Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,287 members, 7,811,860 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? (19468 Views)

Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Websites for Portfolio Tracking & Monitoring of Nigerian Stocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by khrisponty(m): 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2013
Learning...wiseman 2k that's a whole lotta shares bruh. wink
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by InvertedHammer: 6:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
Billyonaire: If you wanna make a kill in Nigeria, make sure you have funds to buy at least 5% of any company stock and be a Director, anything less in this clime doesnt just make sense financially. I advise people to get brokers in USA and trade with established Stocks in USA using Merryl Edge, Charlesschwab or Etrade, simply the best way to sleep while your funds keep growing.

I still think NSE is not fully developed for a long term/ "buy and hold" strategy. Can one swing-trade NSE?
Any input would be highly appreciated. This is a game I know very well...I am using my own algorithm.
I know that I could make a kill if I apply it to NSE but fraud and lack of transparency is the bane.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Akpan107(m): 6:35pm On Feb 28, 2013
husu:

@Akpan, dangote has given 1:4 bonus and some dividends since 2008, zenith bank has given some dividends and some bonuses, 1:2, 1:4, etc. In oceanic bank you will gain in the future after ETI Aquired it at 10:1. Bank PHB is gone for good. fidelity and diamond will still rise.
I invested seriously in oceanic and Bnk phb, that one is gone for good. I bought at 16.00,14.00 and 11.00.i still cool off with some zenith, dansugar, skye ,uba etc
Thanks bros,
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by 222Martins(m): 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2013
Billyonaire: If you wanna make a kill in Nigeria, make sure you have funds to buy at least 5% of any company stock and be a Director, anything less in this clime doesnt just make sense financially. I advise people to get brokers in USA and trade with established Stocks in USA using Merryl Edge, Charlesschwab or Etrade, simply the best way to sleep while your funds keep growing.
Wrong......the principles of investing is the same.You can do better than fund managers if you invest yourself and you understand the workings of stocks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Admitwithschola: 6:38pm On Feb 28, 2013
chuks01: house i would like to know which shares i should buy. guinness nigeria plc or NBL plc. i really need to make a quick decision on which of them is viable.

Hi,

I cover this sector: Consumer Goods, Beverages Brewers and Distillers. Here is an excerpt of a flash I sent to our clients after NB posted its dismal full year 2012 results last week. I should send info on Guinness soon. This could assist you make an informed investment decision. Happy reading..

Dear Clients,

Just yesterday,February 22, 2013, Nigerian Breweries released its full year 2012 results to the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Below, please find the highlights of the results and our thoughts on the results.

December 2012 FY results: Rising net interest expense and growing cost of sales drag down PBT and net income by 1.37% and 0.02% respectively, even though revenues grow by 19.71% year-on-year

Nigerian Breweries Plc released its full-year 2012 results to the Nigerian Stock Exchange on February 22, 2013 (yesterday). The result saw revenue increase to ₦252.67B, PBT slum to ₦55.624B and net income slow to ₦38.04B. This equates to a 19.71% rise in revenue, 1.37% drop in PBT and 0.02% drop in net income year-on-year respectively. The market responded unfavorably to the results when released, and this caused the company’s share price to plummet by 2.36% to ₦166 from the previous day’s closing price of ₦170.01. EPS remains largely unchanged year-on-year at ₦5.03, giving an earnings yield of 3% on the current market price of ₦166.

The unexpected downward turn of the company's PBT and net income year-on-year is largely attributable to the stubbornly high cost of sales and, most notably, the unprecedentedly astronomical rise in the company's net interest expense (financial charges) by 1.21 Million Percent year-on-year to ₦8.31B from a net interest income position of ₦687million in the corresponding period of 2011. In other words, the company's net interest income reverses to net interest expense year-on-year. This is by far the highest year-on-year increase in net interest expense in the company's lifespan.

In our view, the company is yet to figure out workable ways to efficiently contain its costs. The company’s cost of sales grew by almost 26% year-on-year to ₦127.22B just as its distribution, administrative and other expenses climbed by roughly 18% to ₦63.52B. Although the company’s other income rose by 480% to ₦2.00B, this increase was not huge enough to negate the damaging effect of rising costs on bottom line. Another point worthy of expatiation is the fact that the company’s cost of sales rose at a faster rate than the rise in its revenue year-on-year. This portends danger which the company needs to pay rapt attention to and quickly nip in the bud. We agree that there is a limit to the management of cost, but we fear that a slower growth of revenue relative to cost is the surest way of eroding profitability in the long run. Any company that aims to be a sector leader must devise efficient ways of cutting costs, or at least growing revenue faster than incurring costs; a continued weakness in cost management could dampen the outlook of Nigerian breweries and preclude it from maintaining a strong and profitable position in the beverages brewer and distillers sub-sector of the consumer goods sector.

