Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,557 members, 7,816,349 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG (13090 Views)

Islamic Indonesia Fights Against The Jilboob (tight Hijab) / What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by thehomer: 7:09pm On Mar 06, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

It is not a veiled threat. it is the voice of a per-meditated violent attack on a society that allows Religion (the various cacophonous voices of various Gods) to Rule over Constitution (The Voice of the People). Anyone who does not recognize this line of reasoning COHI and MSSN are towing is simply ignoring the elephant in the room

Not veiled at all. I just wish that many more Muslims will speak up against such threats against the larger society. They should realize by now it reflects badly on them as a group.

To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam.

My post will not be offensive to Islam.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by aryzgreat: 7:10pm On Mar 06, 2013

To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam

Maybe very soon, muslim women in nigerian police will start demanding for hijab ontop their police uniform, Army the same thing, custom, immigration, prison warders all of them should put on hijab ontop uniform so dat we know they are muslims.

Can somebody help me with the definition of UNIFORM? Na hijab go take them to heaven? mtcheeeeeeeeeeew!

2 Likes

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by deols(f): 7:10pm On Mar 06, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

Change that encourages Death and Intolerance or one that encourages Peace and Togetherness. Religious Diversity is a good ideal. see what good it has done to far more socially mature societies like Sweden and "Great" Britain in recent times. tongue, what about France? If you are going to be fair, then all students from different religious leanings should were what their religion prescribes to School.

what proof do you have that their religions have prescriptions?

or they want 2 start having because Muslims have it?

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by FindOut(m): 7:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt:

It is not a veiled threat. it is the voice of a per-meditated violent attack on a society that allows Religion (the various cacophonous voices of various Gods) to Rule over Constitution (The Voice of the People). Anyone who does not recognize this line of reasoning COHI and MSSN are towing is simply ignoring the elephant in the room

& you've made sense in your mind o. Did you even read the words of the MSSN spokesperson at all?? & i've posted the link earlier to the full text of the press conference on the MSSN website. You may want to go through that as well before displaying your islam hatred here.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Protecting your right is good but they should concern themselves more with the quality of moslem graduates coming out from the secondry and tertiary institutions.

I have some of them as friends, many graduates, especially those from northern part of Nigeria can't write any other thing except their name. Some can't speak English even at gun point. If you're not speaking Hausa, fulani or kanuri to them, then you're on your own.

It's wiser you don't cover your head (which always extends and covers their ears also) during classes so that what your teacher is saying will get to your brain.

When you get to your church or mosque as the case may be, or when you're in the comfort of your home,then you can cover your head, eye, nose, mouth, ear and brain. ...

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by deols(f): 7:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
ochukwuma15: Protecting your right is good but they should concern themselves more with the quality of moslem graduates coming out from the secondry and tertiary institutions.

I have some of them as friends, many graduates, especially those from northern part of Nigeria can't write any other thing except their name. Some can't speak English even at gun point. If you're not speaking Hausa, fulani or kanuri to them, then you're on your own.

It's wiser you don't cover your head (which always extends and covers their ears also) during classes so that what your teacher is saying will get to your brain.

When you get to your church or mosque as the case may be, or when you're in the comfort of your home,then you can cover your head, eye, nose, mouth, ear and brain. .......... Chuks still writes from Enugu, Nigeria.

and as educated as u are, you think a piece of clothing covers the brain..and prevents whatever anyone is saying from entering the brain.

argh, was your school in a market square?

too bad.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
deols:

what proof do you have that their religions have prescriptions?

or they want 2 start having because Muslims have it?

Good Question. It is common-trend, if Muslims can do it, why not Krishna devotees or Pagans or Christians - It can spark-off an unintended trend, do you not agree?

The Hijab is an Islamic Obligation. it is a purely Religious affair that should be encouraged in an environment that sufficiently caters for (Islamic) Religious preferences. Nigeria is a Secular Society FYI. for most faiths, carrying a Rosary, or wearing Kippah or yellow Saffron (lemon green in the case of minions of CHOSEN Church) is deemed spiritually honoring. what now happens when a you bring this diverse Religious-wear into secondary schools. you destroy any hopes for Religious Tolerance and Social Integration. The Teacher who flogged the girl is a product of such intolerance and hatred. the quicker we separate Religion from State, the better.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by dammytosh: 8:22pm On Mar 06, 2013
webcityng: I ATTEND WHITE GARMENT CHURCH

IF THE GOVERNMENT ACCEPT THIS, I WILL PUT ON MY WHITE GARMENT CAP ON WHEN I AM GOING TO SCHOOL

like the one this women is putting on

This statement : "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam." is not necessary if you ask me.

