Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (142685 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Candour(m): 2:12am On Feb 16, 2013
Hi Bro Bidam.did you see my definition? awaiting you bro
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 2:27am On Feb 16, 2013
Goshen..thanks for twisting what i said..if dats the way you read your bible am not at all surprised..you keep on viewing the OT as if it is not God's word..even Paul the apostle quoted copious portions of the OT to explain the New...concerning tithing permit me to say that you have a shallow revelation..you don't and can never understand why God instituted it to the nation of Isreal..why? Because you have your own view and personal interpretation of it..imagine you opening your mouth to make a ridicle of God by saying you were paying your tithes before and you were not blessed by God...your heart is not right with God..i tell u..your personal experiences with God is what determines your christain faith and not your quoting copious amount of scriptures on a forum to fool yourself..who is deceiveing who?

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 2:44am On Feb 16, 2013
Candour: Hi Bro Bidam.did you see my definition? awaiting you bro
yeah..my prob...is network sori..so we agree God instituted 3 tithing to isreal as a nation..have you ever asked yourself why would God go to such a lengthy details on such issues of offerings and sacrifices? We know isreal failed God..what u guys fail to see is that there is what is called typology and allegory..are you guys trying to take what God told the children of isreal literally? Or is it a typology? Or is it an allegory?don't tell me there is not a lesson we need to learn from the whole concepts of givings from the OT..don't look at what your pastor is saying but go back to God and ask Him why He instituted it...even when isreal had a king and pay their taxes ..they are still required to pay their tithes to the temple.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Candour(m): 3:08am On Feb 16, 2013
Bidam: yeah..my prob...is network sori..so we agree God instituted 3 tithing to isreal as a nation..have you ever asked yourself why would God go to such a lengthy details on such issues of offerings and sacrifices? We know isreal failed God..what u guys fail to see is that there is what is called typology and allegory..are you guys trying to take what God told the children of isreal literally? Or is it a typology? Or is it an allegory?don't tell me there is not a lesson we need to learn from the whole concepts of givings from the OT..don't look at what your pastor is saying but go back to God and ask Him why He instituted it...even when isreal had a king and pay their taxes ..they are still required to pay their tithes to the temple.

sorry about the network.

you know we dont need a special revelation to know God's intention for the Tithes.Its simply to enable the Levites and the priests face the job of sanctuary service squarely and totally(see Numbers 18:20).

I really dont know what typology and allegory has to do with this.If it's just an allegory then why institute it as a law for the church of God?

Of course it teaches a lot of lessons on welfare for the needy ones among us.

You know i started asking this questions and went on a quest to find out the truth when i discovered most pastors either didn't understand it or they were just plain deceitful about it because of it's implications for raising and spending money in church.so you see,i stopped relying on my pastor a long time ago to give me answers to issues like this.

Isreal was required to pay their Tithes to the temple,that we agree on.

Bro Bidam,you've still not answered the question.are we as christians meant to pay TITHES like Isreal? If yes,which of the 3 variants of Deut 14:22-29 do we adopt or is it all 3 so we can be seen to obey God's injuctions fully?

meanwhile you didn't do anything with the definition of love i gave you

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 3:44am On Feb 16, 2013
Bidam: Goshen..thanks for twisting what i said..if dats the way you read your bible am not at all surprised..you keep on viewing the OT as if it is not God's word..

This is how you manifest your when the truth hit you in the bone. When you don't understand what I said concerning the OT, you should ask questions rather than jumping into per-conceived conclusions. Haven't you seen on this forum that I teach from the OT? Haven't you seen me quote the OT? When did I say the OT is NOT God's word? Whatsoever is written aforehand is written for our learning. The Gospel had first being preached to Abraham....is that NOT OT? I don't think you even understand the purpose of the OT? Well, lemme not talk too much - I teach from the OT and what you have in the OT was ALL point to Christ, the Church and the New Testament. That's the simple truth about the Old Testament.

Bidam: even Paul the apostle quoted copious portions of the OT to explain the New...

When Paul quotes the OT, what was he bring out of it? Do you know? Here is it - He was bringing of the Gospel hidden in the OT and revealing the types and shadows which is NOW fulfilled in Christ and the Church to teach God's revelational truth.

