Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class - Islam for Muslims (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class (28543 Views)

What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Why Are Muslim Students Still Wearing Hijab To School (see Pics) / French Rapper Stuns Fans, Makes First TV Appearance Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by probsolver: 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2013
Dudugirl01: My aunty is an aSSiStant head teacher in lagoS State, and a union member at that, from what She told me,in that particular school,all religious apparelS are banned in that particular school, be it Christian,Islamic or trado, according to my aunt,the said principal is an old woman and just caned the girl twice! I wonder why this is being blown out of proportion, if it were a christian that was beaten, I bet this wouldn't have been newS oo! And beSides, I'm Sure none of our religions preaches diSobedience tO higher authority, but if indeed she was flogged 43 times which I very much doubt,diSciplinary actions should be taken against her

Its a lie some of the students of the school confirmed it and even when the WOMAN and d girl were interviewed by tutor general she said she intend given her just six cane but wheb she didn't stay to have it gently that was what make it to be up 43. Get ur fact right either u or ur aunt som1 s lying.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by ckkris: 9:30pm On Feb 24, 2013
probsolver:

Its a lie some of the students of the school confirmed it and even when the WOMAN and d girl were interviewed by tutor general she said she intend given her just six cane but wheb she didn't stay to have it gently that was what make it to be up 43. Get ur fact right either u or ur aunt som1 s lying.

This is INCOHERENT.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Cypost: 11:32pm On Feb 24, 2013
43 strokes haba!
This part report I suspect was highly exaggerated
And nobody have heard from the other party yet pple a shouting blue murder here.

Is always good to balance report to avoid unnecessary bickering
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by AnE1(f): 11:40pm On Feb 24, 2013
LagosShia:

Madam or Mr,

Hijab is not a tie you put and take off for fashion.its a religious matter that if not properly handled can lead to a situation of racism,hatred and intolerance.

The beating shows the deep hatred that evil thing had in her mind for Muslims/Islam.I wonder what brought her to Lagos.
. Oga, what brought her to Lagos? Is Lagos ur fathers house or is Lagos an islamic state? In as much as I don't appreciate her choice of action, I'll d rather u dnt use ur last choice of words or phrase
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Toneyo(m): 1:12am On Feb 25, 2013
Hmm. 43 strokes of cane for 12 years old. I don't think so. When I was in secodary school back then in the 90s to 2000, my muslims mates dont put hijabs or caps until after school hrs.

That can only be done in the school mosque after closing hr. The girl might be canned but I dont think 43 strokes.

You cant just believe everything the media says. They are good at making us believing everything they say is true.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 25, 2013
Toneyo: Hmm. 43 strokes of cane for 12 years old. I don't think so. When I was in secodary school back then in the 90s to 2000, my muslims mates dont put hijabs or caps until after school hrs.

That can only be done in the school mosque after closing hr. The girl might be canned but I dont think 43 strokes.
Why are people finding it so hard to believe that a 12yr old was caned 43 times? It is possible o, I have seen a case where a girl of similar age was beaten like that by her mother.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by babaireti(m): 1:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
babyosisi: There are two sides to every story
Teacher oluwatoyin of Gombe was tortured and killed by Muslim students on allegation of desecrating the Koran ,when the truth came out,she merely stopped a student from cheating in a test,she grabbed the bag the student was cheating out of,set it outside and they claimed it had a Koran.,they clubbed her to death and decapitated her leaving her husband a widower and her young babies motherless and till date no justice has been served.

Gideon akaluka was dragged out of his truck in Kano and beheaded by Muslim youths who alleged his truck backed into a Koran on the floor.hisbhead was put on a stick and paraded all over Kano and his family got no justice.
A little girl in Pakistan almost suffered the same fate recently but for the fact that God worked on her behalf and exposed the lies
Have we all forgotten the Koran flushing tales by US soldiers that turned out to be a hoax and tales made up by Muslims to incite violence and hatred.

