Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,189 members, 7,815,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? (46888 Views)

Re : Man Is Not The Head Of The Family / Men Are NOT The HEAD Of The Family! Read My Reason! / Is A Jobless Man The Head Of His Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by MsEbz(f): 11:15am On Jul 28, 2007
Usually religion is the reason for a the general acceptance anyways of a man being head of the family. Depending on culture and country or whatnot it's not unusual for mom or grandma or w/e to be running things.

Some women accept men being a head of household, some don't. I'm not a scientist yet but I'm a Forensic Science major and about to be in my 4th yr and i'm not so inclined to ask why are men USUALLY the head of house but w/e. My home is different to maybe some folks on here, my mother is the head of our house. Men tend to be stronger and bigger than women but I don't think that's usually the reason why but if you're abusive then being bigger and stronger helps. I don't think men are better leaders just because they're lol I don't even want to get started on that. This is a pretty partiarchal world we live in, it's not a conspiracy that women are kept under or whatnot, if you're in power or used to being in power I mean why give someone else the leg up and you don't have to or need to?

The question of Perhaps it because women would rather not lead doesn't really make sense lol. What women do you speak of specifically when you are are women afraid of being ultimately responsible for the home. There are plenty of stay at home moms who are SOLELY responsible for taking care of the house and kids and w/e else and in that sense they run the household and like I said my mother and a lot of women I know have the most say-so in their homes. When I have my own home and family I admit I like getting my way but if I do get married or just live long-term or whatnot with the man I love then I'll run the house with him but not behind him, and that has nada to do with gender, I just don't like being ordered around lol.

You asking why is the man the head of the family is already assuming that the audience you're asking/speaking already thinks or well knows even that the man is the head of house and by house I mean family too. It's 2007 now and it was 2005 when you made this post and well um not trying to think you've lived under a rock but many women have always had leadership in their home, no need to clamor for it. There ARE women (some wives even) that are the head of the family, see I'm not a total jerk so I won't be calling my husband and kids my subordinates, my house won't be the military or something. Women being head of family an abomination absolutely not, same for a man, it's who is the most capable whether they have a penis or vagina, I've never known someone to be only competent because of what was in their pants or skirt or shorts or w/e.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by MsEbz(f): 11:17am On Jul 28, 2007
Godsgirl I'm an agnostic atheist so though I have a total problem with your response I think I'll pass on talking to myself, I mean God. smiley
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Planner(m): 12:10pm On Jul 28, 2007
In Nigeria where presidents and governors do and undo just because they are in charge, what stops the heads of the home to also act as dictators. Just like how the citizens are trying to limit the power of out leader, we women are doing the same. We beg you "men" to please stay out and let us ac chieve our goal. We don't like pains in the ass.

Since families are not like countries, then Men will not act like presidents (dictators). when they say men should be the head of the family don't see as one male that has the power to do and undue or a man that listens to himself only.

Men being the head means he is there to lead and give direction with the support of the wman of course. Afterall the saying that behind every succesful man there is a woman is not a fluke but reality. Men will only succed when women supports them without which the man fails.

These days feminism has simply turned everything upside down. The notion that there should be "equality" between an man and woman is confusing and distorting the original family arrangement.

So Michelle don't you think it will be fun if your man (who takes charge) treats you like a queen?
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 28, 2007
Planner:

So Michelle don't you think it will be fun if your man (who takes charge) treats you like a queen?

Una don turn my name upside down.

He had better treat me like a queen and guess what? He doesn't have to be in charge!

And about his head thing! What the hell does he have to be in charge of when he contributes only financially to the well being of the home?

For crying out loud, men want women who work and take care of the home. At the end of the day, ladies do 100 times more than men, but yet these lazy asses want to take the glory of what they didn't work for? I dey craze?! Make him come dey preach leadership nonsense to me make him see wetin go happen to am. Ode!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Godsgirl(f): 3:30am On Jul 29, 2007
@MsEbz

Girl, that is totally fine with me. Incase you did not notice, I spoke for my personal belief. Here is an excerpt from my prev post: "If you are not a believer, then find out how an issue such as this is handled in your own area of belief."

If you have no belief, my comment does not apply to you. I speak for myself to avoid making assumptions that everyone is with me on a particular issue. It really isn't my intention to get others to belive me. Despite your belief, you do have free will. We all do.

