Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi (57317 Views)

How To Upgrade Your ND And HND Certificate To BSC - See Step / Best Way To Upgrade Hnd Certificate / Hnd Holders, Universities With Hnd To Bsc Conversion Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by delta1: 12:27pm On Feb 22, 2013
Well 2 me,I prefer HND holders 2 Bsc cos they have they basic knowledges because they have more work experience than d Bsc guys.the HND holders undergo 4mths siwes after ND 1,then 1yr Industrial training before going back for HND. So u can see d difference,BSc only goes for 4mths Industrial training.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by delta1: 1:26pm On Feb 22, 2013
Well 2 me,I prefer HND holders 2 Bsc cos they have they basic knowledges because they have more work experience than d Bsc guys.the HND holders undergo 4mths siwes after ND 1,then 1yr Industrial training before going back for HND. So u can see d difference,BSc only goes for 4mths Industrial training.Proud Maritime Academy of Nigeria,
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by BillyBayou: 2:02pm On Feb 22, 2013
A Graduate of Elect/Elect engineering, Major in Power and Machine from The Federal Polytechnic, Ede, Osun state. I presently work with Dangote Cement Plant as an Instrument Engineer... The above profile is was supplied as deemed necessary †̥ drive home a point. As much as possible, I wȋ̊ℓℓ try †̥ βε̲̣ objective and drift from being biased. I Ħv been working with graduates from both sides for two years and can boldly say that I Ħv hardly noticed any major difference or gap in theoretical knowledge from candidate representing both institution, while on a practical platform, the HND grads in most cases fare better that Uni grads ( I obviously Ħv not seen Ȋ̊† A̶̲̥̅ƪƪ)... I believe Ȋ̊† goes beyond the institution like some response already mentioned but rather more about the individual.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by NOLONGTIN1(m): 2:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
The writer missed the aims/objective of polythecnics and Universitys. Polythecnics are to provide graduates with skilled labour while universities Reasearch graduates.
I don't believe a lecturer with phd is better than another without it. There is a difference between having phd and being able to impact knowledge on your students.
I was fortunate to attend both Unilag and Yct and I learnt a great deal from both but I consider mr. Lawal (one of my programming lecturer) the best lecturer and he didn't have phd (as at 2006).
I'm practical-oriented because of Yct, although i used my B.sc to secured my job.
Bottom line: they serve different purposes Hnd (skilled labour/practical) and B.sc (certificate 'kpali')

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by j4sure(m): 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2013
It is a sad situation that youth are also engaging in dis unfruitful discussion.when we al suppose to think and work the way forward for our great country.
mr university or mrs polytechnic gradute what have you achieve so far in life and how many lives have you impacted.

Now that you gat ur Bsc,Btech,HND, where u dey work?
How many lives have u mentor?

can somebody tell me the qualification that the following pple has Tuface,Debanji,Mikel Obi,Kanu
Larry Page(Google),Mark zuckerberg(facebk Founder)etc

do u know most chinese that work with construction company in Nigeria are not graduate but they come to dis great country to control all of una wey dey make noise
Mr Bsc& Mrs Hnd
Wake up to reality.
we had better wake up from this unproductive talk and think how to improve our country.
God Bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by iwanchop(m): 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2013
erickajay: Whenever I think of the job opportunities I missed because I have HND, I feel like tearing the stupid paper. HND is nothing but a waste of time. I even tried and did my pgd, but the University won't admit me for my Msc the reason is because I graduated from a polytechnic. Even with pgd the stigma is still there HND is nothing but a dieses.

To you HND may be a useless certificate but some other guys are making millions with it.Who says getting a university degree is the key to success?

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Doluseun(m): 3:20pm On Feb 22, 2013
the problem with nigeria education system is not about the dichotomy of hnd and degree alone.

but the system that churned out the half baked graduates. be it a university or a poly,these class of institutions are under equiped to

even give out a world class graduates as it entails.

although there are some unis and polys that are good for nigeria standard but not upto world standard.

i have some polytecnics that i really gave so much respect to.

e.g. fedpoly ede,
fedpoly bida,
ibadan poly,
kadpoly, yabatech,
adopoly,
esa oke poly, e.t.c.

these schools above a far better than some top nigerian uni both in standard , facilities and type of graduate they churned out.

