Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,909 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. - Celebrities (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. (24373 Views)

Denrele Visits Late Goldie's Grave, Pays Emotional Tribute (Photos) / May D In Trouble at ikeja Mall For constituting a nuisance with His Drift Board / Goldie Visits Prezzo In kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Acidosis(m): 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
agabasam: what makes her immoral mr moral?........nd what made her a fool mr wise man?....
If they put most oof ur life on d spot light, u all will understand...

Mr I-must-talk-anything, Do you lack comprehension skills??
Did you see names in my post??
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
I fully concur to this piece by free2rhyme
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by dradoyi(m): 6:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
Thank God for the likes of free2ryhme...your post is the best post I ve seen thus far on nairaland. Its high time we change the trend of immorality eating in to the fabric of our country. Thumbs up bro...
# sitting back to the watch d demon- possessed criticizing such a God sent post...
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by kayusbrown(m): 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2013
Moral issues are always controversial and complicated. What determines the moral correctness or wrongness of a deed is the perspective from which the deed is viewed or the basis on which the deed is judged. Endless arguments results when the perspective or basis of judgement is not agreed upon. The author of the article judged Goldie from his (the author's) religious perspective or personal moral convictions which Goldie perhaps was not under any obligation to comply with. Life is all about choices. Choices that definitely come with their consequences. What makes us human is the ability to choose how we want to live our life. Even God does not choose for us how to live our lives, He only suggests the best way and leaves us to choose with divine guidance (our conscience) and warning that there will be consequences for every choice made. Castigating individuals for the choices they make, when the consequences of those choices does not affect us, is like denying them the right to live and live freely. Goldie made her choices while she was alive and that's all that matters. I'm sure she faced the consequences of her choices while she was alive and if such consequences extends to the afterlife, she alone will face it. Those who have the rights to complain about the choices she made are the ones who probably were affected by those choices like her Widower, her immediate family members e.t.c and I've not heard anyone of them complaining about how she lived her life.

1 Like

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Jochebed7(f): 7:16pm On Feb 21, 2013
why can't nlers express differences in opinion in a civil manner? Must every topic degenerate to catfights?
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 21, 2013
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Sagamite(m): 7:56pm On Feb 21, 2013
omo_to_dun: ^
No dummy, I have seen how much of a person you are. This is what happens when a village boy manages to lay his hands on a computer in a civilized world: he goes bananas. There is no cure for your sickness, so revel in your fucktardness till your miserable end. Oloriburuku!

I'll give you the last word.

You are a person!

So you now realise environments strongly influence kids?

Cretin, or you were going to raise the child in a dungeon?
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by werepeLeri: 8:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
OP. Goldie is nuisance in your mind because? She forced you to listen to her music? She forced you to watch her on BBA? There is still a choice to make, so stop talking these thrash like say its all been forced on you.

2 Likes

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Dukecreste: 8:53pm On Feb 21, 2013
Inasmuch as I often like to just read through threads on this forum, I'm impelled to state that this thread is one sane thing that I've read here. It aptly describes our society's warped mentality towards the values of honour and reward. The issues raised, as serious and valid as they are, might sound quite unpopular, however, it is the bitter Truth. May GOD bless the conscience of the OP.
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by KingsleyCEO: 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
O God! This is a very bitter truth that our generation don't even want to hear or see. No wonder: the world is like this. But all I can say is thanks you and God bless you... For God some times speak through men.
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by seunajia: 9:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
Nigerians generally have comprehension problem. We borrow cultures that are completely alien to us and end up not being able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Goldie's ways were warped and she shouldn't be any SANE person's celebrity, talkless of icon. Your role model/icon says a lot about who you are.

Do you even know what the word "Icon" means?

ICON

1. A sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.

2. An image; a representation. A representation or picture of a sacred or sanctified Christian personage, traditionally used and venerated in the Eastern Church.

3. An important and enduring symbol.

Since we find Goldie's hedonist lifestyle iconic, we should aspire to be like her, we should also not forget to train our children to lead her "iconic" lifestyle, Uhmmm? Oh I just judged Goldie! I'm such an hypocrite *sob sob* undecided

Hypocrite calling another an hypocrite, such hypocrisy! lol.