The stories are uncountable.

Muslims are used to using their religion as excuses when they err or when punished
They marry a child,they tell you Islam allows it and Islam is above the law of the land

This woman is a principal at a school which is multi ethnic and multi religious
No where did we read that she was crazy
If this is the first day this girl wore a hijab and the only one.ever to do so there then this tale by moonlight could be considered.

I believe with all my heart that this is not what happened
Muslims are as usual using their religious practice as excuse to get rid of a non muslim school principal and cover up a disobedient 12 year old
This is their tried and true method of operation even here in the USA.
The truth will soon be out

[size=18pt]SHe is lucky this happened in Lagos state where an investigation has a chance of being fair,(if something else doesn't overshadow the truth)
If this were in Kano,we would have been reading an obituary.[/size]

How did a 12 year old survive 43 strokes from an adult
Is she now in intensive care unit at LUTH or LASUTH?

Believe this you will believe anything

You are in the USA ,no wonder why ur comment is devoid of reality,if you want to know the truth ,then come down to Nigeria and see things the way it happened.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Dudugirl01(f): 9:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
Guy,I have no reason to lie, I just told what I heard, were u d one that confirmed the 43 strokes of cane? Were u there when they were interviewed?

probsolver:

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by daviesore: 9:36am On Feb 28, 2013
probesolver, your comment lacks reasoning. she intended 6 strokes but when she did not stay that makes it up to 43. what is the sense in your fact you claimed to have got.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by daviesore: 2:37pm On Feb 28, 2013
please do not move from the main issue.
1. the girl used Hijab in School at what time?
2. is the use of Hijab a criminal offence?
3. DOES THE USE OF HIJAB POSE ANY MORAL THREAT TO THE SCHOOL AND ALL OTHER STUDENTS?
4. IS THE USE OF CANE ALLOWED IN SCHOOL, IF YES AT WHAT LEVEL OF OFFENCE?
5. IF THIS GIRL WAS CAUGHT HAVING SEX IN THE SCHOOL(AS WE WITNESSED IN MANY GOV. SCHOOL) WILL SHE BE HUMILIATED LIKE THAT?
6. the principal saw her and called an emergency assembly,WHY? IS IT TO BRAND HER A TERRORIST, CREATE FEAR IN HER AGAINST ISLAM, CREATE FEAR IN OTHER STUDENTS?
7. WHY WAS SHE PUBLICLY FLOGGED IF NOT FOR HATRED?
8. WHAT MORAL LESSON DID THE PRINCIPAL SIGNALED TO OTHER STUDENTS AND TEACHERS AS WELL?

COME TO THINK OF IT:
IN MAJORITY OF OUR SO CALLED GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS,
1 CHRISTIANS CONDUCT ASSEMBLY FOR 4 DAY AND MUSLIMS 1 DAY
2. CHRISTIAN TEACHERS ARE MAJORITY WITH EVANGELISM MANDATE AT ANY COST;
3. MAJORITY OF OUR HOLIDAYS ARE PROGRAMMED WITH CHRISTIAN CALENDER AND AGENDA;
4. MUSLIMS ARE VICTIMIZED BECAUSE WE HAVE NOBODY IN AUTHORITY TO SPEAK FOR US;
5. BOTH SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS ARE REGARDED AS WEEKENDS BASED ON CHRISTIAN AGENDA;
6. WE ALL KNOW HOW SATURDAY BECAME A WORK FREE DAY;
7. THE MEDIA IS DOMINATED BY CHRISTIANS WITH ISLAM AS TARGET OF ATTACK AND HATRED
8. CHRISTIANS PREACHES LOVE OF MUSLIMS IN PUBLIC BUT FILLED THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS WITH HATRED AND DESTRUCTION OF MUSLIMS IN THE CHURCH.
9. 'NIGERIA FOR CHRIST BY YEAR 2000' CRUSADE NOW LEADING TO BH INVENTION AND THE SHOUT FOR SPLITTING OF THE COUNTRY HAVE SUCCESSFULLY USED THE MEDIA TO PROJECT THAT CHRISTIANS DOMINATE THE WEST.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by daviesore: 2:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
3. DOES THE USE OF HIJAB POSE ANY MORAL THREAT TO THE SCHOOL AND ALL OTHER STUDENTS?
5. IF THIS GIRL WAS CAUGHT HAVING SEX IN THE SCHOOL(AS WE WITNESSED IN MANY GOV. SCHOOL) WILL SHE BE HUMILIATED LIKE THAT?
6. the principal saw her and called an emergency assembly,WHY? IS IT TO BRAND HER A TERRORIST, CREATE FEAR IN HER AGAINST ISLAM, CREATE FEAR IN OTHER STUDENTS?
8. WHAT MORAL LESSON DID THE PRINCIPAL SIGNALED TO OTHER STUDENTS AND TEACHERS AS WELL?