Bidam: concerning tithing permit me to say that you have a shallow revelation..you don't and can never understand why God instituted it to the nation of Isreal..why? Because you have your own view and personal interpretation of it..

You're the very one insulting God here. How? You mean the same God that instituted tithe for national Israel FORGOT TO INSTRUCT THE CHURCH THROUGH CHRIST AND THE APOSTLES See how you're insulting God? I have my own view and interpretation? As if I'm quoting Goshen360's newly written scriptures? Just show us where tithing is mentioned to the Church or shut up else, you will be mocking God that he instituted it for Israel but FORGOT to mention it to the church.

Bidam: imagine you opening your mouth to make a ridicle of God by saying you were paying your tithes before and you were not blessed by God...your heart is not right with God..i tell u..your personal experiences with God is what determines your christain faith and not your quoting copious amount of scriptures on a forum to fool yourself..who is deceiveing who?

If my heart is right or wrong, let the word of God judge me. Okay. Yes, I was paying tithe then when I was lied to. When I was fed with lies. When I took everything my pastor said and obeyed in ignorance. That's sincerity but in ignorance. Do you know the promises of Malachi you people quoted for tithe payers?...I will open the WINDOWS OF HEAVEN and pour you out blessings that THERE WILL BE NO ROOM TO CONTAIN IT...you see it? I think we should ask you if you and other tithe payers already have UNCONTAINED blessings so much that you don't have space anymore since the years you've being paying tithe or you people are calling God a liar. How come greater % of Christians still tithe but still poor in that country Nigeria and around the world? You know why? God will NEVER bless what he NO LONGER APPROVES. Tithing had ended in Hebrews 7 and none of you have proved otherwise. Your Malachi says curse if no tithe, the NT says blessed because of you are IN CHRIST. Yet, you're flying in lies. They that worship God MUST worship is Spirit and TRUTH (not in Spirit and LIES or HERESY or FALSEHOOD)....That's the acceptable worship to God.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 8:25am On Feb 16, 2013
Goshen360:

A careful screening of your statements under the lens of the word of God proves that you know the truth with the phrase, "to my understanding" BUT you don't want to stand by or say the truth. The highlight also proves that you believe that IT WAS THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL that practiced 3 types of tithing. WHERE ARE THESE THREE TYPES OF TITHING COMMANDED TO THE CHURCH OR THE GENTILES The Bible in general at different dispensation was either written to the Jews, Gentiles or the Church of God - Where is tithe commandments for THE CHURCH Or the Church and the Children of Israel the same people?

Exodus 19:6 still refers to Israel NOT the Church with a New Covenant having the phrase, "thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel". Malachi 4:4 is same having the phrase, "law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him at Horeb for all Israel" the same thing - You people need to stop confusing what was written and addressed to the Jews and be applying it to the New Covenant Church, you're bring confusion into the Church and the body of Christ.

Hebrews 10:1 says the law was ONLY a SHADOW of GOOD THINGS but NOT the VERY GOOD things by itself. Colossians 2:17 says, the REALITY is found in Christ. Romans 10:4 says Christ is the END of the LAW. Hebrews 7:19 says the LAW made NOTHING perfect etc etc. The scripture is very clear the Christians OR THE CHURCH OF GOD ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO FOLLOW ANY JEWISH REGULATIONS.

Even that question came up only because of some so-called Christians there--false ones, really--who were secretly brought in. They sneaked in to spy on us and take away the freedom we have in Christ Jesus. They wanted to enslave us and force us to follow their Jewish regulations. - Galatians 2:4

We accept sacrificing goats and bull is gone but we don't accept tithing is gone What kind of interpretation is that? I tell you what is it - Selective Interpretation of scriptures.

If you like let it be 500 types of tithing whether quoting Deuteronomy 16:17 or not. When the Bible says Christ fulfilled the law and ended it, what business are you still trying to tell the Church of Christ to keep the law? We, Christians were NEVER under the law in the first place. We have NO business whatsoever OBEYING and KEEPING the law of Moses. Take a look,

(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,

New Living Translation (©2007)
Even Gentiles, who do not have God's [size=20pt]written law[/size], show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. - Romans 2:14

Again, Christians have not business OBEYING the law. What we're told is OBEDIENCE TO THE GOSPEL (2 Corinthians 9:13). If you want to follow Abraham obedience as an example, why do you go and offer your son also, if you have one. You just said, they were shadows and the fulfillment was found in Christ; then what is our business trying to fulfill ANOTHER SHADOWS if Christ had already fulfilled those shadows?

