Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? (46881 Views)

Re : Man Is Not The Head Of The Family / Men Are NOT The HEAD Of The Family! Read My Reason! / Is A Jobless Man The Head Of His Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by WesleyanA(f): 3:40am On Sep 24, 2005
i love you so much shief. cheesy you hit the nail right on the head perfectly!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by mide2(f): 4:33am On Dec 21, 2005
I TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE with the notion that man's the head of a family. Except you just want the title. At this day and age, we are nothing but equals. The man fends for the family and so do the woman. There are alot of househusbands now.... i mean stay at home dad whose job is to look after the kids, cook the meals and keep the house tidy whilst the woman goes out to bring daily bread home. it's not wierd, it's just as normal as the woman doing it next door. 

And as for the Bible stuff, God created man in his image, did he say woman wasn't in is image? And as for creating 1st, that has been sorted out in sheif's post. The one about creating woman from man's ''rib''.....some version says ''side'' which signifies a simple logic which i think God is trying to pass across........

I DIDN'T MAKE WOMAN FROM MAN'S HEAD because SHE ISN'T HIGHER  (Not the Leader)

I DIDN'T MAKE HER FROM HIS FOOT because SHE ISN'T LOWER  (Not the subordinate or follower)

I MADE HER FROM HIS SIDE because SHE IS HIS[b] EQUAL[/b] (side by side, meaning the same)

But u know what ? U GUYS CAN GET TO KEEP THE NAME/TITLE.    Looks more like u.doesn't it ?cheesy
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by gina34(f): 11:49am On Dec 21, 2005
hmmmmmmmm,@mide2 , u are great. kiss wink
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by jayvinnie(m): 10:24pm On Feb 08, 2006
b/because the man has the duty to the family
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by jayvinnie(m): 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2006
WHAT IS THE  DUTY OF THE HEAD OF THE MAN
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by mikun(f): 11:33am On Feb 09, 2006
Shief, you said is so perfectly.
Men are the head because the Bible says so and we cannot try to reason it out. The Bible says in Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD.
As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts.

We cannot begin to try to comprehend how He thinks, because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men (1 Corinthians 1:21-25).

The thing is many men have got it all wrong, they think being the head means gives them the avenue to throw their weights around their homes. They do not know the responsibility they have taken on. They are the spiritual head to their wife and children and when we get to heaven they need to give accounts.
If they don't abuse this position then it will be so easy for us ladies to submit totally. Although regardless of what they do we still have to submit and pray that the Lord will touch their hearts.

Everything still needs to be discussed and the man having the final say so. Although hard but if done in love there should be no resentments.
At work we all have people that we report to and they report to others and so on , the world cannot exist if everyone is the "boss".

Those ladies that are not yet married are still "under" their parents and once they are married then the man takes responsiblity and the man is under God.

HTH.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by alheri(f): 3:51pm On Feb 09, 2006
Well honestly speaking, Ive got no qualms with the man been the head of the family. And thats how God wants it to be anyway.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by eveseh(f): 3:40pm On Apr 28, 2006
becos he's a man undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by jayvinnie(m): 12:48pm On Jun 23, 2006
If God's Ultimate purpose for creating woman is to assist her husband, Then she is not fulfilling her purpose in life if she is unmarried.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Busta(f): 2:59pm On Jun 23, 2006
because he is a man
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Nadine20(f): 9:09am On Aug 01, 2006
King Guzu, what the hell is wrong with you? Did not Adam eat from the same fruit as Eve? The blame is on the both of them. They were both cast out of the garden of eden. I think you have a strong dislike for women, and it shows in your words. This world is the way it is because of sin, not because of women. Men and women do stupid things to each other and to themselves. I can't help that I was born with a vagina and not a penis, but that doesn't mean I am less of a person because I am what I am. But I also believe men take this whole "wives shall be submissive to their husbands" out of context and abuse it greatly. Just because I have married you does not mean that you will treat me like trash. It does not mean I will bend over backwards to please you when you are selfish and refuse to do the same. It also doesn't mean I will not speak my mind just to avoid conflict. I have said in an earlier post that God made man head of the household. And that is just the way it is, and you can take it or leave it. But there are many single mothers [some divorced, some never married] today who are man and woman of the household. Do you think God is frowing upon that? Who knows, but I won't judge them either.

