Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? (19473 Views)

Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Websites for Portfolio Tracking & Monitoring of Nigerian Stocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Butoneday2(m): 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
Not yet, But_one_day.....
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by emmanial: 10:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
l bought UBN & Equity assur while my Mum also bought Transcorp & Linkassure.All d shares were bought in de yr 2008.l don't wnt to be rememba it again cos its disturbing.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 28, 2013
I hope the day comes when Nairaland is viable enough to be floated on the NSE. . . .I am certain its IPO would be oversubscribed by those of us that are enthusiasts. One only wonders whether Seun would ever be 'big-picture minded' enough to jettison this his 'na only me own Nairaland' mindset. Maybe he should take a cue from Zuckerberg and Facebook. . . . .which reminds me: why is it that no Internet/technology company is listed on the NSE (I stand to be corrected)? Naija get long way to go oh.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Obinnau(m): 10:20pm On Feb 28, 2013
Obinnau: Pls gentlemen in d house, how does the stock market work? What is the minimum amount that can be used to purchase stocks? Am very young and inexperienced. I was attracted to it here on NL by seun's posts.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by dmcdad: 10:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought Zenith Bank shares in 2007 @38.90 at that time. The painful thing was, it rose up to 58-60 before the crash... After the crash, that was when I realized I would have sold it when it got as high as 60. Anywayz, at that time, one didn't know it will hit the rock hard.

Well.. Its gradually rising again. Lets see what becomes of it in the next 5-10 years...
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by joshuaidibia(m): 11:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
i bot Garri fr #20. Nd sold it fr #100. Xpecialy during d flood.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by playahP(m): 11:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bouught into japaul oil in 2006 @ 3N abi 7N; I sold It late 2007 @ 13N and it fetched some cool cash for me.

That was the only one I bought into!

My dad bought into dangote sugar or something like dat and he nutured it till the stock crashed!

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by KayDee4: 6:17am On Mar 01, 2013
val_dubem: I bought ten thousand units of Transcorp shares. The company isn't a viable place to invest though
Revolva: I regret ever buying shares @ transcorp....biggest ripper of all time bastards

Sorry !!!
Transcorp was a fraud from the jump, it was DOA, and it was obvious from the statement in their IPO prospectus, though sugar-coated to confuse anyone who dared to read it.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by KayDee4: 6:28am On Mar 01, 2013
Bought : Access Bank, FBN, Zenith, Fidelity, DANG SUGAR, Dang Flour, STD INS

Sold : none

The loss was devastating but bonus shares and dividends from particularly Access and First bank have done some good to cushion the effect. The red doesn't look so bad now when I look at my stock acct.

Standard Insurance stocks have been on suspension since they had their IPO about 4 or 5 years ago, I think they should refund everyone who bought shares from them.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by 180263: 7:27am On Mar 01, 2013
I bought some years back, blindly though, and have recieve a dime from any of it as dividend. there is this eternal oil and gas, they have forgotten about me. I was talked into buying some First bank, I onece collected a warrant but very small money. I need some to advice me very well on how to operate it and earn even if it small money on them. I still confidence on them yet I do not want to lose my money.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Gentlegun(m): 7:57am On Mar 01, 2013
Caracta: During the boom, i bought from firstbank, accessbank, Daar communications and conoil. When it crashed, i was dissapointed. I still have them though. Not ready to sell. The dividends can be annoying...too insignificant.
first bank shares aint that bad
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Gentlegun(m): 7:59am On Mar 01, 2013
Kay-Dee:
Bought : Access Bank, FBN, Zenith, Fidelity, DANG SUGAR, Dang Flour, STD INS

Sold : none

The loss was devastating but bonus shares and dividends from mainly Access and First bank have done some good to cushion the effect. The red doesn't look so bad now when I look at my stock acct.