If the NT already fulfilled the Old. What then are you still looking for? What more do you want? That we should lay down our lives for the brethren doesn't mean we should kill ourselves for those Christ already died for. Abi you wan kill yourself ni. If you do, lemme tell you, your sacrifice will not make any difference, you go just die for nothing because Christ already offered the SINLESS and ETERNAL sacrifices for mankind. What can make earthly sacrifices for our brethren not killing ourselves for them. Say, if I have $100 I intend using for an important issue and I sacrifice that money for someone's MOST pressing need or life, that's LOVE and that's sacrifice.

People who don't take care to read your post very well will NOT notice the deceit in your post. You just said up there that 3 types of tithing was commanded to the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL. Here you're saying someone should give 10% of HIS LIFE. Do you even know what you're saying or you just wanna talk. If you're serious about what you're saying then simply show us the portion of tithe for the Church where you and I belongs as instructions for us to tithe.

The kingdom of God doesn't begin with 10% of our lives - it begins by giving our lives to God and then whatever every man can afford to support the advancement of God's kingdom on earth and in keeping up with our needs or living expenses. That's the NT instructions to the church. It has to come from the heart what we give NOT a MUST and legalistic tithing that wasn't even written to the church in the first place.

Don't lemme catch you talking rubbish again o cool
QED, QED, QED, QED, QED, QED
Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 9:00am On Feb 16, 2013
@Goshen and Candour, God bless for these last 4-5 posts, ur sincerity, temperances, patience, wisdom and CANDOUR shows how much you love the Lord and ur commitment to the gospel truth. @Bidam i want to respectfully request that you spend time and prayerfully study bros Goshen and Candour recent posts in this thread, it will bless you. Peace
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 16, 2013
Goshen360:

This is how you manifest your when the truth hit you in the bone. When you don't understand what I said concerning the OT, you should ask questions rather than jumping into per-conceived conclusions. Haven't you seen on this forum that I teach from the OT? Haven't you seen me quote the OT? When did I say the OT is NOT God's word? Whatsoever is written aforehand is written for our learning. The Gospel had first being preached to Abraham....is that NOT OT? I don't think you even understand the purpose of the OT? Well, lemme not talk too much - I teach from the OT and what you have in the OT was ALL point to Christ, the Church and the New Testament. That's the simple truth about the Old Testament.

When Paul quotes the OT, what was he bring out of it? Do you know? Here is it - He was bringing of the Gospel hidden in the OT and revealing the types and shadows which is NOW fulfilled in Christ and the Church to teach God's revelational truth.

You're the very one insulting God here. How? You mean the same God that instituted tithe for national Israel FORGOT TO INSTRUCT THE CHURCH THROUGH CHRIST AND THE APOSTLES See how you're insulting God? I have my own view and interpretation? As if I'm quoting Goshen360's newly written scriptures? Just show us where tithing is mentioned to the Church or shut up else, you will be mocking God that he instituted it for Israel but FORGOT to mention it to the church.

If my heart is right or wrong, let the word of God judge me. Okay. Yes, I was paying tithe then when I was lied to. When I was fed with lies. When I took everything my pastor said and obeyed in ignorance. That's sincerity but in ignorance. Do you know the promises of Malachi you people quoted for tithe payers?...I will open the WINDOWS OF HEAVEN and pour you out blessings that THERE WILL BE NO ROOM TO CONTAIN IT...you see it? I think we should ask you if you and other tithe payers already have UNCONTAINED blessings so much that you don't have space anymore since the years you've being paying tithe or you people are calling God a liar. How come greater % of Christians still tithe but still poor in that country Nigeria and around the world? You know why? God will NEVER bless what he NO LONGER APPROVES. Tithing had ended in Hebrews 7 and none of you have proved otherwise. Your Malachi says curse if no tithe, the NT says blessed because of you are IN CHRIST. Yet, you're flying in lies. They that worship God MUST worship is Spirit and TRUTH (not in Spirit and LIES or HERESY or FALSEHOOD)....That's the acceptable worship to God.
keep speaking lies in hypocrisy(1 tim4 :2)

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 16, 2013
Candour:

sorry about the network.

you know we dont need a special revelation to know God's intention for the Tithes.Its simply to enable the Levites and the priests face the job of sanctuary service squarely and totally(see Numbers 18:20).