We all know what is right, but people keep confusing/maliciously attributing being depraved for/to being fashionable. They later turn around and ask you not to "judge" as if they don't know that which is right from wrong. We should bury our heads deeper shouldn't we? Like the proverbial Ostrich, right?

If you dare say it as it is about their fav "icon", you are "sanctimonious".

But one thing is clear, as the Yorubas will say ooto o ni ka ma so owun. So no matter how deep you all decide to bury your heads, there will always be the sanctimonious ones who won't swallow your hypocrisy hook line and sinker. oruko rere dara ju wura ati fadaka lo.

There can be no more remedy for Goldie. Whether she lived right or not. May God have mercy on her.

1 Like

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by SWEETBABE202(f): 9:52pm On Feb 21, 2013
Front page plssssss. This is sooooo true ! Smh!
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Purist(m): 10:16pm On Feb 21, 2013
kayusbrown: Moral issues are always controversial and complicated. [size=14pt]What determines the moral correctness or wrongness of a deed is the perspective from which the deed is viewed or the basis on which the deed is judged[/size]. Endless arguments results when the perspective or basis of judgement is not agreed upon. The author of the article judged Goldie from his (the author's) religious perspective or personal moral convictions [size=14pt]which Goldie perhaps was not under any obligation to comply with[/size]. Life is all about choices. Choices that definitely come with their consequences. What makes us human is the ability to choose how we want to live our life. Even God does not choose for us how to live our lives, He only suggests the best way and leaves us to choose with divine guidance (our conscience) and warning that there will be consequences for every choice made. [size=14pt]Castigating individuals for the choices they make, when the consequences of those choices does not affect us, is like denying them the right to live and live freely[/size]. Goldie made her choices while she was alive and that's all that matters. I'm sure she faced the consequences of her choices while she was alive and if such consequences extends to the afterlife, she alone will face it. [size=14pt]Those who have the rights to complain about the choices she made are the ones who probably were affected by those choices like her Widower, her immediate family members e.t.c and I've not heard anyone of them complaining about how she lived her life.[/size]

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!!
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by bamto(m): 10:19pm On Feb 21, 2013
kayusbrown: Moral issues are always controversial and complicated. What determines the moral correctness or wrongness of a deed is the perspective from which the deed is viewed or the basis on which the deed is judged. Endless arguments results when the perspective or basis of judgement is not agreed upon. The author of the article judged Goldie from his (the author's) religious perspective or personal moral convictions which Goldie perhaps was not under any obligation to comply with. Life is all about choices. Choices that definitely come with their consequences. What makes us human is the ability to choose how we want to live our life. Even God does not choose for us how to live our lives, He only suggests the best way and leaves us to choose with divine guidance (our conscience) and warning that there will be consequences for every choice made. Castigating individuals for the choices they make, when the consequences of those choices does not affect us, is like denying them the right to live and live freely. Goldie made her choices while she was alive and that's all that matters. I'm sure she faced the consequences of her choices while she was alive and if such consequences extends to the afterlife, she alone will face it. Those who have the rights to complain about the choices she made are the ones who probably were affected by those choices like her Widower, her immediate family members e.t.c and I've not heard anyone of them complaining about how she lived her life.
While I agree largely with your line of thought, your submission that 'only those affected by her actions' should speak up is questionable. How do you measure that? And have you considered the ripple effect it has? Just one brainwashed member of a family that idolizes her can create problem for the whole family. And from a family, it spreads to a community and to the nation at large. Its like an open sore, if it's not treated on time, it is bound to become messier and occupy more space. And well, it wouldn't have mattered much if Goldie displayed her 'madness' in the confines of her house; but 'manifesting and propagating' same via the media deserve the sternest criticism for the above reasons.
And it's dearth of critical reasoning that makes people underestimate the place of correct values. When a 'star' preaches thru her lyrics and dressing lewdness, immorality and all forms of social vices, it shapens the kind of values the next generation accept and this affects every area of our national life.

