Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,756 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class - Islam for Muslims (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class (28548 Views)

What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Why Are Muslim Students Still Wearing Hijab To School (see Pics) / French Rapper Stuns Fans, Makes First TV Appearance Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 1:15am On Feb 24, 2013
Lagos is progressing while others are f-o-n-d-l-i-n-g with primitive practices in the country.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by NOLONGTIN1(m): 1:17am On Feb 24, 2013
maclatunji:

I actually watched my classmates receive 100 strokes of the cane in primary school.

Liar!!!! 100 strokes, primary school student, how many teachers beat him/her because if na 1 the teacher go take panadol sleep after beating the child, that Pupil no go fit sidon for 3 months.
Some NLanders just cook up stories(Super story)
100 strokes?! i b like Adamu with tribal marks for your eye abi

P.S We still dey try think 43, you just come scatter everything with your own haba!

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by NOLONGTIN1(m): 1:26am On Feb 24, 2013
Sissie:
I was once flogged 40 strokes of cane, and it was 2 mouth koboko when I was in JS1, I attended a boarding school. So don't say it can't happen, it happened to me.

You don come with your own abi, when i tot i've seen the worst from maclatunji.
You know wetin be koboko, abi u just dey hear people talk about it, if your back no b like django - abeg go sidon 1 place may i see road (na broom stick they use)
Come may i flog you with 1 'rope' of my Papa koboko weather you no go reach Heaven come back - only 1 rope, once(just once abeg)

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 7:37am On Feb 24, 2013
Eneze1: if she want to practice her religion nobody is stopping her but in a school that has a code of dressing which should be adhere to, I dont believe the hijab is part of the code of dressing and if her parents want her to be using hijab they should have sent her to a school that uses it.
heartless A PUBLIC SCHOOL MAHN
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by mbhs139(m): 7:44am On Feb 24, 2013
mbhs139: Where We Learn
Students cannot learn well and are not likely to behave well in difficult school environments. Students thrive when many factors—both tangible and intangible—combine to produce a positive school climate.

Students care about where they learn, because they spend the better part of most days in class or on the playground, so they care very much about what it feels like to be at school. Is the school safe and clean? Can they trust their teachers? And do teachers believe in and respect them?

These feelings influence how students feel about themselves—how confident they are, what they think of themselves as learners, and what kind of future they see. Such perceptions can have a distinct impact on how well students learn.

Those who think their schools are the “best ever” are more likely to feel confident about themselves as learners than are students who feel they are the targets of bullying, racism, or disrespect. Feelings like these, both positive and negative, define a school’s climate—that is, the personality of the learning environment.

To promote gender equality and empower women, girls must stay in school. It is, in fact, the third goal of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG): "Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education, preferably by 2005, and in all levels of education no later than 2015." But what if it isn't that simple, what if by sending girls into schools you are actually exposing them to violence and victimization, to bullying, rape, and molestation by classmates and even by teachers?

For girls in many countries, demoralizing physical and psychological abuse often begins at home, is reinforced in the community, and continues in the classroom. Violence at school may include bullying, harassment, excessive corporal punishment, and sexual abuse. Gender-based violence at school or in the wider community spreads under cover of silence and fear. Girls' vulnerability to physical, sexual, and psychological abuse reflects the low value society often places on them.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Tohat(m): 8:24am On Feb 24, 2013
Please,I need to the principal a questiion?
If she appens to dress in christain ways of dress,what will she do?
This is unfair ........
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by maclatunji: 8:25am On Feb 24, 2013
Idowuogbo:
100 strokes ke? Oniro Oshi! D teacher na ehonda? undecided

True story. Not even one student, I remember Busuyi, Sheriff, there were others too.