I really dont know what typology and allegory has to do with this.If it's just an allegory then why institute it as a law for the church of God?

Of course it teaches a lot of lessons on welfare for the needy ones among us.

You know i started asking this questions and went on a quest to find out the truth when i discovered most pastors either didn't understand it or they were just plain deceitful about it because of it's implications for raising and spending money in church.so you see,i stopped relying on my pastor a long time ago to give me answers to issues like this.

Isreal was required to pay their Tithes to the temple,that we agree on.

Bro Bidam,you've still not answered the question.are we as christians meant to pay TITHES like Isreal? If yes,which of the 3 variants of Deut 14:22-29 do we adopt or is it all 3 so we can be seen to obey God's injuctions fully?

meanwhile you didn't do anything with the definition of love i gave you

Thanks a lot

bro...go back to your first love..your pastor may not have all the answers and i don't either..but truth is tithing is a spiritual principle...don't let any one deceive with hypocritical teachings and doctrines of demons..you have been right for the past 25yrs only for you to start straying from the path of truth..if truly God spoke to you not to tithe anymore, then i will rest my case..ur personal search might have been mixed up with heretic modern day teachings that tithing is not biblical..agreed the NT emphasis on tithing is to say the least skeletal but that doesn't negate the fact that it wasn't practised by the early church..Ola gave scriptures on that only for Goshen to say otherwise..may God help us..

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 1:33pm On Feb 16, 2013
Bidam: bro...go back to your first love..your pastor may not have all the answers and i don't either..but truth is tithing is a spiritual principle...don't let any one deceive with hypocritical teachings and doctrines of demons..you have been right for the past 25yrs only for you to start straying from the path of truth..if truly God spoke to you not to tithe anymore, then i will rest my case..ur personal search might have been mixed up with heretic modern day teachings that tithing is not biblical..agreed the NT emphasis on tithing is to say the least skeletal but that doesn't negate the fact that it wasn't practised by the early church..Ola gave scriptures on that only for Goshen to say otherwise..may God help us..
my brother dont fool urself, Ola never quoted any verse to support tith because there is none. Now if you want us to start all over again. Pls show us a verse in the NT where CHRISTIANS ARE COMMANDED TO PAY TITH, to help you remember the NT began after Christ's death. Am looking forward to this revelation. God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 1:59pm On Feb 16, 2013
Bidam: bro...go back to your first love..your pastor may not have all the answers and i don't either..but truth is tithing is a spiritual principle...don't let any one deceive with hypocritical teachings and doctrines of demons..you have been right for the past 25yrs only for you to start straying from the path of truth..if truly God spoke to you not to tithe anymore, then i will rest my case..ur personal search might have been mixed up with heretic modern day teachings that tithing is not biblical..agreed the NT emphasis on tithing is to say the least skeletal but that doesn't negate the fact that it wasn't practised by the early church..Ola gave scriptures on that only for Goshen to say otherwise..may God help us..
an inoscent man is set free by an impartial judge from prison and you are telling him dont mind the judge o, go back to prison, bro thats SATANIC. @Candour i thank God for you and ur sound posts in this thread, am blessed to have met you, Goshen, Frosbel, Kun etc. Peace to all.

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Candour(m): 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2013

Thanks for your honesty @the bolded.Always remember no one knows by himself.only the bible does.the fact that you met TITHES being paid in Christendom doesn't make it right.Thats why Jesus Christ admonished in John 5:39 to search the scriptures which is what the Berean Christians did in Acts 17:11 after listening to Paul.If they couldn't accept the teachings of the great Apostle Paul without first consulting the scriptures,then pls DO NOT accept the teachings of any MOG by whatever name called without you checking through the bible.Also dont rely on just one bible verse.I'll give you a hint here;the bible always interpretes itself with more than one verse.to see the truth of Mal 3:8-10, you MUST relate it to Deut 14:22-29 and Num 18:1-32.there are others even in Nehemiah 10,11 &12 but am sure a close and indepth study of these will clear your doubts.

I didn't mix up any heretical teaching my brother.I arrived @ the truth myself by the help of the Holy Spirit and you can do same.