Standard Insurance stocks have been on suspension since they had their IPO about 4 or 5 years ago, I think they should refund everyone who bought shares from them.
ur stock ar stil good
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by nodullin(m): 8:27am On Mar 01, 2013
I Bought Fidelity Bank @ 1.40 in June sold at 3.80 in January
I Bought Dangote Sugar as well @ 3.80 in July sold @ 8.04 in Febuary.
I Bought Access 2 years ago at N5 or so... sold em late last year at N9.00

Oando was a poor buy for me last year @ 17 and i am currently watching as it continually does the downward trend.

other stocks bought last month and currently under watch:
Bought Skye bank @ N5.8
Bought Gtb @ 24.6
Access Bank @ 9.7
Honey Flour @ 3.08

I hope d bulls remain ^^^^

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Natudu: 8:49am On Mar 01, 2013
quote author=no dullin]I Bought Fidelity Bank @ 1.40 in June sold at 3.80 in January
I Bought Dangote Sugar as well @ 3.80 in July sold @ 8.04 in Febuary.
I Bought Access 2 years ago at N5 or so... sold em late last year at N9.00

Oando was a poor buy for me last year @ 17 and i am currently watching as it continually does the downward trend.

other stocks bought last month and currently under watch:
Bought Skye bank @ N5.8
Bought Gtb @ 24.6
Access Bank @ 9.7
Honey Flour @ 3.08

I hope d bulls remain ^^^^[/quote]

Have faith in Oando, do not sell. You will reap good harvest very soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Samj7265(m): 9:55am On Mar 01, 2013
Hi guyz am so happy for the calibers of people here discharging there rich knowledge..plz am samson by name and have been reading on stock and I really want to go into it but I want to have a basic knowledge on how it is been done e.t.c....I would really apreciate it if I could be enlighten on stock how it is been traded,how the price goes up n down I mean what factors determine that..which one is better the secondary market or primary market..just any tin that could lay a strong foundation in stock....​⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣. Guyz really apreciate you...
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by ogayor: 11:02am On Mar 01, 2013
GTB @ 14.9 last year July still keeping it

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Seggii: 11:31am On Mar 01, 2013
Please if you have Bagco share kindly go to their registrar @ 45, Eric Moore Rd, and signify your interest if you would want Flour Mills share for your Bagco share or your money. It is due to merger.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by mayoroflag(m): 2:22pm On Mar 01, 2013
I bought shares in Bagco, Oceanic, UBA and AIT.

The rest is history, but the experience has improved my training as a market analyst of underdeveloped emerging/ frontier markets.

Nigerian listed capital market has become subject to high volatility after the financial liberalization of the early 1990s because
- Our local investors do not have large enough funds to hold the market steady, so the (large) shortfall is held for us by foreign portfolio investors
- The large portfolio investors are usually watching our currency valuation which is determined solely by crude oil price (because our export economy is not diversified enough). So the prospect of a fall in oil price will fall our market too (hence our experience in 2008).
- Political instability, local, regional or continental is also a factor (see the effect of Arab spring on the market, later worsened by our local election)
- The earning strength of most stocks in the Nigeria market is poor because of poor purchasing power of the populace or strong competition in the sectors. If you look at the analysis of our GDP growth, you'll see that the growing portion reflected in the stock market is small. Sectors like Telecom, Hospitality, Retails are largely not represented in the market. The current price rises have been driven mainly by expectations of results from bank recoveries/stabilization on one hand and consumer sectors whose performances are relatively stable to positive on the other.