Interesting to know that I have unique experiences that people find unbelievable.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by shanktang(m): 9:02am On Feb 24, 2013
as much as i do not agree wth the principal's flogging of the student which i think is absolutely wicked, inhuman and an abuse of her person, and should be cautioned very strongly for that, though i think 43 strokes of cane must be a high exagiration, i still want to point out the fact dat the country is a circular state and is runned as such and anything religion is detatched from management of its institutions, thats the reason singing of songs of praises were stoped in all public schools in lagos, the schools have regulations on dress code which i think all parents should ensure they make thier wards abide to, whatever the student have done i'm sure must have come from the high ignorance of the parent to the school's dressing regulations and i think they should have been informed first about it rather than take to floging of the student, based on that alone the principal should be very strongly cautioned.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Burger01(m): 9:33am On Feb 24, 2013
Dudugirl01: My aunty is an aSSiStant head teacher in lagoS State, and a union member at that, from what She told me,in that particular school,all religious apparelS are banned in that particular school, be it Christian,Islamic or trado, according to my aunt,the said principal is an old woman and just caned the girl twice! I wonder why this is being blown out of proportion, if it were a christian that was beaten, I bet this wouldn't have been newS oo! And beSides, I'm Sure none of our religions preaches diSobedience tO higher authority, but if indeed she was flogged 43 times which I very much doubt,diSciplinary actions should be taken against her
Trust them to blow things out of proportion...
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 9:35am On Feb 24, 2013
shanktang: as much as i do not agree wth the principal's flogging of the student which i think is absolutely wicked, inhuman and an abuse of her person, and should be cautioned very strongly for that, though i think 43 strokes of cane must be a high exagiration, i still want to point out the fact dat the country is a circular state and is runned as such and anything religion is detatched from management of its institutions, thats the reason singing of songs of praises were stoped in all public schools in lagos, the schools have regulations on dress code which i think all parents should ensure they make thier wards abide to, whatever the student have done i'm sure must have come from the high ignorance of the parent to the school's dressing regulations and i think they should have been informed first about it rather than take to floging of the student, based on that alone the principal should be very strongly cautioned.

I'm sure you meant secular state. Can you please point out what makes Nigeria a secular state? Is it in the constitution? (Because I've not seen the word secular in the Nigerian constitution).
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by akandejames: 9:46am On Feb 24, 2013
where is CNN, BBC, Channels etc. Where are they to broadcast this injustice just as the made the young lady, Yousafzai Malala of Pakistan known due to maltreatment of ladies in seeking education. Call it any name you like, INJUSTICE has no other name than INJUSTICE. there's also a concept of hierarchy in laws. Do you think the laws of a school or a smaller body should override or infringe on the constitution of the country
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by mbhs139(m): 10:05am On Feb 24, 2013
shanktang: as much as i do not agree wth the principal's flogging of the student which i think is absolutely wicked, inhuman and an abuse of her person, and should be cautioned very strongly for that, though i think 43 strokes of cane must be a high exagiration, i still want to point out the fact dat the country is a circular state and is runned as such and anything religion is detatched from management of its institutions, thats the reason singing of songs of praises were stoped in all public schools in lagos, the schools have regulations on dress code which i think all parents should ensure they make thier wards abide to, whatever the student have done i'm sure must have come from the high ignorance of the parent to the school's dressing regulations and i think they should have been informed first about it rather than take to floging of the student, based on that alone the principal should be very strongly cautioned.

You are speaking from the two sides of your mouth. one moment, you are condemning the principal's act, and the next minute you are blaming parents for not making their children to address to dress code.

by the way, haven't you read on this thread that students in Lagos schools have the right to wear hijab to school?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by mbhs139(m): 10:07am On Feb 24, 2013
Dudugirl01: My aunty is an aSSiStant head teacher in lagoS State, and a union member at that, from what She told me,in that particular school,all religious apparelS are banned in that particular school, be it Christian,Islamic or trado, according to my aunt,the said principal is an old woman and just caned the girl twice! I wonder why this is being blown out of proportion, if it were a christian that was beaten, I bet this wouldn't have been newS oo! And beSides, I'm Sure none of our religions preaches diSobedience tO higher authority, but if indeed she was flogged 43 times which I very much doubt,diSciplinary actions should be taken against her

we don't even know what to believe as regards this case anymore
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 10:16am On Feb 24, 2013
mbhs139:

we don't even know what to believe as regards this case anymore

Exactly! We don't yet fully know what happened. Most of what we have here is still in the realm of speculation. That's why I'm patiently waiting for one of three things:

1) The mainstream media does a thorough investigation of the case and unearths the facts.