The company has proposed a dividend of roughly ₦3 per share, to be paid on May 16, 2013. This represents a dividend payout of 59.64% and a dividend yield of 1.81% on the current market price of ₦166. With a dividend yield of 1.81%, an earnings yield of 3% and a dividend per share of ₦3, our near to medium term assessment of the company is moderate. Given its dominant presence in the larger segment of the beer market as well as its strong brand name dating several years back, we expected the company to have performed much better that what the published figures are saying.

Our recommendation to investors at this point is to go short on the stock, i.e. to sell off the stock without looking back and then repurchase it at a later time when the price would have eased a little. The stock trades at a P/E of 33x, a dividend yield of 1.81%, an earnings yield of 3%, a PEG of 165000x and its price has risen by just 12%. We believe these figures, in addition to other valid concerns raised above, cannot justify the price of the stock at current levels. Hence our short recommendation.

Best regards,
Analyst

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 28, 2013
@Admitwithschola: hey bro still awaiting guinness info and a lay man summary of both companies to inform my decsion.i really appreciate your efforts..thanks
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by InvertedHammer: 6:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
[quote author=chuks01][/quote]

@chuks01

What's the point in quoting the whole article?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Saladin1: 6:53pm On Feb 28, 2013

I bought Afprint shares at N0.86 when I learnt that they are about to delist from the stock market. They delisted and was bought over by another company and each shares was bought at N1.50k. Unfortunately my broker Fittco Securities close their Abeokuta branch and I didn't know if they have been paid and how to collect my money. Anybody with valuable info should please help ooo

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by ajayioluwatobi(m): 7:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
bought Julius berger and costain westAfrica
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 28, 2013
222Martins: I bought Union bank on 13/07/2012 at 4.28 because i got information about a change of management. I sold it on 12/10/2012 at 8.01. To those who think investing in stocks is risky, you either know nothing about stocks or you invest blindly without due diligence.

Isn't this insider trading?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Ribaman(m): 7:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
Fortissimo:

Isn't this insider trading?
Insider trading is alive and active. That is how the rich get richer. Of course, now and again they put a show trial to satisfy the law.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Chinom(m): 7:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
Bought UBA, Oceanic and Intercontinental in the fake boom days. Got pissed off when Access bank gave me less than 3000 stocks for my over 100,000 Intercontinental shares. Would shoot Akingbola on sight.
Right now, still has UBA, Ecobank and Access bank. However, i should have loaded on UBA when it was around N4. I always knew it would move towards N10 in a short time.Missed opp. Would Buy more UBA in due course.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Obinnau(m): 7:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
Pls gentlemen in d house, how does the stock market work? What is the minimum amount that can be used to purchase stocks? Am very young and inexperienced. I was attracted to it here on NL by seun's posts.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by frond: 8:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
rhames: A lot of people bought shares on impulse but some of use relied heavily on experienced market players and stockbrokers to do the picking with a lot of research and visible facts. There are a lot of issues to consider when playing the markets. If you are a trader you will rely more on 100-200day price moving average or the results.But if you are a long term oriented person like me, you wont be bothered about those loses particularly when you know that recession is the businessman and investors best friend. I lost close to N5million in the market buying banking stocks,like First Bank,UBA,Access and Union bank where i lost close to N3.5m, the other one is NAHCO Aviance where i lost N1.5m due to fall in price.However , i am being compensated every year by NAHCO with bonuses to compensate for the loss even before the fall. I sold these shares at a discount of more than 75% and sent everything back to Nestle @ N110.56 per share. Nestle is paying me back for what i lost in the market since 2009. Because i took good advice from experienced people. People can queue up to buy Oando shares as it has a short PE (Time Payback Ratio) at the current price and its probable takeover by a Canadian Oil refiner.

Technical analysis does not work for Nigeria stocks. Fundamental and inside trading works.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Dsage1: 8:20pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought GTB shares few years ago and I'd received six consecutive shares bonus and dividends. The value of initial shares has also increased. May God bless my broker.

I think GTB shares is still the best at least for now.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Meenoti: 8:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
Yomieluv: I bought Transcorp shares,am disappointed,vow never to buy anything shares again.
Am investing my money now to play Baba-ijebu,and other lotto,I know one day,I will win.