COME TO THINK OF IT:
5. BOTH SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS ARE REGARDED AS WEEKENDS BASED ON CHRISTIAN AGENDA;
7. THE MEDIA IS DOMINATED BY CHRISTIANS WITH ISLAM AS TARGET OF ATTACK AND HATRED
8. CHRISTIANS PREACHES LOVE OF MUSLIMS IN PUBLIC BUT FILLED THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS WITH HATRED AND DESTRUCTION OF MUSLIMS IN THE CHURCH.
9. 'NIGERIA FOR CHRIST BY YEAR 2000' CRUSADE NOW LEADING TO BH INVENTION AND THE SHOUT FOR SPLITTING OF THE COUNTRY HAVE SUCCESSFULLY USED THE MEDIA TO PROJECT THAT CHRISTIANS DOMINATE THE WEST.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by daviesore: 2:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
5. IF THIS GIRL WAS CAUGHT Being Intimate IN THE SCHOOL(AS WE WITNESSED IN MANY GOV. SCHOOL) WILL SHE BE HUMILIATED LIKE THAT?

COME TO THINK OF IT:

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Melahou(m): 4:26pm On Feb 28, 2013
can we hear the side of the principal please
before we jump into conclusion
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by kalkah: 5:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
Does rules and regulation above the constitution of the nation?

Even what is the rules concerning disciplinary action against a pupil, am sure 43 strokes of cain is a criminal offence....

Also child abuse is another perspective where the principal is guilty...

I will advise the MSSN to sue the principal, they have a case since there is an existing supreme court judgement and court of appeal judgement on similar incidence.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by probsolver: 5:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
daviesore: probesolver, your comment lacks reasoning. she intended 6 strokes but when she did not stay that makes it up to 43. what is the sense in your fact you claimed to have got.

That was what d principal was reported to said when interviewed. So get me right am not backing her HATRED act.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 7:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
tbaba1234: Inexplicable hatred!!
i was never a catholic, and am not planning to be but I went to a strict catholic missionary school if u know one of the schools ran by the marist brothers, since am a student there and to avoid being d odd man out and also to abide to the school rules and regulations, I prayed my chaplets, i held to my prayer books very tight, i had one of the best and expensive chaplets den dat was 350 naira but did it make me a catholic. Religion shouldn't be an element to disobey. Itz very simple, if u can't abide to it, find anoda school.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 7:37pm On Feb 28, 2013
Movingcoil: i was never a catholic, and am not planning to be but I went to a strict catholic missionary school if u know one of the schools ran by the marist brothers, since am a student there and to avoid being d odd man out and also to abide to the school rules and regulations, I prayed my chaplets, i held to my prayer books very tight, i had one of the best and expensive chaplets den dat was 350 naira but did it make me a catholic. Religion shouldn't be an element to disobey. Itz very simple, if u can't abide to it, find anoda school.