2) A response from the Lagos State Government.

3) (hopefully it doesn't get to this) Judicial pronouncement on the case.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Agrika: 11:00am On Feb 24, 2013
Ha! This thread is still running, abeg make una allow us hear word, i am not in support of the principal giving a 12 year old 43 strokes of the cane, but like i stated earlier if the principal must be punished let it be based on the fact that she "over punished" a 12 year old not because she punished a muslim girl, afterall go to St. Louis secondary school, Kano, a catholic missionary school, do u know there is a mosque in the school, this a xtain school o and muslim students who make up 60% of the school population by the way wear hijab(in a christain school), nobody see that one o, can any xtain female student refuse to wear thier hijab in any of thier schools if ur body no go tell you.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by shanktang(m): 11:42am On Feb 24, 2013
mbhs139:

You are speaking from the two sides of your mouth. one moment, you are condemning the principal's act, and the next minute you are blaming parents for not making their children to address to dress code.

by the way, haven't you read on this thread that students in Lagos schools have the right to wear hijab to school?

i have not seen that right anywhere on the pages of the law i'm afraid and i'll be so glad if u could make some ref. posts on nairaland are not the law.
using of christian hym book the songs of praise was banned in public schools long ago, why would the government pass law to support one and discard the other, if they truly support the use of hijab in public schools.
And for the parent was only trying to point the lack of communication that exist between some school authority and some parent about the schools concerning rules and regulations, parents need to do more and wth school authorities to make sure that these regulations work, if not we'll hav more and more of such situations occure in our clime. so pls try and articulate more on what i posted.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 11:45am On Feb 24, 2013
shanktang:

i have not seen that right anywhere on the pages of the law i'm afraid and i'll be so glad if u could make some ref. posts on nairaland are not the law.
using of christian hym book the songs of praise was banned in public schools long ago, why would the government pass law to support one and discard the other, if they truly support the use of hijab in public schools.

I was banned by the antispam bot last time I posted it, so I won't post it again, but google "muslim students sue lagos state hijab".
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Danabu(m): 11:46am On Feb 24, 2013
fellis: This thread would have been filled with a lot of insults and hate speech if it was a Muslim school principal that flogged a christian 43 times maybe for wearing a rosary.
Good thing Islam teaches civility in actions and in speech.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by shanktang(m): 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2013
mbhs139:

well thanks so much my friend for the link u gave me i took a look at it, and from my finding i guess u eigther lack understanding of what happend there or u didn't read thru, u said lagos state students have right to wear hijab to schools, welll i'm afraid thats not true as the use hijab in schools have been banned by lagos state, what happened there was a situation where some muslim lawyers contested it, and for the rulling in illorin a situation where ur right or personal choice conflicts with rules and regulations of a state or an institution, the laws of the state will over rule. I think u should check up that link again urself.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by juleze(f): 12:41pm On Feb 24, 2013
naptu2: [size=14pt]Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. - Education - Nairaland[/size]

I hope you quote this to Ile-kewus (school where Koran is taught) who flog little children mercilessly for missing any word i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ †ђξ Koran.
All of you Muslims that are complaining, will you stop your children from attending †ђξ school if you saw how †ђξ Alfas beat them?
♍Ɣ dad faced this and I don't envy him one bit. Beating children like malu (including †ђξ principal, if she really beat †ђξ young girl that way), yet if they're beaten that way, they'll cry like babies. *hiss* agbayas!