Are we saying posts can be offensive to christianity / traditional worshipers.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
My good friend, when your ears are covered by hijab or earphone, your brain is equally covered. Maybe you should ask your doctor.

If you can't manage my information very well as you have shown, why not forward it to your council, they will make proper use of it. Have a nice day.
deols:

and as educated as u are, you think a piece of clothing covers the brain..and prevents whatever anyone is saying from entering the brain.

argh, was your school in a market square?

too bad.
My good friend, when your ears are covered by hijab or earphone, your brain is equally covered. Maybe you should ask your doctor.

If you can't manage my information very well as you have shown, why not forward it to your council, they will make proper use of it. Have a nice day.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by NOLONGTIN1(m): 8:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
AbuHanifa: Press Release:
Hijab crisis: COHI warns Lagos govt against reneging on agreements with MSSN
The Council of Higher Institutions (COHI), an arm of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit, has advised the Lagos State Government not to renege on the agreement it reached with the society following last Thursday’s mass protest in Alausa against the victimisation of Muslim students using hijab in secondary schools by their principals.

The group warned that reneging on the agreements may result to the disruption of the relative peace being enjoyed in the state at the moment.

The Assistant General Secretary of the MSSN Lagos State Area Unit, Mr Sulaimon Dhikrillah, who addressed the press today at the society’s secretariat in Yaba on the hijab crisis, said the group was not out to fight the state government but to demand the recognition and protection of the rights of Muslims as guaranteed by the country’s constitution.

He said the state government had agreed to issue a circular to stop the school authorities and teachers from molesting Muslim girls over the use of hijab.
He added that the government representatives at the meeting on Thursday presented evidences that investigation had commenced in the case of Principal of Kadara Junior Grammar School, Ebute-Metta, who allegedly administer 43 strokes of cane on a JSS 1 student over hijab, and pledged to follow it to a logical conclusion.

Dhikrillah, however, accused state government of alleged sponsoring of those he described as ‘unknown elements’ who he said had been going on air to ‘possibly create confusion in the minds of the public regarding what we are fighting for.’

‘The Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN), Lagos State Area Unit is known for peace and we have always been peaceful in the manner we carry out our activities.
‘We are only demanding that our constitutionally guaranteed right should not be denied us. We will not resort to lawlessness but at the same time we will not relent until justice is done,’ he said.

Speaking on the case of Mrs Elizabeth Omidele, Principal, Mafoluku Senior Grammar School, Oshodi who allegedly removed hijab on an SSS 3 student, Bareerah Tajudeen, outside the school premises and also suspended her, Dhikrillah revealed that the principal had recalled Bareerah under a stringent condition.

‘The principal has coerced Bareera to signing an undertaken antithetical to this resolution more so she was made to serve punishment on the assembly for the same reason. It is our further request that the government should call the principal of Mafoluku to order in the spirit of justice,’ he said.

Concerning the demand that hijab should be part of uniform for Muslim students in Lagos State, Dhikrillah said the government representatives promised to table it before the State Executive Council meeting on March 3rd (Monday).

It would be recalled that members of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, Lagos State Area Unit had on Thursday February 28, 2013, stormed the state governor office in Alausa in protest against victimisation of Muslim girls using hijab in state secondary schools by their principals. The protest lasted over eight hours before an agreement was reached.
https://www.facebook.com/mssnlsau/posts/487485604632577

Sorry, i had to quote everything but i'm I the only 1 that read the statement in Bold? Is COHL or MSSN Threatening the Lagos Government - the Nigerian People in General?
I have a lot of things to say about muslims and their ways in general but i'm not in the mood to type on ma keyboard - maybe another time
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Dagods(m): 8:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
Smtims am lost wit d way guyz here coments,well if dat is wat freedom of speech entails, i tink smtin is wrong smwere.ever'y one wants maclatunjii's head,,UNA GO CHOP MACLATUNJII'S HEAD? ABI MACLATUJII PUT HIJAB 4 HEAD? i tire bikoo.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by afinic001(m): 9:56pm On Mar 06, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: Unfortunately it is these associations who claim to uphold righteous (fair) judgement on religious matters in government institutions that spark intolerance and also build the foundations for hatred at a very young age. we won't be around when these youths start slaughtering each other and society in general because of their dress-sense.. it will be a religious matter then just as it is now. Uniform uniforms are there for one reason, UNIFY different groups and create a sense of oneness and social bonding and identity (especially at that age).

Youths also recognize when someone is different from the accepted norm. they are either seen as elitist or isolationist or or ethno-racists, either way it is better to have a united school of young children than one where hate breeds and flourishes. If you wish to wear a hijab as a matter of religion, go to an all Islamic School where those virtues are held in the highest regard. This will allow you the benefit of a good education in a peaceful environment with peers that accept you for who you are not how you dress.