Happy to have talked to you.wish you all the best grin

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Candour(m): 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2013
christemmbassey: @Goshen and Candour, God bless for these last 4-5 posts, ur sincerity, temperances, patience, wisdom and CANDOUR shows how much you love the Lord and ur commitment to the gospel truth. @Bidam i want to respectfully request that you spend time and prayerfully study bros Goshen and Candour recent posts in this thread, it will bless you. Peace

My dear Christemmbassey.thanks a lot.i'm really glad to have met you and i hope we have more fruitful engagement in the word not only on this forum but even in person.Goshen,Pastor Kun,Frosbel,Jil,Bidam,Oladeegbu,Image123 etc i appreciate you all my brothers.we might argue but we must ''endeavour to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of Peace'' while we study to show ourselves approved unto God,a workman that needed not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth.

God bless you all grin

N/B:taking a sabbathical from nairaland.should be back in a forthnite.see u then

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:01pm On Feb 16, 2013
Candour:

I dont think OLADEEGBU sees it in the same way properity teachers see it.you can see he and Joagbaje being diametrically opposed on the PROSPERITY GOSPEL thread he opened.I believe he just cares about christians funding legitimate church programs which is not a bad idea.since i started attending Deeperlife Dec retreat in 1986 as a child,i have always been amazed at how a church can feed thousands of people with three square meals for 5-7 days consecutively without asking for a RETREAT OFFERING.Dec 2012 was no exception and i remember my younger brother whom i went with saying 'bros,i must chop this rice wey dey fire so' because we packed close to the kitchen(Rumuodara camp ground) and you couldn't ignore the sweet aroma of the food which indicated it must be of high quality.there was still no call for retreat ofeering.Infact offering was actually taken only once throughout the retreat and it was on a sunday.

So pls dont tar him with the same brush.the argument is that we believe christians are no longer bound by the 10% law of Moses but are at liberty now to give something or not to give anything as their spirit leads them.this is my understanding of GRACE and i've asked him to explain matthew 23:23 he quoted earlier.

If my explanation of the above verse does not suffice let Dr. R.C. Sproul explain it to you in the article:

Is tithing wrong?

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/is-tithing-wrong/
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 16, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by EMILO2STAY(m): 10:56pm On Feb 16, 2013
liar's trying their best, show me where the bible said tithe is a spiritual principle and i will shut up. A spiritual principle which the holy spirit did not reveal to the early apostles but ur pastor of today...spiritual principle indeed.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by brilapluz(m): 12:06am On Feb 17, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Will a man rob God? - R.C. Sproul

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/will-man-rob-god/
wat a scripture-less article 2 prove in vain dat u must tithe..if u want 2 tithe or observe one of d laws,accordin 2 paul,y not do all of dem(offer burnd offerings,etc),instead of hand-pickn just one(tithe) -gal 5:3

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Boomark(m): 12:54pm On Feb 17, 2013
christemmbassey: QED, QED, QED, QED, QED, QED

YES, YES, YES, FULLSTOP . cheesy

If tithe is important in the new covenant, they should show us where the apostles taught the GENTILES(or new converts) how to tithe and its importance.

Or did the apostles assume that those who are not Jews already know how to tithe?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Boomark(m): 1:22pm On Feb 17, 2013
@Bidam

Someone can also be wrong for more than 100yrs without knowing the truth.

This is where you will get the truth, not from people that are taught to follow a particular doctrine. Am not saying you shouldn't listen to your pastors but when they tell you that what they are teaching you is a mystery, then you should beware.

All truth as regards our service to God Almighty has been revealed to us by the Holyspirit.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 1:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
Boomark: @Bidam

This is where you will get the truth, not from people that are taught to follow a particular doctrine. Am not saying you shouldn't listen to your pastors but when they tell you that what they are teaching you is a mystery, then you should beware.

All truth as regards our service to God Almighty has been revealed to us by the Holyspirit.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 1:46pm On Feb 17, 2013
Boomark: @Bidam

Saul(Paul) was wrong untill he met Christ. The ppl that preach tith have not met Christ or are greedy.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 12:26am On Feb 18, 2013
i am back and better ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i paid my tithes today.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 1:12am On Feb 18, 2013
Image123: i am back and better ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i paid my tithes today.

Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; - Matthew 23:5

Today! This scripture is fulfilled in your eyes/ears cool
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 1:44am On Feb 18, 2013
Goshen360:

Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; - Matthew 23:5

Today! This scripture is fulfilled in your eyes/ears cool
Fortunately, tithe is not everything i do. I've done many other things, good things today. My post is relevant to the thread. have you paid your tithe? You lied about setting aside a tenth and sharing it with others, using it to drink ogogoro etc. Remember? This passage didn't pop up when you were telling us that abi?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 7:42am On Feb 18, 2013
Image123: i am back and better ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i paid my tithes today.

Hypocrite which tithe did you pay in the middle of the month Is it from your salary which is not due till month end or the egunje you amassed during the week as a civil servant?

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 9:31am On Feb 18, 2013

This is what the Lord Himself said about modern pharisees like you:

Luke 18:9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable:
10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:46am On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If my explanation of the above verse does not suffice let Dr. R.C. Sproul explain it to you in the article:

Is tithing wrong?

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/is-tithing-wrong/

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
-- Matthew 23:23-24

Is Tithing Wrong?
from R.C. Sproul Oct 09, 2010 Category: R.C. Sproul

Jesus criticized the Pharisees for their legalistic attention to tithing. Was he saying that tithing was wrong?

Jesus certainly took the Pharisees to task for their hypocrisy. In Matthew 23, we find a long list of woes that Jesus pronounced upon these religious leaders. In the midst of that monologue, He said, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. (v. 23). We must be careful as we analyze this verse. Jesus was not attacking the Pharisees for their attention to tithing. Rather, He was pointing out that they had failed to give the same attention to other matters that they gave to tithing. Nowhere in this verse does Jesus say they were wrong to tithe. In fact, He says they should be giving the same level of attention to what He called "weightier matters," such as justice, mercy, and faith, but not at the expense of tithing. They needed to do both, not abandon tithing to tackle more important things.

It is interesting that our Lord did not include tithing among the "weightier matters" of the law. That doesn’t mean God won’t be upset if we rob Him by failing to tithe. But it does imply that tithing is a small thing in the sense that it is one of the easiest things to do in the Christian life. It’s so easy, even the hypocritical Pharisees could handle it. But we often find it to be one of the hardest disciplines to begin and maintain.

Taken from 5 Things Every Christian Needs to Grow.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 9:57am On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
-- Matthew 23:23-24

Here we go again. You keep recycling the same old argument to justify your profitable but unbiblical cash cow. Look at whom the statement was directed at. Are you a scribe or a pharisee?

We have asked you countless times to produce a single verse where Christians were directed to tithe and you have failed to do so.

Please, refrain from recycling the old stale argument that doesn't hold water and provide solid biblical proof where Christians where told to give a tenth.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:35am On Feb 18, 2013
JIL:

Here we go again. You keep recycling the same old argument to justify your profitable but unbiblical cash cow. Look at whom the statement was directed at. Are you a scribe or a pharisee?

We have asked you countless times to produce a single verse where Christians were directed to tithe and you have failed to do so.

Please, refrain from recycling the old stale argument that doesn't hold water and provide solid biblical proof where Christians where told to give a tenth.

Are you a Christian? If the answer is no, then disregard whatever I said but if the answer is yes then do what our Lord Jesus Christ said.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 10:57am On Feb 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Are you a Christian? If the answer is no, then disregard whatever I said but if the answer is yes then do what our Lord Jesus Christ said.

Olodo was Jesus addressing pharisees who were under the law or christians who are under grace? Or is the law still in effect now as Jesus made it clear he was speaking about tithes according to the now obsolete law. You are just a deceitful thief, a very poor excuse for a christian.

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 11:10am On Feb 18, 2013
God is not a respecter of persons,is He? Even if He was addressing house flies, it would be wisdom for you to pay attention (and pay tithes tongue). Go to the ant thou sluggard, consider her ways and be wise.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53am On Feb 18, 2013
Image123:

God is not a respecter of persons,is He? Even if He was addressing house flies, it would be wisdom for you to pay attention (and pay tithes tongue). Go to the ant thou sluggard, consider her ways and be wise.

grin grin grin That was a good one. I hope he goes to the ants he might just learn a lesson or two there.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (141) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's House And Jeeps (Picture) / Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / List Of Gods Born By A Virgin On 25th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.