P:S...all nigeria grads are only worthy in naija alone.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Electronzeez(m): 4:01pm On Feb 22, 2013
I am a polytechnic student yes we might be taught by lecturers that have below masters as degree.bt d question is,the thousands of proffessors taken nigerian universities...how many research discovery have they contributed to the world? And someone is here talking about proffessor..,we have so many proffessors and nigeria is far behind in technology.no wonder a proffessor in benin said he discovered the cure to aids.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by iwanchop(m): 4:10pm On Feb 22, 2013
I graduated from a polytechnic in 2007 and got 3 good jobs (on merit)after my youth service.
In getting those jobs I dusted a lot of university graduates,so what are u people talking about?
For me it's not about where u graduated from but what you as an individual have in stock (ur brain) in ur chosen field.
There are polytechnic graduates that are better than their university counterparts and vice-versa.
No university graduate can confidently come out to say he/she is better than all polytechnic graduates.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by timjones1(m): 4:15pm On Feb 22, 2013
nice one man
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by ade2kay(m): 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2013
Interesting thread, but this issue is just an over-flogged issue.

To the HND graduate, simply get your Bsc degree and quit whining.
I am a graduate of Adopoly, and believe me, it has been fun in the labour market. This is my 5th job, i change jobs every 2yrs, salary more than 5times what i started with.

I'm lucky to be in a field where your output is more regarded than your degree or certifications.

Bottom line, a graduate's performance is not measured by the type of degree or lecturers who tutored you (tho' it culd).
In this internet era, a self-taught graduate from the worst poly in Nigeria can have access to what a student at Stanford or Harvard has... thanks to youtube.

We are all in Nigeria, the education sector and employment is all bleeped up...deal with that and stop the useless comparisons.

If HND holder come establish company, make una Bsc holders no gree work there unto say na HND get the company.

Useless country, dull citizens.

Countries like China, Japan, USA, even South korea, Brazil are making progress, useless people debating HND vs Bsc.
The disparity is a way to give a false sense of advantage to Bsc holders so as to lay claim to the few available jobs.

Abeg, make una continue to waste una time, boys gat money to make....idiots !

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by kinggenesis(m): 5:25pm On Feb 22, 2013
ade2kay: Interesting thread, but this issue is just an over-flogged issue.

To the HND graduate, simply get your Bsc degree and quit whining.
I am a graduate of Adopoly, and believe me, it has been fun in the labour market. This is my 5th job, i change jobs every 2yrs, salary more than 5times what i started with.

I'm lucky to be in a field where your output is more regarded than your degree or certifications.

Bottom line, a graduate's performance is not measured by the type of degree or lecturers who tutored you (tho' it culd).
In this internet era, a self-taught graduate from the worst poly in Nigeria can have access to what a student at Stanford or Harvard has... thanks to youtube.

We are all in Nigeria, the education sector and employment is all bleeped up...deal with that and stop the useless comparisons.

If HND holder come establish company, make una Bsc holders no gree work there unto say na HND get the company.

Useless country, dull citizens.

Countries like China, Japan, USA, even South korea, Brazil are making progress, useless people debating HND vs Bsc.
The disparity is a way to give a false sense of advantage to Bsc holders so as to lay claim to the few available jobs.

Abeg, make una continue to waste una time, boys gat money to make....idiots !
Guy....... You dey vex ooo

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by elklehamite(m): 5:54pm On Feb 22, 2013
To start with, i must say am happy seeing many contributions here with objectivity.Even some university graduates spoke 4rm objective point of view not minding that university is their constituency and i believe these are the category of university graduates that you 'll discover actually passed through university & university passed through them.They have the intellect,exposure,knowledge etc. Unlike the half baked university graduates that goes about bragging,both in the office environment and even on NAIRALAND, give them simple memo to draft for you in the office they can't with their so called 2.1 4rm the university,we have many of them in my office.No matter the discrimination/dichotomy placed between the two certificate/graduates in the work place which of course I am a victim,I am still proud of polytechnic, a proud HND graduates no matter what anyone think about it and so i expect of any quality polytechnic graduate.I graduated 4rm OKOPOLY and i know the stuff am made of.If university graduates like let them continue in their sentiment and Government can as well continue in their discrimination,time shall tell.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by bigboa: 8:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
The essential reason for the disparity in the qualifications lies in the original purposes the institutions were conceptualized for. The aim of a mono/polytechnic is to produce a 'technician' I.e. a highly skilled craftsman while that of a university is to produce a more rounded individual. That is why a mono/polytechnic emphasizes physical work (eg fitting, machining, welding etc for engineering) while a University focuses on giving an individual a rounded education (This is also apparent from the btech vs bsc conundrum). The idea is to prepare different types of people: The Engineer and the Technician, the Accountant and the bookkeeper, the Doctor and the nurse.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by klerry(m): 9:18pm On Feb 22, 2013
ROTFL