I will fufill my purpose on this earth. And just because I have not married and will not marry anyone does not mean my life won't be fulfilled. Marriage is optional. Loving someone is optional. Hating someone is optional. We all have options. I have chosen mine, and I won't compromise myself just for the sake of being married. I was not put here to live out my entire life assisting some man. There is so much more to life than being married and having kids. What about famous women who don't marry? What about Mother Teresa? Are they not fulfilling their purpose because they are not or were never married? That kind of logic is irrational at best.

God knew exactly what he was doing when he made man and woman. He makes no mistakes. He has a reason for everything he does, and even when we don't understand it we shouldn't question God period. I'm done with this discussion because it is old and tiring. And all it leads up to is the battle of the sexes, and I so do not want to go there. Peace.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by babe1(f): 5:43am On Aug 15, 2006
Honestly, God made him first!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by jayvinnie(m): 8:41am On Aug 15, 2006
TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE with the notion that man's the head of a family. Except you just want the title. At this day and age, we are nothing but equals. The man fends for the family and so do the woman. There are alot of househusbands now, i mean stay at home dad whose job is to look after the kids, cook the meals and keep the house tidy whilst the woman goes out to bring daily bread home. it's not wierd, it's just as normal as the woman doing it next door.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by omogenaija(f): 4:25am On Aug 21, 2006
u men can be the head of the family all u like,

but women will always be the brain of the family

wat is a head without a brain ?
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Cleofel(f): 4:26am On Aug 21, 2006
i agree with that.
after all women can even do better than man
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by weev(f): 1:44am On Aug 22, 2006
men head of the family?

not in my house and not in my parents house, this kind of backward and frankly ignorant opinion is why my mother married a non Nigerian and why she wept for 3 days when i announced i was going to marry a Nigerian.

@ Mikun- so who pray tell is the head of me? I was widowed young and left with two small children, my parents live in another country so who is my boss? i think right now i am the boss ,i earn an excellent wage ,i live in a beautiful home, my children are angels and i am (despite previous tragedy) very happy. My husband was a wonderful man that never made me feel like a second class citizen in our home and any man that believes having a wife that totally submits to him makes him a good husband is not worth the effort.

this is an old argument and to be honest a boring one because no one on this forum can seem to have a discussion without quoting the bible! .

@Nadine20 -peace

@jayvinnie -well said
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Free(f): 5:38am On Feb 09, 2007
the man is the head

so the women can be da neck grin
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Free(f): 5:40am On Feb 09, 2007
a head cnot stand without a neck

therefore da women is really the strong foundation in a home grin grin
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Ndipe(m): 6:10am On Feb 09, 2007
Man is the head of the family. They cant be 2 captains in one ship. One has to submit to the other, it is this equality notion that has led to the breakdown of marriages in the world. I am not advocating that the man should rule his house with a heavy hand, no, Jesus Christ did not command us to do so. As for women who are up in arms against men, being the house, I have to ask this question, "Why take up your husband's last name when you get married? What about the kids, does their last name bear that of their father, or do they also retain your maiden name?

And for any man who is totally up for equality in the marital home, I'd have to ask, "Would you let your future bride come to your parent's house and ask for their hand in marriage? Would the traditional marriage ceremony take place in your compound, so that at the end of the event, you will be squired to your father in-law's house? Would you gladly relinquish your rights as head of the family to your wife, so that not only you would bear her last name, but also your kids.

Any "No" to my answer would perhaps reveal to us, that you are just paying mere lip service to "women's rights" and are also keen on maintaining the status quo in the household.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by frankiriri(m): 8:38pm On Feb 12, 2007
@ free
I feel u
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Free(f): 5:40am On Feb 13, 2007
thnx u oooo

evrytime i say that some men dnt understand

ur da first grin grin
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by typical: 4:23pm On Feb 13, 2007
the true argument here is whether you're a believer in God's word or an unbeliever.

