Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? (19474 Views)

Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Websites for Portfolio Tracking & Monitoring of Nigerian Stocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Seun(m): 1:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
I know a lot of people bought stocks on the Nigerian Stock Exchange during the stock market boom a few years ago and failed to sell before the crash. Others have started buying stocks recently due to the gradual recovery of the stock market over the past year or so, and due to the very recent crash in the interest rates you can earn from FGN bonds and tbills.

Personally, I didn't buy any shares during the boom because I was so busy and didn't have any time to learn how to estimate the true value of a company from its financial statements. Due to not being a gambler by nature, I refused to buy stocks based on the mere expectation that the prices will continue to rise indefinitely.

Can you tell us about the NSE shares you've bought, when and why you bought them, how much you bought them for, the stocks you've sold, when and why you sold them, how much you sold them for, the ones you still own at this present time, and what you plan to do with them in the future? Lets get this fun thread going!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by pure123: 1:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
all
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Caracta(f): 1:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
During the boom, i bought from firstbank, accessbank, Daar communications and conoil. When it crashed, i was dissapointed. I still have them though. Not ready to sell. The dividends can be annoying...too insignificant.

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
Not actually a fan of stocks, hoping to read intresting comments
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
Bought FCMB @3.20 in September last year, sold same @5.20 about 3 weeks ago and used the proceed to buy ETI @ 14.12

Bought Skye @3.51 around September last year and still holding

Bought First bank @11.53 in June last year and still holding. Will probably hold this one for a long time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by queezer(f): 1:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
Never
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by pure123: 1:57pm On Feb 28, 2013
bought FIRSTBANK and BAGCO

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by suxes2005(m): 1:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
Pagefront please.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Caracta(f): 2:00pm On Feb 28, 2013
I'm considering FGN bonds. I think it's a good idea.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Akpaife(m): 2:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
Front page abeg
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by momodub: 2:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
me never
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought Transcorp shares,am disappointed,vow never to buy anything shares again.
Am investing my money now to play Baba-ijebu,and other lotto,I know one day,I will win.

7 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by fogman1(m): 2:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
Subscribing

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by scopusng(m): 2:09pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought Union Diagnostics worth 5Million then but the bad thing is that as at this moment the value is nothing to write home about.I cannot even get anybody to buy.Never again with naija stocks.God punish dem.

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by buJu234: 2:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
am really considering going back to NSE since T.bills has fallen below my margin of 10%; but this time with less than 10% of my investment fund.

once beaten 100 times shy.

I will also be looking towards fixed deposit; first bank jst called me 4 abt 10% rate....

STOCK MARKET is legalized kalokalo grin
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by honeric01(m): 2:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
Bought Afribank 4-5 years ago, can't even remember anything about it again. angry
Bought Firstbank
Sold my access before the 'recession"
bought cornerstone insurance years ago
bought oceanic too (now eko bank) years ago

i cant remember about 2-3 more.

Haven't bought any new shares since the "recession'

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Golfer: 2:14pm On Feb 28, 2013
Bought Nestle, Access, Dangote Flour 6 months ago and am still holding. Sold some Nestle at the high.
I am still holding my Transcorp, Access and Cornerstone Insurance shares from 2007.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Seun(m): 2:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
Caracta: During the boom, i bought from firstbank, accessbank, Daar communications and conoil. When it crashed, i was dissapointed. I still have them though. Not ready to sell. The dividends can be annoying...too insignificant.
@Caracta: thanks for sharing, I think not selling after the crash was a good idea. If you wait long enough (3 to 5 years) you may still make a profit on the stocks. What made you decide to invest in those 4 companies specifically? Was it because you believed in them, or because they advertised public offerings around the time you were looking to buy shares?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by mosho2good: 2:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought dangote share.....