miz4oxley: Yeah, cool write up. But, pls provide good jobs for the Bsc guys roaming our streets and withdraw the Dangote Phd graduates ok. Uni, Poly, NCE.... Only jah will bless pls. My Boss, and his partner are both Poly graduates. Lo and behold they conquer their mates in their endeavours who are Uni grads k. GEJ is a Phd holder! Tell me the difference?
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by meerah25(f): 9:32pm On Feb 22, 2013
FXKing2012:
Pls somebody should advise this girl to stop exposing herself in public. Really, why are you doing this to yourself? Pls re-read your quoted post, does it make any form of sense even to you? Cant you see your written English has a foul smell all over it? Everybody is advising you yet you keep littering this thread with your 'gbagaun' thinking you know English grammar.

Blah blah blah! i can't believe iam giving attention to jambite. . .i won't blame your level of IQ and ignorance. . .you have far to go, now i know better. . .but you can prove me wrong by posting your B.sc certificate here. . .lets see your sense of reasoning,thats if you got one
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by FXKing2012(m): 9:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
meerah25:

Blah blah blah! i can't believe iam giving attention to jambite. . .i won't blame your level of IQ and ignorance. . .you have far to go, now i know better. . .but you can prove me wrong by posting your B.sc certificate here. . .lets see your sense of reasoning,thats if you got one
Seriously, could you for once write a complete sentence without errors? Why is that so impossible for you to do? What does "you have far to go" mean? If this is the kind of product produced by our polytechnics then we are doomed as a country.

You are an embarassment to your school and a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the Nigerian education system.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by nanalady(f): 10:49pm On Feb 22, 2013
hakuna matata:
YES! YES! YES! But only if the Uni grads are from OSU Or LASU & especially studying BIZ ADMIN
frankly, these 2 schools shld be christened Poly-OSU or poly-LASU!!! cool
lmao

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by remzytimer: 11:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
It's always very annoying and very biased of our govt, I stand in here ably representing polytechnics and as an alumni of Lagos state polytechnic from the department of accountancy dt all our lecturers are ICAN professionals and we've been drilled extensively, with my lower credit u must be a genius or a university distinction candidate before u can contend with me,this has been proved severally...i know one day all this discrepancy will come to an end.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Ayor93(m): 1:58am On Feb 23, 2013
kenzspunpy:

HND doesn't suck young man. I hold one and I got two jobs at the same time ( one with the Federal Government and the other with an oil and gas company), 3 months after my NYSC, purely on merit. I only know God and no one else. All I needed was an opportunity to compete. I think this idea of HND/ B.Sc disparity is neither here nor there. If you are good and you have the opportunity to compete, with the grace of God, you will get a good job. Afterall, millions of university graduates are equally unemployed. And if I may add, the OP gave an erroneous impression that Polytechnic lecturers are deficient academic- wise. That's not totally true. I studied Mining Engineering at the Federal Polytechnic, Ado- Ekiti and there are FOUR Ph.D. Holders at the department. Go and cross-check! As a student, I've gone on field trips with University students, and it's clear most of them are not as good as we( polytechnic students) are. Infact, most of these univerisity students don't even have access to the equipment and laboratory my department has.
I Rep federal poly ado too..an undergraduate tho
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by hakunamatata1: 6:04am On Feb 23, 2013
stupor:

I hate jelousies and the original OP is one of them.its clearly shown in its write-up that he has also seen recently an extra-amazing Poly-grad.