Agape!
wink
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Godsgirl(f): 5:45pm On Aug 02, 2007
A MAN IS THE HEAD angry
A WOMAN IS THE NECK wink

THE HEAD CANNOT MOVE ON ITS OWN BUT THE NECK CAN MOVE THE HEAD WHERE EVER IT WANTS TO wink

CUTE HUH?, cheer up guys, we need each other!! and you know it
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 02, 2007
Godsgirl:

A MAN IS THE HEAD angry
A WOMAN IS THE NECK wink

THE HEAD CANNOT MOVE ON ITS OWN BUT THE NECK CAN MOVE THE HEAD WHERE EVER IT WANTS TO wink

CUTE HUH?, cheer up guys, we need each other!! and you know it

Yes, but na the head the brain dey. The brain controls the entire body. That woman is the neck crap is just imsultive!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Godsgirl(f): 6:06pm On Aug 02, 2007
Well, I don't think so,  embarassed

I was talking about movement, but if you want to get technical, Both the head and the neck are equally important bc they are both connected to the CNS. Why do you think spinal cord injuries to the neck can leave a person with Quadriplegia?  For instance, Christopher Reeves aka "Superman" suffered a spinal cord injury to the neck and when he was paralyzed from the neck down, YES-His brain was alert but how far did it get him Definately not out of his wheel chair.

Movement is the key!!

Hey, they may call us a pain in the neck but they need us!! and we need 'em  cheesy
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by geegee(f): 1:54am On Aug 04, 2007
my husband is the head of the family ,he pay rent ,sevices the cars when they are due,still give me cash inspite of what i earn makes sure the family is well provied for at all times and lot of things i cant even beging to mention. my dear i dont want to contest for that possition is his for life.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Boondoggle(m): 8:20am On Aug 05, 2007
The headship of a man in his "Republic" is not of superior to inferior but of leader of EQUALS. cool
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by k0be: 8:24am On Aug 05, 2007
The headship of a man in his "Republic" is not of superior to inferior but of leader of EQUALS.
is it just me, or does this just not make sense undecided
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by honeric01(m): 1:04am On Aug 14, 2007
The man is head or no head, all these are story story, its the person that takes up the responsibilities that matters not the one with the biggest head! tongue
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by JustGood(m): 10:02am On Aug 14, 2007
Godsgirl,

Your husband, whoever he turns out to be, is a blessed guy.

I am blessed to have a woman like you at home. I love her to bits and she knows it but she gives me respect and makes me feel like a king at home. We know that with the way we have our home set up, and with God on our side, we can never go wrong.

In every society where the notion of man not being the head of the family is strongly adhered to, family values have plumetted. The man being the head of the family does not make him an authoritarian person. He will always need the support of his intelligent half and together, they will can do exploits.

* Please check out the grown up women who advocate that the man is NOT the head of the family and you'll discover that there's hardly any of them who still has her family intact. Those of them who might be recently married; tell them to come back after 10 years of marriage.

Family headship is not about superiority or authoritarianism but a symbolic position.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by honeric01(m): 9:03am On Aug 16, 2007
JustGood:

Godsgirl,

Your husband, whoever he turns out to be, is a blessed guy.

I am blessed to have a woman like you at home. I love her to bits and she knows it but she gives me respect and makes me feel like a king at home. We know that with the way we have our home set up, and with God on our side, we can never go wrong.

In every society where the notion of man not being the head of the family is strongly adhered to, family values have plumetted. The man being the head of the family does not make him an authoritarian person. He will always need the support of his intelligent half and together, they will can do exploits.

* Please check out the grown up women who advocate that the man is NOT the head of the family and you'll discover that there's hardly any of them who still has her family intact. Those of them who might be recently married; tell them to come back after 10 years of marriage.

Family headship is not about superiority or authoritarianism but a symbolic position.

you accept and agree with your point. good man
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by amaikama(m): 2:54pm On Sep 07, 2007
check you Bible, your answer lies within. man was given dominion over every thing that was created by God and that include women.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by TOYOSI20(f): 4:46pm On Jan 24, 2008
It is so because it is an instruction from Above.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by solutionsg: 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2008
thanks seun,

today men and women have different opportunity and if you agree with me. women do better.

women canot find thier match becos men are afraid of their success. well i advise one should judge a woman not by her success as this is a gift from family and friends.

But if she dos have the xteristic of a real soft woman she ought to be.

if you see beyound this you are the HEAD.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Rlst84sale(m): 8:47am On Mar 04, 2008
I guess it is to support the adage that says that 2 heads are better than 1.

Man has 2 heads, he also has balls. hehehehehehe!