Nice one! Exactly my totz.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by almustapha007: 10:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
Allah SWT says in the Holy Quran Chapter 33 Surah Ahzaab verse 59:

"O Prophet, enjoin your wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons. It is expected that they will thus be recognized, and not molested. Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful".

Having said this, I believe issues like this are likely to be abused with time.

Today, we're talking about hijab in schools, 2moro it'll be burquah.

Afterwards, it'l be boys only school, girls only.

I think other things demand our attention & dress code in secondary schs shld b enforced.

We shldnt be going down dis road.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by tohirah(f): 10:56pm On Mar 06, 2013
jude33084:

Man you have spoken well,....I wonder what kind of hate τhis guys are building up?

I dont think τhis call will ever work because the moment you give the female muslims the right to use hijab, Aladura and shango worshipers will come up with their own religion dress code supported by the constitution in nigeria.

depends on if their religion requires them to wear the white garment or charm EVERYWHERE like the Quran instructed muslim ladies to wear hijab
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Nobody: 10:58pm On Mar 06, 2013
What is a big deal?Hijab in france hijab was banned.nothing happens.is Hijab african culture? i see a lot of turkish women who are muslims without hijab.if the girl is abused in anyway let court settle the matter.why the noise? in 80s and 90s Jehovah Witnesses kids are expelled from schools for refusing to honour flag and sing anthem.Watchtower went to court to demand for their rights.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Jimmybee(f): 11:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
Their prob is dat they do go 2 d extent of covering dia face wen given d opportunity 2 wear hijab. We want peace o. No to BH thingz oo
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by daontop: 11:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
coolheed:
You are missing a vital point here. The issue
at hand relate to a public school funded by
the taxpayers irrespective of religion. Why
will you deny any religion the benefit of
attending a public school. Muslims are
saying that hijab is a fundamental component
of their religious belief and this is supported
by the country's constitution. Any dress code
that violates a constitutional right should be
revisited. Again, dialogue with key
stakeholders appears ...

frm my previous post, thr was no place i said dat muslims shld be denied frm attendin a public skul.. bt my opinion is dat thr shld be a demarcatn btw govt nd religion... Nigeria includin lagos which is 1of her child is a secular state. if muslimz r sayn hijab is a fundamental component of thr religion, r u nw sayn masquerade carryn nd use of charm is nt a fundamental component of d traditnal religion nd wearn of white garment is nt a fundamental component of d celestial churches nd use of orange-green lik apron used by the Lords chosen is nt a fundamental component of thr sect nd nt suppotd by d constitutn? if d state shld allow d muslim gals 2wear thr hijab 2skul den dey shld also be ready 2allow d traditnalist 2wear his masquerade 2skul nd trust oda religiouz groups, dey may even bring snake 2skul all in d name of religion...... rest my case
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by daontop: 11:21pm On Mar 06, 2013
nd u nt wearn d hijab at a particular time of d day or even 2skul, wil dat make u less holy or ur prayrs wnt b answerd wen u pray at dat dat period?
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by emmatok(m): 11:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
And why are they trying to disrupt Lagos peace over Hijab.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by chiefbatiatus(m): 11:32pm On Mar 06, 2013
So what the muslims are saying is that its their right to wear hijab in school? Okay please can any muslim in the house tell me what he or she thinks if white garment church also come for their right to wear white cap on the uniform? Then followed by traditionalists like where am from who wear red cap, so can they exercise their own right too? Then and so on and so forth the state begins to grant all religious groups their rights in the public school dress code, so in the end will there be need for a uniform? So please one of you muslims tell us
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by TheClown: 11:38pm On Mar 06, 2013
You can argue with muslims from now till tomorrow, their reasoning have been made smart.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, after protesting for school girls to wear hijab on their school uniforms and its granted, next would be muslim police women to wear hijab on their uniforms, next, Army muslim women personnel to wear hijab on their uniforms... And it would go on and on and then one morning we would wake up to see the same muslims protesting again, they want secondary school girls to wear niqab, its in the suna, so it has be, and then the same process would begin again.
See, we are in for it, no two ways. Sometimes I think about it and I want to shed tears, I tell you. What is a uniform for God's sake? And if you think secondary school girls must wear hijab because they are muslims, are there no muslim women among the police, why are they not wearing hijab? What of soldier women? Even LASTMA nko? Um?
When a word called islamophobia suddenly appeared in the dictionary you think its accident, or a creation of the west.
Please muslims think, sit and think, ie, those who are still capable of thinking.
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by TreasuredGlory: 12:52am On Mar 07, 2013
God bless you. You are on point.