That was a private school. In a public school everybody has rights as enshrined in the constitution and the school cannot violate your rights. Besides, the constitution states:

1. (1) This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on the authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(2) The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall not be governed, nor shall any persons or group of persons take control of the Government of Nigeria or any part thereof, except in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.

(3) If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 8:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

That was a private school. In a public school everybody has rights as enshrined in the constitution and the school cannot violate your rights. Besides, the constitution states:

1. (1) This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on the authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(2) The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall not be governed, nor shall any persons or group of persons take control of the Government of Nigeria or any part thereof, except in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.

(3) If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.
don't public schools have rules and regulations? And is wearing hijab in nigerian constitution or sharia constitution? This is nigeria and not some arabic country like afganistan.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 8:25pm On Feb 28, 2013
Movingcoil: don't public schools have rules and regulations? And is wearing hijab in nigerian constitution or sharia constitution? This is nigeria and not some arabic country like afganistan.

The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999) grants them the right to practice and manifest their religion in public. The High Court of Lagos State has ruled that school children have the right to wear the hijab (as granted to them by the constitution) and no school rules can deprive them of their right.

Now, are you saying the school is superior to the court and the constitution?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by mbhs139(m): 7:09am On Mar 01, 2013
Movingcoil: i was never a catholic, and am not planning to be but I went to a strict catholic missionary school if u know one of the schools ran by the marist brothers, since am a student there and to avoid being d odd man out and also to abide to the school rules and regulations, I prayed my chaplets, i held to my prayer books very tight, i had one of the best and expensive chaplets den dat was 350 naira but did it make me a catholic. Religion shouldn't be an element to disobey. Itz very simple, if u can't abide to it, find anoda school.

and a public school for that matter? how do you reason bro?

don't use your life to judge others, i hate that part of our existence. as if we have the same challenge and opportunity
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by mbhs139(m): 7:11am On Mar 01, 2013
Movingcoil: don't public schools have rules and regulations? And is wearing hijab in nigerian constitution or sharia constitution? This is nigeria and not some arabic country like afganistan.

the comment above is not out of proper reasoning. it is actually born out of shared HATRED. My worry is that someone like you, in the near future, will be aiming to be at the helms of affair in this country one day. what type of leader will you be?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 8:04am On Mar 01, 2013
mbhs139:

the comment above is not out of proper reasoning. it is actually born out of shared HATRED. My worry is that someone like you, in the near future, will be aiming to be at the helms of affair in this country one day. what type of leader will you be?
a leader that will do the necessary things not necessarilly the right thing and by then nigeria must hav split
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 01, 2013
mbhs139:

and a public school for that matter? how do you reason bro?

don't use your life to judge others, i hate that part of our existence. as if we have the same challenge and opportunity
so cos army, police and oda uniformed civil service jobs ar government works, does it mean u can replace the beret wid hijab?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by rhymz(m): 9:00am On Mar 01, 2013
sharp man: This story does not make sense. It is clearly exaggerated.
this is the first comment here that points to main fact here, the story is an exaggerated one.
It makes no sense that a principal will flog a little girl of 12yrs 43 strokes of the cane just for wearing Hijab. All we have is the story of a journalist whose religious allegiance we don't even know. It takes common sense to figure out that this is pure journalistic embelishment, an exaggerated version of what realy happened. Until the school or the Principal releases her own side of the story, I am afraid I can't believe this obviously flawed and exaggerated story.
By the way, every student should stick to the accepted mode of dressing in school, if it violates the rules, don't expect to be treated with understanding. I doubt there is any such right that allows anyone to exhibit or manifest every aspect of your religion everywhere you go as claimed by the writer, it is obvious that there is no objectivity in this write up. Its motive is to steer emotions in people and nothing more. 43 strokes indeed!
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by rhymz(m): 9:07am On Mar 01, 2013
naptu2:

The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999) grants them the right to practice and manifest their religion in public. The High Court of Lagos State has ruled that school children have the right to wear the hijab (as granted to them by the constitution) and no school rules can deprive them of their right.