All jokes apart, I think it is because of the guts to take, face and break through risks and challenges without breaking or falling apart under pressure. Some women are challenging the conventional wisdom these days though, but they are just a drop of water in an ocean. Without you labelling me as a chauvinist, let's face the truth it's man's world let women learn to live and thrive in it afterall we can't live without each other.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Mum1: 8:42am On Jan 09, 2009
When we let go of our ego we start realising the power and strength in each person who has been created in the image God who is the power and the strength.

Maybe we should all stop and ask ourselves what do we mean by "head". Is it the one who has a final word on everything? Who will always have a superior opinion on everything? That sounds like a delusional self image that some people may hold. Such a person does not and will never exist!

The fact of the matter is that leadership has nothing to do with sex or gender. The very God that we are Trying to use to defend our positions, with whom nothing is impossible, who never ever said that the female is weaker, is free to locate leadership capabilities in anybody irrespective of sex.

The X or Y chromosome is as significant as the colour of your eyes, skin or hair in the grand scheme of things.

For those of you who want to use God to win an inconsequential argument, remember god is a leader. He made all human beings in his image. He did not create Only Adam in his image and then made Eve as a watered down inferior image. The bible has been abused over the ages to defend racism, sexism, murder, greed and violence. Isn't it time all this madness stoped.

Some men are strong right. But some women are stronger than some men. Some women are intellectually more gifted than some men. Some women are better strategists than some men.

For me, running a family is about letting everybody play to his strength. There are mothers who run the fiances in their homes perfectly well, just as well as some fathers do. Yet there are fathers who are completely hopeless in this area. These fathers may be very good at making money but no so good at managing it. And yes there are women who will take all the money in the house and buy all the make up and shoes in the city.

My own father was physically strong, very eloquent, outspoken, very charismatic, a disciplinarian, influential and could cook up a storm. My mother was more reserved, caring, motivating, self effacing and a very good manager of the home finances. Always held a clear vision for the family. Who was the head? I wonder. They just happend to be a functional partnership. That is what marriage is all about. Not dominion of one partner over the other.

This head story is neither here no there. My point? Chauvinists are just as sexist as feminist. Each individual comes to this earth with strengths and weaknesses. The sooner we realise this and make maximal use of every body's strength, the sooner we will find peace and progress in the homes, the churches, the comunities, the workplaces and even our countries.

Cheers!
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by typical: 11:00am On Apr 07, 2009
Becos he is from Mars
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Gabry(f): 11:29am On Apr 07, 2009
Raly? My family culture, the women are the head of the house ooo So no comment on this than
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by biina: 4:54pm On Apr 07, 2009
The biblical support for the man being the head of the family (as Christ is the head of the Church) is more akin to him being the team captain and not necessarily the best player on the team. Its a position of responsibility, and not of a tyrannical authority.
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by typical: 1:23pm On May 18, 2009
biina:

The biblical support for the man being the head of the family (as Christ is the head of the Church) is more akin to him being the team captain and not necessarily the best player on the team. Its a position of responsibility, and not of a tyrannical authority.

exactly
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by anyaoguluke: 8:58am On Feb 10, 2013
I have read all the write ups so far, you all tried. The main reason why man is the head and will continue to be the head is that God wants it to be so. Biologically speaking, in man we have xy chromosones while in woman we have xx chromosones (biblically the first assignment given to the family after creation of man was to be fruitful and multiple and replenish the earth. Genesis 1:28 This is the primary assignment of man.) and in reproduction it is the man's chromosone that determines whether the child will be a boy or a girl when the y chromosone from the man joins with x from the woman the result is a boy child (xy) but if the x chromosone from the man joins with the x from the woman the result is a girl child (xx). any body who feels that the woman should be the head of the family is challenging God[/color][color=#000099].
[/quote][quote]
[color=#000000][/color]
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by victorian(f): 8:39pm On Feb 10, 2013
geegee:

my husband is the head of the family ,he pay rent ,sevices the cars when they are due,still give me cash inspite of what i earn makes sure the family is well provied for at all times and lot of things i cant even beging to mention. my dear i dont want to contest for that possition is his for life.

On point..
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by victorian(f): 8:40pm On Feb 10, 2013
geegee:

On point.! God has made it so... It's just that some men can sell their birthright, thinking they are smart
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Ifetex(m): 10:09pm On May 06, 2013
1 point
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by fr3do(m): 4:37pm On May 07, 2013
This thread is damn old
Re: Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 08, 2013
Now I know what they say about your small pr1ck is true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When You Shift Your Wedding Date Because Of Elections... / Nigerian Couple Who Lived In Empty Uncompleted Building Shares Growth / Father Bathes His New Born Baby: "My Wife Needs Rest" (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.