Hold on to that stock. It has new management.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by ihedioramma: 8:24pm On Feb 28, 2013
THE RED IS TOO MUCH TODAY WHY?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by ihedioramma: 8:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
rhames: A lot of people bought shares on impulse but some of use relied heavily on experienced market players and stockbrokers to do the picking with a lot of research and visible facts. There are a lot of issues to consider when playing the markets. If you are a trader you will rely more on 100-200day price moving average or the results.But if you are a long term oriented person like me, you wont be bothered about those loses
SO WHAT ARE U TRYING TO SAY ABOUT OANDO?
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by ihedioramma: 8:35pm On Feb 28, 2013
nerfetiti: bought union homes, intercontinenetal bank, C&I Leasing, Union bank.....during the boom period....now am regreting. Right now am investing in real estate and i will say i am fulfilled!!!!
PLS TEACH ME HOW THE REAL ESTATE WORKS
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by peteregwu(m): 8:40pm On Feb 28, 2013
my father has a Guinness shares, he is old...he has decided that he would sell it. he said I should find out how to go about it, unfortunately, I don't even have any idea of how to go about it. how do i go about it. people eyes they red these days, I no one enter one chance.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Engineer96(m): 8:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
I bought UBA in 2011 @8.90 and latter the same year @ #6 but now UBA is, as at today, #8.20.
I hope to hold it for the next 3years or more. But I learnt that the share price of other subsidiaries of UBA like prudential registrar, Afriland properties, _UBA capital will now be part of my shares just like firstbank and other banks that have introduced monobanking.
I don't know the ratio of sharing because the registrar is currently selling at about 1.50.
Plz, somebody should educate me more on this because I need to know.
Thanks for this topic. It will surely be an eye opener to many investor and would-be investors.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by John317: 8:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
scopusng: I bought Union Diagnostics worth 5Million then but the bad thing is that as at this moment the value is nothing to write home about.I cannot even get anybody to buy.Never again with naija stocks.God punish dem.

What does Union Diagnostics sell? What service do they offer? Please enlighten me Sir.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by slyk2(m): 9:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
I love this topic!
Hope you read the investment advice by Warren Buffet?
Its time to play game in NSE.
Am chilling down with penny stocks again.
My portfolio includes-
1st bank
japaul
UPL
transcorp
Niger Insurance
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 28, 2013
honeric01:

You bought access share at 7 naira in 2008 before the crash? the same year i bought at 18 naira? something is not adding up here! maybe you don't remember the price again, certainly not 7 naira.

Maybe you bought from a new IPO offer or some other reasons-or maybe u were punked grin. I got mine from the secondary market thru Maninvest on Ademola Alakija then,now at Dolphins.#7 per share just saw my invoice minutes back.

Well.. not to argue unnecessarily,the point I am making with my post is that even with the crash,some folks still made money and are still making money. grin
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Decryptor(m): 9:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
Wanted to buy from Nestle when they released their IPO but my mumsie chop the money as i gave it to her to hold for me. So i went for First bank. That was way back in 2007. Wanted to sell them last week but a guy in their issuing house adviced me not to.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Akpan107(m): 9:40pm On Feb 28, 2013
Please, is anything happening to Oando shares? Somebody should help me out abeg!
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Seun(m): 9:41pm On Feb 28, 2013
Kamanda: #7 per share just saw my invoice minutes back.
Can you post a scan of the invoice? If your data is wrong, then it can't prove the point your trying to make.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by akintun: 9:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
I don't buy shares again, but I hope to resume buying latter. I think d shares of companies like NB and Nestlé are currently over-valued because dey are save stocks to hold. Pension funds and international investors would most likely flood these shares. Maybe investors feel dat d gov would solve d problem of bad roads and security. My feeling is dat their reduction in cost is dependent on d situation in Nigeria.
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by vulpeslopez(m): 9:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
Bought 300,000 unit of Wema Bank in Oct last year @ 0.53k,sold it last week @ 1.44,bought Japaul oil for 0.58k in september,sold it for 0.79k yesterday..........all in all made some cool profits.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Butoneday2(m): 9:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
How can? But_one_day!!!....
Re: Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? by Butoneday2(m): 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
Not yet, But_one_day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oscar Onyema Completes His Tenure As CEO Of Nigerian Stock Exchange / Court Bars FG From Freezing MTN Bank Accounts / Investment Idea Needed. I Have N3m Idle Fund To Invest.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.