If the word of God says that the man is the head of the woman, who am I to argue with that?
If anyone does not believe in the word of God, there is absolutely no basis for an argument because they can say what they feel based on their own knowledge and not based on the word of God.

chikena!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by donjohano(m): 12:05pm On May 06, 2007
, because women should be obscene, and not heard.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by omogenaija(f): 2:38pm On May 06, 2007
the man is the head and the woman is the opolo wink
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by donjohano(m): 2:40pm On May 06, 2007
Omogenaija - lol.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by mekoyo(m): 6:27pm On Jul 10, 2007
We should take this back to the beginning when GOD created man. He said be fruitful and multiply. HE did this because HE knew the woman will not be able to handle the responsiblities laid before her.

The woman is just an helper to the man. She cant handle these responsibilites.
And remeber that in every word that describes a woman there is a man in it.

lets see this woman - there is man
she - there is he
and so on.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2007
mekoyo:

We should take this back to the beginning when GOD created man. He said be fruitful and multiply. HE did this because HE knew the woman will not be able to handle the responsiblities laid before her.

The woman is just an helper to the man. She can't handle these responsibilites.
And remeber that in every word that describes a woman there is a man in it.

lets see this woman - there is man
she - there is he
and so on.

What is this rubbish you have posted?

In Italian man is uomo
woman is donna. What do they have in common?

In Esan man is okpia
woman is okwo. What do they have in common?

In French man is homme
woman is femme. What do they have in common?

Your post is simple crap. Get something else to back up your sexist belief!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by CrazyMan(m): 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2007
Genesis 1:26-28

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Man is in the likeness of God so he has to be the head.
The woman is just a rib God took out from the man while he was in a deep sleep to creat.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 10, 2007
crazykid:

Genesis 1:26-28

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Man is in the likeness of God so he has to be the head.
The woman is just a rib God took out from the man while he was in a deep sleep to creat.

I don't think that passage was meant to be interpreted literally. Even the Christian phylosophy agrees that the image the bible was referring to wasn't physical but rather emotional and spiritual. Henceforth it can't be used as an evidence of the leadership of man!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by warfarian(m): 10:14pm On Jul 10, 2007
Mide2 abeg take am izy ohhh, what God has ordained, let no NAIRALANDERS put assunder ohhh, this thing has been on even b4 we were born, and there is notin anybody, i mean no 1 can chnge it, MAN IS THE HEAD OVER WOMAN, EVEN AS GOD IS THE HEAD OF THE MAN, SOOOO MY fellow Nairalanders, keep that in mind that even if the man is doing notin, or is not able to provide anything for the family and the woman is doing all that, it does not take his crown from him no mata were piss long go when u dey piss na still bottom leg e go kom
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by tai2(m): 10:45pm On Jul 10, 2007
Regardless of Bible or Qu'ran , down with all these "New Age" Nigerian women and their female lib philosophies, before "Whitey" came here to loot and plunder, a man's role in the home and as the head of that home was a clear issue. Nowadays some Nigerian women feel since they earn a larger paycheck or because they've spent their lives in the "developed" world they can do as they like.

It's this whole gender equality crap that has people divorcing each other and ruining the sacred marital institution because women have refused to take their rightful places and support the role of their husband in the household. Rather they go about bickering about "female equality"

Funny enough Nigerian women only know the man is the man in charge when it comes to "money for that platinum necklace" or "money for Salavatore Ferragamo" shoes, as soon as you tell them to do something they don't like they'll tell you "gender equality" and start arguing. At least white chicks go all the way with their "female equality" thing, they don't do it just to suit their selfish interests,

My opinion is that Nigerian women should cut this "civilized" crap and act the way Nigerian women are supposed to, I blame the men for insulting our fathers and taking this nonsense from some women. I thank the heavens for some of our well trained sisters who know the proper way to treat a man and help a family, Understanding that a man is the head of a family is neither slavery or any form sub-servience , it's an understanding of the natural way of things,
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by k0be: 10:49pm On Jul 10, 2007
stupid thread. feminists will soon hijack it like the terrorists they are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo Of Twins Who Are Married To Twins And Gave Birth Together / When You Shift Your Wedding Date Because Of Elections... / Nigerian Couple Who Lived In Empty Uncompleted Building Shares Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.