOUR HEART IN KEEPING UP WITH YOUR EXPENSES AND LIVING. (2 Corinthians 9:7 and 1 Corinthians 16:2 - Please read those two scriptures in NIV translation to better understand the context).

One of the reasons the law of Moses was taken away was because God want to make ONE NEW MAN IN CHRIST (The church which is the body and bride of Christ) which is NOT limited ONLY to the national Israel BUT universal. Then God will have to introduce a new law IN Christ for ALL THOSE WHO COME TO Christ to be governed by the New law of Christ under the dispensation of Grace - It's called the 'law of the Spirit of life' IN CHRIST JESUS.

by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.
He did this by ending the system of law [size=20pt]with[/size] its [b]commandments (PLURAL) and regulations (PLURAL). He made peace between Jews and Gentiles by creating in himself one new people from the two groups. Together as one body, Christ reconciled both groups to God by means of his death on the cross, and our hostility toward each other was put to death. He brought this Good News of peace to you Gentiles who were far away from him, and peace to the Jews who were near. - Ephesians 2:15-17

Weymouth New Testament
In that new creation there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free man, but Christ is everything and is in all of us. - Colossians 3:11

Lemme stop here...a long epistle indeed!

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:21am On Feb 19, 2013
Forget Not His Commandments

"My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments" (Proverbs 3:1).

It is vitally important that, even though we are saved by grace and not by the works of the law, we never forget that God's law is essentially a statement of God's holiness. We should desire to know and follow God's commandments simply because they are "holy, and just, and good" (Romans 7:12), not because we seek salvation through them.

It is noteworthy that the anonymous writer of the longest chapter in the Bible (Psalm 119), in which practically every verse refers to the Scriptures, stressed seven times that he would never forget the laws and commandments of his Lord. May the Lord teach us to share the same determination. Note:

"I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word" (v. 16).

"For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes" (v. 83).

"I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me" (v. 93).

"My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law" (v. 109).

"I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts" (v. 141).

"Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law" (v. 153).

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments" (v. 176).

This seventh reference is actually the closing verse of this remarkable 119th Psalm. It beautifully points up the urgency of not forgetting the commandments of God. He will seek us when we stray and bring us back home to Him, for we remember and love His law. HMM

For more . . . .

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city"
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 12:32am On Feb 19, 2013
Bidam: on the contrary, we give our tithes to God because the ability to earn the money is God's gift in the first place( ecc 5:18). 2. We give to God becos the ability to enjoy the wealth is a gift from God( ecc 5:19-20). 3. But on the other hand you guys are tight fisted becos..1. the more you have the more your want the unrighteous mammon(ecc5 :10). 2. The more you have the more you spend(ecc 5:11).3.the more you have the more you worry(ecc5 :12) and lastly the more you have the more you loose (ecc 5:13-14)..abegi make una read ecc5 :14-17 and learn a thing or two why money shuldn't be taking seriously but should instead be invested in God's kingdom...Jesus said it loud and clear in scriptures..you can't serve me and money..so don't hide in hypocrisy quoting NT when you have not yielded your entire being to the Lord as a living sacrifice including your purse(romans 12:1).

Are you sure you know what we have been talking about or are you just trying to misrepresent facts.

Have you heard any of us speaking against giving to God? What we are talking about is that tithing as being practised in our churches today is not scriptural.

Do you know what true Christian giving is all about? Have you ever given more than a 100% of your salary at one go just by the leading of the Holy Spirit without even the pastor knowing who the giver was? Unlike some here who would pay a tenth and announce it to the world.

The type of giving that pleases God is given in 2 Cor 9:7 and that is the basis of a good and acceptable Christian giving that I believe in.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (141) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's House And Jeeps (Picture) / Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / List Of Gods Born By A Virgin On 25th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.