Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? (19471 Views)

Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Websites for Portfolio Tracking & Monitoring of Nigerian Stocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by luckgood(m): 2:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
DOES ANYBODY AWARE OF NEWLY ISSUE STOCK THAT'S IN THE MARKET AT LEAST FOR NOW...PLS!
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by rhames(m): 2:59pm On Feb 28, 2013
A lot of people bought shares on impulse but some of use relied heavily on experienced market players and stockbrokers to do the picking with a lot of research and visible facts. There are a lot of issues to consider when playing the markets. If you are a trader you will rely more on 100-200day price moving average or the results.But if you are a long term oriented person like me, you wont be bothered about those loses particularly when you know that recession is the businessman and investors best friend. I lost close to N5million in the market buying banking stocks,like First Bank,UBA,Access and Union bank where i lost close to N3.5m, the other one is NAHCO Aviance where i lost N1.5m due to fall in price.However , i am being compensated every year by NAHCO with bonuses to compensate for the loss even before the fall. I sold these shares at a discount of more than 75% and sent everything back to Nestle @ N110.56 per share. Nestle is paying me back for what i lost in the market since 2009. Because i took good advice from experienced people. People can queue up to buy Oando shares as it has a short PE (Time Payback Ratio) at the current price and its probable takeover by a Canadian Oil refiner.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by igbonla(m): 3:00pm On Feb 28, 2013
From some of the postings here, it is pretty obvious many people need to go get education on buying shares either for short or long term.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by nerfetiti: 3:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
bought union homes, intercontinenetal bank, C&I Leasing, Union bank.....during the boom period....now am regreting. Right now am investing in real estate and i will say i am fulfilled!!!!

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by bigx(m): 3:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought NEM at 0.52 late last year. I think greed is my problem right now. Lol.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by honeric01(m): 3:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
Kamanda: I bought 100,000 shares of Access at #4 per share just to stop one lady stock broker from 'disturbing' me.

That was a few weeks before the crash of 2008.Now its over #11 per share.So I stand to make a cool profit if I decide to sell.

The thing is most peeps crying are/were the follow-follow dummies who didn't know jack 'bout equities.

They saw it as a quick HIT as against building a long term potfolio of equities from firms with strong fundamentals.

Please you need to clarify the bolded. before the crash of 2008, Access share was 4 naira? where?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Akpan107(m): 3:14pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought First Bank N28.
Zenith Bank N39.
Dangote Sugar N19.
Skye Bank N14.
UBA N29, 8, 7.30, 7.10 and N7 respectively.
Oceanic Bank N6 and 1.40 respectively.
Bank PHB N4 and 1.15 respectively(i lost all the 93,000 units of shares after the Bank was Nationalised)
Fidelity N4.
Diamond Bank N6.
Oando: i just gave them the money last year, so i dont know how much they bought it. As of early last Year, i lost about 50% of the total money i invested. I dont really know what the future holds for us, but i know God!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by gentlegg(m): 3:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
Bought Oceanic Bank public offer around 06/07 @16.60k but sold it when the recession was early @25 (d thing reach 38 b/4 the fall). Was advised by a friend to sell it then and thank God i did. With what happened to stock market during recession, personally i concluded that shares is another way rich guys/companies siphons money from the unsuspecting public. Why do i think so? Ok, how come that Aliko Dangote(was not then listed in Forbes world's richest 100) sold Dangote Sugars Ref IPO at N18 during stock boom but today same stock is N8.15 and today instead of Dangote to go poorer by value of his depreciated shares, he is the 76th richest man in the world according to Forbes. Infact, he started making positions among the 100 richest after the stock market total fall(the so called recession)
(i used Dangote sugar as one out of numerous examples) Anyway am not an Economist. But don't think i will ever put my 'hard earned money' into shares, maybe when i have 'easy earned money'

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
honeric01:

Please you need to clarify the bolded. before the crash of 2008, Access share was 4 naira? where?

Cross-checked #7 per share.Still a bit of profit there.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by honeric01(m): 3:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
Kamanda:

Cross-checked #7 per share.Still a bit of profit there.

You bought access share at 7 naira in 2008 before the crash? the same year i bought at 18 naira? something is not adding up here! maybe you don't remember the price again, certainly not 7 naira.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by blank(f): 3:35pm On Feb 28, 2013
I personally would not advise buying Transcorp. I have never liked their market fundamentals or business strategy. A lot of stories there. I feel if any one is trying to convince you to buy Transcorp it is because the person is trying to offload his shares.

Seun:

Eyah. One of my friends, an accountant, suggested that Transcorp is good buy a few months ago due to the value of the hotels they own and the assets, so take heart, your losses maybe reduced in the next few years!
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by dokunbam(m): 3:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought fbn and access bank 2 yrs ago for 10 and 9 naira respectively and sold if for N19.99 and N11.86 this year.

I have gtb and fcmb but I don't want to sell now
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by honeric01(m): 4:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
dokunbam: I bought fbn and access bank 2 yrs ago for 10 and 9 naira respectively and sold if for N19.99 and N11.86 this year.