To those who say majority of Lagosians are Muslims, you must be kidding!!!
Is it because of all †ђξ Kamorus, Lukmans and Shakirus you hear mentioned at †ђξ bus-stops that gives you such beliefs? I'm a Lagosian and I can categorically tell you this is false.

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 12:44pm On Feb 24, 2013
I'm going to try again, at the risk of an anti-spam bot ban and post the full details of the court case from several sources.

Before that, in summary:

The Lagos State School of Health Technology banned its students from wearing the hijab. The ban was backed by the Lagos State Government. Some groups tried to mediate in the dispute, but mediation failed. Four female muslim students consequently took the school and government to court.

Justice Joseph Olubunmi Oyewole of the Ikeja High Court ruled that a ban on religious apparel infringed on the rights of the students as enshrined in sections 38 and 42 of the constitution. He also ruled that acceptance of admission letter did not amount to a waiver of their rights and that school regulations cannot supersede the constitution.

Hope I don't get banned.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Sissie(f): 12:46pm On Feb 24, 2013
NO LONG TIN:

You don come with your own abi, when i tot i've seen the worst from maclatunji.
You know wetin be koboko, abi u just dey hear people talk about it, if your back no b like django - abeg go sidon 1 place may i see road (na broom stick they use)
Come may i flog you with 1 'rope' of my Papa koboko weather you no go reach Heaven come back - only 1 rope, once(just once abeg)
Lol, you make me laugh. Seriously. What makes you so sure it didn't happen, my secondary school had a sergeant employed specifically for flogging and disciplining students. It's Africa dude, flogging a child is the norm.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 1:01pm On Feb 24, 2013
juleze:

I hope you quote this to Ile-kewus (school where Koran is taught) who flog little children mercilessly for missing out on any of †ђξ Koran.
All of you complaining, whoilf you stop your children from attending †ђξ school if you saw how †ђξ Alfas beat them?
♍Ɣ dad faced this and I don't envy him one bit. Beating children like malu (including †ђξ principal, I'd she really beat †ђξ young girl), yet if they're beaten that way, they'll cry like babies *hiss*

To those who say majority of Lagosians are Muslims, you must be kidding!!!
Is it because of all †ђξ Kamorus, Lukmans and Shakirus you hear at †ђξ bus-stops that gives you such beliefs? I'm a Lagosian and I can categorically tell you this is false.

naptu2:

It's one of the sad things about Nigeria that we need to change. The constitution protects the rights of all, but how many people know the contents of the constitution? How many people know about the Fundamental Rights and Directive Principles of State Policy as enshrined in the constitution? How many people are ready to go to court to enforce their rights?

Luckily, those students were prepared to go to court to enforce their rights and the court ruled in their favour.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by juleze(f): 1:02pm On Feb 24, 2013
hamzakyana: Read your bible very well you will find answer there.
I'm tired of seeing †ђξ wrong applicaton of this verse, countless times, on this thread.
The hair should be covered when praying or prophesying not that it should be worn all †ђξ time. There is no prescribed type of covering either.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 1:05pm On Feb 24, 2013
[size=14pt]'Stop Ban On Religious Attires in Schools'.[/size]

Asia Africa Intelligence Wire | November 17, 2004

(From P.M. News (Nigeria) - AAGM)

An Ikeja High Court has ordered the Lagos State Government not to ban the wearing of hijab by female Muslim students of the Lagos State School of Health Technology. Hijab is a piece of cloth female Muslim faithful use to cover their heads down to the shoulders.

Also restrained over the said act are the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Attorney General of the State, and Director Lagos State School of Health Technology, Dr. E.K.O. John.