To add to yours sir,In Ife OAU,I know a OND accounting holder that teaches almost all the accounting students extra-curricular lessOns including their final year students while he also gets paid.

His lesson institutiòn was called GOPAB :Group of Professional Accountants and Bankers.he solely teaches all the other students and his seniors at OAU,ife,way back 2O00-2005.

He finished from Osun State College of Tech,Esa-OKE with OND Accounting,made the Direct Entry list at Ife to study Acct and at the same time runs his HND Acct.concurrently at The College of Technology,Esa Oke.

Ask of GOPAB in Ife if it still exists,it was founded by young and highly intelligent OND holders from Osun State College of Tech.Esa-Oke.

This is actually true and confirmed.

Please always respect other people's qualification even when you know they can be better than you,its all for our own benefits !

Stop the hate and jealousies !
.......really? but y shld uni grads B jealous when they r @ a better vantage point?
u can even claim GOPAB or whatever its called even teaches Dr Oribabor (their HOD as at then) mstcheeeeeeeew! pls cut ur exaggerations abeg! anybody can claim to teach Uni freshers if they hav a prior tertiary experience elsewhere. but d tutelage ends in the foundatnl years (part 1 & 2) how many final yr students do u see chasing tutorial centres?.......u certainly havnt seen the inner walls of a Uni. & u talk outta ignorance.
& i know ur GOPAB will def. change its name l8r after passing thru a Uni himself. thats part of d refinement a uni educatn does to u. its called BRANDING & PACKAGING! They dont teach that in poly either!
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by samilo88(m): 7:25am On Feb 23, 2013
meerah25:

I understand your pain,but the truth most be told. . .common but you read my post and reply right . . .does that means iam good?. .we been reading stories on the media about universities graduate who can't speak neither write their names in English. . .who is the gym joker now?
I won't start exchanging words with you because clearly now I can confirm you don't measure up. You are one of those giving Polytechnic education a bad name from the way you write. I don't rate any form of education above the other because they all serve their different purposes. An advice, please don't ever castigate a Uni graduate, u aren't in d shoes to do that. I'm just replying you but sincerely I tried as much as possible to comprehend what you wrote all to no avail.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by samilo88(m): 7:43am On Feb 23, 2013
meerah25:

You this good for nothing girl. You calling someone who wrote complete and correct sentences a jambite whereas you so called "graduate" can't write a simple and correct sentence in all your posts. We'll like to know the polytechnic you graduated from. You are a disgrace to polytechnic education. Go get a life and stop fooling yourself on a faceless social network.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by james1(m): 7:56am On Feb 23, 2013
lecturers sell handouts like crazy;be it poly,uni.even computer schools sell handouts.
True as the other writer observed,most nigerian lecturers are getting too lazy about research,the federal ministry of education has not been helping matters all these years though.
Its totally out of place for the government of the land to deliberately place one certificate above the other when in essence they should be on same level,employers of labour here are not helping matters either as they ougt not to be looking only at certificates but putting all to the test to prove themselves in their respective fields.how many of us certificate totting can prove ourselves when push comes to shove?
There is nothing compared to a research grant where all the reseach inclined institutions in the land can go and access money for their reseach work.
I trust the goodluck administration is working on this.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Vires: 7:58am On Feb 23, 2013
For those saying right from their 100 level, they were taught by different Drs n Profs, what did u expect that's how a university is suppose to function

On the hand, Polys were set up for skill acquisition, so even if you were not taught by Drs and Profs, It DOSEN'T MEAN you were not well taught

The two were set up for different reasons, its over the years the whole thing got muddled up!!!

For a society to function, ALL professions must be well represented, practical or theoretical

Its the Nigerian System where things do not function properly, that started all this unnecessary discrimination
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by Ninapha(f): 10:17am On Feb 23, 2013
ronnyfam: It's really sad ,if you have an OND or HND I will indulge you to get a university degree if you don't want to regret later in life or be enslave Nigeria educations sucks
. Its quite a pity u talk like this. The writer made some points but i tell u this, whichever institution, does not make u. U determine where u wish to be. Some poly graduates are at d helm of affairs of great coys. Initially these insitutions were established for different reasons, but today, the Nigerian factor is grounding that reason. If u are a poly graduate dont sit and seek pity, read on and get to where u wish to be. Its not where u are startn but where u are ending it all. I hv seen worse uni graduates and i tell u its not abt ur sch but abt U. Dont be intimidated. If u stop at HND or Bsc, u are still not educated enough to belong!