Now, are you saying the school is superior to the court and the constitution?
Bullshyt!
Can you point out the section in the constitution that confers rights to female muslim students to wear hijabs or physically manifest themselves in way not consistent with the rules and regulation guiding any public organizations code of dressing. It will be interesting to read that.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 9:15am On Mar 01, 2013
rhymz: Bullshyt!
Can you point out the section in the constitution that confers rights to female muslim students to wear hijabs or physically manifest themselves in way not consistent with the rules and regulation guiding any public organizations code of dressing. It will be interesting to read that.

Chai! How many times will I repeat myself? Go through the thread, I've already posted the relevant sections of the constitution, I've posted the court judgement, etc.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by JaaizTech: 9:23am On Mar 01, 2013
rhymz: this is the first comment here that points to main fact here, the story is an exaggerated one.
It makes no sense that a principal will flog a little girl of 12yrs 43 strokes of the cane just for wearing Hijab. All we have is the story of a journalist whose religious allegiance we don't even know. It takes common sense to figure out that this is pure journalistic embelishment, an exaggerated version of what realy happened. Until the school or the Principal releases her own side of the story, I am afraid I can't believe this obviously flawed and exaggerated story.
By the way, every student should stick to the accepted mode of dressing in school, if it violates the rules, don't expect to be treated with understanding. I doubt there is any such right that allows anyone to exhibit or manifest every aspect of your religion everywhere you go as claimed by the writer, it is obvious that there is no objectivity in this write up. Its motive is to steer emotions in people and nothing more. 43 strokes indeed!

If you are truly a sincere person, then you would have sought for the Principal's denial or side of the story before making this post, but you wouldn't because your mind is made up to be hateful to anything Islamic not because of any reasonable rationale but that is the way many of you are. The Principal's response and the Vice's was reported in the punch news paper; and just like many of you she was evasive at best.

http://www.punchng.com/metro/outrage-as-principal-flogs-pupil-for-wearing-hijab/

It was learnt that Aisha wore the scarf outside the class in the school premises on February, 5, but she was apprehended by Ukpaka, who had warned against such practice.

It was said the principal immediately called an emergency assembly after apprehending the teenager to address the issue.

A pupil on the assembly, who pleaded anonymity for the fear of reprisal, said Aishat was given no fewer than 43 strokes of the cane.

She said, “At about 4pm on that day; we had closed before we heard that there was an emergency assembly.

“The principal addressed us and warned that if we didn’t stop putting on religious outfit during the school hours, we were going to get into trouble. She subsequently called on Aisha and gave her about 43 lashes.

“Some of us started crying on the assembly. Her body was covered with marks of the cane. The principal had warned us before, but that day was more serious.”

Aisha told our correspondent that since the school had closed, she thought that the principal’s warning would no more apply. She was however, prevented from talking further by her father, Rasak Alabi.

When contacted, the principal declined comment, saying as a civil servant, she was not allowed to talk to the press.

The Vice principal of the school, Mr. S. Ajide, however, said the school had appealed to the parent of the pupil.

He said, “The principal is not a harsh person. The beating just came like that. We have pleaded with the father of the girl and he has accepted.”

Rasak, who had earlier said he wanted his daughter to forger the “sad experience”, however, insisted that there was no basis for the beating because her daughter did not flout any law.

- See more at: http://www.punchng.com/metro/outrage-as-principal-flogs-pupil-for-wearing-hijab/#sthash.I3VIwIJi.dpuf
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 9:24am On Mar 01, 2013
Ok, I'm going to round up all my posts and repost them, I just hope someone won't ask me to do it again 2 pages down the line.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 9:32am On Mar 01, 2013
I'm going to go this way

1) Court Judgement

2) Relevant sections of the constitution.