Four female students of the school, Fatimo Abidemi Razak, Titilayo Sanni, Idiatu Asabi Ayinde, and Sunbo Bada, dragged the school and other restrained personnel to court …

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-14506341_ITM
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 1:11pm On Feb 24, 2013
[size=14pt]Nigerian Muslims Welcome Court Ruling on Hijab[/size]

By Khedr Abdel Baki, IOL Correspondent
ABUJA, November 20
(IslamOnline.net)

Nigerian Muslims hailed a court ruling against a decision by the Lagos state government banning hijab in state schools under claims of inciting sectarian division in the country.

The verdict deals a serious blow to continued attempts to ban hijab in Nigeria, especially in southern areas, Abdul Wahab Baba Nafae, a Muslim activist, told IslamOnline.net Saturday, November 20.

“Some fanatic Christians have been resorting to such attempts [to ban hijab] after failing to contain the growing Islamic tide in Nigeria,” he said.

“They should abandon their provocative schemes and respect the rule of law. We are only exercising our constitutional rights."

The activist recalled that similar legal actions has been taken in several Nigerian states to ban hijab in public schools.

Baseless Claim

[b]The Lagos High Court ruled on Thursday, November 18, that no party or person can force Muslim girls to take off their hijab which, it maintained, is part and parcel of personal freedoms.

In October, the Lagos National Institute of Health and Technology banned Muslim students from entering classrooms, a decision backed by the state government.

Students Fatimo Abidemi Razak, Titilayo Sanni, Idiatu Asabi Ayinde and Sunbo Bada challenged the decision with the high court, asking that the ban be declared illegal and a breach of their rights.

Judge Olubunmi Oyewole of the High Court ruled that the ban was a breach of articles 38 and 42 of the Nigerian constitution.

He further said the institution failed to prove how hijab could spark a religious conflict.

The judge underscored that the institute, a public school funded by tax payers and owned by the Lagos state government, cannot operate outside the provisions of Constitution.

Refuting arguments that the students ought to abide by the institute’s regulations expressed in their admission letters, Oyewole said they did not waive their rights to their religious beliefs and practice merely because they accepted the admission letters.[/b]

According to official statistics, 55% of Nigerians are Muslims while 40% are Christians.

However, other estimates indicated that Muslims make up some 65 percent of the country’s 133 million population.

Twelve of Nigeria’s 36 states have gradually applied the provisions of Shari'ah since the return of democracy to the country in 1999, despite the fierce opposition from the federal government.

Hijab

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

The issue of wearing hijab caught world attention after France adopted a controversial law banning hijab in public schools, which came into effect in September.

The decision, branded as “discriminatory” by the Human Rights Watch (HRW), left many Muslim school girls tormented between religious obligation and education needs.

In October, Cennet Doganay, 15, took off her hijab as she was entering the Louis Pasteur Lycee high school in Strasbourg, eastern France, only to reveal a bald head.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?46139-Nigerian-Muslims-Welcome-Court-Ruling-on-Hijab
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 1:14pm On Feb 24, 2013
School kids wearing hijab.

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Ngwakwe: 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2013
Very nice, it looks corporate by all standard.

naptu2: School kids wearing hijab.

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by rbjimoh: 3:16pm On Feb 24, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
Eneze1: Giving the girl in question 43 strokes of cane is uncalled for, but I believe there's a code of dressing every student must abide with, when you are in Rome it's better you behave like a Roman in order to avoid the consequences of behaving otherwise, there are better ways of handling this issue than subjecting the poor girl to this kind of treatment.
. Lagos is not Rome! Lagos is not Enugu, ok? Lagos is predominatly indigenousely populated by muslims! A fact that muslims coeducate with Christians does not stripe them of their rights, and the fact that Lagos state allows a mrs Uptaka to become a school principal, what is otherwise not possible in other regions in Nigerian, does not grant her the license to abuse the rights of muslims in her school
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 3:27pm On Feb 24, 2013
Hijab

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Honor Killing, Jungle Justice...not ISLAMIC! / Indonesia Steamrolls 18,000 Bottles Of Alcohol During Ramadan (photos) / Solatul Fatih....right Or Wrong To Recite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.