I have gtb and fcmb but I don't want to sell now

I alos bought FCMB and first bank. for now, they mean nothing to me, more than 60% loss for now on all shares. (value face)
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by chegson: 4:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought First Bank and Wema Bank shares many years ago,wben it was a pride having share certificates inside your cupboard. Their Dividends were highly rewarding. I was impressed by the amounts I made through transfer of parts of the sbares then. I ve sold all my Wema shares, but I stil have some of First Bank.
I invested also In Access, zenith,BAGCO and some others with highly annoying dividends.
I got my fingers burnt by investing in Transcorp. I am always moved to tears each time I set my eyes on my Transcorp share certificate. It was a great lesson for me.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
i started buying shares since when i was in primary school cool ....well it was my dad dat bought for my siblings and I. Over the past 20yrs and more, i have accrued 15,000 shares of UACN property, 39,000 Nestle foods, 61,500 First bank, 2150 Mobil Oil, and 55,000 of Guinness Nigeria. I didn't buy from any of the new generation banks cos i knew d market price was fraudulently inflated by the bank and wit help of stock brokers.

My dad tot me d rudiments of stock broking...so when d market crashed and ppl were crying and started panic selling, i started buying. If u have first bank shares, [size=38pt]DO NOT....I REPEAT...DO NOT SELL IT[/size] except u are a regular trader dat look to profit from bonus shares...cos first bank is d only company dat gives 1 to 1 every 5yrs.....and pay good dividend (5naira).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by husu(m): 4:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
Akpan107: I bought First Bank N28.
Zenith Bank N39.
Dangote Sugar N19.
Skye Bank N14.
UBA N29, 8, 7.30, 7.10 and N7 respectively.
Oceanic Bank N6 and 1.40 respectively.
Bank PHB N4 and 1.15 respectively(i lost all the 93,000 units of shares after the Bank was Nationalised)
Fidelity N4.
Diamond Bank N6.
Oando: i just gave them the money last year, so i dont know how much they bought it. As of early last Year, i lost about 50% of the total money i invested. I dont really know what the future holds for us, but i know God!

@Akpan, dangote has given 1:4 bonus and some dividends since 2008, zenith bank has given some dividends and some bonuses, 1:2, 1:4, etc. In oceanic bank you will gain in the future after ETI Aquired it at 10:1. Bank PHB is gone for good. fidelity and diamond will still rise.
I invested seriously in oceanic and Bnk phb, that one is gone for good. I bought at 16.00,14.00 and 11.00.i still cool off with some zenith, dansugar, skye ,uba etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
If you wanna make a kill in Nigeria, make sure you have funds to buy at least 5% of any company stock and be a Director, anything less in this clime doesnt just make sense financially. I advise people to get brokers in USA and trade with established Stocks in USA using Merryl Edge, Charlesschwab or Etrade, simply the best way to sleep while your funds keep growing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by valdubem(m): 5:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought ten thousand units of Transcorp shares. The company isn't a viable place to invest though
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by lycro(m): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
Check out my signature on ma profile to receive the dstv software for p.c and phones for free cos the system didn't allow to post the site.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Revolva(m): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
I regret ever buying shares @ transcorp....biggest ripper of all time bastards
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by frond: 5:32pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought Transcorp @ 0.57 and sold @ 1.50 last two weeks. I bought then because I believed the company was undervalued and that the only problem with the company was lack of experienced manager. Thank God Elumelu came on board. I still believe it to be a valued company. The share is good to buy @ 1.20, this is where I want to buy again. For now I am out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 28, 2013
Caracta: During the boom, i bought from firstbank, accessbank, Daar communications and conoil. When it crashed, i was dissapointed. I still have them though. Not ready to sell. The dividends can be annoying...too insignificant.
just about a summary of mine too
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by allout: 5:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
Retained 1st bank and GT bank + Niger insurance simply because of its name! undecided Sold the rest!
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2013
house i would like to know which shares i should buy. guinness nigeria plc or NBL plc. i really need to make a quick decision on which of them is viable.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by vanstanzy(m): 5:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought Trade bank stocks when it used to be in existence and lost 'em when the bank went under. I sold a stock but cant remember which now. Presently, i own 2 bank stocks (1st bank n access bank) but aint keen on owning more. Not with the poor performance of the NSE.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by komek(m): 5:47pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought Acess bank, Dangote and Daarsat shares then with the hope that when I come back from NYSC, I will sell and use the money to do my PG. Unfortunately for me , that same year the share fell with over 80%. Though my shares are still with me and iam being hopeful it will rise again.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by scribble: 5:57pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hi Seun.

Bought UBA shares in January. Made 20% YTD. Cashed out.

I think a downturn is on the horizon
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Opeoluwaadewole: 6:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought access bank at #3.50 before 2007 nd i sold feb 2008 at #24.nd also l bought uba 113000units at # 1.71 last year jan and my exit target is 12.40.shares is good if only you know the logic btw entry nd exit strategy.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by InvertedHammer: 6:14pm On Feb 28, 2013

Pls NLS, how do you buy stocks in Nigeria? I have heard of terrible stories
about brokers in Nigeria. I wanted to open a brokerage account but the
complaints of shares certificates per non-delivery, fraud, etc. scared me off.

Do you have any reliable broker(s) that you have used? Please do share.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by free2ryhme: 6:21pm On Feb 28, 2013
InvertedHammer:
Pls NLS, how do you buy stocks in Nigeria? I have heard of terrible stories
about brokers in Nigeria. I wanted to open a brokerage account but the
complaints of shares certificates per non-delivery, fraud, etc. scared me off.

Do you have any reliable broker(s) that you have used? Please do share.

go see seun he has his cronies in the stock exhange but beware!!!!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts / Investment Idea Needed. I Have N3m Idle Fund To Invest. / Nigeria Stock Market Among The Top 5 Global Performers In 2017: CNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.