1 Like

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by blancason: 10:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
bamto:
Just one brainwashed member of a family that idolizes her can create problem for the whole family. And from a family, it spreads to a community and to the nation at large. .
what kind of logic is this how do you prove its brainwash....the way some people think make SMH. And again, Goldie to me was not that immoral compared to what obtains, she is always in costumes not naked like most video vixens. i appreciate her artistic value and expression of how she feels in her music videos....she is no doubt talented and made an impact artistically in Nigeria and beyond...same cant be said of the hypocrites castigating her in this faceless thread. they will be ridiculed at the point of their deaths too, as what goes around comes around. but definitely, she will make more impact than most empty vessels...may God bless her soul
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by blancason: 10:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
bamto:
Just one brainwashed member of a family that idolizes her can create problem for the whole family. And from a family, it spreads to a community and to the nation at large. .
what kind of logic is this how do you prove its brainwash....the way some people think make me SMH. And again, Goldie to me was not that immoral compared to what obtains, she is always in costumes not naked like most video vixens. i appreciate her artistic value and expression of how she feels in her music videos....she is no doubt talented and made an impact artistically in Nigeria and beyond...same cant be said of the hypocrites castigating her in this faceless thread. they will be ridiculed at the point of their deaths too, as what goes around comes around. but definitely, she will make more impact than most empty vessels...may God bless her soul

1 Like

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by tpia5: 10:52pm On Feb 21, 2013
when the consequences of those choices does not affect us

in what way do the consequences not affect others?

then why exactly do you think people are or aspire to be celebrities, if their decisions affect only them? Why go lengths to present a particular image to the public?

try to face reality here.
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by Slim101(m): 11:06pm On Feb 21, 2013
dammytosh: @OPs,

Good point but the American gangster in white house is typical of a religious extremist. Drones has nothing to do with gangsterism. Though i don't have energy to take up religious extremist who believed every action is a target against their religion.

Besides that unnecessary American White house point, This is a valid write up.

I share your view too. That part is untrue and unnecessary. It spoiled the lovely write up.
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by bebrief(m): 3:28am On Feb 22, 2013
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by bebrief(m): 3:29am On Feb 22, 2013
the Dr. Dre’s of this world made being “gangster” a fashionable thing and years later the gangsters are increasing and we even have a gangster in the White House killing innocent people with Drones….Martin Luther’s dreams became a Nightmare.

The above statement, as funny as it may sound, needs more justification to pass for a credible example of what it is intended to illustrate. Else I think it's rather uninformed.

1 Like

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by kokoA(m): 4:11am On Feb 22, 2013
Well, the world is mad and we have to accept it that way unfurtunately. When a PHD holder and a president of a country chose to grant a young man who sing about how good his 'anaconda' is inplace of a very serious National debate and calls it "identifying with the Nigerian youth", why won't my younger sister aspire to be like Goldie and not like Chimamanda Adiche?. Who wants to be an "Enenche Akogwu" and get killed while trying report on the true situation of the country when you can be a "Tuface" and have all the beautiful women in the country? what more can I say?
Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by vicope: 5:23am On Feb 22, 2013
I tried to restrain myself from commenting on this thread but couldn't help it. Here's my honest opinion:

1. The writer would have made a lot of sense except for the sentimental undertone which the write-up reeks of.

2.The writer tried to judge Goldie, thereby ending up committing a sin. We are in no position to judge anyone either living or dead. The Bible stated in seperate verses, do not judge.....judge not the dead!

3. The writer knew Goldie and not Susan Bimpe Harvey.

4. The writer insisted Goldie was a junkie, even when autopsy has revealed she died of hypertension. Obviously, the writer must have been the drug dealer that supplied her the drugs she took.

5. Why did the writer have to wait until Goldie's demise before speaking out on the moral decadence in the society? Before Goldie, we had other controversial entertainers like Cossy Orjiakor who flaunts her body without caution, why wait for someone's death as an inspiration to speak out? Isn't that craving for 2 minutes fame?

6.If his friend died for saving his mother's life, how does that become a national pride? Goldie would have done same for her mother, so will I! I know several other people who have done even more selfless things and lost their lives in the process, yet their friends don't clamour for national honour for them.

7. If anyone decides to honour Goldie, well, she deserves it, as a young lady who followed her dreams and carved a niche for herself in her choosen career despite all what the gadflies said about her. She didn't just sit in her room writing baseless, non-profit articles like the writer. Goldie was an ambassador for peace, she was the president of an NGO that advocates for the emancipation from violence against women! How else can one impact her society?

8. The writer tried to prove to be self-righteous. I wonder if he would have written the same if Goldie was his sister! We all have sinned and no is pure before God, so please spare us that morality crap already! Do we know what the writer engages in in secret?