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by ishmael(m): 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2013
The truth is that poly graduates are trained to work in industries and not civil service. They believe that hnd holders don't really have a significant role to play in the civil service, and hence the discrimination. Until the national assembly decides to look into this it will continue like that. If u plan to work in the industry where ur practical skills will be appreciated, or if u plan to be self employed, go to polytechnic and get the skills. But if u want to work for the govt and other corporate organisations where u will progress well to the top, pls go to a uni and get a degree.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by jmslimx(m): 1:44pm On Feb 23, 2013
x-fire:

@ jmslimx, Abia state poly is one of the worst institutions I know. It suffers from very poor quality of undergraduates, over-population of students (extremely large student/lecturer ratio) and poor infrastructure. You can hardly see an Abia poly student speak or write English properly. Level of exposure amongst students is very low and 'sorting' of lecturers is commonplace.

You might be right at some extend when you categorize it to departments .. My department was the best of all polytechnic last year and during the period i was in there we where also the best go check computer science department
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by elklehamite(m): 3:12pm On Feb 23, 2013
I advise if there is any one in Government that is participating in this Forum to drop sentiment and take this matter up with the arms(National Assembly and Executive) of government that are in position to find lasting solution to this dichotomy/discrimination between the two graduates/institutions,it is very unnecessary and unhealthy to the Nigerian economy.The polytechnic have its own peculiarity and as such,the graduates should be allowed reach the peak of their career void of discrimination of any kind.
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by ishmael(m): 5:19pm On Feb 23, 2013
elklehamite: I advise if there is any one in Government that is participating in this Forum to drop sentiment and take this matter up with the arms(National Assembly and Executive) of government that are in position to find lasting solution to this dichotomy/discrimination between the two graduates/institutions,it is very unnecessary and unhealthy to the Nigerian economy.The polytechnic have its own peculiarity and as such,the graduates should be allowed reach the peak of their career void of discrimination of any kind.
They are aware of it. Imagine, in all the paramilitary services they have 2 cadres - superintendant cadre and inspectorate cadre. They have different rank structures and different functions to perform. The sup cadre is for uni graduates, and they can rise up to level 17. The inspectorate cadre is for HND and NCE holders. They cannot go beyond chief inspector which is level 12. The national assembly members, Head of service, and ministers are all aware of it. In the military there is no such dichotomy for short service officers who come in with HND or Bsc. What is wrong with our paramilitary services and civil service?
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by meerah25(f): 10:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
FXKing2012:
Seriously, could you for once write a complete sentence without errors? Why is that so impossible for you to do? What does "you have far to go" mean? If this is the kind of product produced by our polytechnics then we are doomed as a country.

You are an embarassment to your school and a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the Nigerian education system.

Oh my God! You are still barking your stupidity? Get a life. . .i told you to prove if you are not a jambite. . .do i have to repeat myself to you?i live with university graduates who can't speak English neather write application. . .how many university graduates that study computer science as a course that can't operate computers?i lost count. . .recently a mass communication graduate from one of the university could'nt operate studio camera,while an OND student from the polytechnic have to guide him. . .my facts are endless if iam to draw a list. . .who is the Big Embrrassment here?
Re: The Problem With HND Certificate – By Femi Olabisi by meerah25(f): 10:26pm On Feb 23, 2013
samilo88:
I won't start exchanging words with you because clearly now I can confirm you don't measure up. You are one of those giving Polytechnic education a bad name from the way you write. I don't rate any form of education above the other because they all serve their different purposes. An advice, please don't ever castigate a Uni graduate, u aren't in d shoes to do that. I'm just replying you but sincerely I tried as much as possible to comprehend what you wrote all to no avail.

I said what i see. . .back your facts with references. . .then we ll talk about who measure up or not,if you got none,kindly step back!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Black Panther In UNILAG Final Year Medical Exam Question (photo) / Most People Don't Know That These Words Exist. / Covenant University Final Year Student Forced To Shave Beard By Lecturer(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.