Dancing etighi in chinese

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by 222Martins(m): 2:25pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought Union bank on 13/07/2012 at 4.28 because i got information about a change of management. I sold it on 12/10/2012 at 8.01. To those who think investing in stocks is risky, you either know nothing about stocks or you invest blindly without due diligence.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Caracta(f): 2:30pm On Feb 28, 2013
Seun:
@Caracta: thanks for sharing, I think not selling after the crash was a good idea. If you wait long enough (3 to 5 years) you may still make a profit on the stocks.

I hope so too. I don't like selling what i already have. I can buy more...or invest in some other assets. Selling is a no-no for me cheesy

What made you decide to invest in those 4 companies specifically? Was it because you believed in them, or because they advertised public offerings around the time you were looking to buy shares?

My first interest was in Firstbank, because of their strength and capital base. The other companies just came along because they advertised and i wanted to become a shareholder somewhere. I was still a student then, so my judgment was based on other people's interest in the shares. You know that time in school when you want to be "proud" of your own assets and investments. A sense of ownership grin

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Seun(m): 2:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Bought FCMB @3.20 in September last year, sold same @5.20 about 3 weeks ago and used the proceed to buy ETI @ 14.12
Bought Skye @3.51 around September last year and still holding
Bought First bank @11.53 in June last year and still holding. Will probably hold this one for a long time.
I think you should be congratulated because you started buying shares at the right time. I notice that you've bought only bank stocks. How come? Do your feel Nigeria's banking sector has better prospects than the rest of the economy, or are you a banker committed to investing in what you know best? Why did you choose those banks rather than the more popular ones e.g. GtBank. What made you pull the trigger?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Seun(m): 2:40pm On Feb 28, 2013
pure123: bought FIRSTBANK and BAGCO
Interesting. Why BAGCO?

Yomieluv: I bought Transcorp shares,am disappointed,vow never to buy anything shares again.
Am investing my money now to play Baba-ijebu,and other lotto,I know one day,I will win.
Eyah. One of my friends, an accountant, suggested that Transcorp is good buy a few months ago due to the value of the hotels they own and the assets, so take heart, your losses maybe reduced in the next few years!

scopusng: I bought Union Diagnostics worth 5Million then but the bad thing is that as at moment the value is nothing to write home about.I cannot even get anybody to buy.Never again with naija stocks.God punish dem.
This is the first time I'm hearing about that company. What attracted you to their shares? Lets discuss and learn!
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:47pm On Feb 28, 2013
Seun:
I think you should be congratulated because you started buying shares at the right time. I notice that you've bought only bank stocks. How come? Do your feel Nigeria's banking sector has better prospects than the rest of the economy, or are you a banker committed to investing in what you know best? Why did you choose those bank rather than the more popular ones e.g. GtBank. What made you pull the trigger?

I didn't start buying shares last year. I started buying shares in 2004. My 1st share was Guradian Express Bank which transformed to Spring Bank. I sold off my holding there to buy Skye bank in Nov. 2009.

Shares that I bought before the 2008 crash include;

Guardian Express bank
Zenith Bank
Access bank
intercontinental bank
Dangote Sugar
First bank
Union Bank
Dangote Flour
IAA
Transcorp

I bought all of them during their various IPOs. I lost a lot during the bear years and from the list, IAA is dead and buried, intercontinental was bought by Access and the shares allotted almost meaningless, Union bank has also lost so much value.

The reason I didn't lust them initially is because I decided to leave those ones and start a new trading account.

I prefer bank healthy bank stocks cos they are highly liquid and as long as the economy is doing well, the banking sector will do well and they also pay regular dividends.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought 100,000 shares of Access at #7 per share just to stop one lady stock broker from 'disturbing' me.

That was a few weeks before the crash of 2008.Now its over #11 per share.So I stand to make a cool profit if I decide to sell.

The thing is most peeps crying are/were the follow-follow dummies who didn't know jack 'bout equities.

They saw it as a quick HIT as against building a long term potfolio of equities from firms with strong fundamentals.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts / Investment Idea Needed. I Have N3m Idle Fund To Invest. / Nigeria Stock Market Among The Top 5 Global Performers In 2017: CNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.