- The market is near saturation if not already, except there are possible growth opportunities which might arise soon (from public listings or major economic changes that could possibly affect the stock market). Watch out for oil price prospect and political stability (local, 2015 confirmed!) as well any international financial crisis. Any of these 3 factors can trigger a major downward run on our market. Current falls in the index is largely due to profit taking base.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 01, 2013
STOCK FISH
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by a1solution: 5:26pm On Mar 01, 2013
Billyonaire: If you wanna make a kill in Nigeria, make sure you have funds to buy at least 5% of any company stock and be a Director, anything less in this clime doesnt just make sense financially. I advise people to get brokers in USA and trade with established Stocks in USA using Merryl Edge, Charlesschwab or Etrade, simply the best way to sleep while your funds keep growing.
the best post in this stock market issue.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by mayoroflag(m): 5:54pm On Mar 01, 2013
Billyonaire: If you wanna make a kill in Nigeria, make sure you have funds to buy at least 5% of any company stock and be a Director, anything less in this clime doesnt just make sense financially. I advise people to get brokers in USA and trade with established Stocks in USA using Merryl Edge, Charlesschwab or Etrade, simply the best way to sleep while your funds keep growing.

a1solution: the best post in this stock market issue.

You are taking panadol, panadol-extra and ibrupofen for the same thing: there are different types of investors and different motives for investment.

Haven't you heard of investors who buy up a business in order to sell off the assets?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Insanity(m): 8:29pm On Mar 02, 2013
D sage: I bought GTB shares few years ago and I'd received six consecutive shares bonus and dividends. The value of initial shares has also increased. May God bless my broker.

I think GTB shares is still the best at least for now.

Who is ya stockbroker? I am looking for a reliable broker rite now.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Biggybountz: 11:46am On Mar 05, 2013
Please can anyone give honest advice on the procedures to buy Nigerian shares when one is not physically resident in the country, I have tried the various companies' website but they weren't helpful, not sure how it can be done online.

Thanks.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by mayoroflag(m): 5:18pm On Mar 05, 2013
Biggybountz: Please can anyone give honest advice on the procedures to buy Nigerian shares when one is not physically resident in the country, I have tried the various companies' website but they weren't helpful, not sure how it can be done online.

Thanks.

Try this:

http://www.vetiva.com/vcm_index.php

Vetiva Capital Management Limited
Plot 266B, Kofo Abayomi Street
Victoria Island
Lagos, Nigeria

Tel: - 01-4617521-3, 01-2700657-8
Fax: - 01-4617524

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by penuelway(m): 4:05pm On Mar 12, 2013
i bought Transcorp this year at N1 and sold at N1.72 for a client cause am a portfolio manager.
Also bought Unity Bank at 78k and sold at average of N1.11 thereby making over N2,400,000 for another
client.i have so many other stocks in which i ve made so much for my includes .stocks like UBA ,Oando etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by manie(m): 3:01pm On Mar 20, 2013
Biggybountz: Please can anyone give honest advice on the procedures to buy Nigerian shares when one is not physically resident in the country, I have tried the various companies' website but they weren't helpful, not sure how it can be done online.

Thanks.

Try Stock brokers like IBTC Stock brokers, Afrinvest, Vetiva or FSDH Securities, but you will need a minimum of 5 million Naira in Shares or Cash before you can open a stock broking account with them.

If you have 2.5 Million Naira, you should be able to open an account with meristem Securities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by manie(m): 3:02pm On Mar 20, 2013
penuelway: i bought Transcorp this year at N1 and sold at N1.72 for a client cause am a portfolio manager.
Also bought Unity Bank at 78k and sold at average of N1.11 thereby making over N2,400,000 for another
client.i have so many other stocks in which i ve made so much for my includes .stocks like UBA ,Oando etc.

Those stocks are scary.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by manie(m): 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2013

I beg to disagree Sir.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Benjacky: 4:11pm On Mar 21, 2013
Shares holding in Nigeria is not for the greedy. The vulture is a patient bird. Always use your own fund not borrowed. I bought 10000 GTB during IPO in 2001 for 51000. Still holding them. Has collected over 250000Naira as dividend and has has 70000shares due to bonus. Not bad I believe.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts / Investment Idea Needed. I Have N3m Idle Fund To Invest. / Nigeria Stock Market Among The Top 5 Global Performers In 2017: CNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.