9. Jesus had all the right to be the first to stone the adultress yet He didn't, so why do we act as if we were appointed judge over men? Do we know Goldie's personal relationship with God?

10.Whatever the writer meant by Obama sending drones to whoever, only confirmed my curiousity about the writer's intent.

Number 10 point led me to check the facebook account of the writer and I found out from previous posts of the writer on facebook, he is nothing but a religious bigot/extremist who supported the killing of the US ambassador in Libya over one foolish video! A person who derives pleasure in hearing about how some useless extremists killed a jew or an isreali.
We must be careful about how we receive other people's opinion!
A proverb says
"The truth when spoken with evil intent is worse than all lies that can ever be told". In as much as the writer made sense on the issue of moral decadence, the intent behind the message wasn't genuine!

Finally, we should let the dead rest. Goldie has lived her life, how do we want to live ours? Do we just wake up each day and discuss other people's lives? Aren't there more productive things to engage in? I would advise the writer to leave the issue of moral decadence for clergymen and imams, he should channel his writing prowess into something more productive like Chimamanda Adichie did! Before he (writer) was born, the moral decadence was already there, we already had entertainers who promoted obscenity way back before now! Only God knows who will make heaven....

I don't need anyone to insult or comment on my post, I only shared my opinion which I am entitled to.

2 Likes

Re: Lest We Immortalize Nuisance …the “goldie” Situation. by seunajia: 7:01am On Feb 22, 2013
An ability to string words up to make poetic lines is not a gauge for intelligence.

Even God does not choose for us how to live our lives, He only suggests the best way and leaves us to choose with divine guidance (our conscience) and warning that there will be consequences for every choice made.

Touché! each society too has it's ethos, morals with a warning that there will be consequences for every non-conformity by individuals i.e reprimand, punishment, ridicule, isolation or banishment. Except that burying our heads in the sand (thinking "e no concern me" or "no one is seeing me" or "it's my life"wink is the new form of "freedom" in town.

Castigating individuals for the choices they make, when the consequences of those choices does not affect us, is like denying them the right to live and live freely.

This is a total no brainer, just like the rest of the post. Not when such persons has been branded "icon".

by vicope: 5. Why did the writer have to wait until Goldie's demise before speaking out on the moral decadence in the society? Before Goldie, we had other controversial entertainers like Cossy Orjiakor who flaunts her body without caution, why wait for someone's death as an inspiration to speak out? Isn't that craving for 2 minutes fame?

Oh this guy is malicious (have I judged you?).

Empty verbose. The basis of the OP's article is her being branded an icon i.e sb worth of emulation.

To say Cossy is not a pariah, even in "half-sane" circles?

Number 10 point led me to check the facebook account of the writer and I found out from previous posts of the writer on facebook, he is nothing but a religious bigot/extremist who supported the killing of the US ambassador in Libya over one foolish video! A person who derives pleasure in hearing about how some useless extremists killed a jew or an isreali.

We must be careful about how we receive other people's opinion!
A proverb says "The truth when spoken with evil intent is worse than all lies that can ever be told".
In as much as the writer made sense on the issue of moral decadence, the intent behind the message wasn't genuine!

And he all of a sudden arrogates to himself the moral high ground. "Judge not..." remember?

I would advise the writer to leave the issue of moral decadence for clergymen and imams, he should channel his writing prowess into something more productive like Chimamanda Adichie did! Before he (writer) was born, the moral decadence was already there, we already had entertainers who promoted obscenity way back before now!

An ability to string words up to make poetic lines is not a gauge for intelligence. You clearly are not intelligent.

I don't need anyone to insult or comment on my post, I only shared my opinion which I am entitled to.

OMG! You just nullified everything you wrote! You are asking us to disregard you, No? LMAO.

And you think the OP is not entitled to his own "opinions" too? SMH

My judgment: If the OP were not superior in intelligence to you, he might have ended his post like you did yours. Get smart man!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lorena Rojas ("Isabel Aroyo De Donoso") Dies At 44! / I Have A Girlfriend But Not In A Hurry For Marriage –don Jazzy / Seyi Edun Asks Adewale Kofoworolaa To Kneel Down For Bullying Her On Instagram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.