3) Legal interpretations.

4) Similar case in the UK.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 9:32am On Mar 01, 2013
[size=14pt]'Stop Ban On Religious Attires in Schools'.[/size]

Asia Africa Intelligence Wire | November 17, 2004

(From P.M. News (Nigeria) - AAGM)

An Ikeja High Court has ordered the Lagos State Government not to ban the wearing of hijab by female Muslim students of the Lagos State School of Health Technology. Hijab is a piece of cloth female Muslim faithful use to cover their heads down to the shoulders.

Also restrained over the said act are the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Attorney General of the State, and Director Lagos State School of Health Technology, Dr. E.K.O. John.

Four female students of the school, Fatimo Abidemi Razak, Titilayo Sanni, Idiatu Asabi Ayinde, and Sunbo Bada, dragged the school and other restrained personnel to court …

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-14506341_ITM
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 9:34am On Mar 01, 2013
[size=14pt]Nigerian Muslims Welcome Court Ruling on Hijab[/size]

By Khedr Abdel Baki, IOL Correspondent
ABUJA, November 20
(IslamOnline.net)

Nigerian Muslims hailed a court ruling against a decision by the Lagos state government banning hijab in state schools under claims of inciting sectarian division in the country.

The verdict deals a serious blow to continued attempts to ban hijab in Nigeria, especially in southern areas, Abdul Wahab Baba Nafae, a Muslim activist, told IslamOnline.net Saturday, November 20.

“Some fanatic Christians have been resorting to such attempts [to ban hijab] after failing to contain the growing Islamic tide in Nigeria,” he said.

“They should abandon their provocative schemes and respect the rule of law. We are only exercising our constitutional rights."

The activist recalled that similar legal actions has been taken in several Nigerian states to ban hijab in public schools.

Baseless Claim

[b]The Lagos High Court ruled on Thursday, November 18, that no party or person can force Muslim girls to take off their hijab which, it maintained, is part and parcel of personal freedoms.

In October, the Lagos National Institute of Health and Technology banned Muslim students from entering classrooms, a decision backed by the state government.

Students Fatimo Abidemi Razak, Titilayo Sanni, Idiatu Asabi Ayinde and Sunbo Bada challenged the decision with the high court, asking that the ban be declared illegal and a breach of their rights.

Judge Olubunmi Oyewole of the High Court ruled that the ban was a breach of articles 38 and 42 of the Nigerian constitution.

He further said the institution failed to prove how hijab could spark a religious conflict.

The judge underscored that the institute, a public school funded by tax payers and owned by the Lagos state government, cannot operate outside the provisions of Constitution.

Refuting arguments that the students ought to abide by the institute’s regulations expressed in their admission letters, Oyewole said they did not waive their rights to their religious beliefs and practice merely because they accepted the admission letters.[/b]

According to official statistics, 55% of Nigerians are Muslims while 40% are Christians.

However, other estimates indicated that Muslims make up some 65 percent of the country’s 133 million population.

Twelve of Nigeria’s 36 states have gradually applied the provisions of Shari'ah since the return of democracy to the country in 1999, despite the fierce opposition from the federal government.

Hijab

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

The issue of wearing hijab caught world attention after France adopted a controversial law banning hijab in public schools, which came into effect in September.

The decision, branded as “discriminatory” by the Human Rights Watch (HRW), left many Muslim school girls tormented between religious obligation and education needs.

In October, Cennet Doganay, 15, took off her hijab as she was entering the Louis Pasteur Lycee high school in Strasbourg, eastern France, only to reveal a bald head.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?46139-Nigerian-Muslims-Welcome-Court-Ruling-on-Hijab

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Honor Killing, Jungle Justice...not ISLAMIC! / Indonesia Steamrolls 18,000 Bottles Of Alcohol During Ramadan (photos) / Solatul Fatih....right Or Wrong To Recite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.