IF THE GOVERNMENT ACCEPT THIS, I WILL PUT ON MY WHITE GARMENT CAP ON WHEN I AM GOING TO SCHOOL

Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Babadeen(m): 2:34am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:

is d wearing of white garment a compulsory aspect of your religion?

abi just like u asked for the pilgrims welfare board, u are again d3manding something 'the muslims also demanded'? smh

So you can mock another person's religion when it comes to clothing but you can fight for the hijab?

some people and their hypocri......
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by deols(f): 4:13am On Mar 07, 2013
Babadeen:

So you can mock another person's religion when it comes to clothing but you can fight for the hijab?

some people and their hypocri......

where is d mock?
abi u need a dictionary?
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Babadeen(m): 7:55am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:

where is d mock?
abi u need a dictionary?

You were not derisive in your tone by mentioning the pilgrims awards board?

You even made the mistake of asking why he/she should demand for something that muslims demanded for? Is than not equality? Should one religion get favour over another?
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by jantavanta(m): 8:07am On Mar 07, 2013
We have accepted deification of white-centered external cultures in our constitution, therefore we have to continue importing our values.

I hope Lagos will not become another Lebanon because we have no brother in Rome or Dubai; we will simply be told: "Go back to Africa and accept your brother".
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by udatso: 8:20am On Mar 07, 2013

4 God sake, pls reason like a human. Hijab is worn by muslims irrespectv of place and event...u av seen presenters on national tv using veil or hijab....d white garment is worn for worship nt a dressing code...I ask u dis, can u also wear d white garment/ bare footed to ur work area too..dnt b ridiculous
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by udatso: 8:25am On Mar 07, 2013
daontop: coolheed:
You are missing a vital point here. The issue
at hand relate to a public school funded by
the taxpayers irrespective of religion. Why
will you deny any religion the benefit of
attending a public school. Muslims are
saying that hijab is a fundamental component
of their religious belief and this is supported
by the country's constitution. Any dress code
that violates a constitutional right should be
revisited. Again, dialogue with key
stakeholders appears ...

frm my previous post, thr was no place i said dat muslims shld be denied frm attendin a public skul.. bt my opinion is dat thr shld be a demarcatn btw govt nd religion... Nigeria includin lagos which is 1of her child is a secular state. if muslimz r sayn hijab is a fundamental component of thr religion, r u nw sayn masquerade carryn nd use of charm is nt a fundamental component of d traditnal religion nd wearn of white garment is nt a fundamental component of d celestial churches nd use of orange-green lik apron used by the Lords chosen is nt a fundamental component of thr sect nd nt suppotd by d constitutn? if d state shld allow d muslim gals 2wear thr hijab 2skul den dey shld also be ready 2allow d traditnalist 2wear his masquerade 2skul nd trust oda religiouz groups, dey may even bring snake 2skul all in d name of religion...... rest my case
Nyc write up..but I want u to ansa ds 4 me...do white garment xtrians where dia garment on daily basis; to work, travel, drive,eat,play,......? Am sure d ansa is NO...but guess what....muslims wear hijab always, its nt jst 4 worship places alone..beat dat
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by udatso: 8:31am On Mar 07, 2013
chief batiatus: So what the muslims are saying is that its their right to wear hijab in school? Okay please can any muslim in the house tell me what he or she thinks if white garment church also come for their right to wear white cap on the uniform? Then followed by traditionalists like where am from who wear red cap, so can they exercise their own right too? Then and so on and so forth the state begins to grant all religious groups their rights in the public school dress code, so in the end will there be need for a uniform? So please one of you muslims tell us
Av already ansad one of u wt similar comments like urs..it wd do u good 2 check it out
Re: Hijab Dispute: COHI Warns LASG by Babadeen(m): 8:35am On Mar 07, 2013
udatso:
4 God sake, pls reason like a human. Hijab is worn by muslims irrespectv of place and event...u av seen presenters on national tv using veil or hijab....d white garment is worn for worship nt a dressing code...I ask u dis, can u also wear d white garment/ bare footed to ur work area too..dnt b ridiculous

If it is worn for worship, it is a dressing code. You just contradicted yourself. You need to start reasoning.

People wear crosses/roses as a sign of worship as well everyday.

The white garement person can choose to worship 24/7 and wear their cap.

We should also allow Sihks to don their turbans in schools then. Lords knows that the indian population is growing in Naija

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Wrote Sahih Bukhari, Obviously Not Imam Al-bukhari? / The Black Man And His Allah / Who Is/are Your Favourite Muslim Scholar(s) Of All Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.